How we picked our favorate fighters - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1306 Views )

Maou
1826th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Sat 3 Oct 14:03:post reply

All the talk in the SSFIV thread of our reasons for picking fighting game characters the way we do was interesting enough that I thought it'd be fun to list our favorite characters from some of the fighters we play, and how we first picked them. Mine were largely for aesthetic reasons at first, and then the sheer rhythm of favorite moves.

Justice Gakuen: Daigo
-Daigo just oozes cool, taking the gakuran (school uniform) aesthetic to the max, adding the shibui over-the-shoulder glare, and coupled with his great lines about "showing you man's proper way!" and whatnot. I liked everything about Daigo's style, and ended up staying on for the fun punches and his 10-hit super.

Soul Calibur 1&2: Siegfried/Nightmare
-After a few false starts with Sophitia (pretty, skirt) and Kilik (cool Squall Leonhart hair, long range), I finally felt at home with the Siegfried/Nightmare combo based soley on the cool zweihander sword, and stayed for the great moves. It was really the flashy sword that drew me, simple as that, and I love his voice actor. I managed to surpass my master who trained me in fighting games, and it's been all Sieg after since. Assuming "ever since" means "until anything before SC 3, which I hate." But anyhow, I can still feel how great it feels to land a tracking Rook Splitter, then mix it up with an Axle Kick trip or his brilliant vertical slash into a downward second slash.

Street Fighter Zero 2: Sakura
-This one's pretty inglorious, but I was 13 or so and saw a young fighter in a short skirt and was hooked on Street Fighter for the first time, and ever since. Even though it would be easier to play with Ken or somebody, it also became clear to me that I loved the feel of her middle kick crossup and fierce shououken, so the visceral feel of those two things made me stay for sure.

Street Fighter III Third Strike: Chun Li
-I was never a big Chun Li fan outside of the original SF II (which I played after SFZero 2, making it of less interest to me) and certainly didn't find her awful Zero outfit appealing, but the sheer love and artistry of Chun Li in 3S grabbed me fast. She's exponentially more cutely animated in this version, and looks so wonderfully happy when she wins.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 3 Oct 14:11]

Replies:

ONSLAUGHT
3865th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Sat 3 Oct 16:39post reply

Great!

Street Fighter II: As I said before, my first choice was Dhalsim because he looked so freakish, and according to my young logic, being able to kick the face of your oponents from half the screen away=untouchable/unbeatable.

Darkstalkers: This one was hard for me, because the game was full of monsters, but seeing as everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY picked Rikuo, I had to choose someone to counter him... and what better option to fight an agile and cheap bastard like Rikuo than a slow moving, limb stretching, curse caster mummy? Take that slimy frog!

Street Fighter III: Necro, because to me he was like a mix of Dhalsim and Blanka, had pale skin with red tattoos and a child like personality.

Street Fighter III 2nd Impact: Hugo! Oh yes, sweet Hugo, a huge monsterous man with moves that screamed Painful! Attack me with your puny schoolgirls ninjas 20 times, I just need to catch you once and you're done!

SF III Third Strike: Q was like Hugo in the sense that he was big and his attacks had this heavy, painful feeling, like hitting with a wrecking ball. He wasn't as big as Hugo, yet he feels heavier and for some reason I think he's slower, but his specials are fast and very dinamic. What's not to love?

Street Fighter Ex: Quite possibly one of the best SF's out there (yes, I don't care I'm the only fan of this game). This one was hard to me, because I was torn between Skullomania and Garuda... In the end I chose Garuda, because he had a cool mask and armor, and his moves were just brutal.

Project Justice: Daigo.

Tech Romancer: Wiseduck. In a game filled with humanoid mechas I had to choose the one resembling a tank with the power to erase from the map 50 Diana 17's.

Samurai Shodown: Gen-An (is he related to Mai Shiranui?), a deformed green monster with a huge claw? my kind of character!

I don't remember any more fighters at the moment, but I will add more as soon as I remember.

Amakusa
822th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Sat 3 Oct 17:07post reply

Street Fighter: Initally Dhalsim, because at the time I thought stretchy limbs = power. Then upon the later versions I took a liking to Sagat and used him most of the time thereafter. I liked the idea of a variance in high/low Tiger Shot, so maybe it was an early liking to the mind game aspect.

Rival Schools/Project Justice-- I actually started with Kyoko because I thought she looked hot. After a while I got good enough at the game that I played with everyone just to see how their story modes panned out, and then eventually I took a real liking to Edge, Akira, and Natsu. Then later I tried to add Zaki to my rotation but I don't think she caught on that much and Daigo caught on better because of his style.

Plasma Sword: Like Rival Schools, I used everyone just to see their story modes pan out. I initially started with Byakko and ended up using Zelkin the most because his Plasma Combos were more in line with what I mentally wanted to do, and not to mention I enjoy capping my combos with the air grab just for style points.

Darkstalkers: Hsien-ko, mainly because I really loved the multiple weapon motif. On the other hand, I was on a Ranma 1/2 binge at the time and that probably had something to do with it.

KOF: I don't remember this game having a real impression on me until '96 when I saw Leona and felt that she looked like someone who didn't mess around. Then I later found she was a Charge character, who I was historically poor at using (I used to make M. Bison the dictator suck, for instance), and I finally found a venue with which I could improve my play with that style. I don't know, it was mainly a visual impression, much more intuitive to my mind than Guile for some reason. Much later on, though, I took a liking to Kasumi, perhaps even begun to respect her because I almost always lost to her somehow, and I finally learned the virtues of counter moves. Then I learned that humans really hated getting countered by other humans....

Mortal Kombat: I mainly played just MK3, and I took a liking to Smoke, and really got good with him. The robots in general just kind of attracted me, although Sektor kind of blew. Smoke, though, had the harpoon and the teleport punch, I felt like I was pretty darn powerful with both for some reason.

Street Fighter EX: Hokuto, mainly for the same reasons as Kasumi Todo.

Street Fighter 3: I used Yang and Yun a lot, although mostly it was Yang, particularly in the later versions. I didn't really use Yang because of his resemblance to a certain other character, although in his later incarnations I tended to favor the multi-step move he had, as a sort of take-off from the KOF games. In a way my choices influenced by the previous games I played.

Soul Calibur: Pretty much Cervantes because of his dual-wielding motif, although I was interested in Arthur (for some reason he was there and not Mitsurugi and this was an American cabinet). For some reason that didn't translate into me liking Mitsurugi at all, probably because Mitsurugi seemed too generic to me and Arthur was this white guy with an eye patch who did samurai sword stuff. Yeah, I thought Arthur was much cooler.

Samurai Shodown: I think I initially used Gen-An because of his rolling claw and poison move, but then I saw Charlotte and used her almost exclusively thereafter. She was armed, armored, and fairly simple to use, and really, she had that kind of presence like she meant business. Perhaps, up until that time, the only real female exposure I had to fighting games was Chun Li, who I thought was just too girly. And of course, when Charlotte got canned I started using Amakusa instead, and hell he sucked in SS3, but he was like god in SS4, and SS4 is the game I played to death. I got my all-time highest winning streak with Amakusa in that game at 26 consecutive wins and it was still on the machine the last time I saw it at the arcade. So yeah, Amakusa holds an extra-special place for me in the realm of fighting games.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Iron D
3308th Post

"Re(2):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Sat 3 Oct 18:10post reply

Onslaught's story reminds me of my own. Typically when I first play a fighting game, I'll pick the freakiest, most outlandish looking character. So of course, like Onslaught my first SF2 character ever was Sim. Of course, Sim was also hard to beat back when SF2 came out, considering the fact that most of the folks in my hood didn't know how to do many specials.

My first picks generally work that way. SFA? Birdie. Soul Edge? Voldo. Tekken? Yoshimitsu. SamSho? Tam Tam.

However, as I've discussed in another thread, gameplay takes priority over aesthetics for me. In fact, many times I've found that when a character is fun to play as, it will make me like them more design-wise. Prior to Super Turbo I hated Barlog as a character, but the changes made to him from there and every game since has made him enjoyable to play AND a bit more likable.

I can say the same about Kyo...hated his gimmick and design, but he's so damn fun to play as that the character himself has become more tolerable. He's still not my favorite character by any means, but I don't hate him the way I used to.

This also means that my favorite fighting game characters are also the characters that I have the most fun playing as. Geese? Always has fun combos and there are few things more satisfying in any fighting game than successfully connecting with his counters. Yamazaki? A character who seems to have it all: command throws, ticks, strong footsies, Snake Charmer. Gen? Hello? Two styles, both fun to use and especially fun when you change between them to do combos.

I could go on. But I think y'all get it already.

Er.....

Maese
534th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Sat 3 Oct 19:23post reply

Awesome topic!

Street Fighter 2: E. Honda
This game pretty much supposed my first serious contact with videogame world. To my naive and silly young self a huge, muslculated sumo fighter seemed terribly cool and powerful at the same time. The kabuki make up added extra awesomeness points. There were faster, fancier characters in the game, and most were easier and more rewarding to play, but it didn't matter to me. I loved Honda anyway.

Samurai Spirits: Hattori Hanzou
In a game filled up with extremely cool characters, or at least characters which suited my tastes like a glove, Hanzou was the pinnacle of coolness. I had a thing for ninja guys back then, and this sharp, dark fellow was just the greatest ninja I had ever seen. Years later, when I got to know about the historical roots of the character, he became even more awesome.

Sould Edge/Calibur: Taki (honor mention to Mitsurugi)
I LOVE ninja girls, it would take too much time to explain to what extent. When I seated for the first time in front of the Soul Edge cabinet and saw her on a demo match, I had an epiphany. At first look I loved her design, movements and overall feeling. Then I realized how fun she was to play with, and later on I learnt about her backstory (enchanted swords and demon huntresses for teh win) and couldn't help but falling head over heels. She's my all time favourite when it comes to fighting games.
I kind of regard Mitsurugi as an old friend of mine as well, mainly because I'm a sucker for samurai stuff and I liked his lousy rônin feeling. His deliberate un-coolness was somewhat refreshing. His in-game profile alludes to Nagashino battle, so extra points for him too.

Tekken series:Heihachi Mishima
Regarding Kazuya and the rest of the Mishima family, I like them as characters so I keep using them, but I don't really like them as fighters that much. That is, I don't enjoy their playstyle. But when it comes to Heihachi, I love both him AND his gameplay mechanics. I mean, you gotta love a mean, megalomaniac old geezer who doesn't even need to put off his iron geta to beat the living shit out of people three times younger than him.
As with Kazuya and the rest of the bunch, I like the idea of the main hero of a game being more evil than the final boss himself. That's why I love(d) Tekken so much: is a game more about characters than fighting itself.

Street Fighter Zero 2: Sakura
I'm a dirty fetishist, I know, but I have a soft spot for japanese schoolgirls. And she plays very similar to Ryu (albeit with some refreshing twists), so her style was relatively easy to grasp for me even after many years of not touching 2D fighters. She was an obvious choice. Plus, I can totally sympathize with her futile, yet unyielding pursue of an impossible dream. Sakura is actually a tragic heroine, you know.
On the other hand, due to my penchant for schoolgirls I'd totally love to use Karin in SFZero3, but I can't get to understand how to use her for the life of me...

Samurai Spirits IV: Yagyuu Juubei
I reencountered with this series after a long while, and by then I did not fancy ninjas that much anymore. So I recalled my love for lone swordsman types and got to choose Juubei. As usual, extra awesomeness points for historic and folklorical implications.

Street Fighter 3: Ibuki
The aforementioned stuff about ninja girls applies here too. She's the perfect exapmle of a character whose gameplay don't drives me crazy, but whom I keep using nonetheless just because I like her. And she's a schoolgirl too! Extra points.

Rival Schools: Hideo, Roberto
Hideo looks just like my grandpa. Glasses, hairstyle and everything. If only my grandpa wore neckties (and shoulder pads!) they would be practically indistinguishable. How could I not choose him?
There's a ton of characters I like in this series, but I kept using him the most, along with Roberto, whom I picked on the first time just because I like soccer. Roberto is one of the very few characters I main based more on his gameplay (I love his specials) rather than his personality.

KOF series: Yuri Sakazaki
The other two slots on my team tend to be filled up with Kyokugenryuu guys as well, but in any case Yuri is always a must. I got to KOF world really late (KOF 99), but since at least I was not a complete SNK-illiterate by then, I began choosing characters I somewhat knew. And I always thought Yuri's transition from being the damsel-in-distress on the first Art of Fighting to kick everybody's ass from AoF2 onwards was brilliant. Her design is a bit dull for my taste, but her backstory is unbeatable. I later discovered she's a pure killing machine as well, and relatively easy to master for a guy who, like me, is more used to Capcom fighting sagas.

I'll add more people when they come to mind. Ah, I'm afraid this character roster reveals more about myself than I'd like to admit...

Count Hihihi
190th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Sat 3 Oct 19:37post reply

I always pick black characters because I am black.

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

Pollyanna
2776th Post

"Re(3):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Sat 3 Oct 21:39post reply

I can't go too far back on my character choices, because I was so young that there wasn't much logic to it. I would always pick the girl. If the girl was ugly, I would either pick the most pretty man or the monster.

Today, my choices are kind of irrelevant, because I play anyone that isn't
A) Bearded
B) Totally huge
C) Bald

Contributing factors to early picks are:
A) Crazy
B) Oujousama
C) Uses Kung Fu
D) Med/small size grappler

Anyway, here are some "landmark" characters for me from the "in-between years".

World Heroes 2-Ryoko

My friend said "she's useless. Her fireball doesn't go anywhere and all she can do is throw", but she edged out Janne in cuteness and someone else was already using Mudman, so she was my first pick. She was also my first throw character and awakened my undying love for medium-sized grapplers.

Vampire Hunter-Lei Lei

I loved all the characters in Vampire...I can't even remember which one I chose first, but when I saw a picture of Lei-Lei's Jireitou in a magazine, I thought "she's gonna be the one!" I totally stunk with her for years, but her cute design combined with the crazy variety of her attacks (visually, I mean) made me stick with her, no matter how many losses I suffered. Eventually, I became so good with her that my friends wouldn't play me anymore. It was a sad day.

Samurai Spirits-Basara

Maybe the first fighting game character I became a rabid fan of. None of the girls in SS had caught my fancy (Nakoruru was too bland, Rimururu too cutesy, Charlotte too butch), Gen-an was gone and I was sick of Ukyo. Then comes along a character who manages to fit both the "pretty man" and "monster" categories! Never has a character screamed "PICK ME!" so loudly.

I love everything about Basara. His voice, his creepy attacks, his crazed expression, the way he shakes in his idle animation, his super move, his backstory and his win animations. Crazy, tragic, cool! Pulling you into the abyss! Creating waves of duplicates! Screaming in sorrow! No one could compare!

KOF-Shermie

Shermie may have been the first character I felt was made for me. I used to really be into drawing when I was a kid, and whenever I drew a caricature of myself, I always had bangs over my eyes. I even dyed my hair the same color as Shermie's for years. Unfortunately, the playful cheeriness of my youth has long since diminished, but Shermie still remains one of my favorites today, from both a gameplay and design perspective.

Worth mentioning

My all-time favorites are Hinako and Angel from KOF. Hinako, mostly for her concept (who came up with such a ridiculous idea!?) and Angel for her difficult to master play-mechanics, wealth of awesome-looking moves and amazing voice. Those are two characters (Angel, especially) that I never tire of.

Rachel from BlazBlue has made a very strong impression on me as well, though it's too early to say if she has lasting "star power". The gameplay concepts behind all the characters in BlazBlue are interesting, but her's totally blew my mind when I read about it.

Argh...and I forgot all my beloved Guilty Gear characters (even if the game isn't my favorite)...and...and...ah...I'd better stop.

Wait...one last thing!

Amusing(?) story

I used Guile in SF2, thanks to a silly accident. When I first played the game, I saw someone fighting Balrog (claw). I wanted to pick him because he could climb on the walls, but I couldn't find him on the character select screen (because he wasn't there). Time ran out and I accidentally picked Guile. I stuck with him because everyone else used Blanka.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

kofoguz
772th Post

"Re(4):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Sat 3 Oct 23:12post reply

quote:
Basara

KOF-Shermie Hinako

Dammit Polly.

AnywayI have weird tendencies about character picking preference. Such as;

Female > Male

Fast/Light/Agile > Slow/Heavy/Slowpoke

Least Popular (the best one) > Most Popular

Circle moves > Charge moves

Complex > Simple (depends)

This is the general idea.

SF2
Do I play with everyone?
Not necessarily.
Who do I picked/preferred most?

Chun Li, because Spinning bird kick really hooked me up, she wasnt that popular, got a good story comparing to those days. Her winpose made her more realistic than the others. You can feel when she hops in joy.

Who I like the least?

Ryu, well he plain sucks. Boring and overused.

I'm gonna add others later.

hikarutilmitt
510th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Sun 4 Oct 13:55:post reply

quote:
All the talk in the SSFIV thread of our reasons for picking fighting game characters the way we do was interesting enough that I thought it'd be fun to list our favorite characters from some of the fighters we play, and how we first picked them. Mine were largely for aesthetic reasons at first, and then the sheer rhythm of favorite moves.

SF2: I tended to stick around Ryu just because he was a bit easier for me to pick up. Once I got the hang of doing his moves I branched a bit and used Dhalsim just for grins. Once Super rolled around I stuck with Cammy because for some reason I usually pick girls and I hated how Chun Li played. Once I got a bit better at ST and STHDR was announced and SF4 was out in arcades I, for reasons STILL unknown to me, started using Zangief.

SF Zero/Alpha: Didn't really care so much for the first one so I kept picking Dan. When 2 rolled around I latched onto Sakura and never let go. If she's in the game she's my main, even if she's awful (which only happened in MvC2 and SF4). She was Ryu with more finesse and tact required. Plus I, like some of you, dig schoolgirls.

SF3: Went straight for Ibuki because Sakura wasn't there. Love her quick moveset and was INCREDIBLY pissed when they nerfed her down so far with 3S. I also use Makoto and Gouki, but Ibuki will always be my main.

SF4: Again, no reason why I started using the red cyclone. He just felt right to use for once and I guess having more options for getting in to actually hit people made him easier for me to use. It is fun pulling a SPD/FAB through someone's Ultra though.

KOF: Yuri. Again, girl. Kasumi if she's available because she's got good offensive AND defensive options. And yes, doing reversals on human players tends to annoy them, sadly. Also use May Lee when she's in a game because she's a goofball character but fun to use.

WH2/J/P: Ryoko is and always will be my queen for the series (WH1 does not exist because it is awful and lacks Ryoko). Grapplers didn't really, erm, grab me until later when I picked up the SFEX games, so why I picked her is probably 2 things: girl and beastly in matches. The SNES version of WH2, in particular, had some retooled mechanics to the fighting engine that made it play so much different it was more like a WH2.5 than even Jet was.

DOA: Ayane was a training dummy and turned into a usable character in the PSX version of the first game. Been using her ever since. Loved the fast and furious style, the backturned stance and the purple hair. LOVE playing as her in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

Virtua Fighter 4/5: Didn't really play the series a lot until 4. Due to Kasumi and her style, ended up picking Aoi right off the bat and never let up. Also use Akira and Lau occasionally.

BlazBlue: Litchi plays Mahjong and has a changing moveset based on where the mantenbo is.

Guilty Gear: Jam. mmm, Chinese cook.

SPECIAL NOTE!
SFEX series: Other than SFEX+@ and SFEX3 where I mainly main Sakura, I have nomain. Every character is good and equally viable. That's one of my favorite things about the series: nobody is truly awful (not even Area) and EVERYONE stands a great chance and is fun to play. Hell, I wish Zangief played more like his EX series version than his SF4 version.

[this message was edited by hikarutilmitt on Mon 5 Oct 08:03]

Juke Joint Jezebel
3664th Post

"Re(2):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Sun 4 Oct 15:28post reply

I always pick white womens cause i wonder where they at

Gojira
2555th Post

"Re(3):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Sun 4 Oct 20:54:post reply

In the interest of keeping it short I'll just list all my characters (the ones I never flip-flopped on) and leave my "tendencies" up to the imagination. Though if someone really wants to know I'll answer specific questions.
SF2 - Ken
SF3:3s - Q
SF4 - Abel
SFA2 - Dan
SFA3 - Cody
Xmen:CotA - Colossus
XvSF - Rogue, Zangief
MvC1 - Strider, Zangief
MvC2 - Colossus, Jill, Jin
CvS1 - Guile
CvS2 - Hibiki, Honda
Darkstalkers - Morrigan
Vampire Savior - Lilith
Rival Schools - Akira (w/ helmet only)
Star Gladiator - June
SS1 - Haohmaru
MotW - Griffon/Tizoc
KoF in general - Ralf, Vanessa
KoF98 - Mary, Yuri, Heavy D!
NGBC - Shermie, Hotaru
Tekken 2 - Nina
TK3 - King
TTT - Anna, Julia
TK4 - Steve
TK5 - Feng (DR - Anna)
TK6 - Zafina (BR - Miguel)
Soul Calibur 2 - Raphael
SC3/ SC4 - Amy
VF2/ VF3/ VF5 - Sarah
VF4 - Vanessa (Evo - Sarah)

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sun 4 Oct 20:55]

Alba Meira
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Sun 4 Oct 21:43post reply

SF-Sagat/Vega/Balrog/Bison/Seth

It takes a lot to be convincingly evil and I'd have to say that most of the shadowloo/law guys do it pretty well if you ask me. So that's why I choose them.

KOF-Alba/Iori/K'

There's a paticular reason why Kyo and Ash didnt make it here. ( Kyo's runner up and I dont like Ash period. ) other worth mentioning characters are Yamazaki and Eiji but I like all the ones I mentioned due to being skill characters overall.

Blazblue-Jin/Hakumen/Ranga/Bang

Its really hard to say anything bad about this series because it was done quite well if you ask me. I would have added Arakune to the list because of "BEES" but i dont use him as much as the others. But those are my favorites from there.

Soul Calibur - Mitsurugi/Shura/Maxi/Raphael

All characters have their own unique style minus Shura since she plays exactly like Cervantes but all in all she's a good character and im not complaining.

There's more but thats a story for another day.

Maou
1828th Post

"more Gojira" , posted Mon 5 Oct 00:28:post reply

quote:
Though if someone really wants to know I'll answer specific questions.

Yeah, me~ I definitely want to hear more about the why of your choices and what brought you to them, since people have been talking less about 'my favorite characters' and more about 'what matters to me in selecting a character.' We shall then psychoanalyze the geshtalt.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 5 Oct 00:30]

Gojira
2555th Post

"Re(1):more Gojira" , posted Mon 5 Oct 07:43post reply

quote:
Though if someone really wants to know I'll answer specific questions.
Yeah, me~ I definitely want to hear more about the why of your choices and what brought you to them, since people have been talking less about 'my favorite characters' and more about 'what matters to me in selecting a character.' We shall then psychoanalyze the geshtalt.

They're not necessarily my "favorite" characters, they're just the ones I use. Or are we really talking about favorites here?

And if I explained every one of them it would be too much writing. That's why I said specific questions. Circumstances notwithstanding, I don't have any set rule, taste or preference that governs my choice of character. It doesn't mean I didn't go through some kind of process, but each one was unique and many of them are completely contradictory. I put a lot of thought into them and no thought at all, if that makes any sense.

That said, though I've never considered it myself, maybe there are types that I subliminally gravitate to or shun the usage of. Looking at it now I see an absence of monsters, for example. Though if you asked me why that is, I couldn't tell you.

shipoopi

Count Hihihi
192th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):more crap" , posted Mon 5 Oct 08:20post reply

I like this thread. It's so honest and dumb.

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

Catalyst
458th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Mon 5 Oct 14:29post reply

I picked my fighters on the "hero of the story" syndrome when I was younger as well as aesthetic appeal. I got past that and just played whoever fit my fancy in terms of game play. I'll still definitely play those main hero characters though.

KOF - Yashiro. For a villain I think he is pretty cool, just wish his character wasn't killed off. I like playing him in his orochi mode tossing folks about.

Guilty Gear - Sol Badguy. I found him fun to use ever since I got the first Guilty Gear. Maybe a bit annoying with the sidewinder loop. Though I like his EX versions and Holy Order versions.

Unfortunately, this is all I can remember at the moment. I am sure there are a few others but I can't remember at this time.

Time Mage
2773th Post

"Re(1):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Tue 6 Oct 00:18post reply

I usually pick my characters with a mix of aesthetics and gameplay in the decision.

Regarding aesthetics, other than an instant "I like it", there's some general pointers I unconsciously follow: If they have something in common with me, it's a big starting point (like Goro -> Judo user, or Vega -> Spanish). If they look like someone else I like, they have more chances, too (Arakune being the no-face from Spirited Away). Sexy women get a lot of point, too <3 (Kyoko, Morrigan).

Regarding gameplay, I favor charge characters A LOT, Guile clones (that's Guile, Charlie, Remy and Ash among my favorites), characters more oriented to mind games and not execution heavy, and poking characters (somewhat related to my last point). Other things that attract me gameplay-wise are not that clear.

That said, some examples:

SFII: Although I started playing with Ken, and then some Chun-Li (without using a single special with her), once the game hit the consoles, I became addicted to Guile. The Flash Kick was so easy to execute! He had that awesome air grab! I've been hooked to his playstyle since then. When Champion Edition came out, I started using Vega because I wanted to do the wall climb move, because he looked so cool, an because he was Spanish... today, I just pick him because I love his playstyle, and I love his psycho personality. In Turbo I tried to use Cammy but failed miserably >_>

SFAlpha: At first, Charlie and Chun-Li were my picks, reminiscent of my SFII picks. Then I went back to Ken because of the shinryuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuken!!! and then in Alpha III I ended up playing with Vega again :P

SFIII: Alex was really appealing to me in New Generation, and indeed he was so brute it was a pleasure to pick him! Stun Gun Headbutt + his special throw did more damage than Hyper Bomb back then, heh. Then in Third Strike I suddenly got three characters I wanted to play: Makoto, because... She was Akane Tendou! Remy because... At last, a "Guile" in SFIII!! and Chun-Li, back again! Then I ended up using Remy and Makoto a lot, and Chun-Li not that much :P

SFIV: Vega is even more of a psycho than ever, and got really interesting new tools to play with, so I was super-happy. Then I found out that everyone else had also new and much better tools and that he was bottom tier, and I said: FUCK TIERS! And kept using him.

Darkstalkers: Morrigan, Felicia, Lei-Lei... This series has some amazing females! It's a pity I suck at the series ;_;

Rival Schools: Okay, say it with me: SEXY NURSE. Then add: Sexy Nurse with long black hair and glasses. How could I NOT use her? (Later I found out that I loved her play style and that I was quite good with her...)

Fatal Fury 1: Joe had a tiger in his rising knee move! And he shot hurricanes!!!!!!!111 Awesome! (Note: Now I almost despise Joe)

Fatal fury II: Who's that cool Taekwondo guy? Oh, a flash kick! And he kicks your face! And that leg split thing! From then, Kim became my favorite SNK fighter, and still is. Note: depending on the game, I either suck at using him, or I'm just decent... BUT I DON'T CARE >_>

KOF: Who's the first KOF character I really liked? Before 96, I didn't play KOF, I played "hey, I can use Kim, Ryo and Robert at the same time!". Then Leona appeared: A charge character, with a great design, and really innovative gameplay? I'll have two, thanks. Then in 98 I started using Goro (didn't before despite him using Judo because I didn't understand grapplers in KOF) and loved his abusive style, lol. Vanessa was also love at first sight, although he soon became too complex to use for me. Ash of course is one of my favorite KOF players, being, gameplay-wise, a ripoff of Remy (and I love that, eh).

And... Well, I'd better stop here, I've written too much already.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Mokona
475th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Tue 6 Oct 01:01post reply

Since I almost never play against humans, I tend to try all characters and end up using the one that allows me to stay interested in the game the longest. It changes with time.

PS: Man, there's no love for The Last Blade in this world... such a shame.

Blah!

Hagen de Merak
1032th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Tue 6 Oct 02:19:post reply

Sf2 - Boxer, Deejay
KOF - Lucky
MOTW - Kushnood Butt
RB - Bob Wilson
SF3 - Sean
Aof - Mickey
Aggressors of Dark Kombat - Bobby Nelson
Fatal Fury - Duck King

My favorite is obviously Kushnood. nuff said.

[this message was edited by Hagen de Merak on Tue 6 Oct 06:18]

Hagen de Merak
1031th Post

"Re(2):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Tue 6 Oct 02:31post reply

quote:
Great!

Street Fighter II: As I said before, my first choice was Dhalsim because he looked so freakish, and according to my young logic, being able to kick the face of your oponents from half the screen away=untouchable/unbeatable.

Darkstalkers: This one was hard for me, because the game was full of monsters, but seeing as everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY picked Rikuo, I had to choose someone to counter him... and what better option to fight an agile and cheap bastard like Rikuo than a slow moving, limb stretching, curse caster mummy? Take that slimy frog!

Street Fighter III: Necro, because to me he was like a mix of Dhalsim and Blanka, had pale skin with red tattoos and a child like personality.

Street Fighter III 2nd Impact: Hugo! Oh yes, sweet Hugo, a huge monsterous man with moves that screamed Painful! Attack me with your puny schoolgirls ninjas 20 times, I just need to catch you once and you're done!

SF III Third Strike: Q was like Hugo in the sense that he was big and his attacks had this heavy, painful feeling, like hitting with a wrecking ball. He wasn't as big as Hugo, yet he feels heavier and for some reason I think he's slower, but his specials are fast and very dinamic. What's not to love?

Street Fighter Ex: Quite possibly one of the best SF's out there (yes, I don't care I'm the only fan of this game). This one was hard to me, because I was torn between Skullomania and Garuda... In the end I chose Garuda, because he had a cool mask and armor, and his moves were just brutal.

Project Justice: Daigo.

Tech Romancer: Wiseduck. In a game filled with humanoid mechas I had to choose the one resembling a tank with the power to erase from the map 50 Diana 17's.

Samurai Shodown: Gen-An (is he related to Mai Shiranui?), a deformed green monster with a huge claw? my kind of character!

I don't remember any more fighters at the moment, but I will add more as soon as I remember.

You forgot King of Fighters Maxima.

hikarutilmitt
510th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Tue 6 Oct 02:56post reply

quote:
Since I almost never play against humans, I tend to try all characters and end up using the one that allows me to stay interested in the game the longest. It changes with time.

I think it's more that so many people simply don't play it anymore. I enjoy it a lot but I've got other games to play, to say nothing of other fighters to play.

Hibiki will always be my main there, though.

Time Mage
2775th Post

"Re(4):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Tue 6 Oct 03:19:post reply

quote:

I think it's more that so many people simply don't play it anymore. I enjoy it a lot but I've got other games to play, to say nothing of other fighters to play.

Hibiki will always be my main there, though.

In my case it's simply that I had to stop writing at some point. I used at first Moriya for his Kenshin-esque appearance and style, and although I still use him, I ended using most of the cast, really. I mean, except for the annoying kid (Akari), the guy with a steel mace whose name escapes me right now but that you know perfectly who I'm referring to, and the old man (sorry Mokona).

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

[this message was edited by Time Mage on Tue 6 Oct 03:19]

Ishmael
3585th Post

"Re(5):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Tue 6 Oct 04:14post reply

Since my choice in characters seems to be so arbitrary I can't properly articulate it I'll discuss the most recent character I found amusing instead. The most recent character that has grabbed my attention is Hakumen from BlazBlue. First, there's his play style. His countering ability intrigue me, with his counter super being especially satisfying to pull off. Then there's his general look and presentation. The simplicity of his color scheme appeals to me. I love the pretentious little speech he constantly gives about himself. I even dig the fact that the animators didn't even try to work out a way around the impossibility of getting his sword out of the scabbard on his back. It's a shame I'm not a big fan of BlazBlue because I quite like Hakumen.

Pollyanna
2782th Post

"Re(3):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Tue 6 Oct 05:46post reply

quote:
Dammit Polly.

AnywayI have weird tendencies about character picking preference. Such as;

Female > Male

Fast/Light/Agile > Slow/Heavy/Slowpoke

Least Popular (the best one) > Most Popular

Circle moves > Charge moves

Complex > Simple (depends)

This is fairly similar to my criteria as well. There is a limit to how fast a character can be for me, though. Chipp from Guilty Gear for example, is too fast. I like just a little power behind my hits.

I tend to like characters that are too complicated for me, sometimes. Like...I'll almost always use the most weird (interesting!) characters and end up losing a lot because I'm just not that great at fighting games. Still, I get irritated if a character I like becomes a high tier and suddenly becomes popular. It's like "You don't really love them like I do! You just love them for their money!"

quote:
Man, there's no love for The Last Blade in this world... such a shame.

Last Blade 1 can suck it, but Last Blade 2 is one of my favorite fighters of all time. Unless I'm forgetting something, I can say there is no fighting game sequel I'd rather see than Last Blade 3.

Shikyo was my first pick in LB because, as I mentioned, crazy characters are high priority for me.

Setsuna was first in LB2 (pretty), but I continued using him for the joy of breaking out his SD move, which is one of the coolest attacks in anything, ever.

Although I liked the game enough to play as nearly everyone, Amano ended up being my favorite. I don't know if he's so cool that he's lame, or he's so lame that he's cool.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Phoenix
918th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(6):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Tue 6 Oct 06:05:post reply

KOF: The first KOF character that grabbed me was Kim so he's my main to this day. I love rushdown characters and his gameplay is consistently solid. Also characters that ramble about justice = WIN. Plus he's a wonderful father and husband. Nowadays I can play about half the cast of KOF but Kim is still my main.

FF: Terry Bogard. When the spotlight is on Terry he seems to become a different beast. His moves become more powerful and his personality is much more pronounced than his comparably subdued self in KOF. This applies to RB too. Other notable characters that grabbed my attention include Geese and Yamazaki.

MOTW: Jae Hoon. Justice, flame kicks, Iori's hair, clapping girlfriend, lazy brother, absolutely solid gameplay... List goes on.

LB: Akari is so ridiculously full of life that I can't help but find her charming. She's kind of like Yuri without the 80's leotard. And her moves are so whack that she's an instant win for me. Her unique design, eccentric tendencies, and gameplay have won me over.

SS: Galford with Poppy. I love how Poppy complements his gameplay. Galford also fights for justice and his background in Samsho 1 along with his background music theme are some of my favorites. His super in SS2 where Poppy does the SPD rocks and his victory poses are cool too. Nowadays I main Haoh cuz he's so easy to use.

SF2: I couldn't play shotos at first so after training non stop Blanka Balls and Psycho Crushers. I ended up maining chargies like Guile and Bison.

Alpha: Initially Ken with his shoryureppa and shinryuken. Then I started taking a liking to Gen with his complex styles and immunity to raging demon storywise.

Project Justice: Daigo for the same reasons as everyone else. I also wanted to learn Akira cuz I found her to be appealing. Maybe there's something about that family?

Darkstalkers: Victor. For some reason I really dug this Frankenstein. He's big and powerful and produces electricity. It was my gut reaction to choose him as my main even though I'm probably better with Morrigan type characters.

SF3: Ken again. He is ridiculously solid and I was able to hold my own with him even as a beginner. I wanted to learn other characters like Yun and Alex but never really got around to it.

MK: Initially Johnny Cage because of the awesomeness of the shadown kick. Later on...Scorpion.

Soul Calibur: Initially, I mastered Hwang. I had to adjust to how much Namco changed him from Soul Edge. But then they replaced him with Yun Sung who sucks. So I play Seung Mina now. I really liked how you can play her father and Hwang's master in Soul Edge.

Tekken: Hwoarang. Gotta love that arrogant smirk of his. I've been able to hold my own with him since Tekken 3.

DOA: I play Lei Fang. I find her to be simple and straight forward yet tricky enough to be fun to master.

BB: Right now I'm maining Rachel Alucard. Something about how her crazy gameplay and story is quite unique and pretty deep. I also want to learn Tager. So yeah top and bottom tier...

GG: I suck at this series. But for what it's worth. I tried to learn Baiken and Johnny. I love sword characters and Baiken seemed pretty straight forward plus the Kenshin factor.

[this message was edited by Phoenix on Tue 6 Oct 06:27]

kofoguz
773th Post

"Re(4):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Tue 6 Oct 07:30post reply

quote:
This is fairly similar to my criteria as well. There is a limit to how fast a character can be for me, though. Chipp from Guilty Gear for example, is too fast. I like just a little power behind my hits.

Same here, for example call me crazy but I can almost sense character's weight. For example Choi is a fast character but its too fast and light for me. It feels awkward on the other hand eventhough heavy Chang is quite fast and feels alright. Hinako is a heavy character but the charm of her moves and not being a popular character hooked me.The only character the feels too light but I continue to pick is Elena.

quote:
I tend to like characters that are too complicated for me, sometimes. Like...I'll almost always use the most weird (interesting!) characters and end up losing a lot because I'm just not that great at fighting games. Still, I get irritated if a character I like becomes a high tier and suddenly becomes popular. It's like "You don't really love them like I do! You just love them for their money!"

It's the same , too. And I have a specific example. In 95 I really liked Iori, he wasnt popular around here and I guess wasnt top tier, also fast and interesting. I skipped 96 for personal reasons but when I was back 97, everyone was all about Iori. I remember how I despised him in 97. But then in 99 he got new moves and became unpopular again and I started to like him again. I was like "You're mine again". But that didnt last long either.
I really liked Angel but she's a bit heavy and was popular around here the moment she debuts so I couldnt get used to her. May Lee was uncontrollably light eventhough her heroic mode was better, I couldnt get used to her either since I couldnt play along heoic mode on/off game, if she had regular guard in heroic mode I would instantly change to her heroic mode and play like that.

Foxy was the only favourite from 2001, despite being a top tier character, I was the only one picking her. Her moves was weird and surprising that everyone I was fighting against was really angry. LOL, especially Clark users cause when they try to argentina backbreaker I was simply blow them off with dp. LOL. Sometimes I was choosing only her to fight and put rest of the team as strikers.

Spoon
1821th Post

"Re(5):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Tue 6 Oct 12:55post reply

I have this strange quirk when it comes to picking the character to use.

I will have seen all these images of characters in previews and thought about how so-and-so will be cool to use and how interested I am in seeing how so-and-so plays.

Then the game will come out, I'll look at the character select screen, see some character I hadn't even thought about prior, and then pick that one.

Whether or not I stick with that character is another story, though.

---

In the days of SF2, Guile was the coolest. No, the other character simply WEREN'T AS COOL. So we used Guile. It took us awhile to figure out what his name was, too (we weren't aware of the actual word, "guile", so we thought it was "Gulie" or something). He could shoot sonic boomerangs! He could do this awesome kick with the big slash through the air!

karasu99
223th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Wed 7 Oct 01:55post reply

For me, it's almost entirely aesthetics-based, for the past decade or so. To give an example, I used Makoto in SFIII:TS because of the outrageous attention given to her animation. The same goes for Hsien-Ko and Anakaris in Vampire. I should also note that when I first buy a 2D fighter, the very first thing I do is spend hours playing in training mode to see all of the character animations-- it's just a weird hangup I have, but that encapsulates about 40% of the enjoyment I get out of a game. I suspect that I'm pretty much alone in this pursuit, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone else does this.

But that's not always how I went about choosing my character. Back when SFII first came out, I cycled through a lot of characters at first: Blanka, Dhalsim, and Zangief, in that order. I can't really say if there was a reason for this; early on when I was playing against other humans in actual arcades people hadn't quite arrived at the Ken/Ryu model of picking the fireball throwing characters just yet, so I was able to use the 'stranger' characters to great effect.

Something no one else has mentioned is another method for selecting a character that's fallen out of fashion in the past decade-- I can remember picking the bosses once SFII:CE came out, simply because they hadn't been playable in the previous game. Sagat, in particular, I couldn't wait to play as-- the high-low fireball thing being especially attractive to me. I don't think this happens as much anymore, except with SNK bosses, who are only playable in the home versions.

Loona
268th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Wed 7 Oct 03:04post reply

SF2: Dhalsim - Due to a silly national law that was probably meant for gambling machines, until I was 16 I should have been legally unable to play arcade games, but I sure as hell liked to watch when I got the chance, and I like the flaming effect on Dhalsim's specials were a point in his favour, as was his range.
Unfortunately in later games they removed his auto-stretching, which made him less intuitive for me, keeping that nature in the Versus series. The good thing about CvS1 compared to his sequel was the option of playing him like that again.

MK: Sub-Zero - immobilize the victim, how awesome was that?
By MK3 I gravitated to Smoke though, secret character + jump kick -> teleport punch -> harpoon -> uppercut/combo was lovely, not to mention his Earth-destroying fatality; Sheeva was neat in that one too.

FF: Joe - of course, in my earlier days I'd gravitate a bit toward button-mash specials, and Joe having that + a projectile helped. Nowadays I practically forget he has that punch special and prefer to use his Golden Heel Kick (qcb + kick), me and my love for "death from above" specials... Hate that they've tended to portay him with stupily long hair though, his original FF look was fine.
Later on I leaned towards Hon-Fu, a bit of Kim (more "death from above" fun), also a bit of Tung (sadly he never got full transformations again...) and Chonrei (I'd really really like to see a playable version of what he must have become after the RB2 endings he's in).
Over the years I came to respect Geese more and more as a character, but with that came an increasing impression that you need a Geese-like mind and dedication to training to use him well, both for counters and execution of supers, and I'm far from being at that level.

SS: Jubei - since I practiced Aikido at the time, he kinda reminded me of my teacher, only with sword, and pretty much looking more like an actual samurai than everyone else. A mash special and a projectile also helped. To this day I still don't know if his "I'm not related to that guy from Fatal Fury" comment when you fight him refers to Geese or Jubei Yamada, although Geese is the likely answer.
Nakoruru had quite a bit of charm fo me in the 1st game, but I never really got the hang of using her. In SS2 I went with Cham-Cham, which was as far from what the game was all about as could be, but seemed fun, and from then on on the rare occasions I play it's either Ukyo for the neat aerial special, Haohmaru for the ease of use and awesome hard slash, and occasionally Kyoshiro since h seems to have an interesting repertoire. Would go for Hanzo/Galford more often, but I suck at them hard.

Vampire: L. Raptor/Zabel - the dance stance and chainsaw kicks did it for me, the electrocution effects helped. Talbain was cool enough in looks and moves to use, and Felicia ad some simplicity to her that was nice for irregular play.

Tekken: * Chang - remembering huge move lists of 3D games and getting them right tends to be hard for me, so the G-Clef Cannon move that just requires you to push the same button 3 times seemed like a reasonable way to get started. Loved Julia's default look in 4. Whenever I can use Heihachi's black gi with the tiger in his back, he's also a sure pick.

KoF: Kyo early on - I really liked the burning effects in 94, even if it meant dragging a grappler, which I never use, and a metrossexual around. Still love the eclipse logo on his jacket and gloves, and his NESTS saga self suck because it lacks those things - which in turn made Saishyu even more badass whenever he was selectable.
Later on characters like Leona (I liked the practical nature of her animations in 96, like tying her shoelaces or using a lecklace to tie her hair), Kim (FF reasons + running gave him a nice aggressive edge), Joe (FF reasons, hard kick since 96 was quite satisfactory to hit with), Ryo and Takuma (M Karate obsession) became recurring picks. Heidern isn't around often enough, but his range and life drain moves are handy. Rugal I'd use if he'd kept his 94 composture instead of the grinning musclehead he became in 98 - I'm sad to say I think it took Capcom to get him right, minus jacket, in the CvS games. I really like Vanessa, but can't really use her decently.

SFA: Dan at first, for the sake of SNK fandom, but later on leaned toward Rose - reflecting projectiles in a game where most use shotos couldn't be a bad deal, and between decent normals and Soul Spiral after SFA2 she could take care of herself nicely.

Capcom/Marvel crossovers: Rogue in XvSF for the power stealing (sadly didn't outlast that game), Dhalsim for the return to auto-stretch, Gouki for beam + raining projectiles supers, occasionally Captain Commando for what looks like the best anti-air ever.

LB: Zantetsu - aerial moves + projectile. Sadly, invisibility seems wasted against the CPU - I'd rather take another special instead.

DoA: Tina, when her hair was brown - I liked the female wrestler thing back then, even if I suck at grapplers; Fwd + kick -> back + punch was fun to connect with.

GG: Potemkin, mostly because of the range, for a grappler, and specials that made him useful even if you ignored his actual command grab. Also love to us his fwd + slash for really hard hits, especially when they eventually dizzied.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Tai-Pan
382th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Wed 7 Oct 03:08post reply

quote:
I suspect that I'm pretty much alone in this pursuit, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone else does this.

I go through the same ritual since the day I bought a pirated (chinese) version of SFII for my Famicom. I have spent more hours staring at the animation of every move for every character than actually playing the game.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

nobinobita
625th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(7):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Thu 8 Oct 08:11post reply

Holy moly! I've been gone for a week and I get back and the Cafe is ablaze with life!

I know I'm late to the game but here's how I picked my favorite characters:

SFII: Blanka. He was a cool monster, and charge moves were easy for my 9 year old mind to grasp.

World Heroes: Fuuma cos of he was hot blooded with his mane of red hair and the way he literally threw himself full force into every move.

MK, Killer Instinct: No one, cos I thought it was kind of hideous.

MKII: Kung Lao, cos he looked cool.

Sam Sho 1: Haomaru, cos he was hot blooded and fun to play.

Sam Sho 2: Genjuro, cos he was BADASS!

Sam Sho 3: Basara. Oh boy, this character rocked my world. I was OBSESSED with Basara. His creepy/handsome look, his tragic back story, his clear mental anguish. His win pose where the ghost of his lover rots in his arms! To my adolescent mind that was SO COOL! (I was a big fan of The Crow comic back then so i felt like this character was tailor made for me). Good lord, I drew so many pictures of this guy. He was the best!

Dark Stalkers: This is so hard to choose. I guess it was either Victor, Zabel or the Wolf Man. They were the ones I liked drawing the most. Wait, also Pyron.

Night Warriors: Donavan! For reasons similar to Basara. Also he got bonus points cos he had a little Wednesday Adams girl with him.

Vampire Savior: Q-bee just blew me away with her crazy animations and blank animal stare. So cute!

SFAlpha: Adon all the way. He was just so much fun to play!

SFEX: SKULLOMANIA!!!!!!! For the Ishinomori vibe and for his crazy moves. My older brother used to get mad at me for using him saying "that's cheap, he doesn't play like a SF character!"

Also, I don't know why that game gets a bad rap. It was fun, it controlled well and it introduced great concepts such as super cancels, command throws and reversals. Also, the graphics were cool. They were blocky, but they worked well on their own terms. And the colors were great, the game still looks great today.

Tekken 2: Brian Fury, cos he looked like Roy Batty.

Waku Waku 7: The dark elf dude, cos he was fun to play. Also the Totoro, cos his animations rocked.

SFIII: New Generation: I love everyone in this game but the first character I really latched onto was Necro. He just had such a fresh and cool look! He was so lanky and awkward. Also I had an immediate crush on Effie.

Third Strike: Makoto for her crazy aggressive animations! Though at the end of the day I like using Remy the most, not cos of his looks (I do dig the Saint Seiya reference in his story) but cos he's just damn fun to play. One of the best charge characters ever.

CVS: Back to the beginning, Blanka! This is probably the most fun version of him in any game. I actually won a fighting game tournament at an Anime convention using Blanka in this game. Good times!

Soul Calibur: Astaroth. I liked using his weird purple alternate color. Looked cool and was fun to play.

DBZ: Ultimate Battle 22: Majin Buu is the best.

Star Gladiator: Too many cool characters to choose from! I think I used Blood the most though, cos he was a cool looking Barbarian.

King of Monsters: The giant beetle all the way.

Guilty Gear: Chip, cos he button mashed EXACTLY the way I liked.

GGX: Venom, cos he just looked so cool! Also, I have an easier time w/charge characters.

GGX2: Zappa, cos he was like Basara with a sense of humour.

JoJo: Kakyoin all the way! I loved setting the invisible traps. Also Dio was just plain fun to use and looked SO COOL.

Blazblue: Taokaka, cos I like her animations. I wish she did just a smidge more damage though.

KOFXII: Ashe, cos he's fun to play and people hate losing to him. Joe cos he's just so fucking cool in this game! Looks and gameplay are both badass! I also love Kensou's new moveset. He's one of the most fun new (ish) characters I've played in a fighting game in years. And Clark, cos he now looks like Ahnuld circa Commando and Predator.

I really like this game! (sucks that it's unfinished, but I'm still having tons o' fun with it).

Hooboy, I better stop there before I start getting into every anime licensed fighter as well.

OHWAIT, almost forgot.
Tobal 2: Chuji Wu, cos he looked cool and was Chinese. God how I loved this game!

So it looks like I tend to pick whoever I think looks/acts the coolest in a game first. And then if I play a game long enough I'll settle on whoever is really the most fun for me to play.

quote:
I should also note that when I first buy a 2D fighter, the very first thing I do is spend hours playing in training mode to see all of the character animations-- it's just a weird hangup I have, but that encapsulates about 40% of the enjoyment I get out of a game. I suspect that I'm pretty much alone in this pursuit, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone else does this.

I totally do this! Seriously, it's so ... rewarding... to just sit and watch the animations! When SF: New Generation came out for Dreamcast I LOVED setting the game on slow motion!!! I wish more fighters would do that.

Hagen de Merak
1033th Post

"Re(8):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Thu 8 Oct 09:07post reply

quote:

SF2: Dhalsim - Due to a silly national law that was probably meant for gambling machines, until I was 16 I should have been legally unable to play arcade games, but I sure as hell liked to watch when I got the chance, and I like the flaming effect on Dhalsim's specials were a point in his favour, as was his range.
Unfortunately in later games they removed his auto-stretching, which made him less intuitive for me, keeping that nature in the Versus series. The good thing about CvS1 compared to his sequel was the option of playing him like that again.

MK: Sub-Zero - immobilize the victim, how awesome was that?
By MK3 I gravitated to Smoke though, secret character + jump kick -> teleport punch -> harpoon -> uppercut/combo was lovely, not to mention his Earth-destroying fatality; Sheeva was neat in that one too.

FF: Joe - of course, in my earlier days I'd gravitate a bit toward button-mash specials, and Joe having that + a projectile helped. Nowadays I practically forget he has that punch special and prefer to use his Golden Heel Kick (qcb + kick), me and my love for "death from above" specials... Hate that they've tended to portay him with stupily long hair though, his original FF look was fine.
Later on I leaned towards Hon-Fu, a bit of Kim (more "death from above" fun), also a bit of Tung (sadly he never got full transformations again...) and Chonrei (I'd really really like to see a playable version of what he must have become after the RB2 endings he's in).
Over the years I came to respect Geese more and more as a character, but with that came an increasing impression that you need a Geese-like mind and dedication to training to use him well, both for counters and execution of supers, and I'm far from being at that level.

SS: Jubei - since I practiced Aikido at the time, he kinda reminded me of my teacher, only with sword, and pretty much looking more like an actual samurai than everyone else. A mash special and a projectile also helped. To this day I still don't know if his "I'm not related to that guy from Fatal Fury" comment when you fight him refers to Geese or Jubei Yamada, although Geese is the likely answer.
Nakoruru had quite a bit of charm fo me in the 1st game, but I never really got the hang of using her. In SS2 I went with Cham-Cham, which was as far from what the game was all about as could be, but seemed fun, and from then on on the rare occasions I play it's either Ukyo for the neat aerial special, Haohmaru for the ease of use and awesome hard slash, and occasionally Kyoshiro since h seems to have an interesting repertoire. Would go for Hanzo/Galford more often, but I suck at them hard.

Vampire: L. Raptor/Zabel - the dance stance and chainsaw kicks did it for me, the electrocution effects helped. Talbain was cool enough in looks and moves to use, and Felicia ad some simplicity to her that was nice for irregular play.

Tekken: * Chang - remembering huge move lists of 3D games and getting them right tends to be hard for me, so the G-Clef Cannon move that just requires you to push the same button 3 times seemed like a reasonable way to get started. Loved Julia's default look in 4. Whenever I can use Heihachi's black gi with the tiger in his back, he's also a sure pick.

KoF: Kyo early on - I really liked the burning effects in 94, even if it meant dragging a grappler, which I never use, and a metrossexual around. Still love the eclipse logo on his jacket and gloves, and his NESTS saga self suck because it lacks those things - which in turn made Saishyu even more badass whenever he was selectable.
Later on characters like Leona (I liked the practical nature of her animations in 96, like tying her shoelaces or using a lecklace to tie her hair), Kim (FF reasons + running gave him a nice aggressive edge), Joe (FF reasons, hard kick since 96 was quite satisfactory to hit with), Ryo and Takuma (M Karate obsession) became recurring picks. Heidern isn't around often enough, but his range and life drain moves are handy. Rugal I'd use if he'd kept his 94 composture instead of the grinning musclehead he became in 98 - I'm sad to say I think it took Capcom to get him right, minus jacket, in the CvS games. I really like Vanessa, but can't really use her decently.

SFA: Dan at first, for the sake of SNK fandom, but later on leaned toward Rose - reflecting projectiles in a game where most use shotos couldn't be a bad deal, and between decent normals and Soul Spiral after SFA2 she could take care of herself nicely.

Capcom/Marvel crossovers: Rogue in XvSF for the power stealing (sadly didn't outlast that game), Dhalsim for the return to auto-stretch, Gouki for beam + raining projectiles supers, occasionally Captain Commando for what looks like the best anti-air ever.

LB: Zantetsu - aerial moves + projectile. Sadly, invisibility seems wasted against the CPU - I'd rather take another special instead.

DoA: Tina, when her hair was brown - I liked the female wrestler thing back then, even if I suck at grapplers; Fwd + kick -> back + punch was fun to connect with.

GG: Potemkin, mostly because of the range, for a grappler, and specials that made him useful even if you ignored his actual command grab. Also love to us his fwd + slash for really hard hits, especially when they eventually dizzied.

Holy moly! I've been gone for a week and I get back and the Cafe is ablaze with life!

I know I'm late to the game but here's how I picked my favorite characters:

SFII: Blanka. He was a cool monster, and charge moves were easy for my 9 year old mind to grasp.

World Heroes: Fuuma cos of he was hot blooded with his mane of red hair and the way he literally threw himself full force into every move.

MK, Killer Instinct: No one, cos I thought it was kind of hideous.

MKII: Kung Lao, cos he looked cool.

Sam Sho 1: Haomaru, cos he was hot blooded and fun to play.

Sam Sho 2: Genjuro, cos he was BADASS!

Sam Sho 3: Basara. Oh boy, this character rocked my world. I was OBSESSED with Basara. His creepy/handsome look, his tragic back story, his clear mental anguish. His win pose where the ghost of his lover rots in his arms! To my adolescent mind that was SO COOL! (I was a big fan of The Crow comic back then so i felt like this character was tailor made for me). Good lord, I drew so many pictures of this guy. He was the best!

Dark Stalkers: This is so hard to choose. I guess it was either Victor, Zabel or the Wolf Man. They were the ones I liked drawing the most. Wait, also Pyron.

Night Warriors: Donavan! For reasons similar to Basara. Also he got bonus points cos he had a little Wednesday Adams girl with him.

Vampire Savior: Q-bee just blew me away with her crazy animations and blank animal stare. So cute!

SFAlpha: Adon all the way. He was just so much fun to play!

SFEX: SKULLOMANIA!!!!!!! For the Ishinomori vibe and for his crazy moves. My older brother used to get mad at me for using him saying "that's cheap, he doesn't play like a SF character!"

Also, I don't know why that game gets a bad rap. It was fun, it controlled well and it introduced great concepts such as super cancels, command throws and reversals. Also, the graphics were cool. They were blocky, but they worked well on their own terms. And the colors were great, the game still looks great today.

Tekken 2: Brian Fury, cos he looked like Roy Batty.

Waku Waku 7: The dark elf dude, cos he was fun to play. Also the Totoro, cos his animations rocked.

SFIII: New Generation: I love everyone in this game but the first character I really latched onto was Necro. He just had such a fresh and cool look! He was so lanky and awkward. Also I had an immediate crush on Effie.

Third Strike: Makoto for her crazy aggressive animations! Though at the end of the day I like using Remy the most, not cos of his looks (I do dig the Saint Seiya reference in his story) but cos he's just damn fun to play. One of the best charge characters ever.

CVS: Back to the beginning, Blanka! This is probably the most fun version of him in any game. I actually won a fighting game tournament at an Anime convention using Blanka in this game. Good times!

Soul Calibur: Astaroth. I liked using his weird purple alternate color. Looked cool and was fun to play.

DBZ: Ultimate Battle 22: Majin Buu is the best.

Star Gladiator: Too many cool characters to choose from! I think I used Blood the most though, cos he was a cool looking Barbarian.

King of Monsters: The giant beetle all the way.

Guilty Gear: Chip, cos he button mashed EXACTLY the way I liked.

GGX: Venom, cos he just looked so cool! Also, I have an easier time w/charge characters.

GGX2: Zappa, cos he was like Basara with a sense of humour.

JoJo: Kakyoin all the way! I loved setting the invisible traps. Also Dio was just plain fun to use and looked SO COOL.

Blazblue: Taokaka, cos I like her animations. I wish she did just a smidge more damage though.

KOFXII: Ashe, cos he's fun to play and people hate losing to him. Joe cos he's just so fucking cool in this game! Looks and gameplay are both badass! I also love Kensou's new moveset. He's one of the most fun new (ish) characters I've played in a fighting game in years. And Clark, cos he now looks like Ahnuld circa Commando and Predator.

I really like this game! (sucks that it's unfinished, but I'm still having tons o' fun with it).

Hooboy, I better stop there before I start getting into every anime licensed fighter as well.

OHWAIT, almost forgot.
Tobal 2: Chuji Wu, cos he looked cool and was Chinese. God how I loved this game!

So it looks like I tend to pick whoever I think looks/acts the coolest in a game first. And then if I play a game long enough I'll settle on whoever is really the most fun for me to play.

I should also note that when I first buy a 2D fighter, the very first thing I do is spend hours playing in training mode to see all of the character animations-- it's just a weird hangup I have, but that encapsulates about 40% of the enjoyment I get out of a game. I suspect that I'm pretty much alone in this pursuit, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone else does this.

I totally do this! Seriously, it's so ... rewarding... to just sit and watch the animations! When SF: New Generation came out for Dreamcast I LOVED setting the game on slow motion!!! I wish more fighters would do that.

nice

Amakusa
824th Post

"Re(2):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Thu 8 Oct 11:54post reply

Sequel time.

Last Blade. I use Washizuka in the original game exclusively. When the second game came around I also incorporated Kojiroh because she played like a manual version of Washizuka, so a number of the same techniques still applied. I also took a liking to using Hibiki as well, and in the NGPC version I started using Kagami a lot (I don't in the regular version, though).

Guilty Gear. I started out with Millia, and I still use her. On occasion I use Baiken, though. Millia probably stuck out because she seemed to possess the kind of qualities I found in Leona in KOF, and hell, I had no idea what I was doing, but I did something right, apparently. I tried using other characters and none really clicked for me, although Slayer could've fit the bill if it wasn't for the fact I kept hurting my hand when I used him.

Tekken. Bah, I don't really like this game that much. I think I used Kunimitsu the most in TTT and did okay with her for some reason, also ended up using Jun (and later her brat Asuka because Kunimitsu is never coming back). Maybe it was the mask... Hell who am I kidding, I don't even like Tekken.

Dead or Alive. I stuck with Ayane initially because she had a costume with this freakishly huge butterfly bow. Then one day I found out I could 100% kill someone by using counters alone (that really pissed the other guy off). I pretty much stopped playing it after that, too.

Virtua Fighter. I mainly stick with Aoi for much the same reasons as similar characters previously mentioned. I did try my hand with Lau, but for some reason he didn't groove with what I wanted to do.

World Heroes. I used Brocken. Hell, he had the stretchy arms thing going, why not?

Marvel VS. Hmm... toward the end I used Tron a lot, and for whatever reason I took a liking to Sentinel. I guess I got attracted to the idea of beating the stuffing out of someone with the big lug. Or maybe I was in a robot phase. But, in any case, throughout the entire set of games I used Psylocke the most, probably because I thought she was hot.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

KTallguy
1161th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):How we picked our favorite fighters" , posted Thu 8 Oct 17:28post reply

Fighting games hmmmmm, there was a certain point where I started choosing characters based on how they play rather than how they look, but now it's a bit of a mishmash. In general I like: Ninjas, fast characters with long button strings, aggressively rushing down opponents, cool throws, sometimes "flowy" moves, other times "brutal" moves.

Street Fighter 2 - Went from using Chun Li (because her down middle kick is so cool!) to Guile because I found Sonic Booms easier to perform. Funny that now if I want to play competitively in Super Turbo I have to use Ryu or Balrog (boxer). Ryu is so fun to use because he has everything, and can be played so effectively in so many different ways. Balrog is amazing rushdown and like an overwhelming force, which is fun to command.

Alpha/Zero - I really liked Sakura when I first got my hands on Alpha 2, but now it's all about Guy. I love "chain combo" characters, and Guy has the cool air throw -> slam, lots of moves that go around fireballs to surprise the opponent.

Street Fighter 3 - Ibuki. No contest. I like messing around with the other characters but I was hooked on her from day one. Love the feeling of every hit of those long chain strings, love the "realistic" ninja look, love the power fist that ends her combos. Too bad it requires so much work for her to defeat some of the other characters.

Street Fighter 4 - For some reason I just latched onto Balrog (Boxer), and now I can't really use other characters very well. It was mainly for how he played, nothing about Balrog's look really appeals to me. Also in SF4 you have to be slightly more cautious with Balrog, you can't be the rushdown machine as easily as in Super Turbo. But he's still plenty fun and has a bunch of new moves/options/fun setups.

Mortal Kombat - I was a sucker for Scorpion and the spear "get over here" move, but I was never serious about it. Man though, looking at the original MK movie, I can't believe how excited I was over something so poorly choreographed.

Samurai Shodown - Huge Ukyo fan at first, mainly because of the whole apple motif and the unique look. Then I really liked Cham-Cham in two (never cared for her brother), because I thought boomerangs were cool and her jumping throw was awesome. But as I got older and serious about the game, I embraced Hanzo and never looked back. Dashing Izuma Drop is amazing, his fireball is amazing, his normal moves are great and have good range/priority, and he's just a fast, agile character. (I hate Kyoshiro).

Last Blade - I never played this competitively but I really liked the firey kung fu guy, Lee Rekka. Is he actually good? I really like his long combos, but it seems like you are really unsafe if you screw up.

Dark Stalkers - Sadly I didn't ever have access to this as a kid. I recently picked up the older Vampire Hunter for Saturn and I really like Q-Bee and Talbain. The whole thing that Q-Bee's real eyes are on top of her head is really creepy. Talbain is a very classic design, but then he pulls out nunchuks? (By the way, that nunchuk move seems worthless, I never see it in match videos).

Guilty Gear - When I do play, it's Faust or Jam. I'm pretty horrible, but I was once slightly annoying with Faust. I like the randomness of the items, the bag head, the voice acting, and his forward + a huge slice attack.

KOF - I really like K', especially when he was first introduced. Cool teleport move, qcb kick move is really fun to hit with, and his super moves are really satisfying. The other character I really liked was B. Mary: really fun takedowns with multiple inputs, but not as difficult to use as Clark, in my opinion. I liked her dog too (haha). Other than that ... I guess I would pick Yuri just because of her huge fireball and double uppercut, but I never had a big thing for using her.

Garou/Fatal Fury - Again, never played these too seriously, but Blue Mary in the later FF titles, and Rock in Garou, basically.

Tekken - I only use Lei Wu Long, and really badly. I'm horrible at Tekken. But all of the stance changes were really really cool, and I love how they seem to be actually useful in Tekken 6!

Virtua Fighter - In the beginning I was torn between Pai and Aoi. I wanted a character with counter moves. But I found Aoi too wimpy, and Pai for some reason didn't work out. Then I tried Vanessa. She had counter moves, but also a pretty aggressive style that appealed to me. Because Vanessa is so different from a lot of the VF cast, I really haven't felt like devoting the time to use a different character, so she remains the only character I am proficient with in any way to this day. (But they took out almost all of her counters!).

Soul Calibur - Kilik, because of the whole long reach staff thing. But I'm really bad.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)