Constants in franchises? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1319 Views )

ONSLAUGHT
3870th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Constants in franchises?" , posted Sat 10 Oct 08:00:post reply

I was listening to Castlevania music, practically from every system (from NES to Wii), and was thinking that no matter how shitty (your mileage may vary on this) or great certain games in the series might be, they always have excellent and memorable music.

So, are there any other franchises out there with constants like this? it can be anything, like a franchise with the best graphics in each iteration, or the one with the worst sound effects, etc.

As always, this has been discussed tons of times in most forums, but I want to hear YOU guys.

Opinions, facts, anecdotes, essays, everything is welcome.

[this message was edited by ONSLAUGHT on Sat 10 Oct 08:02]

Replies:

Iggy
8994th Post

"Re(1):Constants in franchises?" , posted Sat 10 Oct 08:14post reply

I was recently listening to some Rockman, and I think everything from Rockman 1 to 9 (including Rockman&Forte) was brilliant. Maybe the very, very good songs make us forget the non-so-good ones, but the general quality sounds incredible as far as chiptune goes. Several people around me remember most themes of 1, 2, 3 and 9, but some lesser known themes stand out pretty well, and most of all all have the same "Rockman" tune.

And since I am a gigantic Sa.Ga whore and I got all 3 of the main collectible items for the series's 20th anniversary, of course, the music of Saga is unbeatable. Itôken is unbeatable. And even the two Hamauzu games, Frontier2 and Unlimited, have strangely appealing music, that work like a nice break until Minstrel Song and Saga2DS.

Also, we are old.

Evenor
703th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):Constants in franchises?" , posted Sat 10 Oct 13:37post reply

quote:

And since I am a gigantic Sa.Ga whore and I got all 3 of the main collectible items for the series's 20th anniversary, of course, the music of Saga is unbeatable. Itôken is unbeatable. And even the two Hamauzu games, Frontier2 and Unlimited, have strangely appealing music, that work like a nice break until Minstrel Song and Saga2DS.

Also, we are old.

I definitely agree. I loved how important I felt in every battle playing SaGa games just because of the music! Some of the boss themes in Saga Frontier are pretty memorable (NO FUTURE). I really wanted to get that SaGa anniversary release just for its really pretty (literally breathing )box. Does it smell as nice as it looks Iggy?

I really enjoyed almost every AST from the King of Fighters series ('94-'98 mostly). I wish they would go back to that type of full band production. Just imagine how awesome an arranged "Tacos Dance" would be!

drink from me and live forever

Digitalboy
662th Post

"Re(3):Constants in franchises?" , posted Sat 10 Oct 17:47post reply

Cid from the Final Fantasy main series. Each incarnation is unique that I find appealing because at times he can be either a non-playable character or playable. Although I am turned off by the PS2/PS3/360 era games I still enjoy his presence.

Can anyone confirm his appearances in X and on?

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Iron D
3313th Post

"Re(4):Constants in franchises?" , posted Sat 10 Oct 18:25post reply

quote:
Cid from the Final Fantasy main series. Each incarnation is unique that I find appealing because at times he can be either a non-playable character or playable. Although I am turned off by the PS2/PS3/360 era games I still enjoy his presence.

I'm not quite sure I fully understand the question that is being asked (are we just talking about music?), but I'll answer in a way that MIGHT be correct.

I've always loved how in every game Sagat is in, that goddess statue follows. From SF1 on, that statue has always been where Sagat was, even in CvS1! That's actually one of the small things that annoyed me about CvS2 and SFIV...where's Sagat's fucking statue!?!

Er.....

Iggy
8995th Post

"Re(3):Constants in franchises?" , posted Sat 10 Oct 19:27post reply

quote:
I really wanted to get that SaGa anniversary release just for its really pretty (literally breathing )box. Does it smell as nice as it looks Iggy?

I don't know. The box is still in its plastic wrapper. I built a shrine for it, the art book and the DSi, and I chant prayers to it every night to have the benediction of Kawazu on me for the next day.
For all I care, it can be an empty black cardboard box with "SAGA" painted in red on it. It's just that awesome (and I already have all the CDs anyway).

Maou
1832th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):Constants in franchises?" , posted Sat 10 Oct 21:48:post reply

quote:
I really wanted to get that SaGa anniversary release just for its really pretty (literally breathing )box. Does it smell as nice as it looks Iggy?
I don't know. The box is still in its plastic wrapper. I built a shrine for it, the art book and the DSi, and I chant prayers to it every night to have the benediction of Kawazu on me for the next day.
For all I care, it can be an empty black cardboard box with "SAGA" painted in red on it. It's just that awesome (and I already have all the CDs anyway).

Heheheh. Also, remember the PS1-era Square deluxe "millennium collection" releases of its RPGs with strange action figures that came with them? I recall they did this with SaGa, Xenogears, and maybe a few others. Consider investing in a used copy!

Other constants, and speaking of shrines: I have a similarly worshipful approach to Lunar 1 and 2, which I have on all systems and each language, and in particular towards my American copies of Lunar 1 and 2 (both Mega CD and PS), which are actually nicer than the originals. It helps that they are as large as small bricks (PS) or have beautiful embossed covers (MCD). The related constant is a developing phenomenon, but it appears that Lunar 1 will be re-released at least every console generation or so in an almost Ys-like manner, but that it will always only be at the end of the console's life and thus that there will only be time for the original, and not the amazing Lunar 2, to come out. It's like they're constantly making new special editions of The Hobbit and never getting to The Lord of the Rings.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 10 Oct 21:57]

Amakusa
825th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):Constants in franchises?" , posted Sun 11 Oct 16:00post reply

quote:

I'm pretty sure Cid wasn't in the first game, but let's face it, there's probably less than 10 characters that actually have a name in that game.

And yeah, Cid is in X and so on; in X he's one of the main characters' uncles and he has an airship; I don't remember what he did in the other two games.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Digitalboy
663th Post

"Re(5):Constants in franchises?" , posted Sun 11 Oct 19:07post reply

Thanks for the clarification.

Also, Iron D, I am not certain too if this is a soundtrack only thread. I just wanted to see if I am doing 'it' right. And I am also disappointed that the Buddha statue was not in IV.
quote:

I'm pretty sure Cid wasn't in the first game, but let's face it, there's probably less than 10 characters that actually have a name in that game.

And yeah, Cid is in X and so on; in X he's one of the main characters' uncles and he has an airship; I don't remember what he did in the other two games.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Pollyanna
2785th Post

"Re(6):Constants in franchises?" , posted Sun 11 Oct 20:31post reply

Visually counter-intuitive hitboxes in KOF! I'm sure these decisions boil down to necessary changes in balance or priority or whatever, but I so often find myself kicking a character in the head and suffering damage myself...if I don't kick straight through them, that is.

Clark seems to be a repeat offender on this one, so I have coined the term "Dimension C", which is the alternate reality that parts of Clark's body slip into from time to time. (Thus rendering them untouchable)

This is not limited to Clark, however, as I'm sure many of us slipped into Dimension C as children when our parents asked us to clean our rooms, or something of that sort.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Loona
270th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Constants in franchises?" , posted Mon 12 Oct 19:14post reply

quote:

They're retconning that and tying that version to Dissidia:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Cid

Barely related to the overall topic, up to Real Bout 1 it seems Billy Kane's stages were always on or near a bridge of some sort.

I'd also feel like mentioning the Duck King + Todoh + Heavy D! thing in KoF backgrounds since 95, but it's not exactly consistent, and I'm yet to figure out the reason for that in the first place.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"