Some ideas for a game: Sketcher Fighter? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2370 Views )

sfried
476th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"Some ideas for a game: Sketcher Fighter?" , posted Fri 12 Feb 15:49:post reply

Has there ever been a fighting game that focused solely on projectiles?

I've had this weird idea in my head lately about making a fighting game that consisted entirely of spaming projectiles...with a twist. I've been thinking of a system where the player is able to "ride" their projectile as if it were a triggerable special move. It's rather hard to explain, but the best I could say about the dynamic is that it's a mix of Twinkle Star Sprites and...come to think of it, the TSS example is the closest I could probably get, because one of the big principles I've thought that should be in the game is that the players have no direct attacks with each other (in other words, no normals). Instead, they rely on "drawing"/"sketching" their maneuver with a special move, thus spawning it like a regular projectile. The gist is some of these projectiles would mimic basic fighting game special moves once "ridden" upon (done by simply approaching your spawned projectile), so for example, some Leonardo Da Vinci like descendant character can spam some Sistine Chapel Godfinger all-day long but keep missing or draw one of those flying contraption thingies and then ride them if it were a charge attack or dragon punch maneuver.

I've only conceived two characters for it so far (the Leonardo dude and a painter girl), but was able to sketch only the later. Here's some crazy doodling I made about the concept.

Forgive the crappiness.

[this message was edited by sfried on Fri 12 Feb 15:51]

Replies:

Loona
295th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Some ideas for a game: Sketcher Fighter" , posted Fri 12 Feb 19:47post reply

quote:

I've had this weird idea in my head lately about making a fighting game that consisted entirely of spaming projectiles...with a twist. I've been thinking of a system where the player is able to "ride" their projectile as if it were a triggerable special move. It's rather hard to explain, but the best I could say about the dynamic is that it's a mix of Twinkle Star Sprites and...come to think of it, the TSS example is the closest I could probably get, because one of the big principles I've thought that should be in the game is that the players have no direct attacks with each other (in other words, no normals). Instead, they rely on "drawing"/"sketching" their maneuver with a special move, thus spawning it like a regular projectile. The gist is some of these projectiles would mimic basic fighting game special moves once "ridden" upon (done by simply approaching your spawned projectile), so for example, some Leonardo Da Vinci like descendant character can spam some Sistine Chapel Godfinger all-day long but keep missing or draw one of those flying contraption thingies and then ride them if it were a charge attack or dragon punch maneuver.

I've only conceived two characters for it so far (the Leonardo dude and a painter girl), but was able to sketch only the later. Here's some crazy doodling I made about the concept.

Forgive the crappiness.

I'm not too familiar with the Touho(sp?) series, but aren't those shoot-em-ups that also have a projectile-based fightin game or two as part of their in-game universe?...

The riding thing could give this a twist, I guess... I take it those projectiles would have different movement patterns when launched and when ridden? I guess the default behaviour for some nonridden would be to stay still or at least move very very slow so that character could catch up...

For some reason I'm not reminded of those stars Kirby uses to travel between stages - moves and floats a bit slowly, then speeds like hell when riding the things.

The concept now reminds me a lot of the Emperor in Dissidia as well, with all the projectile-based trap-making.

I have to admit than when I read the topic title I was thinking of something like this:

http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=106823.0

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Pollyanna
2851th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Some ideas for a game: Sketcher Fighter" , posted Fri 12 Feb 20:32post reply

quote:

I'm not too familiar with the Touho(sp?) series, but aren't those shoot-em-ups that also have a projectile-based fightin game or two as part of their in-game universe?...

I've been on a crazy Touhou kick lately! Glad it came up!

Yeah, the Touhou fighters have two projectile buttons and one attack button. You can nullify the projectiles with other projectiles or dash through them. You have a constantly refilling "endurance gauge" that goes down when you dash, block a projectile or shoot a projectile.

That's a pretty quick and dirty explanation, but I hope it sort of gets the point across. The games take a bit of getting used to, but they're quite clever, decidedly unique and give a good idea of what a more "projectile based" fighter might be like.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
477th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Some ideas for a game: Sketcher Fighter" , posted Sat 13 Feb 11:03post reply

quote:

I've been on a crazy Touhou kick lately! Glad it came up!

Yeah, the Touhou fighters have two projectile buttons and one attack button. You can nullify the projectiles with other projectiles or dash through them. You have a constantly refilling "endurance gauge" that goes down when you dash, block a projectile or shoot a projectile.

That's a pretty quick and dirty explanation, but I hope it sort of gets the point across. The games take a bit of getting used to, but they're quite clever, decidedly unique and give a good idea of what a more "projectile based" fighter might be like.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of the presence of this mechanic in the touhou fighters. It's funny that one of the ideas I had was a gauge that showed the level of "ink" (or pallet) your character had that would constantly refill.

Basically, I was thinking that there are three primary colour buttons. Let's say they are & . To draw you would hold a button down and "draw" with the joystick (like Okami, except the game doesn't pause). You can make basic strokes geometry that act as "projectile normal attacks", and the size of the shape/stroke determines damage. Each colour has a the gauge/ink level that could probably only let you draw one huge circle, leaving you with a 2 sec cooldown period before even refilling. I've been contemplating on whether or not different characters should have all equally different level of primaries or some would have more of a certain kind of colour (so some characters would have to use up all three colors for them to even draw a huge shape).

Next are the predetermined sketches that act as the specials. The thing is most of the input command should be familiar, except instead of the usual , it would now be while then release. Certain kinds of sketches are ridable, like , and , and the effects correspond to their usual fighting game counterparts (anti-air, charge attack, etc.). Some sketches do not move or float, such as the painter girl's carousel drawing () which acts a command grab. I'm wondering if this sytem makes it nice for setups.

The neat thing about this is that you can see the special being "completed" step-by-step as you do it. So for example, if the player is making the Da Vinci dude spawn one of those flying contraptions, you would see the that certain motions would cause the previous "stroke" to turn into the piece of the special, hence it would be easy for the player to asses where s/he messed up if the painting does not "connect".

As far as characters, I've come up with a few more.
- A French black guy named Gaston (the Dudley)
- an Italian/Sicilian sculpter (the Dan)
- A street grafitti artist
- Jackson Pollock-like American artist
- A Japanese caligraphy artists with her shamisen-playing brother (like Adel & Rose only reversed)
- A classy lady who smokes from a pipe cigarette and draws... (the "Anne Rice")

quote:
The riding thing could give this a twist, I guess... I take it those projectiles would have different movement patterns when launched and when ridden? I guess the default behaviour for some nonridden would be to stay still or at least move very very slow so that character could catch up...

For some reason I'm not reminded of those stars Kirby uses to travel between stages - moves and floats a bit slowly, then speeds like hell when riding the things.

The concept now reminds me a lot of the Emperor in Dissidia as well, with all the projectile-based trap-making.

I have to admit than when I read the topic title I was thinking of something like this:

http://mugenguild.com/forumx/index.php?topic=106823.0

I've been contemplating about various projectile speeds, so I'd say some move quicker than others such as the non-ridables while of them don't even move from their spot (such as said painter girl's command grab). The usual ridable ones move pretty much the speed of a slow hadouken, and characters movement is relatively quick enough to be able to touch the projectile and activate/"ride" it. Characters can also dash by double tapping in the desired direction or pressing <desired direction> (still contemplating for the need of a super jump as I'm thinking of minimizing too much input complexity).

If anybody has any more ideas, feel free to add. I'd like to hear some input.

Maese
560th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Some ideas for a game: Sketcher Fighter" , posted Sat 13 Feb 22:06post reply

quote:
some Leonardo Da Vinci like descendant character can spam some Sistine Chapel Godfinger all-day long

Pssst... Don't mean to rain on your parade, but... Leonardo had nothing to do with the Sistine Chapel. That was another ninja turtle, you now: Michelangelo.

sfried
478th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Some ideas for a game: Sketcher Fighter" , posted Sun 14 Feb 02:41post reply

quote:
Pssst... Don't mean to rain on your parade, but... Leonardo had nothing to do with the Sistine Chapel. That was another ninja turtle, you now: Michelangelo.

Ouch. Where has my brain been lately?

ZamIAm
1770th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Some ideas for a game: Sketcher Fighter" , posted Thu 25 Feb 08:44post reply

quote:
Forgive the crappiness

I hearby request permission to nerdrage whenever I see people with better art skills than my own complain about their art skills.

Maou
1926th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Some ideas for a game: Sketcher Fighter" , posted Thu 25 Feb 12:05post reply

quote:
Forgive the crappiness

I hearby request permission to nerdrage whenever I see people with better art skills than my own complain about their art skills.

I too meant to comment that Sig has the best "crappy" art I've ever seen. Jealousy/admiration abounds.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

sfried
486th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Some ideas for a game: Sketcher Fighter" , posted Fri 26 Feb 13:41:post reply

quote:
Forgive the crappiness

I too meant to comment that Sig has the best "crappy" art I've ever seen. Jealousy/admiration abounds.

I wouldn't quite put it that way. I've seen better talent on the internet (like that Chad guy who won the Final Fight art contest), not to mention their work is consistently good.

To show you just how much of a talentless hack I am, here's another sprite I created for the project that looks like a combination of Mary Ryan/Angel/Whip from KoF and Doronjo's bastard child. Heck, even the sprite model feels inconsistent with some of the sketches I made, and pretty much her entire concept feels unoriginal.

I mean after all, the shoes look funky.

(Update on the painter girl colour scheme. Dunno if she looks better with the cardigan or with a vest. Any good ideas for colour combinations?)

[this message was edited by sfried on Fri 26 Feb 13:46]

a Beholder
35th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Some ideas for a game: Sketcher Fighter" , posted Fri 26 Feb 18:29post reply

quote:

hmmm... sorta

Bastard!! on the SNES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YWZbiXTaIY&feature=PlayList&p=C32E01F3995ED520&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=52

full of mode 7 goodness

sfried
506th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Need help to identify some music..." , posted Fri 26 Mar 11:57post reply

...or at least know if it sounds familiar in case I might be subconciously plagarising from a game or some other source I have yet to recall. I made this all in pxTone collage using some materials from here, but for the rest, I just simply recreated what was on my mind. It took several weeks to get it to sound as it is, and I'm still fine tuning it...but I'm scared over the fact that the tune was something already made and I somehow ended up making it. Kinda like how the rolling instruments in the begining originally sounded like the first level of Gradius, so I had to change some notes.

So, here it is...

The Droogo
311th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Some ideas for a game: Sketcher Fighter" , posted Fri 26 Mar 16:05post reply

quote:

Forgive the crappiness.

Well, I'd like to share some ideas from my mind.
There could be a character that could use the influence of Absinth before start a fight. He may look like some kind of weird count. Just how look Trent Reznor in the the "the perfect drug" video. Powers may look like Vincent van Gogh drawings
Another character could be doctor/shaman who uses LSD/peyote, the drawing reason for both stereotypes is that the doctor "draws medical recommendation" and the shaman draws pictures of "wisdom" hehehe.
And the last one that appears in my reasoning is "robot portrait police"(the ones who draws the face of a possible suspect in based of the witness testimony , I dont know really who are they call that people) His o her look I dont really care cause I just dont like police, but it fits perfectly in the search of characters that may draw something to cast special powers.

Bonus character: A evil pencil[AA][/AA]javascript:void(0)

O ra o ra!
H.Y.A.L.M.A.R.I.

sfried
508th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Need help to identify some music..." , posted Fri 26 Mar 16:46:post reply

quote:
There could be a character that could use the influence of Absinth before start a fight. He may look like some kind of weird count. Just how look Trent Reznor in the the "the perfect drug" video. Powers may look like Vincent van Gogh drawings
Another character could be doctor/shaman who uses LSD/peyote, the drawing reason for both stereotypes is that the doctor "draws medical recommendation" and the shaman draws pictures of "wisdom" hehehe.
And the last one that appears in my reasoning is "robot portrait police"(the ones who draws the face of a possible suspect in based of the witness testimony , I dont know really who are they call that people) His o her look I dont really care cause I just dont like police, but it fits perfectly in the search of characters that may draw something to cast special powers.

Those are great ideas. I like the idea of a witness portrait sketcher. Perhaps it could be a good character that "summons" stand-ins/dopplegangers with pre-choreographed attacks.

Another idea I had was a naval engineer and his son, where the guy draws boats/map charts and his son acts as an assist (who can also erase all drawings with a special). I'm still trying to decide on an appropriate outfits.

[this message was edited by sfried on Fri 26 Mar 16:59]

THE DROOGO
312th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Need help to identify some music..." , posted Fri 26 Mar 18:14post reply

quote:

Those are great ideas. I like the idea of a witness portrait sketcher. Perhaps it could be a good character that "summons" stand-ins/dopplegangers with pre-choreographed attacks.

Another idea I had was a naval engineer and his son, where the guy draws boats/map charts and his son acts as an assist (who can also erase all drawings with a special). I'm still trying to decide on an appropriate outfits.

are u making a game?

O ra o ra!
H.Y.A.L.M.A.R.I.

sfried
508th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Need help to identify some music..." , posted Fri 26 Mar 18:19post reply

quote:
are u making a game?

If by "making", you mean concept phase/asset creation, then perhaps.

The Droogo
313th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Need help to identify some music..." , posted Sat 27 Mar 01:02post reply

quote:
are u making a game?
If by "making", you mean concept phase/asset creation, then perhaps.

Nice. I listened the music for the game and it sounds really proper.
I would like to collaborate with you if you permit me. One of this days I'll go and record some stuff I've made with the Korg ds-10. I hope my friend knows how to record it
I'd like your opinion about the mp3s I'm about to send you.
I would be honored if you use any of those in one of your games!!! ^_^

O ra o ra!
H.Y.A.L.M.A.R.I.

sfried
514th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):PXTone Collage" , posted Wed 7 Apr 14:31post reply

Kind of an odd question, but does anybody know where I could find some .wav files (or any files to use as instruments for PXTone Collage such as .ptvoice) that sort of mimic most popular synthesizers or instruments in 80's like music?

Toxico
4933th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(7):PXTone Collage" , posted Wed 7 Apr 15:46post reply

quote:
Kind of an odd question, but does anybody know where I could find some .wav files (or any files to use as instruments for PXTone Collage such as .ptvoice) that sort of mimic most popular synthesizers or instruments in 80's like music?

..... This isn't what you want, right? .... I composing music isn't really on my field of expertise (aka evil doings).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 21 as of 29/01/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 15 as of 21/01/10

sfried
515th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):PXTone Collage" , posted Wed 7 Apr 23:28post reply

quote:
..... This isn't what you want, right? .... I composing music isn't really on my field of expertise (aka evil doings).

Yeah, sort of. I have a tracker already (said PXTone Collage), it's just that I need instrument samples played in the form of a .wav file, preferably in the A note (C will also do). I'm not really looking for 8-bit sounds...more like 16-bit era stuff.