SSF4, now with added Dee Jay - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (6852 Views )

Ishmael
3579th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 04:26post reply

I decided to split SSF4 off from the TGS thread since it was starting to overpower any other topics in there.

I'm amazed to find myself looking forward to a game that's being promoted using T.Hawk and Dee Jay as selling points. Speaking of Dee Jay, here's a video featuring him in action.

Replies:

Tai-Pan
376th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 04:43post reply

quote:

I'm amazed to find myself looking forward to a game that's being promoted using T.Hawk and Dee Jay as selling points. Speaking of Dee Jay, here's a video featuring him in action.

I'm not sure they're promoting the game with those two characters. I think they will start revealing more characters little by little SNK style.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Just a Person
1313th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 05:17post reply

quote:

I'm not sure they're promoting the game with those two characters. I think they will start revealing more characters little by little SNK style.

Yes. And so far, Capcom is promoting the game with T.Hawk and JURI... Dee Jay just leaked before the expected.

Speaking of Dee Jay, I clicked in that link but there was no video in it... am I supposed to click somewhere into the webpage, or what?

Anyway, when do you people expect the other new characters to be revealed? One per month, maybe?

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Grave
1211th Post

"Re(3):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 05:22:post reply

quote:
Anyway, when do you people expect the other new characters to be revealed? One per month, maybe?

Not nearly soon enough for them to keep my interest!

[this message was edited by Grave on Wed 30 Sep 05:22]

Pollyanna
2767th Post

"Re(4):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 05:41post reply

quote:

Not nearly soon enough for them to keep my interest!

Hahaha! Yes!

But if the rumors are true, then at least it saves me the trouble of being disappointed. I must choose my favorite characters poorly, because extended cast announcements always leave me saying "Augh! No! Why!?" with every new addition. I think CvS2 was the worst.

To be fair, though...I don't think there are any SF characters outside of Karin I would be really excited about. If Cody is indeed in it, and he still looks like a dopey jailbird, that's not so bad, though. I would be excited about (possible) Makoto, but I have a feeling she's going to look hideous.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Count Hihihi
189th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 05:46post reply

quote:

Well, they did it with the first SFIV game too.

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

Grave
1211th Post

"Re(5):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 05:53post reply

Yeah, something tells me I won't be seeing Urien or Remy in this one. Too bad.

But really, if you're going to announce your "exciting" new expansion by unveiling the biggest pair of losers in SF history and some chick in a ridiculous getup... I don't even know how to begin ridiculing them, they've saved me the trouble! Even more pathetic is the fact that there are real people who're excited about this! I'd rather buy ten thousand Blazblue DLC colors from Aksys than pay a dime for this right now.

Words cannot describe how offended I am that the super meter still says "SUPER!" at the end of it. Out of all the fighting games that have received UI overhauls in updates, this one needs it the most and they haven't done a thing. Cute.

Just a Person
1314th Post

"Re(6):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 06:00post reply

quote:
Yeah, something tells me I won't be seeing Urien or Remy in this one. Too bad.

But really, if you're going to announce your "exciting" new expansion by unveiling the biggest pair of losers in SF history and some chick in a ridiculous getup...

Sorry, but you complain about Capcom choosing a pair of losers, yet you want Remy in the game?

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Pollyanna
2768th Post

"Re(6):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 06:23post reply

quote:
some chick in a ridiculous getup

She's crazy. Crazy girls are God-tier characters for me, so I'll take it. Her costume is indeed impossibly ugly, but I just think "well, she dressed herself."

Now, off to the mall to buy some ridiculous getups!

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

kofoguz
766th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 06:44post reply

quote:

Like I said in another forum Capcom shifting to a SNKish style lately.

Gojira
2548th Post

"Re(6):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 06:54post reply

So is this being hyped as a console release or an arcade one? I ask because if it's arcade I think they might pull a SFZ3Upper and hype 10 new characters when actually 7 of those were in the console version of SF4.

shipoopi

KTallguy
1157th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(7):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 09:15post reply

I really pray that the rumors of Ibuki being in this game are true. I really love her combos in 3S.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Grave
1212th Post

"Re(7):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 10:03post reply

quote:
Sorry, but you complain about Capcom choosing a pair of losers, yet you want Remy in the game?

You're dead to me.

quote:
She's crazy. Crazy girls are God-tier characters for me, so I'll take it. Her costume is indeed impossibly ugly, but I just think "well, she dressed herself."

To be fair, alongside T. Hawk and Deejay she doesn't look that shitty! Despite hating the clothing design, I like the colors and there's something oddly appealing about her back. (??) If she really does play like Kim I'll learn to love her in time regardless of any of that!

quote:
So is this being hyped as a console release or an arcade one?

No arcade release from what I heard.

Iron D
3296th Post

"Re(6):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 10:48post reply

quote:
Even more pathetic is the fact that there are real people who're excited about this! I'd rather buy ten thousand Blazblue DLC colors from Aksys than pay a dime for this right now.

Words cannot describe how offended I am that the super meter still says "SUPER!" at the end of it. Out of all the fighting games that have received UI overhauls in updates, this one needs it the most and they haven't done a thing. Cute.

Wow. Straight up OFFENDED. Not only that, but it's PATHETIC that people are looking forward to this.

I hope you're not joking, you seriously need to chill.

Er.....

Maou
1817th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(7):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 11:51:post reply

Funny thing about the much-forgotten-about Remy: in addition to being a total nonpresence and maybe a SNK-lookalike, Remy always struck me as not having very many frames of animation compared to the others. Maybe he had just as many, but his really low-key vibe for some reason meant that I imagined him to only have two frames of animation like those damned SaGa Frontier sprites that still give me nightmares.

...but maybe some people really like Remy! Let's hear it! Convince me that he should be in SSFIV? IronD convinced me to try 360's, so I'm sure this is a doable task!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 30 Sep 11:53]

Grave
1213th Post

"Re(7):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 12:39post reply

I'm a kidder, Iron D! I exaggerate! I make jokes! Most of them aren't funny but I do it anyway! Don't you know me by now? Have our years together meant nothing...?

quote:
Funny thing about the much-forgotten-about Remy: in addition to being a total nonpresence and maybe a SNK-lookalike, Remy always struck me as not having very many frames of animation compared to the others. Maybe he had just as many, but his really low-key vibe for some reason meant that I imagined him to only have two frames of animation like those damned SaGa Frontier sprites that still give me nightmares.

...but maybe some people really like Remy! Let's hear it! Convince me that he should be in SSFIV? IronD convinced me to try 360's, so I'm sure this is a doable task!

Well, I love Ash Crimson, and since Remy was Ash before Ash, I kinda have to love him too. He's also like Guile if you stripped away all of his body mass and personality and replaced them with some more moves, so there's that as well!

shin ramberk
358th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(8):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 14:47post reply

quote:

I love to use Remy in 3S. He may not have had as many frames of animation as some of the other more complex characters in SF3 (like Elena or Ibuki) but he did not have choppy animation.

And Remy was an infinitely more interesting character then Guile IMO. Here are a few reasons why...

- He could start air juggles in a variety of situations (off of a throw, ground launcher, air HP, EX special)
- He has two interesting overheads, one of which can link into a super
- He could start a high and low fireball pattern with the right timing
- He can apply a fun and interesting ground pressure game WITHOUT CvS2 style rolls and dashes

Guile's play style became a lot more interesting once he got rolls and dashes in CvS2 but I still prefer Remy's 3S play style.

Unfortunately I just don't think Remy will ever get into SF4 or SF5. He's too similar to Guile and not popular enough. The reason you hardly see serious Remy players is because he's too disadvantaged in 3S. He has limited combo/damage potential and takes too much damage IMO. He has good/decent priority off of his normals but unfortunately Chun Li and Makoto have much better priority and damage potential.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Gojira
2549th Post

"Re(9):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 17:04post reply

I often forget Remy even exists in 3s. Honestly, he doesn't make much of an impression.

shipoopi

Iron D
3297th Post

"Re(8):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 17:30post reply

quote:
I'm a kidder, Iron D! I exaggerate! I make jokes! Most of them aren't funny but I do it anyway! Don't you know me by now? Have our years together meant nothing...?

Ugh. My brain hasn't been working right today. You're right, you've always been a kidder. Sorry for the outburst.

quote:
I often forget Remy even exists in 3s. Honestly, he doesn't make much of an impression.

My thoughts on the character exactly, although I would say he is fun to play as. I always thought that a Guile-esque gameplay style would just not work well in a game with a system like SFIII has. Even someone who is just decent with parries would be able to nullify a typical Guile-style approach.

Er.....

Time Mage
2772th Post

"Re(9):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 19:29post reply

Heh, here's other Remy fan. I've always liked Guile, but I think Remy is a very interesting evolution of the concept. I mostly use him and Elena in TS, and I love his style.

The fact that he is lowish tier sure substracts him popularity points, but not only I don't care about that, it doesn't really affect most players, unless the are at a high-competition skill level.

Also:

Best Remy match I've seen.

quote:
I love to use Remy in 3S. He may not have had as many frames of animation as some of the other more complex characters in SF3 (like Elena or Ibuki) but he did not have choppy animation.

And Remy was an infinitely more interesting character then Guile IMO. Here are a few reasons why...

- He could start air juggles in a variety of situations (off of a throw, ground launcher, air HP, EX special)
- He has two interesting overheads, one of which can link into a super
- He could start a high and low fireball pattern with the right timing
- He can apply a fun and interesting ground pressure game WITHOUT CvS2 style rolls and dashes

Guile's play style became a lot more interesting once he got rolls and dashes in CvS2 but I still prefer Remy's 3S play style.

Unfortunately I just don't think Remy will ever get into SF4 or SF5. He's too similar to Guile and not popular enough. The reason you hardly see serious Remy players is because he's too disadvantaged in 3S. He has limited combo/damage potential and takes too much damage IMO. He has good/decent priority off of his normals but unfortunately Chun Li and Makoto have much better priority and damage potential.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

badoor
85th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 20:53post reply

I also vote for Remy to be in SSF4, even if his chances of being in it are low due to him being an unpopular character in the least popular sequel who plays similarly to an already available character.
Then again, charle/nash and guile appeared in several games together. And remy is a much different character compared to charlie/nash.

Ishmael
3580th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 22:35post reply

quote:
Speaking of Dee Jay, I clicked in that link but there was no video in it... am I supposed to click somewhere into the webpage, or what?

If that link is giving you trouble here's a YouTube clip featuring the video.

quote:
But if the rumors are true, then at least it saves me the trouble of being disappointed. I must choose my favorite characters poorly, because extended cast announcements always leave me saying "Augh! No! Why!?" with every new addition. I think CvS2 was the worst.

There were 48 characters in CvS2 and none of them tripped your trigger? Fighting games must be a difficult hobby for you.

quote:

The one thing I remember about Remy is that you have to choose a color for him that makes him look as much like Ozzy Osbourne during his skinny, greasy-haired Black Sabbath days as possible. This is the same philosophy that requires that Urien can only be played with colors that makes his body resemble toothpaste. I'm not much of a Remy fan but I would support his inclusion in SSF4 if his alt.costume was that lovely kimono that Ozzy was sporting on the Sabotage album cover.

Speaking of the SSF4 roster, I've thought about it for awhile and I've decided I like Juri. There has been a real dearth of bad girls in SF so the addition of a psycho chick like her is a welcome addition to the cast. It's a good thing that SF4 has the most advanced tongue animation in games since it allows Juri to lick her lips in an appropriately evil manner. I particularly like that Juri's intro art juxtaposes her with a butterfly -a symbol often associated with female anime and fighting game characters- and has her kick it to death.

Not only does Juri have a winning personality but her look is winning me over as well. I like the black licorice color scheme of her outfit. I also quite like the lousy job that spider blouse of hers would do in holding her breasts in place. How cosplayers are going to make that top work in reality is something that is beyond me.

Here's to hoping that Juri is fun to play because she's already halfway there in my book.

Just a Person
1317th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 22:42:post reply

quote:

If that link is giving you trouble here's a YouTube clip featuring the video.

Thank you!

Cool video, Dee Jay seems to be an interesting fighter this time (although I still don't plan to select him in the game). I guess this is the video that Shizowa announced for tomorrow... which means we'll probably get no real news tomorrow.

Not that I'm complaining; we already got quite a lot of news this week. Now I guess it will take Capcom some weeks before revealing the next returning/brand-new character... I hope that until then, we can at least see some of the SFIV characters' new moves, Supers and Ultras.

---

EDIT:

quote:
Not only does Juri have a winning personality but her look is winning me over as well. I like the black licorice color scheme of her outfit. I also quite like the lousy job that spider blouse of hers would do in holding her breasts in place. How cosplayers are going to make that top work in reality is something that is beyond me.

Guess what? The game isn't even out yet, and we can already see a Juri cosplayer!!

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Wed 30 Sep 22:56]

Maou
1817th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Wed 30 Sep 23:26post reply

quote:
The one thing I remember about Remy is that you have to choose a color for him that makes him look as much like Ozzy Osbourne during his skinny, greasy-haired Black Sabbath days as possible. This is the same philosophy that requires that Urien can only be played with colors that makes his body resemble toothpaste. I'm not much of a Remy fan but I would support his inclusion in SSF4 if his alt.costume was that lovely kimono that Ozzy was sporting on the Sabotage album cover.

Heheh, you've completely convinced me to play as Remy now. This take on Urien is a much more advanced take on our rule that Ken should be stuck in the purple-pink outfit in Zero3 at all times.

Iggy
8975th Post

"Re(8):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 00:07post reply

quote:
Remy always struck me as not having very many frames of animation compared to the others.
If I recall correctly, Remy was considered at an early stage, then not implemented, then finally added back again because Chunli drawing was so time consuming that the rest of the dotters didn't have anything else to do in the meantime. So he has less frames of animation than Ibuki or Chunli, but he was that close to not existing at all that it would be mean to pick on him.

quote:
Guile if you stripped away all of his body mass and personality
Wait... Guile has personality?

As for Remy, I don't really care for him, but I like him better than Guile or Nash for what it's worth.
The big question is: between a low-tier in 3rd (Remy) and a supreme low-tier in Zero3 (R.Mika), which one has the biggest chances to appear in a modern game?
Probably neither.

Grave
1214th Post

"Re(9):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 03:53post reply

quote:
Wait... Guile has personality?

Guile's personality consists of "being American." We all act like that, you know.

Iggy
8978th Post

"Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 04:10post reply

quote:
Guile's personality consists of "being American." We all act like that, you know.

Unfortunately, I learnt that recently.
We recently had a long discussion with some co-workers about whether our American supervisors were buffoons like all Americans, or if they were buffoons even by American standards.

Damn it, that should go to the OTHER thread!
I keep messing up today.

Freeter
4472th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 07:41post reply

I will wait until they announce 3D Dudley, then sit back with some popcorn and watch the Shoryuken forums go ballistic.

Sadly, that might be more entertaining than the actual game...

Pollyanna
2769th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 09:23post reply

I was excited about Remy when I first played 3rd Strike. I thought the idea of a charge character with a non-charge command that propelled him forward was a good idea. But he's just not that exciting...not necessarily in terms of design...but in terms of play style to hold interest as long as some of the other characters. At least to me...

quote:

There were 48 characters in CvS2 and none of them tripped your trigger? Fighting games must be a difficult hobby for you.

I imagine you're just being clever, but I'll go ahead and respond to this all the same.

My favorite SNK characters in CvS2 were Vice and Rock, which only rank in the upper middle of my huge list of overall favorite SNK characters. I don't like anyone from SF2 except Chun Li, who I only like half of the time. I like quite a few SF3 characters, but Yun is still "the less beloved brother" to me. I love the Vampire games, but gimped Morrigan does not deliver. And so on and so on...

In another game with a large cast: KOF 02 UM, I have 10 characters I'm totally thrilled to use any time and about 20 others I'm happy to sub in. KOFXI is in the same ballpark.

There certainly are a huge number of characters I like, they just don't tend to show up as often as others. I guess I can be picky sometimes, though...I won't use Kyo if he's wearing a school uniform, for example.

But you know, if the local arcades are any indication, the only characters in CvS2 are Blanka, Vega and Sagat.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Spoon
1816th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 10:50post reply

quote:

But you know, if the local arcades are any indication, the only characters in CvS2 are Blanka, Vega and Sagat.

Even though CvS2 has by far the most entertaining version of Rolento? Or a Guile that is actually capable of and rewarded for mounting a solid offense?

Iron D
3298th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 13:02post reply

quote:
I guess I can be picky sometimes, though...I won't use Kyo if he's wearing a school uniform, for example.

So whether or not you play as a character is based on their look rather than how they play? No offense intended here, but Ishmael was right: fighting games must be a difficult hobby for you.

Er.....

Hagen de Merak
1026th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 13:23post reply

quote:

plus shotos.

ONSLAUGHT
3863th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 14:16post reply

quote:
I guess I can be picky sometimes, though...I won't use Kyo if he's wearing a school uniform, for example.

So whether or not you play as a character is based on their look rather than how they play? No offense intended here, but Ishmael was right: fighting games must be a difficult hobby for you.

While I find myself disagreeing with Pollyana most of the time, I think it's unfair to judge her taste in characters or the method she uses for picking them. I always feel attracted to freakish or big, ugly, brutish characters. I feel zero interest in playing women or normal looking chars at first. My first pick in SF II? Dhalsim. Darkstalkers? Anakaris. SF III? Necro. Third Strike? Q. You get the idea. That's why I'm not a big KoF fan, because they might dress like retards, but they're still human beings, boring human beings... and don't get me wrong, they may be tons of fun to play, but my first choices are always strange/ugly/big brutish characters, then the rest.

Pollyanna
2772th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 16:41post reply

Sorry if this sounds argumentative or anything, I'm really just using this as a stepping stone to talk about choosing characters. I'm neither offended nor trying to offend.

quote:

Onslaught was already kind enough to back me up, but I do think that's a bit of an overgeneralization. It's like me saying "You only pick the same kind of characters all the time? Fighting games must be a boring hobby for you."

I probably painted myself as pretty picky, though...choosing a character based on HIS JACKET, but I also said I could happily choose 30 different characters in KOF02 UM, so obviously I'm not THAT picky...just picky about certain things.

Of course, I'm going to try the characters that I think look the coolest first, but there's a spectrum for both design and playstyle. Take SF3 for example...Alex, despite being neither fast nor pretty is one of my favorite characters, but Hugo is too slow and too ugly. If he was faster, he'd still be too ugly, and if he was pretty, he'd still be too slow.

On a sidenote, my favorite SF3 character is Necro, who isn't so much ugly as just weird-looking to me.

Pickiness can be a limiter sometimes, though. I always say that Mortal Kombat is the hardest game I've ever played because I can't make it past the character select screen.

I've wanted to start a topic about fighting game favorites, since I'm sure that's something everyone has an opinion on, but I have so many to talk about that I haven't found the time.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
625th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 18:23:post reply

quote:

This is how I pick my characters too. I don't enjoy playing as characters I can't relate to. It'd be like listening to a song for its technical excellence rather than your honest gut reaction to it.

Gameplay is king for sure, but this doesn't mean that visuals are shallow.

Even chess players prefer to play on a beautiful board.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 1 Oct 18:29]

Professor
2567th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 18:41post reply

There's no wrong way to pick a character!

I usually pick them in a green costume, for example.

There's so many Bridget users in Japan because he's a he-she. And nooone complains.

Iggy
8981th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 19:30post reply

quote:

I pick my characters according to the story they tell me, by their looks, their voice and their animation. Which is why I love everyone in 3rd strike: their animations talk for them, their animations are all the background you need to know about them. Their animations are the whole narrative of the game.

Shermie Mature and Vice are pretty, fun, but also have stances and voices that reflect who they are. I always liked Chin for the same reason, and even more in KOF12 where his animations are absolutely gorgeous, even though he lacks 75% of his moves.

Anakaris's immobility speaks wonders, and is nothing like Victor's stiffness, which tells a story of its own. Lilith's constant giggling makes her feel alive. All in all, I never really liked Morrigan because there was nothing in her animations or general atmosphere that screamed "succubus" to me.

My biggest grip against SF4 is that most of the characterisation sounds boring and/or off. The only things that caught my eye was Dahlsim's dash, and his Yoga Tower.
The characters look dull, and worse, act dull.
Which is why I'm a bit more interested than usual in SSF4: at least T Hawk's and Juli's ultra have some tiny flavour stuff in them.

Iron D
3299th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 22:24post reply

quote:
I always feel attracted to freakish or big, ugly, brutish characters. I feel zero interest in playing women or normal looking chars at first. My first pick in SF II? Dhalsim. Darkstalkers? Anakaris. SF III? Necro. Third Strike? Q. You get the idea. That's why I'm not a big KoF fan, because they might dress like retards, but they're still human beings, boring human beings... and don't get me wrong, they may be tons of fun to play, but my first choices are always strange/ugly/big brutish characters, then the rest.

quote:
I pick my characters according to the story they tell me, by their looks, their voice and their animation. Which is why I love everyone in 3rd strike: their animations talk for them, their animations are all the background you need to know about them. Their animations are the whole narrative of the game.

Shermie Mature and Vice are pretty, fun, but also have stances and voices that reflect who they are. I always liked Chin for the same reason, and even more in KOF12 where his animations are absolutely gorgeous, even though he lacks 75% of his moves.

Anakaris's immobility speaks wonders, and is nothing like Victor's stiffness, which tells a story of its own. Lilith's constant giggling makes her feel alive. All in all, I never really liked Morrigan because there was nothing in her animations or general atmosphere that screamed "succubus" to me.

My biggest grip against SF4 is that most of the characterisation sounds boring and/or off. The only things that caught my eye was Dahlsim's dash, and his Yoga Tower.
The characters look dull, and worse, act dull.
Which is why I'm a bit more interested than usual in SSF4: at least T Hawk's and Juli's ultra have some tiny flavour stuff in them.

quote:
Onslaught was already kind enough to back me up, but I do think that's a bit of an overgeneralization. It's like me saying "You only pick the same kind of characters all the time? Fighting games must be a boring hobby for you."

I probably painted myself as pretty picky, though...choosing a character based on HIS JACKET, but I also said I could happily choose 30 different characters in KOF02 UM, so obviously I'm not THAT picky...just picky about certain things.

Of course, I'm going to try the characters that I think look the coolest first, but there's a spectrum for both design and playstyle. Take SF3 for example...Alex, despite being neither fast nor pretty is one of my favorite characters, but Hugo is too slow and too ugly. If he was faster, he'd still be too ugly, and if he was pretty, he'd still be too slow.

On a sidenote, my favorite SF3 character is Necro, who isn't so much ugly as just weird-looking to me.

I can understand aesthetics affecting who you pick first.

Okay, so replying to all of these, I can totally understand aesthetics playing a role in what character you pick first, or even play most often. But does this mean that you will NEVER play any other character besides the ones that you like to look at?

I mean, what if a character is to you both the ugliest, lamest design ever graphically but the absolute funnest to use gameplay wise? Would you be completely unable to use this character?

Do you guys have more fun watching fighting games than playing them?

quote:
This is how I pick my characters too. I don't enjoy playing as characters I can't relate to.

This little snippet here is making me curious as well. How relatable can a character in a fighting game be? Fighting games are full of characters throwing fireballs, teleporting, tossing around people multiple times their size.

Again, this isn't me being argumentative. This is me being legitimately curious. Maybe there is something I'm not seeing here.

quote:
Even chess players prefer to play on a beautiful board.

Yes, but I'm sure the quality of the game is more important than the look of the board the game is played on.

Er.....

kofoguz
768th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(7):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 23:21post reply

Well to me even some moves turns me off/on. For example I'm not fan of charge moves (b f+p or k). I wasnt able to play the kind for long while but I can now. Because of her bf+k move, I dont like to pick Blue Mary. Eventhough she has circle moves. So only one move can affect my choice/preferance.

I generally choose random/question mark but I naturally stick some characters cause they feel allright. But that's not permanent. For example. I love xiangfei but I dont like 01 Xiang Fei. I love 99 03 Jhun. But I didnt wanna choose him in '00.

The versions I dont like, could be very well superior. I cant know sure by myself but like I said one move or change of speed or something similar could turn me off instantly and I wouldnt even know why exactly.

Iggy
8983th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 1 Oct 23:31post reply

quote:
Okay, so replying to all of these, I can totally understand aesthetics playing a role in what character you pick first, or even play most often. But does this mean that you will NEVER play any other character besides the ones that you like to look at?

I don't know... I have a lot of trouble playing Arcana Heart or Blazblue. The game systems do seem interesting, but, as Polly said for MK, it is very difficult to go past the selection screen.
I barely played Sean in 3rd, and never Momoko in KOFXI. So I think the answer is "probably".
On the other hand, I used everyone in TvC. I don't know if it means I like everyone in TvC.

Ishmael
3582th Post

"Re(9):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Fri 2 Oct 01:56post reply

First off, let me apologize to Polly and the board in general. I was just being a smart-ass, I certainly didn't mean to start up this whole kerfuffle. That said, I am amazed to find people have put this much thought into their process of picking characters. As far as I can tell there's no ryhme or reason as to why I end up liking a character. There may be certain play styles or character types that I prefer but in the end it's some unknown little thing that strikes my fancy about a character that makes me play them. It's a bit like falling in love with someone who doesn't love you back.

quote:
The big question is: between a low-tier in 3rd (Remy) and a supreme low-tier in Zero3 (R.Mika), which one has the biggest chances to appear in a modern game?
Probably neither.

I assume that R.Mika and Remy are in the same hole that Capcom buried Ingrid in. Then again, if Dee Jay and T.Hawk can keep sneaking back into games anything is possible.

Speaking of which, the SSF4 page has been updated with Dee Jay.

karasu99
222th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Fri 2 Oct 02:19post reply

quote:

What a weird textural treatment they've given the new character art-- still kindof brushstroke-y, but... Dee Jay is made of wood! Actually, they Juri and T Hawk have the same 'treatment'-- I just hadn't noticed until I saw Dee Jay.

It's funny, I always seem to have in the back of my mind the thought that this time, Capcom will really surprise me with who they include-- and the list is always a few different characters, like Haggar, and Geki, and Ibuki that I think a lot of people also wish they could see again. And then they pull back the curtain, and it's E. Honda and Blanka. Again. I guess for the obscure guys I'll need to play Tatsunoko vs Capcom, eh?

Spoon
1819th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Fri 2 Oct 03:30post reply

quote:

What a weird textural treatment they've given the new character art-- still kindof brushstroke-y, but... Dee Jay is made of wood! Actually, they Juri and T Hawk have the same 'treatment'-- I just hadn't noticed until I saw Dee Jay.

The hatching they've run on the Dee Jay picture looks stupid, unless there's some connection with Jamaica and wood that I just don't know about that is somehow highly relevant to it.

One thing I really dislike about Juri is that the straps of her top don't look like they're modelled; they appear to just be textured on. It looks cheap, and not in a good way.

KTallguy
1159th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Fri 2 Oct 09:49post reply

quote:
One thing I really dislike about Juri is that the straps of her top don't look like they're modelled; they appear to just be textured on. It looks cheap, and not in a good way.

Well, at least this means that whenever the inevitable PC version is released, people can make nude patches with a swiftness.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Iron D
3301th Post

"Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Fri 2 Oct 10:33post reply

quote:

Can anyone translate the storyline bits next to the character's portraits?

Er.....

Oroch
1081th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Fri 2 Oct 10:57:post reply

quote:

While I find myself disagreeing with Pollyana most of the time, I think it's unfair to judge her taste in characters or the method she uses for picking them. I always feel attracted to freakish or big, ugly, brutish characters. I feel zero interest in playing women or normal looking chars at first. My first pick in SF II? Dhalsim. Darkstalkers? Anakaris. SF III? Necro. Third Strike? Q. You get the idea. That's why I'm not a big KoF fan, because they might dress like retards, but they're still human beings, boring human beings... and don't get me wrong, they may be tons of fun to play, but my first choices are always strange/ugly/big brutish characters, then the rest.

YAMAZAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!

[this message was edited by Oroch on Fri 2 Oct 10:58]

whitesword
1653th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Fri 2 Oct 14:51post reply

Juri used to like big boobs, but not anymore. Now she has big boobs herself instead.

She is officially dead to me.

Pollyanna
2773th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Fri 2 Oct 19:03post reply

quote:
I mean, what if a character is to you both the ugliest, lamest design ever graphically but the absolute funnest to use gameplay wise? Would you be completely unable to use this character?

That's a tough one. I've used characters that I don't especially like before...in terms of personality or image or whatever, but if it was the ABSOLUTE lamest, then I would probably hold too much contempt for that character to have any fun using them. But this is like, absolutely, offensively lame. So lame that I might not be motivated to try them and find out how fun they are in the first place.

The rest of the answer ties into this question...

quote:
This little snippet here is making me curious as well. How relatable can a character in a fighting game be? Fighting games are full of characters throwing fireballs, teleporting, tossing around people multiple times their size.

Every video game is full of characters doing ridiculous things, but they still have stories, they still have personalities, they still have an "image" and a "concept" regardless of if the game is full of cinemas or not.

Iggy said this so eloquently that I couldn't do better than to quote him:

quote:

Just how a characters animations can tell a story, they can also create a feeling...and idea or concept that can strike a chord with you...that you can relate to on some level, however abstract. So even if it's tiny and vague, I think the characters that you choose say something about who you are. I do feel, however small, that there is a piece of me in at least most of the characters I use. (so I have to be careful not to represent myself with really lame ones, right? Hahaha...)

I don't know if this concept applies to players who play to win so much as players who play for the love of the game, though.

(rambling)

I guess there are shallow things too, though...like "I paint my nails just like Ash!" or "Gum is my favorite food, just like Ralf", or "Bridget has my haircut!" I remember the first time I played Soul Calibur 2, I didn't know who to choose, so I went with Cassandra because we had the same hair.

I don't think I would get very far if I just chose characters that looked like me, though. They aren't very numerous and it's not much of a priority to begin with.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
3584th Post

"Re(2):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Sat 3 Oct 00:05post reply

quote:
Juri used to like big boobs, but not anymore. Now she has big boobs herself instead.

She is officially dead to me.

Juri's stuffing her shirt!

Depending on which language you prefer, here's some Famitsu and IGN stuff on the game.

Iron D
3304th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Sat 3 Oct 01:13post reply

quote:
Pollyanna snip

I see, and that does make sense. Still think it's extreme that some games just won't be playable based on these standards, but to each their own.

Er.....

Iggy
8987th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Sat 3 Oct 01:29post reply

quote:
I see, and that does make sense. Still think it's extreme that some games just won't be playable based on these standards, but to each their own.

Think about it that way: can you understand people who'll never touch Arcana Heart, even though the system is really interesting, because of the horrible animu atmosphere?
Well, it's almost the same.

y2k
20th Post

New Customer

"Ultra I and II?" , posted Sat 3 Oct 08:40post reply

maybe i missed the discussion but did anyone else notice the roman numerals above the ultra bars in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JBLYxnKuvs&feature=channel_page

Just a Person
1317th Post

"Re(1):Ultra I and II? + News" , posted Sat 3 Oct 11:03post reply

quote:
maybe i missed the discussion but did anyone else notice the roman numerals above the ultra bars in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JBLYxnKuvs&feature=channel_page

Yes, we did. But I still have no idea of why this was implemented in the ultra bars (maybe now the player can store two levels of the bar to be able to use two Ultra Combos or something like that...).

Anyway, Ono told some details of the game to IGN. The ones I thought are the most interesting:

- Ono said he is "looking to add around 8-ish characters" - in other words, maybe there will be less additional characters, maybe there will be more...

- the online features are being "beefed up"

- the characters from SFIV will probably get updates (new normal moves, new specials, etc.)

- Juri is an evil bitch with an artificial eye (how can anyone not like her??)

- openings and endings for all characters will be redone with better animation (notice he doesn't say the characters are getting NEW openings and endings... does that mean that SSFIV overwrites SFIV's story? Or could it take place after SFIV?)

- he would like to work in a new DarkStalkers game (not exactly news, is it?)

- the theme song will be a new one instead of the one made by EXILE (I actually liked that EXILE's song, but since most players hated it, that's probably a good thing)

- the game will not cost US$ 75, although it won't cost US$ 5 either

- the game will have new stages, plus the returning stages will have differences

- Seth is still the final boss, and now he's even harder than he is in SFIV, but still beatable

- all characters are already available at the beginning of the game, no unlockable characters (even Gouken, Akuma and Seth, though??)

- no World Tour mode

- MAYBE bonus stages will come back. MAYBE. MAYBE NOT.

Maese
531th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Sat 3 Oct 13:42post reply

quote:
Pollyanna snip

I find this whole "reasons for choosing a character" offtopic highly interesting.

I'd like to ask IronD what are his motivations when choosing a character. Specially when approaching the game for the first time. If you don't judge by looks at first sight, then what? You somehow have to choose anyway. Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to argue; I'm just curious. That's all.

I, for once, chose Taki the first time I played Soul Edge (and she remains my favourite fighting game character ever), Hanzou in Samurai Spirits and Ibuki in SF3 just because I tend to like ninja types. Specially female ninja ones. Then again, as fun (and effective) as Voldo's style is, I don't like his freakish look at all, so I sheldom choose him.

I have little problem admitting I choose my fighting characters mainly based on their looks, understading "look" in a broader sense, as Iggy put it earlier. Companies put so much effort designing characters and giving them a background story for a reason. Or at least they should put a lot of effort into it! If a character has not enough personality or looks (well, feels) dull, no matter how fun to play he/she might be, I will rarely give him/her an opportunity. I don't feel like playing characters I don't like. I even go to the extent of not playing certain characters just because I don't like their personalities or their roles in the game's storyline. It may sound stupid, but actually those traits have an impact on how the character performs on screen in one way or another.

For example, if I can't stand Kensou's winning quotes, there's no way I'm going to select him on my team. I loathe Kyo and Iori's voices, so they're never on my team. The other way around, I always liked to play with Kazuya on Tekken even tough I am not very fond of his fighting style; only because I enjoy his background story so much. Same goes for the other Mishimas.

Storyline and character profiles are almost as important as gameplay itself for me. That's why I love(d) so much Namco's fighters.

Iron D
3307th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Sat 3 Oct 17:56post reply

quote:

I find this whole "reasons for choosing a character" offtopic highly interesting.

I'd like to ask IronD what are his motivations when choosing a character. Specially when approaching the game for the first time. If you don't judge by looks at first sight, then what? You somehow have to choose anyway. Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to argue; I'm just curious. That's all.

Well, I did mention in one of my previous posts in this thread that I can understand the look of a character playing a role in what character you pick the first time you play a fighting game, or even affecting what character you pick most often.

What I don't understand is letting the look of a character stop you from playing as that character ever. If I'm playing a fighting game, I'm going to HAVE to at least beat the game with every character. Otherwise, it wouldn't feel complete.

As for how I choose my characters the first time I play a game, I'll answer that in the thread created for this conversation.

Er.....

nobinobita
626th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):SSF4, now with added Dee Jay" , posted Thu 8 Oct 08:29post reply

quote:

(^________^)

I've spent the last half hour going through the board and nodding "yes, yes" at everything you've posted. From the concept of animation+gameplay can = narrative, to the importance of sound effects (have you noticed alot of current games are missing sound effects? For instance in Arkham Assylum there's no sound indicating that you hit someone with your Batarang!) I've enjoyed every insightful post. I wish I could clone you and insert you into every major game related media outlet. Thank you for re-affirming all my beliefs and prejudices in games!

Iggy
9001th Post

"Release date?" , posted Tue 20 Oct 19:30post reply

For what it's worth

Ishmael
3602th Post

"Re(1):Release date?" , posted Wed 21 Oct 04:16post reply

A blog update in which T.Hawk and Dee Jay get their moment in the sun.

Just a Person
1322th Post

"The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Wed 4 Nov 21:42post reply

Now this is a complete Street Fighter game!!

Tai-Pan
398th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Wed 4 Nov 22:02post reply

quote:

Very nice and all but they could have designed different bonus stages...

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Ishmael
3611th Post

"Re(1):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Wed 4 Nov 22:42post reply

quote:

Heh, I like the reference to Final Fight in the car stage. Hopefully Capcom will also include a pre-fight screen for the bonus games since the chance to see a battle declaration such as "Chun-Li vs SUV" was easily the funniest thing in 3S.

Toxico
4799th Post

"Re(2):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Wed 4 Nov 23:05:post reply

quote:

Designed something new? You are missing the whole concept behind the game, it seems.

Oh, my car!

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Txt currently off line.

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 10 as of 23/11/09

[this message was edited by Toxico on Wed 4 Nov 23:05]

Maese
541th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Wed 4 Nov 23:25post reply

quote:

Oh, my car!

Hell yeah! This just made my day. This SFIV'5 is shaping up pretty nice so far. Here's hoping for an actually exciting game, at last.

Tai-Pan
399th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Thu 5 Nov 00:56post reply

quote:

Designed something new? You are missing the whole concept behind the game, it seems.

Oh, my car!

No I'm not missing THAT point..but c'mon C'MON!!

karasu99
236th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Thu 5 Nov 05:08post reply

quote:

Oh, my car!

Okay, after that joke, my bad day is officially OVER.

Plus now my outlook for SSFIV has gone from NEGATIVE to PROMISING SIGNS.

Ishmael
3612th Post

"Re(5):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Thu 5 Nov 05:25post reply

Now that I look at that scan again are those the same barrels as the ones being used at the Shadaloo distillery? No wonder they have to be destroyed, those are evil barrels.

Iron D
3327th Post

"Re(6):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Thu 5 Nov 06:54post reply

quote:
Now that I look at that scan again are those the same barrels as the ones being used at the Shadaloo distillery? No wonder they have to be destroyed, those are evil barrels.

It also looks like there is an update on the online play up in the top right corner. I see a "channel select" and what looks like room selection.

Great googaly moogaly!

Some new bonus stages would be nice, but having the classic bonus stages is better than not having them at all. Hopefully they're two player as well.

Er.....

karasu99
237th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(7):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Thu 5 Nov 07:33post reply

quote:
Some new bonus stages would be nice, but having the classic bonus stages is better than not having them at all. Hopefully they're two player as well.

I rank bonus stages like this right up there with things I barely noticed were missing from fighting games for all those years like post-fight 'injured' portraits but that once I realized they were missing, I felt a feeling of loss about.

Any word from anywhere about the other new characters?

Grave
1245th Post

"Re(8):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Thu 5 Nov 07:51post reply

Nothing yet! Which is a problem. They could add all the bonus stages and online features in the world but if the cast is still as boring as shit there's really nothing of interest for me here.

Maou
1850th Post

"Re(6):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Thu 5 Nov 13:05:post reply

quote:

Heheheh, it had bothered me for years that a upstanding young man like Ryu would be ruining people's cars all the time. Now it is okay.

But dude, where's my car?

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 5 Nov 17:33]

Iron D
3328th Post

"Re(9):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Thu 5 Nov 16:56post reply

quote:
Nothing yet! Which is a problem. They could add all the bonus stages and online features in the world but if the cast is still as boring as shit there's really nothing of interest for me here.

If you didn't like SFIV to begin with, then you're probably wasting your time if you think SSFIV will change your mind.

Er.....

Gojira
2561th Post

"Re(8):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Thu 5 Nov 17:09post reply

quote:

There was a rumor floating around that one of the other new characters (Hakan?) made an appearance in a nico live stream, though I can find nothing on nico which would prove this.

shipoopi

Maese
542th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Thu 5 Nov 21:02post reply

quote:
Heheheh, it had bothered me for years that a upstanding young man like Ryu would be ruining people's cars all the time. Now it is okay.

But dude, where's my car?

More importantly, where is your god?

Just a Person
1323th Post

"Re(9):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Thu 5 Nov 22:02post reply

quote:

There was a rumor floating around that one of the other new characters (Hakan?) made an appearance in a nico live stream, though I can find nothing on nico which would prove this.

Seth Killian said that more characters (plural, not singular) will be revealed before Christmas. Of course, that doesn't help a lot, since it could be any day before December 25th... But I guess at least one new or returning character will be presented this month.

As for the supposed other brand-new character, I guess his appearance in the nico live stream is just a rumor. Sure, he will probably be named Hakan, as the same person who posted the rumor about him posted that there would be a new evil female character named Juri, months before the info about Juri was even leaked; and as "Hakan" is a Turkish name and the rumor said he was "obsessed with oil", many people assume his fighting style is the famous Turkish oil wrestling. But I don't think Capcom itself has footage of him already for it to be leaked...

Count Hihihi
206th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(10):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Fri 6 Nov 04:09post reply

I am 99.99% sure that the brand new character is going to make SSIFV the best game ever.

Tai-Pan
400th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Fri 6 Nov 04:27post reply

quote:
I am 99.99% sure that the brand new character is going to make SSIFV the best game ever.

I'm pretty satisfied with SFIV. I had given up on new fighting games anyway. But I feel that it could have been so much more..

Burning Ranger
1620th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Fri 6 Nov 06:26post reply

quote:

But can you play AS the Car? I remember one fighting game you could play as a CAR, probably the most legendary of fighting cars...

Still, if I could play as the car, I would be running over Ryu and friends, shouting "REEEEE-VENGE!"

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Spoon
1847th Post

"Re(2):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Fri 6 Nov 06:45post reply

quote:
But can you play AS the Car? I remember one fighting game you could play as a CAR, probably the most legendary of fighting cars...

Still, if I could play as the car, I would be running over Ryu and friends, shouting "REEEEE-VENGE!"

That 3D fighting game with Final Fight characters makes the 'hood look like such a fun and funny place!

But for some reason I am suddenly reminded of Karnov's Revenge, with the bull.

Iron D
3329th Post

"Re(2):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Fri 6 Nov 17:55post reply

quote:

Or maybe you're thinking of Fighter's Megamix for the Saturn, where you could play as the car from Daytona U.S.A, complete with a Daytona U.S.A. stage with ROLLING STAAAAAAART as the theme.

I have now connected this thread with the other Daytona U.S.A. related thread. Power. Strength. Skill. Period.

Er.....

Just a Person
1324th Post

"Re(3):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Fri 6 Nov 20:08post reply

quote:

Or maybe you're thinking of Fighter's Megamix for the Saturn, where you could play as the car from Daytona U.S.A, complete with a Daytona U.S.A. stage with ROLLING STAAAAAAART as the theme.

I have now connected this thread with the other Daytona U.S.A. related thread. Power. Strength. Skill. Period.

Yes, the car's name was Hornet or something like that, wasn't it?

That game was AWESOME!! Sega should think about a sequel... something less technical and serious than Virtua Fighter, emphasizing the fun of playing as different characters from Sega (maybe even adding Sonic the Hedgehog and Axel and Blaze from Streets of Rage). It would be great for a change.

Maou
1850th Post

"Re(4):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Sat 7 Nov 00:36post reply

quote:
emphasizing the fun of playing as different characters from Sega

And Pepsiman. Don't forget about that part.

Count Hihihi
207th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Sat 7 Nov 00:55post reply

quote:
emphasizing the fun of playing as different characters from Sega

And don't you forget about that part.

Ishmael
3615th Post

"Re(6):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Sat 7 Nov 01:07post reply

It looks like there's a billboard for Mike Haggar in the background of the car stage. Even after all these years it seems that Metro City is still the place to go to punch cars.

The main site has been updated with details about the network stuff and voice samples. If all of Dee Jay's voice clips sound like this I'm going to have to start playing the guy.

Burning Ranger
1621th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Sat 7 Nov 15:18post reply

quote:

DESTROYED!

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

shin ramberk
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Tue 10 Nov 03:40post reply

quote:
It looks like there's a billboard for Mike Haggar in the background of the car stage. Even after all these years it seems that Metro City is still the place to go to punch cars.

The main site has been updated with details about the network stuff and voice samples. If all of Dee Jay's voice clips sound like this I'm going to have to start playing the guy.

Is he saying something in English? It sounds something like "Hey, listen to my beat!" But its hard to tell what he's saying.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

GekigangerV
1627th Post

"Re(8):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Tue 10 Nov 21:54post reply

quote:

Is he saying something in English? It sounds something like "Hey, listen to my beat!" But its hard to tell what he's saying.

I am pretty sure he is saying "Furueru My Beat" which I think is "shake to my beat"

Ishmael
3621th Post

"Re(9):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Tue 17 Nov 23:53post reply

Juri, Dee Jay, and T.Hawk move videos. While the videos showcasing the mild changes to the returning guys are nice, it's the details of Juri's attacks that caught my interest.

Iron D
3331th Post

"Re(10):The bonus stages are back!!" , posted Wed 18 Nov 16:28post reply

quote:
Juri, Dee Jay, and T.Hawk move videos. While the videos showcasing the mild changes to the returning guys are nice, it's the details of Juri's attacks that caught my interest.

Gods be DAMNED, does Dee Jay look beastly.

Er.....

Iggy
9014th Post

"2 new backgrounds" , posted Fri 20 Nov 22:24post reply

Super awesome India Stage

Metro City, with a new character hidden on the left that will be shown soon (Who were the FF characters in the main rumour? Guy and Cody, right?)

I think new pretty backgrounds make me almost as happy as a new character. The game needs more of those.

Maese
549th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):2 new backgrounds" , posted Fri 20 Nov 22:56post reply

This new India stage looks totally awesome. Not every game out there allows you to bring down a friggin' elephant (!) by the sheer fierceness of your fists, you know.

Ishmael
3623th Post

"Re(2):2 new backgrounds" , posted Sat 21 Nov 01:03post reply

That India stage is terrific. You can't have a proper Street Fighter game unless you fight in front of elephants!

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the Metro City stage since it looks like there's a statue dedicated to Haggar's bare chest in the background. Metro City may a dump overrun with colorful goons but someone decided that instead of rebuilding the town's infrastructure they would commission a giant statue of the mayor to lord over the business district. The people in Metro City have their own sense of priorities.

Tai-Pan
404th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):2 new backgrounds" , posted Sat 21 Nov 03:10post reply

quote:

Metro City, with a new character hidden on the left that will be shown soon (Who were the FF characters in the main rumour? Guy and Cody, right?)

I think new pretty backgrounds make me almost as happy as a new character. The game needs more of those.

NOW we are talking

hikarutilmitt
518th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):2 new backgrounds" , posted Sat 21 Nov 06:06post reply

quote:

Cody and Guy were rumored, but I think ti would be hilarious if they gave us Lucia or Dean. Dean himself almost looks like he was designed for SFIV back when Final Fight Tough/3 came out!

mbisonhatclub
131th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):2 new backgrounds" , posted Sat 21 Nov 07:10post reply

quote:
Cody and Guy were rumored, but I think ti would be hilarious if they gave us Lucia or Dean. Dean himself almost looks like he was designed for SFIV back when Final Fight Tough/3 came out!

Oh, I would so be sold on Lucia! She could start the match by eating a cup of noodles, and tossing it away when she notices her opponent.

Don't really care so much for Dean, but he'd probably make me think of Kouma from Melty Blood series in the way he fights. Except he uses electricity. So, uh...MAGNA TECH WHEEL

But I'm seriously holding out for Karin, despite that rumored official roster leak saying she won't be on it.

join the m.bison hat club today
i'm not just the president i'm also a client

nobinobita
654th Post

"Re(2):2 new backgrounds" , posted Sat 21 Nov 07:43post reply

quote:

YES. That would be so cool!

http://fightingstreet.com/folders/artworkfolder/artworkpages/ff_art_pages/ff3_art_pages/ff3_full_body_art.html

Count Hihihi
209th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):2 new backgrounds" , posted Sat 21 Nov 11:23post reply

Hmm, fighting on top of a building site in Metro City. SURELY IT IS NOT ROLENTO.

Nekros
199th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):2 new backgrounds" , posted Sat 21 Nov 19:03post reply

quote:
Hmm, fighting on top of a building site in Metro City. SURELY IT IS NOT ROLENTO.

LOL, Rolento and Cody are in at 90%.
Rolento is also one of Ono's fav chars so he had a great chance to be in the game. Also, has a yankee wibe and SFIV is a gaijin-oriented production, he fits the theme perfectly.
Also, the screen with Chunli hints a focus animation like a Jaguar Kick, so it might be Adon this time. And the Metro City stage. It's not so strange considering Juri was fighting in Indian stage (Dhalsim or Hakan's?).

Iron D
3332th Post

"Re(3):2 new backgrounds" , posted Sun 22 Nov 18:35post reply

quote:
That India stage is terrific. You can't have a proper Street Fighter game unless you fight in front of elephants!

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the Metro City stage since it looks like there's a statue dedicated to Haggar's bare chest in the background. Metro City may a dump overrun with colorful goons but someone decided that instead of rebuilding the town's infrastructure they would commission a giant statue of the mayor to lord over the business district. The people in Metro City have their own sense of priorities.

I really love the unique take you have on things. No thread here is complete without Ishmael's offbeat-and-yet-totally-enlightening takes on whatever the topic is at hand.

Er.....

E5150
133th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):2 new backgrounds" , posted Tue 24 Nov 17:36post reply

http://imepita.jp/20091124/605630

http://imepita.jp/20091124/606350

Megane
456th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):2 new backgrounds" , posted Tue 24 Nov 18:17post reply

Have Guy, Cody and Adon been declared official yet?

Just a Person
1327th Post

"Re(6):2 new backgrounds + new artworks & bios" , posted Tue 24 Nov 20:18:post reply

quote:
Have Guy, Cody and Adon been declared official yet?

I guess not; they will only be declared official on 11/26. But the Famitsu scans are most likely legitimate, so we can consider them official even though Capcom hasn't declared it yet.

Guy looks great, and so does Adon. Cody... doesn't look bad, but come on, the man has spent YEARS in the same prison suit? I guess I'll use him mostly in his alternate outfit in this game, just like I do with Sakura.

Notice also that on the top right of the last page, Guy seems to be blocking (or something like that) a kunai... could it be just a light effect playing tricks with our eyes? Or could it mean that either Rolento or Ibuki is in the game as well? BTW, let's hope any SFIII character appears in SSFIV, or we'll hear more complaints about how Ono is trying to erase SFIII from the SF history and stuff like that...

---

EDIT: the official SSFIV website has been updated with character sections for Ryu, Ken, Sagat, C.Viper, Chun-Li, Cammy, Rufus, Dan and El Fuerte. It shows new artworks, and also presents some (very) small bios for them. I just wish I could understand Japanese to read the bios... I want to know if SSFIV takes place indeed after SFIV (instead of being a replacement of SFIV's story), and why these fighters are returning for SSFIV...

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Tue 24 Nov 21:46]

Grave
1247th Post

"yawn" , posted Tue 24 Nov 22:18post reply

Jailbird Cody is really disappointing to me. They'll probably expect us to pony up money for DLC white t-shirt and blue jeans... no thanks. Still, these are three picks that I'm fairly happy about! I guess their strategy was to release SF4 with an arcade roster so miserable that SF3 fans will actually be happy about all these Alpha additions because, hey, at least they're more interesting than the SF2 cast, right?

Since I'm getting dangerously close to saying something that might be construed as "nice" toward SSF4 at this point I'm gonna shut up until they announce some SF3 characters. Then, and only then, will they be doing it right. Unless, of course, the only SF3 character that shows up is Twelve. That'd be pretty funny though!

Just a Person
1327th Post

"Re(1):yawn" , posted Tue 24 Nov 22:25post reply

quote:
Since I'm getting dangerously close to saying something that might be construed as "nice" toward SSF4 at this point I'm gonna shut up until they announce some SF3 characters. Then, and only then, will they be doing it right.

Well, Guy is shown blocking a kunai in one of the pictures, and Famitsu does point that out. The only characters in SF universe who throw knives are Ibuki and Rolento, and if Rolento were in SSFIV, it would make more sense to show him, Guy and Cody instead of Adon, Guy and Cody, right?

So I guess Ibuki has really good chances of being in SSFIV. And since the kunai was already pointed out, maybe it won't take long before Capcom shows who threw it at Guy...

Grave
1248th Post

"Re(2):yawn" , posted Tue 24 Nov 22:33post reply

Oh, huh, so that section is about that? I thought we were all seeing what we wanted to see! Can't read the text and all. Promising... wonder how long they'll jerk us around til we get to see something good.

Just a Person
1328th Post

"Re(3):yawn" , posted Tue 24 Nov 22:47post reply

quote:
Oh, huh, so that section is about that? I thought we were all seeing what we wanted to see! Can't read the text and all.

I can't either, but people at Shoryuken.com, GameFAQs and Hadoken.net said that's what that section says.

As I said, I wish I could read Japanese so I could understand the new bios at the SSFIV website. As weird as it seems, I'm more interested in the bios than I am about Guy, Cody and Adon...

Nekros
201th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):yawn" , posted Wed 25 Nov 00:11post reply

I'm afraid that SSFIV won't get any SF3 char... Rolento may replace Ibuki and that Hakan guy is a given against any fighter from SF3.
So, the "around 8" characters in this version may be already among us, sadly.

Remember SFIV? No hype and no hints about SF3 chars until the end, and this is repeating now. I seriously hope being wrong about this but the reality confirms my suspect till now.

Ishmael
3628th Post

"Re(4): 2 new backgrounds" , posted Wed 25 Nov 00:45post reply

Glad to see that Cody is still decked out in his Michael Vick outfit. Some may prefer him in his tight shirt and even tighter pants but I always thought that Cody's slide into a life of slovenly violence made him a far more interesting character. The addition of two Final Fight characters and a fifth SF1 character is certainly expanding the roster of SSF4. Since it looks like Ibuki managed to sneak a ninja-style cameo into this update it looks like the SF3 characters will be in the next update. I would like to think this will finally shut up those who complained about SF4 not giving SF3 enough attention but they will now probably complain that the wrong characters were brought into SSF4.

quote:
I really love the unique take you have on things. No thread here is complete without Ishmael's offbeat-and-yet-totally-enlightening takes on whatever the topic is at hand.

Some people contribute by bringing their facilities with languages or their extensive knowledge of the videogame industry to the board. I've come to the conclusion that being a useless wiseass is my primary contribution.

Grave
1249th Post

"Re(5): 2 new backgrounds" , posted Wed 25 Nov 00:51post reply

quote:
I would like to think this will finally shut up those who complained about SF4 not giving SF3 enough attention but they will now probably complain that the wrong characters were brought into SSF4.

I can already confirm that this will happen! People who cling to the boring SF2 roster will never see the light and since SSF4 will still be a moderately shined up version of a shit game, the complaining will never stop until we get a version of 3S on modern consoles with good netcode and no involvement from Backbone whatsoever. That is to say, the complaining will never stop. Might as well get used to it!

CPSIII
157th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):yawn" , posted Wed 25 Nov 02:12post reply

quote:
Well, Guy is shown blocking a kunai in one of the pictures, and Famitsu does point that out. The only characters in SF universe who throw knives are Ibuki and Rolento...

I just want to point out that Rolento throws wood gripped butter knives and not kunais.

Maybe it's Geki? :)

How are you doin'

Pollyanna
2799th Post

"Re(7):2 new backgrounds + new artworks & bios" , posted Wed 25 Nov 02:40post reply

I'm with Ishmael. Go jailbird Cody! "He loved to fight...TOO MUCH!" is one of the best plot devices ever.

I don't know why people are reluctant to believe that Ibuki is in the game. The "leaked information" correctly guessed Juri's NAME as has been dead-on so far. There's a kunai...they predicted Ibuki...she's gotta be in the game.

Or maybe we just like guessing games a lot and feel robbed?

quote:

Guy looks great, and so does Adon. Cody... doesn't look bad, but come on, the man has spent YEARS in the same prison suit?

What I find more unbelievable is the fact that you have spent MONTHS thinking that SFIV operates on any sort of timeline.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Just a Person
1329th Post

"Re(8):2 new backgrounds + new artworks & bios" , posted Wed 25 Nov 03:42post reply

quote:
What I find more unbelievable is the fact that you have spent MONTHS thinking that SFIV operates on any sort of timeline.

True, but Capcom could at least PRETEND to remember its own timeline. If Cammy got her Delta Red bathing suit, Cody could have gotten his Final Fight clothes (which he probably will, but as a DLC alternate suit)...

whitesword
1655th Post

"Re(8):2 new backgrounds + new artworks & bios" , posted Wed 25 Nov 03:55post reply

quote:

SF4 actually takes place in the same world as Namco x Capcom, so there are multiple realities and multiple timelines jammed together.

nobinobita
656th Post

"Re(7):2 new backgrounds + new artworks & bios" , posted Wed 25 Nov 07:12post reply

quote:

EDIT: the official SSFIV website has been updated with character sections for Ryu, Ken, Sagat, C.Viper, Chun-Li, Cammy, Rufus, Dan and El Fuerte. It shows new artworks, and also presents some (very) small bios for them. I just wish I could understand Japanese to read the bios... I want to know if SSFIV takes place indeed after SFIV (instead of being a replacement of SFIV's story), and why these fighters are returning for SSFIV...

Thanks for the link.

I'll never understand why Capcom chooses to use 3d models with sketch filters to simulate a hand drawn feel for the character art instead of just getting Ikeno to do it.

Megane
457th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):2 new backgrounds + new artworks & bios" , posted Wed 25 Nov 09:46post reply

Looks like the old rumor back in September about the new characters are true (the new characters revealed thus far have been named before Capcom showed them to us). That would mean...

Dudley, Makoto, and Ibuki are in.

quote:

I'll never understand why Capcom chooses to use 3d models with sketch filters to simulate a hand drawn feel for the character art instead of just getting Ikeno to do it.

Isn't it a buttload easier to do it with 3d?

nobinobita
658th Post

"Re(9):2 new backgrounds + new artworks & bios" , posted Wed 25 Nov 11:29:post reply

quote:
Looks like the old rumor back in September about the new characters are true (the new characters revealed thus far have been named before Capcom showed them to us). That would mean...

Dudley, Makoto, and Ibuki are in.

Isn't it a buttload easier to do it with 3d?

I figure Ikeno is a Capcom employee, so he must be on salary, so they might as well use him. An artist of his calibur could easily poop out an awesome illustration in less than an hour.

That seems more cost effective than taking the time to light and pose a 3d model, then run it through a series of filters and plugins making constant tweaks and adjustments and photoshop edits before you get a finished piece that's somewhat resemblant of hand drawn art. That just seems backwards.

The only reason not to have Ikeno draw everything is if he's not actually employed by Capcom anymore, but working as a freelancer like Akiman who gets paid very premium prices per picture. This could be the case considering that SFIV isn't made in house.

In any case, I just want some more Ikeno drawings!

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Wed 25 Nov 11:31]

Toxico
4802th Post

"Re(8):2 new backgrounds + new artworks & bios" , posted Thu 26 Nov 00:12:post reply

quote:

There is the possibility that the very same team that makes the in game graphics do the cheap CGs, maybe they don't feel they can 'merge' a more people into the staff, as it would mean to have them adapt into the game's theme and they already know what they want to show.

Of course, there is the little fact that having neat, eye catching 2D graphics in the game will go against everything it stands for.

????????????????
Txt currently off line.

Now sponsoring : video game analogies (ES)
Last update : Chapter 13 as of 23/11/09

[this message was edited by Toxico on Thu 26 Nov 00:13]

Ishmael
3629th Post

"New Video" , posted Thu 26 Nov 01:44post reply

Guy, Cody and Adon are in a new video over at IGN. The video also features English voices for the new characters just in case you're into that sort of thing.

Pollyanna
2801th Post

"Re(1):New Video" , posted Thu 26 Nov 04:07post reply

quote:
Guy, Cody and Adon are in a new video over at IGN. The video also features English voices for the new characters just in case you're into that sort of thing.

Ooooh, I love Cody's face. His animations are kinda jerky and it doesn't look like they added anything new or interesting (?), but man, his face looks awesome.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iron D
3333th Post

"Re(2):New Video" , posted Thu 26 Nov 04:59post reply

quote:

Ooooh, I love Cody's face. His animations are kinda jerky and it doesn't look like they added anything new or interesting (?), but man, his face looks awesome.

I definitely like DeeJay's English voice better. He sounds hilariously like an American doing a bad attempt at a Jamaican accent.

Er.....

Iggy
9016th Post

"Re(3):New Video" , posted Thu 26 Nov 05:11post reply

While T Hawk's english voice is ridiculous, I kinda like Juri's. And Adon's is trying his best to mimick the original one, and he deserves credit for it.

Also, this bores me. Same old musics as lightly remixed as possible to be immediatly recognizable...
It still looks better than the game before, though.
Hugo is in the metrocity background.

Pollyanna
2803th Post

"Re(4):New Video" , posted Thu 26 Nov 05:48post reply

Yeah, the voices sound pretty good. I think my brain might explode if I hear someone complain about Deejay's voice being stereotypical, though.

quote:
While T Hawk's english voice is ridiculous, I kinda like Juri's. And Adon's is trying his best to mimick the original one, and he deserves credit for it.

My opinion was that T.Hawk's voice wasn't ridiculous ENOUGH.

Not that I'm accusing you of this, but so often, people don't seem to understand that Japanese voice acting is ever bad or ridiculous.

(rant)

It reminds me of when people were complaining about the Star Ocean 4 (English) dub. The director said something to the effect of "I also directed Last Remnant, which everyone seemed to like and used many of the same actors as Star Ocean 4. I think it's the characters that are annoying ."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iron D
3334th Post

"Re(4):New Video" , posted Thu 26 Nov 05:57post reply

quote:
And Adon's is trying his best to mimick the original one, and he deserves credit for it.

Methinks he sounds a lot like Mark Hammill's Joker. Which is fitting and pretty much how I always imagined he'd talk if he wasn't screaming "JAGUAR!" all the time.

Er.....

Grave
1250th Post

"Re(5):New Video" , posted Thu 26 Nov 07:34post reply

Video is pretty good! While I can't really say I agree with any of the directions they took SF4 in (gameplay, roster choices, story, art direction), at least they're picking characters I'm fond of and making them look great. It's gonna be a lot of fun to play Cody and Adon, and HOW SICK IS JURI'S ULTRA? THE SICKEST.

So yeah, they better hurry up and announce Dudley, Makoto and Ibuki so I can go put my money down. It's probably never gonna be my favorite fighting game but lobbies and a better roster will at least guarantee I get my money's worth.

Ishmael
3636th Post

"Re(6):New Video" , posted Sat 12 Dec 04:55post reply

Nakky's blog updated, meerkats confirmed for SSF4.

nobinobita
661th Post

"Re(7):New Video" , posted Sat 12 Dec 07:37:post reply

quote:
Nakky's blog updated, meerkats confirmed for SSF4.

Hippos look great!

Also, Cody's face stood out to me as looking especially good among all the 3d models:

SF IV Cody in game model
Bengus Art

They captured his calm, unphased demeanor really well. It's the face of a man who's made peace with how life doesn't always go the way you want it. Which is kind of how i feel about SFIV.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 12 Dec 07:45]

Grave
1260th Post

"Re(8):New Video" , posted Sat 12 Dec 16:09post reply

quote:
It's the face of a man who's made peace with how life doesn't always go the way you want it. Which is kind of how i feel about SFIV.

You're my favorite.

Count Hihihi
211th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):New Video" , posted Sat 12 Dec 18:29post reply

I think this upgrade should be called BADASS Street Fighter IV, instead of "Super"