Crazy KOF12 talk I had today - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1916 Views )

IkariDC
773th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Sat 26 Sep 05:19post reply

I've just returned home and wanted to share with you what happened to me. So, I was hanging with my friends today and before having some Dissidia matches and some quality DS gaming, we went to a store (Fnac in Bilbao) to check out some games, DVDs, etc.

We were walking by a display with a PS3 running KOF12, and there was a guy talking to a store clerk:

- Is this the latest KOF!?
- Yup.
- The screen must be fucked up, I mean, is it running with a proper configuration? It looks horrible, those pixels are huge!

After hearing him moaning, I was petrified in the spot. One of my friends said, "Ikari, say something!", so I jumped in and told him:

- Well, I can understand if the pixelation is bothering you, but the graphic style and animation is really gorgeous. When the characters are zoomed out it looks really nice.
- The animation is all right but this is not what they were promising.
- Yeah, their biggest mistake is not drawing the sprites in HD.
- Outputting the old game in a higher resolution would have been a better choice, or doing it like Street Fighter IV.
(I was puzzled)
- What do you mean, going 3D?
- Street Fighter IV is 2D.
(You've gotta be kidding me)
- No, it's 3D.
- No, it's hand drown, they told me it's hand drown.
(Ok, at this rate I decided it wasn't worth my time going into details)
- Dude, it's not 2D it's 3D...
- If you say so... Well I only played it like 3 or 10 times, I really don't like it...

After that I told him what I thought of the game (KOF12) and that the price tag was way too pricey and that it was only worth it if you were going to play it online a lot. He told me he was really dissapointed.

Some time later, just before walking out of the store, the guy approached me and told me that I was right, that Street Fighter IV is a 3D game. This time around I learned that he was working in the store, he was an "Apple Expert"...

Replies:

Freeter
4471th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Crazy" , posted Sat 26 Sep 08:29post reply

quote:
I learned that he was working in the store, he was an "Apple Expert"...

Challenge him to SF on his iPhone and school him. Then tell us what crazy excuse he comes up with.

Maou
1801th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Sat 26 Sep 10:36:post reply

quote:
we went to a store (Fnac in Bilbao)

Actually, this sentence alone reminds me why the Cafe is the best and why all other message boards are crap. Even if we don't post like crazy all the time, the variety of experiences, people, countries, etc. on this board is unlike anything I've ever seen, at least for games. And, more importantly, it means that tales of insane people the world over, like the guy Ikari met, can reach our ears!

One time I met some guy who kept insisting that Street Figther Zero was a remake of Street Fighter 1. Well.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 26 Sep 10:42]

ONSLAUGHT
3860th Post

"Re(2):Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Sat 26 Sep 16:18:post reply

quote:

One time I met some guy who kept insisting that Street Figther Zero was a remake of Street Fighter 1. Well.

Perhaps he was just behind the times? I think that was the original idea, I even remember artwork with the SF 1 cast done in early Alpha/Zero style.

Edit: Found it

[this message was edited by ONSLAUGHT on Sat 26 Sep 16:20]

Pollyanna
2761th Post

"Re(3):Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Sat 26 Sep 16:33post reply

I always run into 4 year old kids in game stores that want to buy a super violent game, store employees that try to warn their fathers about it, and fathers that just don't give a damn.

On the subject of KOF XII, though...the more I play it with my friends, the more I like it. For me, the game is more than enough fun to make up for its shortcomings. BUUUUT...when my friends aren't around and I get excited about playing, online is ALWAYS a pain. I think maybe...3 in 50 matches are anything less that completely infuriating, thanks to the lag (and input lag). I don't usually get angry at games, but it's really frustrating to see a game I like so much get messed up so badly.

quote:

Perhaps he was just behind the times? I think that was the original idea, I even remember artwork with the SF 1 cast done in early Alpha/Zero style.

Wow. Mike. Wow.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

IkariDC
774th Post

"Re(2):Crazy" , posted Sun 27 Sep 05:09post reply

quote:
Challenge him to SF on his iPhone and school him. Then tell us what crazy excuse he comes up with.

Look what I had at my local post office waiting for me today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsjfL5LYSzg

I don't need an iPhone, I can school him with just this!

nobinobita
619th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Sun 27 Sep 05:16post reply

quote:

Ah, so that's early SF Alpha art? I always assumed it was old SF1 art and that Bengus was just already freakishly great in the 80s but no one really noticed till a decade later w/Dark Stalkers and the Alpha series.

This clears up a HUGE mystery in my life. No kiddin! Thanks!

HAYATO
945th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Sun 27 Sep 05:39:post reply

quote:

Back in the mid 90's, I happened to discover these pieces, but the source (my all-time favorite artbook "Capcom Illustrations") clearly labeled them as "Street Fighter I" illos.

Unfortunately, I can't translate the attached info but I think that Nobita's assumptions about Bengus` mastery in the 80`s may be right...

UPDATE: text layout edition (posting after 32 hours without sleep looked as a much better idea than it happened to be in the end...)

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Sun 27 Sep 17:00]

Maese
525th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Sun 27 Sep 09:59post reply

quote:

Ah, so that's early SF Alpha art? I always assumed it was old SF1 art and that Bengus was just already freakishly great in the 80s but no one really noticed till a decade later w/Dark Stalkers and the Alpha series.

I would dare to say you are wrong, good sir. I have to second Hayato on this... I have always been under the impression that those illustrations are actually from the original SF I. One might say the guys at Capcom's design department knew their business from the very beginning!

Maou
1807th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Sun 27 Sep 12:36:post reply

quote:

I would dare to say you are wrong, good sir. I have to second Hayato on this... I have always been under the impression that those illustrations are actually from the original SF I. One might say the guys at Capcom's design department knew their business from the very beginning!

Capcom's had some great artists for a while, but this is almost certainly unused art from Zero back when Zero was going to use SF I's cast. I mean, besides the fact that the in-game art is so totally different (Ryu with long hair, etc.), it's just such a different aesthetic, and besides, aren't the characters a little too close to their Zero counterparts to possibly be the same guys in SF I, where they looked very different? Besides, these designs are so clearly in the Zero style that continued with Zero 2 that it's impossible to think that they drew them this way for SF I, forgot about that style entirely for a decade, and then proceeded to recreate the exact same style for SF Zero 2. I mean, that Ryu and Ken are undoubtedly in the exact same vein. This would all be solved very quickly if I owned the art books, but I don't.

Plus, to top it off, I remember that the American Versus SF Zero 2 strategy guide featured tons of art from both Zero and Zero 2 in its pages, and it included these very same Adon, Ryu, and Ken images. I find it highly unlikely that they dug up some 1987 SF I drawings of these guys, as opposed to the more available SF Zero 1 unused designs that I believe these to be.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 27 Sep 12:38]

Maese
530th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Sun 27 Sep 13:15:post reply

quote:

...aren't the characters a little too close to their Zero counterparts to possibly be the same guys in SF I, where they looked very different? Besides, these designs are so clearly in the Zero style that continued with Zero 2 that it's impossible to think that they drew them this way for SF I, forgot about that style entirely for a decade, and then proceeded to recreate the exact same style for SF Zero 2.

I see your point, and that's exactly what I thought when I saw those pics for the first time myself. But I could swear they are listed as "SFI art" on the All About Capcom artbook. Maybe I'll try to get to Bookoff after work to see if I'm lucky enough to find a copy and confirm the matter once for all.

[this message was edited by Maese on Sun 27 Sep 13:16]

Olivier Hague
137th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Tue 29 Sep 00:59post reply

quote:
I could swear they are listed as "SFI art" on the All About Capcom artbook.

They are.
I'm not sure where they're from, but I doubt they date back to the original release of the game though...

kofoguz
759th Post

"Re(8):Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Tue 29 Sep 05:24post reply

yes, this is the "crazy kof 12 thread".

Hagen de Merak
1024th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(9):Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Tue 29 Sep 07:31post reply

quote:
yes, this is the "crazy kof 12 thread".

dude, it's like, so crazy

Gojira
2552th Post

"Re(5):Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Sat 3 Oct 07:48post reply

quote:

Nice try, but I think it is you who is wrong. In the SF20 art book there is an interview with Bengus/CRMK at the end of his section. In this interview there are things that suggest he wasn't even working at Capcom when SF1 was made.

Firstly, when asked how he got into art, he stated that he was doing Combattler V fanart in kindergarten. Combattler V was from the mid-to-late 70's, specifically 1976 at the earliest (according to wiki). Even assuming he had done this fanart when it was a new thing, he would still have been in high school by the time SF1 was in production.

Second, when asked who the first SF character he drew was, his answer was Chun Li. If in fact he had worked on SF1 he would have stated one of those characters, since it's impossible to have drawn Chun Li before she even existed in SF2.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure he didn't do those for SF1. The only clue in there is that on the page with said art, the description is Street Fighter (portion of rough drafts). Given the facts above I think Onsy's guess may be right, though I think they were only planning to remake SF1 at first before coming up with Legends/Zero/Alpha.

shipoopi

Maese
532th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Crazy KOF12 talk I had today" , posted Sat 3 Oct 13:46post reply

quote:
I could swear they are listed as "SFI art" on the All About Capcom artbook.
They are.
I'm not sure where they're from, but I doubt they date back to the original release of the game though...

I could not find anything on Book Off, but I'm glad somebody else could confirm this point. As I said earlier, I also have my doubts regarding these illustrations... But why misleadingly labelling them as SF1 artwork? Could it be mere carelessness on Capcom's part?