Replies:

Pollyanna
2784th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):SMT: Strange Journey" , posted Fri 9 Oct 16:56post reply

quote:
So, anybody played through it yet?

It's only been out like...a day, right? Although I do often see Japanese players "time warp" to win a game.

I'm still debating if I want to pick it up or wait for the (inevitable) English release. DS RPGs and I don't get along very well, and neither does DS and things that might be difficult for me to understand.

On the other hand, if the English release ends up being too far on the horizon and I hear a lot of good things about, I might not be able to resist, since I'm probably about to order a number of games, anyway.

I'm too busy! I'm working on 3 separate projects, I never quite finished DQ9, I just started Ys7 and Demon Souls...Bayonetta and Tekken 6 are right around the corner, and I'm unlikely to be finished with all that stuff by the time FF13 and Tales of Graces hit in December.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

KTallguy
1165th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):SMT: Strange Journey" , posted Fri 9 Oct 20:05post reply

Enjoy Demons Souls, I wish I could go back in time to play it for the first time :)

I am actually interested in this SMT because it looks like a throwback. I wonder how it will perform.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Maou
1830th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2): FFVII Strange Journey" , posted Sat 10 Oct 03:13post reply

quote:
It's only been out like...a day, right? Although I do often see Japanese players "time warp" to win a game.
Heheh, I remember how a friend of a friend of mine played Final Fantasy VII for like 30 hours straight when it came out. When asked how he liked the game or what was memorable, he had no idea.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

karasu99
227th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3): FFVII Strange Journey" , posted Sat 10 Oct 04:02post reply

quote:
Heheh, I remember how a friend of a friend of mine played Final Fantasy VII for like 30 hours straight when it came out. When asked how he liked the game or what was memorable, he had no idea.

That's hilarious! I had several similar friends at the time-- one of whom lost his job as a result.

And for the record, I still feel this way about Final Fantasy VII.

Zepy
1551th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4): FFVII Strange Journey" , posted Mon 12 Oct 00:38post reply

I messed around trying out the gun attack during the very first random encounter after all the story events and I died. I love this game.

sfried
420th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5): SMT: Etrian Odyssey" , posted Mon 12 Oct 05:38post reply

quote:
I messed around trying out the gun attack during the very first random encounter after all the story events and I died. I love this game.

So this is Shin Megami Tensei: Etrian Odyssey? I guess I'm sold.

Maou
1833th Post

"Re(6): FFVIII: Etrian Odyssey" , posted Mon 12 Oct 08:21:post reply

quote:

At first, I thought that Zepy had shifted talk further to FF VIII's gunblade after misreading FF VII above, which would have been rad. I will hit R1 like a reflex for eternity when I choose Fight in games from now on.

This will do, though. Maybe we can derail this into another unofficial roguelikes thread.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 12 Oct 08:23]

sfried
421th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7): FFVII: The Unemployed Ninja" , posted Mon 12 Oct 09:15post reply

quote:

This will do, though. Maybe we can derail this into another unofficial roguelikes thread.

I haven't tried any Rogue-likes save for, maybe, Rogue.

Will I enjoy Shiren or Izuna? Did they simplyfy the controls/interface for the inventory? That's the only thing that bugged me in Rogue.

Maou
1834th Post

"Re(8): FFVII: The Unemployed Ninja" , posted Mon 12 Oct 09:24:post reply

quote:

Stellar derail? Now here is a man I can work with.
quote:
Will I enjoy Shiren or Izuna? Did they simplyfy the controls/interface for the inventory? That's the only thing that bugged me in Rogue.

You will enjoy Shiren because it is the greatest fun in the world. The graphics are pretty, it controls like a standard Seiken/Mana-esque RPG yet the tension of an old-school game is there as your stuff breaks and you struggle to stay alive, the town and its people are fun, and the inventory is easy to manage yet full of mystery and discovery.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 12 Oct 09:28]

hikarutilmitt
511th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9): FFVII: The Unemployed Ninja" , posted Mon 12 Oct 10:37post reply

quote:
You will enjoy Shiren because it is the greatest fun in the world. The graphics are pretty, it controls like a standard Seiken/Mana-esque RPG yet the tension of an old-school game is there as your stuff breaks and you struggle to stay alive, the town and its people are fun, and the inventory is easy to manage yet full of mystery and discovery.

And I'll back this up, except for Izuna instead. Izuna is tons of fun, takes some of the pain away from what most Rogue-likes do to you while still retaining most of what makes them fun to begin with. That and the weapon modding system is tons of fun to use and abuse.

Maou
1835th Post

"Fuurai vs. Izuna, fight" , posted Mon 12 Oct 10:48:post reply

quote:

And I'll back this up, except for Izuna instead. Izuna is tons of fun, takes some of the pain away from what most Rogue-likes do to you while still retaining most of what makes them fun to begin with. That and the weapon modding system is tons of fun to use and abuse.

I will back Hikaru up ever since he/she was so helpful in the epic SFZero scanlines thread, but regarding the two games here, I say: psh! Yeah, Izuna may be interesting, but I'll eat my hat if Fuurai No Shiren's DS art isn't 10,000 times better, and even the in-game design from 1995 has so much heart. Besides, it's culturally relevant since everyone knows or has played Fuurai and it's impacted basically all (Japanese) roguelikes since.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 12 Oct 10:50]

KTallguy
1166th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Fuurai vs. Izuna, fight" , posted Mon 12 Oct 11:46post reply

Another vote for Fuurai no Shiren. Even though I can't beat it :( I keep coming back every half a year, which says something.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Spoon
1824th Post

"Re(8): FFVII: The Unemployed Ninja" , posted Tue 13 Oct 03:54post reply

quote:

Shiren does not have the somewhat insane level of inventory complexity that some Roguelikes are known for, and which some people love it for.

Shiren also doesn't have anything in the way of "character classes" or "class skills". You do level up, which increases your hitpoints and base attack damage, but that's all it really does. Everything else is up to your inventory, your wits, and possibly the environment. I'd say that Shiren is a more streamlined Roguelike which lends itself to a bit of a puzzle-oriented feel. I didn't especially enjoy playing Izuna, but I did enjoy playing Shiren.

One good thing about Shiren is that unlike Roguelikes where you make a character and you either win or die with that character and that's it, there are a number of events that have a persistent effect. E.g. helping somebody in town might require multiple trips, but you won't be able to see that town again unless you do a big backtrack or die, so at least for a few times, you will often have new things to see or talk with even after you die. Considering how much you die in Shiren, I kind of wish there was more of this.

Ishmael
3593th Post

"Re(9): FFVII: The Unemployed Ninja" , posted Wed 14 Oct 00:24post reply

Is it possible to get good at games like Shiren and Izuna? I have copies of both games but I have no idea if I'm playing them correctly or if there is even a correct way to play them. With Izuna I managed to progress a fair ways by buffing that girl up until she could kill with her bare hands combined with poorly thought out use of whatever random crap happened to be laying on the floor. Somehow I doubt that's a good strategy for beating the game. Am I supposed to spend my time trying to forge weapons in spite of how easy it is lose or break them? Or am I supposed to be doing something else entirely? I want to enjoy games like Shiren but when I play it I can't shake the feeling that all I can do is keep dying until I get a lucky dungeon configuration that I can escape without being overwhelmed.

Maou
1837th Post

"Re(10): FFVII: The Unemployed Ninja" , posted Wed 14 Oct 00:42:post reply

quote:
I can't shake the feeling that all I can do is keep dying until I get a lucky dungeon configuration that I can escape without being overwhelmed.

In this sense, surviving Shiren is a lot like surviving life.

But seriously, I don't think there's a right way, especially since the fun of these games for me is really the sense of dread (you are fighting to survive) and excitement as you get something that will probably keep you alive a bit longer. So keep some reserve healing items but don't stockpile your stuff like in other RPG's, since tomorrow you may be dead and all those unused resources may be gone! The 'one-shot' feel of the game is sorely lacking everywhere else, I think, and it takes a while to get into the mindset that you will have to use these scant resources because otherwise you will soon be destroyed.

I regret not being of the age where I can trek along an unexplored jungle with Teddy Roosevelt, but Fuurai, oddly enough, gets me close.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 14 Oct 01:15]

Spoon
1829th Post

"Re(2):Re(10): FFVII: The Unemployed Ninja" , posted Wed 14 Oct 05:00post reply

quote:
I can only win at Shiren by random

One that that does help is spending a few lives to pump up a sword or a shield. I wouldn't worry too much about trying to making an uber +10squillion thing with every attack/defense property, but just something a little bit better so that your trip through the early part of the game is not such a slog (like, send it to the warehouse after you start hitting the point where you are finding stuff as good as it, or it wouldn't be so great without upgrading it a bunch). Items exist to be used, so make use of them. It is often worth it to "blow" an item on what might've been a tough but survivable fight instead of just dying.

There are times when Shiren is just rape hard, but that's Shiren being Shiren for you.

hikarutilmitt
512th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10): FFVII: The Unemployed Ninja" , posted Wed 14 Oct 06:34post reply

quote:
Is it possible to get good at games like Shiren and Izuna? I have copies of both games but I have no idea if I'm playing them correctly or if there is even a correct way to play them. With Izuna I managed to progress a fair ways by buffing that girl up until she could kill with her bare hands combined with poorly thought out use of whatever random crap happened to be laying on the floor. Somehow I doubt that's a good strategy for beating the game. Am I supposed to spend my time trying to forge weapons in spite of how easy it is lose or break them? Or am I supposed to be doing something else entirely? I want to enjoy games like Shiren but when I play it I can't shake the feeling that all I can do is keep dying until I get a lucky dungeon configuration that I can escape without being overwhelmed.

You can do that for a few areas of Izuna, but eventually it gets to where you NEED to at least get better armor for defense against some of the more ridiculous things enemies can do, but weapons are there almost solely for the effects you can apply when attacking.

You can almost "cheat" at the game by grinding level after level and just steamrolling enemies, then walking around or advancing the steps by holding the shoulder buttons to regain your health before going to the next floor, but you'll hit a wall preventing you from doing so. When going through the last dungeon I actually did a few days of playing grinding the last 2 regular areas for better equipment to sell and put good talismans on for defensive purposes.

sfried
425th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):SMT: Etrian Odyssey" , posted Sat 24 Oct 09:01post reply

So, uh, back to Strange Journey...Is it really as hard as they say it is?

Pollyanna
2793th Post

"Re(2):SMT: Etrian Odyssey" , posted Tue 27 Oct 19:09post reply

quote:
So, uh, back to Strange Journey...Is it really as hard as they say it is?

Going on a trip out of the country, so I picked it up for the long plane ride. I haven't put a lot of time into it yet, but it doesn't seem especially difficult for an SMT game.

A number of things have been streamlined to make it "easier" to play, even if the challenge level of the mazes and bosses has not been reduced. There are a lot of save points (very nice) and passing on skills from one demon to the next is much less annoying (no more selecting and deselecting to get the skill you want). The elemental weakness system also works to your favor, instead of being a double-edged sword.

So...even if the game gets tough, it feels like you're nicely armed to deal with it, if you manage your team properly.

Excuse me for not going into detail about the new systems, but I don't know if anyone is really interested or not.

So far, I'm quite fond of the game. The atmosphere is really powerful and the soundtrack is...I dunno...it's just crazy. Amazing, but...weird. Very weird. I would count that as a positive, not a negative, though. I love how the battle themes build up to a "climax".

The plot runs you around on a lot of glorified fetch quests, but interesting things happen all the same, and they break up each dungeon with a number of little plot scenes.

Altogether, it's a very well-balanced experience, I think.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
428th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Shin Mystery Dungeon Tensei" , posted Sun 1 Nov 16:09:post reply

That's good to hear. In the meantime, I did get Shiren for my b-day, so it should me tide me over until the inevitable localized version of Strange Journey appears.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sun 1 Nov 16:10]

Maou
1845th Post

"Re(4):Shin Mystery Dungeon Tensei" , posted Sun 1 Nov 16:21post reply

quote:
That's good to hear. In the meantime, I did get Shiren for my b-day, so it should me tide me over until the inevitable localized version of Strange Journey appears.

Tohohohoho. My work here is complete! Writhe in pain, while enjoying it! I need to grab my own DS copy...

sfried
429th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Shin Mystery Dungeon Tensei" , posted Sun 1 Nov 16:42:post reply

quote:
Tohohohoho. My work here is complete! Writhe in pain, while enjoying it! I need to grab my own DS copy...

I could use some rescuing...
Friend code: 2922-5931-1663
Rescue number: 0000-0001-3904

or alternatively:
N15BD !CP3 98GY1
6Q1FD 50MM ND3YJ
22P9F Y4WH C0SXN
GM8PG QFS1 FG230

This game...really is an addiction.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sun 1 Nov 16:42]

Maou
1846th Post

"Re(6):Shin Mystery Dungeon Tensei" , posted Sun 1 Nov 18:15post reply

quote:

This game...really is an addiction.

A lifelong one.

Just need to get a DS copy instead of the usual SFC one. Do friendcodes work regardless of the nationality of the game in question? If not, I'm certain that some kind player of the English game will be happy to save you! Since no one knows about it outside of Japan, I figure they'll be thrilled to help a rare fellow player!

sfried
429th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Shin Mystery Dungeon Tensei" , posted Sun 1 Nov 18:35post reply

quote:
If not, I'm certain that some kind player of the English game will be happy to save you! Since no one knows about it outside of Japan, I figure they'll be thrilled to help a rare fellow player!
Quite a few know about the existence of Shiren, Izuna, and roguelikes in general, most notable of which is Jeremy Parish who seems to be a big fan of them.

badoor
95th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):Shin Mystery Dungeon Tensei" , posted Mon 2 Nov 08:18post reply

quote:
If not, I'm certain that some kind player of the English game will be happy to save you! Since no one knows about it outside of Japan, I figure they'll be thrilled to help a rare fellow player! Quite a few know about the existence of Shiren, Izuna, and roguelikes in general, most notable of which is Jeremy Parish who seems to be a big fan of them.

Parish's praise for Shiren the wanderer convinced me to buy it. I've played many hours of Shiren during the Summer and enjoyed it a lot and am planing to play more. I'd help you with the rescues if I could but there's no wifi to connect my DS.

I've been wondering if anyone here tried Furai no Shiren 3 for the wii. It is supposedly coming to US next year. It came out on june of 2008 in japan and there could have been talk about it back then on the board though I probably wasn't interested back then (MGS4 didn't help that either). There is also Fuurai no Shiren DS 2 remake that came out less than a year ago for the DS and an upcoming true sequal Fuurai no Shiren 4 for the DS in 2010, both of which I also would love hear about.

Your input will be much obliged.

Maou
1848th Post

"Shiren rides again" , posted Mon 2 Nov 12:49:post reply

quote:
There is also Fuurai no Shiren DS 2 remake that came out less than a year ago for the DS and an upcoming true sequal Fuurai no Shiren 4 for the DS in 2010, both of which I also would love hear about.
Shiren shall hereby randomly dominate threads the way Dracula does, if I have anything to about it.

Anyway! Fuurai No Shiren 2 is a gorgeous little remake. It's essentially identical to the original Shiren now and even has (nonessential) cinemas. There might've been a few little interface improvements that I can't remember, but otherwise it's more of the same, in the very best possible way. Oh, and this time there is an evil castle in the desert instead of a huge tower mountain. So.

S(ieg)fried, hope there are indeed enough people to rescue you! I love Parish's stuff and have since Toasty Frog 2D, and am so glad to see a plug in English for Shiren, but I doubt more than 5% of American gamers have played some of the games he likes even if everyone in Japan knows/loves Shiren. But I bet that if there IS anyone playing Shiren in English, they'll be sure to rescue you both out of kindness and out of loyalty to another person who actually plays the game!

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 2 Nov 12:51]

sfried
432th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Shin Mystery Dungeon Tensei" , posted Tue 3 Nov 14:33post reply

quote:
Parish's praise for Shiren the wanderer convinced me to buy it. I've played many hours of Shiren during the Summer and enjoyed it a lot and am planing to play more. I'd help you with the rescues if I could but there's no wifi to connect my DS.
Have you tried the password? On that note, someone from toastyfrog's talkingtime forums helped me.

Going back to SMT:SJ, amazon.ca lists it as March 10, 2010.