Avatar The Thread. - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2285 Views )

kofoguz
797th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Avatar The Thread." , posted Sat 19 Dec 07:22post reply

Anybody else watched it yet? It was awesome.

Replies:

nobinobita
663th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Avatar The Thread." , posted Sat 19 Dec 07:27post reply

quote:

I had a million reasons to dislike it. It was so cliched and drew on my least favorite storytelling formula of the western man entering an idealized foreign culture, learning their ways, nailing their princess and becoming their jesus (all in a few weeks) ...

But it was so fun that I didn't care.

I let my guard down and I really enjoyed it.

Freeter
4489th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Avatar The Thread." , posted Sat 19 Dec 09:18post reply

Story was garbage (typical 'save the planet' nonsense), but the visuals. The visuals. Christ this movie is gorgeous on a grand scale. This is one of those films that you must see on IMAX, regular screens do not do it justice at all.

And despite being a 2+ hour film, Cameron knows how to keep things exciting. The beginning was slow and the romance was sappy, but those action sequences were exhilarating.

Now if only someone can persuade Cameron to salvage Terminator...

karasu99
248th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Avatar The Thread." , posted Sat 19 Dec 12:42post reply

I generally avoid The Blockbuster since so often it ends up being disappointing, but these days if I want to watch a science fiction I hardly have a choice.

I does look pretty nice but I'm about to get tired of hearing interviews with Cameron.

Nobinobita, I'm with you about the cliched material though.

Iron D
3341th Post

"Re(4):Avatar The Thread." , posted Sat 19 Dec 19:58post reply

I guess I'm the only one who can't look past how cliched the movie is. Really, I STILL found myself rolling my eyes at some of the characters (the hard fighting, ultra militant military commander...the sweet, nice female love interest...bleh) and the paper-thin plot. This film is getting through the roof reviews everywhere, and I just don't see why.

I guess if you look at it from the point of view that it's just a "popcorn flick" then I could say it does it's job. It is just mindless fun after all. And I'm not knocking the value of the popcorn flick...sometimes you just want to see a movie for the sake of seeing a movie. But there are better popcorn flicks out there.

And the visuals can be pretty, but does no one else notice how badly the CG and live action meshes? They stick out against each other badly, and I was never convinced that I was seeing a live action person fighting another creature; it always felt like actors attempting to interact with CG puppets.

Er.....

kofoguz
798th Post

"Re(2):Avatar The Thread." , posted Sat 19 Dec 20:48post reply

quote:

I had a million reasons to dislike it. It was so cliched and drew on my least favorite storytelling formula of the western man entering an idealized foreign culture, learning their ways, nailing their princess and becoming their jesus (all in a few weeks) ...

I guess I'm the only one who liked the storyline better. Also I guess I never watch those -outsider become strong member of the tribal- type of movies (out of "Dances with the Wolves") you called "clicheed" .

Also LoL at people who complain about "clichee" in a Hollywood movie land where everything is almost remakes and meaningless sequels -I'm looking at you Saw 6-. I know some of the parts was seeable that its coming

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
(The second Toruk Macto explained by Neyfiri I know Jake will ride it in desperate times)

End of Spoiler

Overall it has the Yeşilçam story formula too, if we wnat to talk about clichee. Everything goes perfect, than there's really bad things happen and all the bridges are burnt then some miracle happens and happy end. I'm telking about the serious classic dramas not wacky comedies of Yeşilçam.
I really liked director's approach to the greediness of human kind.

Anyway I heard most freaked out when its Na'vi and humans is next to each other, you know because of the size issues. I liked that parts best if you ask me. The basketball scene and

when Neyfiri holds Jake

End of Spoiler

Iron D
3342th Post

"Re(3):Avatar The Thread." , posted Sun 20 Dec 02:38post reply

quote:

Also LoL at people who complain about "clichee" in a Hollywood movie land where everything is almost remakes and meaningless sequels -I'm looking at you Saw 6-. I know some of the parts was seeable that its coming .

Lol at people who act like this is an excuse to make yet another cliched movie. Just because Hollywood is lacking in originality, doesn't mean that movies that continue this trend of unoriginality should be praised for it.

Er.....

karasu99
250th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Avatar The Thread." , posted Sun 20 Dec 04:26post reply

quote:

Also LoL at people who complain about "clichee" in a Hollywood movie land where everything is almost remakes and meaningless sequels -I'm looking at you Saw 6-. I know some of the parts was seeable that its coming .

No, you're right that I should find a discrete film (unrelated to others as a sequel, remake, or spin-off) to be cliched, so point taken.

Nevertheless I can't stop wishing that movies would take more chances, but with Hollywood the way it is, and only getting more so, I think that's likely to be an unfulfilled wish.

Still, this looks to be a good one. Thanks to everyone here who has unwittingly convinced me to see it.

bootation
582th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Avatar The Thread." , posted Sun 20 Dec 04:49post reply

quote:

No, you're right that I should find a discrete film (unrelated to others as a sequel, remake, or spin-off) to be cliched, so point taken.

Nevertheless I can't stop wishing that movies would take more chances, but with Hollywood the way it is, and only getting more so, I think that's likely to be an unfulfilled wish.

Still, this looks to be a good one. Thanks to everyone here who has unwittingly convinced me to see it.

I wanna see it in 3d imax only

Click this webpage

also chek out http://myspace.com/atomiswave2

kofoguz
799th Post

"Re(5):Avatar The Thread." , posted Sun 20 Dec 07:55post reply

quote:
I wanna see it in 3d imax only

Yes, you should see it in 3d imax only.
Eventhough I find storyline solid, meaningful and beautiful it's not the same with everyone and it's not its strongest part. Its strongest part is its visuals.

nate
978th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Avatar The Thread." , posted Mon 21 Dec 12:40post reply

wake me up when the last airbender a.k.a. that movie james cameron was enough of a prick to not even let have avatar in it's own fucking title comes out.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Digitalboy
672th Post

"Re(2):Avatar The Thread." , posted Mon 21 Dec 13:28post reply

Are you serious? So the Avatar The Last Airbender movie will just be The Last Airbender?
quote:
wake me up when the last airbender a.k.a. that movie james cameron was enough of a prick to not even let have avatar in it's own fucking title comes out.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Tai-Pan
407th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Avatar The Thread." , posted Mon 21 Dec 13:37post reply

I like to watch a nice cliched movie once in a while. And this one is amazing, even if it's the type of story we all have heard before.
Watching this on imax 3d made me feel really really good. And I never felt that the cgi characters were not real. I believed every single stupid scene. I have the right to be stupid silly sometimes.

Now..something that worries me: Considering that imax presentations in 3D are very expensive and not every country in the world has imax screen. Does this mean that the movie won't do as much money as projected? After all I really think that watching this movie on a regular theater screen is not the same at all. I feel sorry for my friends in my home country. They won't get to experience the movie as it was intended.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Loona
288th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Avatar The Thread." , posted Tue 22 Dec 00:01post reply

quote:

The story was terribly predictable at times, but in the end it's all about how it was executed. That, and

alien version of Sigourney Weaver.

End of Spoiler

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Freeter
4490th Post

"Re(3):Avatar The Thread." , posted Tue 22 Dec 02:48post reply

quote:
Are you serious? So the Avatar The Last Airbender movie will just be The Last Airbender?

Blame the general movie-going populace for that one. They'll go in expecting more blue alien humping action instead of an elemental kid monk.

nobinobita
665th Post

"Re(2):Avatar The Thread." , posted Tue 22 Dec 03:24post reply

quote:

James Cameron's been working on Avatar long before the Nickelodeon show ever aired. He's probably had that movie title registered for the last two decades.

There is another instance of similarly named movies this year. There's 9, the cg voodoo puppet action flick and Nine, the musical starring Bill the Butcher.

I think there were also two movies about Truman Capote in the last year.

Mokona
477th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Avatar The Thread." , posted Tue 22 Dec 03:32post reply

Yes, the story is laughably predictable.
Yes, the characters are one-dimensional (bad guy is very bad, blabla)

But damn! What a voyage! I have been on Pandora, I don't care that it doesn't exist, because I went there. As far as I'm concerned, Cameron took a rocket ship and went there and filmed some blue people. It's that good.

The pure escapism is what did it for me. I was sucked in so much that the story was almost secondary to me. I got into the story because I like these kinds of movies (when it's not a parody of itself, which thankfully wasn't the case here).

Also, I was afraid about the 3D beforehand. I saw Beowulf in Imax 3D, and it was more of a gimmick in that movie. In here, I was very rarely distracted by it. After about 15 minutes, you don't even think about it anymore, but you feel the difference.
All in all, if I had seen the movie in a regular theater, and without the 3D, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been sucked in as much. So in that sense, Cameron has succeeded in making the 3D relevant to his movie. Now that he has spent all that money on the tech, I hope he'll rentabilize it with a worthy sequel (the story leaves the door open). I truly cannot wait to go back to Pandora.

The only shame is that I'll probably never have the chance to see it like this after it's gone from the theaters. Even on a 70'' screen on bluray, it will not be the same.

Blah!

Ishmael
3643th Post

"Re(4):Avatar The Thread." , posted Tue 22 Dec 04:46post reply

quote:

Lol at people who act like this is an excuse to make yet another cliched movie. Just because Hollywood is lacking in originality, doesn't mean that movies that continue this trend of unoriginality should be praised for it.

The general complaint about unoriginality in movies always struck me as a bit off. For me, it's not how new the story is but how the story is told and whether it has something to say. Every generation should have its own version of Hamlet. But the relevant question for this thread is does every generation need whatever it is that Avatar is doing? Since I haven't seen the movie I can't say, so I guess I'm just talking to myself at this point. Sorry about that.

kofoguz
801th Post

"Re(5):Avatar The Thread." , posted Tue 22 Dec 07:06post reply

quote:
The general complaint about unoriginality in movies always struck me as a bit off. For me, it's not how new the story is but how the story is told and whether it has something to say. Every generation should have its own version of Hamlet. But the relevant question for this thread is does every generation need whatever it is that Avatar is doing? Since I haven't seen the movie I can't say, so I guess I'm just talking to myself at this point. Sorry about that.

See Mokona's post. Yes the story is very predictable, some parts are not explained (I think most doesnt have to be).

But I liked the story I find it deep and refreshing. I guess I never saw this type of stories where they truly show greedy war is greedy. And wrong. At least in a box office movie which visually and truly enchanting.
Its like your (grand/)parents telling you the story of B.B. Hood with awesome stage effects and magic numbers when you were a child.

Iron D
3345th Post

"Re(5):Avatar The Thread." , posted Tue 22 Dec 07:57post reply

quote:

I agree that some stories are good enough to be told over and over again (see: A Christmas Carol), but the fact that it's the execution of the story that falls flat is what causes me to point out the unoriginality in the first place.

Let's face it, there are plenty of times where the same story is told over and over. When it's executed well enough though, fewer people care about the unoriginality.

This movie tells the story just like how the story was told before. So much so, that when a character is introduced you can straight up predict what's going to happen from the moment they open their mouths. What I'm saying is, besides graphics, it adds nothing new to the mix.

When a story is executed well, you will likely leave with the feeling that you've seen something new even if you haven't. Avatar, despite its visuals, just left me feeling like I'd seen it all before.

Oh, and on the visuals: yes the 3d was pretty. Lots of pretty colors, nice details on the terrain and I liked the designs of the creatures. However, whenever the 3d was mixed with live actors, it became a lot less convincing.

The scene during the final battle where the one big N'avi guy (can't remember his name atm) jumps on one of the ships and just starts going off on a bunch of marines looked real unconvincing...it looked like they were not even being hit; just kind of reacting to something that wasn't really there.

End of Spoiler

Er.....

Oroch
1086th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):Avatar The Thread." , posted Fri 25 Dec 16:29:post reply

just saw it, jeez talk about cliche

fallen white guy becomes holy savoir of shit eating natives, i liked it better when it was called "the last nigga on earth starring tom hanks""the last samurai"""insert typical 18th century literature title here" at least i knew what i'd be getting then

and this is supposed to be james cameron's magnum opus that he struggled 12 years to make?

p.s. kids don't forget to save mother earth by driving a prius
p.p.s. "come get some", really? if you're going to be a rock eating marine at least say it with some moxy like the chopper gunner from fmj

effects were cool though, even if the weapons/vehicles were rather generic

[this message was edited by Oroch on Fri 25 Dec 16:48]

GekigangerV
1633th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Avatar The Thread." , posted Sat 26 Dec 01:25:post reply

Saw it in IMAX 3D. Thought it was okay. Special effects were really top notch and will most definitely get every award out there for it. Acting and story not so much.

Thought this article was very interesting and spoilerific Link Here

I am not sure if I "get" 3D films. I don't think it added anything to the movie and I only noticed it twice. The bubble at the beginning of the movie and the little bit of fire near the end.

Man, some of the super fans are kind of annoying. They would defend this film to the death.

*edit*

Since I have video games on the mind all the time, one of the first things I thought of when they showed Pandora was a pre-VII Final Fantasy world.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sat 26 Dec 01:36]

D`Cloud
260th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Avatar The Thread." , posted Sun 27 Dec 17:17post reply

quote:

which will suck thanks to m. night charlatan. hahaha..

http://www.dustinuy.com

Mozex
396th Post

Silver Customer

"3D is distracting" , posted Tue 29 Dec 15:34:post reply

Am I the only one who found the 3D really distracting? I kept trying to look at details that were in the background, but being unable to focus on them totally destroyed the 3D illusion and gave me eye strain for the first half of the movie. Around halfway through I gave up and just stared at center frame and the effect was much more enjoyable.

I think I have a much better understanding of Pollyanna's feelings toward FPS's now.

quote:

Pretty much how I felt too.

PS,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thsc60UTUIE&feature=youtu.be&a

Be kind to goblins.

[this message was edited by Mozex on Tue 29 Dec 15:35]

Ishmael
3646th Post

"Re(1):3D is distracting" , posted Wed 30 Dec 04:55post reply

After having seen Avatar for myself I can say that while the story itself didn't grab me I am glad I saw it in the conditions that it was designed for. While the techinal gimmickery strikes me as little more than cinerama for the 21st century, one of the reasons I go to the movies is for goofy spectacles like this.

I won't discuss the film itself since others in this thread have done a better job than I would. That said, I do want to mention that I was impressed that the main character was able to compensate for the lag from the long distance controls of his avatar. But even though he was able to jump around and whatnot I still doubt he could pull off any just frame attacks in that remote controlled cat.

Iron D
3350th Post

"Re(2):3D is distracting" , posted Wed 30 Dec 07:36post reply

quote:

That said, I do want to mention that I was impressed that the main character was able to compensate for the lag from the long distance controls of his avatar. But even though he was able to jump around and whatnot I still doubt he could pull off any just frame attacks in that remote controlled cat.

The netcode was obviously not handled by Backbone.

ZING!

Er.....

nobinobita
668th Post

"Re(3):3D is distracting" , posted Wed 30 Dec 07:55post reply

quote:

That said, I do want to mention that I was impressed that the main character was able to compensate for the lag from the long distance controls of his avatar. But even though he was able to jump around and whatnot I still doubt he could pull off any just frame attacks in that remote controlled cat.

The netcode was obviously not handled by Backbone.

ZING!

:D

Nice alley oop there.

Variable Savior
471th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):3D is distracting" , posted Sun 3 Jan 15:46post reply

I agree with whats been said so far (i.e. great visuals, unremarkable story) but I had some problems some of the story elements:

#1) The female lead rejects Jake after he reveals his mission and his people destroy the home tree (thus killing her father/tribe leader). Both she and her people all despise him but all is instantly forgiven once he shows he can ride a big red dinosaur. I mean, I know it was relevant to their culture, but the instant 180 just seemed dumb to me

#2) At the end of the movie the villain is using his mech's hands to lift Jake up by the hair so he can stab him with his human hands - all while our hero struggles to free his hair/relieve the tension. And despite being right in front of his completely exposed enemy Jake at no point uses his hands to defend himself or ideally kill the weak little human. Now I'd imagine that Nav'i hair is more sensitive than humans (what with the tentacle thingees and all) but I mean even if someone had a person up by the balls I think they could take a swing at them to try and save their life.

#3) The Nav'i beat the humans and kicked em off Pandora - hurray. But as the story ended they would be dead a few hours later when instead of leaving the planet the humans decided to carpet bomb the Nav'i from orbit (or even just higher than those bird things could fly). With the supposed value of that rock there's no way mankind would give up that easily - particularly with such easy technological solutions available. I was hoping that they would go with something like "the shareholders were upset by the attack on the native people so the operations been called off" (hinted at by the CEO guys progressively more disturbed face) but as it is the director's cut should contain an extra two minute clip showing the Nav'i getting nuked into nonexistence.

End of Spoiler

All and all I'm still glad I saw it but come on - some of this stuff is just really dumb. And for the love of God why does a race that can create avatars and travel light years in space still rely on machine guns and freakin matches???

Blood marks heaven's path

Iron D
3357th Post

"Re(5):3D is distracting" , posted Sun 3 Jan 17:20post reply

quote:
I agree with whats been said so far (i.e. great visuals, unremarkable story) but I had some problems some of the story elements:

All and all I'm still glad I saw it but come on - some of this stuff is just really dumb. And for the love of God why does a race that can create avatars and travel light years in space still rely on machine guns and freakin matches???

Agreed on all accounts as far as your spoilers are concerned. Not only that but...

Didn't you just KNOW that Jake was going to end up riding the big, red flying creature when the female N'vai mentions that so few have actually managed to do so?

End of Spoiler

Er.....

Hagen de Merak
1046th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):3D is distracting" , posted Tue 19 Jan 11:33post reply

I dunno about you guys, but I saw this movie sucking from miles away. I haven't seen it, and certainly don't plan on it. From what you guys are describing it just seems like Dances with Wolves in Space, IN 3D OMG! Or <INSER WHITE DUDE learning from the natives cliche crap blah blah blah movie>.

GekigangerV
1644th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):3D is distracting" , posted Sun 7 Mar 03:02post reply

So it appears the Oscars are tomorrow and it's "Avatar" vs. "The Hurt Locker" for best picture. If Avatar wins, then 2009 was just a shitty year for movies. This may be the nerd in me speaking, but I thought "The Dark Knight" from 2008 was better in almost every single aspect of movie making save special effects and that wasn't even the best movie of the year.

kofoguz
822th Post

"Re(8):3D is distracting" , posted Sun 7 Mar 09:12post reply

quote:
So it appears the Oscars are tomorrow and it's "Avatar" vs. "The Hurt Locker" for best picture. If Avatar wins, then 2009 was just a shitty year for movies. This may be the nerd in me speaking, but I thought "The Dark Knight" from 2008 was better in almost every single aspect of movie making save special effects and that wasn't even the best movie of the year.

I think, this year "Up" has the chance of winning, too. Well "wall-e" most certainly would if it'd been nominated last year.

bootation
587th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):3D is distracting" , posted Sun 14 Mar 07:19post reply

I thought avatar was awesome. Pretty soon all tvs are gonna be 3d. Makes me glad i skipped on the hd revolution and the lcd revolution. Whats the difference between led and lcd? Do these electronics still have the built in planned obsolesence?

Anyways Avatar had a great message in it too. Theres things going on in south america right now that directly reflect the story in the movie.

Click this webpage

also chek out http://myspace.com/atomiswave2