VVVVVV - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1876 Views )

Arngrim
356th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Customer

"VVVVVV" , posted Wed 9 Dec 10:03post reply

I don't know how into the indie game scene you fellow café members are, but I'd like to draw your attention to a recent project which has positively impressed me.

Indie game developer Terry Cavanagh, best known for his allegorical retro side-scroller Don't look back, inspired by the classical myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, and his contundent Pathways, is currently developing VVVVVV, a game paying tribute to Spectrum ZX and 8-bit golden era, which has received much appraisal from different sites.

He boldy decided to make this project shareware as he is trying to make a living from his talent. However, much to his distress, the beta for his game seems to have been leaked on a very popular site.

This raises several questions about to which extent this is positive or negative, being all together an ambivalent metaphor of success and a sardonic milestone in his career as a developer, which I hope does not depress him.

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one that put you into the desert.

Replies:

Toxico
4811th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Override : Mega man 10" , posted Thu 10 Dec 17:04:post reply

The current lack of an active random thread forces me to take over the ship.

pic

I kick sheeps for fun.

unrelated and spoilerish BUT my brain needed it

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Translation txt currently off line.

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 13 as of 23/11/09

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 10 Dec 17:38]

Loona
287th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Override : Mega man 10" , posted Thu 10 Dec 19:43post reply

quote:

pic

I almost love how they bothered to provide artwork that diverges so much from the conventional look of the characters, just like box art from when the first games were released.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Toxico
4812th Post

"Sky Stage" , posted Thu 10 Dec 23:11:post reply

I checked the site last night, but it's amazing how can info change with only 5 hours of not caring.

prolog game info

Prolog game per se , click on the SD picture that says "start". Hearing kurae or moero with every click does not make wonders to my already bad mental image of Kyo.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Last update : Chapter 13 as of 23/11/09

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 10 Dec 23:13]

Ishmael
3634th Post

"Re(1):Sky Stage" , posted Fri 11 Dec 10:45post reply

quote:
I checked the site last night, but it's amazing how can info change with only 5 hours of not caring.

prolog game info

Prolog game per se , click on the SD picture that says "start". Hearing kurae or moero with every click does not make wonders to my already bad mental image of Kyo.

Wow, KoF:Skystage is getting more of a promotional push than I thought it would. Good for it even if I do suspect it's just preaching to the converted.

Speaking of games with fanatical followings, Yakuza 3 has been confirmed for Western release. I may be the only person in my town who buys the game but I know I'm going to love it.

Maou
1872th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Sky Stage" , posted Sat 12 Dec 18:55post reply

quote:

Speaking of games with fanatical followings, Yakuza 3 has been confirmed for Western release. I may be the only person in my town who buys the game but I know I'm going to love it.

Relatedly off-topic, I've always been dying to play the Ryuu Ga Gotoku series because I loved Shenmue to death, but could I reasonably start with 3, or would I need to go in order to enjoy it?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Toxico
4813th Post

"Re(3):Sky Stage" , posted Sun 13 Dec 03:35:post reply

quote:

Relatedly off-topic, I've always been dying to play the Ryuu Ga Gotoku series because I loved Shenmue to death, but could I reasonably start with 3, or would I need to go in order to enjoy it?

For what I heard, 1 and 2 are more or less closely related sharing locations, motives and characters; but the 3rd is more or less of a gaiden story as the game takes place after the main tried to reset his life in hokkaido, or something.

Oh, and whether you play 1, 2 or 3; you'll fell like playing the rest of the series as well, believe me.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Last update : Chapter 14 as of 11/12/09

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sun 13 Dec 06:25]

sfried
444th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Sky Stage" , posted Sun 13 Dec 08:09post reply

quote:

prolog game info

Why is TwinBee music suddenly popping in my head everytime I see the promotional banner ad?

mbisonhatclub
133th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Sky Stage" , posted Sun 13 Dec 11:48post reply

quote:
Why is TwinBee music suddenly popping in my head everytime I see the promotional banner ad?

ツインビー行きます~

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

hikarutilmitt
520th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Sky Stage" , posted Mon 14 Dec 01:38post reply

quote:

prolog game info

Am I the only one who thinks this looks like they just did a sprite/model edit to Shikigami no Shiro? In the screenshots under the character pages the stages look EXACTLY like the ones in 2.

Ishmael
3638th Post

"Re(4):Sky Stage" , posted Mon 14 Dec 04:54post reply

quote:

For what I heard, 1 and 2 are more or less closely related sharing locations, motives and characters; but the 3rd is more or less of a gaiden story as the game takes place after the main tried to reset his life in hokkaido, or something.

Oh, and whether you play 1, 2 or 3; you'll fell like playing the rest of the series as well, believe me.

I agree with Toxico. While you could conceivably skip around in the order of the games, once you get into the groove of having Kazuma solve the world's problems by beating the hell out of street thugs you're probably going to want to enjoy the entire series.

While on this subject, has anyone seen Miike's film adaptation of the game? Yes, I know there's never been a good video game movie. But considering how often the games go off in random, bizarre directions, Miike's bouts of attention deficiency might make him a good match for the material in spirit if not in form.

Baines
253th Post

Copper Customer

"Yakuza/Ryuu ga Gotoku" , posted Mon 14 Dec 07:27post reply

quote:
For what I heard, 1 and 2 are more or less closely related sharing locations, motives and characters;

Well, yes. They pretty much reused every single asset created for 1 in 2, even recycling some of the video cutscenes. With that much reuse, you are going to end up closely related. Yakuza 2 feels a lot like a downloadable scenario pack.

The question I have is whether or not Yakuza 3 is a new game, or did they just do as little as possible in recreating the 1/2 engine on the PS3? Yakuza 1 and 2 are pretty fun, but are also annoyingly limited at times.

Toxico
4814th Post

"Re(1):Yakuza/Ryuu ga Gotoku" , posted Mon 14 Dec 08:02post reply

quote:

The question I have is whether or not Yakuza 3 is a new game, or did they just do as little as possible in recreating the 1/2 engine on the PS3?

For what I heard engine wise the game inherits characteristics from the previous one, along the usual sequels beef up; but besides that supposedly the game is at least twice as big as the previous one in the location and mini game department.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Last update : Chapter 14 as of 11/12/09

Spoon
1861th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Sky Stage" , posted Mon 14 Dec 10:46post reply

quote:

Maese
553th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Sky Stage" , posted Mon 14 Dec 16:33post reply

quote:

While on this subject, has anyone seen Miike's film adaptation of the game? Yes, I know there's never been a good video game movie. But considering how often the games go off in random, bizarre directions, Miike's bouts of attention deficiency might make him a good match for the material in spirit if not in form.

I watched it a few years ago, and found it rather enjoyable. I tend to see Miike as a man of extremes: a guy who can pull off the most unwatchable crap you would imagine, but who can also deliver some absolute postmodern masterpieces. Strangely enough, this Ryuu ga Gotoku falls in the middle of the spectrum. Not the greatest movie ever, but a good way to spend 2 hours indeed. It is a bit far from what you would expect from your random japanese mafia flick, but it works pretty well overall.

Not having played the games I cannot tell how faithful to the original sources it is, but surely it's worth to give it a chance. There are quite a few memorable scenes and lovable characters on it. Special mention to the thug who spends most of his screen time yelling "Kiryuu chan...!" while practising his baseball swing with the protagonist's temples.