Let's talk about Street Fighter III versions - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2581 Views )

Maou
1818th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Let's talk about Street Fighter III versions" , posted Wed 30 Sep 23:49post reply

Yeah, SSF IV has its own thread now, but all it's done is remind me of my regrets that SF III sort of passed me by until it was basically too late (like: when the PS2 version of Third Strike came out). I love the game, even though I'm no good at parrying because my friends and I didn't have the time to hone our skills like we did with the Zero series in high school on our lowly 32-bit systems.

Anyway, I just got to thinking about the different versions of SF III: I own 3S and have only played the original VERY briefly in the arcade. May not even have ever seen 2nd Impact. This wicked funky theme Ryu has for 2nd Impact has made me believe I should revisit the series, clamor for a SF III Collection like the recent Zero collection, and learn about the other versions. I know we've talked about the other SF III's briefly in another thread once, but I'd love to hear the values of each version, even though 3S is the favored one, of course.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Replies:

Iggy
8976th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 00:18post reply

SF3(1) has the most amazing backgrounds in any fighting game. Painting+fisheye=wow.
Alex's is incredible, and the original music is fabulous.

Tai-Pan
377th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 01:04post reply

quote:
SF3(1) has the most amazing backgrounds in any fighting game. Painting+fisheye=wow.

I love the first one for all the reasons he mentioned. I still remember walking 10 kilometers to an obscure arcade that had it at the time. It was a simple and unfinished product, but it was oh so pretty.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Hagen de Merak
1025th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 01:54post reply

I picked up double impact back in the Dreamcast days. Comes with the first 2 versions prior to third strike. If you own a Dreamcast I recommend it. I'm not sure how much it goes for nowadays, but it shouldn't be too expensive if you browse around.

karasu99
220th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 02:27post reply

quote:

I'll second this. The other two games can hardly even compare. Although for me, Ibuji's is the very best, with the huge moon and color scheme.

Toxico
4777th Post

"Re(2):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 02:55post reply

quote:

I have always considered myself a kind of nemesis of the SF series, but I was quite positively surprised with many of the artistic choices of 3rd generation (in my heart, it was almost like capcom's garou densetsu 3.... almost).

The possibility of bitch slapping people with Andore in second strike was quite nicely receibed as well.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 08/05/09 (99 personajes)

Now sponsoring : videogame analogies
Last update : Chapter 8 as of 25/09/09

karasu99
221th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 04:17post reply

quote:

The possibility of bitch slapping people with Andore in second strike was quite nicely receibed as well.

Speaking of which, can someone explain why they used Hugo as his name as opposed to Andore? Is it that the defamation suit was a little too close with putting an obviously real-person-derived character into a somewhat high profile fighter?

Maou
1819th Post

"Re(4):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 04:25post reply

quote:
Is it that the defamation suit was a little too close with putting an obviously real-person-derived character into a somewhat high profile fighter?

Mike Ty, er, M. Bison says: "That could never happen! Especially not when people think I'm Dictator!"

Gojira
2550th Post

"Re(4):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 04:33post reply

quote:

Speaking of which, can someone explain why they used Hugo as his name as opposed to Andore? Is it that the defamation suit was a little too close with putting an obviously real-person-derived character into a somewhat high profile fighter?

Defamation or not, creating a character that looks like someone IRL and then naming them after someone IRL is like a massive denial of creativity (the name Andore is no different from André in Japanese). They probably just didn't want that after all the work they put into him, and Hugo was one of the giant's names in FF anyway IIRC.

Though in a way it's slightly puzzling that they went with the grunt design and not one of the FF bosses, like say Abigail.

shipoopi

Toxico
4779th Post

"Re(5):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 05:42:post reply

quote:

Though in a way it's slightly puzzling that they went with the grunt design and not one of the FF bosses, like say Abigail.

Well, perhaps Andore was much more of an icon I for the saga (he was in many Final Fight port covers, and even made it to those bastardly weird console follow ups, unlike bigail). In a similar fashion, it's odd to see that they used Andre as a grunt instead of a big bad evil boss.

Also, I spent a big part of my childhood chasing after Rolento's shadow walk technique, but in reality catching him was much easier than what I originally thought off

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 1 Oct 05:48]

Freeter
4473th Post

"Re(2):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 07:43post reply

quote:

The only reason I even play NG is because its presentation is so far beyond its successors it's not even fair.

Capcom needs to do an SF3 Remix version that allows you to have the 3S cast/gameplay but with NG's menus/stages/etc.

HAYATO
946th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 08:36post reply

quote:

Capcom needs to do an SF3 Remix version that allows you to have the 3S cast/gameplay but with NG's menus/stages/etc.

This is SO true that it hurts... I almost cry tears of blood everytime I think about the subject!!

I assume that thinking this way is common sense and a widespread opinion among fans (at least those fans who tried the three installments of the saga), at least judging by my personal experience and my friends' testimonies.

What I cannot understand is why is taking so long to revamp/compile the games, specially after doing so with other franchises such as "Power Stone" or "Vampire Chronicles"...

Grave
1215th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 09:33post reply

quote:
What I cannot understand is why is taking so long to revamp/compile the games, specially after doing so with other franchises such as "Power Stone" or "Vampire Chronicles"...

Compiling Power Stone on PSP wasn't enough, so I certainly wouldn't check that off the list yet! My problem is that I wouldn't want them to do it if it didn't have netplay. If Capcom handled that in Japan it'll be a mess like SF4, if they "handled" it in the US they'd just give it to Backbone who would release a broken product with the worst menus imaginable and everyone would refuse to take responsibility for anything wrong with it.

So... maybe it's better that it takes longer! If it never happens they can never ruin it, right?!

Spoon
1817th Post

"Re(4):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 11:11post reply

quote:

This is SO true that it hurts... I almost cry tears of blood everytime I think about the subject!!

I assume that thinking this way is common sense and a widespread opinion among fans (at least those fans who tried the three installments of the saga), at least judging by my personal experience and my friends' testimonies.

I'm not sure why you'd want some of NG's interface. The garish fonts, the bland "who's next" display in single player, the ugly super art selection boxes, the large portraits that are so inferior to 3S's, the fullscreen flash that happens on any parry, the the silly-looking storm background at the prefight (which really didn't match anything in the game)... I was a fan of the crazy animated background during super for games like the Vs. series ones, but the one in pre-3S just doesn't communicate anything to me; it's a distorting background that doesn't do anything to enhance my sense of how awesome or powerful the super is.

The pre-3S backgrounds were nice, but when I think of anything else I wind up thinking about things like Urien's face in his large portrait in 2I.

Freeter
4474th Post

"Re(5):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 13:39post reply

quote:

I'm not sure why you'd want some of NG's interface. The garish fonts, the bland "who's next" display in single player, the ugly super art selection boxes, the large portraits that are so inferior to 3S's, the fullscreen flash that happens on any parry, the the silly-looking storm background at the prefight (which really didn't match anything in the game)... I was a fan of the crazy animated background during super for games like the Vs. series ones, but the one in pre-3S just doesn't communicate anything to me; it's a distorting background that doesn't do anything to enhance my sense of how awesome or powerful the super is.

The pre-3S backgrounds were nice, but when I think of anything else I wind up thinking about things like Urien's face in his large portrait in 2I.

Because NG's look as a whole is much more vibrant and dynamic than both 2I and 3S. The backgrounds are lively and have a true sense of depth, unlike most fighting game backgrounds that are just flat and dull. The stage intros truly show off the impressive scope of these fields, unlike in 3S where they don't even bother.

The large portraits aren't refined like 3S's, but they emit a 'raw' feeling with the bold lines and sharper edges. It makes the characters look like real fighters ready to get their hands dirty instead of just posing for a photo op.

I agree about the super bg in NG being ugly, but that can easily be shut off so no complaints there.

The 'storm' pre-fight screen makes sense with the presentation given that Gill was the final boss. It's easily skippable, so if it wasn't your cup of tea, so be it. I thought the lightning effect made for a good jolt to the senses to get you psyched for the battle.

Maybe it's just the former art student in me talking, but even as a casual observer, I was first exposed to 3S before the other games, and when I saw NG afterwards I still thought it looked better even from a distance. That's just me though.

Spoon
1818th Post

"Re(6):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 15:05post reply

I wonder if I've made a horrible mistake in even mentioning the portraits, because it shifts the discussion to something about art assets in the game as opposed to strictly interface issues/elements... then again, on further thought I'm not really sure how to divide those things without sounding hopelessly arbitrary.

Still, if the answer to "these things seem ugly/annoying" is "you can skip them", that doesn't make it sound like it's altogether better.

Iggy
8980th Post

"Re(4):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 19:17post reply

quote:

On the other hand, I don't think there is a way in Vampire Chronicles to play Savior with Hunter backgrounds... The only arrange versions are just Savior, S2 and H2 playable with all the characters + Dee (which is already nice, though).
But I still want to be able to play Jedah or Q-Bee in the classic Hunter background... and I mean, outside of Mugen.

Gojira
2551th Post

"Re(7):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 21:52post reply

The portrait art in NG may be less refined than 3s but the post-fight art in NG is better than 3s's portraits. I was pretty disappointed with the 3s post-fight just being the same portraits again.

quote:
Still, if the answer to "these things seem ugly/annoying" is "you can skip them", that doesn't make it sound like it's altogether better.

Well, it's better than "you can't skip them." And it leaves the issue as subjective as it probably should be.

shipoopi

Iron D
3300th Post

"Re(8):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Thu 1 Oct 22:30post reply

I was just flat out annoyed with them getting rid of NG and 2I's post fight screens. That was always awesome in the SFII series and I was jazzed to see them back.

Also, I prefer the character select artwork for the first two over 3S as well. Alex looked totally badass in his portrait in the first two games, but looked of like a sexual predator in his 3S portrait.

Still prefer 3S as far as music and gameplay go. Although the first two did still have some awesome music. Of Gill's three themes, I'd definitely say his 2I theme was the best.

Er.....

Ishmael
3581th Post

"Re(7):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Fri 2 Oct 01:31post reply

While NG felt incomplete in its gameplay I loved the look of the thing. As Iggy noted the backgrounds were charming and organic. They also kept alive Capcom's tradition of sticking animals into the fighting stages. Whether it was an alley cat watching over Alex's stage or monkeys washing a fat man there was no shortage of life to those scenes.

Also of note is that SF3 came out during an age of endless tag matches, partner summoning and other gimmickry. It was so refreshing at the time to be able to play a game where it was simply two characters fighting it out and at no point could you hit a button to make a choppy animated Captain America hop out of nowhere or fill the screen with flying lasers bolts. While 2I fixed a lot of the gameplay issues I had with SF3 I wasn't as fond of its more garish presentation.

I do, however, think that Street Fighter 3: 2nd Impact Giant Attack is one of the greatest game names ever.

quote:
I wonder if I've made a horrible mistake in even mentioning the portraits, because it shifts the discussion to something about art assets in the game as opposed to strictly interface issues/elements... then again, on further thought I'm not really sure how to divide those things without sounding hopelessly arbitrary.

Actually, I think that discussing the artistic style of a game is perfectly appropriate. Gameplay, art, and other elements all come together to make a game and each piece is, in its own way, as important as the other.

Pollyanna
2774th Post

"Re(9):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ver" , posted Fri 2 Oct 19:11post reply

quote:
I was just flat out annoyed with them getting rid of NG and 2I's post fight screens. That was always awesome in the SFII series and I was jazzed to see them back.

The loss screen pictures in NG (never played 2I, so I can't comment) BLEW MY MIND. Ryu's expression is so intense, Necro's is so sad and cute...Alex's is so badass!

Thank you, thank you everyone for reminding me what a fantastic game NG was in terms of sheer guts! Thinking back on how far they pushed the envelope in that game really puts things in perspective. Unfortunately, it fills me with contempt for SF4. I feel like only KOF can carry on the legacy now.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Tai-Pan
378th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ve" , posted Sat 3 Oct 00:37post reply

quote:
I feel like only KOF can carry on the legacy now.

You can't be serious...as much as I LOVE, dream about, and breathe KOF since it first came out, I don't see it carrying any legacy.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Iron D
3303th Post

"Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter III ve" , posted Sat 3 Oct 01:04post reply

quote:

The loss screen pictures in NG (never played 2I, so I can't comment) BLEW MY MIND.

All returning characters had the same pics in 2I, and there were obviously additions for Akuma, Hugo, and Urien.

quote:
You can't be serious...as much as I LOVE, dream about, and breathe KOF since it first came out, I don't see it carrying any legacy.

I'm guessing she's talking about some kind of personal legacy. At least, that's pretty much the only way I can make sense of that comment.

Er.....

Hagen de Merak
1028th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter " , posted Sat 3 Oct 02:39post reply

quote:

I do. They continue to make 2d fighting games. They may suck, or not, or they might not be popular, but they still carry it. Arc System Works is still going strong I suppose. Other than these 2, I don't see anyone else making 2d fighters.

Toxico
4780th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter " , posted Sat 3 Oct 06:11post reply

quote:

I'm guessing she's talking about some kind of personal legacy. At least, that's pretty much the only way I can make sense of that comment.

Actually I take this as "the guts to reinvent yourself" as far as a series goes. (This topic has popped up here a lot).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

kofoguz
769th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter" , posted Sat 3 Oct 07:06post reply

quote:

She's not saying KOF XII is perfect game. Eventhough its lackluster game, sprites that reflects personality, art choice, backgrounds. Those are giving us the hints what will coming to future KOF games. I think she means that.

Btw KOF XII lacks a lot of things, (most unbelieveably brain freezing, is it too hard to add picture endings or "thanks for playing" pics?)It still is a beautiful game if you have someone around to play together.

Pollyanna
2775th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter" , posted Sat 3 Oct 07:56post reply

quote:
Actually I take this as "the guts to reinvent yourself" as far as a series goes. (This topic has popped up here a lot).

Yes.

And...

quote:

She's not saying KOF XII is perfect game. Eventhough its lackluster game, sprites that reflects personality, art choice, backgrounds. Those are giving us the hints what will coming to future KOF games. I think she means that.

Btw KOF XII lacks a lot of things, (most unbelieveably brain freezing, is it too hard to add picture endings or "thanks for playing" pics?)It still is a beautiful game if you have someone around to play together.

Yes as well.

KOF XI has gorgeous, stylized, well animated sprites and backgrounds... (most of)the characters show so a tremendous amount of personality through their movements alone. The cinemas, although lacking in characters we actually want to see, look stylish and crisp.

It's another SF3: simultaneously impressive and underwhelming, but certainly holding a lot of potential.

Also, Kofoguz's addition of :"If you have someone around to play" is important. I'm having an absolute blast with the game playing with friends. The online makes me want to murder someone, and I've only gone through arcade mode 3 times, but I'm still enjoying the game so much that I've hardly touched any other fighters since I got it.

I mean, we're comparing to SF3 here, which is...highly coveted for it's single player experience or something?

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

ONSLAUGHT
3864th Post

"Best 2nd Impact theme" , posted Sat 3 Oct 07:58post reply

Yeah!

Maou
1823th Post

"Re(1):Best 2nd Impact theme" , posted Sat 3 Oct 09:44post reply

quote:
Yeah!

Wow, this is almost as rad as Ryuu's theme I put above...though I will admit that I really dig the 3S version, too, which sounds so noir it's unbelievable. I've never cared about the series mixers like in Zero collection, but my ideal SFIII collection will evidentally enable me to play 3S with 2I's music and NG's backgrounds and art direction.

Iron D
3305th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter" , posted Sat 3 Oct 10:14post reply

quote:

Yes.

You guys say this as if KoF reinvents itself more than other fighters. In fact, I've always felt that KoF doesn't reinvent itself enough. XII is sort of a reinvention, but doesn't even add a single new character and is just as much about being old school as being something "new".

Hell, I could look at just SNK games and see other series that have reinvented themselves more often and to a greater extent (such as the Fatal Fury series).

quote:
KOF XI has gorgeous, stylized, well animated sprites and backgrounds... (most of)the characters show so a tremendous amount of personality through their movements alone. The cinemas, although lacking in characters we actually want to see, look stylish and crisp.
quote:

I'm wondering if we're playing the same game here, because I feel that KoF XI's backgrounds are one of the weaker points of the game. Most of the backgrounds have little to no activity happening in them and are just plain boring to me. This is not even comparing it to the SF3 series; most other games in the KoF series have more lively backgrounds

Er.....

Toxico
4781th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter" , posted Sat 3 Oct 10:49post reply

quote:

You guys say this as if KoF reinvents itself more than other fighters. In fact, I've always felt that KoF doesn't reinvent itself enough. XII is sort of a reinvention, but doesn't even add a single new character and is just as much about being old school as being something "new".

Hell, I could look at just SNK games and see other series that have reinvented themselves more often and to a greater extent (such as the Fatal Fury series).

That's exactly the point (but you are not interpreting it correctly), when fighting games where more in vogue; it wasn't that weird seeing games trying extreme make overs in other to keep the appeal open (for example; in the AoF series none of the games inherits graphics from the previous one, they where always redrawn in order to modify slightly the style). It came, a point in industry where companies became too conservative and "make overs" where pretty much done for (don't make me count the amount of games where Morringan sprite or Sol sprite has been pasted). Prior to XII the game KoF was the epitome of..... let's say.... "keeping the characters coherent with the previous game.

When people where pretty much nominating KoF as a green peace representative SNK went out of it's way, and tried to re - inject life to the series once and for all. That's something that we haven't seen in a while and we won't see in a while; it gave the game a whole knew image (not only literally but direction wise as well).

Heck, if it wasn't for sega sammy thing; it' sure that Blaz blue would have been a guilty gear last name instead of a new game. It was a forced evolution, not a willing one

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Spoon
1820th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter" , posted Sat 3 Oct 11:21post reply

quote:

That's exactly the point (but you are not interpreting it correctly), when fighting games where more in vogue; it wasn't that weird seeing games trying extreme make overs in other to keep the appeal open (for example; in the AoF series none of the games inherits graphics from the previous one, they where always redrawn in order to modify slightly the style). It came, a point in industry where companies became too conservative and "make overs" where pretty much done for (don't make me count the amount of games where Morringan sprite or Sol sprite has been pasted). Prior to XII the game KoF was the epitome of..... let's say.... "keeping the characters coherent with the previous game.

When people where pretty much nominating KoF as a green peace representative SNK went out of it's way, and tried to re - inject life to the series once and for all. That's something that we haven't seen in a while and we won't see in a while; it gave the game a whole knew image (not only literally but direction wise as well).

Heck, if it wasn't for sega sammy thing; it' sure that Blaz blue would have been a guilty gear last name instead of a new game. It was a forced evolution, not a willing one

I'm frankly kind of frightened at the prospect of KOF being the vanguard of change, for many of the reasons mentioned here. Sure every year KOF gave us a different super gauge, but it also gave us things like 13 years of the same Iori sprite.

SF2 might be infamous for its endless slight variations, but back in the day, Capcom was at the forefront of endless and creative new fighting games. Here at mmcafe we have a tendency to discuss SF2, SF3, and Vampire somewhat excessively, but I remember a time when arguing whether Capcom or SNK made better fighting games could be done without mentioning KOF or SF at all. I remember the days when Samurai Shodown ruled, until Cyberbots came and stole my heart, whose dominion was then soon contested by Marvel Super Heroes. Actually, I remember mostly being a Capcom fan, with the main exception being Samurai Shodown.

What strikes me as kind of interesting is that fighting games lately have taken deliberate steps, sometimes backwards-facing ones, to ingratiate themselves with a new generation of fans. How many other types of games have had to do that? FPS and third-person shooting games have become continuously more feature-packed and complex from the days of Wolfenstein and Ultima Underworld. Among the various big hits, arguably Team Fortress 2 has shown some of the simplifying mentality (though it has also brought in a slew of thoughtful features), and sure, FPS games haven't always made steps that seemed to make it smarter (I always recall Looking Glass Studios and how long it took for other developers to catch up to the things that they did in terms of single player). But still, we definitely don't see a prevailing sentiment of "hey, we need to bring the Doom 1 crowd back with Doom 1 style gameplay and Doom 1 levels of feature simplicity".

Maou
1825th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter" , posted Sat 3 Oct 11:35:post reply

quote:
But still, we definitely don't see a prevailing sentiment of "hey, we need to bring the Doom 1 crowd back with Doom 1 style gameplay and Doom 1 levels of feature simplicity".

Spoon, I like your points. To bring this sorta back to SF III again: even if I don't like SF IV very much in terms of it not being hand-drawn and its over-familiar cast, the game surprised me in not seeming particularly simplified gameplay-wise, at least in comparison to anything other than the hyper-technical Third Strike. In between the dashes, half-surge dash moves, connecting supers from regulars, and so forth, it seemed like a surprisingly technical game for one that seemed to want to bring back the casual SF crowd with all the old characters. I do hate the lack of air-blocking, but that's about all that seemed simplified to me.

edit: And to bring it further back to SF III, I hereby present an amateur theory from a 3S-only player who's now heard two great 2I tunes: the second of three in a SF series always has the more groovy, mellow, funky tunes than the more noisy third installment, even if the third installment is 'better' in terms of gameplay. Which is to say, SFZero 2 also has the fun, peppy electronic or jazz pieces that are in pretty stark contrast with the (quite fun) bombast of SFZero 3's soundtrack.

double-edit: I hereby confirm my own 'theory' now that I've heard Ibuki's 2I tune, which is the spiritual successor to Sakura's theme in SFZero 2 (in terms of style, not melody), before both schoolgirls got peppier versions in their respective sequels.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 3 Oct 12:08]

Maese
531th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter" , posted Sat 3 Oct 13:18:post reply

I'm late to the party, so pretty much everyhing I wanted to say it's been already said. But since I have a penchant for monologues, here I go anyway.

I have a soft spot for 1st and, specially, 2nd Impact. The artwork, music, backgrounds, the general paraphernalia surrounding the game always struck me as way superior to the later 3rd Strike. I played them on Dreamcast way before I could get my hands on 3rd Strike, so maybe that's why they left a stronger impression in me. The stages are much livelier, the music is funkier, the in-game atrtwork is gorgeous... Those after-battle screenshots rocked my world, and brought back oh so many memories from the SFII days. Overall, I think 1st Impact was a bit more impressive (perhaps groundbreaking?) on the artsy side, while 2nd Impact had better music. 3rd Strike has some awesome tunes and backgrounds as well, but it pales in comparision with the previous two. Ryu's onsen stage was gorgeous, and Elena's two-stages-in-one gimmick was great too.

Gameplaywise, 1st Impact felt a bit rougher, but 2nd Impact was much smoother, almost on the same level as 3rd Strike. It added the great feature of boosting your special moves using your Super Art gauge, which I loved with a passion. It made macthes much faster and more thrilling. And, 2nd Impact also had Hugo on it, a character I've never played with but who I love to fight against, as the Final Fight whore I am.

So, overall, I like 2nd Impact the most in the whole series. Sure, 3rd Strike is great, has a lot of characters, car-punching bonus stages and whatnot, but 2nd Impact the true Street Fighter 3 for me.

I'm all for a remix version using 3rd Strike characters in 1st and 2nd Impact stages and musics, though.

[this message was edited by Maese on Sat 3 Oct 13:20]

Iron D
3306th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter" , posted Sat 3 Oct 17:38post reply

quote:

I'm frankly kind of frightened at the prospect of KOF being the vanguard of change, for many of the reasons mentioned here. Sure every year KOF gave us a different super gauge, but it also gave us things like 13 years of the same Iori sprite.

I can agree with this. Regardless of preference for each series or preference of 2d over 3d or whatever, I'd argue that SFIV is as much of a change for SF as KoFXII is for KoF.

Er.....

Tai-Pan
379th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter" , posted Sun 4 Oct 00:37post reply

quote:

So, overall, I like 2nd Impact the most in the whole series. Sure, 3rd Strike is great, has a lot of characters, car-punching bonus stages and whatnot, but 2nd Impact the true Street Fighter 3 for me.

You speak the truth and nothing but the truth.

Now...thank you Polly, you convinced me, I will spend $60 for KOFXII, for I can't resist.

Pollyanna
2778th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Let's talk about Street Fighter" , posted Sun 4 Oct 09:50post reply

Sorry to derail this with KOF XII talk.

quote:

Now...thank you Polly, you convinced me, I will spend $60 for KOFXII, for I can't resist.

I was pretty underwhelmed with the game (excluding the sprites) at first, but the more I've played it with friends, the more its grown on me. Even the characters that I thought were hopelessly gimped before have turned out to be extremely fun once I've spent some time with them.

I really just love KOF, though...so I'm going to be predisposed to like the game. Still, I'm surprised that I'm playing it more than 02 UM, which I thought would be a much bigger deal. In XII, I think I appreciate the more intuitive hitboxes, the relatively better balance and the excellent wakeup game. Also, even though it uses all old characters, once you stop focusing on what they're "missing", you find a lot of new ways to play them. I wish that all the characters had been as reworked as the Psycho Soldiers team, but most of them are more different than they first appear.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1218th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Let's talk about Street F" , posted Sun 4 Oct 11:08post reply

For those who are on the KOF XII fence, keep in mind that there's a demo on Japanese PSN. It's 1v1 only, Kyo and Terry, but you can play 2P local or against the computer.

For the record, it only cemented my decision not to buy it at full price. Wasn't crazy about that taste of the gameplay and I'm not at all happy about how they presented those beautiful sprites. That zoom is way too severe.

Pollyanna
2779th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Let's talk about Street F" , posted Sun 4 Oct 11:21post reply

quote:
That zoom is way too severe.

Liiiiike....SF3?

BAM!

Back on topic!

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1220th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Let's talk about Street F" , posted Sun 4 Oct 11:32:post reply

While I appreciate your valiant attempt to steer the thread back in the proper direction, I'm not sure that it applies outside of super combos in NG! At least, I'm not sure what you'd be getting at outside of that.

My reaction to KOF XII was "Wow, these sprites would be even nicer if I slid my chair back ten feet." This is atypical!

While it could be their resolution against the resolution of every other UI element is what's tripping me out, it's not like that hasn't happened in tons of other fighting games that came out in the last ten years. It is a hell of a lot more jarring in HD, but I think it's more that I felt crowded while playing the game. Claustrophobic-like! Trapped too close! It's almost like... you can't escape!

SHAZAM, BACK ON TOPIC

[this message was edited by Grave on Sun 4 Oct 11:39]

Pollyanna
2780th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Let's talk about Street F" , posted Sun 4 Oct 14:31post reply

quote:

My reaction to KOF XII was "Wow, these sprites would be even nicer if I slid my chair back ten feet." This is atypical!

While it could be their resolution against the resolution of every other UI element is what's tripping me out, it's not like that hasn't happened in tons of other fighting games that came out in the last ten years. It is a hell of a lot more jarring in HD, but I think it's more that I felt crowded while playing the game. Claustrophobic-like! Trapped too close! It's almost like... you can't escape!

SHAZAM, BACK ON TOPIC

At ease, loser, you're entitled to your opinion...unless your opinion is that KOFXII looks better with the filters on...in which case, I will never trust another word you say.

Speaking of resolution, all this talk is making me want to bust out 3rd Strike again, but I wonder if it would look better running it on the PS3, or running it on the PS2 through my HDBox thingie and playing at the windowed, native resolution. Or...or...would an emulator scale better? I can run an HDMI cable from my computer to the TV. Hmmm...retro gaming is so troublesome in the HD era.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

HAYATO
947th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Street Fighter III HD" , posted Wed 7 Oct 03:26post reply

quote:

Speaking of resolution, all this talk is making me want to bust out 3rd Strike again, but I wonder if it would look better running it on the PS3, or running it on the PS2 through my HDBox thingie and playing at the windowed, native resolution. Or...or...would an emulator scale better? I can run an HDMI cable from my computer to the TV. Hmmm...retro gaming is so troublesome in the HD era.

Final Burn Alpha is a great, not so demanding, arcade emulator loaded with filters that will allow you to play SFIII in an awesome fullHD, even on a low-end PC (such as my poor, 4 year old Pentium 4)... The first time I applied the filters I found myself on the verge of shedding tears of sheer joy!!!

In case you want to play it on TV, I'm afraid I can't help you though...

karasu99
224th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Street Fighter III HD" , posted Wed 7 Oct 04:11post reply

quote:

Final Burn Alpha is a great, not so demanding, arcade emulator loaded with filters that will allow you to play SFIII in an awesome fullHD, even on a low-end PC (such as my poor, 4 year old Pentium 4)... The first time I applied the filters I found myself on the verge of shedding tears of sheer joy!!!

In case you want to play it on TV, I'm afraid I can't help you though...

Wow, that was an alarming subject line-- I thought it was... well, you know, the impossible dream of Capcom un-forgetting SFIII.

On a related subject, I'm setting up my Dreamcast tonight for some Third Strike goodness.

Mozex
388th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Let's talk about Street F" , posted Wed 7 Oct 12:57post reply

quote:

The PC+emulator would almost certainly look the best.

I totally geeked out when I saw this display that can do pixel-perfect 720p and 1080p. It almost certainly can't accept a signal higher than 1080p, but it's crazy resolution allows 1:2 scaling for 1080 and 1:3 scaling for 720p content.

Be kind to goblins.

Iggy
8990th Post

"Re(2):nothing to see here" , posted Thu 8 Oct 00:47post reply

quote:
well, you know, the impossible dream of Capcom un-forgetting SFIII.

You mean, letting it getting butchered by Udon like they did to SSF2X?

karasu99
225th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):nothing to see here" , posted Thu 8 Oct 03:00post reply

quote:

Since you put it that way, I suppose it's best to just have our fond memories.

Note to Capcom: forget I ever said anything.

ONSLAUGHT
3867th Post

"Re(4):nothing to see here" , posted Thu 8 Oct 05:22post reply

quote:

Since you put it that way, I suppose it's best to just have our fond memories.

Note to Capcom: forget I ever said anything.

And since a butchered Udon remake won't erase the classic version, I say bring it on.

Hagen de Merak
1032th Post

"Re(5):nothing to see here" , posted Thu 8 Oct 08:06post reply

quote:

And since a butchered Udon remake won't erase the classic version, I say bring it on.

This reminds me of what a famous author said when they asked him "Did you see what Hollywood movies did to your books"? and he answered with "what do you mean? they're sitting right there on the book shelves of libraries, they haven't done a damn thing to them".

Ishmael
3588th Post

"Re(6):nothing to see here" , posted Fri 9 Oct 03:03post reply

Onsy is right, a remastered 3S wouldn't erase the original version so why not make it? It may turn out to be a garish mess but no one will know until they try. My biggest concern about that imaginary project is that 3S has a monsterous amount of animation. Until the animators feel comfortable tackling that large a project perhaps they should practice on a smaller game. Perhaps a HD remix of Section Z?