Latest random thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (11783 Views )

Ishmael
3645th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Latest random thread" , posted Wed 30 Dec 04:35post reply

NGBC comes to XBLA with... different graphics.

Replies:

Iggy
9032th Post

"Re(1):Latest random thread" , posted Wed 30 Dec 04:56post reply

quote:

Is it so hard to understand what "lively backgrounds" mean?

I suppose that mean SNKP are going further in their focusing on the rest of Asia. I wonder how many Japanese people work on this...

Freeter
4493th Post

"Re(1):Latest random thread" , posted Wed 30 Dec 05:07post reply

I just died a little inside.

Did they really have to mess with the portraits too? Come on SNKP, you already murdered KOF with those abominations called XII and Sky Stage, leave NGBC alone.

kofoguz
803th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Latest random thread" , posted Wed 30 Dec 06:17post reply

quote:

Is it so hard to understand what "lively backgrounds" mean?

I suppose that mean SNKP are going further in their focusing on the rest of Asia. I wonder how many Japanese people work on this...

I just wanna punch the guy in the face who thinks these isolated backgrounds are cool. Unfortunately and apparently he has the power to put them. It was much much horrible in the SVC except the ones for hidden bosses.

Grave
1262th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Latest random thread" , posted Wed 30 Dec 07:14post reply

quote:

ah yes I look forward to more fun times with SNK's stellar XBLA netcode

Toxico
4824th Post

"........." , posted Wed 30 Dec 17:23post reply

I couldn't care less, even if I strongly make the attempt of not to care. Also, if you read it more carefully you realize that this article pretty much list what Sol wants to do, and doesn't hint anything of being under the works.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Translation txt currently off line.

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 14 as of 11/12/09

Nekros
208th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):........." , posted Wed 30 Dec 22:40post reply

And probably will result in a sequel to Overture.

Very bad Sol, very bad.

Gojira
2566th Post

"Re(3):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 31 Dec 02:37post reply

quote:
I just wanna punch the guy in the face who thinks these isolated backgrounds are cool. Unfortunately and apparently he has the power to put them. It was much much horrible in the SVC except the ones for hidden bosses.

One is a vast plane of nothing with alienated fans cheering far, far away in the background, and the other is a completely ruined stage with a sign indicating Neo Geo was once there and once sexy.

Yeah, I think these stages are a perfect metaphor for the current state of SNKP

shipoopi

Grave
1263th Post

"Re(2):........." , posted Thu 31 Dec 05:04post reply

quote:
And probably will result in a sequel to Overture.

Very bad Sol, very bad.

Overture is kind of fun! However, there's way too much wrong with it to recommend it to normals. GG fans only!

There's also the slight little nagging problem that the gameplay DOESN'T MAKE A LICK OF GODDAMN SENSE AND IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY EFFECTIVELY UNTIL SOMEONE ELSE ONLINE SPELLS IT OUT FOR YOU. The tutorials ingame are not very helpful, the plot is an absolute joke, and the map layouts and stupid drifting system rub me the wrong way.

Still... it can be lots of fun! Really, it can!

Spoon
1867th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):........." , posted Thu 31 Dec 05:12post reply

quote:
I couldn't care less, even if I strongly make the attempt of not to care. Also, if you read it more carefully you realize that this article pretty much list what Sol wants to do, and doesn't hint anything of being under the works.

Alternatively, you could see that the image they are using for the article is from Isuka, and that that is in fact his true intention for the series.

4 fully animated HD sprites on the screen at once!
Now is time to the Xenon heart on fire!!!!!!

Toxico
4825th Post

"Re(2):........." , posted Thu 31 Dec 05:23post reply

quote:

Alternatively, you could see that the image they are using for the article is from Isuka, and that that is in fact his true intention for the series.

The pic could perfectly be a choice of the news sites, since the comment was more or less a sassy under the table remark, it's not like he started a display of pictures or something. Also, wasn't there a weird problem with GG rights due to the SxS merge?? har har.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Ishmael
3648th Post

"Re(1):........." , posted Thu 31 Dec 06:32post reply

quote:

Ah, good, it's been awhile since a creator started discussing doubtful projects. Now we just need Itagaki to resurface and start doing his thing and we'll be set.

Spoon
1869th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):........." , posted Thu 31 Dec 09:46post reply

quote:

The pic could perfectly be a choice of the news sites, since the comment was more or less a sassy under the table remark, it's not like he started a display of pictures or something. Also, wasn't there a weird problem with GG rights due to the SxS merge?? har har.

I'm quite certain that the image used is just any old Guilty Gear image they happened to dredge from the internet.

I've heard that there were indeed some weird rights issues when it comes to GG, but I've heard mixed things about whether it has to do with the GGXX game itself or with the IP. But most of it is internet hearsay, which is worth about as much as you'd think.

Remember long long ago when there were rumors about Arc vs. Capcom or GG vs. Darkstalkers?

Pollyanna
2817th Post

"Re(3):........." , posted Thu 31 Dec 10:39post reply

quote:

Overture is kind of fun! However, there's way too much wrong with it to recommend it to normals. GG fans only!

There's also the slight little nagging problem that the gameplay DOESN'T MAKE A LICK OF GODDAMN SENSE AND IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLAY EFFECTIVELY UNTIL SOMEONE ELSE ONLINE SPELLS IT OUT FOR YOU. The tutorials ingame are not very helpful, the plot is an absolute joke, and the map layouts and stupid drifting system rub me the wrong way.

I love when I try to get friends into games like this. "No, no...it's good! You just have to spend 5-10 hours with it."

Of course, most of my friends are really sore losers and most games I introduce them to end in one of two ways:

1) If they lose: they talk about how bad they suck (even though they've never played the game before) and how they "don't deserve to play". Needless to say, they quit.

2) If they win: They talk about how stupid the game is, how they don't even know what they're doing and how they robbed someone else of the victory.

Maybe I need some friends with less...issues.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1265th Post

"Re(2):........." , posted Thu 31 Dec 10:58:post reply

quote:
Now we just need Itagaki to resurface and start doing his thing and we'll be set.

He better do something exciting! I still love that man, even if Ninja Gaiden 2 is not that good!
quote:
I love when I try to get friends into games like this. "No, no...it's good! You just have to spend 5-10 hours with it."

It's good to have at least one from who gets that kind of thing! I once gave my best friend a copy of DQ7 and he loved it just as much as I did. That's when you know you have a true friend.

A lot of my former roommates will not listen to my game recommendations because they saw what I did to myself through the duration of Odin Sphere and countless other masochistic experiences. Other people, they bought Crimson Tears because of me and got really mad. However I made at least five other people fall in love with God Hand, I like to think that counteracts some of the more painful recommendations I've made!
quote:
Of course, most of my friends are really sore losers and most games I introduce them to end in one of two ways:

One of said roommates would always play a fighting game with me when I got it (or decided to introduce him to it) and the after losing to me a bunch of times cold, he'd always practice a ton on his own, learn the systems, we'd watch combo videos together... I've been playing 3S casually on and off for years and he got reasonably close to my level in very little time! It was the most fun ever!

Needless to say I have not had any roommates like that since. Current one hates losing and seems to hate learning fighting games just as much. We only played MvC2 all of once and whined about my Captain Commando being cheap. Not promising! Good thing playing fighting games online isn't (completely) awful these days.

edit: also, Polly, I admit that I only now read the last part of your post in detail. Your friends seem to have very upsetting attitudes about how competition works!

[this message was edited by Grave on Thu 31 Dec 11:00]

Nekros
210th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):........." , posted Thu 31 Dec 19:51post reply

quote:

Polly, I admit that I only now read the last part of your post in detail. Your friends seem to have very upsetting attitudes about how competition works!

Have you ever fight Polly in a game? She has superhuman abilities :P

Regarding the cross-over with Capcom: it was officially announced as Sammy vs Capcom then officially cancelled about 2 years after. I emailed to Sammy about it and they told me it was a game more focused on Vampire and Justice Gakuen characters than SF ones. Really glad if the project would restart again in some ways (not a card game or pachinko please!).

Side note: I have Overture, but never played it. It's still sealed and never opened. I'm bit late playing some games (Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and Bionic Commando are still sealed too). I'm very curious about that game, though.

mbisonhatclub
134th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):........." , posted Fri 1 Jan 01:01post reply

quote:

1) If they lose: they talk about how bad they suck (even though they've never played the game before) and how they "don't deserve to play". Needless to say, they quit.

2) If they win: They talk about how stupid the game is, how they don't even know what they're doing and how they robbed someone else of the victory.

Maybe I need some friends with less...issues.

you need to start playing with us again instead because we are awesome and you know you love hearing bang's theme over and over

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Grave
1265th Post

"Re(4):........." , posted Fri 1 Jan 03:50post reply

quote:

I recall her Rachel being good, but not scary like mbisonhatclub's Litchi. I also have a very bad memory so I don't know!

quote:
Side note: I have Overture, but never played it. It's still sealed and never opened. I'm bit late playing some games (Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and Bionic Commando are still sealed too). I'm very curious about that game, though.

There's a lot to like, but there's a lot of unavoidable badness that you need to be willing to suck it up and deal with. I had to choose between understanding the dialogue that happens while you're trying to do shit in some battles being annoyed by the English grunts and noises in combat or understanding little to nothing, so I picked the latter. The's plot is terrible. It may in fact be carcinogenic. A few of the cutscenes are worth watching but babbling endlessly about backyard and nonsense terms they act like everyone playing should already know and uthrgtdfglhasjdfsld. The actual game itself is pretty fun! Hectic, and the maps are annoying until you know where you can and can't run to (hell, running is annoying) but still enjoyable. Also, be warned that there is one particularly painful level where you have to uncover invisible objects by using an item and your only clue to where each one is is a very unhelpful picture. Also you can't kill enemies in it or you have to start over. I gave up and watched a YouTube video and it was still unbearable.

I'm not really helping the game's case any here, huh?

Nekros
213th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):........." , posted Fri 1 Jan 19:52post reply

quote:

There's a lot to like, but there's a lot of unavoidable badness that you need to be willing to suck it up and deal with. I had to choose between understanding the dialogue that happens while you're trying to do shit in some battles being annoyed by the English grunts and noises in combat or understanding little to nothing, so I picked the latter. The's plot is terrible. It may in fact be carcinogenic. A few of the cutscenes are worth watching but babbling endlessly about backyard and nonsense terms they act like everyone playing should already know and uthrgtdfglhasjdfsld. The actual game itself is pretty fun! Hectic, and the maps are annoying until you know where you can and can't run to (hell, running is annoying) but still enjoyable. Also, be warned that there is one particularly painful level where you have to uncover invisible objects by using an item and your only clue to where each one is is a very unhelpful picture. Also you can't kill enemies in it or you have to start over. I gave up and watched a YouTube video and it was still unbearable.

I'm not really helping the game's case any here, huh?

MMhhh seems a really bad game to me.
And what about "english grunts"? You can't select japanese dub?

Grave
1267th Post

"Re(6):........." , posted Fri 1 Jan 23:50post reply

What I mean to say is, there are times where there's dialogue going on while you're trying to actually play the game so if you're reading subtitles you're probably not focusing what you're doing. If you have the game set to English, Sol says obnoxious stuff ALL THE TIME while you're trying to fight shit. It's a no-win situation!

Evenor
706th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"gorrila fate is turning" , posted Sat 2 Jan 12:51post reply

quote:
I recall her Rachel being good, but not scary like mbisonhatclub's Litchi. I also have a very bad memory so I don't know!

mbisonhatclub's Litchi is ferocious.Litchi's dp always throws me off! He inspires me to learn her but I invested too much time on one character and ultimately became apathetic (at least till Continuum Shift comes out). I will probably try out Tsubaki if Rachel is as horribly nerfed as people say she is. Polly was really good when I played against her for one match in KOFXII though.

At least with my friends, the hardest part of introducing them to fighting games is executing moves. When SF4 came out I tried to explain how to perform a sonic boom to one of my friends. " Just hold back for two seconds and press any punch and forward at the same time" is said, thinking it would be very simple. It took forever. It really hit me how alien fighting games in general can really be to a non-fan. His thumb was raw after several unsuccessful tries.

drink from me and live forever

Toxico
4827th Post

"Re(1):gorrila fate is turning" , posted Sat 2 Jan 13:34post reply

quote:
When SF4 came out I tried to explain how to perform a sonic boom to one of my friends. " Just hold back for two seconds and press any punch and forward at the same time" is said, thinking it would be very simple. It took forever. It really hit me how alien fighting games in general can really be to a non-fan. His thumb was raw after several unsuccessful tries.

There is nothing to be ashamed of, I know quite well some of it; like, when getting +40 win streak with World Champions Guile in the PS2 anniversary game my hands felt like some shaolin monk warrior who trained moving hot strobes to get the tiger / dragon inscription engraved in his skin... And I mainly played an offensive game, instead of the usual 90 seconds crouch in the corner trick (heck, I felt like those guys where reenacting castlevania II (see 7:35 if you don't have a childhood).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

kofoguz
807th Post

"AOF 4!? Get out!" , posted Sun 3 Jan 07:32post reply

Probably fake but a confusing video revealed by SpecSNK (a spanish site) in a some kind of local april fools day. But the vid also looks so-so believable. It supposedly comes from SNKP New Year Party?
Is this reaaly the teaser video of AOF 4

What do you guys think?

Also randomly;
Falcon is involved with Namco for an I-phone game named 7th Deadly Beats. That explains Butterfly bikini of Zafina!

karasu99
255th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):AOF 4!? Get out!" , posted Tue 5 Jan 06:31post reply

quote:
Probably fake but a confusing video revealed by SpecSNK (a spanish site) in a some kind of local april fools day. But the vid also looks so-so believable. It supposedly comes from SNKP New Year Party?
Is this reaaly the teaser video of AOF 4

What do you guys think?

That's pretty funny. I can't really say one way or another if I believe it or not-- in fact, I might not even believe it if SNKP announced it officially. All I'll say is it's very light on actual content and the 'title' screen looks odd-- it's probably the 'fansub' looking font they used for the English title.

However... it does make me want to drag out my Ryuuko no Ken collection and play some.

As for the Falcoon news, even though I don't appreciate his aesthetic, especially where it intersected with the KOF franchise, but I wish him all the best since he's pretty talented.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Karasu's New Years' Resolution 2010: Talk nicer about people in general, especially those who are more successful than he is. Although I suppose I've broken it already by talking the way I did about SNKP just now! Damn it, the resolutions are a pain in the ass.

End of Spoiler

Pollyanna
2823th Post

"Re(1):gorrila fate is turning" , posted Tue 5 Jan 07:43post reply

Since we're speaking about online fighting games, it might be worth noting that it seems like the entire online Tekken 6 community consists of gangstas with sassy girlfriends/wives griping at them while a baby cries in the background.

quote:
you need to start playing with us again instead because we are awesome and you know you love hearing bang's theme over and over

I gave BlazBlue to a friend, since I was wrapped up in other games. I'm sure I won't be much competition by the time I get it back.

I think I might have been the best by a VERY narrow margin when we started playing, but you guys got better and better very quickly and I couldn't keep up. Compare my early matches against Grave's Hakumen to my later ones.

But, I mean...they were all good fights. I don't care if I win or lose as long as it's a good fight. I only get irritated when it's no contest...hahaha.

quote:

I will probably try out Tsubaki if Rachel is as horribly nerfed as people say she is. Polly was really good when I played against her for one match in KOFXII though.

I played a bit of Continuum Shift the other day. Rachel is indeed nerfed, but I don't feel like she's any less fun to play. What's NOT fun is getting nailed by Bang's insanely long, insanely damaging combos. I hate watching myself lose so...slowly.

I like Tsubaki, though. I was hoping she'd be a bit more "crazy", though. She's fairly boring for a BlazBlue character. Just like...Jam v2.

You're FAR too kind about KOF, though. I was a total mess when we played each other. I'm always a total mess on that game. I'm amazed at what other players can accomplish with the input lag that so cripples me. I don't get angry at games normally, but KOFXII online turns me into a frothing beast.

So yeah...big congratulations on using Elizabeth in that environment.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
216th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):gorrila fate is turning" , posted Tue 5 Jan 21:21:post reply

What about Hazama? You've played as him too?

[this message was edited by Nekros on Tue 5 Jan 21:21]

Grave
1270th Post

"punch punch punch" , posted Wed 6 Jan 00:49post reply

That AOF video is so, so fake but I'd actually be thrilled if SNK revisited a fighting franchise that wasn't KOF or some other crossover-type title. When was the last time that happened...? As a side bonus they'd have more sprites to use for KOF XIII! Everybody wins! Unless, of course, it sucks. Hmmm.

Now I also want the AOF collection, but I don't own it and my PS2 isn't even here! Still, GameStop has it for $10 used and I have a $5 credit. Should I get World Heroes or AOF?! MMCafe, choose my adventure!

Also, any of y'all Cafe folks on facebook want to join a series of very casual fighting game tournaments? It goes like this: game is announced on the first of the month or thereabouts, month it spent learning the game (and hopefully discussing it in the group, but nobody's doing that yet...!), last week is a tournament with matches played over GGPO or 2DF. We have 14 people now but I have a fear people will be flaking out when it's time to play their matches in a few weeks. Jan. is SFA2!

quote:
Since we're speaking about online fighting games, it might be worth noting that it seems like the entire online Tekken 6 community consists of gangstas with sassy girlfriends/wives griping at them while a baby cries in the background.

It's exactly the way T5DR was! I kind of like it! But the randoms are a little less tolerant of the usual antics. Gangstas don't dig the intensely homoerotic atmosphere, I guess. I haven't played since the patch came out, has it really improved things significantly?

quote:
I gave BlazBlue to a friend, since I was wrapped up in other games. I'm sure I won't be much competition by the time I get it back.

Hopefully they'll announce a date for the home version of CS soon! Still, I barely play anymore, I'd like to fix that but currently I am a great number of miles away my PS3. Oh well. We've brought a few new people into the group, one is fairly new comparatively but is a quick learner and a ton of fun to play with. When you get it back you should join!

Or you could just kick our asses at Tekken. I've barely touched it since the first two weeks or so and it's a damn shame, I really like it! But lately me and video games... not holding my attention span very well. Who else at the Cafe got Tekken 6 on PS3?

quote:
I think I might have been the best by a VERY narrow margin when we started playing, but you guys got better and better very quickly and I couldn't keep up. Compare my early matches against Grave's Hakumen to my later ones.

Oh, that's true! I remember being impressed very early on that you had picked up some Rachel combos while I was still futzing around with basic moves and running like crazy. Still, it's so sweet of you to imply that I'm capable of learning! Others would beg to differ.

I think Chinatown Faire should have finally gotten their CS machine by now. I can't worry about getting to NYC until I worry about geting back to Boston, but I'd really like to get down there and play it sometime. Seeing people destroy things with Hakumen gets me really, really pumped!

Iggy
9037th Post

"Re(1):punch punch punch" , posted Wed 6 Jan 01:10post reply

World Heroes.

Also, I own Tekken 6 PS3, but I only unlocked the endings for Lily and Roger Jr, then never touched it again.
And I don't have a PS3.

karasu99
257th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):punch punch punch" , posted Wed 6 Jan 01:55post reply

I'll second Iggy's vote for World Heroes. Without question.

I'm a little interested in BlazBlue:CS, although I'll admit I don't like the first game at all. In other words, I won't be fooled into wanting a game where I can't stand the character design by smooth as silk animation. That said, I actually DO like the character design of the two new characters, so maybe.

I own Tekken 6 but I don't do online play.

Toxico
4832th Post

"Re(2):punch punch punch" , posted Wed 6 Jan 02:02post reply

quote:
World Heroes.

World Heroes.

Without adding nostalgia to the mix, the 1P experience in WH gorgeous is a much varied and rewarding than the Ryuuko comp; and in the 2P experience, while Ryuuko Gaiden is great and can be fun with every character you have the drag that it takes a while to properly "enter" the game and what you should be doing. WH 2 and Jet are pretty much fun with all the cast too, and are slightly easier to approach and play... Well, and the fact that you can switch between two fun games also adds a lot to the experience.

All of these comments are using the assumption that you don't know nor remember how to whack Geese, Mr Karate or Wyler with a single credit (it's much harder than it sounds). In the WH the only game that I happen to find challenging in that sense is 2 (I can't clear it with just a handful of characters, that says a lot... Then again my concept of hard and easy don't really fit many players).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Grave
1272th Post

"Re(3):punch punch punch" , posted Wed 6 Jan 02:22post reply

Wow, this is going well! I admit that I was leaning more toward WH because of the number of fans (and absurdly detailed threads) here, MMCafe got me into Vampire Savior and that went well, so I figured this will too! For $5 for either I certainly can't go wrong, but this should be more fun to talk about!
quote:
I'm a little interested in BlazBlue:CS, although I'll admit I don't like the first game at all. In other words, I won't be fooled into wanting a game where I can't stand the character design by smooth as silk animation. That said, I actually DO like the character design of the two new characters, so maybe.

How much of CT have you played? I disliked most of the character designs when they were announced and CT was making its run in arcades, but I knew I'd buy it the day it came out because it was a new Arc System Works fighter with netplay. I came to like it almost immediately, everybody has so much personality and plays so differently, even the "boring goth loli" I thought I'd hate so much. Do you really think Tsubaki and boring design Hazama are all that much better than any of the others?
quote:

I own Tekken 6 but I don't do online play.

No? Bad connection? Don't like the people? We're fun, I promise!

More PSN questions: anyone pick up the US version of Battle Fantasia yet? I'll DL it when I'm back to where my PS3 is. Fun little game, got the Japanese version way back when it came out but never got to play it with anyone I know.

karasu99
258th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):punch punch punch" , posted Wed 6 Jan 03:03post reply

quote:
How much of CT have you played? I disliked most of the character designs when they were announced and CT was making its run in arcades, but I knew I'd buy it the day it came out because it was a new Arc System Works fighter with netplay. I came to like it almost immediately, everybody has so much personality and plays so differently, even the "boring goth loli" I thought I'd hate so much. Do you really think Tsubaki and boring design Hazama are all that much better than any of the others?

They all just strike me as... well, overdesigned-- a few in particular: Tager, Carl, and Rachel being the absolute worst. That's not to say I don't like any of them though-- Hakumen, Bang, and Taokaka are pretty okay. And I have played some, but not a whole lot. I don't know, maybe I'll give it another shot and see if time has mellowed my opinion.
quote:

No? Bad connection? Don't like the people? We're fun, I promise!

Eh, maybe I'll join. I suck, for one, so everyone here will outplay me. Although since I've been around here at the Cafe for a little while I suppose you all are no longer strangers, right? If I do decide to come and play online, my PSN id is robotchris.
quote:

More PSN questions: anyone pick up the US version of Battle Fantasia yet? I'll DL it when I'm back to where my PS3 is. Fun little game, got the Japanese version way back when it came out but never got to play it with anyone I know.

I have Battle Fantasia (on the X360 though), although I had to really search locally to find it-- only one retailer locally stocked any, and even then they only received 3 copies, two of which employees at the store bought. It's a fun game and has a decent aesthetic and nicely designed characters. I suppose it's the medieval theme, but it reminds me a bit of Golden Axe: The Duel, only good.

Evenor
707th Post

"Re(4):punch punch punch" , posted Wed 6 Jan 05:46post reply

quote:

I got it last week and I have been enjoying it. I still don't understand that system that much but I treat it like I am playing with SFIII (I suck at gachi though). More people should play online! I usually never play story/arcade/1p mode and just stick to online play to "learn" the game. I know I have missed out a lot of things in certain games (BB) but in others it has gone great (KOFXII). It is probably a response of the years of playing by myself before I got a ps3 ;(

drink from me and live forever

Grave
1274th Post

"Re(5):punch punch punch" , posted Wed 6 Jan 09:35post reply

I hope you give BB another try! It exceeded my expectations, but I understand not everybody is going to love it. I'm glad that most of my friends have taken to it as well, even if that led to mbisonhatclub becoming a terrifying monster with Tager and Litchi, though I hope to improve my Hakumen to match before CS comes home!
quote:
Eh, maybe I'll join. I suck, for one, so everyone here will outplay me. Although since I've been around here at the Cafe for a little while I suppose you all are no longer strangers, right? If I do decide to come and play online, my PSN id is robotchris.

You never really get better unless you play with people! If the netcode has really improved, it should be a great time, T6 was lots of fun even with the bad netcode. I'm not a very good Tekken player outside of my Bryan (which is mostly lacking in any strategies developed post-Tekken 3), but I want to get better as well. I really love Lars, Alisa and Leo. My PSN username is Drakee, but I won't be near my system for a while still.

quote:
I have Battle Fantasia (on the X360 though), although I had to really search locally to find it-- only one retailer locally stocked any, and even then they only received 3 copies, two of which employees at the store bought. It's a fun game and has a decent aesthetic and nicely designed characters. I suppose it's the medieval theme, but it reminds me a bit of Golden Axe: The Duel, only good.

quote:
I got it last week and I have been enjoying it. I still don't understand that system that much but I treat it like I am playing with SFIII (I suck at gachi though). More people should play online! I usually never play story/arcade/1p mode and just stick to online play to "learn" the game. I know I have missed out a lot of things in certain games (BB) but in others it has gone great (KOFXII). It is probably a response of the years of playing by myself before I got a ps3 ;(

Yeah, there's something about the aesthetic that I really love. It drew me to the game long before I ever had the chance to play it or see much other than camera shots of it in a Vewlix cab. Shocked me how good it looked in HD in person, even with the somewhat rough-looking models. There's something about it that reminds me of Power Stone for some inexplicable reason, but that's a very good thing in this case.

There's a lack of good English-language information about the game (or was, been a while since I looked) so it's difficult to understand if I was doing a lot "right" or not, but with more of us playing it'll be easier to develop sound strategies, at least!

And yeah, it's very interesting to see what netplay, heavy coverage of tournaments and easy access to videos online has done for the way people learn and play fighting games. It's a very different way to spread knowledge and I'm sure all the smelly SSF2T veterans and other oldschool arcade creeps hate it, just as they hate showering. But I think putting better learning tools into the hands of all players is absolutely incredible. Getting the community's help for putting together the Blazblue LE was a great step and I'm excited to see where the genre goes in the future in terms of helping the more timid and less hardcore fans get the most out of the games.

Pollyanna
2824th Post

"Re(3):gorrila fate is turning" , posted Wed 6 Jan 13:03post reply

quote:
It's exactly the way T5DR was! I kind of like it! But the randoms are a little less tolerant of the usual antics. Gangstas don't dig the intensely homoerotic atmosphere, I guess. I haven't played since the patch came out, has it really improved things significantly?

The patch is GREAT! It's not perfect, of course...and it's still tough to parry (not that I'm any good at parrying anyway), but it's very very playable...the best anyone could hope for. It's no BlazBlue, but excellent connections really are excellent.

The only thing is, connections tend to get lost more often than I'm used to. That, and people boot me like crazy! I have no idea why, either. If I like...kick their ass, totally suck or have a bad connection, I could understand...but they seem to boot me based on...I don't know. They don't like my handle? My icon?

I totally suck at Tekken, by the way. But I am completely unapologetically enthusiastic about sucking.

I'm tempted to get a mic and counter the "gangsta trash talk" with "snobby little British girl". Might need to pitch myself up if I want to go for like...10 year old, though.

quote:

Only a bit, and it didn't go as well as I had hoped. I'll have to give him another shot soon. I'm no expert, but early impressions are:

1) His air combos are cool and super fast. Three times the number of hits in 1/3 the time as Hakumen or Bang!

2) Learning spacing and trajectory on his moves seems to be the first hill to climb. His drive is a good way to make an opening.

3) His kick super looks boring, but is really handy and can be followed by a chain and his other super.

4) He has a weird pace to him. Sometimes he moves really fast and sometimes he moves really slow.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iron D
3358th Post

"Re(6):punch punch punch" , posted Wed 6 Jan 13:06post reply

quote:
I hope you give BB another try! It exceeded my expectations, but I understand not everybody is going to love it. I'm glad that most of my friends have taken to it as well, even if that led to mbisonhatclub becoming a terrifying monster with Tager and Litchi, though I hope to improve my Hakumen to match before CS comes home!
You never really get better unless you play with people! If the netcode has really improved, it should be a great time, T6 was lots of fun even with the bad netcode. I'm not a very good Tekken player outside of my Bryan (which is mostly lacking in any strategies developed post-Tekken 3), but I want to get better as well. I really love Lars, Alisa and Leo. My PSN username is Drakee, but I won't be near my system for a while still.

Yeah, there's something about the aesthetic that I really love. It drew me to the game long before I ever had the chance to play it or see much other than camera shots of it in a Vewlix cab. Shocked me how good it looked in HD in person, even with the somewhat rough-looking models. There's something about it that reminds me of Power Stone for some inexplicable reason, but that's a very good thing in this case.

There's a lack of good English-language information about the game (or was, been a while since I looked) so it's difficult to understand if I was doing a lot "right" or not, but with more of us playing it'll be easier to develop sound strategies, at least!

And yeah, it's very interesting to see what netplay, heavy coverage of tournaments and easy access to videos online has done for the way people learn and play fighting games. It's a very different way to spread knowledge and I'm sure all the smelly SSF2T veterans and other oldschool arcade creeps hate it, just as they hate showering. But I think putting better learning tools into the hands of all players is absolutely incredible. Getting the community's help for putting together the Blazblue LE was a great step and I'm excited to see where the genre goes in the future in terms of helping the more timid and less hardcore fans get the most out of the games.

I am playing Tekken 6 online, for anyone interested in playing against me. I'm...decent...definitely not as good as I should be after having played every Tekken game. I tend to get beaten pretty badly against some folks, but I can generally hold my own okay.

I actually don't have many MMCafe folks on my friends list anymore. You guys just aren't online that often, and when you are you're not playing anything that I am. I play T6 and SSF2THDR mostly.

Er.....

Nekros
217th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):gorrila fate is turning" , posted Wed 6 Jan 19:59post reply

quote:

Only a bit, and it didn't go as well as I had hoped. I'll have to give him another shot soon. I'm no expert, but early impressions are:

1) His air combos are cool and super fast. Three times the number of hits in 1/3 the time as Hakumen or Bang!

2) Learning spacing and trajectory on his moves seems to be the first hill to climb. His drive is a good way to make an opening.

3) His kick super looks boring, but is really handy and can be followed by a chain and his other super.

4) He has a weird pace to him. Sometimes he moves really fast and sometimes he moves really slow.

It reminds me of I-no in some ways... strong aerial moves and combos, wacky timing/spacing in normals and ground combos. Need training but seems more interesting than Tsubaki.

Side note: I've beaten story mode in Overture yesterday. I agree with Grave, it's not a crappy game, but it's for fans only. I appreciate the story and general setting, loved the characters and some twists of the gameplay. I find a nice surprise the Senko No Ronde-styled fight and the first part of the final boss fight, similar to Sonic's epic battle against Perfect Chaos.
The "strategy" part is not that bad, either. It's a mediocre game in terms of realisation and technology but it has a warm heart that only real GG otakus can understand and appreciate.

Iggy
9041th Post

"Vanillaware's new project..." , posted Thu 7 Jan 05:41post reply

seems NSFW.

Click at your own risk.

It's so beautiful that you may not care, on the other hand.

karasu99
260th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Vanillaware's new project..." , posted Thu 7 Jan 06:03post reply

quote:
seems NSFW.

Click at your own risk.

It's so beautiful that you may not care, on the other hand.

WOW. That's great looking. Is there any actual info about the project inside that splash screen though?

Grave
1276th Post

"Re(2):Vanillaware's new project..." , posted Thu 7 Jan 06:05post reply

Consider me intrigued! Also, I'd like to hear more along the lines of those mumblings about Muramasa being ported to a console that can handle modern resolutions. That would be good.

Grave
1277th Post

"Re(5):gorrila fate is turning" , posted Thu 7 Jan 06:53post reply

quote:
Side note: I've beaten story mode in Overture yesterday. I agree with Grave, it's not a crappy game, but it's for fans only. I appreciate the story and general setting, loved the characters and some twists of the gameplay. I find a nice surprise the Senko No Ronde-styled fight and the first part of the final boss fight, similar to Sonic's epic battle against Perfect Chaos.
The "strategy" part is not that bad, either. It's a mediocre game in terms of realisation and technology but it has a warm heart that only real GG otakus can understand and appreciate.

All of what you said is pretty much true! I thought the storyline was mostly incomprehensible and not very good, but I loved a lot of the characters and it has enough interesting revelations that it's worthwhiel. The clunky gameplay does yield something good when you dig deep enough, but I fear a lot of people will never do that. I think all GG fans should at least give it a shot. I just don't know if they should pay a lot for it.

nobinobita
672th Post

"Re(2):Vanillaware's new project..." , posted Thu 7 Jan 07:10post reply

quote:

WOW. That's great looking. Is there any actual info about the project inside that splash screen though?

I believe that's just a new years gift image that George Kamitani does annually. A friend of mine's been corresponding with him for almost 2 years now and he always gets a cool image every new year directly from George. So far the images have been very butt and foot focused (COOL).

Nekros
218th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Vanillaware's new project..." , posted Thu 7 Jan 21:26post reply

Yeah, new game based on Greek Mythology confiremd! :P

Princess Crown - generic heroic fantasy/celtic myth.
Odin Sphere - nordic myth.
Muramasa - japanese myth.

It will be very cool if they take seriously on Egyptian mythology, too.

Pollyanna
2828th Post

"Re(4):Can't shut up about FFXIII" , posted Thu 14 Jan 18:55post reply

Sooo...the FFXIII "final" trailer is out in English if those who care snf didn't catch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJPbozRomX4&feature=related

Grumpy internet people seem to be making a stink about the song change, but if it's any consolation, I can say that the original theme song made almost no impact on the game whatsoever.

That is to say, it was pasted onto the ending FMV, which I'm sure was completed well over a year ago and without that particular song in mind.

Now if they change the other main vocal themes, that would be problematic. (Although I don't think that's the case)

In other FFXIII news, it was reported that enough was cut from the game to make an entirely new game. This is terrible to hear, but easy to believe, as the game got extremely spotty here and there and did a poor job of explaining the world that they put so much effort into building. For a full understanding of things, it's quite necessary to read some of the notes the game unlocks as you move along.

Also, I got the impression that the FMV was made long before the game was finished and some plot points had to be...massaged a bit to match up.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the game immensely, and its good points are extremely good...it's just that it leaves you with a sense of "wasted potential" after it's all said and done. Incidentally, I felt the same way about FFXII.

I...I think that's all I have to say about the game now?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
3659th Post

"Re(5):Can't shut up about FFXIII" , posted Fri 15 Jan 01:54post reply

quote:
In other FFXIII news, it was reported that enough was cut from the game to make an entirely new game. This is terrible to hear, but easy to believe, as the game got extremely spotty here and there and did a poor job of explaining the world that they put so much effort into building. For a full understanding of things, it's quite necessary to read some of the notes the game unlocks as you move along.

Also, I got the impression that the FMV was made long before the game was finished and some plot points had to be...massaged a bit to match up.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the game immensely, and its good points are extremely good...it's just that it leaves you with a sense of "wasted potential" after it's all said and done. Incidentally, I felt the same way about FFXII.

I...I think that's all I have to say about the game now?

Is Squenix still planning on releasing three to six other FFXIII games? I doubt that the massive amount of material left out of FFXIII proper could be used for FFXIII Versus or whatever the rest of the titles are going to be called but I do wonder if this overarching project is so large that the creators are starting to lose control.

NeoRyu
1142th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(5):Can't shut up about FFXIII" , posted Fri 15 Jan 02:35post reply

quote:
Sooo...the FFXIII "final" trailer is out in English if those who care snf didn't catch it:

The voice acting is actually really well done in the English version.

kofoguz
812th Post

"Re(6):Can't shut up about FFXIII" , posted Fri 15 Jan 10:49post reply

quote:

Yeah, I agree completely. Each voice suits their characters. Even the cheesy voice of Sarah (she's the orange haired girl, right?), not too over the top. Cant wait to play this game...

Maou
1889th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Can't shut up about FFXIII" , posted Fri 15 Jan 11:39post reply

quote:

Relatedly, remember how the FMV in XII was really...lackluster? Not a shade different from X, and the in-game characters, as I recall you noting, looked so much better. Come to think of it, XIII seems to have been delayed quite a few times, too, continuing the traditiona of high-tech FMV obsolesence.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Ishmael
3660th Post

"Tekken trailer" , posted Fri 15 Jan 23:36post reply

Now for something quite random... the Tekken movie trailer.

karasu99
270th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Tekken trailer" , posted Sat 16 Jan 02:30post reply

quote:

Surprising how close it looks to the 'martial arts tournament' movies of the mid to late 80's and early 90's. But then I guess it should given the subject matter.

Still, I'm impressed that they had the guts to actually include Yoshimitsu.

nobinobita
675th Post

"Re(2):Tekken trailer" , posted Sat 16 Jan 04:17:post reply

quote:

Surprising how close it looks to the 'martial arts tournament' movies of the mid to late 80's and early 90's. But then I guess it should given the subject matter.

This looks like it could actually be fun in a Blood Sport kinda way. John Foo is a pretty good Jin. He gave Tony Jaa a pretty good fight in Tom Yum Goon, and he actually bulked up a bit to play the role.

It looks like they're actually putting some effort into this movie. Almost as if they actually cared for the franchise they're adapting!

Also, I shouldn't have to be greatful for this, but at least they cast (part) Asian actors as the Asian characters.

My 8 year old self would look forward to this movie.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 16 Jan 04:18]

Pollyanna
2829th Post

"Re(6):Can't shut up about FFXIII" , posted Sat 16 Jan 04:48post reply

quote:

Is Squenix still planning on releasing three to six other FFXIII games? I doubt that the massive amount of material left out of FFXIII proper could be used for FFXIII Versus or whatever the rest of the titles are going to be called but I do wonder if this overarching project is so large that the creators are starting to lose control.

Who knows! We could see a FFXIII-2 that undoes the

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
bittersweet

End of Spoiler

ending just like FFX-2 did! Otherwise, I feel like the world is so unique that they would have to refigure the environments to squeeze them into anything. Guess it depends on if the areas are from Cocoon or Pulse.

quote:

Yeah, even after spending 70 hours with the Japanese cast, they still sound pretty good. I have nitpicks here and there (Lighting has a great voice, but is trying about 15% too hard), but it looks like it'll be a (expectedly) solid dub. Hope sounds especially good and I was delighted that Dysley sounds all right, too (he was my favorite performance in Japanese).

I'd take a FFXIII International with new content for sure!

quote:
Relatedly, remember how the FMV in XII was really...lackluster? Not a shade different from X, and the in-game characters, as I recall you noting, looked so much better. Come to think of it, XIII seems to have been delayed quite a few times, too, continuing the traditiona of high-tech FMV obsolesence.

The textures on the FFXII renders just couldn't be beat. They added so much personality to the world. The FMV just looked sterile in comparison. I don't think it was an issue of technology, though...

The FMV in FFXIII look great, but I think they're tied into my biggest problem with FFXII- sloppy storytelling. In FFXII I feel like they had a great story, but when they plugged it into a game, they had to come up with a bunch of useless things to keep the characters busy (while the plot went on elsewhere). In FFXIII, they have a rich, detailed world that they can't bother explaining because the characters are too wrapped up in "more exciting" things.

What I meant about the FMV in relation to this is that they sometimes feel like they were...not "made for a different game" but "made when something else was in mind for certain points in the game".

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Gojira
2569th Post

"Re(1):Tekken trailer" , posted Sat 16 Jan 08:05post reply

quote:

Right now the accuracy of the outfits is what interests me the most. It's kind of funny seeing these dark, empty backgrounds with those bright, colorful costumes.

shipoopi

Freeter
4494th Post

"Re(3):Tekken trailer" , posted Sat 16 Jan 13:40post reply

quote:

It looks like they're actually putting some effort into this movie. Almost as if they actually cared for the franchise they're adapting!

That trailer gave me a Mortal Kombat I vibe (ironic too since Shang Tsung's actor is actually in the film). This could end up being a good adaptation if done right.

KOF, on the other hand...is that steampile still set for release? Or is it headed straight for the bargain bin where it belongs?

Spoon
1877th Post

"Dark Void Zero" , posted Sat 16 Jan 17:20post reply

I have professed my desire for this game before, but after seeing this trailer:
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/darkvoidzero/video/6245054/dark-void-zero--ces-official-trailer

I think I have to buy a DSi now.

HAYATO
956th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Tekken trailer" , posted Sat 16 Jan 23:35post reply

quote:

This looks like it could actually be fun in a Blood Sport kinda way. John Foo is a pretty good Jin. He gave Tony Jaa a pretty good fight in Tom Yum Goon, and he actually bulked up a bit to play the role.

Also, I shouldn't have to be greatful for this, but at least they cast (part) Asian actors as the Asian characters.

My 8 year old self would look forward to this movie.

Eddie Gordo is played by Tom Yun Goong's capoeira fighter as well, which I think is a perfect charracter match. Plus, Gary Daniels also stars in it, so this film is going to become a must-see (well, at least it will be kept high in my personal agenda)...

Nekros
220th Post

Frequent Customer

"yesss!" , posted Sun 17 Jan 01:25post reply

According to NeoGaf, Deathsmiles is coming stateside

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385045

Hope for a region free game.

Mozex
398th Post

Silver Customer

"First person Tetris" , posted Sun 17 Jan 02:37post reply

First person Tetris

Extremely disorienting at first. I love the attention to detail including the slightly-off v-sync on the television.

Be kind to goblins.

Spoon
1878th Post

"Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Sun 17 Jan 09:49post reply

When I saw these I remember the discussions we had with Polly about the Variable Geo games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJpGMIJKvYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-__kRJANjbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljHv_66tpnw

hikarutilmitt
527th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Mon 18 Jan 03:23post reply

quote:
When I saw these I remember the discussions we had with Polly about the Variable Geo games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJpGMIJKvYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-__kRJANjbM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljHv_66tpnw

Dammit, this just makes me wish they hadn't sold out at the end and start making the series into another generic AVG. And the non-porn ones (the PSX versions) were the best ones!

karasu99
271th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):First person Tetris" , posted Mon 18 Jan 06:05post reply

quote:
First person Tetris

Extremely disorienting at first. I love the attention to detail including the slightly-off v-sync on the television.

This had my wife and I giggling like schoolchildren at how unexpected the implementation was. I suppose we both thought it would be Welltris-ish.

Oh, but then it made us both motion sick.

Maou
1890th Post

"Re(2):First person Tetris" , posted Mon 18 Jan 06:31post reply

quote:
First person Tetris

This had my wife and I giggling like schoolchildren at how unexpected the implementation was. I suppose we both thought it would be Welltris-ish.

Oh, but then it made us both motion sick.

Ooh, I almost threw up. It's really cool, though.

kofoguz
814th Post

"Re(1):First person Tetris" , posted Mon 18 Jan 08:48post reply

quote:
First person Tetris

If it isnt challenging enough, try the night mode!

Toxico
4843th Post

"Re(2):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Mon 18 Jan 12:59post reply

quote:
And the non-porn ones (the PSX versions) were the best ones!

Does this actually refer to the Asuka 120% titles?

Also, I highly advice to check out that youtube user page has quite some amazing collection of videos, including some vampire hunter tournament, some amazing garou 3 combo movies and garou special bugs and a bunch of other cool videos that I have seriously considered to add in some cranky post, but always seemed to off topic to made any kind of cut.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Pollyanna
2830th Post

"Re(3):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Mon 18 Jan 18:56post reply

Wow, I didn't know you could abuse the AVG 2 combo system that much.

I really loved that game to pieces, though. I'm not sure if it had any truly original ideas or not...but at the very least, it had a fantastic collection of good ideas from other fighting games.

For years, I hoped for a reboot/sequel with new character designs (or even a fighting game version of VG Neo), but now that's become as irrelevant as hopes for a "real" Silent Hill sequel.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Loona
289th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Tekken trailer" , posted Mon 18 Jan 19:32post reply

quote:
Now for something quite random...

This - I'm curious to see how the heck they'll try and fit him into the plot.

BTW, what the heck was that recurring mention of "the people's choice" or whatever in the trailer? They came up with something random to replace the attempted parricides and filicides in the Mishima family, disregarding plot but keeping the costumes to make up for that?...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Count Hihihi
212th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Mon 18 Jan 23:47post reply

quote:

Also, I highly advice to check out that youtube user page has quite some amazing collection of videos, including some vampire hunter tournament, some amazing garou 3 combo movies and garou special bugs and a bunch of other cool videos that I have seriously considered to add in some cranky post, but always seemed to off topic to made any kind of cut.

You forgot to mention the amazing World Heroes 2 death match videos. Also, this place needs more cranky posts that link to interesting match videos. I don't think they're off topic at all.

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

hikarutilmitt
528th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Tue 19 Jan 08:17post reply

quote:
Does this actually refer to the Asuka 120% titles?

Nah, the 2 PSX VG games (just Advanced VG and Advanced VG2) were somewhat risque in a few cutscenes, but there was no mention of the humiliation scenes whatsoever that were prevalent in the Saturn and PC games. In fact, the original OVAs were based upon the first PSX game (the second OVAs were... hentai based on VG Neo, which is one of the aforementioned generic visual AVGs). I still adore Advanced VG2 for the ideas it stole from other games and slapped into it while still managing to stay somewhat balanced in the process.

You do bring up an interesting point with Asuka 120%, though. I want another fighting game with Kimura doing the designs and always thought a crossover of Asuka 120% and Advanced VG would be one of the best things ever for all-girl fighting games.

PS: anyone remember wen 90% of the internet kept calling VG "Virgin Girl" for some goddamned reason? It's not like it was some sort of spinoff of Viper or something.

karasu99
274th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Wed 20 Jan 00:44:post reply

quote:
You do bring up an interesting point with Asuka 120%, though. I want another fighting game with Kimura doing the designs and always thought a crossover of Asuka 120% and Advanced VG would be one of the best things ever for all-girl fighting games.

I'll admit that I scarcely knew about AVG2 at all before this post, and I thought I was at least somewhat familiar with almost all the 2D fighters of that era. Once again, the Cafe provides me with an education!

So I'm guessing that AVG2 is the one to look for if I wanted to try the series out? According to Wiki, many of the others are visual novels.

Latching on to that mention of Asuka 120%, anyone want to suggest the very best one in the series if I was going to buy just one? I had one of the Saturn ones (don't recall which one, honestly) years ago but I've always wanted to give the series one more shot since it was so much fun.

EDIT: New Sky Stage video. It's hilarious that when you beat Riot Iori and Rugal, THEY EXPLODE.

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Wed 20 Jan 03:45]

Ishmael
3662th Post

"Re(5):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Wed 20 Jan 04:53post reply

quote:

EDIT: New Sky Stage video. It's hilarious that when you beat Riot Iori and Rugal, THEY EXPLODE.

I like how casual Mai sounds. It's as if flying through a sky filled with neon balls of death is just another day at the office for her.

Freeter
4495th Post

"Re(5):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Wed 20 Jan 04:56post reply

quote:
So I'm guessing that AVG2 is the one to look for if I wanted to try the series out? According to Wiki, many of the others are visual novels.

The only ones that are visual novels are the 'newer' games. The older games prior to AVG2 and 1 are generic SF clones.

AVG2 is pretty much the definitive version.

sfried
463th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Wed 20 Jan 04:59:post reply

quote:

Do they explain exactly how do they get to fly around Shikigami no Shiro style in this game when they can't even hyper jump that far in '98?

Speaking of wierd ads...

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 20 Jan 05:13]

hikarutilmitt
529th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Wed 20 Jan 07:46post reply

quote:

Latching on to that mention of Asuka 120%, anyone want to suggest the very best one in the series if I was going to buy just one? I had one of the Saturn ones (don't recall which one, honestly) years ago but I've always wanted to give the series one more shot since it was so much fun.

Yeah, VG was a fighting game series until VG Custom and VG Max. After that it became bullshit. The shame of it all is that BG Neo has some interesting character designs, the only returning character was Yuka (known as "Misty" and "Miss T" depending on how you translate it, but it works either way as Miss Takeuchi) trying out a Clark Kent disguise. Honestly, Advanced VG2 is easily the best of the fighting games, unless you want to consider VG Custom to be its equal (since it more or less IS AVG2 with the porn put back in). VG Max is a lot of fun, too, though.

Asuka 120%...... I'll go on a limb and say Burning Fest Final (and subsequently Limited on the Saturn, if you don't care for PSX fighters) would be the"best" one, though certainly not the most popular.

Freeter
4496th Post

"Re(6):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Wed 20 Jan 09:24post reply

quote:
Honestly, Advanced VG2 is easily the best of the fighting games, unless you want to consider VG Custom to be its equal (since it more or less IS AVG2 with the porn put back in).

Custom had less characters though, and a shoddy presentation compared to AVG2. Unless you really craved the porn aspect, AVG2 trounces it in every other way.

I agree that Neo should've been a fighting game, but I guess all the talented programmers jumped ship with Kimura and moved on to better companies/prospects.

sfried
463th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):TvC Game night Live Streaming" , posted Wed 20 Jan 10:00post reply

1UP is hosting it. Questions will be answered.

hikarutilmitt
530th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Wed 20 Jan 10:16post reply

quote:
Honestly, Advanced VG2 is easily the best of the fighting games, unless you want to consider VG Custom to be its equal (since it more or less IS AVG2 with the porn put back in).

Custom had less characters though, and a shoddy presentation compared to AVG2. Unless you really craved the porn aspect, AVG2 trounces it in every other way.

I agree that Neo should've been a fighting game, but I guess all the talented programmers jumped ship with Kimura and moved on to better companies/prospects.

Honestly, the ideas in this thread make me wish that MUGEN had matured some and kept developing. We could be playing a fan-made Advanced Asuka VG120 and tweak it to our liking to make it a super awesome and ignored dojin fighter of the forever.

Ishmael
3663th Post

"Re(6):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Thu 21 Jan 01:01post reply

quote:

Speaking of wierd ads...

Wait a sec, this is getting a US release? I approve, but is there an audience for this game state-side? Is there an audience for this game anywhere?

karasu99
274th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Thu 21 Jan 01:16post reply

quote:

Speaking of wierd ads...
Wait a sec, this is getting a US release? I approve, but is there an audience for this game state-side? Is there an audience for this game anywhere?

STUNNING.

I suppose the 'strange games for Americans' thing that they latched onto with Nobi Nobi Boy must have stuck with them.

sfried
464th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Thu 21 Jan 07:06post reply

quote:

Ask the people who bought Retro Game Challenge and they will definitely say YES!

Besides, Cho Aniki made it to VC, which proves that there is a viable market for these kinds of games..

Loona
290th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Thu 21 Jan 20:03post reply

quote:

Do they explain exactly how do they get to fly around Shikigami no Shiro style in this game when they can't even hyper jump that far in '98?

Kim flies in the backgrounds in FFS -> Rugal learns Reppuken from Geese, Kaiser Wave from Krauser, and apparently flying from Kim -> protagonist characters have to keep up.

It'll have to do...

Toxico
4846th Post

"Re(1):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 22 Jan 14:21:post reply

quote:

I was wondering, why they would they bother to redrawn everything portrait wise, but thanks to this famitsu article now is pretty obvious that this game is getting a pseudo re-bout treatment.

Oh, and also, Sky stage should be out in the arcades today.... I know we all care.

EDIT :

Gah, I totally not saw that article when I checked the site... Also, The official website has updated with some character CGs for the early small villains (Z, Heart sama, Kiba clan / King)... I'm kinda interested on seeing how the colonel will end up, specially if they do try to make something on his hide / seek / banish fight.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Last update : Chapter 15 as of 21/01/10

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 22 Jan 18:30]

Pollyanna
2832th Post

"Re(2):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 22 Jan 17:46:post reply

DUDE.

Amiba and Juda in Hokuto Musou.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1231446_1124.html

I'm totally torn here. Amiba looks perfect, but Juda is a complete train wreck.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not so deluded that I think Juda should actually be handsome, but by Hokuto no Ken standards, he was a reasonably attractive man dolled up ridiculously. This is like...a hideous guy in a hideous costume dolled up ridiculously. But it's not just that he's ugly...it just doesn't look like him to me.

As for Mamiya...she doesn't look as good as she looks in the manga, but at least she doesn't look (as much) like a man like she did in the anime.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Fri 22 Jan 17:48]

Iggy
9050th Post

"Re(3):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 22 Jan 23:12post reply

Capcom tried to get Samurai Pizza Cats in TvC, but failed.

Cries and woes.

nobinobita
677th Post

"Re(4):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 22 Jan 23:33post reply

quote:

Cries and woes.

Waitaminute. I'm sad about the Pizza Cats, but according to the article they really are just flat out replacing the actual animated endings with Udon cut outs.

That's just some kind of cruel joke.

Ishmael
3665th Post

"Re(2):Latest random thread" , posted Sat 23 Jan 00:50post reply

quote:
I was wondering, why they would they bother to redrawn everything portrait wise, but thanks to this famitsu article now is pretty obvious that this game is getting a pseudo re-bout treatment.

Oh, and also, Sky stage should be out in the arcades today.... I know we all care.

I'm not certain the world was clamoring for NGBC Re-Bout but I do admit that Yuki and Ai look a lot better in those scrubbed screens. Their original sprites were so abstract that it looked like they had come out of that horrid 3D Dot Heroes game. So were those mystery portaits of K' and Mai made for this game or are they still orphan images?

Wednesday was National Penguin Awareness Day. I hope everyone had a pleasant holiday.

Spoon
1880th Post

"Re(5):Latest random thread" , posted Sat 23 Jan 03:09post reply

quote:

Cries and woes.

Waitaminute. I'm sad about the Pizza Cats, but according to the article they really are just flat out replacing the actual animated endings with Udon cut outs.

That's just some kind of cruel joke.

Were those animated bits actually good, or were they like the animated bits in SF4? I honestly don't remember.

Because if they were just like the ones in SF4, I wouldn't mind them being changed.

Freeter
4497th Post

"Re(2):Latest random thread" , posted Sat 23 Jan 03:45post reply

quote:

I'm amazed they'd go so far as to touch up the sprites, since NGBC has a huge cast with some sizable animation. I guess after KOF12 they don't care about pissing away their money.

The redone victory portraits are great though. Gives the game a more consistent look.

quote:

If the game is as tongue-in-cheek as Gals Fighters was, then I might care.

karasu99
275th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Latest random thread" , posted Sat 23 Jan 05:25post reply

quote:

I'm amazed they'd go so far as to touch up the sprites, since NGBC has a huge cast with some sizable animation. I guess after KOF12 they don't care about pissing away their money.

NGBC could conceivably make them some money on XBLA, if they play their cards right, so I think that any care taken could be worth it. And I think that prettying up an older game to make it look slightly more modern is much MUCH cheaper to do than an enormous undertaking like KOFXII. I'll certainly buy it to send a good message along to SNKP. There are a whole lot of acronyms in those last few sentences.

I'll probably also buy Sky Stage, assuming it's relatively well made, since my second great game love is the vertical shooter. That doesn't mean I won't joke around about how dorky it is though, because there's nothing I like more than an easy target.

Pollyanna
2832th Post

"Re(6):Latest random thread" , posted Sat 23 Jan 09:27post reply

quote:

Were those animated bits actually good, or were they like the animated bits in SF4? I honestly don't remember.

Because if they were just like the ones in SF4, I wouldn't mind them being changed.

They weren't too hot. I liked them better than the SF4 ones because they were ridiculous, but I would be more annoyed on principle than anything. You're not really missing out.

Since the game is kind of like a sequel for Japan, that might be a contributing factor to the change.

Also, a friend of mine who worked on the project said Hakushon Daimaou was removed due to "racial insensitivity". Don't listen to Capcom's "couldn't get the license" claim.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1282th Post

"Re(7):Latest random thread" , posted Sat 23 Jan 10:56post reply

Whatever reason is fine by me! He offends my eyes. All of him. Glad he's gone.

Speaking of offending eyes... the animated endings and original ending artwork being gone is sad, sure, but the real travesty here is that we have to look at artwork from UDON instead. Why are these clowns so tied up in everything Capcom does in the US? It's gross. They're gross.

Abster
357th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Sat 23 Jan 16:39post reply

quote:

Honestly, the ideas in this thread make me wish that MUGEN had matured some and kept developing. We could be playing a fan-made Advanced Asuka VG120 and tweak it to our liking to make it a super awesome and ignored dojin fighter of the forever.

Actually, Mugen has gone back into development. Elecbyte's working on 1.0 as we speak with 6 release candidates already released.

hikarutilmitt
531th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Sun 24 Jan 01:55post reply

quote:

Actually, Mugen has gone back into development. Elecbyte's working on 1.0 as we speak with 6 release candidates already released.

... wow. Just wow. I honestly never thought we'd get past anything more than the shitty hacks people made of it to try and extend it (and end up making it buggier).

Who wants to join me in a project?

Gojira
2570th Post

"Re(8):Latest random thread" , posted Sun 24 Jan 14:44post reply

quote:
Whatever reason is fine by me! He offends my eyes. All of him. Glad he's gone.

Speaking of offending eyes... the animated endings and original ending artwork being gone is sad, sure, but the real travesty here is that we have to look at artwork from UDON instead. Why are these clowns so tied up in everything Capcom does in the US? It's gross. They're gross.

While I'm puzzled and disappointed by the original stuff getting changed, I don't see what's so gross about the new art.

shipoopi

Pollyanna
2833th Post

"Re(9):Latest random thread" , posted Sun 24 Jan 14:52post reply

quote:

While I'm puzzled and disappointed by the original stuff getting changed, I don't see what's so gross about the new art.

It wouldn't be such a shame if Capcom didn't have so many immensely talented artists working for them. It's not about how much I dislike Udon as how much I like their other artists instead. I feel robbed...of their art.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
466th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):TvC UAS Streaming by EVO team" , posted Sun 24 Jan 15:03:post reply

Or whoever those guys who participate in it

[this message was edited by sfried on Sun 24 Jan 15:04]

Digitalboy
673th Post

"Conan O'brien" , posted Sun 24 Jan 16:38post reply

I just want to say that I disagree with NBC of getting rid of Conan O'brien. I hope that the executives there have some sort of chronic diarrhea problem in the months to come...

And...

Dear Undead Fred and Shingo The One,

Hi, how are you?

Love,
Digitalboy

And I just realized that in Rock Band, those assholes at EA did something good, they have "21st Century Digitalboy" as a downloadable content add-on. Download this song!!!1!one!

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Grave
1284th Post

"Re(9):Latest random thread" , posted Sun 24 Jan 16:42post reply

quote:

I promise you that I'm not nerd raging as hard as this post makes it sound. While I really (really) dislike UDON, I understand how inconsequential this all is in perspective. With that out of the way, the post as it originally tumbled out of my brain:

What Polly said, mostly. I've seen very few products from UDON artists that haven't struck me as crass fanart compared to Capcom art of the past and present. I don't like what they do. My feelings about this didn't turn into full-blown hate until HD Remix though. That shit is disgusting and we're going to have to look at it for years. Can't even make the old sprites display properly. Vile.

Every time I see UDON's artwork get tied up in a product I otherwise might enjoy or used in some official context with Capcom it just seems wrong. It's like hiring some 13 year old girl from fanfiction.net to pen the next Kingdom Hearts game. They might have actually done that. ANYWAY. MOVING ON. Have you even seen the artwork they did to promote MvC2?! Good god, it was laughable. Seeing them work with Capcom is like a pack of deviantArt assholes shitting all over things that I really like. Their stuff has always rubbed me the wrong way and it probably always will.

At least they had the sense not to let them touch the box art or the character art! Shinkiro's work for this game is absolutely fantastic.

Iron D
3364th Post

"Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Sun 24 Jan 18:02post reply

quote:
I promise you that I'm not nerd raging as hard as this post makes it sound. While I really (really) dislike UDON, I understand how inconsequential this all is in perspective. With that out of the way, the post as it originally tumbled out of my brain:

What Polly said, mostly. I've seen very few products from UDON artists that haven't struck me as crass fanart compared to Capcom art of the past and present. I don't like what they do. My feelings about this didn't turn into full-blown hate until HD Remix though. That shit is disgusting and we're going to have to look at it for years. Can't even make the old sprites display properly. Vile.

Every time I see UDON's artwork get tied up in a product I otherwise might enjoy or used in some official context with Capcom it just seems wrong. It's like hiring some 13 year old girl from fanfiction.net to pen the next Kingdom Hearts game. They might have actually done that. ANYWAY. MOVING ON. Have you even seen the artwork they did to promote MvC2?! Good god, it was laughable. Seeing them work with Capcom is like a pack of deviantArt assholes shitting all over things that I really like. Their stuff has always rubbed me the wrong way and it probably always will.

At least they had the sense not to let them touch the box art or the character art! Shinkiro's work for this game is absolutely fantastic.

This sums up my thoughts perfectly, even the bit at the end about Shinkiro. I'm so sick and tired of Udon I could vomit.

I want to see some new stuff by Akiman or Kinu Nishimura.

Er.....

Gojira
2572th Post

"Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Mon 25 Jan 01:52post reply

quote:

It wouldn't be such a shame if Capcom didn't have so many immensely talented artists working for them. It's not about how much I dislike Udon as how much I like their other artists instead. I feel robbed...of their art.

I think they only use their own art in games that they think will sell well. TvC doesn't exactly have an overwhelming track record of success at this point. Factor in an extremely uncertain market for the game outside of Japan and well, you could just be glad there's even anything to feel cheated about.

quote:

To each his own of course, but having seen much better from Udon than HD Remix I can at least avoid balking at the mention of the name.

HD Remix was not going to be impressive whether Udon was involved or not anyway. From the start it was easy (for me, at least) to see how much Capcom themselves were underestimating the entire process. But putting that aside, yes there was some bad stuff in there. The upside is that - even though it was reported as a success - with all the problems they had and money they wasted you'll probably never see something like that again.

I have seen a few cases where Udon produced art that was as good as the original Capcom art, but that's mostly Arnold Tsang's stuff. I think that's probably why Capcom has trusted them to do the job, though they might not be aware that Tsang hasn't been with Udon for years and only does a few odd pieces for them these days like this Juri pinup that IMHO looks way better than her "official" SSF4 art. He also did those SF3-style SF4 sprites you might have seen a few months ago, though at the time nobody knew it was him.

I guess what I'm saying is, screw Udon, Capcom should just get Arnold Tsang working for them.

... was that what this was about? I forget. Oh yeah, Shinkirou's TvC art is impressive. Even though I always liked the style, TvC is probably the least awkward it's ever been. I should stop writing random stuff and go to bed now

shipoopi

Ishmael
3668th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Mon 25 Jan 06:15post reply

Why is the discussion about the endings in TvC turning into a Capcom/Udon debate? Weren't the original endings done by Tatsunoko?

Grave
1285th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Mon 25 Jan 06:51post reply

quote:
Why is the discussion about the endings in TvC turning into a Capcom/Udon debate? Weren't the original endings done by Tatsunoko?

I read it more as a "justify why you hate UDON" sort of affair myself.
quote:
HD Remix was not going to be impressive whether Udon was involved or not anyway. From the start it was easy (for me, at least) to see how much Capcom themselves were underestimating the entire process. But putting that aside, yes there was some bad stuff in there. The upside is that - even though it was reported as a success - with all the problems they had and money they wasted you'll probably never see something like that again.

I have seen a few cases where Udon produced art that was as good as the original Capcom art, but that's mostly Arnold Tsang's stuff. I think that's probably why Capcom has trusted them to do the job, though they might not be aware that Tsang hasn't been with Udon for years and only does a few odd pieces for them these days like this Juri pinup that IMHO looks way better than her "official" SSF4 art. He also did those SF3-style SF4 sprites you might have seen a few months ago, though at the time nobody knew it was him.

I guess what I'm saying is, screw Udon, Capcom should just get Arnold Tsang working for them.

I think you're right about HDR, but the amount of people who defend that eye-searing product is staggering. Nothing about that game looks good! Not the menus, not the HUD, not the backgrounds, not the sprites in stills, DEFINITELY not the animation. It's almost impressive. I hope they don't do it again.

I agree that Arnold Tsang is definitely among the more agreeable of them, but I'm not wacky about his style all the time. His SF Tribute cover is okay and that Juri art is quite nice. He did do some ass-kicking One Piece fanart too, so there's that!

Spoon
1884th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Mon 25 Jan 13:49post reply

quote:

I read it more as a "justify why you hate UDON" sort of affair myself.

I think you're right about HDR, but the amount of people who defend that eye-searing product is staggering. Nothing about that game looks good! Not the menus, not the HUD, not the backgrounds, not the sprites in stills, DEFINITELY not the animation. It's almost impressive. I hope they don't do it again.

I agree that Arnold Tsang is definitely among the more agreeable of them, but I'm not wacky about his style all the time. His SF Tribute cover is okay and that Juri art is quite nice. He did do some ass-kicking One Piece fanart too, so there's that!

I remember a sketch of an SF cover that featured a 3S Makoto that was more man than tomboy.

Loona
292th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(10):Advanced Variable Geo 2 combos" , posted Mon 25 Jan 22:25post reply

quote:

... wow. Just wow. I honestly never thought we'd get past anything more than the shitty hacks people made of it to try and extend it (and end up making it buggier).

Who wants to join me in a project?

You might want to try to get help at the Mugen Guild forum, although it's usually good form to present stuff you've done already before asking help from others, depending on the project you have in mind - a stage, a character, or set of edited sprites, etc..

Toxico
4846th Post

"Re(4):Latest random thread" , posted Tue 26 Jan 04:37post reply

quote:

Cries and woes.

check tab n°3

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Spoon
1886th Post

"Re(5):Latest random thread" , posted Tue 26 Jan 05:04post reply

quote:

Cries and woes.

check tab n°3

The leg hair
The yellow socks
The things I will never forget that are worksafe

Pollyanna
2835th Post

"Re(6):Latest random thread" , posted Tue 26 Jan 12:45post reply

In other TvC woes, if you didn't know, the music has been changed (no Tatsunoko OR Capcom songs, just techno level themes) and the animated opening has been replaced with something...that...animates here and there.

(Oh well, that's what youtube is for?)

I don't know if that's a deal-breaker for anyone, but I thought it might be worth mentioning. Also, the game looks impressively hideous on HDTVs and (judging by the last one) isn't especially great to begin with. You might be wiser investing your $50 in a new pair of jeans?

I suppose the online mode might "save" it, but I think I'll pass. I have better games to play online.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Gojira
2573th Post

"Re(7):Latest random thread" , posted Tue 26 Jan 13:25post reply

I guess I can understand changing the music (it's definitely not meant for average musical tastes), though I was expecting the choice to be some kind of option. Yay for Wii storage capacity.

I'm more and more surprised they left the JP voices in as an option even though they dubbed English ones. Or maybe the next thing we hear will be that only the Capcom characters have JP voices.

shipoopi

Grave
1286th Post

"Re(7):Latest random thread" , posted Tue 26 Jan 13:31post reply

I think I might have exhaled part of my soul with the sigh that I just released. NO CAPCOM MUSIC, EVEN?! Jeez, guys, I know I'm supposed to be all like "yay they brought it over! I should buy twelve copies!" but I have to draw the line somewhere. No Roll theme = no deal. Arrrghhhhh. Maybe the Japanese version of the US version will get it right? Maybe?

The things I've heard about the netplay thus far are hilarious. Oh well.

Maou
1899th Post

"Re(7):Latest random thread" , posted Tue 26 Jan 13:35post reply

quote:
In other TvC woes, if you didn't know, the music has been changed (no Tatsunoko OR Capcom songs,

What is this, 1994? I had no idea that you still had to put up with this kind of nonsense in foreign releases...

Grave
1287th Post

"capcom sucks" , posted Tue 26 Jan 18:19post reply

So the big Xbox surprise was Monster Hunter Frontier. I mean, I guess it makes sense. I don't know how anyone can get excited about paying a $15 a month fee for a console online RPG, but hey, that's just me! I guess I was the only one pulling for a direct sequel to Dino Crisis 2. Sad.

Other uninteresting news:
-Gears of War meatheads appearing in the 360 version of Lost Planet 2! Oh, and LP2 is dated now. May 18. I guess I have another 4 months of playing the demo over and over. Grumble grumble.
-SSF4 is dated and they announced a Japanese collector's edition and there's a new trailer and who gives a fuck because it's the same SFA characters and ST characters and blah blah blah WHERE ARE MAKOTO, DUDLEY AND IBUKI
-something about Dead Rising 2 seriously guys they aren't even trying to make us care about SSF4! Like we didn't already see footage of these characters when they beat us over the head with them in past updates? Who is this trailer supposed to get excited what is this I don't even

Dear Aksys, please announce a date for the consumer version of BBCS so I can stop pretending that SSF4 will matter. Thank you. <3 Grave

Pollyanna
2836th Post

"Re(1):capcom sucks" , posted Tue 26 Jan 19:16post reply

For the record, I have a long-standing grudge with Capcom of America. For years, I could never trust that they wouldn't screw up a release in some way. It could be the smallest thing, but they would find a way to do something to make the US version of all their games inferior. As a result, I would go out of my way to import everything Capcom put out...partially out of spite.

That wrath is mostly unfounded these days, but I do enjoy blaming things on them all the same.

Still, it's not as if Capcom of Japan is innocent, either...:

quote:
So the big Xbox surprise was Monster Hunter Frontier. I mean, I guess it makes sense. I don't know how anyone can get excited about paying a $15 a month fee for a console online RPG, but hey, that's just me! I guess I was the only one pulling for a direct sequel to Dino Crisis 2. Sad.

Beat me to it!

MHF always seemed to be the lame kind of...Monster Hunter stepchild, and it sucks that it still looks so last gen on 360...and you have to pay the ridiculously high hunter's license on top of a Gold membership. Couldn't you download the game for free on PC, too? Not looking cool, Xbox.

On the upside, though...even though the game looks inferior to Tri in so many ways, at least it provides and ongoing, frequently updated MH experience. Tri is awesome, but its time is very short-lived in the big picture.

Here's hoping it catches on/comes out in the US!

quote:
-Gears of War meatheads appearing in the 360 version of Lost Planet 2! Oh, and LP2 is dated now. May 18. I guess I have another 4 months of playing the demo over and over. Grumble grumble.

May 18!? Brutal! I was about to say "well, that's just the Japanese date", but that's May 20th. Rgggh! They released that demo WAYYY too early! The game was scheduled for 2009 not so long ago!

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
468th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Latest random thread" , posted Tue 26 Jan 19:28:post reply

quote:
I don't know if that's a deal-breaker for anyone, but I thought it might be worth mentioning. Also, the game looks impressively hideous on HDTVs and (judging by the last one) isn't especially great to begin with. You might be wiser investing your $50 in a new pair of jeans?

I don't know what's wrong with your setup, but are you using component cables/progressive scan? Turn the sharpness down on your set and remove post-processing, which also contributes to upscaling lag.

I for one am not complaining over the fact that we got Tatsunoko vs. Capcom despite the odds. People are being too nitpicky over the lack of (certain theme) music or the new animated intro. I could understand why they weren't able to add animated endings since they'd have to redo everyones and then add the new characters endings (not to mention the licenses involved with it), and it was only late in the process when they decided to release it in Japan as well.

As for online, I'm glad Capcom was able to create a matchmaking system that didn't rely on friend codes. Matches seem stable so far, but will experiment as more people get online.

tl;dr - Capcom's took a rather huge risk with this game, so I'll show my support of it.

[this message was edited by sfried on Tue 26 Jan 19:36]

Pollyanna
2837th Post

"Re(8):Latest random thread" , posted Tue 26 Jan 20:06post reply

quote:

I don't know what's wrong with your setup, but are you using component cables/progressive scan? Turn the sharpness down on your set and remove post-processing, which also contributes to upscaling lag.

I realize you're only trying to be helpful, but you've asked me several times about the component cable thing. To me, asking if I'm using component cables on an HDTV is like asking me if I brush my teeth with a toothbrush instead of using my finger.

If the Wii looked good in HD, people wouldn't be so excited about playing in 1080p on emulator. For kicks, I ran the emulator through my TV and it looked dramatically better...in my eye at least.

I can't tell you what you think looks acceptable or not, and to be fair, I tend to be really picky about this sort of thing. Rather than me thinking you're blind and you thinking I don't know how to operate my own TV, instead, I'd like it if we both thought that I'm just pickier about something that doesn't mean as much to you.

quote:
Capcom's took a rather huge risk with this game, so I'll show my support of it.

I don't really care what comes to America or not, and I already bought the first game, but when you put it this way, I feel a bit guilty for potentially discouraging buyers. I should be hoping for the success of any 2D(ish) fighter in any market, really.

I'd rather play BlazBlue, but I hope anyone who picks up TvC has a blast with it.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
9051th Post

"Re(7):Latest random thread" , posted Tue 26 Jan 20:11post reply

quote:
the game [...](judging by the last one) isn't especially great to begin with.

I really have to disagree on this. Tatsunoko (at least the original Japanese version) was the most fun I had on a fighting game released... since...
OK, something like "very long ago".
It's fun, it's creative, it's fresh, it's new, and it's as fun as MvC2 but less broken and gives you more control about what you do.

But judging by the sales of the first one, I may very well be the only one thinking that.

Ishmael
3670th Post

"Re(1):capcom sucks" , posted Wed 27 Jan 03:01post reply

quote:
-SSF4 is dated and they announced a Japanese collector's edition and there's a new trailer and who gives a fuck because it's the same SFA characters and ST characters and blah blah blah WHERE ARE MAKOTO, DUDLEY AND IBUKI

The throwaway gag of Cody punching his way through a brick wall SF1-style made my day.

Grave
1289th Post

"Re(8):Latest random thread" , posted Wed 27 Jan 06:23:post reply

quote:
tl;dr - Capcom's took a rather huge risk with this game, so I'll show my support of it.

I don't know, ideally I want to support everyone's fighting games. Of course, when they come out and I find out what's wrong it's another story. Sorry KOF XII. I just couldn't do it.

Anyway, I think I can afford to be a little bit nitpicky when a company is asking me to buy my second copy of a game. If the Japanese version of the updated TvC has remedied at least some of the problems that I have with the US version, well, if I buy it again I'm sure not buying the US release. I hope it's a success for Capcom, I really do, but I don't feel that I'm obligated to pick it up because they took a chance on a title that will most likely not do so hot.

edit: Has anyone heard about the status of the music in the Japanese version? It did come out at the same time, I think.

[this message was edited by Grave on Wed 27 Jan 06:25]

sfried
469th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Latest random thread" , posted Wed 27 Jan 09:52:post reply

quote:
Anyway, I think I can afford to be a little bit nitpicky when a company is asking me to buy my second copy of a game. If the Japanese version of the updated TvC has remedied at least some of the problems that I have with the US version, well, if I buy it again I'm sure not buying the US release. I hope it's a success for Capcom, I really do, but I don't feel that I'm obligated to pick it up because they took a chance on a title that will most likely not do so hot.
Considering this is my first and probably only copy of the game, I don't see why we should assume everyone here is an expert game importer. I usually wait until a game is translated/localized, not necessarily because I want the publisher to know there's demand in this region, but because buying the local copy tends to be cheaper than importing overall. This is the same reason I held out on importing a PC-E considering Rondo of Blood has gotten/is getting several translated rereleases (Dracula X Chronicles, Virtual Console) at a much cheaper price.

There's also the case of bugfixes, which in this case the international editions tend to receive since their release from their native land (unless Vic Ireland is handling the localization :wink: ).

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 27 Jan 09:56]

Amakusa
835th Post

"Re(8):Latest random thread" , posted Wed 27 Jan 15:27post reply

quote:
I guess I can understand changing the music (it's definitely not meant for average musical tastes), though I was expecting the choice to be some kind of option. Yay for Wii storage capacity.

It has nothing to do with the storage capacity; it has to do with licensing.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Toxico
4847th Post

"Re(9):Latest random thread" , posted Wed 27 Jan 15:37post reply

quote:

Not really, this is obviously one of those artistic choices that make no sense from an art view point whatsoever (this happens more often than it should).

Also, it's an easy way to conceive a different ambient from the previous game, along with whatever else they are changing for this one.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Pollyanna
2838th Post

"Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Wed 27 Jan 19:04post reply

Correction:

The original opening to TvC is included, you just have to unlock it. Also, I believe a few Tatsunoko songs are included in the endings, so it is indeed as Toxico said.

So as for the soundtrack... Wii storage is not that pathetic, and Capcom grossly exaggerated their licensing issues.

quote:
it's as fun as MvC2 but less broken and gives you more control about what you do.

This much at least I can agree with. I liked the sense of originality that so many of the characters had, but I failed to see it realized in the game itself. After a while, so many cleverly-designed moves just seemed useless and most of the characters started to feel the same.

This could be my failure to grasp the game as much as its own shortcomings, though. Do you have any videos of how the game is "supposed to be played" that might change my opinion?

If the game was not a vs-style game and looked slightly better on a different console, I might like it quite a bit. As is, it has too many (personal) strikes against it.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1289th Post

"Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Wed 27 Jan 19:10post reply

quote:
Considering this is my first and probably only copy of the game, I don't see why we should assume everyone here is an expert game importer.

Are we not export importers? Is this not what we do? Perhaps we're slacking in our old age. I was pretty sure we used to be...!

When a game seems to be lacking in chances to come out in the US and I can play the Japanese version without problems, it gets imported. TvC fit the bill! Then: this happened.

Perhaps someone in the Wii hacking scene will be able to return the music situation to one I find favorable! I mean, hell, we already have a translation hack for Fatal Frame 4 out there. This should be cake comparatively. I know I'd miss the "NO, IT'S GONNA PLAY MY MUSIC DAMMIT!" battles. Those were good times.

Iggy
9052th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Wed 27 Jan 19:46post reply

quote:
This could be my failure to grasp the game as much as its own shortcomings, though. Do you have any videos of how the game is "supposed to be played" that might change my opinion?

OK, I think we stand on too different grounds to agree on this.
I have a completely relaxed feeling about the game, I am definitely not delving into it (I barely do any baroque combo, for example). I enjoyed it as a game that didn't require me to learn many systems and strings of combos (well, mostly because I was used to MvC, though. The game would probably have felt completely obscure if I had just been playing street fighter).

But I think you are at a much higher level of play than I am. I still think GGXX and BlazBlue are too complicated for me; they do seem interesting, especially BB, but I would have the feeling of missing completely the point if I didn't spent one full week understanding and mastering each and every system. The games just aren't fun if you just fool around doing basic stuff.
TvC, on the other hand, is certainly less deep and varied than BB. But it's also more fun as a game that you would just pick up for an evening with friends who have a basic understanding of fighting games. Or even to play to occupy a boring evening while waiting for someone or something.

I did study Bayonetta. But I found out I just don't feel like studying a fighting game anymore, at least not a modern one.
So, yeah, there it is. Maybe TvC is not a modern fighting game. Thank god!

Pollyanna
2839th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 05:35post reply

quote:

OK, I think we stand on too different grounds to agree on this.
I have a completely relaxed feeling about the game, I am definitely not delving into it (I barely do any baroque combo, for example). I enjoyed it as a game that didn't require me to learn many systems and strings of combos (well, mostly because I was used to MvC, though. The game would probably have felt completely obscure if I had just been playing street fighter).

But I think you are at a much higher level of play than I am. I still think GGXX and BlazBlue are too complicated for me; they do seem interesting, especially BB, but I would have the feeling of missing completely the point if I didn't spent one full week understanding and mastering each and every system. The games just aren't fun if you just fool around doing basic stuff.
TvC, on the other hand, is certainly less deep and varied than BB. But it's also more fun as a game that you would just pick up for an evening with friends who have a basic understanding of fighting games. Or even to play to occupy a boring evening while waiting for someone or something.

I did study Bayonetta. But I found out I just don't feel like studying a fighting game anymore, at least not a modern one.
So, yeah, there it is. Maybe TvC is not a modern fighting game. Thank god!

Ah, okay. That makes sense. I don't want to give the impression that I'm super awesome at fighting games, though...I'm just an enthusiast.

Playing online has made me aware that my type is not the norm. Most players are either so bad it's hilarious or so good it's insane. I find it difficult to find players that are decent, but not incredible.

I have a tough time with games that require you to learn too much as well. I've played Guilty Gear enthusiastically since the first game, but I still don't "know" how to play. Everything in Tekken is so complicated, counterintuitive and requires so much memorization that I have to spend an hour in training for every week I take off from the game.

I don't think BlazBlue is so bad, though. There is an initial hill to climb where you become familiar with your character (they're all so specifically useful), but after that, it's fairly easy to get into for something so complicated. Although I still can't comprehend what people are doing in high-level Guilty Gear tournaments, the contestants in BlazBlue tournaments do the same thing I do, only better.

I have trouble getting my friends into fighting games because they require so much out of you. Even TvC was unpopular because "it has scary combos and I don't know what's going on". TvC is a great fighter for casual players who fondly remember playing MvC "back in the day", but I wonder if a universally accessible decent fighting game is really possible.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

hikarutilmitt
532th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 06:34post reply

quote:
I don't think BlazBlue is so bad, though. There is an initial hill to climb where you become familiar with your character (they're all so specifically useful), but after that, it's fairly easy to get into for something so complicated. Although I still can't comprehend what people are doing in high-level Guilty Gear tournaments, the contestants in BlazBlue tournaments do the same thing I do, only better.

Honestly, speaking as a GG fan, I found BB to be much easier to get into for newer players specifically because they dialed down so much of the ridiculous shit GG had going on in it. They simplified the cancel system to only having a single type (so just Rapid Cancel which is essentially Roman Cancel, but there's no false version to worry about trying to hit), the gauges are many but not hard to keep track of and the game is just more FUN, to me. It has a better input buffer to utilize and in general it's just a lot less strenuous to play.

I wish there were a demo version you could try out, Iggy, because you might be able to like it if given the chance.

Polly: I think some time we may need to schedule a time to play online. My Litchi needs an itch scratched ever since I went to Austin to play Continuum Shift and wasn't able to due to a lack of dollar coins.

Gojira
2574th Post

"Re(9):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 07:11post reply

quote:

As Toxico said, it's not the licensing. Capcom owns its own music after all, and the idea that they could license the characters but not the music is plain ludicrous.

Also yes, Wii games have average DVD storage capacity, about 4.7 GB. Which you might THINK is enough, but 1) quality sound can take up a lot of space, 2) they're already using twice as much audio for the voice samples in TvC, and 3) Wii optical discs are a proprietary Nintendo media with their own kind of audio formatting. So maybe they could handle a lot of music, but also maybe not.

So while I do agree that the new soundtrack is a creative choice, the exclusion of the old soundtrack may not have been.

shipoopi

Iron D
3365th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 07:49post reply

quote:

TvC is a great fighter for casual players who fondly remember playing MvC "back in the day", but I wonder if a universally accessible decent fighting game is really possible.

You know, I consider fighting games to be my favorite genre of videogame, but this is a thought that has come to me quite often recently (especially with all this talk of fighting games that are "easy to jump into").

I will say right now without hesitation that I believe that SFIV fits that bill pretty easily, with it not having any overly complicated systems to get used to and SF gameplay that should be familiar to every fighting game player out there. However, I know there are those on this board who don't like the game.

As for traditional 3d fighting games, I don't think their systems are overly complicated, but their move lists sure the hell are. I'm a huge fan of both Tekken and Soul Calibur, but at this point Tekken has over 40 characters and each has OVER 100 moves (with some having over 200). It's at the point where I have to go into training mode EVERY time I am playing a different character.

Playing online has made me aware that my type is not the norm. Most players are either so bad it's hilarious or so good it's insane. I find it difficult to find players that are decent, but not incredible.

Well, I must be garbage at Tekken then, considering the ass-whooping you gave me the other week.

Er.....

Spoon
1888th Post

"Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 09:57post reply

quote:

Also yes, Wii games have average DVD storage capacity, about 4.7 GB.

Not entirely true; it does support dual layer format. In fact, Brawl required you to install a firmware update so that the Wii drive could use it.

Grave
1290th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 11:42post reply

Sigh. I really do want to get the US TvC, even if the changes they've made piss me off. But since I barely hook the Wii up at all these days I don't know if it'd be worth it. I don't know what to do! Maybe I'll just buy Bayonetta. That sounds smarter.

quote:

I think TvC strikes a good balance. I guess it's about as stripped down as a vs.-type game can be while retaining everything that makes it fun. It's visually quite exciting and the controls are simple enough for beginners to grasp. The characters may be unfamiliar to many but there are a lot of very appealing designs and different playstyles. I always hesitate to compare it to something like Smash Bros, which I think is fun but doesn't appeal to me in the same way that a traditional fighting game does at all. But it does have an SB-like appeal in that its presentation and gameplay seems nonthreatening to people who aren't hardcore fighting game fans. I hope it's successful in the world! Mostly because I'd like to see it on the HD consoles. Maybe I'll dust off the Wii and see if I can rent the US version the next time friends are coming by. This is not helping my willpower. Grarrghh.

quote:

I don't know that I agree. Most of the randoms I've played in BB seem to fall in the mid-range with me. There are certainly beasts that show up from time to time and certainly people who are just hopeless at the game, but in my experience they represent a smaller number of players. Hmm! It is a mystery.

quote:
I have a tough time with games that require you to learn too much as well. I've played Guilty Gear enthusiastically since the first game, but I still don't "know" how to play. Everything in Tekken is so complicated, counterintuitive and requires so much memorization that I have to spend an hour in training for every week I take off from the game.

Agreed all around, really. BB is a lot friendlier than GG (and a whole lot moreso than Tekken!), and I think the fact that it's young has a lot to do with that. The roster is small and very manageable to not only learn your favorite characters, but all the others and what they're capable of which is key to getting better at any fighting game. The input timing is pretty forgiving and the whole thing seems far more accessible. That seems to drive GG fans into an uncontrollable rage. I enjoy it because it means lots of friends get into the game and get more out of it!

Also I guess with CT being the first installment the systems don't have a lot of time to get overcomplicated. I've been playing GG since a friend picked up the ugly-ass PS1 game on a whim when we were kids and I guess the changes made through GGX, XX, #R / and AC make more sense when you're there at every step along the way... but that doesn't mean I'm good at any of them! The GGXX games have scared off lots of my friends, but several later came around because of BB, believe it or not. I honestly don't know if I'd rather play BB or GG these days, maybe they could port AC+ to PS3 with BB's netcode and we could find out.

But then again I have a lot of casual fighter fan friends who adore GG and we had great times playing those games together. Hmm! It is a mystery.

quote:
I will say right now without hesitation that I believe that SFIV fits that bill pretty easily, with it not having any overly complicated systems to get used to and SF gameplay that should be familiar to every fighting game player out there. However, I know there are those on this board who don't like the game.

The focus system is pretty dumb, FADC is a clunky and unintuitive mechanic. The only things SF4 really has working in favor of newbies:
1. Characters that even your parents know
2. Free Ultra moves for getting your ass beaten
Everyone fell for the "it's easy for beginners to pick up! not like that evil SF3!" hype and it sucks because it's not entirely true. I have to believe that a casual fighting game fan with casual fighting game fan friends will get a lot more mileage out of TvC.

Also I heard that Yoshinori Ono is a coprophiliac

Pollyanna
2840th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 12:12post reply

Don't tell me there's a storage issue with TvC. That's ridiculous. The Arc Rise soundtrack had 71 tracks, the game was fully voiced with probably more than 20 hours of spoken dialogue and it had at least as much FMV with many more and (most likely) higher-poly renders than TvC.

quote:

Well, I must be garbage at Tekken then, considering the ass-whooping you gave me the other week.

You used a lot of characters and your skill between characters varied dramatically. I may have been better across the board, but your best vs my best was pretty even.

I'd say we're both mediocre? Hahaha...

On the subject of SF4

I think really getting into it is difficult. It's not user friendly if you want to play "correctly". However, I do think that low-level players can play other low-level players and have a great time. As can mid-level players and high-level players, as long as their skill levels are roughly the same.

I agree with Grave in that it's "easy to pick up"-ness is overrated in comparison to SF3. Sure, a SF3 rookie who can't parry would get creamed by someone who could, but a beginner in SFIV would get beat just as badly.

On a somewhat related note, I had hell with all of SF4's buttons and button combinations on a PS3 pad. I'm SO glad I have an arcade stick now. I can't wait for Super.

On the subject of BlazBlue

I'm looking forward to playing with everyone again somedayyyyy!

Maybe I should try to go back and play GG with a joystick now that I have one. I might be able to do better this time around. I certainly love the series. I'd love to see an HD reboot with a (mostly) new cast and a slightly simplified system. BlazBlue is a great model for "complex, but manageable."

Speaking of which, I think the forgiving input timing in BB is something that more fighters should adopt. It allows for players to do just about anything without hitting a huge, frustrating wall (hello, SF3!). There's no reason to "withhold" the ability to perform techniques and combos from less-skilled players other than to perpetuate the elitist fighting game monarchy that I can only imagine has contributed to the genre's downfall. I don't see any advantage to excessively strict timing.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1900th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 12:28post reply

quote:
. It allows for players to do just about anything without hitting a huge, frustrating wall (hello, SF3!).

Ahah! Friends and I played SF Zero 2 and 3 like it was our job but never got around to 3S until the PS2 edition came out. We were never sloppy to begin with, but I could never shake the feeling, after all those Zero hours, that 3S was being a bit of a pain in the ass with its inputs...

Iron D
3366th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 12:54post reply

quote:
The focus system is pretty dumb, FADC is a clunky and unintuitive mechanic. The only things SF4 really has working in favor of newbies:
1. Characters that even your parents know
2. Free Ultra moves for getting your ass beaten
Everyone fell for the "it's easy for beginners to pick up! not like that evil SF3!" hype and it sucks because it's not entirely true. I have to believe that a casual fighting game fan with casual fighting game fan friends will get a lot more mileage out of TvC.

Well again, I realize that not everyone will like the focus system, but then again there are those that hate the parry system, those that hated Alpha Counters and even those that hate there being supers at all. And I'm willing to believe that TvC is easier to pick up and play, but I couldn't say from experience since I have yet to play TvC at all.

The focus system is just like the rest of SF4: easy to pick up and use from the beginning, but more complex than is immediately evident.

quote:
I think really getting into it is difficult. It's not user friendly if you want to play "correctly". However, I do think that low-level players can play other low-level players and have a great time. As can mid-level players and high-level players, as long as their skill levels are roughly the same.

I agree with Grave in that it's "easy to pick up"-ness is overrated in comparison to SF3. Sure, a SF3 rookie who can't parry would get creamed by someone who could, but a beginner in SFIV would get beat just as badly.

Agreed on the first paragraph. But on the second paragraph...well, since we're talking about the strictness of input timing, SF3's was waaaay tighter than SF4's. In fact, SF4 is the first SF where I can regularly pull off a crouching forward to Shoryuken. That's perhaps the foremost reason I'd say SF4 is at least somewhat easier to get into than SF3.

quote:

On a somewhat related note, I had hell with all of SF4's buttons and button combinations on a PS3 pad. I'm SO glad I have an arcade stick now. I can't wait for Super.

Wait...what!?!

Er.....

Maou
1902th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 12:58:post reply

quote:
Wait...what!?!

Hmm? I think she meant the fact that the PS3 pad is just like the PS2 pad, but crappy. The trigger buttons range from awful to unusuable, depending on my mood, and we did all right with the PS2 pads before getting the Saturn pads. This is the worst generation of controllers ever.

...oops, or did you mean the part about being excited about SSFIV? I could see being "excited." More so than IV, anyway, for what it's worth.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 28 Jan 12:59]

Grave
1291th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 13:18post reply

quote:
Wait...what!?!

It's a disease. I have it too. I didn't like SF4 but I have the misguided, sick belief that two new characters, a few more SFA characters and some SF3 ones they want to pretend don't exist to fuck with our heads will magically make me like this game.

Well, I mean, lobbies will guarantee more fun at the very least. I like to talk to lots of people while I play my fighting games.

Pollyanna
2841th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 13:22post reply

quote:

Agreed on the first paragraph. But on the second paragraph...well, since we're talking about the strictness of input timing, SF3's was waaaay tighter than SF4's. In fact, SF4 is the first SF where I can regularly pull off a crouching forward to Shoryuken. That's perhaps the foremost reason I'd say SF4 is at least somewhat easier to get into than SF3.

I was talking more about advanced sort of things. Like some of the moves in the high level training combos in SF4 that require such precise timing. SF3 had a lot of stuff like that as well.

I haven't played SF3 or SF4 in ages, let alone one after the next to compare the two. I'll have to take your word for it. I certainly don't think SF4 was worse, but I found some of the upper level tactics in both games to be needlessly inaccessible.

quote:
Hmm? I think she meant the fact that the PS3 pad is just like the PS2 pad, but crappy. The trigger buttons range from awful to unusuable, depending on my mood, and we did all right with the PS2 pads before getting the Saturn pads. This is the worst generation of controllers ever.

...oops, or did you mean the part about being excited about SSFIV? I could see being "excited." More so than IV, anyway, for what it's worth.

This is all true. Those trigger buttons are terrible and although the pad isn't unbearable it's been downgraded from the PS2's "satisfactory" to (at least) "slightly unsatisfactory".

In the context, I was saying that I'm excited about using an arcade stick on SSF4 for reduced controller frustrations.

But I am excited about the game in general, too. I think SF4 is ugly and it doesn't really agree with my preferred fighting game sensibilities, but I love fighting games and I'm happy whenever a new one comes out. I spent a lot of time with SF4, and although that time was freckled with frustration and disappointment, I can't say I didn't enjoy myself immensely. I'm sure I'll enjoy SSF4 just as much, and that's good enough for me.

I'm not nuts about TvC either, but I had my good time with it all the same.

One thing I REALLY hope they keep in SSF4 is the "play a random song while you're waiting for an online match". That was the best idea in that whole game. Having only one "waiting for a match" song is insanely short-sighted.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1903th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 13:44:post reply

quote:
One thing I REALLY hope they keep in SSF4 is the "play a random song while you're waiting for an online match". That was the best idea in that whole game. Having only one "waiting for a match" song is insanely short-sighted.

The hilarious thing is that this is almost 50/50 for being left out since it's EXACTLY the kind of subtly excellent thing that designers have long since become incapable of noticing ever existed. Sorta like how Namco "forgot" (actually, I think maybe they really did forget) after, oh, say, Tekken 3 or so, that having your own inputs as well as the correct inputs display on screen in practice mode was huge, or how they somehow didn't notice after Soul Calibur 2 that something as tiny as having win/loss records available for every charcter in Versus had been awesome.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 28 Jan 13:45]

Spoon
1889th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 28 Jan 14:30post reply

quote:
. It allows for players to do just about anything without hitting a huge, frustrating wall (hello, SF3!).
Ahah! Friends and I played SF Zero 2 and 3 like it was our job but never got around to 3S until the PS2 edition came out. We were never sloppy to begin with, but I could never shake the feeling, after all those Zero hours, that 3S was being a bit of a pain in the ass with its inputs...

One of the things about 3S's design that is a bit odd is that there is an absence of general link combos for a lot of characters. In ST or SF2, if you crouched and pressed MP twice, it usually looks like it ought to combo and it does. In 3S, Ryu has almost no link combos outside of his EX mule kick or links into super (which are pretty obscure to the newcomer).

Combo-heavy games in my opinion exaggerate the skill gap between beginners and the rest because beginners require many more opportunities to deal dmg or mistakes from their opponent to win, while their defeat is usually only a combo and a half away. HnK and F/UC are good examples of a game that can be really fun and funny at a higher level of play, but are utterly frustrating to beginners against higher level opponents (even just slightly higher).

Input systems are an interesting deal in fighting games because how input is handled directly results in interesting edge cases. Cross-ups make reversals difficult because they can either strip you of your charge (think E.Honda) or make it difficult for you to properly input your DP. I'm not sure that I'd like to see that removed. Many doujin games have adopted the Asuka 120% "DP" motion of "d,d": it's not only incredibly quick, but it means that executing it properly is just a matter of timing it right so that your character doesn't DP in the wrong direction (which can still happen when trying to counter a cross-up).

Iggy
9053th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 29 Jan 00:08post reply

quote:

TvC is a great fighter for casual players who fondly remember playing MvC "back in the day", but I wonder if a universally accessible decent fighting game is really possible.

Smash Bros?
quote:
It's a disease. I have it too. I didn't like SF4 but I have the misguided, sick belief that two new characters, a few more SFA characters and some SF3 ones they want to pretend don't exist to fuck with our heads will magically make me like this game.

I have it too... Against all reason.
But you forgot the awesome Savannah stage. For me, that alone is 50% of the appeal of the game. The rest is equally filled with "less horrible music", "less sloppy pace" and "characters I may like".

karasu99
279th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 29 Jan 02:10post reply

quote:

I have it too... Against all reason.
But you forgot the awesome Savannah stage. For me, that alone is 50% of the appeal of the game. The rest is equally filled with "less horrible music", "less sloppy pace" and "characters I may like".

I'm having the same reaction-- it's fairly sad that a feeling of "I don't mind the taste" can be enough to make me look forward to a game, but it's the case here, for me at least. It's too bad that SFIV had to be released at all instead of this game-- it's interesting to think if SuperSFIV would have looked as good if not compared to the first game.

Still, I can take comfort in the fact that Capcom will be trying to wring a full game's price out of SSFIV by offering a Collector's Pack that packs in the OST and an assuredly goofy video featuring Juri.

Count Hihihi
213th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 29 Jan 06:03post reply

Great news! SNKP has THREE games at this years SBO!

Pollyanna
2842th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 29 Jan 06:42post reply

quote:
Great news! SNKP has THREE games at this years SBO!

SNK not only makes my favorite SNK fighting games, they make my favorite Capcom and Arc Systems ones.

Surprises:
People are still playing Basara X.
KOF2002UM is balanced enough to be in a tournament?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Toxico
4850th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 29 Jan 07:04:post reply

quote:

Surprises:
People are still playing Basara X.

KOF2002UM is balanced enough to be in a tournament?

Aside from some freeze over bugs, the game is just a little more broken and more fun than '02 ('02 was on this at some point, right?). Then again, the presence of Basara there can easily shun any kind of 'balance' discussion.

On a side note it seems that the sky stage official page is going to update with early bosses profiles.

I'm also surprised to see comments against the ps3 pad. Most of the sony dual shocks that I could buy over here are incredibly sturdy, and take months of usage to soften up and get what you want from them. Comparing to that, the ps3 pads are already soft, nimble and light that there is absolutely no contest between them quality wise.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 29 Jan 07:09]

kofoguz
815th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 29 Jan 07:44post reply

quote:
On a side note it seems that the sky stage official page is going to update with early bosses profiles.
I wonder how is Sky Stage doing in the arcades. What's the reaction?

Iggy
9054th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 29 Jan 08:29post reply

quote:
Aside from some freeze over bugs, the game is just a little more broken and more fun than '02 ('02 was on this at some point, right?).

I think the arcade version og 02UM fixed some balance issues (and the boss are not playable there). If I recall correctly, the game had a very large pool of S and A tiers characters, and the only really hopeless one was Chang. I think people in the thread were really happy with the arcade version... But then, they were probably already convinced before even playing the game.
quote:
Then again, the presence of Basara there can easily shun any kind of 'balance' discussion.

Basara X is like Hokuto no Ken: the champion will not be the one who will have mastered the most deadly technique, but the one that will have discovered the most laughable bugs.
I think they should determine the winner not according to who won the match, but with a jury system that would vote on who raped the intended system with the most blatant irony.

Spoon
1890th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 29 Jan 09:31post reply

quote:
02UM

02UM or RTR is a game made to replace 2002.
2002 is very popular.
2002UM adds new stuff to a game that people already really like without utterly mangling it. Well, aside from that fact that somehow Kasumi has become a top-tier character.

You will inevitably see masses of Nameless and K'. King is somehow quite good in that game as well, but she is so frighteningly boring to watch in comparison to other characters...

How much you enjoy watching 02UM matches in general (gimmicks aside, like Seth pretending that he's a smash bros. character or Ramon run cancelling for a gazillion low kicks) is a function of how much you enjoy watching hitconfirm -> custom combo.

quote:

Then again, the presence of Basara there can easily shun any kind of 'balance' discussion.
Basara X is like Hokuto no Ken: the champion will not be the one who will have mastered the most deadly technique, but the one that will have discovered the most laughable bugs.
I think they should determine the winner not according to who won the match, but with a jury system that would vote on who raped the intended system with the most blatant irony.

See, this isn't totally true: HnK has two REALLY BAD bugs, being the Rei infinite DP and Shin becoming invincible (which, Shin being Shin, is hilarious), but HnK's bounce combos and extra star glitches and blah blah blah have actually manage to balance itself out. Having an infinite combo doesn't really mean anything if you can't land it, and even less so when everybody has one (or more!). The HnK videos from the TRF tournaments on nicovideo are some of the most entertaining match videos around.

Personally, I hope that every year at least one game is on the list that has preposterous combo damage; a "silly" game by the standards of the other games, but one that is far out there and provides crowd-pleasing combos and ridiculous comebacks.

sfried
469th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 29 Jan 14:05post reply

Speaking about input timing, is this more predominant in older games? Along with TvC, I've been trying to get into fighting games recently with the Orochi Saga, and noticed that getting "Wicked Chew" () to "Masticate" () requires a certain kind of ryhthm to execute properly, especially with "Wicked Chew" to "Oxidation" (). I'd have to say it is rather tricky to get down, and the payoff for mastering its execution is...quite low in the bigger picture of things (especially when it is damage that counts overall).

That said, I'm glad there are people who make videos like these to help explain some of the basic principles that is otherwise not made clear in the game (hyper jumping/hyper hopping).

This thread has become an interesting read on "system transparency" and how rulesets don't necessarily need to be complicated in order to be complex. I also think that giving the player too many options for an offence (a character with way to many specials, keeping up with different guages, various combo strings) also does scare off many newcomers since it does present a problem of making them look for proper situations with which to use each. Likewise, SFIV (or most SFs for that matter) manage to do a good job of balancing the number of specials vs. opportunities of attack vs. combo links rather well to keep the barrier low.

I think this is the reason why, that despite my yearn to learn more about KoF, I still feel utterly confused and useless unless someone teaches me more of the fundamentals. I see a ton of moves on Kyo alone and there are some I can hardly figure which fits into "place" for a specific senarios (such as ).

Toxico
4850th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 29 Jan 17:37post reply

the mysterious count down reached zero at some point where I wasn't really caring

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 21 as of 29/01/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

Count Hihihi
214th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 29 Jan 17:59post reply

quote:

02UM

To answer the question about the game being tournament worthy: Maybe.

Lot's of K's indeed!

Oh, and my opinion about the game: GOTY

Pollyanna
2844th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 29 Jan 19:37post reply

This makes me wanna play 02UM (or Basara X?) again. I think I've done everything I can do with KOF12, after all.

quote:
Speaking about input timing, is this more predominant in older games?

I feel like I've said this before (so, sorry if I'm repeating myself), but SNK has an awful history on home port controls. With the exception of Shen's add-ons in KOF12, I have never had a problem doing anything on an SNK game in the arcade. I have nightmares about trying to do even the simplest of things on their older ports. That might be a contributing factor.

A random anecdote:
My worst SNK home port experience involved the PS version of KOF98, which thankfully I did not purchase, but had the misfortune of playing once. The gentleman who owned the game wanted to show everyone how great he was at KOF and promised to "go easy on me" or it "wouldn't be fair."

I suspect he was better than me anyway, but I found the controls so horrifically disagreeable that the world will never know for sure. As I failed to do one QCF motion after another, he kindly lectured me on the simplest and most obvious things as if I hadn't been playing fighting games since 3rd grade.

It was like "let the big boys play KOF. You can go play with your dollies."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Tai-Pan
414th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Sat 30 Jan 00:35post reply

quote:

I feel like I've said this before (so, sorry if I'm repeating myself), but SNK has an awful history on home port controls.

AOF on the SNES made me cry so many times, but I loved it anyway.
Learning how to play KOF98 on the PS and it's pad rendered me useless at playing with Arcade sticks...My hands never recovered..Should I sue SNK?
But seriously, I think that for many years SNK didn't know at all how to deal with console's controller input timing and programing.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

karasu99
281th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Sat 30 Jan 02:32post reply

quote:

AOF on the SNES made me cry so many times, but I loved it anyway.
Learning how to play KOF98 on the PS and it's pad rendered me useless at playing with Arcade sticks...My hands never recovered..Should I sue SNK?
But seriously, I think that for many years SNK didn't know at all how to deal with console's controller input timing and programing.

I think, though, that eventually you can train yourself to work with almost any game's horrible controls. The first Garou, for example, had miserably done controls (which I should examine on the Battle Archive version, now that I think of it) which were made worse by the ridiculous state of the hardware at the laundromat/arcade where I first played it. But somehow my roommate and I managed to garner enough skill to perform most of the specials. Somehow.

I don't think going backward from that point works as well though-- perhaps that accounts for the 'KOF home port problem' described above, which I'm familiar with.

As for the PS/PS2/PS3 controllers... they're no Dreamcast controllers, that's for sure, but I've had a reasonable time using them over the years. I wish though that someone would produce some hybrid between small, wireless controls and huge, arcade-perfect stick controls. So, medium size, clicky stick, but fairly handheld and wireless. Oh, and it would be nice if it cost between $60 and $100 rather than between $150 and $250, but was still somehow made by someone other than MadCatz.

Ishmael
3673th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Sat 30 Jan 03:43post reply

quote:
the mysterious count down reached zero at some point where I wasn't really caring

Is that FMV I see? Betweeen that teaser and the Dead Rising "movie" video games are going for a vein of nostalgia I never thought they would mine.

Grave
1293th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Sat 30 Jan 07:07post reply

quote:
As for the PS/PS2/PS3 controllers... they're no Dreamcast controllers, that's for sure, but I've had a reasonable time using them over the years. I wish though that someone would produce some hybrid between small, wireless controls and huge, arcade-perfect stick controls. So, medium size, clicky stick, but fairly handheld and wireless. Oh, and it would be nice if it cost between $60 and $100 rather than between $150 and $250, but was still somehow made by someone other than MadCatz.

It kills me that we'll never know how the Mad Catz PS3 and 360 pads would have been if they included the NGCD/NGP-style thumbstick instead of mediocre d-pads. I'm okay with the PS3 controller, it's not ideal by any stretch of the imagination but it does what I need it to. I refuse to buy fighters on 360 until I get a controller with a good d-pad and I'm not buying a stick for it since all my fighting games are on PS3. This is a bad cycle! I hope the Razer Onza d-pad doesn't suck so I can buy one of those and stand to play fighting games with 360 friends as well.

Badoor
105th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Sat 30 Jan 20:37post reply

quote:

The trailer looks really cool as it was done by LOGAN who did the MGS4 PMC "commercials". Strangely, the armor suit soldier reminds me of a male version of Vanessa from P.N.03. And given that Mikami's last sci fi games were P.N.03 and Dino Crisis 3 I'm a tiny bit more concerned now.

sfried
471th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Sun 31 Jan 00:53post reply

quote:
The trailer looks really cool as it was done by LOGAN who did the MGS4 PMC "commercials". Strangely, the armor suit soldier reminds me of a male version of Vanessa from P.N.03. And given that Mikami's last sci fi games were P.N.03 and Dino Crisis 3 I'm a tiny bit more concerned now.

Too bad P.N.03 is rather unloved. Shame, because I thought they were attempting a sort of on-foot shmup.

Badoor
106th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Sun 31 Jan 05:52post reply

quote:
Too bad P.N.03 is rather unloved. Shame, because I thought they were attempting a sort of on-foot shmup.

Is P.N. 03 any good? I haven't actually played it and I'm just judging from the mainstream reviews at the time which could have been criticizing it because it doesn't control like halo. Even RE4 did get some similar criticism but was mostly forgiven since it is a long series and that its a survivor horror game.

sfried
472th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Sun 31 Jan 15:34post reply

quote:
Is P.N. 03 any good? I haven't actually played it and I'm just judging from the mainstream reviews at the time which could have been criticizing it because it doesn't control like halo. Even RE4 did get some similar criticism but was mostly forgiven since it is a long series and that its a survivor horror game.

I think it's best to play it firsthand. Yes, it has similar RE4 "tanklike" controlls with a forwardfacing sidestep added, some auto targeting, and, um...dance moves. Depth mainly came from defeating as many enememies as fast as you could before the combo timer runs out, but other than that, the points are mostly used to buy items. Very simplistic in that regard.

The original concept showed Vanessa carrying a gun and shooting stuff in a similar fashion. I'm not quite sure what Mikami was aiming for in this project. Perhaps Vanguard is his answer to a refined P.N.03.

Ishmael
3675th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Mon 1 Feb 06:15post reply

quote:
I think it's best to play it firsthand. Yes, it has similar RE4 "tanklike" controlls with a forwardfacing sidestep added, some auto targeting, and, um...dance moves. Depth mainly came from defeating as many enememies as fast as you could before the combo timer runs out, but other than that, the points are mostly used to buy items. Very simplistic in that regard.

The original concept showed Vanessa carrying a gun and shooting stuff in a similar fashion. I'm not quite sure what Mikami was aiming for in this project. Perhaps Vanguard is his answer to a refined P.N.03.

What I remember most about P.N.03 was the grid system it was based around. I haven't seen a game based around grids so much since Tomb Raider, but with P.N.03 it was an intentional decision rather than lackluster programming. Vanessa didn't so much move as shimmy from one grid to another. There was never any question of where Vanessa was going to end up when she moved once you had a mental map of how big the grids were. This made the game interesting since you were always keeping track of the grids as well as trying to target the enemies in the correct order to keep your combo going. It also drained the game of a bit of tension since the safe and bad areas of the screen were so well delineated.

Take all that and add it to a pulsating soundtrack, a Stanley Kubrick visual aesthetic, and a name that was an unpronounceable mouthful and you have one oddball of a game. Now I almost wish this new game would run with what P.N.03 was doing just to see if they could come up with something that clicked a little better.

Amakusa
837th Post

"Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Tue 2 Feb 13:20:post reply

quote:

As Toxico said, it's not the licensing. Capcom owns its own music after all, and the idea that they could license the characters but not the music is plain ludicrous.

That's not what this guy said

You're making the mistaken assumption this is about the Capcom music when its actually about the Tatsunoko music.

And yes, as stupid as it sounds, the music is licenses separately in things imported overseas. That's why you have stuff like the Scramble City OVA included in the Transformers The Movie DVD as an extra with no audio track.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

[this message was edited by Amakusa on Tue 2 Feb 13:24]

Pollyanna
2845th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Tue 2 Feb 15:37post reply

quote:

And yes, as stupid as it sounds, the music is licenses separately in things imported overseas. That's why you have stuff like the Scramble City OVA included in the Transformers The Movie DVD as an extra with no audio track.

CAN be licensed separately and IS licensed separately are two different things. These issues do come up at times, and it is plausible that some jackass was holding Capcom up on one or two songs and they decided to scrap the entire soundtrack as a result, but that's as much as I'm willing to believe.

The catch here is that I think they're lying about the complex web of licensing. Or rather, fiercely exaggerating. If they really had such an intense sea of rights to swim through, don't you think that would be reflected in the credits?

I was told, from someone involved in the project that Hakushon Daimaou was removed due to "racial insensitivity" and that it was no coincidence that he was the only character that didn't make it. As a result, I'm inclined to disbelieve any call of "licensing issues".

I realize that I'm hard to trust in this matter, especially when it's my word against the PRODUCER OF THE GAME. If I say "I've dealt with Japanese licensors before" or "I know someone who worked on the project" I could be lying, and who could say? But like so many game companies who tell you one thing one week and something completely different the next, I don't believe Capcom on this at all. I'm not faulting them for anything, or calling foul, but I do believe they're being "diplomatically dishonest", just like every company I've ever worked for.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
283th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Wed 3 Feb 01:55:post reply

quote:
The catch here is that I think they're lying about the complex web of licensing. Or rather, fiercely exaggerating. If they really had such an intense sea of rights to swim through, don't you think that would be reflected in the credits?

I tend to agree with this, especially since Karas is the only explicitly cited in most of the trademark copy. I also agree on their being diplomatically dishonest. Most of the companies I've worked with have enormous pseudo-marketing divisions to decide if even the most minor of aspects might be unappealing to any possible end user. I've had to change laughably minute things in graphics and copy at the request of clients in the past. Perhaps someone decided that the game wouldn't possibly sell if the left the original music stayed in?

It's a shame that Hakushon Damaioh had to go because since it looks like his animations are really great. Perhaps he's still present in the game through Gameshark-esque means?

It's awfully about the music sad, since on going back and watching a bunch of youtube videos of the Japanese version, the music is really, really good.

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Wed 3 Feb 01:57]

Gojira
2576th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Wed 3 Feb 03:58post reply

quote:
"Just like the characters there were certain licensing issues involved in the music so we couldn’t use the original Japanese music in the game. We made new music to replace that."

Translation: "Our budget for this crappy-selling game wasn't high enough to make an effort on behalf of the music licensing, so we just produced our own."

So yeah, technically... certain licensing issues.

shipoopi

Toxico
4852th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 4 Feb 07:56:post reply

NGBC live version website (with absolutely nothing that we haven't seen before).

Also, teen prostitution? ... and no comment

EDIT : one of the links was wrong.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Update 21 as of 29/01/10 (Temporary mega upload link).

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 4 Feb 12:18]

nobinobita
680th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Thu 4 Feb 10:22:post reply

quote:
NGBC live version website (with absolutely nothing that we haven't seen before).

Nonsense! This game looks to have tons of amazing upgrades.

For instance, that bear wasn't wearing a Gi before. But now he's dressed to kill!

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 4 Feb 10:26]

Nekros
223th Post

Frequent Customer

"Sonic's back (in 2D!)" , posted Thu 4 Feb 22:45post reply

Sonic The Hedgehog 4 officially announced!
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/projectneedlemouse/video/6249444?hd=1

From July on PSN, XBL, WW.
Takes place directly after Sonic & Knuckles.

I'm scared. Seriously.

GekigangerV
1638th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Sonic's back (in 2D!)" , posted Fri 5 Feb 00:37post reply

quote:
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 officially announced!
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/projectneedlemouse/video/6249444?hd=1

From July on PSN, XBL, WW.
Takes place directly after Sonic & Knuckles.

I'm scared. Seriously.

This kind of game is getting episodic content? Really?

I guess this is a response to the AMAZING sales of NSMB Wii. I haven't enjoyed a Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2, but maybe this will be fun. I hope there is an interesting design for a Mecha Sonic and giant Robotnik robot fight at the end.

The running animation needs work though. It looks more like a jog or something.

KTallguy
1179th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Sonic's back (in 2D!)" , posted Fri 5 Feb 02:04post reply

I'm doing my best not to get too excited.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Ishmael
3678th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 5 Feb 02:38post reply

At first I was going to suggest that Sonic news should perhaps be moved off to a new topic since this thread is hopelessly puffy. Then I remembered this is Sonic we're talking about; that character should probably be happy with whatever comes his way.

quote:

"Are these images refined from the arcade version sure to further heat up the action of this dream all-star battle? Def! High def!"

Even though it has lost a great deal of its mojo over the years SNKP can still print up text that reads like nothing else in the world. The nameless translators and authors of these head-spinning sentences are the true heroes of the company.

quote:
... and no comment

Wait, is that a new IP from SNKP? If that's true I... I don't know what to make of that.

kofoguz
816th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Latest random thread" , posted Fri 5 Feb 05:04post reply

quote:
... and no comment

Wait, is that a new IP from SNKP? If that's true I... I don't know what to make of that.

It's been there for a while but yeah it's new. It was usually for the mobile phones other than Iphone.

Iron D
3368th Post

"Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1" , posted Fri 5 Feb 18:35post reply

Official U.S. site with short trailer.

2d gameplay, download for PS3, 360 and Wii this summer. Supposedly takes place story-wise after Sonic and Knuckles (although that game didn't really have a TON of story to follow or anything). Oh, and Sonic is the only playable character.

I dunno. I've had my heart broken so many times recently, hoping for that Sonic game that was a return to the glory days. It looks like they're really going for a retro feel this time, but...I'm highly, HIGHLY skeptical.

Er.....

Badoor
108th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1" , posted Sat 6 Feb 01:11post reply

quote:
Official U.S. site with short trailer.

2d gameplay, download for PS3, 360 and Wii this summer. Supposedly takes place story-wise after Sonic and Knuckles (although that game didn't really have a TON of story to follow or anything). Oh, and Sonic is the only playable character.

I dunno. I've had my heart broken so many times recently, hoping for that Sonic game that was a return to the glory days. It looks like they're really going for a retro feel this time, but...I'm highly, HIGHLY skeptical.

Well it's not like sonic team haven't made a decent 2D sonic game in a while. I though that Sonic Rush Adventure was pretty good if you can stomach the chatter. I even liked the traveling mini games.
Then again all the DS/GBA sonic games were co-developed by dimps so it could be that they're the ones responsible for the quality of those games.

As for Sonic the Hedgehog 4, I don't understand the reasoning for it to be episodic. Couldn't sega have just called it Sonic the hedgehog 4 and the next one be sonic the hedgehog 5? The whole episodic thing at least with me suggest that the game is short and has an important chronological story structure that isn't self sufficient itself which contradicts the whole simple throw back old-school idea of sonic 4.