Madrid - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1326 Views )

Iggy
9008th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Madrid" , posted Tue 3 Nov 19:29post reply

I'm unexpectedly flying to Madrid in a few days.
Current goals are:

1) Spend a few hours in adoration in front of Saturn at the Prado
2) get out of there without even looking at the other paintings
3) walk aimlessly 14 hours a day, and hopefully get lost forever.

I don't remember if some of our Spanish residents are from there...? Time Mage, if he still lurks around?

Replies:

Maese
539th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Madrid" , posted Tue 3 Nov 23:11post reply

Madrid is a disgusting city, so I'd suggest you remain inside the walls of El Prado as much time as you can. You'll be safe and warm there and, more importantly, will be surrounded by art and beauty. Once you venture again across the roaming streets of Madrid you won't be seeing much beauty, I tell you. You'll probably be surrounded by a wide array of things, but beauty is not among them.

Anyway, if you still want to get lost, try to drop by Chueca, Malasaņa or La Latina, specially by night. They're the cool spots there, or so I've been told... but probably they won't be that appelaing for a guy used to parisian and londonian nightlifes.

Honestly, in my opinion, the only good thing about Madrid is that it's really near (like 1 hour?) to Toledo and, above all, Segovia. If you really have time to spare, ride the train and spend some quality time getting lost in Segovia. It's like going back in time to the 1st, 13th, 16th and 19th centuries, all in one place.

Time Mage
2777th Post

"Re(2):Madrid" , posted Wed 4 Nov 07:07post reply

Yeah, I'm not too fond of Madrid, either. Being a big city, it has lots of places to go, but as a city, it lacks any charm at all.

And no, I'm not from Madrid, I'm from Granada, which is the most beautiful city in Spain, and I'm being "totally" objective >_>

And yeah, I still lurk, and post once every full moon.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

HAYATO
952th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Madrid" , posted Wed 4 Nov 07:32post reply

quote:
Madrid is a disgusting city, so I'd suggest you remain inside the walls of El Prado as much time as you can. You'll be safe and warm there and, more importantly, will be surrounded by art and beauty. Once you venture again across the roaming streets of Madrid you won't be seeing much beauty, I tell you. You'll probably be surrounded by a wide array of things, but beauty is not among them.

Anyway, if you still want to get lost, try to drop by Chueca, Malasaņa or La Latina, specially by night. They're the cool spots there, or so I've been told... but probably they won't be that appelaing for a guy used to parisian and londonian nightlifes.

Honestly, in my opinion, the only good thing about Madrid is that it's really near (like 1 hour?) to Toledo and, above all, Segovia. If you really have time to spare, ride the train and spend some quality time getting lost in Segovia. It's like going back in time to the 1st, 13th, 16th and 19th centuries, all in one place.

I ought to concur with everything expressed here by my fellow brother. Do exactly as he says if you want a quality Spanish experience. And don't forget to add some Toledo goodness to your trip, a wonderful city of which I have really good memories...

Anyway, I'd try to make a better choice next time if I were you, Bilbao, for instance. you know, coming all the way to Spain and avoiding the capital of the world is just too sad to be expressed with words...

Hagen de Merak
1042th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Madrid" , posted Wed 4 Nov 08:02post reply

Go to La Rioja and tell me if you see Tierra Santa. If you do tell them not to disband.

Oroch
1083th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Madrid" , posted Thu 5 Nov 17:45post reply

quote:
Go to La Rioja and tell me if you see Tierra Santa. If you do tell them not to disband.

skip town and head to bagdad in barcelona

have i not told you this before?

Iggy
9010th Post

"Re(1):Madrid" , posted Tue 10 Nov 21:06post reply

Thanks for everyone's imput! I managed to spend 4 really interesting days, just walking 14 hours a day and only stopping to eat and sleep. It felt so good to be back in a Mediterranean city (well, not really, but close enough), I loved it.
Though, I must admit after 4 days, I had the feeling I had seen everything the city had to offer for now. Next time, I will either go out of the city (Segovia looks fabulous, indeed) or try to mangle with the locals. Oh, yeah. Thank god I wasn't there to be "social", because I think I would have been ten times more tired than I am now. I stopped thinking "woah, I'd hit that" almost as often I stop in London thinking "ugh, I'd hit that WITH A STEAMROLLER".

Spoon
1849th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Madrid" , posted Wed 11 Nov 03:32post reply

quote:
or try to mangle with the locals.

Somehow, I can totally visualize this.