Console Flight Sim Discussion (Ace Combat +) - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1833 Views )

Burning Ranger
1622th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Console Flight Sim Discussion (Ace Combat +)" , posted Tue 24 Nov 07:30post reply

I finished Ace Combat 6's story mode yesterday. I hadn't played a modern-ish military flight sim in a while, and while it would be interesting to play through the SP mode, I'm thinking a new experience might be in order.

I'm thinking of getting AC4 and AC5, since I hear good things about them, but I'm also considering HAWX to stay in the current generation. Also, Project Sylpheed is under consideration for it's sci-fi element.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Replies:

Ebisumaru
13th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Console Flight Sim Discussion (Ace Comb" , posted Thu 26 Nov 11:37post reply

Ace Combat 4 brings the storyline in simple cutscenes (cool storyline nevertheless) while Ace Combat 5 has a darker, more serious tone and the story is presented by FMVs and a LOT of radio chat. Plot-wise, I'd recommend AC5, because it's somehow easier to get attached to the characters, but be aware that if you're looking for something else after finishing the campaign, maybe it's a good idea to stick with AC4. While AC5 has a bare-bones "Arcade Mode" with Mobius-1 from AC4, it lacks any kind of multiplayer.

Also, if you want your actions having some impact on the story, your enemies in Ace Combat Zero will react accordingly to your reputation (built by your actions in the game) and some cutscenes will be different too.

Burning Ranger
1623th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Console Flight Sim Discussion (Ace Comb" , posted Sat 28 Nov 08:27post reply

quote:
Ace Combat 4 brings the storyline in simple cutscenes (cool storyline nevertheless) while Ace Combat 5 has a darker, more serious tone and the story is presented by FMVs and a LOT of radio chat. Plot-wise, I'd recommend AC5, because it's somehow easier to get attached to the characters, but be aware that if you're looking for something else after finishing the campaign, maybe it's a good idea to stick with AC4. While AC5 has a bare-bones "Arcade Mode" with Mobius-1 from AC4, it lacks any kind of multiplayer.

Also, if you want your actions having some impact on the story, your enemies in Ace Combat Zero will react accordingly to your reputation (built by your actions in the game) and some cutscenes will be different too.

Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered AC5 and I'll track down a copy of AC4 as well. I hear that each of the games don't necessarily tie into each other, even though they exist on the same universe (alternate Earth). It's a good thing because I'll probably not play the games sequentially.

I'm hoping the experience in AC4 and AC5 lives up to AC6's. I loved AC6's presentation (the dramatic music, all of the chatter, etc) and the gameplay. The story is important too, but I liked AC6's "Gordon Freeman" approach: you play a character but you never speak, nor do the supporting characters give you a lot of details (leaving a lot of blanks you can fill in yourself), and you get to play a role in a bigger outside story. .

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

sfried
476th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Console Flight Sim Discussion (Ace Comb" , posted Fri 12 Feb 15:54post reply

I got that Sky Crawlers game made by the Project Aces team. It's pretty short but also pretty good and very cheap.

Maou
1912th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Console Flight Sim Discussion (Ace Comb" , posted Sat 13 Feb 03:01post reply

quote:
I finished Ace Combat 6's story mode yesterday. I hadn't played a modern-ish military flight sim in a while,
I'm going to say IKARUGA, but that's becuase I have very distinct ideas about what a modern military should look like.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Maese
563th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Console Flight Sim Discussion (Ace Comb" , posted Sat 13 Feb 22:24post reply

I loved the saga with a passion back in the old PSX days, but lost its track around Ace Combat 3... I have the feeling I've asked this before, but anyway: what about the music on these latest installments? Did Namco follow with the melodic rock trend? I really digged those soundtracks back in the day.

Burning Ranger
1637th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Console Flight Sim Discussion (Ace Comb" , posted Mon 15 Feb 01:10post reply

quote:
I loved the saga with a passion back in the old PSX days, but lost its track around Ace Combat 3... I have the feeling I've asked this before, but anyway: what about the music on these latest installments? Did Namco follow with the melodic rock trend? I really digged those soundtracks back in the day.

The only game I'm familiar with is AC6, which IMHO has fantastic music. I don't think there's anything like Top Gun music--there's plenty of dramatic BGMs--combination of orchestral and modern-- that add to the mood of the game. "Invasion of Gracemeria" and "Fires of Liberation" are my favorite songs.

So much to do so little time...

Maese
574th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Console Flight Sim Discussion (Ace Comb" , posted Tue 2 Mar 18:28post reply

The new Ace Combat announced for PSP seems nice so far:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/1002/game100226c.shtml

It resembles the early installments of the series quite a lot, which is a great point in my book. And you can't go wrong having bombing missions over a real scale Tokyo. If the developers are tactful enough maybe you'd even be able to blow that friggin' tower up!

Burning Ranger
1642th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Joint Assault thoughts - Plus AC 4 &5 Thought" , posted Fri 5 Mar 01:39post reply

quote:
The new Ace Combat announced for PSP seems nice so far:

http://www.the-magicbox.com/1002/game100226c.shtml

I didn't even know Magic Box was still around... That site used to be good, but I've moved on to different sources for my gaming intel long ago.

I don't know what to think about Joint Assault. The reason is because I come from a military background--I was the child of a US Air Force member and I work for the Military Industrial Complex (that's all you'll get out of me! heh heh).

I liked the "alternate reality" Earth of the other AC games because you don't have to worry about how different countries (fake ones, BTW) have certain aircraft (like how the Russia-stand ins have F-16s, F-22s, and B-52s or how the good guys have MiGs and SU-33s in addition to NATO aircraft). In the JA trailer, there was a clip of a B-52 getting shot down. Because the game is set in a "real world" environment, I interpret it as someone shooting down a USAF plane (since they're the only one in our real world who uses the plane). I'm not against this of course, but there would have to be some good explanation that will allow me to suspend my disbelief.

This is also why I'm a little annoyed at Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer--how the hell do insurgents get access to Harriers, AC-130s, and Predator's? Sure, I know it's multiplayer and doesn't really happen in the single player campaign, but having been around military most of my life, it is a little annoying.

I haven't tried the PSP Ace Combat games yet...I might do so one of these days.

Also, I recently finished the campaigns in both AC4 and AC5...it was good to actually see how the series has evolved over time. Especially liked AC5...deeper more engaging story and good music, though I was annoyed at some of the missions. I'd like to try Zero, but I think I'll give the genre a break while I play other games.

So much to do so little time...