This year sucked (year in review) - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3706 Views )

Digitalboy
669th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member

"This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Tue 15 Dec 03:55post reply

Comics and movies topped video games for me this year. There weren't any games that made me anticipate its release except for one (you know which one).

Good

Comics
•Blackest Night
•Ryu Final
•Dark Reign

Movies
•Inglourious Basterds
•Public Enemies: Superman/Batman
•Green Lantern: First Flight
•The Hangover

What the fuck bad

Video Games
King of Fighters XII - Seriously, what the fuck was SNK P thinking? I love it because it is a KoF. I hate this game because of everything that has already been said about it. The best way I can describe it is paying $60 for some red light sex however you end weeks later at the doctor's office for the STD you picked up.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Replies:

Oroch
1084th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Tue 15 Dec 04:42post reply

quote:
Comics and movies topped video games for me this year. There weren't any games that made me anticipate its release except for one (you know which one).

Good

Comics
•Blackest Night
•Ryu Final
•Dark Reign

Movies
•Inglourious Basterds
•The Hangover

What the fuck bad

Video Games
King of Fighters XII - Seriously, what the fuck was SNK P thinking? I love it because it is a KoF. I hate this game because of everything that has already been said about it. The best way I can describe it is paying $60 for some red light sex however you end weeks later at the doctor's office for the STD you picked up.

Oh god don't even talk about kof, just pretend it never happened

Hopefully they won't cock it up with 13.

Maou
1874th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Tue 15 Dec 11:37post reply

quote:

What the fuck bad
Video Games

It's been a great year in games for me, but that's only because I'm still catching up from 2007 or so. Wish Room/Hotel Dusk was great, and I sure loved finishing Ouendan!

Wait, did SF IV come out this year? That was okay.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Freeter
4486th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):This year sucked (for SNKP)" , posted Tue 15 Dec 14:46post reply

XII was indeed horseshit. If SNKP doesn't strike a deal with Capcom and Dimps to develop the next KOF then the series is doomed.

Didn't kill my year though, I'm still having loads of fun with my PS3 (MGS4, Uncharted 1 and 2, Brutal Legend, FF13 demo, Infamous, etc.). Next year's going to be even sweeter with GoWIII and Last Guardian, so no rain on my parade anytime soon.

Spoon
1862th Post

"Re(3):This year sucked (for SNKP)" , posted Tue 15 Dec 16:05post reply

quote:
Next year's going to be even sweeter with Mass Effect 2

I'm not shilling whatever are you talking about

Pollyanna
2806th Post

"Re(4):Happy happy" , posted Tue 15 Dec 18:34post reply

I'm not going to argue about KOF XII sucking or not sucking because I've already done that. I'll also keep this game-related (for now).

(C'mon guys, I know I've forgotten some stuff...refresh my memory!)

Good:

Bayonetta. I can't say enough great things about this game, so I won't even bother. Instead, I'll just say that it makes other games of its type unplayable, and will continue to do so for months.

Fighting games. SF4, KOFXII, 2002UM, Tekken 6, BlazBlue...plenty to play. My satisfaction varies from game to game, but when it comes down to it, I just love fighting games.

RPGs...on Wii!? My Wii is good for something! I didn't waste my money on it after all!

Arc Rise Fantasia might be my new favorite traditional RPG. They took the traditional turn-based battle system to the absolute limit. One fantastic boss fight after another, a good cast and a non cop-out ending.

Then, squeezing in at the end of the year, Tales of Graces. I had fairly low expectations for the game, but I've been blown out of the water so far. Even after Bayonetta, the fights are still fun. I hope the game doesn't spoil it in the last 1/3, though. I'm a bit worried, because the protagonist (who was previously fairly compelling) has turned into a "state the obvious, repeat your catchphrase" character. Thankfully, the rest of the cast is holding up.

Honorable Mention?:

Sin and Punishment 2, Yuusha 30, Biohazard 5, Dragon Quest IX, Demon's Souls...?

Bittersweet:

Monster Hunter Tri The game is tons of fun...so much fun that it rendered 2nd G unplayable. It just...works better. Unfortunately, it's also a bit short, and since I had a lot left to do on 2nd G, I feel like it took away more game than it gave me. Rrrrgh...and I still keep thinking of what it would've been like on PS3.

New Mario Bros. Wii Fun with 2 players and a total blast with 4, but way too sterile and slow if you're playing alone. Old-school is fine, but the game sort of says "the only thing we've learned in 20 years is that it's fun to play with your friends."

BAD:

I don't think I bought any games that I disliked this year, but I had several terrible ones given to me, and I (very) recently had a TERRIBLE NEW GAME NIGHT at a friend's house. It included Darkside Chronicles, which has too much jerking the camera around nonsensically, too much plot, terrible sound effects and a feeling that you're not effecting what's going on whatsoever.

Next up was Sengoku Musou 3, which, in my opinion is an embarrassment and is completely unplayable after Bayonetta.

Then, to my deep regret, it was Guitar Hero Van Halen. It was offensive to the ears of non Van Halen fans (naturally) and offensive in its execution to actual fans. Still, I suppose it was worth the price they paid for it...which was nothing.

If there were any other bad games, I didn't play them. (or forgot about them...?)

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Digitalboy
670th Post

"Re(5):Happy happy" , posted Tue 15 Dec 21:58post reply

And by the way, video game periphials.

C'mon, how many periphials do we need for the current generation game consoles?

A few years ago having a guitar/dance mat for a 360/PS3/Wii/PS2 seemed a little excessive for some people, not all enjoyed music rhythm games. Then came the band games. That's fine, because I have room for these periphials.

Now you see turntable/skateboard/third-party manufacturer-periphials-for-the-Wii.

Not fine.

For some odd reason, more and more companies are churning out this crap to consumers hoping that they are unaware of how terrible their products are. This is flooding the market and this reminds me of the Nintendo Entertainment System 8-bit era; too many useless periphials for consoles.

Did we not learn anything from the NES era?

This makes me sad...

...and now I am over my sadness.

I forgot my wishlist for next year in the opening post. Here we go:

2010 wishlist

More animated movies from DC/Time Warner Brothers.

Find an electronics dealer that is selling the Wacom Cintiq 21ux & Onkyo S3200 home theater system on the island of Oahu.

See Undead Fred and Shingo the One post again.

Have SFIII characters in SSFIV...hey, an internet idiot can have dreams too.

I don't know how to live

karasu99
246th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):Happy happy" , posted Wed 16 Dec 03:13post reply

quote:
And by the way, video game periphials.

C'mon, how many periphials do we need for the current generation game consoles?

The Wii is and has been the worst offender in terms of cheap crap accessories. From the second it was released, dozens of stupid hunk of plastic sleeves for the Wiimote have been available to make the controller look like tennis rackets and golf clubs. I blame the targeting of non-game-players to some extent.

BUT in terms of expensive, high-end(ish) accessories, I'm amazed to see how in the midst of tough economic times game enthusiasts have been convinced to buy Rock Band, which has a huge buy-in cost, much higher than the standard low-end DDR dance mat.

I've found 2009 to be a mediocre year game-wise, but then again I'm in my periodic kali-yuga phase of game playing and buying of late, which I'm sure colors my opinion. For instance, I've bought at least a dozen PSP games in the past season, only to leave them languishing on a shelf. Eh, except for Super Mario Brothers Wii, I suppose, which I've enjoyed. Have I mentioned so far that I've found much more Super Mario World influence than I thought I would? I had been seriously expecting a straight SMB3 rehash, from all the previews I had seen.

Bu there's a separate thread for that I think, isn't there?

Toxico
4817th Post

"凶" , posted Wed 16 Dec 05:31:post reply

I don't really want to comment on my year, but let's just say that the post title covers it all.

quote:

BUT in terms of expensive, high-end(ish) accessories, I'm amazed to see how in the midst of tough economic times game enthusiasts have been convinced to buy Rock Band, which has a huge buy-in cost, much higher than the standard low-end DDR dance mat.

Well, in theory, according to the economy theorists and such, when economy is crap you need to spend as much as possible, you need to keep money circling through the market so that it can boost jobs, incomes and whatever; instead of keeping the bills trapped rusting in your mattress.

obscene voodoo dance teleport

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Translation txt currently off line.

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 14 as of 11/12/09

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 16 Dec 05:32]

Iron D
3338th Post

"Re(1):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Wed 16 Dec 07:08post reply

quote:

Good

Comics
•Blackest Night
•Ryu Final
•Dark Reign

Dark Reign....good? I've read very little, have not been impressed with spoilers, and those that have been reading it have told me I'm not missing much. In your opinion, what are the high points of this event?

Blackest Night, however, is kicking all kinds of ass. This may well be the greatest comic event I've ever read.

Good
Movies
•Inglourious Basterds
•The Hangover

Want to see Public Enemies and GL: FF so bad. So they're good you say? Have you seen the Wonder Woman animated DC movie?

Er.....

Freeter
4487th Post

"Re(2):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Wed 16 Dec 07:28post reply

quote:
Have you seen the Wonder Woman animated DC movie?

I've seen it, it's actually pretty good. Check it out.

GekigangerV
1631th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Wed 16 Dec 09:58post reply

This year has been kind of slow for me for video games.

Batman: Arkham Asylum
This was a great game. The game design probably relied a bit too much on vent crawling to get around, but all thing's considered its nice to finally have a GREAT DC game. Hopefully the sequel will force them to find other means to sneak around.

Scribblenauts
Very disappointed. When things got too confusing I knew I could mostly rely on "Jetpack" "Wall" and one other thing to help solve a puzzle.

I have pretty much been losing touch with manga year after year. All I got left now is Hajime no Ippo and Berserk. Naruto keeps getting shittier and shittier I keep up for the train wreck kind of feeling i get when I read it.

Digitalboy
671th Post

"Re(2):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Wed 16 Dec 13:27post reply

The dialogue is what makes me impressed about this. This would be considered the boring parts but the attention to detail is important in the dialogue.

Ares, in short, is somehow allowing Nick Fury to slip away. I have yet to know the reason. It better be a good reason too.

I like how Norman Osborn is just getting power hungry and he will achieve his goals by taking out all foes and allies alike.

Loki is plotting something.

This is the part where I geek out. The bad things that I am noticing about this "event".

•Dr. Doom seems to be out of character in certain panels.
•If Tony Starks is so smart (he built that thing in his chest in a cave after all) why did he not place a fail safe in his spare armors?
•Just like any comic book series: plot convenience.
•Too many books to read to understand it, unlike Blackest Night.
quote:
In your opinion, what are the high points of this event?

For the DC animated movies, I am watching it with a blank slate. I know the stories and origins of the hero in the spotlight, so I take these movies as I would if i never had heard of them.

I have read Public Enemies so many times that I was disappointed that certain characters did not appear in the movie as they did in the comics.

I have the Wonder Woman but I have some sort of ADD towards that one. I think I will watch it tonight.
quote:
Want to see Public Enemies and GL: FF so bad. So they're good you say? Have you seen the Wonder Woman animated DC movie?

I don't know how to live

iron D
3339th Post

"Re(3):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Wed 16 Dec 15:00post reply

quote:
Have you seen the Wonder Woman animated DC movie?

I've seen it, it's actually pretty good. Check it out.

Actually, I have already seen it. I loved it too, and was just curious as to what Digital thinks of it and how Public Enemies and GL stack up to it.

Er.....

Maou
1876th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"excitingly new sucking" , posted Wed 16 Dec 15:31:post reply

OKAY NOW

it is time to capitalize on DigitalBoy's typically hilarious thread titles and expand from the topic of sucky 2009 media to exciting new territory of how this year sucked in a more general way, like last year's thread. Or we could talk about good things about 2009, too, though that's seldom as funny.

I am already so tired of years that don't end in double digits. Enough with this '0X nonsense, I think I'll start using '10 early.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 16 Dec 15:39]

Freeter
4488th Post

"Re(4):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Wed 16 Dec 17:18post reply

quote:

I have pretty much been losing touch with manga year after year. All I got left now is Hajime no Ippo and Berserk. Naruto keeps getting shittier and shittier I keep up for the train wreck kind of feeling i get when I read it.

Naruto? Ditch that shit and get on One Piece. You'll be glad you did.

Toxico
4818th Post

"Re(5):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Wed 16 Dec 17:55:post reply

quote:

The only current action title that has me more or less hooked is the ongoing series "Until dead do us apart" surprisingly runs in a square enix sponsored magazine with a monthly publication, it's a pseudo modern story with simple plot; in which the lead is more or less another take on Zato ichi concept. Benefits from fast paced action a very good drawing style.

edit : The first chap has been uploaded in the main page and the scanlations should be incredible easy to find.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 16 Dec 18:00]

Spoon
1863th Post

"Re(6):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Wed 16 Dec 23:24post reply

quote:

The only current action title that has me more or less hooked is the ongoing series "Until dead do us apart" surprisingly runs in a square enix sponsored magazine with a monthly publication, it's a pseudo modern story with simple plot; in which the lead is more or less another take on Zato ichi concept. Benefits from fast paced action a very good drawing style.

edit : The first chap has been uploaded in the main page and the scanlations should be incredible easy to find.

Though I'm happy to read that one, the title that I drop everything to read the moment chapters are available is Kongou Banchou.

It is utterly ridiculous, and perfectly content in being so. It doesn't try to come up with realistic tactics. It spends 4 pages showing a single punch being landed on a single person. A bear-eating cow gets suplexed. Slapping sense into women is perfectly good. And so on.

Pollyanna
2808th Post

"Re(4):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Thu 17 Dec 04:48post reply

quote:
Naruto keeps getting shittier and shittier I keep up for the train wreck kind of feeling i get when I read it.

The fight with Pain (especially the resolution and his dime-a-dozen backstory) was embarrassingly bad. I couldn't even believe what I was reading, it was so terrible.

Since then, it has been unapologetically ridiculous, but decidedly more fun. Once I allowed myself to stop expecting any level of dignity or sense from it, I really started enjoying it.

So yeah, I think "train wreck" is a good term, but I still find it pretty entertaining...maybe even especially entertaining.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
3640th Post

"Re(5):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Thu 17 Dec 05:19post reply

Probably the most interesting thing for me this year as far as games go was not only the release of several fighting games but that arcades actually had them in stock. It was an odd sight to step into an arcade and to find them stuffed with SF4 and Tekken 6 cabinets.

Iggy
9025th Post

"Re(5):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Thu 17 Dec 06:00:post reply

quote:
The fight with Pain (especially the resolution and his dime-a-dozen backstory) was embarrassingly bad. I couldn't even believe what I was reading, it was so terrible.

Dear Pollyanna.

You are talking about Naruto.

Edit: you are talking about Naruto IN PUBLIC.

I regret to inform you that you have lost the right to wear a Bayonetta avatar, at least until you regain some sense, or at least start talking about the latest shade of lipstick you picked up.

Disapointedly yours,

Iggy, who just had his nails painted taupe last week, and still had nightmares about it.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Thu 17 Dec 06:01]

sfried
445th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Next year will not suc." , posted Thu 17 Dec 06:22post reply

I don't think this year is as bad as everybody claims, but yeah, the disappointments have been many. I BLAME HYPE ON THAT.

Moving right along, next year will not suck because SMT: Strange Journey and Etrian Odyssey 3 will be coming out. (Yeah, I know SMT:SJ already came out in Japan this year.)

Tai-Pan
406th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Next year will not suc." , posted Thu 17 Dec 12:36post reply

quote:
I don't think this year is as bad as everybody claims, but yeah, the disappointments have been many. I BLAME HYPE ON THAT.

Moving right along, next year will not suck because SMT: Strange Journey and Etrian Odyssey 3 will be coming out. (Yeah, I know SMT:SJ already came out in Japan this year.)

I blame the Internet..with a capital I

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Megane
458th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Sat 19 Dec 11:46post reply

quote:

Though I'm happy to read that one, the title that I drop everything to read the moment chapters are available is Kongou Banchou.

It is utterly ridiculous, and perfectly content in being so. It doesn't try to come up with realistic tactics. It spends 4 pages showing a single punch being landed on a single person. A bear-eating cow gets suplexed. Slapping sense into women is perfectly good. And so on.

The sentence 'It spends 4 pages showing a single punch being landed on a single person.' just won me over, and I marathoned it in roughly three days. Thank you, my life is now a little bit worth more living.

Pollyanna
2809th Post

"Re(6):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Tue 22 Dec 04:37post reply

Wheeee! Just got FFXIII! Will it end the year with a bang or a huge disappointment? Internet trash talk is rampant, but I think those people were actually expecting something that resembled Final Fantasy.

Gotta win Tales of Graces fast!

quote:

I regret to inform you that you have lost the right to wear a Bayonetta avatar, at least until you regain some sense, or at least start talking about the latest shade of lipstick you picked up.

I normally just wear lip gloss (usually the Victoria's Secret brand), but I really love the fairy tale pink color from Sephora. I'm not bold enough for their assortment of Jojo-esque colors, but there's a blue/purple from MAC I like if I want the "rockstar look" without looking like I'm trying too hard.

Maybe I should just change to a Naruto icon...

Congrats on derailing a thread to LIPSTICK, by the way.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
3644th Post

"Re(7):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Tue 22 Dec 04:51post reply

quote:
Wheeee! Just got FFXIII! Will it end the year with a bang or a huge disappointment? Internet trash talk is rampant, but I think those people were actually expecting something that resembled Final Fantasy.

I don't even know what a game named Final Fantasy is supposed to be anymore so I doubt FFXIII can fail me in that respect. But what is the game doing? Is the game engine and story working for you so far or are you still stuck in the first five hours of cut-scenes?

Pollyanna
2811th Post

"Re(8):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Fri 25 Dec 12:31post reply

quote:

I don't even know what a game named Final Fantasy is supposed to be anymore so I doubt FFXIII can fail me in that respect. But what is the game doing? Is the game engine and story working for you so far or are you still stuck in the first five hours of cut-scenes?

(note: I haven't played FFXIII for a tremendously long time yet. The systems take a while to "warm up", and I've gotten past that point at least, but I'm maybe 1/4 of the way through at most. My opinion could completely change by the end)

Stiilll...

So far, I loooove it. It's a blast. So much creativity, so much to look at, so beautiful. Not just in a like "pretty graphics" way, but in terms of design, in the depth of the environments, in the subtleties of the character's expressions.

In my opinion, there's a good balance between gameplay and cinemas. Before I can get bored with the game, they hit me with a cinema...and as soon as my fingers start itching, they throw me back into the game.

But I mean...that's going into the game expecting something plot-intensive. If you're the type of person who likes to power level and explore and do things like that, the game is a complete disaster. It is, indeed, terribly linear. It's not just that it's linear...you can't even go back. You can't go around...you just walk on a beautiful beautiful line. On the other hand, although the "dungeons" don't offer a large area to explore, I find myself motivated to explore every (virtual) square inch just to see what there is to see.

I like the battle system, but the game has a bad habit of not challenging you enough. In the battles where you're forced to get creative with the system, it's a lot of fun...really dynamic. Unfortunately, like so many Final Fantasies before it, you can finish many of the fights by just jamming on the "accept" button.

This is especially unfortunate, because the game is built in a way that would benefit from higher difficulty. Because it is so linear, and because you don't have EXP (you level up through job points and your job levels max out at plot-related points), the game always has a good idea of how strong you are and what you're capable of. Also, since it lets you retry after losing, it's no big deal if you get in over you head. It just seems like they could've managed the difficulty much better in an environment like this.

But more than anything, the game is engaging. The systems are simple, but but reasonably fulfilling, the battles are flashy, fast-paced and brilliant when they're challenging...the music is lovely and atmospheric...the environments are rich...and of course, the cinemas are a sight to behold.

I think even if people complain about the cinemas, they're still better than most modern RPGs, where creators seem to think that "more dialogue is better" even if the characters are just blankly staring at each other repeating the same tired, old lines for 20 minutes at a time. If nothing else, FFXIII gives you captivating facial animations (or flashy explosive things) to look at, even if you don't like the dialogue.

Really, most of the complains about the game are well-founded and it doesn't offer a lot if you're looking for a really intensive RPG experience...but it does what it does well enough that I can't help but be delighted by it. To me, it breaks the "good or bad" scale. On a scale of 1 to 10, it's a "totally sweeeeeeet~!". I don't know if its good points outweigh its bad points, but I don't know if that's even relevant.

Random note:

Whenever I play a game, I always make my character "dance". usually I accomplish this by running in circles, running left and right in rapid repetition, strafing or whatever. I assume this is a common practice, but maybe I'm the only one who does this. Anyway, in FFXIII, when you do this (running in circles or back and forth), the characters stop and do a special animation...usually shaking their head or shrugging or whatever.

At any rate, the point is, Sahz has the best dance I've ever seen.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1880th Post

"And now I'll do a dance" , posted Fri 25 Dec 16:01:post reply

quote:
Whenever I play a game, I always make my character "dance".

You get a medal! I expecially like this in games where your whole party trails you...Lunar was always great for this, especially pre-remakes when the huge five-person team was bumbling along behind you even in the dungeons. It's very important to make your characters double back on top of each other, or to move a person in the end of the row in a funny direction by moving the leader in a strange direction first. Lunar also made this fun since you would start walking left or right even if you ran forward and bumped into a wall.

Final Fantasy VIII is good for this too, since everyone always appeared to be hauling ass when they ran, and in places like Dollet with the extreme close-ups in the town squares, you could just create the feeling of total crowd-based mayhem with only three people.

In conclusion, the rest of this thread should only be about dancing.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 25 Dec 16:03]

Toxico
4821th Post

"Re(1):And now I'll do a dance" , posted Fri 25 Dec 16:42:post reply

quote:

In conclusion, the rest of this thread should only be about dancing.

stop

I don't know what the heck I was searching... but, for some reason I ended up with this . Surely, I must be cursed or something.

obscene voodoo dance teleport

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 25 Dec 16:43]

Mozex
393th Post

Silver Customer

"This year didn't suck" , posted Fri 25 Dec 17:26post reply

Video games I played that didn't suck:
Street Fighter 4
Mass Effect
The Legend of Zelda

Television that didn't suck:
Californication
Leverage

Television that did suck:
The last episode of Battlestar Galactica

Books that may or may not suck:
The latest Wheel of Time book by whomever replaced Robert Jordan.

I've noticed that the older I get the worse I get at video games, so I tend to play them less. I think my PS3 has spent the majority of it's "on time" playing movies and downloading system updates.

Be kind to goblins.

KTallguy
1177th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):This year didn't suck" , posted Sat 26 Dec 01:04post reply

I was enjoying FFXIII, but then I had to come back to the US for a week to spend time with my smelly family! Gross!

Game gets harder as you go, which is nice.
The battles are probably the most progressive and interesting in the entire series, and plus they're really damn fun.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Pollyanna
2813th Post

"Re(1):This year didn't suck" , posted Sat 26 Dec 03:33post reply

quote:

I've noticed that the older I get the worse I get at video games, so I tend to play them less. I think my PS3 has spent the majority of it's "on time" playing movies and downloading system updates.

I think I came to this board a long time ago to talk about import and fighting games. A few years back, I think it was labeled as a "homosexual gaming site", but lately it just feels like a "disenchanted aging gamer" forum.

I don't know if that really suits me or not, but I don't know anywhere else...

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1880th Post

"Re(2):This year didn't suck" , posted Sat 26 Dec 04:13post reply

quote:
I think it was labeled as a "homosexual gaming site", but lately it just feels like a "disenchanted aging gamer" forum.
I think the former is hilarious and maybe truer than I might have thought though as for the latter, I'd say it's just a group of discerning critics---the Cafe is the arthouse movie theater of game talk, where people are actually interesting and where it's small enough that you can actually see how one person's personality (at least as represented here) relates to their tastes and impressions of this strange little hobby/art/entertainment.

KTallguy
1178th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):This year didn't suck" , posted Sat 26 Dec 09:03post reply

I like the collection of people we have here, although I feel like one of the less interesting ones.

On a separate and completely unrelated note, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays :)

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Spoon
1865th Post

"Re(9):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Sat 26 Dec 10:29post reply

quote:

Random note:

Whenever I play a game, I always make my character "dance". usually I accomplish this by running in circles, running left and right in rapid repetition, strafing or whatever. I assume this is a common practice, but maybe I'm the only one who does this. Anyway, in FFXIII, when you do this (running in circles or back and forth), the characters stop and do a special animation...usually shaking their head or shrugging or whatever.

At any rate, the point is, Sahz has the best dance I've ever seen.

I love doing that, too!
I remember playing MGS and trying to determine what was the fastest possible rate that Snake could twirl around at, either in prone or while standing (or the fast rate that a Nikita missile could spin at).

That is possibly the most thoughtful feature of a recent 3D game I've heard of.

Personally, I was thinking that one day somebody would just make an achievement for "rotate X times in Y seconds".

nobinobita
667th Post

"Re(9):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Sat 26 Dec 11:40post reply

Thanks for the illuminating comments on FFXIII. I've come to trust the opinions on this board over any review sites out there. Thank you for actually discussing the game without automatically launching into a tirade about the stagnant state of Final Fantasy/JRPGs/All Japanese Games.

quote:
Whenever I play a game, I always make my character "dance". usually I accomplish this by running in circles, running left and right in rapid repetition, strafing or whatever. I assume this is a common practice, but maybe I'm the only one who does this.

Hehe Cool. I have always instinctively done this too.

Pollyanna
2814th Post

"Re(10):This year sucked (year in review)" , posted Sat 26 Dec 12:22post reply

quote:

I remember playing MGS and trying to determine what was the fastest possible rate that Snake could twirl around at, either in prone or while standing (or the fast rate that a Nikita missile could spin at).

Snake can spin SUPER FAST. Not really much of a "dance", but man can he spin!

quote:
Thank you for actually discussing the game without automatically launching into a tirade about the stagnant state of Final Fantasy/JRPGs/All Japanese Games.

No no, I'm the one who says "this American game looks okay, but I can't stand the ugly designs/jerky frame rate/first-person perspective".

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1261th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Come on 2010!" , posted Sat 26 Dec 14:30post reply

My only sincere hope for 2010 is that all the SSF4 character lists have contained a typo and Hakan is actually Hazzan. MESSATSU

Okay, no, my other hope is that when Continuum Shift comes home, lots of you get it for PS3 and play with me, mbisonhatclub and friends! I don't think I got to play with anyone from here other than Polly, though I remember trying with misantroop (Evenor?) a few times. This will not do. Also SSF4 will have lobbies, as much as I don't love SF4 I'll probably be picking it up. Maybe in 2010 I'll get a decent Xbox controller so I can play fighting games on that too!

Things to reply to!
quote:
reading Naruto degrades your family, your god and yourself

This is true! But it's also really, really funny. Watching Kishimoto lower the bar every week and stumble through more crap he made up a few days ago is amazing. If this guy has a plan for the series he sure hides it well. It's sad because the first two arcs were so good. Too bad that was so many years ago and there's really no reason to read it now other than to giggle at sharingan arms.
quote:
See Undead Fred and Shingo the One post again.

Have SFIII characters in SSFIV...hey, an internet idiot can have dreams too.

These are also things that I would like!
quote:

I just find myself turning them on a lot less. I still have a lot of fun when I do and I'm still okay at them, it's just that I don't feel the pull as strongly. MW2 was an exception, but most of the hours I logged were with a friend, taking turns playing online. I doubt I would have done it alone.
quote:
A few years back, I think it was labeled as a "homosexual gaming site", but lately it just feels like a "disenchanted aging gamer" forum.

Why can't it be both?
quote:
Personally, I was thinking that one day somebody would just make an achievement for "rotate X times in Y seconds".

You can make Big Boss throw up. That should be achievement enough for anyone.

Spoon
1866th Post

"Re(1):Come on 2010!" , posted Sun 27 Dec 08:00post reply

quote:

You can make Big Boss throw up. That should be achievement enough for anyone.

Yeah, but that one was EASY! All you had to do was hold the direction. High-speed spinning in the game requires you to go between the different directions really fast!

Evenor
705th Post

"Re(2):Come on 2010!" , posted Sun 27 Dec 14:26post reply

I absolutely loved climbing up/down ladders in FFVIII. That is sort of like "dancing" right!?

drink from me and live forever

Pollyanna
2816th Post

"Re(3):Come on 2010!" , posted Tue 29 Dec 06:34post reply

So what is everyone's "GAME OF THE YEAR"? (Or should that be a new topic?)

FFXIII is still going strong for me, but I'm afraid I have to give it to Bayonetta, which is so good, it almost doesn't seem fair.

I'm really really enjoying FFXIII, though. I keep waiting for it to start sucking, but I think I'm enjoying it more and more as it goes on and the system fleshes out.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Mako
374th Post

Silver Customer

"GOTY" , posted Tue 29 Dec 09:54post reply

I wonder what the kids here would do with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSiHjMU-MUo

Descarta

Mozex
394th Post

Silver Customer

"GOTY" , posted Tue 29 Dec 15:18post reply

I have to go with SF4 as it's the only game I bought that was released in 2009.

It desperately needs game lobbies like SC 4 and Blaz Blue - I was dumbfounded when they didn't include them in the multiplayer update.

Be kind to goblins.

badoor
101th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):GOTY" , posted Tue 29 Dec 15:28post reply

While I haven't decided on a GOTY yet, in the spirit of videogame websites making new wacky categories for GOTY, I can say that my favorite average game of the year was Bionic Commando.
The swinging mechanics were very fun to use and requires skill to master, just like the NES game. The levels might have been a bit restrictive and sectioned out a little bit too much (its funny how in the city part of the game you start at a garage, travel along the swinging across buildings and then reach another garage to load up the next section to do the same thing basically).
I'm sad that GRIN closed as I feel they are the most qualified to do the series justice with a BC2 or BC:ReArmed 2.

Mozex
396th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):GOTY" , posted Tue 29 Dec 15:37post reply

quote:
I'm sad that GRIN closed as I feel they are the most qualified to do the series justice with a BC2 or BC:ReArmed 2.

Had BC:ReArmed 2 been announced I'm sure my demand would have been described as "frothing" by video game journalists everywhere.

Be kind to goblins.

Iggy
9031th Post

"Re(3):GOTY" , posted Tue 29 Dec 21:54post reply

Let's see... Saga2 and HeartGold/SoulSilver are remakes so they don't really count, NSMBWii and Strange Journey were fun but not enough...

That leaves us with Demon's Souls and Bayonetta, and I think I spent slightly more time on the later than on the former (even though Bayo was released more than 6 month after DS). I think they both win, in the sense of "I'm happy some Japanese teams still manage to make good games that are at the same time completely Japanese and adapted to the current situation of the market and the industry", something I wouldn't say of FFXIII, for example.

Phoenix
926th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):GOTY" , posted Wed 30 Dec 07:12:post reply

Dragon Age is the GOTY for me. Granted that it was pretty rough around the edges but...
a memorable cast of characters is always the core of any well told story RPG and this one had plenty.

[this message was edited by Phoenix on Wed 30 Dec 07:19]

Nekros
207th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):GOTY" , posted Wed 30 Dec 22:38post reply

My GOTY is a top 3 gaming experience:

1) BlazBlue for being the first original fighter being released in HD on consoles
2) Wipeout HD Fury because improves a lot the great original game
3) Oboro Muramasa Youtoden because it reminds me what 2D is (art) and what is a game created when a classic or retro gameplay setting merges with modern technology (a blessing nowadays)

Spoon
1868th Post

"Re(6):GOTY" , posted Thu 31 Dec 05:34post reply

I didn't play many games this year, but the one which utterly impressed me in its combining of old and new into something fun and awesome was Half Minute Hero (or Yuusha 30).

I enjoyed Bionic Commando, but I would've been sore if I had to pay the full new game price for it, even as much as I love Bionic Commando.

Vanguard Princess is an extremely impressive fighting game, even though for many it suffers from the "I can't get past the character select screen" issue for many. The fact that it's free makes it the fighter with the best value of the year!

I'm worried that I'm already looking forward to Dark Void Zero on the DS next year just from a few screenshots.

Ishmael
3647th Post

"Re(3):This year didn't suck" , posted Thu 31 Dec 06:17post reply

quote:

Thanks for the information about FFXIII. It sounds like you spend a majority of the game sliding down a single, pretty line but that may not be a bad thing. Recently I've played several games that gave me a wealth of options in how I could approach the gameplay but in the end I realized all the games had given me was even more opportunities to screw up.

quote:
I think the former is hilarious and maybe truer than I might have thought though as for the latter, I'd say it's just a group of discerning critics---the Cafe is the arthouse movie theater of game talk, where people are actually interesting and where it's small enough that you can actually see how one person's personality (at least as represented here) relates to their tastes and impressions of this strange little hobby/art/entertainment.

The arthouse label isn't bad in and of itself but that mind-set can lead to a sense of ennui and unwarranted entitlement. Yes, we should do our best to be overly intellectual about our hobbies. But we should also write as if someone is waiting in the wings to hit us upside the head with a metal pipe, oil drum or some other beat'em up weapon if we get too full of ourselves. It would help keep us honest.

Speaking of the year in review, I realize that 2009 was the year I was able to perform a fatality on Superman. I still don't know what to make of that.

Pollyanna
2818th Post

"Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Thu 31 Dec 18:32post reply

I think if FFXIII has a good conclusion, it'll edge out Bayonetta for me. The game keeps getting better and better. It accomplishes something really impressive that I have to rant about.

The game is not especially cinema-intensive. There are no towns and you will often do several dungeons in a row with little dialogue in-between. However, the visuals are so immersive that they tell a story in themselves.

It doesn't hurt that the characters will talk to one another or make comments based on their environments...and certainly the music is wonderfully atmospheric...but more than that, you understand how the characters feel because you're feeling it with them. Even if you don't relate to their personal struggles, you feel the wonderment of visiting a new world, or the melancholy of searching through a long-deserted town. When you're up high and you look down, you feel dizzy.

I remember looking over a cliff into a massive valley (as I often do) and saying "wow" out loud. By coincidence, immediately afterward, Sahz said "It's beautiful, isn't it?" There are numerous similar scenes, but to mention them in specific would be a spoiler.

There are many non-cinema scenes I can look back on that have an emotional impact. I think that's one of the highest accomplishments that a game can hope to achieve.

quote:

Thanks for the information about FFXIII. It sounds like you spend a majority of the game sliding down a single, pretty line but that may not be a bad thing. Recently I've played several games that gave me a wealth of options in how I could approach the gameplay but in the end I realized all the games had given me was even more opportunities to screw up.

Oh no, you'll have plenty of opportunities to screw up in FFXIII with your equipment at least. For almost the entire game, there's no easy way to make money and resources are scarce. Choose to upgrade your weapons/accessories unwisely and you could definitely gimp yourself.

It's nice, though...having to make a choice...deciding how you want to build your team. I hate RPGs where you walk into a town and can easily buy the best of everything, then do the same thing 20 minutes later. What's the point?

In FFXIII, the sky is the limit when it comes to upgrading your equipment, but you really have to prioritize.

quote:
I didn't play many games this year, but the one which utterly impressed me in its combining of old and new into something fun and awesome was Half Minute Hero (or Yuusha 30).

Glad someone else enjoyed this! I'm still loving the soundtrack.

quote:

That leaves us with Demon's Souls and Bayonetta, and I think I spent slightly more time on the later than on the former (even though Bayo was released more than 6 month after DS). I think they both win, in the sense of "I'm happy some Japanese teams still manage to make good games that are at the same time completely Japanese and adapted to the current situation of the market and the industry", something I wouldn't say of FFXIII, for example.

I liked Demon's Souls and I appreciated its "traditional Western fantasy look", but I didn't appreciate its traditional Western From Software roughness around the edges. The game works great in the "normal" sword fights, but on some of the larger enemies there were too many times where I felt like I was fighting the system as much as the monster.

Still, I'm happy for all the positive publicity its received.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
669th Post

"Re(1):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Fri 1 Jan 02:00post reply

quote:
However, the visuals are so immersive that they tell a story in themselves.

Beautifully worded. You've just described my favorite thing about videogames (and comics, movies, TV shows, paintings etc).

quote:
Thanks for the information about FFXIII. It sounds like you spend a majority of the game sliding down a single, pretty line but that may not be a bad thing.

I have a feeling this game will be torn apart by the press for this very reason. It seems that alot of people WANT to hate this game. They will say things like, "this game is linear and that's bad" even though there's nothing inherently wrong with being linear. They will also say it's just the another non innovative JRPG, despite the fact that every Final Fantasy has a different cast, setting, story, theme and gameplay system (the differences between any 2 Final Fantasies are much more concrete than the differences between any two Halos). But I guess I should stop worrying about what other people think and just enjoy myself.

Anyway, I'm way more excited for FFXIII after hearing your impressions.

Iron D
3352th Post

"Re(2):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Fri 1 Jan 12:57post reply

quote:
However, the visuals are so immersive that they tell a story in themselves.

Beautifully worded. You've just described my favorite thing about videogames (and comics, movies, TV shows, paintings etc).

Thanks for the information about FFXIII. It sounds like you spend a majority of the game sliding down a single, pretty line but that may not be a bad thing.

I have a feeling this game will be torn apart by the press for this very reason. It seems that alot of people WANT to hate this game. They will say things like, "this game is linear and that's bad" even though there's nothing inherently wrong with being linear. They will also say it's just the another non innovative JRPG, despite the fact that every Final Fantasy has a different cast, setting, story, theme and gameplay system (the differences between any 2 Final Fantasies are much more concrete than the differences between any two Halos). But I guess I should stop worrying about what other people think and just enjoy myself.

Anyway, I'm way more excited for FFXIII after hearing your impressions.

I, on the other hand, am still skeptical. Seeing as Polly was one of the people who can't play a fighting game if they "can't get past the character select", I'm seeing that her praise is, again, based almost entirely on the aesthetics. What about the gameplay?

I mean, Chrono Cross is such a pretty game that I think it's still beautiful even compared to more modern games, but it still played like shit and was cumbersome as hell.

Er.....

Nekros
213th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Fri 1 Jan 19:46:post reply

I have one question: what is the "bishonen" factor in the game?
You know, FF8, FF9 and FF10 are full of crap because of the shojo-styled theme in the love story. The insecure girl meets a "cool", feminine boy who saves the world.
I simply hate this, I hate japanese johnnys and boys who aren't masculine at all, and hate shojo mangas as well. This thing in FF is simply awful, since most of girls in my country love FF for having boys who don't resemble men and this influences their attitude towards males in general.
(Italian girls are very very very simple-minded. Beware.)

So, FF13 is shojo-driven as usual?

[this message was edited by Nekros on Fri 1 Jan 19:48]

Pollyanna
2820th Post

"Re(3):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Fri 1 Jan 19:53:post reply

EDIT: Reply to Nekros' question after my huge rant.

quote:

I, on the other hand, am still skeptical. Seeing as Polly was one of the people who can't play a fighting game if they "can't get past the character select", I'm seeing that her praise is, again, based almost entirely on the aesthetics. What about the gameplay?

I mean, Chrono Cross is such a pretty game that I think it's still beautiful even compared to more modern games, but it still played like shit and was cumbersome as hell.

It's more than just "pretty", though. It does something with its visuals. Like Shadow of the Collosus is a great-looking game, but it's the presentation that makes it so strong. In FFXIII, it's not just that the environments look pretty, it's how they were designed and how they are presented as well.

Similarly, with the expressions that the character's make...sure, the renders look nice, but it's the thought behind those expressions that matter...and the grace of their execution. It's different than just looking pretty vs looking ugly, it's a feeling that permeates the entire game.

From a gameplay perspective...I think it's going to be hit or miss for a lot of people. And I'll try to be fair about this, so my opinion may be a bit more trustworthy.

If you aren't into the visuals at all...if you're just looking at the mini map while you're going through dungeons, you're probably going to feel bored. There are wonderful sights to see and wonderful things to explore, but they require attention from the player. I've found something meaningful in the minute details where there is less complexity in the "maze" design. The environments feel real...like you're moving through a real location. For better or worse, they do not feel like mazes.

The battle system is one of my favorites in any RPG...I like the high speed and the sort of "flow" where your characters switch "roles" (like jobs) at the push of a button to reflect the changing tide of battle. Building up and pushing towards a crushing offense is very gratifying. Seeing your damage climb from 100 to 99999 for the big finish never gets old.

To me, setting up quick-change roles (powering up at the start of battle, changing to defensive roles when things get ugly, pushing to offensive roles when you have an opening) is engaging and exciting. On the other hand, I felt like FFXII's gambit system was interchangeably too "hands on" (setting up complex gambits felt like solving a math problem) and too "hands off" (once you set them up, the game took care of itself).

However, other players may feel frustrated by the lack of specific control of their characters. It's not like having one player character with two AI dimwits, but it's not like old-school FF either. (Still, the battles are way more like the older games' than 12's were.)

Nearly every system in the game takes a "streamlined" approach, where you have control and customization, but in a relatively simple way. I don't think there's anything shallow about it, though. You can choose from a decent variety of weapons (all uniquely useful) and accessories that can all be upgraded and transformed into different accessories. Although your "job" paths for each character are fairly straightforward, your choice of equipment can significantly alter how those characters are played. Also, the chemistry between each combination of characters is different, so it can be enjoyable to mix it up from time to time.

Although I personally feel that every system in the game is strong, there is one huge downside that will almost certainly prevent me from replaying the game.

They introduce the systems to you very gradually, and it's not until fairly late in the game that all of your options become available. By the time you can do everything, the game is phenomenal, but before then, it's only exciting because you don't know any better. I can't imagine going back to the beginning of the game after playing the end. I feel like it would be terribly boring. Going through the first time, I was just learning the basics bit by bit...but after you already know everything, how can you go back?

The first half of the game is very limited in that respect. It's not boring, but you're very much on tracks. You can't really level up or save up money...you can't go back anywhere...you just push forward and push forward. The result is that it's a fairly balanced and fast-paced experience, but it's not much like what you would expect from an RPG, either.

Later, there are tons of sidequests, huge areas to get lost in and plenty of optional pseudo-bosses to challenge yourself with. Still, this is very separate from the core experience.

In the end, I have no doubt that this game is very good at what it does. However, what it has to offer and what its audience wants may not be the same thing. You have to be flexible in your expectations from both Final Fantasy and RPGs in general to enjoy the game. It certainly made some polarizing decisions (no towns!), but outside of its lack of replayability, I don't think anything in the game is "bad", just "not necessarily for everyone."

quote:
So, FF13 is shojo-driven as usual?

Ermmm...maybe? Cid is STUPIDLY hot in a totally pandering way and Hope is pretty much the ultimate cute little boy, but there's a lot of really tough girls and implied lesbianism too...? Snow is pretty off-beat for a leading FF guy. He's loud, stupid and obnoxious in a beer-guzzling manly kind of way. I usually refer to him as "Super Bro" or "The Ultimate Bro". Also, although he's impossibly hot under his hobo gear, it's in a non-traditional FF way. Obviously Sahz totally breaks the mold, too.

There is a prominent love story in the game, but it's not between the main characters. Think like...FFX if Yuna and Tidus didn't fall in love and Tidus was fighting to get back home to his girlfriend.

I don't know...the game does have a sort of "shoujo" feel, but not quite in the same way as the previous games. Maybe like Rose of Versailles or something? Hahah...I don't know. I really wasn't ready for this question.

*sigh* I want Lightning to be my prince. She can carry me away on her Transformer Horse any day.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Fri 1 Jan 20:12]

Iron D
3353th Post

"Re(4):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Fri 1 Jan 21:00post reply

quote:
EDIT: Reply to Nekros' question after my huge rant.

It's more than just "pretty", though. It does something with its visuals. Like Shadow of the Collosus is a great-looking game, but it's the presentation that makes it so strong. In FFXIII, it's not just that the environments look pretty, it's how they were designed and how they are presented as well.

Similarly, with the expressions that the character's make...sure, the renders look nice, but it's the thought behind those expressions that matter...and the grace of their execution. It's different than just looking pretty vs looking ugly, it's a feeling that permeates the entire game.

From a gameplay perspective...I think it's going to be hit or miss for a lot of people. And I'll try to be fair about this, so my opinion may be a bit more trustworthy.

If you aren't into the visuals at all...if you're just looking at the mini map while you're going through dungeons, you're probably going to feel bored. There are wonderful sights to see and wonderful things to explore, but they require attention from the player. I've found something meaningful in the minute details where there is less complexity in the "maze" design. The environments feel real...like you're moving through a real location. For better or worse, they do not feel like mazes.

The battle system is one of my favorites in any RPG...I like the high speed and the sort of "flow" where your characters switch "roles" (like jobs) at the push of a button to reflect the changing tide of battle. Building up and pushing towards a crushing offense is very gratifying. Seeing your damage climb from 100 to 99999 for the big finish never gets old.

To me, setting up quick-change roles (powering up at the start of battle, changing to defensive roles when things get ugly, pushing to offensive roles when you have an opening) is engaging and exciting. On the other hand, I felt like FFXII's gambit system was interchangeably too "hands on" (setting up complex gambits felt like solving a math problem) and too "hands off" (once you set them up, the game took care of itself).

However, other players may feel frustrated by the lack of specific control of their characters. It's not like having one player character with two AI dimwits, but it's not like old-school FF either. (Still, the battles are way more like the older games' than 12's were.)

Nearly every system in the game takes a "streamlined" approach, where you have control and customization, but in a relatively simple way. I don't think there's anything shallow about it, though. You can choose from a decent variety of weapons (all uniquely useful) and accessories that can all be upgraded and transformed into different accessories. Although your "job" paths for each character are fairly straightforward, your choice of equipment can significantly alter how those characters are played. Also, the chemistry between each combination of characters is different, so it can be enjoyable to mix it up from time to time.

Although I personally feel that every system in the game is strong, there is one huge downside that will almost certainly prevent me from replaying the game.

They introduce the systems to you very gradually, and it's not until fairly late in the game that all of your options become available. By the time you can do everything, the game is phenomenal, but before then, it's only exciting because you don't know any better. I can't imagine going back to the beginning of the game after playing the end. I feel like it would be terribly boring. Going through the first time, I was just learning the basics bit by bit...but after you already know everything, how can you go back?

The first half of the game is very limited in that respect. It's not boring, but you're very much on tracks. You can't really level up or save up money...you can't go back anywhere...you just push forward and push forward. The result is that it's a fairly balanced and fast-paced experience, but it's not much like what you would expect from an RPG, either.

Later, there are tons of sidequests, huge areas to get lost in and plenty of optional pseudo-bosses to challenge yourself with. Still, this is very separate from the core experience.

In the end, I have no doubt that this game is very good at what it does. However, what it has to offer and what its audience wants may not be the same thing. You have to be flexible in your expectations from both Final Fantasy and RPGs in general to enjoy the game. It certainly made some polarizing decisions (no towns!), but outside of its lack of replayability, I don't think anything in the game is "bad", just "not necessarily for everyone."

Hrmmm....sounds....interesting. Sounds like I'd have to play it to know for sure if I'd like it or not.

Here's a question: does each character feel unique? One of the things I did not like about...say...FFVIII or X was how you could pretty much make any character do anything. You kind of implied that XIII's battle system did that as well.

I prefer VI, VII and IX for the fact that each character was unique and had abilities that were unique, thus making me want to take the time for them to improve.

Er.....

Iggy
9034th Post

"Re(4):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Fri 1 Jan 21:55post reply

quote:
Snow is pretty off-beat for a leading FF guy. He's loud, stupid and obnoxious in a beer-guzzling manly kind of way. I usually refer to him as "Super Bro" or "The Ultimate Bro". Also, although he's impossibly hot under his hobo gear, it's in a non-traditional FF way.

Never has a man nipple been so precisely crafted in any videogame ever.

Pollyanna
2821th Post

"Re(5):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Sat 2 Jan 05:43post reply

Note: I am intentionally avoiding using the official terminology for the game in all of these posts to avoid confusion.

quote:

Here's a question: does each character feel unique? One of the things I did not like about...say...FFVIII or X was how you could pretty much make any character do anything. You kind of implied that XIII's battle system did that as well.

I prefer VI, VII and IX for the fact that each character was unique and had abilities that were unique, thus making me want to take the time for them to improve.

The characters are customizable, but unique within those customizations.

I mean, the characters are more unique than VII, that's for sure. In VII, I had a team of three attacker-healer-mages. No character could do anything much better than the others.

In XIII, each character has three main "jobs". No two characters have the same set. Some are hybrid characters (Lightning is attacker/healer/mage) and some are polarized (Hope is mage/healer/buffer). At the end of the game, you can try to make Hope into an attacker, but he'll never be good at it. Even characters that have hybrid classes are unique about them. For example, if you want to do magic with Fang (I can't imagine why, though), she is a debuffer. Some of those spells can be used for damage, but they're like...curses and such. Not normal elemental magic.

Even when characters share a class, they learn different moves. For example, Sahz's buff spells are offense-based (haste, attack up, adding elemental damage to a weapon), while Hope's are defense-based (defense up, elemental defense). For that reason, I used Sahz for most of the game. Hope eventually does learn attack up and haste, but he never learns the different elemental buffs, just how Sahz never learns the elemental defenses.

Also, each character has a unique summon with totally unique attacks and animations related to it.

I hope this all makes sense. I'm trying to be thorough without rambling too much.

And...

quote:

No kidding.

I kind of wish more people had taken their shirts off, even if it resulted in "the most precisely crafted middle aged black man chest hair in any videogame ever."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
1870th Post

"Re(5):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Sat 2 Jan 05:52post reply

quote:

This is a watershed in addressing the uncanny valley of areola.

kofoguz
806th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Sat 2 Jan 08:46post reply

quote:
Snow is pretty off-beat for a leading FF guy. He's loud, stupid and obnoxious in a beer-guzzling manly kind of way. I usually refer to him as "Super Bro" or "The Ultimate Bro". Also, although he's impossibly hot under his hobo gear, it's in a non-traditional FF way.

I liked this start of a new tradition. Hooray!

And Polly stop telling embroidering FFXII experience so very well torturing me.

Maou
1883th Post

"Re(5):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Sat 2 Jan 15:39:post reply

Good questions, IronD, and I get this feeling below too, except:
quote:
I prefer VI, !!VII!! and IX for the fact that each character was unique and had abilities that were unique

VII???? There's not a speck of uniqueness to those characters unless you count limit breaks, and if that's the case, then clearly VIII would win out as more unique given that limit breaks are meant to occur all the time in the latter, no?

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 2 Jan 15:44]

Toxico
4828th Post

"Re(6):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Sat 2 Jan 16:03post reply

quote:

VII???? There's not a speck of uniqueness to those characters unless you count limit breaks, and if that's the case, then clearly VIII would win out as more unique given that limit breaks are meant to occur all the time in the latter, no?

Even then most limits break did nothing but hitting once or several times for 10000 - 1 damage under different pseudo cinemas. I really disliked most post snes era FF games in the sense that the games have "much of everything", and that usually meant that if you played around enough with the game (I did) the characters will end up being mainly the same (takes a piss in the sphere grid system). There are some really good, strict cases, like FFV or FFT where even if characters could have access to the very same skills, equipment wise you couldn't afford to having them exactly the same.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Iron D
3356th Post

"Re(6):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Sat 2 Jan 20:51post reply

quote:
Good questions, IronD, and I get this feeling below too, except:I prefer VI, !!VII!! and IX for the fact that each character was unique and had abilities that were unique

Both you and Polly are correct on this. It's been a while, but thinking back on it now, the characters weren't that different outside of limit breaks. Damn rose-tinted glasses.

I just don't seem to recall the materia system working the same way as say...X's sphere grid as far as making it so that any character could basically do anything they wanted rather than each having their own abilities. However, I'm willing to admit that my nostalgia may be warping my view here.

Damn....been a while since I played VII.

Er.....

Nekros
215th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Sat 2 Jan 22:53:post reply

it is true about the Sphere Grid, but each character was unique in the beginning since they have a different start point on the path. Also, abilities are influenced A LOT in the initial part of the Sphere Gird (ie: Rikku is a "thief", Auron a "warrior", Lulu a "mage", etc.).
FFXIII is similar in this, right?

[this message was edited by Nekros on Sat 2 Jan 22:53]

Maou
1884th Post

"Re(7):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Sun 3 Jan 04:56:post reply

quote:

I just don't seem to recall the materia system working the same way as say...X's sphere grid as far as making it so that any character could basically do anything they wanted rather than each having their own abilities.

Good deal...may be worth taking a look back at VII to see that it's guaranteed to create the most generic of all parties---remember how Materia could be equipped on anyone, with no restraints? Aside from a few different starting stats and different weapons, no one in VII is the tiniest bit different from one another outside of limits. At least VIII reimagined the limits as regular occurances (unique, FFVI-type personal abilities), and the Sphere Board after all does start each character in a different place with different spell access---like, Tidus is nowhere near the cure spells Yuna will have at the start. I'd call it the best compromise between unique abilities and an open system since VI.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 3 Jan 04:57]

Time Mage
2783th Post

"Re(7):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Sun 3 Jan 05:13post reply

quote:
There are some really good, strict cases, like FFV or FFT where even if characters could have access to the very same skills, equipment wise you couldn't afford to having them exactly the same.

Or FFXII, where everyone can learn everything, but how you customize them (equipment and gambits) makes them useful in 1-2 roles at most. I can make a scary "multi hit berserk masamune slicing machine" that is an inept at doing anything other than phisical damage, or a impregnable tank that always has the enemy attention and receives the lowest damage, but doesn't do really good damage, or the ultimate "plow through dungeons one shotting groups of enemies with the correct elemental magic" that can't take a hit or do any kind of physical damage.

The problem is when everyone can do everything at the same time. when you have the option to do everything, but you have to choose your role... Well, that's awesome, in my opinion.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Pollyanna
2822th Post

"Re(8):Holy crap I love FFXIII" , posted Sun 3 Jan 05:32post reply

quote:
it is true about the Sphere Grid, but each character was unique in the beginning since they have a different start point on the path. Also, abilities are influenced A LOT in the initial part of the Sphere Gird (ie: Rikku is a "thief", Auron a "warrior", Lulu a "mage", etc.).
FFXIII is similar in this, right?

Yes and no. In FFX you were all on the same sphere grid, in FFXIII, each character has their own...or rather, they have a set of their own, each dealing with a different job. They all start with 3 main jobs. You unlock the other jobs for them later, but the "sphere grids" they get for those jobs aren't as good as the ones the other characters have.

Although some characters can be similar if you work at it, each character is absolutely unique, even if they share the same jobs. Some characters in some classes share numerous moves, but no character has the same set.

Also, as Time Mage put it...

quote:
Or FFXII, where everyone can learn everything, but how you customize them (equipment and gambits) makes them useful in 1-2 roles at most.

Although the characters are more unique, FFXIII is a bit like this as well. Each weapon is highly specialized, so you have to choose between being well-rounded or extremely powerful in one role. Also, since you switch jobs frequently and on the fly, you don't have different equipment sets for each job.

I hope this finally makes sense now?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食