Click this webpage

also chek out http://myspace.com/atomiswave2

Replies:

Grave
1283th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Sun 24 Jan 11:57post reply

I know very well that the first MS isn't the best but it's still my favorite. Ah, memories~

karasu99
276th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Sun 24 Jan 13:00post reply

quote:
I know very well that the first MS isn't the best but it's still my favorite. Ah, memories~

I enjoy the whole series, really, even the crappier ones. Let's face it-- few games have such gorgeous pixel art. I very nearly voted for X, but I chose 3. Really, I wish they would produce a new one just as cool as 3.

Iron D
3363th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Sun 24 Jan 17:52post reply

quote:

I enjoy the whole series, really, even the crappier ones. Let's face it-- few games have such gorgeous pixel art. I very nearly voted for X, but I chose 3. Really, I wish they would produce a new one just as cool as 3.

2. Such fond memories I have of that game, and it had just AWESOME music and the best last battle of the series (of the ones I've seen anyway).

What the hell is Metal Slug XX?

Er.....

Badoor
103th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Sun 24 Jan 19:11post reply

Even though 3 was the more impressive game I chose x because of nostalgia value when I played it in the arcade.
6 is the worst in the series and it's effect is so strong to me that I've been wondering whether 7 was actually good or that at the time I had my expectations really low due to how bad 6 was. Hopefully Metal Slug XX would answer that dilemma.

Metal Slug Advance was really good too but it's been awhile since I've played it to compare with the others.

Pollyanna
2834th Post

"Re(5):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Sun 24 Jan 19:24post reply

I'm very bad at Metal Slug. Very very bad. I almost enjoy watching the games more than playing them.

Still, my vote goes to MS3, which just has so much...stuff. Also, after that, the series started feeling a little stale.

Loved the soundtrack in 5, though!

quote:

6 is the worst in the series and it's effect is so strong to me that I've been wondering whether 7 was actually good or that at the time I had my expectations really low due to how bad 6 was. Hopefully Metal Slug XX would answer that dilemma.

I haven't played 7, but NO KIDDING about 6. I don't think it's as bad as the 3D one, but not from lack of trying! It was just so...empty.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Gojira
2571th Post

"Re(6):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Mon 25 Jan 00:22post reply

No NGPC versions? Metal Slug: 2nd Mission is my personal favorite. I never could finish it because of the limited continues though.

shipoopi

Spoon
1882th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(7):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Mon 25 Jan 03:47post reply

It'll always be between X and 3 for me.

3 had phenomenal levels and art, but what will always hold it back from being wholly better than X are some of the boss battles, especially the final one (3 did have plenty of awesome bosses, though). I'm not sure what it's going to take for SNKP to top the final boss of X in WOW factor. 3 couldn't do it, and 5 sequels out from X, 3 was the best.

Ishmael
3667th Post

"Re(8):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Mon 25 Jan 05:55post reply

While I'm not a big MS fan I will say that the feeling I had when playing its forebearer Gunforce will never leave me. Not only was my character decked out in silly looking and useless armor but he shuffled around like an old man with a bad hip. Watching that poor guy try to limp ever so slowly for cover until he finally let out a bellowing death scream when an enemy bullet caught him in the toe is one of those gameplay experiences that was more memorable than it probably should have been.

Loona
291th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Mon 25 Jan 22:07post reply

I have to admit I haven't seen or played all MSs to the end yet (even though I have Anthology, which I need to pick up again one of these days), but the final level in 3 one of the most awesome thing I remember i any video game, with your former enemies, Allen O'Neil included, storming the place to assist you. Felt truly epic IMO.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Amakusa
834th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Tue 26 Jan 12:02post reply

As much as I'd like to say 3, I have to give it to X. X was the version I played the most and subsequently ate a lot of my quarters.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Toxico
4848th Post

"Re(2):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Thu 28 Jan 02:18post reply

Between 1, X and 3; it's really hard to choose for me.

For the record if the the inclusion of Leona , nor the existence of the official english release did nothing for me, I do realize that there is little to do with the series to keep it interesting.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Translation txt currently off line.

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 15 as of 21/01/10

Sensenic
1691th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Thu 28 Jan 20:53:post reply

quote:

That.
And the (1p) ending.
It completely shocked me back at the time. For a such a comedic, Gung-ho, More Dakka-ish game, such a touching sequence...

"Objectively", it is 3.
But in my heart, 1 it will always be.

貧乳神・・・

"Don't give me that crap about real life. There ain't no such animal."
-Felix Leiter-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Thu 28 Jan 20:55]

nobinobita
678th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Thu 28 Jan 22:14post reply

quote:

That.
And the (1p) ending.
It completely shocked me back at the time. For a such a comedic, Gung-ho, More Dakka-ish game, such a touching sequence...

"Objectively", it is 3.
But in my heart, 1 it will always be.

Man thanks for posting that! I'd just about forgotten how great that ending was. I've always found Metal Slug to be more emotionally engaging than most other games. Something about the simultaneously ridiculous yet grim atmosphere of it. The first time I played it, I was really struck by how well it conveyed the concept of war (as it's presented in movies, documentaries and history books).

There are so many great touches in Metal Slug. I'll never forget blowing up a helicopter and seeing a little love letter float out of it (which I then collected for points!). I always felt guilty for mowing down all those rebel army guys.

"Dakka" is a great description of the series hehe.

karasu99
280th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Fri 29 Jan 14:01post reply

quote:

There are so many great touches in Metal Slug. I'll never forget blowing up a helicopter and seeing a little love letter float out of it (which I then collected for points!). I always felt guilty for mowing down all those rebel army guys.

I always loved firing straight up at the beginning of the very first game to get an item to fall. So now in every new game I always fire straight up to see what I get!

I'll buy XX-- I know, the series isn't what it once was, but hey, it still looks so PRETTY.

Sensenic
1691th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Fri 29 Jan 19:16post reply

quote:
Man thanks for posting that! I'd just about forgotten how great that ending was. I've always found Metal Slug to be more emotionally engaging than most other games. Something about the simultaneously ridiculous yet grim atmosphere of it. The first time I played it, I was really struck by how well it conveyed the concept of war (as it's presented in movies, documentaries and history books).

You're welcome :)

Gotta love all the effort that went into humanizing all the characters, while keeping it hilarious at the same time.

quote:

"Dakka" is a great description of the series hehe.

It is ruining my life

貧乳神・・・

"Don't give me that crap about real life. There ain't no such animal."
-Felix Leiter-

HAYATO
957th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Sat 30 Jan 08:42post reply

MS is one of my all time favourite sagas, and I have countless, fond memories of almost every game in the series. But, if I had to choose one above all of them, I'd bet for MS-X (a great revision of one of the best videogame sequels ever), closely followed by MS-3, whose epic action sequences and gameplay innovations blew my mind at the time and still amaze me to this day...

Those two games are the pinnacle of the saga, and this shows : since SNK's demise, the series has never managed to find the way back to its roots. IMHO, the only post-SNK game deserving of a little love is MS-6, which tried to innovate once more adding a wide, new arrange of enemies and some noteworthy visual effects (zooms, shadings, transparencies)...

To those who don't agree with the previous statement, I'd suggest they try MS-XX, just to see how frustrating and far from the series' original feeling a game can be. Not as bad as MS-4 or MS-5 but pretty, pretty close...

Spoon
1891th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Poll, Favorite Metal Slug?" , posted Sat 30 Jan 10:35post reply

quote:

That.
And the (1p) ending.

Wow, the MS1 ending completely slipped my mind. MS1 definitely had the best ending sequence with the paper airplane.

What's shocking to me is that the 2P ending is different! This entire time, I thought the game had only one ending, the 1P one!

I always felt bad when I was killing the guys while they were having a good time (like cooking food, or chilling on the boat, etc.) Of course, I never felt bad for killing those bastards with the knives. Damn them.