$30 cheap for a Hori?-and other joystick talk - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1965 Views )

sfried
449th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"$30 cheap for a Hori?-and other joystick talk" , posted Sat 26 Dec 23:44post reply

I decided to get these Wii Hori fighting sticks for my new system, going to SRK for advice. I told them most people would rather wait out for the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom MadCatz bundle, but from what I new about the brand, MadCatz wasn't entirely reliable...until most members from the SRK community told me thatsince the SE/TE, MadCatz has been gaining advantage over Hori through the years (at least for the modding community).

I'm entirely in the dark when it comes to the arcade stick news, but I do know Hori is a good brand. Did I make the right choice getting these usually-priced $40 sticks for only $30? I don't intend to use it just for fighting games: I have a hefty number of shmups, and I think I'll try to get that Ultimate Shooting Collection from the bargain bins since I was denied Radio Allergy for GameCube once...

Replies:

hikarutilmitt
521th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):$30 cheap for a Hori?-and other joystic" , posted Sun 27 Dec 02:56post reply

quote:
I decided to get these Wii Hori fighting sticks for my new system, going to SRK for advice. I told them most people would rather wait out for the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom MadCatz bundle, but from what I new about the brand, MadCatz wasn't entirely reliable...until most members from the SRK community told me thatsince the SE/TE, MadCatz has been gaining advantage over Hori through the years (at least for the modding community).

I'm entirely in the dark when it comes to the arcade stick news, but I do know Hori is a good brand. Did I make the right choice getting these usually-priced $40 sticks for only $30? I don't intend to use it just for fighting games: I have a hefty number of shmups, and I think I'll try to get that Ultimate Shooting Collection from the bargain bins since I was denied Radio Allergy for GameCube once...

It's not a BAD stick, per se, but I've become increasingly annoyed with Hori sticks just by their design. You either get an HRAP-style stick that you have to remove the bottom plate as well as a number of screws, or you get a slim factor EX-style stick (the EX2, FS3 and FS Wii) that is nice for the size but can be a pain to mod once the stock Hori garbage breaks.

Getting those for that price is awesome. If you're going to be using it for shmups you could very easily swap in a Seimitsu LS-33 and replace the buttons if you're not afraid of soldering. If I didn't have my custom stick modded to accept just about any console by detachable cables I'd actually consider ordering one of those for a dedicated Wii stick.

Oroch
1086th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):$30 cheap for a Hori?-and other joystic" , posted Sun 27 Dec 04:05post reply

quote:

30$ is a good deal, hori's are decent sticks

i'm still wary on madcatz, their qc seems to be spotty

sfried
456th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):$30 cheap for a Hori?-and other joystic" , posted Mon 11 Jan 13:15post reply

quote:

I was rather suspect of their craftsmanship myself. Still, $80 seems like such a blatant rip-off for a manufacturer who's reputation tends to reek of shoddiness (for their 3rd party controllers).

But since SRK is a reputational forum, I'll give it a benefit of a doubt based on their account, however the people I hear praising the MadCatz are also modders, so perhaps they're find it's other superfluous "qualities" more attractive than others.

Regardless, I decided to get the Hori sticks when I found them new in EB Games for $40. It's unfortunate the online store I was buying from had to cancel my previous order since they were out of stock.

What's the usual price of a quality stick? Just based on the above, it seems like $80 but I hear it's mostly around three figures.

hikarutilmitt
522th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):$30 cheap for a Hori?-and other joystic" , posted Tue 12 Jan 07:36post reply

quote:

I was rather suspect of their craftsmanship myself. Still, $80 seems like such a blatant rip-off for a manufacturer who's reputation tends to reek of shoddiness (for their 3rd party controllers).

But since SRK is a reputational forum, I'll give it a benefit of a doubt based on their account, however the people I hear praising the MadCatz are also modders, so perhaps they're find it's other superfluous "qualities" more attractive than others.

Regardless, I decided to get the Hori sticks when I found them new in EB Games for $40. It's unfortunate the online store I was buying from had to cancel my previous order since they were out of stock.

What's the usual price of a quality stick? Just based on the above, it seems like $80 but I hear it's mostly around three figures.

The recent MC sticks are actually good for a few reasons, one of them being Markman insisting that they make them correctly instead of shitty. MC wanted to try and change their reputation with consumers with this and they did so the right way. When Daigo himself uses a TE stick, something was done right.

A good stick depends on what you want to be "good" and how. If you want good buttons, use arcade parts. That will increase costs. A good stick, again, arcade parts. Just those things right there will hit you for at least $50 usually. Then you need a case, PCB, whatever.

I have a basic txt file I keep some stuff in here for arcade sticks:

quote:
Sanwa JLF - $25
6 sanwa OSBN-30 - $18
5 Seimitsu PS-14-dn - $15.50
ChImp - $30

Seimitsu LS-32-01 - $25
6 Seimitsu - $21 (clear $24)
5 Seimitsu PS-14-dn - $15.50
ChImp - $30

optional:
360 board - ???

A single system custom stick, depending on how basic you want, can range from $100 or more for a single system to $150 or more for a multiple system, decked out stick. The above example uses Toodle's ChImp board for the PCB (which works for PS3 and PC and has the option for piggybacking a common ground 360 PCB), but you could just as easily use a hacked apart regular game pad like a Classic Controller or something for any system you want.

The Mad Catz SE is actually a great entry level stick and newer SKUs of it have the weird washer issue fixed. The stick and buttons are Sanwa knockoffs, but they're a lot better than Hori's stock crap has been.

sfried
457th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):$30 cheap for a Hori?-and other joystic" , posted Tue 12 Jan 09:45post reply

A recent thread in Shoryuken was created concerning the TvC stick

quote:
I got my TvC stick in today. I posted a review here: http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/nilcam/tvc-stick-review-160167.phtml

In short, it's better than the SFIV FightStick and Hori Wii. I haven't modded it yet.

So perhaps it's true after all.
quote:
The recent MC sticks are actually good for a few reasons, one of them being Markman insisting that they make them correctly instead of shitty. MC wanted to try and change their reputation with consumers with this and they did so the right way. When Daigo himself uses a TE stick, something was done right.

Is that so? Is it because they actually started using better parts, or did they actually improved the engineering of the sticks?

And who is Markman?
quote:
A single system custom stick, depending on how basic you want, can range from $100 or more for a single system to $150 or more for a multiple system, decked out stick. The above example uses Toodle's ChImp board for the PCB (which works for PS3 and PC and has the option for piggybacking a common ground 360 PCB), but you could just as easily use a hacked apart regular game pad like a Classic Controller or something for any system you want.

Are there usual places you can order custom sticks from? I have no knowledge of modding and the best I've done with assembling stuff is IKEA furniture. I don't even know how the PBCs work...

quote:
The Mad Catz SE is actually a great entry level stick and newer SKUs of it have the weird washer issue fixed. The stick and buttons are Sanwa knockoffs, but they're a lot better than Hori's stock crap has been.

I see. Well, I'll keep it in mind the next time I purchase accessories...hopefully when the income roles in.

hikarutilmitt
523th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):$30 cheap for a Hori?-and other joystic" , posted Wed 13 Jan 08:30post reply

quote:
Is that so? Is it because they actually started using better parts, or did they actually improved the engineering of the sticks?

A lot of both. Markman even said that the TvC sticks they're making have re-engineered the cloned parts in the SE compared to the previous SE.

quote:
And who is Markman?

http://sdtekken.com/

quote:
Are there usual places you can order custom sticks from? I have no knowledge of modding and the best I've done with assembling stuff is IKEA furniture. I don't even know how the PBCs work...

Shoryuken has custom builders, but they range in quality and expense. If I had more time I'd consider doing it, myself, just because it's a fun hobby and it'd make me better each time. :2ch_bubukuu:

sfried
458th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):$30 cheap for a Hori?-and other joystic" , posted Wed 13 Jan 16:54post reply

quote:
A lot of both. Markman even said that the TvC sticks they're making have re-engineered the cloned parts in the SE compared to the previous SE.

Shoryuken has custom builders, but they range in quality and expense. If I had more time I'd consider doing it, myself, just because it's a fun hobby and it'd make me better each time. :2ch_bubukuu:

So apparently MarkMan also posts on Shoryuken regarding the new TvC stick.

I might considering investing in one in the long run, although by that time I'd probably go for the custom.

The trouble is I have no knowledge in soldering and neither do I have the proper equipment. Of course, I could just probably ask somebody in SRK to do it for me...if only more people know how to build sticks for Wii/GC.

hikarutilmitt
524th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):$30 cheap for a Hori?-and other joystic" , posted Thu 14 Jan 07:06post reply

quote:
So apparently MarkMan also posts on Shoryuken regarding the new TvC stick.

I might considering investing in one in the long run, although by that time I'd probably go for the custom.

The trouble is I have no knowledge in soldering and neither do I have the proper equipment. Of course, I could just probably ask somebody in SRK to do it for me...if only more people know how to build sticks for Wii/GC.

Honestly, if you're considering getting one of the Mad Catz TvC sticks, they are made to be easily modded with arcade parts. All you need is a screwdriver and some time (about 15 minutes). It really is that easy.

On the other hand, if you want a custom stick for just a GC/Wii and cannot find someone on SRK I wouldn't mind putting one together if you paid for shipping and parts. I'd only charge labor costs for this stuff if I did it as a job and it was a huge pain in the ass, honestly, but as a hobby it'd be like you paying me to have fun.

sfried
460th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Sanwhats?" , posted Thu 14 Jan 16:07post reply

quote:
Honestly, if you're considering getting one of the Mad Catz TvC sticks, they are made to be easily modded with arcade parts. All you need is a screwdriver and some time (about 15 minutes). It really is that easy.
Oh, is that so? I thought it still required some rewiring of sorts and that for me seems to be the tricky part. I don't have trouble with circuitry but I'm not really versed in the switches of arcade cabinets. Not to mention the talk I hear of people shorting their equipment...

That said, the prospects for me getting one look brighter, although I really should be trying out my new Hori stick first with some games. I was thinking of getting a copy of King of Fighters Collection Orochi Saga. Would that be a good testbed (Not to mention entry level fighter)?
quote:
On the other hand, if you want a custom stick for just a GC/Wii and cannot find someone on SRK I wouldn't mind putting one together if you paid for shipping and parts. I'd only charge labor costs for this stuff if I did it as a job and it was a huge pain in the ass, honestly, but as a hobby it'd be like you paying me to have fun.

I see what you mean. You probably also know where to get the kind of parts needed for a fulljob custom (such as the circuitry), which, aside from the buttons, I myself have no clue where to aquire.

In all honestly, I'd like to learn myself, but perhaps with someone supervising.

Toxico
4841th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(9):Sanwhats?" , posted Thu 14 Jan 16:53post reply

quote:
I was thinking of getting a copy of King of Fighters Collection Orochi Saga. Would that be a good testbed (Not to mention entry level fighter)?

Well, entry level fighter? Yes, Orochi collection benefits from a very diverse experience. You'll have games that are more or less hard to clear (like 95') and you'll have games that just plainly a cake walk to play (like 97').

Test bed for controller? Most likely yes. I remember controls to be very stiff and precise in 94' and 96' (getting accurate fast uppercut motions wasn't that easy as some other games), but you'll also have games where inputting commands is obscenely easy (like in 97', where there are virtually nothing but short cuts programmed to the moves). Also you won't have to deal per see with insanely weird DM motions like in the pre KoF SNK titles.... So, yeah.

I always heard legendary stories about unresponsive controls in KoF and what not, As someone who played since the early Garou 2 era, I can see nothing but improvents here... Also, I don't agree with much of this, but heck; it's reference

obscene voodoo dance teleport

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Translation txt currently off line.

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 14 as of 11/12/09

hikarutilmitt
525th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Sanwhats?" , posted Fri 15 Jan 01:12post reply

quote:
Oh, is that so? I thought it still required some rewiring of sorts and that for me seems to be the tricky part. I don't have trouble with circuitry but I'm not really versed in the switches of arcade cabinets. Not to mention the talk I hear of people shorting their equipment...

The SE and TE sticks are designed to be easily modded. the buttons all use quick disconnects, so you only need to pop open the case, unplug the button, pull out the stock button, slide in the new one, plug it back in. The stick is essentially the same thing. Just unplug the wiring harness, unscrew the mounting plate to remove the stick (pull off the balltop first!), screw the new one in and reconnect the wiring harness.

quote:
I see what you mean. You probably also know where to get the kind of parts needed for a fulljob custom (such as the circuitry), which, aside from the buttons, I myself have no clue where to aquire.

In all honestly, I'd like to learn myself, but perhaps with someone supervising.

That's usually a good method, too. Learning to use a soldering iron isn't hard and there are so many tutorials on making sticks it's amazing.

sfried
462th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Sanwhats?" , posted Sat 16 Jan 11:40:post reply

I took Toxico's work and gave my stick the workout with Orochi Saga...Although there are times when I have to question if it's just me who's doing the inputs wrong or just too slowly. I'm only now learning how to play KoF and many of Kyo Kusanagi's moves that chain into another seem to require special timing.

I think this stick will last me a while. Although in any case it does break down, I'd probably get the TvC stick or custom build my own if I have the chance.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 16 Jan 11:41]