1803th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Dayyyytoooooonaaaa" , posted Sat 26 Sep 22:52post reply

quote:
This probably only interests me, but...

Are you kidding?!

DAYYYYTOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAA

Man, I haven't gotten to sing/yell that at/with friends for way too long.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

karasu99
217th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Dayyyytoooooonaaaa" , posted Sun 27 Sep 00:12post reply

quote:
This probably only interests me, but...
Are you kidding?!

DAYYYYTOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAAAA

Man, I haven't gotten to sing/yell that at/with friends for way too long.

For me and my circle, ROLLLLLIIIIINNNNNGGGG STAAAAAAAAAARTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!! was always the way to go. My weekend is made before it's hardly even started!

Maou
1804th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Dayyyytoooooonaaaa" , posted Sun 27 Sep 06:51post reply

quote:

For me and my circle, ROLLLLLIIIIINNNNNGGGG STAAAAAAAAAARTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!! was always the way to go. My weekend is made before it's hardly even started!

Oh HELL yeah. I think that the 10th anniversary of Dreamcast has somehow generated the first wave of game nostalgia in me, ever, and SFC is still my favorite system. Somehow, though, I just want to rock out like it's 1999/2000 when Sega was still a force in my life in all the best ways.

If I can't be bothered to start the Skullomania thread yet, I at least hope to make this a DAYTOOOONNAAAA weekend thread. And in the very best spirit of Daytona, I will post The Very Greatest Racing Tune Ever Made, from Wangan Midnight.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Burning Ranger
1609th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Dayyyytoooooonaaaa" , posted Sun 27 Sep 08:04post reply

quote:

And in the very best spirit of Daytona, I will post The Very Greatest Racing Tune Ever Made, from Wangan Midnight.

Wangan Midnight...I know the original arcade version was ported to PS2, but I don't get why the Maximum Tune series never got console releases. I didn't get to play it often in the arcades (which I rarely got to), but I did often enjoy playing it. And playing Ridge Racer 6 on X360 made me wonder why Maximum Tune never made it to consoles.

We could probably start a whole thread about arcade games that never got console releases...

Anyway, Daytona... here's hoping it's all true...

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

badoor
83th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Dayyyytoooooonaaaa" , posted Sun 27 Sep 19:59post reply

Here's hoping that Takenobu Mitsuyoshi does the soundtrack for Daytona 3 as he did before even if it might end up being called Sega Racing Classic.

I'm also hoping it won't turn out as bad as Sega's NASCAR Arcade game they did a few years back, especially after I initially perceived it as the long awaited sequal to Daytona 2.

Burning Ranger
1615th Post

"Sega Racing Classic" , posted Sun 18 Oct 08:50post reply

So it is real, apparently:

http://arcadeheroes.com/2009/10/15/confirmed-sega-racing-classic-is-the-new-daytona/

Supposedly, it'll be in hi-def. But the image in the monitor window looks like the old Daytona USA:CCE. Hmm...

Burning Ranger
1616th Post

"Sega Racing Classic" , posted Sun 18 Oct 09:04post reply

So it is real, apparently:

http://arcadeheroes.com/2009/10/15/confirmed-sega-racing-classic-is-the-new-daytona/

Supposedly, it'll be in hi-def. But the image in the monitor window looks like the old Daytona USA:CCE. Hmm...

sfried
424th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):"Game Over, YEAHHHH!!!"" , posted Tue 20 Oct 11:11post reply

It's too bad they couldn't manage to aquire (or perhaps they just didn't bother) the Daytona license. Not that it matters much, but at least they'd have an excuse to re-use that tune again.

Grave
1233th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"What if..." , posted Tue 20 Oct 12:49post reply

I know how crazy of a thought this is, but just... hear me out for a second here. We all know about how awesome Takenobu Mitsuyoshi's work on the first Daytona USA soundtrack is. And most of us know that Crush 40 rocked on the second Daytona soundtrack. What if... what if...

WHAT IF THEIR POWERS WERE TO COMBINE?

I... I don't know what I'd do!

nobinobita
636th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):What if..." , posted Tue 20 Oct 13:00post reply

quote:

WHAT IF THEIR POWERS WERE TO COMBINE?

I... I don't know what I'd do!

You could weep honestly and openly. For strong men also cry.

badoor
96th Post

Occasional Customer

"Well. This is a let down." , posted Tue 3 Nov 07:29post reply

Videos of the arcade testing are out.
Attract screen
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/26950

Beginner
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/26946

Advanced
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/26947

Expert
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/26949

Apparently, SRS is an emulated Daytona USA with widescreen and HD output. It might as well be a MAME hack mod. Its not that I don't like the original (it would love it if say they release the original for virtual console or such service) its just that I can actually go play it in a near by arcade.

Grave
1240th Post

"Re(1):Well. This is a let down." , posted Tue 3 Nov 07:34post reply

If Sega was a dude I would headbutt him so hard that both of our skulls would explode on impact.

nobinobita
647th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Well. This is a let down." , posted Tue 3 Nov 07:51post reply

quote:
Videos of the arcade testing are out.
Attract screen
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/26950

Beginner
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/26946

Advanced
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/26947

Expert
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/26949

Apparently, SRS is an emulated Daytona USA with widescreen and HD output. It might as well be a MAME hack mod. Its not that I don't like the original (it would love it if say they release the original for virtual console or such service) its just that I can actually go play it in a near by arcade.

Next they should make a 3d accelerated port of the first Virtua Fighter running in super duper HD at 2000 frames per second.

sfried
432th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Well. This is a let down." , posted Tue 3 Nov 12:16:post reply

quote:
If Sega was a dude I would headbutt him so hard that both of our skulls would explode on impact.

No, you would throw each other over the air and then your bodies would explode on impact.

I thought they would give Daytona the same treatment as they did for Sega Rally with Revo and After Burner with Climax. A bummer indeed.

Speaking of which, there's an arcade in my mall that has a Dayton unit up for sale (although you can play it just like any of the old regular arcades as well). It's kinda funny hearing "DAAAAYYTONA!!!" blast when you're in sunny Tampa.

[this message was edited by sfried on Tue 3 Nov 12:17]

Grave
1241th Post

"I knew it!" , posted Tue 3 Nov 13:27post reply

Somehow I knew exactly what that link was before I clicked it! Madman's Cafe, you make me happy. Still never did play Saturn Bomberman Fight!! despite how badly I wanted to get my hands on it back then.

Strangely enough, I was looking at those old Bomberman head multitaps they had for the Saturn earlier today. I still want one of those too!

And yeah, as much of a letdown as this is, I hope that Ringedge stuff will make for easy 360 ports since it's all PC-y. This shit straight-up looks like XBLA material and I hope it finds itself there eventually. A real online version of the original Daytona (not that DC nonsense) would please me, just not $60 please me is all.

Burning Ranger
1618th Post

"Sega, I am Dissapoint" , posted Wed 4 Nov 09:57post reply

quote:

And yeah, as much of a letdown as this is, I hope that Ringedge stuff will make for easy 360 ports since it's all PC-y. This shit straight-up looks like XBLA material and I hope it finds itself there eventually. A real online version of the original Daytona (not that DC nonsense) would please me, just not $60 please me is all.

The title of this post says it all. The Daytona USA series has always been my favorite racing game series (yes, I even liked the DC version). Sega Racing Classic appears to be giant step backwards, and it makes me sad. Sure, I'm glad the might reintroduce a classic to new audiences, even possible through Xbox Live & PSN. Still, it doesn't satisfy the itch of a new Daytona experience since Daytona 2 came out over 10 (yes, TEN) years ago.

At least we have Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune...oh wait, NAMCO NEVER RELEASED THAT GAME TO CONSOLES!!! FFFFFFFFFFFFFF---

Oh well, I might as well go buy Forza 3, or perhaps just play F-Zero GX or even the DC Daytona...or...

Let's face it: Arcade Racing Games are DEAD!

sfried
433th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Sega, I am Dissapoint" , posted Wed 4 Nov 10:50post reply

quote:
The title of this post says it all. The Daytona USA series has always been my favorite racing game series (yes, I even liked the DC version). Sega Racing Classic appears to be giant step backwards, and it makes me sad. Sure, I'm glad the might reintroduce a classic to new audiences, even possible through Xbox Live & PSN. Still, it doesn't satisfy the itch of a new Daytona experience since Daytona 2 came out over 10 (yes, TEN) years ago.

At least we have Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune...oh wait, NAMCO NEVER RELEASED THAT GAME TO CONSOLES!!! FFFFFFFFFFFFFF---

Oh well, I might as well go buy Forza 3, or perhaps just play F-Zero GX or even the DC Daytona...or...

Virtual Console Arcade release NOW! It happened for Solvalou, it could happen for DAYTONA!

Ebisumaru
12th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):Sega, I am Dissapoint" , posted Thu 19 Nov 12:05:post reply

quote:

Virtual Console Arcade release NOW! It happened for Solvalou, it could happen for DAYTONA!

Right now I'm in Las Vegas, attending the IAAPA Attractions Expo. Sega is there with their latest (and not-so-hot) releases as well.

From what I've seen, Sega Racing Classics is really Daytona USA slightly revamped to run at a higher widescreen resolution and that's all. Absolutely no changes to the gameplay and only 4 cabinets linked. I don't exactly remember the original soundtrack but it seems they left it untouched.

Here's a picture of the flyer distributed at the event. Sorry for the sloppy quality, I don't have a scanner right now.

Not only that, but they also brought Sega Rally 3 and Hummer too. Hummer has that strange co-op mode, where you have two steering wheels per car (?) and take turns controlling the vehicle. Sega Rally 3 is a modified version of Sega Rally Revo, with a few tweaks here and there to make it look more like an arcade game (although there's no terrain modification, there's now a smooth 60 fps framerate).

Lots of companies are still developing racing games, as there's still a lot of demand for new titles in this genre, but very few of them manage to put new ideas together. Usually they just follow the Cruis'n formula.

quote:
Next they should make a 3d accelerated port of the first Virtua Fighter running in super duper HD at 2000 frames per second.

I'm really tempted to ask them if there are any plans to release such a game. Thanks for the idea.

[this message was edited by Ebisumaru on Thu 19 Nov 12:12]