Fumiko no kokuhaku - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1379 Views )

Gojira
2562th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Fumiko no kokuhaku" , posted Sat 14 Nov 21:28post reply

What crazy times we live in when one person can produce something that looks like this.

Yes it's partly dumb and full of unnecessary pantsu but still, wow.

shipoopi

Replies:

Digitalboy
667th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Fumiko no kokuhaku" , posted Sun 15 Nov 09:33post reply

That is some great animation and flow of the scenes. This is a prime example of a good animation short.
quote:
What crazy times we live in when one person can produce something that looks like this.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

sfried
437th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Fumiko no kokuhaku" , posted Sun 15 Nov 13:20post reply

quote:

I thought the person actually got some help with this piece, and yeah, too much moemoe going on...

Maese
548th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Fumiko no kokuhaku" , posted Sun 15 Nov 13:29post reply

Personally I found this little piece adorable and pretty well done. But since in animation issues I lack the background to state anything deeper than the customary "like it/don't like it", I'm curious to know our resident expert Nobita's thoughts on it.

Toxico
4801th Post

"Re(1):Fumiko no kokuhaku" , posted Wed 18 Nov 03:05:post reply

quote:
but still, wow.

A similar feeling struck me when I saw this some months ago. I haven't properly traced it to see if it was a 'one man' job.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Txt currently off line.

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 10 as of 23/11/09

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 18 Nov 03:07]

nobinobita
651th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Fumiko no kokuhaku" , posted Wed 18 Nov 09:48post reply

quote:
Personally I found this little piece adorable and pretty well done. But since in animation issues I lack the background to state anything deeper than the customary "like it/don't like it", I'm curious to know our resident expert Nobita's thoughts on it.

: D

You don't need a background in animation to express your feelings. All that matters is that you're sincere.

Which is what I really like about Fumiko No Kokuhaku, it is full of sincerity. It's short, sweet and packed with visual interest in every frame (without being busy or overwhelming). I enjoy the simple premise and its complete commitment to the visual gags.

The animation is FANTASTIC. It's technically excellent. It's got great solid drawings, great weight, great lines of action, great direction, great color theory, great acting (this is an example of exaggerated funny faces done right) but more importantly it has a unique personal touch to it.

It has a virtuoso Richard Williams (Thief and the Cobbler, Roger Rabbit) feel to it. I think it may have been influenced by FLCL (obviously), MindGame (particularly the last sprinting sequence) and that scene from Castle of Cagliostro where Lupin messes up pole vaulting across the roofs and just has to keep running.

Also, I don't mind the panty shots. They are the most sincere (I'm completely serious about this) panty shots I've seen in a long time. They have an early 90s feeling to them (think Blue Seed). They work with the action and heighten the character's sense of fear and embarrassment. It's a nice garnish on the piece, rather than the central focus.

I'm especially impressed (and jealous) that this piece was produced (with limited help) by a single 21 year old student. Fumiko no Kokuhaku is every bit as good as anything I've seen from Gobelin, which is widely regarded as the best animation school in the world.

It's a very nice short. There's alot to admire in it.

Gojira
2563th Post

"Re(4):Fumiko no kokuhaku" , posted Wed 18 Nov 12:39post reply

Yeah he had help with some of the 3D elements, but overall this guy did most of it himself.

quote:

Also, I don't mind the panty shots. They are the most sincere (I'm completely serious about this) panty shots I've seen in a long time. They have an early 90s feeling to them (think Blue Seed). They work with the action and heighten the character's sense of fear and embarrassment. It's a nice garnish on the piece, rather than the central focus.

I sort of agree with this and sort of don't. Personally I think it was more for comedic effect, which is not entirely sincere but better than the outright perversion that tends to be the only reason for it these days. The very last part kind of proves it, I mean even with the guy's head in the foreground they still manage to show.

The rest I agree with 100% though.

Also I think it deserves bonus points for the soundtrack. Even though the music obviously wasn't written for this piece, the timing and editing is so spot-on you'd think it was. The slide cut was just perfect.

shipoopi