Garouden thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1862 Views )

Spoon
1834th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Garouden thread" , posted Wed 21 Oct 06:01post reply

SOMEBODY wants this.

Talk about the fantastic, Freudian adventures of Hurricane Tatsumi or the PS2 Breakblow games.

FIST OR TWIST
(what the hell does that even mean?)

Replies:

Maou
1840th Post

"Re(1):Garouden thread" , posted Wed 21 Oct 06:53post reply

quote:
FIST OR TWIST

We'll tell you when you're older, or Iggy and Kofoguz can.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

badoor
92th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Garouden thread" , posted Wed 21 Oct 08:20post reply

quote:
FIST OR TWIST
We'll tell you when you're older, or Iggy and Kofoguz can.

Being a complete imbecile, I though that this thread was about GarouDensetsu. Then I looked back at Professor's post and discovered yet another obscure but interesting game that this board always come out with. It seems like a spiritual successor to Buriki One but with more striking and maybe a less awkward controls.

Anyone know anything about The developer GoShow other than the fact that they made 2 Garouden games and that Gladiator Musou PS2 game for Koei? I guess they probably disbanded and such which is a shame cause GarouDen looks a lot of fun.

GekigangerV
1625th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Garouden thread" , posted Wed 21 Oct 08:37post reply

quote:
SOMEBODY wants this.

Talk about the fantastic, Freudian adventures of Hurricane Tatsumi or the PS2 Breakblow games.

FIST OR TWIST

I played this game a while ago since it was made by the same people who did the Hajime No Ippo games. It was really interesting albeit simple at the same time. I never got too deep into it. It represents an earlier era of MMA (the early to mid 90's) where it was pure karate against another pure martial art.

I think Fist of Twist means. Knock-Out or Submission. But I am not sure.

Count Hihihi
202th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Garouden thread" , posted Wed 21 Oct 22:28:post reply

quote:

Anyone know anything about The developer GoShow other than the fact that they made 2 Garouden games and that Gladiator Musou PS2 game for Koei? I guess they probably disbanded and such which is a shame cause GarouDen looks a lot of fun.

Garouden is actually by Opus. The credits do list a few people from GoShow, so I guess it was co-developed but with Opus handling most of it.

I don't know anything about GoShow doing a Musou game. Gladiator: Road to Freedom has nothing to do with the Musou series. And they have not disbanded.. they are currently working on Gladiator Begins for the PSP, their third title in the Gladiator series. Oh, and they made Lost Regnum. A sequel for Lost Regnum was announced, but nothing has been heard from it since..

Here's video of the second game in the Gladiator series, which is basically an upgrade to the first game. CLICK

GAROUDEN!

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

[this message was edited by Count Hihihi on Thu 29 Oct 11:37]

Professor
2573th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(4):Garouden thread" , posted Wed 21 Oct 23:01post reply

More videos on Nico.

Spoon
1836th Post

"Re(5):Garouden thread" , posted Thu 22 Oct 04:40post reply

quote:
More videos on Nico.

There's a guy who makes combos for all kinds of obscure/crappy fighting games (even some for Simple 2000's ALL*STAR Kakutou!) who made some for Garouden. I'll see if I can dig it up.

HAYATO
949th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):Garouden thread" , posted Thu 22 Oct 08:03post reply

One of the most hilarious manga I've ever read. I came to think there was no better comedy than that... until I discovered "Baki the Grappler".

If only Itagaki Keisuke (the mangaka behind both series) made a crossover... that would really be an absolute masterpiece!!!

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
LOL Crybaby Sakura!!!

End of Spoiler

Maese
537th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Garouden thread" , posted Sun 25 Oct 10:10post reply

quote:
One of the most hilarious manga I've ever read. I came to think there was no better comedy than that... until I discovered "Baki the Grappler".

If only Itagaki Keisuke (the mangaka behind both series) made a crossover... that would really be an absolute masterpiece!!!

As you might already know, Garouden is a manga adaptation of a novel series which is loosely based on real events and people of the MMA world.

But I find the author's profile much more interesting than his works. You don't find everyday a Special Ops soldier-of-fortune who changed the sword for the pen after months of being bedridden with beriberi or whatever in a hospital lost in the jungles of some god-forsaken South East Asian country, you know. I somehow suspect where all that not-very-subtle homoeroticism comes from.

Count Hihihi
202th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):Garouden thread" , posted Thu 29 Oct 11:52post reply

I've been reading more of the manga lately, and I can say it's one of the best comics I've read in a while. Incidentally the PS2 games happen to be some of the best games I've played on the system. I actually played both of the games before checking out the comic, and I can now see how much detail has been put into the games from the original work. It's not just super moves that have been brought over, but basic punches and kicks the characters use in the comic are in there too.

What I like the most about the games compared to typical 3D fighters is how the super moves change the matchups. For example, a character with good punch strings and pokes has to rely on something else if the opponent has a punch counter super active. Think of it like fighting against ST Ryu with a full super meter. There are certain things you are adviced not to do in that situation. And that's how Garouden basically works, constant changes in strenghts and weaknesses in the match. It's also one of the few fighting games that are more enjoyable with a pad!

Count Hihihi
203th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Garouden thread" , posted Mon 2 Nov 08:43post reply

quote:
FIST OR TWIST

Fist or Twist is about striking vs grappling. The term is used in the manga.

Count Hihihi
210th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Garouden thread" , posted Fri 27 Nov 10:56post reply

quote:

GoShow

The demo for Gladiator Begins is on Japanese PSN!