Bets on SNKP's future - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (7777 Views )

Iggy
8998th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 15 Oct 06:56post reply

As you may know, SNKP doesn't have any project announced in the foreseable future. Sky Stage is (probably?) developped by Alpha System, and SNKP just announced officially they cancelled the 3 Maximum Impact games they announced years ago, when they thought Falcoon would be their very own Nomura.

Oh well. At least XII was a pretty farewell present.

Replies:

karasu99
228th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 15 Oct 09:08post reply

quote:
As you may know, SNKP doesn't have any project announced in the foreseable future. Sky Stage is (probably?) developped by Alpha System, and SNKP just announced officially they cancelled the 3 Maximum Impact games they announced years ago, when they thought Falcoon would be their very own Nomura.

I'm typically among the bleakest individuals in any given room, but in this case, I remain optimistic. SNKP (and SNK) has had some real low points in the past, so I won't consider them lost just yet.

It's surprising that they have cancelled those MI games though-- I had impression that they were consistently the best performers in the recent lineup.

kofoguz
776th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 15 Oct 09:36:post reply

quote:

And I was wondering where to post this.
No sarcasm.

He says big titles. Should I be excited??!

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Thu 15 Oct 09:37]

badoor
88th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 15 Oct 09:54post reply

quote:

Deja Vu?

I'm hoping that they at least manage to survive (or maybe get bankrupt then revived again) enough to make KOF XIII since we all pretty much knew that XII was just a stepping stone for XIII.

It is ironic that they are canceling the maximum impact series which probably is critically(review site-wise, though I did like the series personally) and commercially more successful than KOF XII.
Then again MI3 was going to be another money sink that would end up with less characters than MI1 and be compared directly to street fighter IV, for better or worse. And A2 was merely an update that has way past its time.

Professor
2570th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 15 Oct 10:44:post reply

quote:

Deja Vu?

I'm hoping that they at least manage to survive (or maybe get bankrupt then revived again) enough to make KOF XIII since we all pretty much knew that XII was just a stepping stone for XIII.

It is ironic that they are canceling the maximum impact series which probably is critically(review site-wise, though I did like the series personally) and commercially more successful than KOF XII.
Then again MI3 was going to be another money sink that would end up with less characters than MI1 and be compared directly to street fighter IV, for better or worse. And A2 was merely an update that has way past its time.

The company seems to be barely surviving on cell phone games and pachislot. Actually, their pachislot sector seems to be looking grim; they just don't have enough original IPs or licenses to sustain hit releases, and they don't have a single machine in the top 30s.

But I wouldn't say they've run out of gas just yet. SNKP isn't known for income stability. We'll probably see what they're up to by February.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 15 Oct 11:22]

Loona
271th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 15 Oct 16:54post reply

I wonder if whatever work was put into those MIs can be used in some future portable or downloadable game...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

badoor
89th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 15 Oct 23:19post reply

quote:

The company seems to be barely surviving on cell phone games and pachislot. Actually, their pachislot sector seems to be looking grim; they just don't have enough original IPs or licenses to sustain hit releases, and they don't have a single machine in the top 30s.

But I wouldn't say they've run out of gas just yet. SNKP isn't known for income stability. We'll probably see what they're up to by February.

Even the PS2 Neo Geo collection seems to have run its course so SNKP decided to sell us the same games again.
I'm hoping this doesn't mean they'll stop making new neo geo collections. If that was the case maybe SNKP USA can continue their own SNK Arcade classics initiative. Other than that there doesn't seem to be much options with SNK to make money.

Then again, they still have Doki Doki Majo Shinpan!

Ishmael
3597th Post

"Re(2):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 16 Oct 03:01post reply

I'm scared that SNKP's next move is to do a crossover with Queen's Blade or something similar as a quick cash grab that will bring nothing but embarrassment and shame. Considering what happened to Valis anything is possible.

quote:
He says big titles. Should I be excited??!

Probably not. With no product or release date to speak of he can promise the moon at this point. Honestly, I would like nothing more than for SNKP to finally get their act together but their previous track record is not encouraging. The best I can hope for is that that the company can splash around enough to keep its head above water.

Burning Ranger
1614th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 16 Oct 05:41post reply

quote:
I'm scared that SNKP's next move is to do a crossover with Queen's Blade or something similar as a quick cash grab that will bring nothing but embarrassment and shame. Considering what happened to Valis anything is possible.

I think I'm beyond the point of waiting for games produced in-house by SNKP. After KOF XII, I don't think anything really good can come from in-house. I'd rather they leverage their IP by allowing other *GOOD* studios to make games based on the IPs. Let ARC make the next KOF or FF or Samurai Shodown. Hell, let Capcom do it. Just don't let Aruze do it....

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Count Hihihi
194th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 16 Oct 06:02post reply

quote:

I think I'm beyond the point of waiting for games produced in-house by SNKP. After KOF XII, I don't think anything really good can come from in-house. I'd rather they leverage their IP by allowing other *GOOD* studios to make games based on the IPs. Let ARC make the next KOF or FF or Samurai Shodown. Hell, let Capcom do it. Just don't let Aruze do it....

OK.

I think SNKP should forget about XIII, since XII wasn't real HD. So, to make up for that, they should hire UDON to remake XII in true glorous HD!

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

Digitalboy
666th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 16 Oct 08:02post reply

Fixed.
quote:
So, to make up for that, they should hire UDON and Backbone to remake XII in true glorous HD!

Also the mark of the devil...

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Freeter
4477th Post

"Re(3):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 16 Oct 10:41post reply

quote:

They already have Dokimajo, what's left to feel shameful about?

Spoon
1830th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 16 Oct 13:24post reply

quote:

They already have Dokimajo, what's left to feel shameful about?

Dokimajo with characters from other SNK games, and a version with Rasputin. Possibly featuring a Queen's Blade crossover, while we're at it.

Loona
272th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 16 Oct 13:26post reply

quote:

Aren't there already Queen's Blade books with Mai and Iroha?
You mean a fighting game with SNK + Queen's Blade characters?

Oroch
1082th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 18 Oct 02:30post reply

it was fun while it lasted

crazymike
1502th Post

"Re(2):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 18 Oct 03:44post reply

Problem is SNK just never mass marketed in N. America the way Capcom did. For example, my friends who are casual gameplayers and know more about Madden than anything else, they were pumped about Street Fighter 4. Some didn't even know there was a 3rd or just lost interest over the years, but they instantly remembered playing SF2 in the games, it had that brand recognition.

Now if I asked them about King of Fighters or Fatal Fury, they will remember me taking it over to play but they couldn't name characters or anything like the iconic Ryu or M. Bison/Vega.

Ishmael
3598th Post

"Re(3):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 18 Oct 04:34post reply

quote:
Aren't there already Queen's Blade books with Mai and Iroha?
You mean a fighting game with SNK + Queen's Blade characters?

I don't have any specific thoughts in mind for what SNKP is going to do next. Rather, I was making reference to SNKP's ability to make one good decision and then follow it up with two moves that are of questionable judgment. With that sort of track record I can't guess what SNKP is going to do next other than that they will eventually stamp the KoF name on something or other.

quote:
Problem is SNK just never mass marketed in N. America the way Capcom did. For example, my friends who are casual gameplayers and know more about Madden than anything else, they were pumped about Street Fighter 4. Some didn't even know there was a 3rd or just lost interest over the years, but they instantly remembered playing SF2 in the games, it had that brand recognition.

Now if I asked them about King of Fighters or Fatal Fury, they will remember me taking it over to play but they couldn't name characters or anything like the iconic Ryu or M. Bison/Vega.

I think that investing so much of time and energy to their own hardware hurt SNK in the long run. It's hard to build a following in a place like the US when the only way to play a proper version of a game is to have a dedicated system. It also probably doesn't help that the last few times that SNKP tried to do an advertising blitz for their games in the US it was for the undynamic duo of KoF:MI and KoF XII.

karasu99
230th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 18 Oct 10:48post reply

I never really saw SNK (and SNKP) as a real force in the US market-- even back in the NeoGeo days. I saw them as appealing more to a niche market, like us. Over the years, I was literally the only person I knew who actually owned a NeoGeo system. Other than people I knew online, that is.

Truthfully, though, what surprises me is that they aren't still successful in Japan. Maybe someone who is more familiar with the Japanese market (rather than just making broad assumptions like me) can explain why it is that SNKP fighters haven't succeeded lately, despite the popularity of a lot of other newer fighters.

Professor
2571th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 18 Oct 21:11:post reply

quote:
I never really saw SNK (and SNKP) as a real force in the US market-- even back in the NeoGeo days. I saw them as appealing more to a niche market, like us. Over the years, I was literally the only person I knew who actually owned a NeoGeo system. Other than people I knew online, that is.

Truthfully, though, what surprises me is that they aren't still successful in Japan. Maybe someone who is more familiar with the Japanese market (rather than just making broad assumptions like me) can explain why it is that SNKP fighters haven't succeeded lately, despite the popularity of a lot of other newer fighters.

SNK was very, very successful in Japan back in the early 90's when it was called the golden age of fighting games. Nowadays, fighting games are very niche and only hardcore gamers are seen playing them in arcades. Beginners are nothing but prey, and it's no wonder the market is shrinking.

Anyways, with SNK/SNKP, all of their recent games are either

1) too simple for hardcore gamers to get interested in.
or
2) too unbalanced for hardcore gamers to get interested in.

Case 1 is with KOFXII and the 3D Samurai Shodown game, Case 2 is with some older titles like NGBC and KOFXI.

2D fighting game players have kind of split up into old-style fighting and new-style fighting. Or to put it another way, nowadays they either play SF4 or Blazblue. Not that there's that many other options, of course.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 18 Oct 21:15]

Count Hihihi
195th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Mon 19 Oct 02:11post reply

quote:

For example, my friends who are casual gameplayers and know more about Madden than anything else, they were pumped about Street Fighter 4. Some didn't even know there was a 3rd or just lost interest over the years blahblahblah

Wow, never heard that one before.

quote:

SNK was very, very successful in Japan back in the early 90's when it was called the golden age of fighting games. Nowadays, fighting games are very niche and only hardcore gamers are seen playing them in arcades. Beginners are nothing but prey, and it's no wonder the market is shrinking.

LOL

Oh, and yeah, SNKP's games are either too simple or unbalanced. Exactly what the tarket audience does not want. Maybe they do deserve to die.

Mosquiton
1747th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Mon 19 Oct 05:34post reply

I predict tears.

/ / /

Baines
248th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Mon 19 Oct 07:07post reply

quote:
Oh, and yeah, SNKP's games are either too simple or unbalanced. Exactly what the tarket audience does not want. Maybe they do deserve to die.

You'd think that they'd died enough times to learn some kind of survival lesson by now. Instead, they seem to have gotten worse with each return from the grave.

The best I can hope for is that some other company will come along and buy the various property rights. That, or they finally buckle down and find some people who actually knows how to run a company to run their company.

mbisonhatclub
123th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Mon 19 Oct 08:18post reply

quote:
The best I can hope for is that some other company will come along and buy the various property rights. That, or they finally buckle down and find some people who actually knows how to run a company to run their company.

What I'd want is for Aksys to swoop down (before Capcom does) and take the property and develop it themselves, but ambivalently so, I'd be afraid of another KoF Neowave.

However, if Daisuke gets his hands back on The Last Blade property, who knows what could come of it!

Just keep it away from Korean hands.

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

Grave
1228th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Mon 19 Oct 08:26:post reply

I wish Arc System Works would take another crack at an "old-style" fighting game before I could say I'd agree with that. Battle Fantasia's pretty much their only one and though I do like it, it's certainly not among my favorite fighters ever.

Granted, neither is KOF XII, so...!
quote:
Instead, they seem to have gotten worse with each return from the grave.

Hey, don't try to pin this on me!

[this message was edited by Grave on Mon 19 Oct 08:26]

karasu99
233th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Mon 19 Oct 21:56:post reply

quote:

Anyways, with SNK/SNKP, all of their recent games are either

1) too simple for hardcore gamers to get interested in.
or
2) too unbalanced for hardcore gamers to get interested in.

Case 1 is with KOFXII and the 3D Samurai Shodown game, Case 2 is with some older titles like NGBC and KOFXI.

2D fighting game players have kind of split up into old-style fighting and new-style fighting. Or to put it another way, nowadays they either play SF4 or Blazblue. Not that there's that many other options, of course.

These are some really interesting insights about 2D fighters. Thanks as always Professor! I especially appreciate the point about beginners being prey-- it's probably what stopped me from playing fighters in the arcade years ago. And it makes me realize that-- sad as it may be-- maybe it's time for SNKP to go under, and for their IPs to be snapped up by a developer who can actually put them to use, rather than SNKP just reanimating KOF's corpse for years to come.

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Tue 20 Oct 04:26]

Tai-Pan
390th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 02:34post reply

quote:
I predict tears.

Yes...that sentence about the golden years of fighting games made me feel old, nostalgic..and miserable...

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Count Hihihi
196th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 04:47post reply

quote:
I predict tears.

Yes...that sentence about the golden years of fighting games made me feel old, nostalgic..and miserable...

The golden years when SNK released something else than just KOF. What a brilliant idea it was from SNKP to take KOF back to the basics.. you know, instead of giving us a new Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting game instead?

I think it's about time that KOF is for KOF exclusive characters only. Kyo and Iori can take care of that franchise, and let Terry and co have their own games..

mbisonhatclub
124th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 05:10post reply

quote:

While playing some Blazblue with some guy online, he was telling me over the mic how he entered some arcade where it turned out he was the only white guy in a crowd of asians. Somehow he beat someone in a fighting game which apparently was frowned upon. I hear about this all the time with other genre of games as well, like rhythm games.

He tells me some other asian punk comes up to him and challenges him and wipes the floor with him then just leaves. What kind of attitude is this? It's bad enough beginners get driven away from fighting games as it is, but this is very poor behavior and it's a wonder how anyone stays a fan of fighting games unless they're EXTREEEEEME over something as trivial as a video game which in itself is already childish to begin with.

I don't even wanna get into the details about some other guy's DDR knife-threat story. It's just laughable and it's no surprise that some people just abandon these would-be hardcore video game centers to enjoy something else less absurd.

I stick with the stuff I enjoy, but I'll avoid mixing in with the shenanigans of the wrong kind of crowd, and that's the derisive kind that is hardcore for something as sissy as video games. It's not my fault that they're closet nerds.

Iron D
3316th Post

"Re(8):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 07:51post reply

quote:

While playing some Blazblue with some guy online, he was telling me over the mic how he entered some arcade where it turned out he was the only white guy in a crowd of asians. Somehow he beat someone in a fighting game which apparently was frowned upon. I hear about this all the time with other genre of games as well, like rhythm games.

He tells me some other asian punk comes up to him and challenges him and wipes the floor with him then just leaves. What kind of attitude is this? It's bad enough beginners get driven away from fighting games as it is, but this is very poor behavior and it's a wonder how anyone stays a fan of fighting games unless they're EXTREEEEEME over something as trivial as a video game which in itself is already childish to begin with.

I don't even wanna get into the details about some other guy's DDR knife-threat story. It's just laughable and it's no surprise that some people just abandon these would-be hardcore video game centers to enjoy something else less absurd.

I stick with the stuff I enjoy, but I'll avoid mixing in with the shenanigans of the wrong kind of crowd, and that's the derisive kind that is hardcore for something as sissy as video games. It's not my fault that they're closet nerds.

Oh, I've got a bunch of stories like that. Like the time a kid got a bunch of his buddies to try to beat me up after I beat him (pretty badly) at MvC1. He was seriously like "oh, you think you bad? Try that shit in real life" with him and his buddies. I shit you not. And another time where I was actually chased home by a bunch of idiots after beating them at SSF2.

But then again, these both happened when there were still arcades to go to and fighting games were still big, so I guess this is kind of OT.

OT, the current economy seems to be swallowing up any company that is small and not making any (or very little money). To be honest, I'm surprised SNKP is still alive as is.

And for once, Count Hihihi actually made a great point...I miss when SNK was more than just KoF (and I'll add Metal Slug to that). Man, I'd kill for a new Fatal Fury game, whether it was a sequel MotW or another game set in the original Fatal Fury series continuity. As long as it was at least as good as the classic FFs, I'd be ecstatic.

Er.....

Pollyanna
2790th Post

"Re(9):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 08:55post reply

You guys are crazy. Who cares about property rights? SNK's games are SNK's games because SNK made them. ArcSys and Capcom can make their own games. A good developer can make new ideas as well as sequels. I love KOF as much or more than any other series of games, but it's the developers that matter, not the series. I'd rather have KOF die and trust that SNK would make another good fighter than have SNK die and someone else make KOF.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Count Hihihi
197th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 09:44post reply

quote:

I'd rather have KOF die and trust that SNK would make another good fighter than have SNK die and someone else make KOF.

If KOF dies, do you seriously think that SNKP will be around?

shin ramberk
359th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 10:05post reply

Can modern day SNK make a game that modern day hardcore or casual gamers are interested in? In my opinion, they haven't been able to thus far. But hey, maybe SNK doesn't care about living on the edge of bankruptcy as long as they get to make the games they want to make. Contrast this with Capcom who will not spend a dollar in development unless they know the game will be a blockbuster hit.

I was going to say that in order for SNK to be successful again (at least in the US) they would have to make a Rock Band clone, a Wii Sports clone, a Wii Fit clone or some FPS clone with KOF characters. But like I just previously wrote, maybe SNK is perfectly happy doing their own thing and barely staying alive with their very niche (and expensive) games.

Personally, I would instantly buy ten copies of a KOF Rock Band or Wii Sports game if it mixed the fighting game genre into those games. I am a hardcore SFA2 and 3S player but I have also "retired" from "hardcore" games and prefer to play some silly social oriented Wii game with my casual gaming friends.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Grave
1229th Post

"Re(2):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 11:05post reply

quote:
But hey, maybe SNK doesn't care about living on the edge of bankruptcy as long as they get to make the games they want to make.

Was KOF XII really the game anyone wanted to make? Or play?

bootation
580th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 12:06post reply

quote:
But hey, maybe SNK doesn't care about living on the edge of bankruptcy as long as they get to make the games they want to make.

I like it better than sf4. The gameplay is good.... The load times are bad. No boss?

Some of the win poses dont look that good when the animation stops.

Its kind of a mixed bag really. It should have been a download only i think.

i hear the online play isnt very good either.

They cuold have at least tried to port it to ps2.

Click this webpage

also chek out http://myspace.com/atomiswave2

Grave
1230th Post

"Re(4):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 12:25post reply

I mean, these days I like getting my dick caught in my zipper better than SF4. Not saying much! No taunts, single winposes and things like that might seem small, but you can only take so many parts away from a whole before it starts to feel kind of empty. Super-limited movesets, no story segments, no boss, limited gameplay modes compared to this year's other fighting games, poor netplay... now that's a problem when you're still charging $60!

It's a shame that they ran out of resources, money, time, whatever! The sprites really are nice! Maybe not zoomed in that close, but they look so good and animate quite nicely! It's just, y'know, I tried to defend the buying of the game regardless of gameplay on another thread before the game released, and someone said that it was a ridiculous thing to suggest, buying a flawed game for full price for the hope of them getting it right next time. In time I came to agree with that and no, it's not a game I'll be spending my own money on until it's $30 or less. Especially considering that $20 KOF XI is a better game. Too bad they stripped progressive scan out of the US release! Stupids!

Well, at least Arc System Works hasn't alienated me... yet!

Pollyanna
2792th Post

"Re(3):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 12:30:post reply

quote:

I have a list of things that I would've done differently in KOF XII, but I still play it more than SF4 and BlazBlue combined, so they've gotta be doing something right. I think it's been "every OTHER KOF is good" from the beginning, anyway.

I really do wish the online wasn't so horrid, though.

Edit: You posted while I was posting. For the record, I agree with most of your points, or at the very least see where you're coming from and I certainly wouldn't recommend the game to someone who doesn't have friends to play with.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Tue 20 Oct 12:32]

Grave
1231th Post

"Re(4):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 12:41post reply

quote:
I certainly wouldn't recommend the game to someone who doesn't have friends to play with.

Ouch...

bootation
581th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 12:42post reply

quote:
I mean, these days I like getting my dick caught in my zipper better than SF4. Not saying much! No taunts, single winposes and things like that might seem small, but you can only take so many parts away from a whole before it starts to feel kind of empty. Super-limited movesets, no story segments, no boss, limited gameplay modes compared to this year's other fighting games, poor netplay... now that's a problem when you're still charging $60!

It's a shame that they ran out of resources, money, time, whatever! The sprites really are nice! Maybe not zoomed in that close, but they look so good and animate quite nicely! It's just, y'know, I tried to defend the buying of the game regardless of gameplay on another thread before the game released, and someone said that it was a ridiculous thing to suggest, buying a flawed game for full price for the hope of them getting it right next time. In time I came to agree with that and no, it's not a game I'll be spending my own money on until it's $30 or less. Especially considering that $20 KOF XI is a better game. Too bad they stripped progressive scan out of the US release! Stupids!

Well, at least Arc System Works hasn't alienated me... yet! [:2ch_haha:

They took out progressive scan? Why?

Click this webpage

also chek out http://myspace.com/atomiswave2

Grave
1232th Post

"Re(6):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 12:44post reply

It is a mystery! I had heard somewhere down the line that it was dropped from the Ignition-handled UK release of KOF XI, same as NGBC, and our releases were hacked together from their leftovers. Not sure how true that is, but it's very believable for budget-type "who gives a fuck" releases. Our NGBC is also lacking progressive scan and reportedly has slowdown that wasn't present in the Japanese version. Cute!

nobinobita
635th Post

"Re(3):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 12:48post reply

quote:

I LOVE this game with all my heart. I know it's outright unfinished, but everything there is 100% right up my alley.

I like the controls (way smoother than other KOF titles), I like the medium pace of the game, I like the back to the basic mechanics (ok, they might be TOO simple, but i prefer simple to overly intricate, like Blazblue--which i must admit is a much more complete and balanced game) and I love the characters and overall visual execution.

I love the cast, the firm decision to return everyone to their most iconic forms. I love the animation which now has far more impact and character and feel more intuitive and actually improve the controls. And I absolutely adore the sprite art. I consider it one of the most beautiful games I've ever seen.

If there's any game of this generation where the artists got to do what they really wanted to do, I'd wager this was it.

Every visual decision in the game is so well thought out and so... mature and ungimmicky.

This game felt like a gift to me. I can't think of any other game of the last few years that felt so much like it was made by artists for artists. I don't mean to sound arrogant, like production artists know better than everyone else. I just mean that this game felt very very genuine, and not optimized for a mass market, or even for the hardcore fighting gamer market. It just felt like Nona and crew were doing what they really wanted to do with those characters. It has a strong, unique, ungeneralized timbre to it.

Unfortunately they ran out of budget and had to slap together what they could at the last minute. The game is so obviously unfinished that unless you're a rabid fan like me you will feel cheated for plunking down $60 for it. What's worse is that this game will probably bankrupt SNK (again) and send the message that no one wants to play this kind of game anymore.

Still, I can't help but love KOF XII and I feel like it loves me back. This is the true love making!

Fuu
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 16:57:post reply

Thanks nobinobita, keep fighting the good fight.

I feel KOFXII is a bizarre mix of ballsy and wimpy decisions slapped together.

That the game had to be KOF in the first place was probably the biggest mistake. A Fatal Fury with 14-ish characters and this gameplay would have been easily acceptable and maybe even more marketable in the west, and then i don't think reusing the sprites for a future KOF would have been preposterous. But when you can't publish a shooter without slapping KOF on the title... yeah.

I'm all for Nona's work though, as the hand of a designer that could work without marketing data up his ass; though, most likely he will have some if they ever get to make another game :(

[this message was edited by Fuu on Tue 20 Oct 17:05]

Toxico
4786th Post

"Re(5):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 17:42post reply

quote:

The golden years when SNK released something else than just KOF. What a brilliant idea it was from SNKP to take KOF back to the basics.. you know, instead of giving us a new Fatal Fury or Art of Fighting game instead?

quote:

That the game had to be KOF in the first place was probably the biggest mistake. A Fatal Fury with 14-ish characters and this gameplay would have been easily acceptable and maybe even more marketable in the west

The main thing is; the teams that made AoF, Fatal Fury and most of the other alternative titles have long been disbanded, so; even if SNK would try to bring back to life some of those old franchises it would most likely end up a bad copipe that wouldn't really reflect the game of origen (like.... SvC chaos?).

No, let's play a what if game a little bit.... If SNK would have chosen to revive an old franchise, it would have been most likely Garou since it's the biggest name left behind. BUT market wise Garou is a very small game next to what KoF is, so it's unlikely that the high ups would have said "ok, let's develop a game for 4-5 years" KoF was the only game "big" enough so that SNK would expect to break out huge success and round up any production cost (but those hopes where in vain). I still remember the low numbers that RB2 got at it's release date (aka, summon Chaz button), I bet 90% of the current Garou or Gekka players haven't seen the games outside Nebula, ggpo or whatever is called whatever they are using to freely play in their pcs right now).

NOW, if we use or little imaginations and figure that SNK would have put out a Garou, Ryuuko, Gekka or Spirits or anything in 2.5D; that game would have been victim of the very same complains that KoF XII is victim of, aka this effort should have gone to make a true kof game with more than 40 characters, fast gameplay and blah, blah, blah. So, yeah, they where pretty much screwed in any case.

I do agree with what has been said a about XII, it's simply a game that shouldn't have been existed as it simply show how much personality the staff have and how many freedom they enjoyed while developing it. Perhaps the only constraint that SNK have was the un-ability to push the release date further. Considering the high production costs and low revenue of XII, I already realize how painful it would be to watch on how tightly tied up will be the hands of the developing staff of XIII.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 08/05/09 (99 personajes)

Now sponsoring : videogame analogies
Last update : Chapter 9 as of 02/10/09

Fuu
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 18:49post reply

quote:

The main thing is; the teams that made AoF, Fatal Fury and most of the other alternative titles have long been disbanded, so; even if SNK would try to bring back to life some of those old franchises it would most likely end up a bad copipe that wouldn't really reflect the game of origen (like.... SvC chaos?).

I generally agree, but it's not that Garou was much like the older FF games either; and the main complain with XII is that isn't anything like the old self.

quote:

NOW, if we use or little imaginations and figure that SNK would have put out a Garou, Ryuuko, Gekka or Spirits or anything in 2.5D; that game would have been victim of the very same complains that KoF XII is victim of, aka this effort should have gone to make a true kof game with more than 40 characters, fast gameplay and blah, blah, blah. So, yeah, they where pretty much screwed in any case.

... yeah this i can pretty much back up completely.

Grave
1234th Post

"Re(5):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 19:20post reply

Hi new person!
quote:
I bet 90% of the current Garou or Gekka players haven't seen the games outside Nebula, ggpo or whatever is called whatever they are using to freely play in their pcs right now).

And y'know, I put the blame for this squarely on SNK's shoulders! Cuz the netplay for emulators actually works well these days, which is more than you can say for XBLA Garou, KOF98, etc. I just can't feel too terribly bad for a company that claims to hear what I want, claims they're going to deliver what I want, ships something entirely lacking and wonders why no one's buying it.

Professor
2573th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Tue 20 Oct 22:05:post reply

quote:

Unfortunately they ran out of budget and had to slap together what they could at the last minute. The game is so obviously unfinished that unless you're a rabid fan like me you will feel cheated for plunking down $60 for it. What's worse is that this game will probably bankrupt SNK (again) and send the message that no one wants to play this kind of game anymore.

These are two points that I've kind of question myself.

First up, how popular is the KOF franchise outside of Japan? Sure enough it's SNKP's largest IP, but aren't the other games like Samurai Shodown, Art Of Fighting, Fatal Fury not too far in terms of recognition in the overseas market? (Or to put it another way, KOF isn't *that* well known.)

Second, KOFXII feels very slapped together. They did a horrendous job at changing the gameplay mechanism somewhere during the beta tests. It's up to personal taste, but I found it to be more fun in the earlier stages of testing, where jumps were slow and relatively useless. You were forced to fight up-close, and attacks were clashing all the time. Kind of felt like Garouden Breakblow.

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 21 Oct 00:21]

Toxico
4789th Post

"Re(7):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Wed 21 Oct 02:59:post reply

quote:

First up, how popular is the KOF franchise outside of Japan? Sure enough it's SNKP's largest IP, but aren't the other games like Samurai Shodown, Art Of Fighting, Fatal Fury not too far in terms of recognition in the overseas market? (Or to put it another way, KOF isn't *that* well known.)

In the US market wise KoF 'failed' big time because it couldn't de throne SF, (heck, in the US the series SF III and the Zeros even failed to de throne the original SF II ).

However in central and sud america KoF and SNK had a huge impact. Even in the 90s KoF was more popular than SF (or even VF, SC or Tekken) heavily in many countries and in most arcades (For example in Chile currenty is hard to even find Capcom machines; but MVS and the like are everywhere). SNK has more or less recognized this by focusing their market here more than any other company; for example prior to bankruptcy we had an "SNK Peru" side office, and post bankruptcy we had some beta tests and events in Mexico), I remember even the KoF official site mentioned that they more or less created Ramon to target the market place one of their biggest zones of effect (It was somewhere in the designer's interviews).

Now, if you want more or less "Street Knowledge", "KoF" was the game that the lads in the hood where looking forward to play, and in between each release they would play samusupi or garou or SF. In Chile KoF was so "big" that we had a 94', 95' and '96 machine 3 weeks after their jp release. The acquisition of other games could be delayed for months from the cabinet operator point of view, but KoF money earns where needed fast. If we speak Credit wise the games where, some times; more expensive than the other franchises, but where still more intensely played.

I don't know about Europe, because it's an evil place with evil people.

obscene voodoo dance teleport

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 21 Oct 03:01]

Ishmael
3601th Post

"Re(7):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Wed 21 Oct 03:48post reply

quote:
What's worse is that this game will probably bankrupt SNK (again) and send the message that no one wants to play this kind of game anymore.

Which is why I will never love KoFXII. First, I don't know how KoFXII spiraled out of control but I feel sorry for all the SNKP employees who will be affected by this mess. Having your job get affected by someone else's mistake is never a good experience. Second, I dislike the impression it gives to fighting games as a whole. Whether it is an established hit like SF4, an upcoming hit like Tekken 6 or a cult favorite like BlazBlue there's a great deal of renewed interest in fighting games. What this popularity proved is that fighting games can still be more than a niche genre running on nostalgia and fanatical devotion but are viable games with mass market appeal. Into that mix comes the disheveled and unfinished KoFXII. Releasing a game in which most of the selling points could only appeal to the most devoted of the fanbase, SNKP reinforced every negative connotation that fighting games have built up over the years. Just as the success of one game can help another, the failure of a game can bring the whole genre down. So get it together SNKP, you're making everybody look bad!

quote:

Second, KOFXII feels very slapped together. They did a horrendous job at changing the gameplay mechanism somewhere during the beta tests. It's up to personal taste, but I found it to be more fun in the earlier stages of testing, where jumps were slow and relatively useless. You were forced to fight up-close, and attacks were clashing all the time. Kind of felt like Garouden Breakblow.

Why did the game engine in KoFXII get changed? Did all the players hate the beta? Or was the game changed when it was decided that KoFXII was going to emphasize the "classic" angle?

As for SNK -and SNKP- outside of Japan I only have anecdotal evidence from my own experiences. Around here SNK seemed to hit its peak with Samurai Shodown 2. While KoF games were around they often were stuffed into those horrible black and red Neo Geo multi-game cabinets. Games such as KoF that required a great deal of precise button pressing and joystiq movement never did too well in a set-up where the controllers were often broken because some clown beat the hell out of the cabinet playing Windjammers.

Spoon
1833th Post

"Re(7):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Wed 21 Oct 04:06post reply

quote:

I think it's interesting that one of the featured game mechanics, a wall slam system, was removed.

I'm still kind of disappointed that they made KOFXII try to feel more like a regular KOF rather than trying to be it's own creature. It feels like they've wound up with something that is a dilution of their original vision and at the same time is a dilution of KOF. It's like they were first going to walk the road of SF3NG, then after the loketests they realized they were going to walk the road of SF3NG and remembered just how that went down for Capcom, decided to try a middle way, and wound up something that nobody is really happy with (except nobi, but for different reasons entirely).

However, knowing that somebody else here has played Garouden Breakblow makes me very happy! I like the interesting red-tinted lighting they use, the distinctive character modelling, and the wide variety of attack types and interactions... however, the gameplay feels rough, and not in a good way. It's been awhile since I last played it though, so the memories of the most grievous/bizarre move/frame advantage behaviours are foggy to me now. Still, I really liked how it tried to not just be a Tekken/VF/other 2D or 3D fighter clone, and for a while I kept wondering to myself if the game was just poorly designed/executed or if I just didn't get it.

Iron D
3318th Post

"Re(8):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Wed 21 Oct 05:28post reply

quote:

As for SNK -and SNKP- outside of Japan I only have anecdotal evidence from my own experiences. Around here SNK seemed to hit its peak with Samurai Shodown 2. While KoF games were around they often were stuffed into those horrible black and red Neo Geo multi-game cabinets. Games such as KoF that required a great deal of precise button pressing and joystiq movement never did too well in a set-up where the controllers were often broken because some clown beat the hell out of the cabinet playing Windjammers.

Yeah, I can safely say that among the mass market in the US the SamSho series (in particular SamSHo2) is more popular than KoF. Hell, to be honest, I've actually seen AoF1 in more locations than I've seen KoF.

So yeah, whether or not FF and AoF are more popular here in the States than KoF is debatable, but SamSho is definitely more popular.

Er.....

Count Hihihi
198th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Wed 21 Oct 05:51post reply

Well, SNKP did publish a few Samurai Spirits games this decade. None of them made any impact outside Japan.. and the latest one bombed even there.

If you suck, you deserve to go down.

PS.
Someone make a Garouden thread.

Phoenix
919th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Wed 21 Oct 13:14:post reply

What more is there to say other than let's wait for XIII? I appreciate XII for what it is. A promising demo for XIII. We knew that KOF Rebirth is too ambitious of an objective for SNKP to get right the first time. But they usually get it right the second time.

SVC's engine -> NGBC's engine
KOF 2003 tag -> KOF XI tag
Heck, even MI2 was a vast improvement over MI.

If you are a fan of KOF, SNK, 2D, or even fighters in general. Then now is the time to show your support, provide constructive feedback, and pray that they get XIII right. Not this I hope they get bought out nonsense. We need to make SNKP understand that getting online right is a pretty freakin big deal here in the next gen. And that next gen games are not just prettier PS2 games.

[this message was edited by Phoenix on Wed 21 Oct 13:15]

Spoon
1835th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Wed 21 Oct 13:41post reply

quote:
And that next gen games are not just prettier PS2 games.

I'm frankly not certain that they're aware of this notion themselves.

Just a Person
1320th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Wed 21 Oct 21:18post reply

Well, I know that in Brazil, the KoF series is pretty popular. It's quite easy to find KoF arcade cabinets in places where arcade games still exist (shopping malls, bars and arcade houses - although there aren't many of those anymore). On the other hand, since KoF 2002, I don't remember seeing the newer games like '2003 and XI appearing in many places, and sometimes they are just emulators based in the console versions. And since most people don't own a PS3 or a X360 (PS2 is still the most popular console here), I guess KoF XII isn't really a best-seller in Brazil...

KoF XII had a lot of potential, it is a shame it didn't fulfill all the expectations. But I have hope that it won't be the last game from SNKP, and maybe in the next one we'll get a complete game. KoF XIII could even be a "KoF XII Turbo", just adding some characters, a couple of new stages, a final boss and a plot (it doesn't even need to be a huge plot like the usual KoF games; just follow the SFIV route and it's fine).

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

hikarutilmitt
515th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Wed 21 Oct 22:18post reply

quote:
What more is there to say other than let's wait for XIII? I appreciate XII for what it is. A promising demo for XIII. We knew that KOF Rebirth is too ambitious of an objective for SNKP to get right the first time. But they usually get it right the second time.

SVC's engine -> NGBC's engine
KOF 2003 tag -> KOF XI tag
Heck, even MI2 was a vast improvement over MI.

If you are a fan of KOF, SNK, 2D, or even fighters in general. Then now is the time to show your support, provide constructive feedback, and pray that they get XIII right. Not this I hope they get bought out nonsense. We need to make SNKP understand that getting online right is a pretty freakin big deal here in the next gen. And that next gen games are not just prettier PS2 games.

This is pretty much what I'm hoping for. It's a shame XII turned out how it did after so much hype for it, but XIII NEEDS to have more to it, arcade and console alike. It also needs to be faster than the original SF2. I'm not a speed monger by any means but the game is just far, far, FAR too slow, especially now.

Tai-Pan
391th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Wed 21 Oct 23:12post reply

quote:

However in central and sud america KoF and SNK had a huge impact.

When I was living in Argentina during the 90s and even up to 2003 you would go to the arcades and see huge crowds of people around HUGE KOF cabinets. People from the "hood" loved this game for some reason. And the competition was VERY tight. Those were the best of times. Only compared to the early 90s SF2 days.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Professor
2575th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(8):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Wed 21 Oct 23:41:post reply

quote:
However in central and sud america KoF and SNK had a huge impact. Even in the 90s KoF was more popular than SF (or even VF, SC or Tekken) heavily in many countries and in most arcades (For example in Chile currenty is hard to even find Capcom machines; but MVS and the like are everywhere). SNK has more or less recognized this by focusing their market here more than any other company; for example prior to bankruptcy we had an "SNK Peru" side office, and post bankruptcy we had some beta tests and events in Mexico), I remember even the KoF official site mentioned that they more or less created Ramon to target the market place one of their biggest zones of effect (It was somewhere in the designer's interviews).

Now, if you want more or less "Street Knowledge", "KoF" was the game that the lads in the hood where looking forward to play, and in between each release they would play samusupi or garou or SF. In Chile KoF was so "big" that we had a 94', 95' and '96 machine 3 weeks after their jp release. The acquisition of other games could be delayed for months from the cabinet operator point of view, but KoF money earns where needed fast. If we speak Credit wise the games where, some times; more expensive than the other franchises, but where still more intensely played.

I don't know about Europe, because it's an evil place with evil people.

Wow, I knew that SNK was popular in the regions, but I didn't know about KOF's popularity. Thanks for clearing that up for me. That reminds me though, I remember of someone in Mexico trying to make a NeoGeo dedicated magazine back in the late 90s.. but I can't remember of the magazine's name. Humm....

[this message was edited by Professor on Wed 21 Oct 23:44]

kofoguz
779th Post

"Re(9):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 22 Oct 00:09post reply

quote:
Wow, I knew that SNK was popular in the regions, but I didn't know about KOF's popularity. Thanks for clearing that up for me. That reminds me though, I remember of someone in Mexico trying to make a NeoGeo dedicated magazine back in the late 90s.. but I can't remember of the magazine's name. Humm....

Yup, its much more popular in Turkiye than any SF. Even more popular than SF2.

Renewed Official site.
Also KoF Aniversary site is updated
I dont know if I ever post this here or its a clue of anything about the future of SNK, but it seems (I hopefully feel like actually) they're preparing for something big as Kukino said in that TGS09 "drunk video" interview.

Spoon
1837th Post

"Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 22 Oct 05:16post reply

KOF has always been SNK's biggest game around here in BC, the others don't really compare.

When Samurai Shodown was new and there was actual variety in fighting games in the Neo-Geo multi cabinets, other games got play... but once KOF took hold, people ignored the other stuff. The Samurai Shodown games after 5 (including 5S and Tenka) got almost no play, NGBC was largely ignored, and SVC only got play from people who were already playing KOF2k2 a lot more.

98UM, however, didn't see a lot of play. In fact, I think more people play regular 98 than 98UM. 2k2 still sees a lot of play last I saw. 2k2UM I don't know. KOFXI some people play, but many who play 2k2 do not play XI. KOFXII had some play early on, but now it too sees little play.

CvS2 was largely played by people who spent most of their time... on, well, CvS2 or 3S. Relatively few of the KOF players devoted much time to it.

Maou
1841th Post

"In praise of KOF" , posted Thu 22 Oct 06:28post reply

quote:

Wow, I knew that SNK was popular in the regions, but I didn't know about KOF's popularity.

Actually, the Professor's comment reminds me, though, that in a way it's really KOF we have to thank for this being such an interesting, international board! Wasn't it the KOF-type news that brought a lot of non-Americans here originally back in the day? KOF's popularity in the Central and South Americas was always interesting to me, especially given how it pales in popularity next to Street Fighter in Japan and the US. I've barely played KOF myself, though Samurai Spirits was fun, but I believe that I have the game to thank for lending such vitality to this wonderful BBS in this curious little corner of the internet.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Baines
249th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 22 Oct 09:38post reply

quote:
You guys are crazy. Who cares about property rights? SNK's games are SNK's games because SNK made them.

I like the Samurai Shodown characters. I'd like to see them return. After the most recent 3D game, I'd rather see someone other than SNK be responsible for it though. And it isn't just 3D. I have faith that a 2D SamSho game made by someone else probably wouldn't feel any less like a SamSho game than SS6 already managed.

It sure doesn't look like SNK will ever release another Fatal Fury, MOTW, or AOF regardless of their health. (I've said many times before that new sprites should have been introduced in an FF/MOTW game instead of KOF, where the task wouldn't have been overwhelming. But when it comes to fighters in modern day settings, SNK only sees KOF. And thus we got the half-finished KOF XII and its resulting backlash.)

On the other hand, SNK has run Metal Slug into the ground, only to repeatedly dig up its decaying corpse so that they could run it into the ground again and again. If we have to keep seeing Metal Slug games, it might almost be a breath of fresh air for SNK's name to not be attached to it.

And to be honest, SNK has been farming out its games for years anyway.

Toxico
4790th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 22 Oct 10:59post reply

quote:
After the most recent 3D game, I'd rather see someone other than SNK be responsible for it though.

Samusupi Sen was already made by "someone other"

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Phoenix
920th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 22 Oct 11:42:post reply

I think that a really well made 3D Metal Slug game that honors the spirit of the franchise and its characters while effectively producing that Metal Slug feeling of absolute mayhem would potentially be a huge hit for SNKP.

Maybe it can be handled in glorious 3D by someone like Infinity Ward who did Call of Duty? Or go the cell shaded route by someone like Ubisoft who did Prince of Persia and Rainbow Six Vegas 2?

SNKP should keep a close eye on its development and direct it like how Nintendo did with the development of Metroid Prime. I think this is an option that would be financially lucrative for SNKP at this point... And also a nice break from only doing fighters. Besides they need to start making 3D games at some point. Might as well learn from some of the best while they are at it.

[this message was edited by Phoenix on Thu 22 Oct 11:46]

KTallguy
1170th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 22 Oct 12:14post reply

They tried the 3D route with Metal Slug already: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHC7k2anklg

It's a shame that the majority of the fanbase is so entrenched in the older style titles. Yet SNKP doesn't have enough capital to do their various reboots any real justice. I actually enjoyed playing a bit of SamShoSen... they guys who did the models and animation are the same as the guys who worked on the later Tenchu titles, and I like the style. But it just didn't light the world on fire enough...

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Baines
250th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 22 Oct 12:20post reply

quote:
Samusupi Sen was already made by "someone other"

It was made by someone other, but SNK was still responsible for them making it.

Phoenix
920th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 22 Oct 12:25post reply

I like to think that the PS2 3D Metal Slug never happened... Since it was purely executed.

As for Samsho Sen, I'm actually pretty interested in trying it out. I'm not going bonkers over it but I'm intrigued. It might be a fun game.

Grave
1236th Post

"SHOCKING REVELATION! AND A QUESTION!" , posted Thu 22 Oct 14:07:post reply

Hey, can you adjust the HUD in KOF XII at all? While I do think the zoom on the sprites is way too severe, it'd be a lot more tolerable if I could get the meters to back off to the edges of the screen. They add so much to the claustrophobic feel that bugs me.

[this message was edited by Grave on Thu 22 Oct 14:08]

Loona
275th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 22 Oct 19:31post reply

quote:

Also KoF Aniversary site is updated

Nice, they finally added the profiles for the XI characters in the English version, it's about time.

Fuu
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Thu 22 Oct 22:50:post reply

quote:
next gen games are not just prettier PS2 games.

while in context this sentence makes sense and i get what you mean, i think it's kind of an unfair remark. Especially in a genre like fighting games that has very relative innovation, where games are rather prettier cps1/2/3/neogeo games(and sometimes it's very debatable that they are any prettier, but never mind). Does HD actually count beyond being prettier? Is resolution the only thing that matter at all?

quote:
Hi new person!

hi there, actually been lurking for so long that i didn't feel the need to introduce myself at all ;)

[this message was edited by Fuu on Fri 23 Oct 02:52]

Spoon
1838th Post

"Re(5):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 23 Oct 03:36post reply

quote:
next gen games are not just prettier PS2 games.

while in context this sentence makes sense and i get what you mean, i think it's kind of an unfair remark. Especially in a genre like fighting games that has very relative innovation, where games are rather prettier cps1/2/3/neogeo games(and sometimes it's very debatable that they are any prettier, but never mind). Does HD actually count beyond being prettier? Is resolution the only thing that matter at all?

There actually are.

Browser-based games are no new thing, but their superior integration into social networking portals is a big thing. The core gameplay of fighting games tends to change by iterations rather than by revolutions, but all the elements that surround the playing of the game, especially the social ones, have room for significant improvement.

For instance, a simple thing might be making training mode something you can play online with another person (rather than just versus mode). A more advanced thing would be to allow people to spectate that. A yet more advanced thing would be to allow the people that start that to designate one or two people in the room as "teachers", who in voice chat have the ability to squelch people who are not teachers. Yet more on top of that would be the ability to record training sessions: both the inputs, and the chat audio/text. Yet another step would be the ability to put these online in a manner that is integrated with the game (sure you can hit up youtube with the PS3 which has lots of tutorial videos, but that's not exactly integrated). And so on. Think about this: with the PS2, the HDD was wholly optional while all PS3s come with an HDD. Dealing with the possibility of not having an HDD is no longer an issue for PS3 developers, and features that make extensive use of large, writeable storage are now much more viable (though I have a feeling that trying to encode HD video capture of a game on your PS3 while playing that game on the same PS3 is going to be a bit more than the PS3 can handle).

When we think of "next-gen", we should think of more than just the graphics or the core gameplay. How to keep people involved with your game even when they are not playing it is a great question, with tons of answers. Sometimes it's as simple as having a score ticker you can check on to see how your favourite team/player/whatever is doing in the rankings. How about designating a spectator console to capture amd broadcast a game through a web portal so that when a big event or tournament is happening online, people who don't have access to a console can watch it? And so on. The possibilities are endless!

Freeter
4478th Post

"Re(1):SHOCKING REVELATION! AND A QUESTION!" , posted Fri 23 Oct 03:58post reply

quote:
Hey, can you adjust the HUD in KOF XII at all? While I do think the zoom on the sprites is way too severe, it'd be a lot more tolerable if I could get the meters to back off to the edges of the screen. They add so much to the claustrophobic feel that bugs me.

No, but you can switch to Arcade display and they won't be as bothersome.

shin ramberk
360th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 23 Oct 05:06post reply

quote:
Browser-based games are no new thing, but their superior integration into social networking portals is a big thing. The core gameplay of fighting games tends to change by iterations rather than by revolutions, but all the elements that surround the playing of the game, especially the social ones, have room for significant improvement.

The example you described Spoon is what developers need to be thinking about. Its a true next-gen idea because you are integrating new elements into an old format and genre with technology that was not available in the past.

Game developers are either too afraid of taking risks or are simply not imaginative enough.

Spoon, the example you described sounds like a perfect next-gen AOF game. It incorporates the idea of one-on-one fighting but puts it in the context of a group player setting with a teacher and students and lessons. Sort of like a sim.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Tai-Pan
392th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 23 Oct 06:33post reply

quote:

Game developers are either too afraid of taking risks or are simply not imaginative enough.

Or in the case of SNK, they either lack the money or the experience. SNK is not a next-gen ready company.

Iron D
3319th Post

"Re(8):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 23 Oct 08:38post reply

Spoon speaks truth folks! Hell, the very addition of online play is what is revitalizing the fighting scene in the current generation as is. The only thing that would expand it further is increasing how much current-gen technology is being integrated.

But on the other hand, I think all of this focus on online features is making developers forget about the 1P experience. Yes, KoF XII is criticized heavily for the shitty online capability, but in my opinion the lack of any extra kinds of modes is the bigger deficiency here.

In fact, SNK has ALWAYS been lacking in this area. If you don't have friends to play with (none of my closest friends are big fighting game players) there has to be something (besides online) to deepen the experience. Things like World Tour modes, really deep training modes that actually teach you how to play the game instead of just how to do specials and combo, deep story modes, mission modes, art galleries complete with character profiles, etc...stuff like that.

Namco has always been the best in this area; Tekkens and Soul Blade/Caliburs rarely come without extra modes like these (although they're better integrated in some cases than others), and Cap has done a great job sometimes (see SFA3 home versions) and not so great a job with others (home 3S really didn't have any fun extras). But when has SNK really shined in this area? They put the occasional art gallery in, and they actually have put in mission modes in the most recent KoFs, but I've still felt their home ports were still sort of lacking.

Er.....

KTallguy
1171th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(9):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 23 Oct 11:01post reply

It's so difficult to really make fun "home version extras" though.

I mean, Tekken Force isn't really that much fun (Even the Tekken 6 one left a bad taste in my mouth at TGS), Soul Calibur's challenge modes were just short matches with requirements and lots of loading, and Virtua Fighter's quest mode was just lots of matches with different AI (this is kind of the easiest solution in my mind).

The best "home version extra" is Tobal 2's quest mode, and it's kind of cheating, because it was never an arcade game anyway.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Amakusa
827th Post

"Re(9):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 23 Oct 14:32post reply

quote:

But on the other hand, I think all of this focus on online features is making developers forget about the 1P experience. Yes, KoF XII is criticized heavily for the shitty online capability, but in my opinion the lack of any extra kinds of modes is the bigger deficiency here.

In fact, SNK has ALWAYS been lacking in this area. If you don't have friends to play with (none of my closest friends are big fighting game players) there has to be something (besides online) to deepen the experience. Things like World Tour modes, really deep training modes that actually teach you how to play the game instead of just how to do specials and combo, deep story modes, mission modes, art galleries complete with character profiles, etc...stuff like that.

Namco has always been the best in this area; Tekkens and Soul Blade/Caliburs rarely come without extra modes like these (although they're better integrated in some cases than others), and Cap has done a great job sometimes (see SFA3 home versions) and not so great a job with others (home 3S really didn't have any fun extras). But when has SNK really shined in this area? They put the occasional art gallery in, and they actually have put in mission modes in the most recent KoFs, but I've still felt their home ports were still sort of lacking.

I hated Soul Calibur's challenge modes. I never bought a home version of Tekken so I can't say.

On the other hand, KOF R-2 for the NGPC had this silly side mode where you take one fighter and collect special abilities that either raise certain stacks or made all your attacks unblockable to giving your character Orochi's godbeam. I wasted so much time on that and even helped fill out the list of skills back in the day.

If they had something even as simple as that in a non-handheld game.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Grave
1236th Post

"Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 23 Oct 16:39post reply

Customizable Robo-Ky almost made me not hate GG Isuka!

Ha! No, nothing would stop me from hating that game. But Robo-Ky Potemkin Buster is lovely.

Loona
276th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 23 Oct 18:32post reply

quote:
Customizable Robo-Ky almost made me not hate GG Isuka!

Ha! No, nothing would stop me from hating that game. But Robo-Ky Potemkin Buster is lovely.

Although I'm no big fan of the GG series, I did put money in Isuka for one thing they did right and shouldbe done moreoften, even if only as a special option - letting you play a fighting game with friends/significant others, not necessarily against them (which doesn't last that long if you're far more experienced in the genre, unless you dumb down your playing and make it less fun for yourself).

Fatal Fury 1 allowed this to some extent back in the day, and considering the character-swapping KoF had in 2003 and XI (while giving the option of traditional mode in the latter), how far-fetched would it be to have a mode that lets 2 out of 3 team characters on screen at once for a story/arcade/survival mode?
Maybe it'd work best in a new FF, I'm not sure...

Have there been any other fighting games that allowed simultaneous play on the same side?
I recall once playing like this in SFA3 over Kailerra with a friend, althouh I don't know how he activated that mode. There's also the Smash Brothers series, but is that all?...

I think it'd be worth investing in in this age of growing casual gaming, the option to play with instead o against, while making the default setting "hardcore-friendly"...

Toxico
4792th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 23 Oct 19:40:post reply

quote:

Have there been any other fighting games that allowed simultaneous play on the same side?
I recall once playing like this in SFA3 over Kailerra with a friend, althouh I don't know how he activated that mode. There's also the Smash Brothers series, but is that all?...

Tekken Tag. It was not necessary to be 2 vs 2, it could also be 2 vs 1, of course the 1 player had to manage 2 characters.

Also the "party" game feature was more or less a genre back in the day; I used to play many PSX fighting games in a "rumble" type of way, and most of them weren't even wrestling games.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 23 Oct 19:42]

Iron D
3320th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 23 Oct 22:24post reply

quote:

Yeah, that's dramatic battle. You can have two on one side, two vs. one or any combination there-in.

quote:
It's so difficult to really make fun "home version extras" though.

I mean, Tekken Force isn't really that much fun (Even the Tekken 6 one left a bad taste in my mouth at TGS), Soul Calibur's challenge modes were just short matches with requirements and lots of loading, and Virtua Fighter's quest mode was just lots of matches with different AI (this is kind of the easiest solution in my mind).

The best "home version extra" is Tobal 2's quest mode, and it's kind of cheating, because it was never an arcade game anyway.

quote:
I hated Soul Calibur's challenge modes. I never bought a home version of Tekken so I can't say.

You two aren't arguing against extras for single player, are you? I had a blast with SC's challenge modes (for the most part...SC3's challenges could be a complete and utter pain in the ass).

Basically, I'd rather the options be there and be able to be ignored than not be there at all.

quote:
On the other hand, KOF R-2 for the NGPC had this silly side mode where you take one fighter and collect special abilities that either raise certain stacks or made all your attacks unblockable to giving your character Orochi's godbeam. I wasted so much time on that and even helped fill out the list of skills back in the day.

If they had something even as simple as that in a non-handheld game.

Something like this would be cool. Or even the bonus mini-games from SvC:MotM. Those were addictive and I spent as much time playing them as the actual game. Of course, the fact that you needed to play them to buy the extra supers for each character played into that, but still.

Er.....

Just a Person
1321th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 23 Oct 22:32post reply

quote:
I recall once playing like this in SFA3 over Kailerra with a friend, althouh I don't know how he activated that mode.

There's the Dramatic Battle mode in SFA3. In Arcade, you can play it by holding the three kick buttons before pressing Start in the title screen. In the home versions, it is available from the start in most of the consoles; the exception, I think, was the PSX version, which demanded the player beat Arcade Mode in the hardest difficulty and would initially allow to play it only as Ryu & Ken or Juli & Juni (beating Dramatic Battle with both teams would allow the player to choose his own team).

It is a fun mode, but unfortunately too short and following the same fight order at least in the earlier versions (vs. Adon, vs. Akuma, vs. Balrog, vs. Vega, vs. Sagat and finally vs. Shin M.Bison). Maybe the Dreamcast version and PSP version didn't have this limitation, I don't know.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Loona
277th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Fri 23 Oct 23:00post reply

quote:

There's the Dramatic Battle mode in SFA3. In Arcade, you can play it by holding the three kick buttons before pressing Start in the title screen. In the home versions, it is available from the start in most of the consoles;

Thanks! - If this applies to the version in SFA Anthology for the PS2, I may have to consider getting that one.

TTT wouldn't quite qualify as it's still a solo game if you're up against the computer.

Ishmael
3604th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sat 24 Oct 01:43post reply

Spoon had some great ideas about new avenues that fighting games could move in, even if I personally wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of people being able to watch as I flounder about in training mode. But all the suggestions that have been presented in this thread for how to enhance a home release are sound. If a player doesn't like an extra it can easily be ignored but not having any sort of options in the game only helps to whittle down the potential audience.

Burning Ranger
1617th Post

"..." , posted Sat 24 Oct 07:59post reply

What is all this talk of "extras" in fighting games? I think the idea that games *need* "extras" is just a cop-out preventing companies delivering a good main-game experience.

Now this is just me talking, but when I play a fighting game, or any game for that matter, I base my opinions on main-game experience. The criteria on how we measure this experience will no doubt differ from player to player. For me, it's a combination of gameplay, graphics, sound, presentation and most importantly, feel. And by feel, I mean the ability of a game to engage my attention. Similar to how a film engages me as a viewer. It's a mixture of different elements that makes a game whole.

I bring all this up because in my book, this is where SNK has been failing for a long time now, especially when it comes to its fighting games (see exception). For example, KOF98 was more engaging to me than KOF02, and certainly more than KOF XII. And none of these games had fancy *extras*

Now sure, extras can help (I've even said that it would probably have made KOF XII a decent purchase), but in my mind, if any company can't deliver on a solid gaming experience, then you can't expect them to turn out solid product.

Now the exception: Metal Slug.

Spoon
1839th Post

"Re(1):..." , posted Sat 24 Oct 09:23post reply

quote:
What is all this talk of "extras" in fighting games? I think the idea that games *need* "extras" is just a cop-out preventing companies delivering a good main-game experience.

Now this is just me talking, but when I play a fighting game, or any game for that matter, I base my opinions on main-game experience. The criteria on how we measure this experience will no doubt differ from player to player. For me, it's a combination of gameplay, graphics, sound, presentation and most importantly, feel. And by feel, I mean the ability of a game to engage my attention. Similar to how a film engages me as a viewer. It's a mixture of different elements that makes a game whole.

I bring all this up because in my book, this is where SNK has been failing for a long time now, especially when it comes to its fighting games (see exception). For example, KOF98 was more engaging to me than KOF02, and certainly more than KOF XII. And none of these games had fancy *extras*

Now sure, extras can help (I've even said that it would probably have made KOF XII a decent purchase), but in my mind, if any company can't deliver on a solid gaming experience, then you can't expect them to turn out solid product.

Now the exception: Metal Slug.

I think that what they really need to spend their time, money, and thought on is neither extras nor "main gameplay".

They need to put all that into marketing.

Nothing helps finding people to play with than a game that people actually have heard of and gotten a copy of!

Iron D
3322th Post

"Re(2):..." , posted Sat 24 Oct 10:18:post reply

quote:

Nothing helps finding people to play with than a game that people actually have heard of and gotten a copy of!

Unless the game in question has unplayably shitty netplay. Again, some of us don't have enough friends who play fighting games for local play to provide a suitable multi-player experience.

Er.....

[this message was edited by Iron D on Sat 24 Oct 18:27]

Fuu
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sat 24 Oct 16:43post reply

I am surprised so many people here would concentrate on extras, they can be nice divertissments sure, but when it comes to fighting games the 1p "experience" revolves mostly around learning/abusing the patterns of bad AI. Just do that 3rd srk Ken, i'll show you who is the boss!

So Namco makes fun extras right? After getting a casual friend into playing Tekken4, i bought T5 thinking he'd like to play that. He either got bored or whatever, and he did not. So disheartened, i started toying around with the 1p game. There was this mode that simulated an arcade, and you'd fight AI opponents that apparently were ghosts of actual players iirc. After playing for an hour or so, i realized the CPU would never, ever guard a df+punch move, from any characters. After testing this for a bit, it goes without saying that i stopped playing that extra mode altogether, and actually i never touched another Tekken since but for other reasons.

I'm sure there are games with better AI than T5, but with a modicum of competency, playing against the cpu means playing a gimped game that lacks what makes the actual experience interesting at all.

Iron D
3322th Post

"Re(5):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sat 24 Oct 18:34post reply

quote:
I am surprised so many people here would concentrate on extras, they can be nice divertissments sure, but when it comes to fighting games the 1p "experience" revolves mostly around learning/abusing the patterns of bad AI. Just do that 3rd srk Ken, i'll show you who is the boss!

So Namco makes fun extras right? After getting a casual friend into playing Tekken4, i bought T5 thinking he'd like to play that. He either got bored or whatever, and he did not. So disheartened, i started toying around with the 1p game. There was this mode that simulated an arcade, and you'd fight AI opponents that apparently were ghosts of actual players iirc. After playing for an hour or so, i realized the CPU would never, ever guard a df+punch move, from any characters. After testing this for a bit, it goes without saying that i stopped playing that extra mode altogether, and actually i never touched another Tekken since but for other reasons.

I'm sure there are games with better AI than T5, but with a modicum of competency, playing against the cpu means playing a gimped game that lacks what makes the actual experience interesting at all.

So for people like you, there is always the option of simply ignoring the extras. No one is forcing you to play them.

For folks like me, I do believe that versus play is the meat and potatoes of most (if not all) fighting games, but I also love to chill and just play through an arcade mode or something to take a break from continuous versus play.

Despite the apparent negative experiences some Cafeers have had with single player modes, there is a reason why one of the most commonly cited problems with KoFXII is that it's lacking in extra modes.

Er.....

Pollyanna
2792th Post

"Re(6):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sat 24 Oct 18:45post reply

I like extra modes in 3D fighters because the movelists are so bothersome to remember and non-intuitive that I need a way to make myself comfortable with the characters. Unlocking extra costumes and accessories is also a fun plus that gives you motivation to play the extra modes, but doesn't force you into it if you want to jump straight into Vs.

This is usually a non-issue with 2D fighters (for me at least), though I did enjoy the combo training mode in SF4. Unlocking icons, titles and colors was kind of fun and gave me some motivation to play the game alone. Of course, I spent most of my time playing Vs online, but I can't deny that I got a kick out of the single player experience as well.

I most certainly agree that the vs experience should be the backbone of any fighter, but it is nice to have a way to enjoy the game on your own sometime. Although some AI can give a satisfying experience (VF5), none can really replicate playing against another human...so I think "extra" sort of modes that explore the game in a different way are the best solution.

These days, I feel like a solid online experience is most important, though...and that's where KOF XII really let me down.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Toxico
4792th Post

"Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 25 Oct 03:14post reply

I must be getting lazy... Since I usually catch the news first

famitshu

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 10 as of 23/11/09

Iggy
9003th Post

"Re(1):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 25 Oct 04:37post reply

quote:
I must be getting lazy... Since I usually catch the news first

famitshu

I'm depressed.

Ishmael
3605th Post

"Re(1):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 25 Oct 05:07post reply

While I disagree with the notion that anything that deviates from the vs experience is unnecessary I am curious how far that line of thought can go. Are characters a distraction? KoFXII broke the bank on 2D graphics. Since animation is, in the end, simply an exercise in aesthetics that adds nothing to mechanics of the game should graphics be considered flab as well? Settings and scenerios are also so much window dressing so could those be discarded? Why do the characters even have names since numbers could just as easily be used for designation purposes?

When taken to its extreme conclusion, polygons clumped together to form vaugely humanoid blobs could easily be used to create the ulitmate straight edge fighting game. Imagine how low the overhead on that game would be and how easy it would be to update!

The only game I can think of that even unintentionally had this puritanical approach was the first Virtua Fighter. Probably because the technology being used could only create sparse looking characters the folks at Sega barely fleshed out the scenerio and ended up creating a character roster that had the least amount of personality in fighthing game history. While the sequels have kept that empty vessel approach to the characters the games have also tried to be graphic powerhouses. Those two ideals are in direct conflict with each other which gives the games something of a schizophrenic feel.

Toxico
4793th Post

"Re(2):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 25 Oct 05:16post reply

quote:

When taken to its extreme conclusion, polygons clumped together to form vaugely humanoid blobs could easily be used to create the ulitmate straight edge fighting game. Imagine how low the overhead on that game would be and how easy it would be to update!

The only game I can think of that even unintentionally had this puritanical approach was the first Virtua Fighter.

I'll curse you forever, since you have unlocked the forbidden memories

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

chazumaru
680th Post

"(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 25 Oct 08:09:post reply

If I remember their latest IR report correctly, SNKP's operating income was positive last year (in simpler terms, that means they did not lose money).

SNKP is probably screwed for several reasons, most of them linked to who they got in business with, who they got in bad terms with and who they might or might not have thrown out of a taxi one night. However, via its arcade/pachinko operations, SNKP is also a very useful front for some of their investors. This is why I think the company will stay afloat for a few years no matter what. This is the magic of offer and demand: the bad economy means less and less companies can offer some useful services that SNK can provide, especially as a company set in the Osaka area. As long as such specific services are needed (which is forever) and as long as SNKP can provide these services (this is more questionable), the company will stay around.

But I guess this is not our true concern. What we all wonder is whether SNKP will remain a game company, either as a consumer game publisher and/or an arcade game developer. This is much less certain.

In general, the marvel of SNK's business was that it offered a great product (MVS) with popular software (fighting games) for a thriving market (game centers). Furthermore, they expanded their quality product by tapping into a healthy secondary market (Neo Geo Home console) and finding a niche there from the early to mid-Nineties.

However, they did not anticipate the turnaround correctly. Now, let's forget for a minute that the arcade business crashed. Even in an alternative universe of thriving game centers, I think SNKP would have still struggled at the turn of the century.

They did not provide a correct hardware replacement which could have offered the same advantages as MVS (price, catalogue, maintenance and versatility) to arcade operators. Although they are often blamed for missing the jump to 3D, I would argue that it was possibly difficult for them to fight with powerhouses such Sega and Namco on that field. On the other hand, their huge mistake was that they did not jump on the new bandwagon: Bemani-type games. They also ran out of luck as Atlus got the idea of Purikura. This is the kind of business expansion they needed to survive in the changing game center economy, rather than games. Still, that does not excuse the miss on music games. Oh and that is not 100% SNK's fault but they did not manage to protect MVS from piracy efficiently.

Now consider that both the arcade and pachinko businesses are crashing down, and SNKP's core business is in deep trouble.

The business expansion was miserable as well (outside of pachinko, but that one is more related to SNK's investors than anything else). From 1998 on, SNK never really went anywhere with the consumer game business. As a publisher, they heavily burnt their wings on the Sacnoth fiasco (1999) and probably could not afford PS2 development kits for a while. As a hardware maker, they tried something interesting with the Neo Geo Pocket: to produce a young adult / otaku oriented handheld at the moment the Game Boy became a craze among kids again (thanks to Pokémon). I do not think the Game Boy Color was such a big threat for them because SNK had probably planned that they would never compete with Nintendo directly.

However, where they got really unlucky is with the arrival of the Wonderswan as a more proper alternative to the newly released Game Boy Color. The Wonderswan had a more original concept than NGP: it could brag its cheap price, versatile screen, insane battery life or focus on cellphone connections for "online" multiplayer and data exchange. More importantly, the Wonderswan benefited from much higher profile support such as licenses from Bandai and Squaresoft (and the sneaky support of Sony to pester Nintendo). As a result, SNK got even more competition than planned. Not only did they have to swallow the newly released Game Boy Color, they also had to face a (much richer) challenger which was openly going for the N°2 spot by targeting the same young adult gamers that SNK wanted.

Please remember that following these two misadventures and the demise of their main business, SNK effectively DIED. They had failed. They were not making any business anymore. There is a little "P" in SNKP to remind us of that. The full story of how that "P" came to the world and snatched SNK back from Aruze is left to rumor mills and surreal anecdotes at business dinners.

What is certain is that what SNK was doing from 1998 to 2000 was as nice for us gamers as it was terrible for their finances. There is absolutely no way they will come back to that. It would be insane, even by their standards.

So when you consider of the easy money made over the years by licensing their franchises on other consoles, you can understand why SNK have mostly relied on ports then re-releases/remakes then compilations (and now compilations of compilations) of their Neo Geo games. Given how cheap this has been over the years (first through extremely budget-efficient contracted studios, now thanks to the magic of emulators and Chinese developpers), SNKP is guaranteed a nice return on investment even though it devalues their franchises and the money coming back is slimmer each time.

Fortunately for them, the side business of cellphone games (which might or might not have been profitable for SNK, I have no idea, but it was probably quite inexpensive anyway) gave them the infrastructure for developing Nintendo DS games at the moment it boomed. Yet with the exception of the first Majô Shinpan, most sales have been mere blips in the sales charts radar.

So in a nutshell, my belief is that SNKP will never come back to the production value, design etiquette and editorial choices that made them popular among us. As Toxico mentioned, most of the staff from their golden age already left anyway (by the way many of them left for Dimps, the developer of Street Fighter IV).

Even without considering the publisher's legacy, the current SNK(P) is not properly equipped to thrive in the current (very tough) consumer market. But do they really need to be? I am not so sure. I would have preferred if they had managed a proper conversion to the realities of the 21st century's market but hey, not anyone can be Hudson.

That also mean we cannot expect much from them. KOF12 was an anomaly, to such a degree that they were forced to release the game unfinished in order to keep on financing the production of the final game which, if it ever comes out, will probably be called KOF13. SNKP has no business (in all senses of the word) making such games now. It is sad but gamers should come to terms with this reality.

Business-wise, SNKP are better off with heir current lazy policy of cashing in on ROM compilations, IP licensing and downloadable contents while taking small risks with cheap DS projects that will probably bomb but never cost too much in the first place.

And yes the next lazy safe step is definitely the Valis route, sadly.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sun 25 Oct 08:11]

Maese
535th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 25 Oct 09:49post reply

quote:

When I read this I was just about making some smartass comment like "hey, that's Virtua Fighter for you!", but ol' Ishmael beat me to it in his own post.

Anyway, about extras and whatnot.

I won't argue that a solid-rock gameplay is a must for any fighter, but the wrapping IS important as well. I know I'm just a weirdo, but I tend to like the whole paraphernalia surrounding a game, the "world" that game recreates, more than the game itself. Neither am I a big fan of vs playing, probably just because I'm an antisocial guy who does not tolerate the company of other human beings all too well, but the fact that most of my friends are either gods of the joystick or total noobs regarding videogames doesn't help. I can't possibly compete with the formers nor have fun with the latters. Hence, only the one-player experience is left for me to enjoy. And all those background stories, plots and subplots, character designs, etc. definitely add a lot to that experience. It's not only about extra stuff.

Sure, if the gameplay is really good then I'll have more than enough with just a bare-bones arcade mode. I've played SF2 or Tekken 1 to death just beacuse I loved them with a passion. But I do appreciate when developers try to bring something new and intertesting. Soul Edge's quest mode comes to mind.

I haven't tried KOFXII yet, but I find its approach a bit offensive. Sure as hell it's gorgeous to look at, and perhaps it plays as good as it looks (I don't know). But come on, a game with not even a final boss? With no story whatsoever? Where's your respect for the consumer, SNK? It would be bad enough for any fighter, but this seems specially painful in KOF's case. KOF has always distinguished itself for its care and love for details. A KOF in a poor wrapping is not a KOF for me.

Baines
251th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 25 Oct 10:56post reply

quote:
Soul Calibur's challenge modes were just short matches with requirements and lots of loading, and Virtua Fighter's quest mode was just lots of matches with different AI (this is kind of the easiest solution in my mind).

What I liked about VF4 Evo's quest mode was that the opponents did feel kind of like you were playing against different people. That is a feeling that has always been sorely lacking from the one-player mode of fighting games, and I've long wanted to see followed.

As for Soul Calibur, I've always felt that Namco fumbled the ball with its quest mode. They had a pretty decent way of telling a fuller version of each game's story mode, but never followed on its potential. You had the characters moving around the world, with bits of story between each encounter, and even excuses for special battle situations. But instead of making it a truer story mode, Namco just used it to tell increasingly alternate world scenarios and became increasingly focused on battle gimmicks.

Maese
538th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 25 Oct 11:15post reply

quote:

As for Soul Calibur, I've always felt that Namco fumbled the ball with its quest mode. They had a pretty decent way of telling a fuller version of each game's story mode, but never followed on its potential. You had the characters moving around the world, with bits of story between each encounter, and even excuses for special battle situations. But instead of making it a truer story mode, Namco just used it to tell increasingly alternate world scenarios and became increasingly focused on battle gimmicks.

You are totally right. That's why I mentioned the original Soul Edge's quest mode, and not the ones from Soul Calibur onwards. In Soul Edge, the quest mode did actually tell the tale of each character in a more or less comprehensive way, while adding some diversity from the regular arcade mode with some alternative fighting scenarios (which also allowed to learn some useful tricks to improve your gameplay). Such approach really adds depth to the whole game. It really compelled you to finish it with each and every character, not just to get all their weapons, but to know more about them and their world as well. I loved it.

But Soul Calibur onwards, quest modes always felt like a chore: way too long, tedious for the most part, and the character's implications were random at best. It did not matter whether you choose Voldo or Seung Mina, the quest was all the same. A nice extra, sure, with some good stuff on it too, but a wasted opportunity all the way. Well, at least Namco was willing to try.

Tai-Pan
394th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Sun 25 Oct 13:18post reply

quote:
It is sad but gamers should come to terms with this reality.

I refuse...

...other than that,..you are a genius and I love you

Fuu
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Sun 25 Oct 17:33post reply

quote:
While I disagree with the notion that anything that deviates from the vs experience is unnecessary I am curious how far that line of thought can go. Are characters a distraction? KoFXII broke the bank on 2D graphics. Since animation is, in the end, simply an exercise in aesthetics that adds nothing to mechanics of the game should graphics be considered flab as well? Settings and scenerios are also so much window dressing so could those be discarded? Why do the characters even have names since numbers could just as easily be used for designation purposes?

The only game I can think of that even unintentionally had this puritanical approach was the first Virtua Fighter. Probably because the technology being used could only create sparse looking characters the folks at Sega barely fleshed out the scenerio and ended up creating a character roster that had the least amount of personality in fighthing game history. While the sequels have kept that empty vessel approach to the characters the games have also tried to be graphic powerhouses. Those two ideals are in direct conflict with each other which gives the games something of a schizophrenic feel.

WAY ahead of you!

kofoguz
782th Post

"Re(1):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Mon 26 Oct 05:09post reply

quote:
Wise and cruel post by Chazumaru.

Can I share this in another forum? The Café is not the only place where people wonder what will happen with SNKP.

Ishmael
3606th Post

"Re(3):Bets on SNKP's future" , posted Mon 26 Oct 05:25post reply

My thanks to Chazumaru for the summary of the tragic melodrama that is/was SNK. It was level-headed and much more honest about that status of the company than SNKP probably is with itself.

quote:
I'll curse you forever, since you have unlocked the forbidden memories

Hahaha! I'd like to think that Divine in that game is based off of the late, great Divine from several of John Waters' movies, since it would probably be the only redeeming feature of Ballz. Seriously, someone named a game Ballz? Geez.

chazumaru
680th Post

"Re(2):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Mon 26 Oct 06:43post reply

quote:
Can I share this in another forum? The Café is not the only place where people wonder what will happen with SNKP.

Sure. One should never avoid a great opportunity to make me to look stupid when SNKP releases Mark of the Wolves 2 in high definition 2D on a brand new engine and somehow makes millions out of it.

Also my duty is to spread the rumor that Iggy is a closet Ishmael fangirl and will squee when reading the John Waters-related post above mine.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

kofoguz
783th Post

"Re(3):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Mon 26 Oct 07:06post reply

quote:
Sure. One should never avoid a great opportunity to make me to look stupid when SNKP releases Mark of the Wolves 2 in high definition 2D on a brand new engine and somehow makes millions out of it.

I'm sorry but I really really wish you would look stupid in this case.
Joke aside, here I was hoping that they would announce Neo-Geo 2 (well to make it worse I was expecting them to announce it 2011, sure the world will end (!) 2012 so why not?).

quote:

Also my duty is to spread the rumor that Iggy is a closet Ishmael fangirl and will squee when reading the John Waters-related post above mine.

*in an ridicolous Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor voice*
NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Not sure why, just wanted to yell I guess.

End of Spoiler

nobinobita
638th Post

"Re(1):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Mon 26 Oct 08:49post reply

quote:
If I remember their latest IR report correctly, SNKP's operating income was positive last year (in simpler terms, that means they did not lose money)...

<awesome recap of SNK biz practices>

...And yes the next lazy safe step is definitely the Valis route, sadly.

Thanks for that very illuminating write up on the state of SNK. Do you write on games regularly? If so, please let me know where you post because I really enjoy your insights into how decisions are made from a business perspective.

I also very much agree with your earlier comment about how they should have invested more time and effort (and money) into marketing.

The US marketing for KOF XII was horrible. Aside from having very little visibility (most people I knew who enjoyed SNK games in the past had no idea that there was even a KOF XII) the campaign itself was actually repugnant. "You haven't felt RAGE LIKE THIS BEFORE!" It was embarrassing and alienating to watch. I wish someone at SNKP or Ignition could have come up with an actual strategy for raising awareness for the game with the right people.

At the same time, the game was unfinished so it would have had horrible, sales-stopping word of mouth anyway.

Maou
1843th Post

"Re(2):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Mon 26 Oct 09:00:post reply

quote:

Thanks for that very illuminating write up on the state of SNK. Do you write on games regularly? If so, please let me know where you post because I really enjoy your insights into how decisions are made from a business perspective.

Psst, hey Nobi, have a look at GamaSutra and Game Developer magazine. I forget if Chaz works there or not, but it's where his old fellow Insert Credit champion Brandon seems to lord over now. Pretty great!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 26 Oct 09:01]

nobinobita
639th Post

"Re(3):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Mon 26 Oct 12:31post reply

quote:

Psst, hey Nobi, have a look at GamaSutra and Game Developer magazine. I forget if Chaz works there or not, but it's where his old fellow Insert Credit champion Brandon seems to lord over now. Pretty great!

Ah, so he's the Chaz that did the feature/interview with Mitchell Corp on Insert Credit.

Chazumaru, I really enjoy your writing. When i read it i think "this is a competant guy who is comfortable with his love for videogames and does his research!"

I hope more of your writing is published in English. Do you have more writing posted in French anywhere? I'm beginning to think I should learn French. Lately all the most interesting sites about videogames or animation have been in French.

Freeter
4479th Post

"Re(2):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Mon 26 Oct 13:40post reply

quote:

The US marketing for KOF XII was horrible. Aside from having very little visibility (most people I knew who enjoyed SNK games in the past had no idea that there was even a KOF XII) the campaign itself was actually repugnant. "You haven't felt RAGE LIKE THIS BEFORE!" It was embarrassing and alienating to watch. I wish someone at SNKP or Ignition could have come up with an actual strategy for raising awareness for the game with the right people.

Awareness is certainly not something SNKP or Ignition are striving for, if their presence (or lack thereof) at Comic-Con was any indication. Being tucked away in a tight corner running KOFXII on two small PC monitors isn't exactly going to draw crowds.

quote:
Seriously, someone named a game Ballz? Geez.

They must have held the pitch meeting for that game at a pub.

chazumaru
681th Post

"Re(4):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Tue 27 Oct 17:12post reply

Thanks for the nice comments Nobita. I indeed wrote some news and one interview for Insert Credit around 2005-2006.

I do not write for Gamasutra/Game Developer but Brandon Sheffield ("exodus" here/Insert credit creator) is one of the main guys there. I am fortunate enough to be currently employed by a large company in the game industry. So I do write a lot of stuff in English (among other languages), but it is only read by three or four people.

I write a lot about games and other things on one French message board but if you are only a beginner in French, I am afraid you will be lost by the cultural references and private jokes. I do encourage you to learn French, it is a great language and French people are getting worse at at it so we need help from the outside to raise the bar.

+ I don't know if this is well known overseas but foreigners speaking French with their foreign accent sound extremely hot and can get us in bed easily.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

kofoguz
784th Post

"Re(5):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Tue 27 Oct 20:22post reply

quote:
Thanks for the nice comments Nobita. I indeed wrote some news and one interview for Insert Credit around 2005-2006.

I do not write for Gamasutra/Game Developer but Brandon Sheffield ("exodus" here/Insert credit creator) is one of the main guys there. I am fortunate enough to be currently employed by a large company in the game industry. So I do write a lot of stuff in English (among other languages), but it is only read by three or four people.

I write a lot about games and other things on one French message board but if you are only a beginner in French, I am afraid you will be lost by the cultural references and private jokes. I do encourage you to learn French, it is a great language and French people are getting worse at at it so we need help from the outside to raise the bar.

+ I don't know if this is well known overseas but foreigners speaking French with their foreign accent sound extremely hot and can get us in bed easily.

I'm planning to learn french this year, too.

Iggy
9004th Post

"Re(5):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Tue 27 Oct 20:38post reply

quote:

Noooooooo!!!
Our secret weakness!
TRAITOR!!!!

kofoguz
785th Post

"Re(6):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Tue 27 Oct 22:48post reply

quote:
Noooooooo!!!
Our secret weakness!
TRAITOR!!!!

One more reason to learn French, Mon Sieur. Cause it works vice-versa. Native French speakers are sound hot and they can get me bed easily.

Toxico
4795th Post

"Re(5):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Wed 28 Oct 04:00:post reply

quote:

French used to be a mandatory subject in my high school..... Thinking about it now, the truth has finally been unveiled!!!!

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 28 Oct 04:04]

Tai-Pan
395th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Wed 28 Oct 05:31post reply

quote:

Noooooooo!!!
Our secret weakness!
TRAITOR!!!!

So the french have a weakness after all...
Does it apply to women as well?

Iggy
9005th Post

"Re(7):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Wed 28 Oct 06:19post reply

quote:
So the french have a weakness after all...
Does it apply to women as well?

To most of the ones I know, at least.

But there's a trick: it depends on the original language of the speaker. For example, a British citizen speaking French is irresistible... until you see his face you just run away in horror. On the other hand, a German speaking French will most likely be laughed at and thrown rotten eggs unless he is dressed in Hugo Boss. And don't get me started with Japanese people speaking French.

kofoguz
786th Post

"Re(8):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Wed 28 Oct 16:42post reply

quote:
To most of the ones I know, at least.

But there's a trick: it depends on the original language of the speaker. For example, a British citizen speaking French is irresistible... until you see his face you just run away in horror. On the other hand, a German speaking French will most likely be laughed at and thrown rotten eggs unless he is dressed in Hugo Boss. And don't get me started with Japanese people speaking French.

How about Turkish people speking French? That's very important.

Iggy
9007th Post

"Re(9):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Wed 28 Oct 19:34post reply

quote:

They are all over 80 years old, like the French-speaking Iranian people. Unfortunately, at least for the Iranian.

chazumaru
686th Post

"Re(9):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's futu" , posted Thu 29 Oct 00:11post reply

quote:

Turkish people are cursed with the fate of speaking French way too fluently (same problem as Lebanese people); therefore there never is any accent included to arouse anyone. I am afraid you are out of luck.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

kofoguz
787th Post

"Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP's fut" , posted Thu 29 Oct 00:50post reply

quote:

Turkish people are cursed with the fate of speaking French way too fluently (same problem as Lebanese people); therefore there never is any accent included to arouse anyone. I am afraid you are out of luck.

Thats bad. But it will work one way anyway. You guys will turn me on.

Back on topic; I wonder SnkP will try 3D after Skystage? And would they leave KOF/SS/MS label on the desk at least for a while (or for just one title), if they will work on 3D games?

Should they? Would they? Could they?

Tai-Pan
396th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP" , posted Thu 29 Oct 03:36post reply

quote:

Maybe, YES!, No?

nobinobita
644th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP" , posted Thu 29 Oct 13:47:post reply

quote:
I do encourage you to learn French, it is a great language and French people are getting worse at at it so we need help from the outside to raise the bar.

Cooool. I will start practicing my Arthur Rimbaud poems then.

quote:

Back on topic; I wonder SnkP will try 3D after Skystage? And would they leave KOF/SS/MS label on the desk at least for a while (or for just one title), if they will work on 3D games?

I think SNK is in a similar position as Marvel Comics were a while back, just on a smaller scale. They got a ton of great original IP, something most companies would kill for. KIIILLLLL!!!

They just don't know how to make money from them. At least not in the big picture it would seem.

SNKs cast of characters may not be as widely recognized as Nintendo's or Capcom's, but they still have greater brand recognition and loyalty than most other companies who put far more money into advertising than they do. So they can keep licensing little things out here and there, but they'll also have to do things to keep the IPs alive. This is one good reason for them to continue making games (much like why Marvel continues to make comics even though they're not very profitable).

They could also follow Capcom's lead and get some sort of Udon-like operation going; get a bunch of hardcore fans to make official fan fictions in different medias to keep your IP alive among your most ardent fans. They have a good chance to grow their fanbase as well, since they have so many characters that are so instantly appealing. I'll bet 75% of people who cosplay as Capcom or SNK characters don't really play the fighting games.

I think with some proper leadership they can really pull through and be profitable and continue to make money from a loyal fan base. Although this may entail them being bought out by a larger company much like how Marvel is now owned by Disney.

Maybe SNK will just concentrate on Pachinko from now on (like Chazumaru said, this is the safe, logical thing for them to do), but something ought to happen w/the ownership of all those great franchises. They can't just fizzle out into obscurity. That'd be such a shame (and a lost opportunity to make lots of $$$).

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 29 Oct 14:22]

Loona
278th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP" , posted Fri 30 Oct 19:33post reply

quote:

The MI series showed they can handle 3D decently, but they dropped that now, and I wonder if that disposal included some of the staff working on the title - they can't afford to lose people who don't rely on 2D exclusively if they want to keep a foothold in the business...

Stuff comes to mind, like a hypothetical FPS or military tactics games featuring Ikari characters and whatnot, but this is the company that released a card game when they reached an agreement with Capcom - I like their ability to surprise and hope they still have it, as long as they don't shoot themselves in the foot with it (I'm not really that much into shmups to tell if Skystage is anything worthwhile...)

quote:

I think SNK is in a similar position as Marvel Comics were a while back, just on a smaller scale. They got a ton of great original IP, something most companies would kill for. KIIILLLLL!!!

And outside the game it's being wasted on pachinko, bad Hong Kong comics and a certain movie that won't exactly help the IP...

quote:

They just don't know how to make money from them. At least not in the big picture it would seem.

SNKs cast of characters may not be as widely recognized as Nintendo's or Capcom's, but they still have greater brand recognition and loyalty than most other companies who put far more money into advertising than they do. So they can keep licensing little things out here and there, but they'll also have to do things to keep the IPs alive. This is one good reason for them to continue making games (much like why Marvel continues to make comics even though they're not very profitable).

They could also follow Capcom's lead and get some sort of Udon-like operation going; get a bunch of hardcore fans to make official fan fictions in different medias to keep your IP alive among your most ardent fans. They have a good chance to grow their fanbase as well, since they have so many characters that are so instantly appealing. I'll bet 75% of people who cosplay as Capcom or SNK characters don't really play the fighting games.

I think with some proper leadership they can really pull through and be profitable and continue to make money from a loyal fan base. Although this may entail them being bought out by a larger company much like how Marvel is now owned by Disney.

Maybe SNK will just concentrate on Pachinko from now on (like Chazumaru said, this is the safe, logical thing for them to do), but something ought to happen w/the ownership of all those great franchises. They can't just fizzle out into obscurity. That'd be such a shame (and a lost opportunity to make lots of $$$).

I like the idea of something Udon-like, bu even with an IP as strong as SF, Udon doesn't seem to be profiting all that much from that - then again their primary market seems to be the US, and SNK is stronger just about everywhere else (Asia, latin America, arabic countries/middle east, some of Europe?).

The right medium would have to be found that can reach all those areas and languages...

Something like an official webcomic or KoF Another Day-like animation project that sets the canon straight and gets released and translated simultaneously could work, as I don't see something more reliant on physical media by default to help their cause.

Then again, it took years for them to add KoF XI characters to the KoF anniversary site, and I think the english version of the KoF MI2 site is still missing a few character profiles or backstories...

Focusing a bit outside Japan on the little things would be a good start.

nobinobita
645th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP" , posted Fri 30 Oct 23:36post reply

quote:

I like the idea of something Udon-like, bu even with an IP as strong as SF, Udon doesn't seem to be profiting all that much from that - then again their primary market seems to be the US, and SNK is stronger just about everywhere else (Asia, latin America, arabic countries/middle east, some of Europe?).

Udon probably isn't very profitable, and Capcom probably makes very little money from them directly, but the important thing is that Udon keeps Capcom's IP alive in the minds of fans. Street Fighter IV may not have come out without Udon keeping the flame burning and showing Capcom Japan that the US does indeed care for Street Fighter. Udon bears all the risk in the relationship while Capcom can sit back, enjoy the better than free advertisement and occasionally collect some royalties. It's this kind of thinking that keeps Capcom ahead of other Japanese companies trying to compete in the US.

quote:

Focusing a bit outside Japan on the little things would be a good start.

It would be great if SNK could throw a bone to all their fans in Latin America and the rest of Asia. There's money to be made there! It's too bad they're so scared of piracy and can't think of alternative ways to make a profit.

There's alot of talk these days about Japanese game companies falling behind in the "next gen". I truly believe they are falling behind, not in gameplay, but in marketing.

Spoon
1846th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP" , posted Sat 31 Oct 03:43post reply

quote:

It would be great if SNK could throw a bone to all their fans in the rest of Asia.

When you say that I am suddenly reminded of the KOF MMO.... both of them.

At some point this is going to turn into the "make a business plan for SNKP" thread!

kofoguz
788th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP" , posted Sat 31 Oct 04:15post reply

quote:

It would be great if SNK could throw a bone to all their fans in the rest of Asia.

When you say that I am suddenly reminded of the KOF MMO.... both of them.

At some point this is going to turn into the "make a business plan for SNKP" thread!

Well, if only they would take notes.

mbisonhatclub
128th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP" , posted Sat 31 Oct 23:23post reply

quote:

Well, if only they would take notes.

And if only they would actually use those notes!

Loona
280th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP" , posted Mon 2 Nov 23:55post reply

quote:

Udon probably isn't very profitable, and Capcom probably makes very little money from them directly, but the important thing is that Udon keeps Capcom's IP alive in the minds of fans. Street Fighter IV may not have come out without Udon keeping the flame burning and showing Capcom Japan that the US does indeed care for Street Fighter. Udon bears all the risk in the relationship while Capcom can sit back, enjoy the better than free advertisement and occasionally collect some royalties. It's this kind of thinking that keeps Capcom ahead of other Japanese companies trying to compete in the US.

That kind of risk is the sad thing though, and it's not like the ones who are taking it are doing that great of a job - the Hong Kong comics can get silly sometimes, especially when they take major liberties with the story (then again, there are cases like the SvC one that referred things like the card fighters characters...), and not the movie - which now has site online:

http://www.kofthemovie.com/

Nice new logo, almost makes me hopeful for salvageable material in there.

If a more fan-friendly company would take up the franchise, it's not like there'd be a lack of stories to work with - I recall this hastily-written post of mine years ago where the far-fetched possibility of Udon taking on SNK staff came up:

http://www.snk-capcom.com/forums/showpost.php?p=215600&postcount=103

Man, I'll almost tempted to try the NaNoWriMo thing for a possible script, if I could only pry myself awa from FFXI and Dissidia long enough to get something done.

Grave
1239th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP" , posted Tue 3 Nov 02:45post reply

Since that was well before all that HD Remix bullshit, I can forgive you for wanting such a thing! I'd prefer that those assclowns stay far away and refrain from spewing their "official fanart" all over any other franchises that I enjoy.

Loona
281th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP" , posted Tue 3 Nov 18:51post reply

quote:
Since that was well before all that HD Remix bullshit, I can forgive you for wanting such a thing! I'd prefer that those assclowns stay far away and refrain from spewing their "official fanart" all over any other franchises that I enjoy.

How can official fan art get odder than things like the KoF MIRA Mary alternate outfit?...

Grave
1244th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP" , posted Tue 3 Nov 19:25post reply

Hey, I never said Falcoon spraying his shit all over KOF characters was a good thing... but ST HDR is a sin I cannot forgive. It's not someone came along and said, "Hey guys, from now on Maximum Impact is the new KOF98. This what you will play instead!"

Still, it's apples and oranges. The guy's MI work is too damn silly for me to totally hate on. It's full of humor and amusing in-jokes. He's not inept, he's just a big goof. It'd be like screaming at a golden retriever. Whereas I look as the midgets and the giants ride by on their bicycles in Chun Li's stage in HDR and I watch Balrog magically change size... grrrr.

Also, I tried watching one of those things they were airing on the Sci Fi Channel, excuse me, Syfy or whatever the fuck, which are basically comic pages that wiggle around a little while someone attempts to dramatically tell SF backstory. I wanted to somehow stab everyone at Capcom, Udon and myself at the same time. I think I'd run out of hands.

While I am prone to plenty of hyperbole and nonsense, when I say that I wish everyone in the industry would turn their backs on Udon and Backbone forever, I really do mean it.

Baines
252th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP" , posted Wed 4 Nov 08:03post reply

quote:
While I am prone to plenty of hyperbole and nonsense, when I say that I wish everyone in the industry would turn their backs on Udon and Backbone forever, I really do mean it.

Not going to happen as long as most of the industry and probably most of people playing videogames think that Digital Eclipse/Backbone is the premier of arcade emulation/porting.

Udon is a bit iffier. I'd guess the majority of people looking at SF:HD are still wowed by the higher resolution and don't notice how bad the art job is. On the other hand, either from their desire to focus on Capcom-related licenses or just from changes in the general audience, Udon doesn't seem to be a factor in the world of comics anymore. Nor are companies beating down their door to do to other games what they did to Street Fighter. Capcom itself doesn't seem interested, either.

Burning Ranger
1620th Post

"Meanwhile..." , posted Wed 4 Nov 11:35:post reply

...releasing Capcom vs SNK 2 to XBLA and PSN is a bad business decision, according to Capcom...

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/03/why-not-to-expect-capcom-vs-snk-2-on-psn-xbla/

...and now, obligatory KOF movie stuff...

http://kotaku.com/5395676/here-are-some-more-king-of-fighters-promo-images/gallery/

[this message was edited by Burning Ranger on Wed 4 Nov 11:41]

mbisonhatclub
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):(Do not) Bet (your life) on SNKP" , posted Wed 4 Nov 13:22post reply

It's sad that one supposedly ex-Capcom employee did sprite artwork by himself for one game which looks more amazing and beautiful than the ugly UDON sprite artwork in Street Fighter HD Remix (which I no longer play, stop inviting me to it!). And the game is still just as, if not more playable than Street Fighter. Also, Balrog caught the transient shrinking syndrome of black street fighters.

nobinobita
648th Post

"Re(1):Meanwhile..." , posted Thu 5 Nov 03:33post reply

quote:

...and now, obligatory KOF movie stuff...

http://kotaku.com/5395676/here-are-some-more-king-of-fighters-promo-images/gallery/

I just watched the trailer for the KOF movie...

I'm speechless.

It's as if SNKP is some sort of naive king who listens implicitly to his evil vizier who's secretly plotting to lead the empire into ruin.

Loona
283th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Meanwhile..." , posted Thu 5 Nov 04:02post reply

quote:
...releasing Capcom vs SNK 2 to XBLA and PSN is a bad business decision, according to Capcom...

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/11/03/why-not-to-expect-capcom-vs-snk-2-on-psn-xbla/

Heh, I just found a few pearls from him at http://www.thickonline.com/interviews/index.php?tpl=prt&mod=cnt&act=prt&id=4051 :

"We had great success with the Capcom Vs. SNK games."

"T: What do you think of the upcoming Legend of Chun-Li movie?
SK: I've seen some clips and I've had some chats with the writer. I'm optimistic. Hopefully we can do better than the Van Damme movie."

"I get people fired up about our games."

In the same interview he comments on how Tatsunoko isn't as well known outside Japan - but Capcom is still taking the risk, boxes in shops and all instead of DLC, it seems....

Toxico
4803th Post

"K of 98 UM Hero" , posted Thu 26 Nov 01:52:post reply

Article at Gunshmitsu. I remember Ishmael talking about this earlier... and I usually don't remember many things

And there went my re bout hopes for the rest of the remakes. It's funny how a progressive scan on 94' looks beeter than Tekken 6 in a HDMJ bravia.

????????????????
Txt currently off line.

Last update : Chapter 13 as of 23/11/09

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 26 Nov 02:05]

Pollyanna
2802th Post

"Re(1):K of 98 UM Hero" , posted Thu 26 Nov 05:24post reply

quote:
Article at Gunshmitsu. I remember Ishmael talking about this earlier... and I usually don't remember many things

And there went my re bout hopes for the rest of the remakes. It's funny how a progressive scan on 94' looks beeter than Tekken 6 in a HDMJ bravia.

I don't like hating things because they're overrated, but I can't help but find myself disliking KOF 98 more and more each day.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1251th Post

"Re(2):K of 98 UM Hero" , posted Thu 26 Nov 07:51post reply

quote:
I don't like hating things because they're overrated, but I can't help but find myself disliking KOF 98 more and more each day.

Hating things because they've overexposed is a lot easier to justify! At this point it's pretty much done to death.

mbisonhatclub
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):K of 98 UM Hero" , posted Thu 26 Nov 08:11post reply

quote:

何これもう分かりません

Ebisumaru
12th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):K of 98 UM Hero" , posted Thu 26 Nov 11:15post reply

quote:

Every time I see the name King of Fighters with Hero, Plus, Magic Plus or random chinese characters attached to it, I feel uneasy because it usually means bootleg - and believe me, they ARE worse than all those Street Fighter II' pirate variations. But interesting enough, this "HERO" term was used in a lot of (official) IGS titles (most of them probably never left the Chinese territory anyway). Probably SNKP just switched to PGM2 as a more cost-effective platform than Type-X, even if the idea of SNK games on any IGS platform is scary enough.

Toxico
4804th Post

"Re(2):K of 98 UM Hero" , posted Fri 27 Nov 06:21:post reply

quote:

I dpn't like hating things because they're overrated, but I can't help but find myself disliking KOF 98 more and more each day.

Seconded, one of my joys with the release of 02UM was something like "Once this is out, I won't be hearing more about that fan boys game"... I should have known better.

I'm the last one to know about this, right?.... Funny how I was on my way to pay full retairler price for this one.

This one seems to be a measure to take advantage of the huge philipines & chinese market, while fighting their huge stubbornness to adquire originals products

Translation txt currently off line.

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 27 Nov 06:25]

Loona
284th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):K of 98 UM Hero" , posted Fri 27 Nov 18:56post reply

quote:

I dpn't like hating things because they're overrated, but I can't help but find myself disliking KOF 98 more and more each day.

I don't so much dislike it as wish one of the games with actual story and better aesthetics would have done better than 98 did over the years.

quote:

I'm the last one to know about this, right?.... Funny how I was on my way to pay full retairler price for this one.

This one seems to be a measure to take advantage of the huge philipines & chinese market, while fighting their huge stubbornness to adquire originals products

What I find really odd about this initiative is that apparently KoF is already successful enough in Asia to not need what seems to amount to extended franchise advertising - this would have been far more useful in Europe and North America, but perhaps it's harder to establish the right partnerships to pull it off in these areas...

Ishmael
3630th Post

"Re(4):K of 98 UM Hero" , posted Sat 28 Nov 05:46post reply

quote:
I don't so much dislike it as wish one of the games with actual story and better aesthetics would have done better than 98 did over the years.

At this point I almost pity it, since the game comes across like some sort of ex-jock who never managed to surpass his time in high school. 1998 was a long time ago.

Toxico
4804th Post

"........." , posted Sat 28 Nov 10:42post reply

Lately I have regained access to a keyboard (don't ask) and while searching for wallpapers on the site, I noticed:

Is this a virtual console exclusive?

Kaneda soars the skies and main game site updated

The last public event of the year?

karasu99
243th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):........." , posted Sat 28 Nov 12:35post reply

quote:
Lately I have regained access to a keyboard (don't ask)

Okay, I won't. But I'm still curious.

quote:
and while searching for wallpapers on the site, I noticed:

Is this a virtual console exclusive?

I don't think so-- it was NGCD only though, if I recall correctly.

Yamazaki RJ
14th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):........." , posted Thu 3 Dec 21:28post reply

quote:
I don't think so-- it was NGCD only though, if I recall correctly.

It was NeoGeo cartdrige only, then converted to NGCD. It's the only conversion of this nature that worked, and made people dream about a cd-to-cartdrige conversion for years.

Toxico
4809th Post

"Re(1):........." , posted Sun 6 Dec 12:18post reply

quote:

The last public event of the year?

I didn't even remembered when this was supposed to start

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・