So what can I expect with "3D" gaming? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1864 Views )

GekigangerV
1635th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"So what can I expect with "3D" gaming?" , posted Tue 19 Jan 00:59post reply

It appears with the success of "Avatar" that 3D TV's and movies are going to become the trend in the next few years and I only really got into HD when MGS4 came out.

I can see the novelty in it, but are there any instances where it will effect gameplay? I am having a hard time of thinking of any off the top of my head

Replies:

nobinobita
675th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):So what can I expect with" , posted Tue 19 Jan 04:16post reply

quote:
It appears with the success of "Avatar" that 3D TV's and movies are going to become the trend in the next few years and I only really got into HD when MGS4 came out.

I can see the novelty in it, but are there any instances where it will effect gameplay? I am having a hard time of thinking of any off the top of my head

The future of three dee gaming.

Maou
1891th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):So what can I expect with" , posted Tue 19 Jan 05:04post reply

quote:
I can see the novelty in it, but are there any instances where it will effect gameplay?

3D gaming? THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Tai-Pan
413th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):So what can I expect with" , posted Tue 19 Jan 07:50post reply

quote:

No

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Mokona
479th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):So what can I expect with" , posted Tue 19 Jan 08:10:post reply

The main problem I have with this trend is eye fatigue.
Games are hard on the eyes as it is, imagine gaming in 3D for a marathon session... Ophtalmologists must be getting ready for some extra work (and cash...)

Also, when you'll finally be able to afford a 3D TV, they'll already be talking about the next thing (holographic?)

Blah!

[this message was edited by Mokona on Tue 19 Jan 08:11]

Toxico
4844th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):So what can I expect with" , posted Tue 19 Jan 09:35post reply

quote:
THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS

I must utterly curse you for reminding me of certain afternoons with a virtual boy tied up to my head.

In different news, HEIHACHI MISHIMA IS DEAD 'Ashura Buster' will never have the same ring in my head .......

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Translation txt currently off line.

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 14 as of 11/12/09

Maou
1893th Post

"warriors' lament" , posted Tue 19 Jan 13:24:post reply

quote:
In different news, HEIHACHI MISHIMA IS DEAD
ARGH! I declare this 戦士たちの哀悼 hereforth. I bet Namco feels stupid for telling us Heihachi died for the 1535th time now that he's gone...I thought it was another Tekken promotion you were linking to, at first. A shame. Though Edge Master might have been his crowning achievement.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 19 Jan 14:21]

karasu99
272th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):warriors' lament" , posted Wed 20 Jan 00:26post reply

quote:
In different news, HEIHACHI MISHIMA IS DEAD ARGH! I declare this 戦士たちの哀悼 hereforth. I bet Namco feels stupid for telling us Heihachi died for the 1535th time now that he's gone...I thought it was another Tekken promotion you were linking to, at first. A shame. Though Edge Master might have been his crowning achievement.

I was genuinely shocked to see this news, all joking aside. He had a remarkable breadth of roles, many of which I was very familiar with and fond of. It makes me regret knowing so little about seiyū in general, given how much I follow generally about Japanese popular culture.

Ishmael
3661th Post

"Re(2):So what can I expect with" , posted Wed 20 Jan 04:51post reply

quote:
The main problem I have with this trend is eye fatigue.
Games are hard on the eyes as it is, imagine gaming in 3D for a marathon session... Ophtalmologists must be getting ready for some extra work (and cash...)

Also, when you'll finally be able to afford a 3D TV, they'll already be talking about the next thing (holographic?)

When holographic games come back does that mean we will finally get a sequel to Time Traveler?

But as for the original question, I imagine most early 3D games will be terrible. They will probably be as clunky and uncertain of how to proceed as games were when they moved from 2D sprites to 3D, z-axis polygons. I also wonder how much a 3D game set-up would cost. Someone who is more knowledgeable about the business end of electronics would know better than I, but I doubt the technology that could produce a 3D game like Avatar will be affordable for a home system for at least another 10-20 years.

The problem of eye-strain is another concern. Trying to keep track of everything in a game is hard enough, but tossing a pseudo sense of depth on top of that is going to make for a stressful bit of entertainment. It could be fun in short burts but anything where you have to be actively involved will get old fast.

So the two big problems with 3D games are the limits brought on by technological costs and the design concerns that games be short enough to keep players engaged without making their eyes bleed. The obvious solution is that 3D games will be arcade exclusive titles. One of the things that have hurt arcades is the trouble of finding games that could not be played at home. This probably isn't the solution but it is a possibility.

GekigangerV
1637th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):So what can I expect with" , posted Thu 21 Jan 06:07post reply

Yeah, I remember getting a really bad headache from a Virtual Boy kiosk in Toys R’ Us years ago. That was one of the reasons I never bugged my parents to buy me one back in the day. Maybe we can finally see some Wii shop Virtual Boy games if Nintendo (re)joins the 3D wave.

After thinking about it, I still can’t come up with one way that 3D can affect gameplay, however, I think if developers are smart they can help push “immersion” as the next big thing in games. With the Wii, Natal and whatever the fuck Sony is doing we are going into the direction where actions in real life are attempted to be mirrored by our games. After mulling over it for a few minutes, I think that first person perspective games can see some benefit from 3D.

Take Fight Night for example, they have a first person mode where punches would blur the screen to reflect damage done to your boxer. Maybe with 3D and something like the Natal the end effect could be a more engrossing experience where the blurring isn’t perceived as just an effect on the screen but a blurring to the players own visual field, something akin to some old Sci-Fi virtual reality experience.

Now the idea about Holograms sounds nice and would be really interesting. I would rather jump straight into that.

Sucks about Daisuke Gori. I knew him mostly as the voice of Mr. Satan and the sea turtle of Dragon Ball. I wonder if they will recast him for Kai or simply rip the recordings he did for the original series and games.

bootation
583th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):So what can I expect with" , posted Thu 21 Jan 13:38post reply

quote:
Yeah, I remember getting a really bad headache from a Virtual Boy kiosk in Toys R’ Us years ago. That was one of the reasons I never bugged my parents to buy me one back in the day. Maybe we can finally see some Wii shop Virtual Boy games if Nintendo (re)joins the 3D wave.

After thinking about it, I still can’t come up with one way that 3D can affect gameplay, however, I think if developers are smart they can help push “immersion” as the next big thing in games. With the Wii, Natal and whatever the fuck Sony is doing we are going into the direction where actions in real life are attempted to be mirrored by our games. After mulling over it for a few minutes, I think that first person perspective games can see some benefit from 3D.

Take Fight Night for example, they have a first person mode where punches would blur the screen to reflect damage done to your boxer. Maybe with 3D and something like the Natal the end effect could be a more engrossing experience where the blurring isn’t perceived as just an effect on the screen but a blurring to the players own visual field, something akin to some old Sci-Fi virtual reality experience.

Now the idea about Holograms sounds nice and would be really interesting. I would rather jump straight into that.

Sucks about Daisuke Gori. I knew him mostly as the voice of Mr. Satan and the sea turtle of Dragon Ball. I wonder if they will recast him for Kai or simply rip the recordings he did for the original series and games.

That guy was an awesome actor. his booming voice was the ultimate sound of badass like for mr satan and king cold.

Click this webpage

also chek out http://myspace.com/atomiswave2

nobinobita
676th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):So what can I expect with" , posted Fri 22 Jan 23:30post reply

quote:

In all seriousness, I just got a polarized 3d enabled laptop. It was only $30 more for the upgrade for the special screen so I thought "what the heck?"

It does have alot of novelty and it's kind of neat to play games in 3d, but really, they're just the same games with depth of field. It's like the difference between watching a cg film in 3d or 2d. Your mileage will vary. Some people like the novelty, others think it's distracting and either way it can't fix a broken production. The 3d really doesn't effect gameplay. It can occasionally make it harder to aim at things if you aren't sitting in the exact right cone of vision and it can make things feel more immersive at times, but I think it's more of a change than an improvement. I doubt 3d will really catch on.

The polarized 3d isn't so vomit inducing though. It's fairly easy on the eyes. Maybe if I had a more powerful computer and the 3d was running at a blazing frame rate, i'd be more enthusiastic about it. According to James Cameron, that will be the next real step in cinema (3d plus higher frame rate for film). Apparently he's not going to do Battle Angel until theaters are equipped for higher frame rates.

Also that's very sad news about Gori Daisuke. I'm sad to hear that's how Mr Satan/King Cold/etc met his end.

Spoon
1881th Post

"Re(2):So what can I expect with" , posted Sat 23 Jan 07:37post reply

quote:

In all seriousness, I just got a polarized 3d enabled laptop. It was only $30 more for the upgrade for the special screen so I thought "what the heck?"

It does have alot of novelty and it's kind of neat to play games in 3d, but really, they're just the same games with depth of field. It's like the difference between watching a cg film in 3d or 2d. Your mileage will vary. Some people like the novelty, others think it's distracting and either way it can't fix a broken production. The 3d really doesn't effect gameplay. It can occasionally make it harder to aim at things if you aren't sitting in the exact right cone of vision and it can make things feel more immersive at times, but I think it's more of a change than an improvement. I doubt 3d will really catch on.

The polarized 3d isn't so vomit inducing though. It's fairly easy on the eyes. Maybe if I had a more powerful computer and the 3d was running at a blazing frame rate, i'd be more enthusiastic about it. According to James Cameron, that will be the next real step in cinema (3d plus higher frame rate for film). Apparently he's not going to do Battle Angel until theaters are equipped for higher frame rates.

I can imagine it being fun, and I think it would actually help 3D games where judging distance is actually important, like platforming games where the platforming isn't excessively generous/automatic.

I really don't think I would mind good 3D on sports broadcasts, and having lots of 3D capture for 3D play analysis would be extremely entertaining, I think. However, I think it'd be incomplete if it were only 3D from one perspective; effective reconstruction of player/ball/whatever else from capture so that navigatable 3D recreations could be used for analysis would be awesome.

Ishmael
3666th Post

"Re(3):So what can I expect with" , posted Mon 25 Jan 05:35post reply

quote:
I can imagine it being fun, and I think it would actually help 3D games where judging distance is actually important, like platforming games where the platforming isn't excessively generous/automatic.

True, the idea of 3D platforming could be pretty insane. Now I want to see a 3D sequel to Mirror's Edge. If first person parkour was making people queasy before, imagine what adding fake depth will do to the experience.

Maou
1896th Post

"Re(4):So what can I expect with" , posted Mon 25 Jan 05:41post reply

quote:
True, the idea of 3D platforming could be pretty insane. Now I want to see a 3D sequel to Mirror's Edge. If first person parkour was making people queasy before, imagine what adding fake depth will do to the experience.

Interesting! It can't be a coincidence that the two sweetest 3D games I played, Mario Galaxy and Mirror's Edge, also made me almost throw up! Imagine if they were 3D 3D... It will get to the point where doing actual parkour will be less hazardous to my health than virtual parkour.