The TGS thread (Castlevania-free) - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5178 Views )

Iggy
8964th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Wed 16 Sep 07:22post reply

First, we will now get the Famitsu scans one day earlier.

http://videogamerx.gamedonga.co.kr/zbxe/news_user_gamenews/1276559

Then, TOKIMEMO4 ON PSP.
It looks less awestupable then Love+.

Yushano kuseni Namaikida 3D (PSP)

In Square/Cavia's NieR Replicant, the bondage-loving busty bodyguard of the exhibitionist heroin is officially an hermaphrodite.
GO CAVIA!

Last Ranker (Capcom, PSP), already the game with the most WTF casting of the year, if not of the century.
Producer: Matsukawa (the grave robber of Gyakuten Saiban)
Director: Niinou Kazuya(Seikaijuu no Meikyuu, Seven Dragon)
Chara Design: Yoshikawa Tatsuya (DMC)
Scenario: Nojima Kazushige (KH2, FF7, 8, 10)
Music: Shimomura Yoko
WHAT THE WHAT IS THIS WHAT?

3DRPGH looks more and more like... well, what it was from the start: finally a Zelda game in 3D! So strange nobody at Nintendo thought about that before, really...

Replies:

Iggy
8965th Post

"Re(1):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Wed 16 Sep 07:45post reply

And remember: the best game of the TGS and of the year 2009 was, is and will be Saga2.

I could explain you why, but my new hero on GAF already did it better than I could ever do.

nobinobita
604th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Wed 16 Sep 08:44post reply

quote:
And remember: the best game of the TGS and of the year 2009 was, is and will be Saga2.

I could explain you why, but my new hero on GAF already did it better than I could ever do.

That's some of the most beautiful 3d I've seen all year... the polygons and textures completely jive with the low res display in a manner resemblant of controlled sprite art. It's so... perfect!

HAYATO
932th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Wed 16 Sep 23:48post reply

quote:

That's some of the most beautiful 3d I've seen all year... the polygons and textures completely jive with the low res display in a manner resemblant of controlled sprite art. It's so... perfect!

It's so... meritorious to be able to do such a game on a DS.

It's so... crappy looking as any other DS game.

Therefore, it's so... sad a game with such a potential ends on DS.

Hey Nobi, you are the expert here but, to me, this is far from being so... perfect!

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

PS: Disregard this rant, Dissidia got on my nerves!!!

End of Spoiler

Ishmael
3567th Post

"Re(1):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 17 Sep 01:56post reply

quote:
First, we will now get the Famitsu scans one day earlier.

http://videogamerx.gamedonga.co.kr/zbxe/news_user_gamenews/1276559

Then, TOKIMEMO4 ON PSP.
It looks less awestupable then Love+.

Yushano kuseni Namaikida 3D (PSP)

In Square/Cavia's NieR Replicant, the bondage-loving busty bodyguard of the exhibitionist heroin is officially an hermaphrodite.
GO CAVIA!

To think, there was a time when something like the Tokimeki games would never make it out of Japan. Now a hermaphrodite is going to show up in a game that's getting a word-wide release. I'm delighted with the changes that have come over the videogame industry.

nobinobita
606th Post

"Re(4):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 17 Sep 02:31post reply

quote:

Hey Nobi, you are the expert here but, to me, this is far from being so... perfect!

I think the game accomplishes alot with the low polygon, low res environment. Every contour of the models are well chosen and every pixel in the textures make sense, especially in relation to the exact resolution its being output at. It's remarkably competent. And the end effect is a nice, full looking game. Not just nice looking for DS, but just nice looking in general, cos it's very elegant (in conveying complex characters through simple forms) and it's very intentional.

So by "perfect" I mean that it seems to look exactly the way it should. My definition of perfect is not so universal and ultimate though. I mean, by these same terms Charlie's Angels 2 was a perfect looking movie.

Spoon
1800th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 17 Sep 04:37post reply

quote:

as designed

I'm all for things looking a particular way because they were intended to look that way; there are a lot of things that have a very unique look not because they're some discombobulated mess but because somebody spent a lot of time and thought in giving it a very deliberate look.

By the same token, in the software/game industry we have a pair of phrases that at times are almost synonymous:

"Works as Designed"
"Will Not Fix"

But since I'm one of the people that thought that Minstrel Song is amazingly good-looking for a variety of reasons, I'm probably one of the crazy people that will agree with nobi that that Saga game looks very attractive.

nobinobita
609th Post

"Re(6):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 17 Sep 07:11:post reply

quote:

But since I'm one of the people that thought that Minstrel Song is amazingly good-looking for a variety of reasons, I'm probably one of the crazy people that will agree with nobi that that Saga game looks very attractive.

YES! I really liked the visual style of Minstrel Song too! In fact, it appeals to me in pretty much the same way this new Saga 2 game does (3d characters that feel like Super Deformed sprites). If i may get a bit more specific, I think a large part of the appeal lies in successfully baking in the lighting into the textures rather than relying on a realtime lighting engine to shade and smooth things out.

I wouldn't be surprised if both games shared the same graphics team.

quote:
By the same token, in the software/game industry we have a pair of phrases that at times are almost synonymous:

"Works as Designed"
"Will Not Fix"

One thing I hear alot is "90% is good enough!"

If you can actually get to 90% of what you intended that is a real achievement.

No one has the time and budget to do everything they want (unless they are badass organizational geniuses who know how to set realistic goals) so its always impressive and uplifting for me to see something in a game that looks or plays 100% the way it should (of course, this isn't a scientific 100%, just something based off of personal taste, experience and intuition).

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 17 Sep 07:16]

sfried
410th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 17 Sep 10:34:post reply

quote:
I think the game accomplishes alot with the low polygon, low res environment. Every contour of the models are well chosen and every pixel in the textures make sense, especially in relation to the exact resolution its being output at. It's remarkably competent. And the end effect is a nice, full looking game. Not just nice looking for DS, but just nice looking in general, cos it's very elegant (in conveying complex characters through simple forms) and it's very intentional.

Not to mention what it looks like when the game is in motion.

Speaking of which, I don't know why I'm excited over Four Warriors of Light. (Like Saga2, also covered extensively by GAF) Matrix Software must be at its game with the DS hardware. It's like a living, breathing Commodore 64 game come to life in 3D.

(I mean HAYATO, how could you say a game that looks like this be considered unsightly just because it's on the DS?)

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 17 Sep 10:35]

Spoon
1801th Post

"Re(7):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 17 Sep 10:35post reply

quote:

One thing I hear alot is "90% is good enough!"

If you can actually get to 90% of what you intended that is a real achievement.

No one has the time and budget to do everything they want (unless they are badass organizational geniuses who know how to set realistic goals) so its always impressive and uplifting for me to see something in a game that looks or plays 100% the way it should (of course, this isn't a scientific 100%, just something based off of personal taste, experience and intuition).

If you can get 90%, either you have really low goals or you are somehow amazing... and if you are amazing, you will be setting higher goals that you inevitably will not achieve within the time you have :D

I have heard a sentiment that goes, "games which are released, no matter how good they are, probably come across as unplayable to the people that made/designed them." Such an incredible amount of stuff is cut during production of pretty much any game (even "seasonal rehash" games like Madden... I'm not kidding), that the finished product probably only somewhat resembles the original vision/intention. It'd be like breeding thoroughbreds racehorses and getting mules, but since a mule still looks like a horse, has four legs a tail and a head and can be ridden on with the same equipment as a horse, it will have to suffice.

I'd love to know what kind of stuff gets cut from SaGa games, since they are already excessively ambitious and slightly insane in the first place.

Maou
1793th Post

"GAF Heroes" , posted Thu 17 Sep 14:16post reply

quote:

Awesome! Actually, that is the most convincing argument ever made for me to finally play another entry of my hated enemy SaGa, and probably the best thing of all time to appear at GAF. It reminds me of the old days of Maddox's Best Page in the Universe.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Loona
266th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 17 Sep 18:31post reply

quote:

Spoiler coment

Heh, I actually got a PSP last weekend with that one - but since the pack didn't include a memory stick, I'm now trying to advance as much as possible my _DS_ games before I get the memory thing tomorrow and fail to contain my playing to the favoured days.

Also, Charlie's Angels 2 is one of those movies part of me wants to feel embarasse for liking, but it's just so pure-entertainment-forget-plausibility I can't help but enjoy it.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Ishmael
3568th Post

"Re(5):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 17 Sep 22:31post reply

KoF Skystage videos:

Kyo vs Athena

Athena vs Orochi Iori

So the characters careen through the air, shoot down flying saucers and automatically fart psycho balls? This game already makes more sense than the NESTS storyline.

Nekros
191th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 17 Sep 23:40post reply

quote:
KoF Skystage videos:

Kyo vs Athena

Athena vs Orochi Iori

So the characters careen through the air, shoot down flying saucers and automatically fart psycho balls? This game already makes more sense than the NESTS storyline.

Ok, story-wise the game seems DA Crap, but gameplay looks cool. It's a Shikigami wannabe so it's fine with me.
It is released on both arcade and 360? What board?

Ishmael
3569th Post

"Re(7):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Fri 18 Sep 02:55post reply

quote:
Ok, story-wise the game seems DA Crap, but gameplay looks cool. It's a Shikigami wannabe so it's fine with me.

I believe it's on the Taito Type X board but I could be mistaken.

Amakusa
819th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(7):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Fri 18 Sep 05:40post reply

quote:
KoF Skystage videos:

Kyo vs Athena

Athena vs Orochi Iori

Athena even shoots like Kim (well, not REALLY, but it's pretty much the same thing).

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

HAYATO
934th Post

"Re(6):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Fri 18 Sep 10:04post reply

quote:

(I mean HAYATO, how could you say a game that looks like this be considered unsightly just because it's on the DS?)

They are really beautiful games for a DS, that's out of question. The matter that bugs me so much is the awful trend of creating innovative games for such a low-end platform.

My point is, imagine how much better those games would benefit from a PS3, 360 or even a PSP release, not only in terms of graphics but also in gameplay depth and/or plot lenght, to say some easily improving issues...

Good games, usually based on original ideas/concepts are botched everyday in order to fit in the technically obsolete, albeit best-selling console.

In the meantime, us PSP users get graphically astonishing, overrated mocks of a game, such as FF:Dissidia or uninteresting ports of previous PS2 hits. Fortunately, the latter trend is gradually recceing but the former is increasing at an alarming pace...

I have high hopes on this "Last Ranker" game, I think projects like this are what PSP needs and we users deserve...

sfried
412th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Fri 18 Sep 11:48:post reply

quote:
Good games, usually based on original ideas/concepts are botched everyday in order to fit in the technically obsolete, albeit best-selling console.

In the meantime, us PSP users get graphically astonishing, overrated mocks of a game, such as FF:Dissidia or uninteresting ports of previous PS2 hits. Fortunately, the latter trend is gradually recceing but the former is increasing at an alarming pace...

I have high hopes on this "Last Ranker" game, I think projects like this are what PSP needs and we users deserve...

Well, I think of the whole handhelds issue as more of Nintendo and Sony having switched places in the 32/64-bit era. I mean, sure, you're gonna have great games in both systems, but you can't blame developers for pushing the lower end platform because a)seeing it being accomplished is a feat in itself and b)it's a lot less riskier if it's released on a platform with the biggest market share. So I disagree about "original being botched" and see it more as ideas that even go through further refinement to fit within the limitations. Besides, even more original concepts usuallyinadvenrtantly spring up from such refinements (such as the invetion of the "combo" in fighters.

And it's just unfair to diss the DS's graphical capabilities considering what the fans of the original Playstation have claimed compared to N64's "muddy" visuals. (Even technically, the N64 had better spec, but that's another story for some other time I suppose.)

[this message was edited by sfried on Fri 18 Sep 11:51]

Maese
520th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Fri 18 Sep 14:24post reply

quote:

Hayato's rant

Come on man, open your eyes already. Today's DS and Wii are pretty much the Famicom or the Playstation of yesteryear. It may be a difficult reality to face for a resented Segaboy such as you some people, but like it or not that's the way things are. It's just natural for the companies to want to make the most profit out of their product, and Nintendo is clearly this console generation's winning horse.

In other words... ¡Aséptenlo guaches, adoran a un cadáver!¡Loor y gloria a Nintendo, fuente y motivo de todo lo que es bueno y justo en este mundo!

HAYATO
937th Post

"Re(8):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Fri 18 Sep 16:36post reply

quote:

Well, I think of the whole handhelds issue as more of Nintendo and Sony having switched places in the 32/64-bit era. I mean, sure, you're gonna have great games in both systems, but you can't blame developers for pushing the lower end platform because a)seeing it being accomplished is a feat in itself and b)it's a lot less riskier if it's released on a platform with the biggest market share. So I disagree about "original being botched" and see it more as ideas that even go through further refinement to fit within the limitations. Besides, even more original concepts usuallyinadvenrtantly spring up from such refinements (such as the invetion of the "combo" in fighters.

I'm not blaming developers, as it's only logical to act as they do in order to reach the wider range of customers (they have to earn a living after all). What I find so tragic is that these developers must constraint themselves and limit their creativity to a technologically outdated platform if they want to make a profit out of their products!!

Ninteno DS is a machine aimed to casual gamers (or even non-gamers) who look for some quick, aimless entertainment (from this point of view, it doesn't seem very different from a cellphone to me). All these people who got a DS to play "Dr Kawashima", "Professor Layton" and such non-games will find little appeal on things like the Castlevania and Contra series (even botched and crammed with non-gaming features to appeal to the mass as they are) and games such as the ones you pointed out. Fortunately, game business in Japan runs quite different to the rest of the world's and, being an almost self-sustainable market, there's plenty of room for everybody to earn a living. Otherwise, many game developers (basically all of them save the people behind "Pokemon", "Imagine..." and filth like that) would have died of starvation by now...

Casual gamers have entered our world, and we all are going to regret it...

And if you don't believe me about the "game botching" issue... just wait for "FF:vsXIII". it may end up being an utter mess like Dissidia, but I bet it'll be far more complex than it was intended to be back when it was catalogued as a mobile phone project. If only more games would make the same low-end/high end transition like this one...

quote:

And it's just unfair to diss the DS's graphical capabilities considering what the fans of the original Playstation have claimed compared to N64's "muddy" visuals. (Even technically, the N64 had better spec, but that's another story for some other time I suppose.)

It isn't unfair, it's only logical: never before in the history of videogames have coexisted 2 platforms on the same generation with such a technological gap between them. If things go on like this, I may be playing "Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia" and those nice games of yours on my PSP by the end of the year. If there's a platform powerful enough to emulate its counterpart, how much better would have the emulated games looked in case they were designed for this very platform originally? And, by "look" I mean what I stated in my previous post (yeah, I know this feels redundant, but bear with me boys)...

To Maese: Worthy brother, you know better than anyone this has nothing to do with me being a resented Segaist Sonyer, it's just a matter of principles. This isn't a mere platform war as those of old times, it's the future of gaming as we know it what's at stake!!!

sfried
414th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Fri 18 Sep 22:34:post reply

quote:
Ninteno DS is a machine aimed to casual gamers (or even non-gamers) who look for some quick, aimless entertainment (from this point of view, it doesn't seem very different from a cellphone to me). All these people who got a DS to play "Dr Kawashima", "Professor Layton" and such non-games will find little appeal on things like the Castlevania and Contra series (even botched and crammed with non-gaming features to appeal to the mass as they are) and games such as the ones you pointed out. Fortunately, game business in Japan runs quite different to the rest of the world's and, being an almost self-sustainable market, there's plenty of room for everybody to earn a living. Otherwise, many game developers (basically all of them save the people behind "Pokemon", "Imagine..." and filth like that) would have died of starvation by now...

Casual gamers have entered our world, and we all are going to regret it...
I'm sorry you feel that way, because I fucking enjoy the goddamn Professor Layton games and it does not make me any less of a hardcore gamer. The term "casual" gamer is a mockery in itself.

What? Because I enjoy point-and-click adventure games does not mean I can't enjoy Castlevania and Contra? The hell?

quote:
It isn't unfair, it's only logical: never before in the history of videogames have coexisted 2 platforms on the same generation with such a technological gap between them. If things go on like this, I may be playing "Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia" and those nice games of yours on my PSP by the end of the year. If there's a platform powerful enough to emulate its counterpart, how much better would have the emulated games looked in case they were designed for this very platform originally? And, by "look" I mean what I stated in my previous post (yeah, I know this feels redundant, but bear with me boys)...

To Maese: Worthy brother, you know better than anyone this has nothing to do with me being a resented Segaist Sonyer, it's just a matter of principles. This isn't a mere platform war as those of old times, it's the future of gaming as we know it what's at stake!!!

Actrually, based on what you said, you make it seems like it is a matter of platform allegiance. The factions maybe different and the philosophical stances they take might have diverged, but the sides are the same and fanboys simply argue about who is "right" or "wrong". (That's the whole problem with console wars, in general. Nothing but to lengthen ones e-penis/e-boobsize over brand loyalty.)

Let me ask you this, if PSP was the lower, cheaper end console, wouldn't you still have rooted for it anyways?

Stop being such a DS-hater.

[this message was edited by sfried on Fri 18 Sep 22:38]

Maese
521th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Fri 18 Sep 22:37post reply

quote:

And so the Heavens crumbled, rivers of blood flowed and the Buddhas and Gods themselves were put to flight; as myriads of casual fellows rampaged the land spreading chaos and disasters from here and fro. What new calamities were in wait for Videogame Industry? Scrutinize Nintendo's presentation in TGS if you would know!

HAYATO
939th Post

"Re(10):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Fri 18 Sep 23:58post reply

quote:

What? Because I enjoy point-and-click adventure games does not mean I can't enjoy Castlevania and Contra? The hell?

Of course you can but, again, you aren't the average gamer Nintendo DS is aimed for. A hardcore gamer can of course enjoy non-games, as he's been in contact with different kinds of games for a long time (long enough at least to make him used to the basic elements of traditional gaming, such as the use of buttons, joypads and in-game mechanics like life bars, combos or items/inventory), but the opposite situation (a non-gamer liking hardcore games) is much more scarce. Would any grandpa or the average saleswoman (the bulk of DS gamers spectrum), who already had a tough time grasping the basic mechanics of gaming (if even) be attracted all of a sudden to such specific and niche games as Metroidvanias, hellish 3rd person shooters or japanese RPGs? Allow me to doubt it.

The matter is that, as non-gamers have beome the dominant species in today's market, companies willing to make a profit out of their projects must diversify their products to reach the biggest customers range. When programming for machines with similar specs (PS3, 360) there are no concerns, as they can easily port their games from one platform to another, or even launching them simultaneously, whatever suits them best.

On the contrary, when faced with a limited budget or an assigned project devised for a portable platform, they are forced to choose, because of that HUEG technological gap existing between them which, in practice renders impossible to make any kind of port or dual release (to do so they should make two entirely different games, something few current companies can afford).

As I stated before, those companies would choose the platform with the biggest market share, in order to secure the profitability of their games. Non-gamers are the ones who made Wii and DS so popular and still constitute the most of its market share, but that doesn't mean they have gone deeper in the world of gaming (that is, they are still at a loss when confronted with, for instance, "Portrait of Ruin"). Therefore, they won't buy anything else but non-games so, in the end we have titles launched on a platform whose main users base don't care about (i.e. the "tree falling on the empty forest" situation) and the companies benefits being much meager than they could have been, had they chosen any more hardcore-oriented platform...

quote:

Actrually, based on what you said, you make it seems like it is a matter of platform allegiance. The factions maybe different and the philosophical stances they take might have diverged, but the sides are the same and fanboys simply argue about who is "right" or "wrong". (That's the whole problem with console wars, in general. Nothing but to lengthen ones e-penis/e-boobsize over brand loyalty.)

Let me ask you this, if PSP was the lower, cheaper end console, wouldn't you still have rooted for it anyways?

Stop being such a DS-hater.

Probably not. I chose PSP due to the device's versatility (Custom Firmware, powerful emulation homebrew, multimedia capabilities). Were DS the one offering all of this, I would probably chosen it instead of PSP. Hell, even in the case they were equally powerful and versatile, I'd have gone for Nintendo's (back then I even considered to get one due to some hardcore games such as "Princess Peach" and Castlevania titles).

My previous state about being a Sonyer was a private joke I have with Maese (or any former Gamerah reader) although, truth to be told, Sony games used to appeal more to me.

PS: Yeah, you can laugh if you want, but I consider "Princess Peach" as a pretty hardcore game by today's standards. If you had met a 45 years old welder who borrows his daughter's DS to play "Prof. Layton" on the night shift and tells you how hard it was for him to get used to the mechanics (buttons, stylus et al.) you may begin to think otherwise...

Ishmael
3570th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free" , posted Sat 19 Sep 01:46post reply

Pardon me, I have a question barely related to the topic currently derailing this thread.

First off, I'm probably not the person who should be wondering about this since I find the whole hardcore/casual designation to be arbitrary in its definition and to also be part of a mind-set that I don't subscribe to. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't videogames become popularized through early home systems such as the Atari and arcades? In both cases the games were designed to be as immediately accesible to as many people as possible. Most people would quickly die in most games -which with money gobbling arcade games was the point- but the games were still supposed to draw in a large audience. The subculture of people who enjoyed the games far more than the average person was an unexpected by-product. Doesn't that mean that the "casual" game is probably the more pure, original type of game while the "hardcore" is the aberration?

Amakusa
821th Post

"Re(9):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Sat 19 Sep 05:53post reply

quote:

What I find so tragic is that these developers must constraint themselves and limit their creativity to a technologically outdated platform if they want to make a profit out of their products!!

I'm going to take issue with this. As a programmer I find it's easier to be more creative when you operate under constraints. You need X to go to Z, so you go to Y first and then go to Z.

It's like the Reaver in Starcraft-- hits really hard, moves really slow and can't keep pace with your army. One guy decided to load them up in a much faster transport vehicle and use it to shuttle them around and drop them right where they need to be. Boom: eliminates the movement problem.

I had this argument once about an 'arbitrary' constraint with the number of objects that could be placed; one argument was there shouldn't be any limits because there never is enough object spaces to fill out an environment. My argument was you don't need to fill out every little space, you just need to fill out enough so people get the idea and don't think twice about it, and use the rest of the objects for something else. The argument never really reached a conclusion, but in the end I had a deliverable product and the other guy didn't.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Iggy
8967th Post

"Re(1):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Sat 19 Sep 06:08post reply

To not answer to anything that has been done, and not even TGS-related (but close enough)

http://kotaku.com/5362259/pissed-off-tea-table-flipping-the-arcade-game

Freeter
4470th Post

"Re(9):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Sat 19 Sep 07:55post reply

quote:

If things go on like this, I may be playing "Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia" and those nice games of yours on my PSP by the end of the year.

Right...and just how are they going to emulate the touch screen? Good luck playing Ouendan on that thing.

And I own both, btw.

HAYATO
942th Post

"The TotalGamerShow thread (non-gamers free)" , posted Sat 19 Sep 08:28:post reply

quote:
Pardon me, I have a question barely related to the topic currently derailing this thread.

First off, I'm probably not the person who should be wondering about this since I find the whole hardcore/casual designation to be arbitrary in its definition and to also be part of a mind-set that I don't subscribe to. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't videogames become popularized through early home systems such as the Atari and arcades? In both cases the games were designed to be as immediately accesible to as many people as possible. Most people would quickly die in most games -which with money gobbling arcade games was the point- but the games were still supposed to draw in a large audience. The subculture of people who enjoyed the games far more than the average person was an unexpected by-product. Doesn't that mean that the "casual" game is probably the more pure, original type of game while the "hardcore" is the aberration?

Sorry, my fault: when talking about "hardcore" and "casual" in my previous topics I tried to make a distinction between "standard" gamers (be them average players or true die-hard fanatics) and "new batch" gamers (salarymen, grandpas, young girls, etc). To further clarify the issue I'll call the former ones "gamers", while the latter ones will be labeled as "non-gamers" (pretty much what I did in my latest post).

When repeteadly exposed to different stimuli, any sane individual is able to discern what he likes and what he doesn't, what attracts one's interest and what doesn't.

When I was a little kid my father tried to instill into me his passion for cars and mechanics, to no avail. On the contrary, I felt attracted to those mesmerizing, bright virtual worlds coming to me from my room's TV. The same happens to me with other hobbies and traditional ways of entertainment. One could say, for instance, that I'm not into cars, football or fishing but I like movies, comics and videogames.

As anyone who takes interest in a hobby, I try to get the most out of it (being "the most" the personal measure one finds suitable) : I read about games, talk about games with my friends and I, of course, play games on a regular basis. Thus, I call myself a "gamer". Depending on how much time I devote to my hobby I could be labeled (via interaction with my environment and other gamers) as a "casual", "regular" or even "hardcore" gamer, but a gamer nonetheless.

Although it could sound strange (it surely does to me!), there are many people who react to games the same way I do to bass fishing contests: utter indiference (or even plain digust, trust me), be it due to ignorance or fully aware of what kind of entertainment videogames can offer. They are clearly non-gamers to me, aren't they?

Originally, videogames were concieved to reach as many people as possible, but only those who find them interesting go back to them on a regular basis while the remaining ones would move onto other hobbies they find more exciting or enrichening. Some other hobbies may include cooking, solving sudokus and various pasttimes, playing card games or even learning other languages...

An issue appears when trying to overlap or diffuse the boundaries between hobbies. Due to the versatile nature of computers, which allows us to use them as a sort of metamachines (making them act and assume functions of lower-end, dedicated machines) companies can design programs to emulate (or even completely replace) other traditional ways of entertainment. This way, they can reach a wider spectrum of clients: both gamers and non-gamers!! That wouldn't be problem per sé, save in the case that this sudden arrival of non-gamers could mean a threat to game production tendencies. That would really constitute an unexpected by-product... and that's exactly what's happening right now!!!

UPDATE: A similar, albeit far more vehement approach to the discussed topic can be found HERE.

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Sat 19 Sep 08:36]

ONSLAUGHT
3855th Post

"Mmmhh.." , posted Sat 19 Sep 10:09post reply

It's always interesting to see this "Hardcore Vs Casual" without the usual trolling of 99% of sites/blogs/bbs/portals out there.
While I somewhat agree with Ishamel about the arbitrariety of the branding, I also agree a lot with how Hayato feels.

Let's admit it, we all feel proud for being "there", in the beginnig of this hobby. Most of us started with the Atari consoles, arcades and the NES in the 80's, our tastes have evolved along with videogames, we started with rudimentary graphics and rudimentary mechanics. Who wasn't amazed with the graphics of a new console? I remember my jaw dropping when I saw a tv ad for Super Mario Bros. 3, and then with Super Mario World. Yes, we were "casuals" at first, but most of us turned that vogue/trend into a lifestyle, our primary hobby, and we were proud of it.
I don't know about other parts of the world, but here, in Mexico, you used to be treated like a pariah/nerd/outcast in ceratin circles just for liking videogames; sure, EVERYONE played SF II, but not even 5% of those gamers had a console or played any other games. SF II was like the exception to the rule because even the "cool" guys played it (I still know people that haven't played anything but SF II).

Suddenly videogames are cool! Everyone likes their wii sports, their wii fits and their guitar heroes. Videogames appear now on TV in shows about celebrity gossip or cooking. Everyone brand themselves as "gamers". I'm not blaming people for liking non-games, we can enjoy those with little to no trouble, but I doubt anyone here would invest more time in Nintendogs than Super Metroid or a good fighting game for example.
What I cannot stand is the flood of people that ask me about games because they're into games now; and it's not like they suddenly are playing RPGs or fighters, they're "playing" fucking Wii Fit or Guitar Hero! I can't go to a game store to look for an old or not so popular game without seeing boxes and boxes of Rock Bands, Wii Fits, Wii and DS shovelware everywhere! Sure, there always have been crap games, but at least they resembled some kind of game, now we have shit like Brainz Trainz or Petz that don't even qualify as games.

I always compare this to cinema where I live. Movies like The Host, Curse of the Golden Flower, The Last King of Scotland, Tropa de Elite etc. only last 4 or 6 days at most because nobody go to watch those kind of movies, yet shit like GI Joe, American Pie, Disaster/Epic/Dance Movie, any Adam Sandler/Rob Schneider/Ben Stiller stay in theater for like a month with tons of people watching them...

Remember the people I mentioned before? the ones turned suddenly into gamers? They see the wii as a novelty, as something cool, something they can play for a week and forget about it afterwards. They will buy the trendy games, they will play with their girlfriends/boyfriends, grandmas/grandpas, mom/dad... They will have fun and then move onto the next gadget, they won't buy the Beyond Good and Evils, the Okamis, or even the No More Heroes, they will buy anything that doesn't resemble a game, because they're not nerds playing kid stuff, they're grown ups enjoying their cutting edge new gadget, they will never own a Playstation or an Xbox with traditional controls, they will never download any wiiware game... These are the people that play the cellphone games and enjoy shallow entertainment...

I think I lost what I wanted to say, but I see the Wii and DS as piece of shit shovelware. Sure, there are good games for both systems, but that's natural, I bet even the N-Gage had at least one good game.

whitesword
1651th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Mmmhh.." , posted Sat 19 Sep 11:05post reply

quote:

I think I lost what I wanted to say, but I see the Wii and DS as piece of shit shovelware.

I'll give you the Wii, but the DS has more interesting games than I have time to play.

Also, the DS (and downloadable games) represent the last best hope for adventure games, SO THEY ARE GOOD REGARDLESS OF ANYTHING ELSE, AND THAT'S FINAL.

Pollyanna
2755th Post

"Re(1):Mmmhh.." , posted Sat 19 Sep 11:06post reply

I don't have a problem with casuals or non-gamers or non-games or any of that, but I am worried that Japan has totally failed to jump into the next generation. I feel like when the PS3 was unable to replace the PS2, everyone just became totally lost. Now that the PS3 is gathering momentum, I'm hoping developers and consumers alike will have the confidence to make the leap.

I hate to see games like Muramasa, Monster Hunter 3 and Arc Rise on Wii. The game suffers, the player suffers and the company suffers when it doesn't sell. Larger consumer base does not mean larger user base. Or wait...how should you say that? Larger install base does not mean larger consumer base? I mean, just because a large number of people own the system, that doesn't mean a large number of them are potential buyers.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
415th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Mmmhh..More Okamiden shots" , posted Sat 19 Sep 12:49:post reply

quote:
It's always interesting to see this "Hardcore Vs Casual" without the usual trolling of 99% of sites/blogs/bbs/portals out there.
I think I lost what I wanted to say, but I see the Wii and DS as piece of shit shovelware. Sure, there are good games for both systems, but that's natural, I bet even the N-Gage had at least one good game.

It's funny how you just ruined the argument with that statement alone. Now I know even MadMan's Cafe can have its senses bereft with fanboyish arguments.

I disagree entirely with the stance that games whould be viewed in the same vein as movies and music. This opens up a whole Pandora's Box (no pun) argument of the "games as art" movement, something which I've been trying to deter people from doing since these "auteurs" would often cite narrative structure as main principles of game design instead of, you know, gameplay.

"Casual" games, as Ishmael said, are games in their "purest sense". They have rules that are made clear. There is a challenge presented. The comparison is akin to sports. In fact, it is better to compare videogames to a sport than to movies. That's not to say that there is no "art" to creating the assets of the games, designing the structure of the rules, along with inventing new conditions for the player (as is to say that there can also be an "art" to programming). There are lots of games that blur the line between "casual" and "hardcore" (See various puzzles games played at competitive levels), and even these so-called "casual games" can enter the threshold of "hardcore" once the element of competition is introduced.

In the end, these labels are all seemingly arbitrary, market level classifications created by a more recent (and disgruntled) band of gamers in order to brand the Wii and the DS (or maybe just Nintendo's in general) audience as a sort of "subpar" set. This is nothing new, really: Remember the whole argument about games for "mature" audiences? Yup, same people who are conjuring this label up.

(The same argument can also be said about the arbitrary usage and classifications of "JRPGs" and "WRPGs", but that's another story for another day.)

What I don't understand is people are so desperate about making these distinctions, as if they're really clinging on to old hatreds.
quote:
Also, the DS (and downloadable games) represent the last best hope for adventure games, SO THEY ARE GOOD REGARDLESS OF ANYTHING ELSE, AND THAT'S FINAL.

Amen, brotha!

Going back to TGS, more beautiful Okamiden shots.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 19 Sep 12:56]

ONSLAUGHT
3856th Post

"Re(2):Mmmhh..More Okamiden shots" , posted Sat 19 Sep 15:32post reply

quote:

It's funny how you just ruined the argument with that statement alone. Now I know even MadMan's Cafe can have its senses bereft with fanboyish arguments.

I guess I deserve that. I wasn't clear enough due to my limitations in the english language, but that's my fault.
I also find funny how you're against branding, yet you're calling me fanboy just for stating my opinion, isn't that a bit contradictory to you? or is it perhaps my shitty english that is not allowing me to understand?
I never said anything against you, I was just saying how I perceive things, does that make me wrong and makes you right?

Spoon
1802th Post

"Re(3):Mmmhh..More Okamiden shots" , posted Sat 19 Sep 15:39post reply

There are so many people that play "casual" games with such devotion that call these people "casual gamers" is a bit of a misnomer.

We've seen people who have had computers set up in every room of their house so that they will never be apart from their favourite facebook/browser-based game. That's pretty hardcore, if you ask me.

I think it's folly to think of "casual games" as some kind of corrupting evil. Sure they may have zero appeal to you because the games are too simple, but they are not too simple for people who have never played games before... you know, like how we were, once? We should remember how hard Super Mario Bros. 1 was, or how in kindergarten we got beaten up by Glass Joe, or simply trying to play Street Fighter 2 with any kind of coherence when we were little.

Now, we can argue that the games we had as our entry points into playing games are better than a lot of the games that are churned out right now. That might have a bit more validity, but let's be realistic: Space Invaders by today's standards would be considered a casual game, and would go for about a dollar on the iPhone.

HAYATO
942th Post

"Re(1):Mmmhh... sexy!!" , posted Sat 19 Sep 16:55post reply

quote:
While I somewhat agree with Ishamel about the arbitrariety of the branding, I also agree a lot with how Hayato feels.

Let's admit it, we all feel proud for being "there", in the beginnig of this hobby. Most of us started with the Atari consoles, arcades and the NES in the 80's, our tastes have evolved along with videogames, we started with rudimentary graphics and rudimentary mechanics. Who wasn't amazed with the graphics of a new console? I remember my jaw dropping when I saw a tv ad for Super Mario Bros. 3, and then with Super Mario World. Yes, we were "casuals" at first, but most of us turned that vogue/trend into a lifestyle, our primary hobby, and we were proud of it.
I don't know about other parts of the world, but here, in Mexico, you used to be treated like a pariah/nerd/outcast in ceratin circles just for liking videogames; sure, EVERYONE played SF II, but not even 5% of those gamers had a console or played any other games. SF II was like the exception to the rule because even the "cool" guys played it (I still know people that haven't played anything but SF II).

Suddenly videogames are cool! Everyone likes their wii sports, their wii fits and their guitar heroes. Videogames appear now on TV in shows about celebrity gossip or cooking. Everyone brand themselves as "gamers". I'm not blaming people for liking non-games, we can enjoy those with little to no trouble, but I doubt anyone here would invest more time in Nintendogs than Super Metroid or a good fighting game for example.
What I cannot stand is the flood of people that ask me about games because they're into games now; and it's not like they suddenly are playing RPGs or fighters, they're "playing" fucking Wii Fit or Guitar Hero! I can't go to a game store to look for an old or not so popular game without seeing boxes and boxes of Rock Bands, Wii Fits, Wii and DS shovelware everywhere! Sure, there always have been crap games, but at least they resembled some kind of game, now we have shit like Brainz Trainz or Petz that don't even qualify as games.

I always compare this to cinema where I live. Movies like The Host, Curse of the Golden Flower, The Last King of Scotland, Tropa de Elite etc. only last 4 or 6 days at most because nobody go to watch those kind of movies, yet shit like GI Joe, American Pie, Disaster/Epic/Dance Movie, any Adam Sandler/Rob Schneider/Ben Stiller stay in theater for like a month with tons of people watching them...

Remember the people I mentioned before? the ones turned suddenly into gamers? They see the wii as a novelty, as something cool, something they can play for a week and forget about it afterwards. They will buy the trendy games, they will play with their girlfriends/boyfriends, grandmas/grandpas, mom/dad... They will have fun and then move onto the next gadget, they won't buy the Beyond Good and Evils, the Okamis, or even the No More Heroes, they will buy anything that doesn't resemble a game, because they're not nerds playing kid stuff, they're grown ups enjoying their cutting edge new gadget, they will never own a Playstation or an Xbox with traditional controls, they will never download any wiiware game... These are the people that play the cellphone games and enjoy shallow entertainment...

quote:
I hate to see games like Muramasa, Monster Hunter 3 and Arc Rise on Wii. The game suffers, the player suffers and the company suffers when it doesn't sell. Larger consumer base does not mean larger user base. Or wait...how should you say that? Larger install base does not mean larger consumer base? I mean, just because a large number of people own the system, that doesn't mean a large number of them are potential buyers.

Ah, what a relief to feel I've made my point clear at last. And alas!, what a joy to know I'm not alone in my eye-opening crusade...

Maese
522th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Mmmhh... sexy!!" , posted Sat 19 Sep 23:09post reply

Now that we're at it, I will just leave this here.

Please notice the expression of complete plenitude on the Wii-playing guy's face. He's so overjoyed it's almost painful to watch.

nobinobita
610th Post

"Re(1):Mmmhh.." , posted Sun 20 Sep 03:27:post reply

Hayato, Onslaught, I can relate to how you feel, but do either of you actually own a DS or PSP?

I used to consider portable gaming inherently inferior to console gaming (a sacred affair that always takes place in front of the nicest TV you can afford in the comforts of your own home with no distractions). I knew that the DS was getting all these awesome games, but I resented it, because I wanted those games to come out for a proper console.

But then I finally bit the bullet and bought a DS and my world was flipped upside down. When you own the actual machine, when you're not just playing it at a kiosk or playing your friend's hand-held for a few minutes, when it's yours and yours alone it becomes just as intensely personal as a proper console. And if you're a hardcore gamer (by which I mean if you were in the GIA's target audience) then the DS and PSP are unquestionably the best systems around for you.

I can REALLY relate to alot of the anger that you feel towards the current state of things. I grew up on the Famicom and Megadrive and I read Gamefan and haunted arcades. I'm sure we'd be good friends if we grew up in the same cul-de-sac. I used to get really depressed that it seemed like the games I love are no longer being made and the games that are an anathema to me are the best sellers of the year (my beef is not with casual games so much as big, aggressively ugly next-gen games with no substantial gameplay, novelty mechanics hailed a "innovation" and awesomely effective marketing campaigns). I was filled with the feeling that todays average gamer is as interested in games as the average movie goer is interested in films, that is, they're not looking for a deep, rewarding, personal experience, they just want to pass some time.

But then I got a DS. And like Whitesword pointed out, I realised it has "more interesting games than I have time to play."

quote:
Today's DS and Wii are pretty much the Famicom or the Playstation of yesteryear.

I stand behind Maese's statement 100% (well, 100% if you replace "Wii" with "PSP").

The DS and PSP are getting the most interesting (gameplay, story and art-production wise) and varied games of this generation. Like it or not, this is because the DS has the biggest user base by far, and it's cheaper to produce games for. Because of this there's much less risk in creating games for it so you have far more freedom to experiment and reach out to niche audiences. Games are a business, so it all comes down to money.

Which is why its miraculous that companies like Level-5 can produce one astoundingly NEAT game after another. Games like Inazumen Eleven (a sports RPG! with great characters!) or Jeanne d'Arc, a hardcore console style turn based RPG with awesome art and an actually mature story (which the New York times praised as more intelligent and intruiging than Bioshock) (also a favorite game of porno super star Jenna Haze).

And then there's the upcoming Another World (I believe it's the first game Studio Ghibli is actually officially involved with--although I could swear they helped out w/Magic Pengel). That game's beautiful no matter how you swing it, even if its on a portable. And don't forget about the upcoming "Fantasy Life" an RPG that looks be have as rich a setting as any other, but with a focus on the mundane. You build up your every day life in a sunny fantasy world, but ah there's a twist (an actually interesting twist!), the world may be ending soon! How will you live out your last days when you're not the world saving hero? How does that change your priorities, your concept of value? Could this game work as a metaphor for the fear we feel towards the death of this very kind of game? I fully expect these questions to be tackled (in a non binary system) by Fantasy Life.

I'm just rambling at this point.

Anyway, I heartily, heartily suggest that if you're a card carrying hardcore gamer, you go out and buy a DS (and then a PSP if you have additional funds). It took years of harassment from my own hardcore gaming friends (who all have obscure PHDs in things like "psychometrics" so i have to listen to them), but I finally caved and bought one and its the best gaming related decision I've made in years.

Ah, and one more thing.

The DS is not only keeping traditional "hardcore" gaming alive, it's introducing it to a new generation. Kids these days would have very little interest in anything 2-d or sprite based if not for the DS. But now they're playing pretty hardcore RPGs like Pokemon (this is a good game, i promise you) and very hardcore twitch games like Metroid, Castlevania and Rockman. The DS is keeping games as we know them alive. Yes I would like these games in HD on my next-gen console, but I'm just too dang happy with the quality of DS and PSP games to feel bad about it.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sun 20 Sep 03:37]

Spoon
1803th Post

"Re(2):Mmmhh.." , posted Sun 20 Sep 04:01post reply

quote:
massive wall of non-spam text

I wouldn't mind seeing Rocket Slime done with a next-gen budget on a next-gen platform. It would surely be gigantic, allow for more than 4 players in multiplayer, and have a buttload of things for me to do and have tank battles larger and more dramatic than ever.

But if they did that, I'm not sure if it would have the lovely 16-bit style sprites (which are lovingly animated!) and tilesets which help make Rocket Slime utterly wonderful and utterly charming. I'm not certain that they'd be allowed to get away with that on a PS3.

A PSP allows me to play SNES games on the go, which I think is already worth owning a PSP for.

I don't even think going after the portables for being technologically behind the home consoles has ever been a valid argument. There has only been one time when portables have been anywhere close to being on par with home consoles, and that was the year when the PSP was released. The next year, the PS3 was released. Think about when the GameBoy came out... was it anywhere near what an NES could do, in terms of graphics, processing, or audio? The GameBoy color when compared to an N64? How about the GBA, when compared with the PS2-era consoles? Now we have the DS and it's compared to the Wii/PS3/360... the fact is, we've never had portables that could be compared to the home consoles on pure specs. Yet was ANYBODY bitter when Pokemon was released on GameBoy? All I remember when I saw shots of Pokemon in Nintendo Power was desperately wanting a GameBoy, not being furious that it wasn't going to be released in a more glorious form on a home console. Though I do remember dreaming of Pokemon being slotted in to a Super GameBoy slotted into an XBAND so that you could trade and battle with people around the world....

I grew up with a Famicom (which I couldn't buy games for in Canada! No gamefaqs and no internet, either!), and I have to say that the PSP and DS is full of games I want to play. Any game might be better if it had more awesome technology/scope/budget, but then they wouldn't be the same game anymore. They're made the way they are, and we take them (or not) as they come. Anything else is wishful thinking, and if you don't believe me, then go play the next-gen Bionic Commando.

Ishmael
3571th Post

"Re(1):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Mon 21 Sep 04:29post reply

After that interesting but massive digression I'm not certain if this thread can go back to being about TGS but let's give it a shot.

In Tekken costume news, Oh! Great is making another outfit and Alex makes his glorious return.

Rumors are going around that Yakuza/Ryuu ga Gotoku 3 is coming to the US. If this pans out I will kiss the person responsible for making this happen.

Iron D
3281th Post

"Re(2):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Mon 21 Sep 05:33post reply

quote:
After that interesting but massive digression I'm not certain if this thread can go back to being about TGS but let's give it a shot.

In Tekken costume news, Oh! Great is making another outfit and Alex makes his glorious return.

Rumors are going around that Yakuza/Ryuu ga Gotoku 3 is coming to the US. If this pans out I will kiss the person responsible for making this happen.

Damn it! I still have yet to even start on Yakuza 2. Hopefully this won't be released until next year, so I'll have time to get a job/get through at least some of my backlog of games I need to beat.

Er.....

sfried
415th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Mon 21 Sep 05:45post reply

quote:

I hope this is a start of a trend of bringing over more franchises people never thought would be released here.

Spoon
1805th Post

"Re(2):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Mon 21 Sep 05:53post reply

quote:

I wonder if they'll just skip the dub like they did with Yakuza 2.

Hopefully they'll actually try to market it this time!

Ishmael
3573th Post

"Re(3):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Wed 23 Sep 23:41post reply

Magazine scans of BlazBlue Continuum Shift:

http://imagepot.net/view/125369134718.jpg
http://imagepot.net/view/125369134818.jpg
http://imagepot.net/view/125369134918.jpg
http://imagepot.net/view/125369159601.jpg
http://imagepot.net/view/125369159801.jpg
http://imagepot.net/view/125369159701.jpg

Hopefully official news about this and Super Street Fighter IV: Dudley Strikes Back will be coming from TGS soon.

Just a Person
1305th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 24 Sep 00:36post reply

quote:
Hopefully official news about this and Super Street Fighter IV: Dudley Strikes Back will be coming from TGS soon.

I'm sorry, but... WHAT??

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Maou
1795th Post

"Re(5):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 24 Sep 01:01post reply

quote:

I'm sorry, but... WHAT??

We can only hope...

(please bring back Skullomania too)

End of Spoiler

Just a Person
1306th Post

"Re(6):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 24 Sep 01:20post reply

quote:

I'm sorry, but... WHAT??
We can only hope...

Sorry, but what are the two of you talking about? Is Capcom going to announce a new version of Street Fighter IV already? Or are you just joking and I was the one who didn't understand (it wouldn't be the first time that happens...)?

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Count Hihihi
184th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 24 Sep 01:38post reply

quote:

Sorry, but what are the two of you talking about? Is Capcom going to announce a new version of Street Fighter IV already? Or are you just joking and I was the one who didn't understand (it wouldn't be the first time that happens...)?

There are some rumours/crap about SFIV' With Dudley, Makoto, Ibuki, Cody, Guy, Adon plus two new characters.

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

Maou
1796th Post

"Re(7):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 24 Sep 01:50post reply

quote:

I'm sorry, but... WHAT??
We can only hope...

Oh, I was just kidding, and assumed Ish was too, given the funny title he made for the game. But I wouldn't complain if it happened!

Just a Person
1308th Post

"Re(8):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 24 Sep 03:40post reply

quote:

There are some rumours/crap about SFIV' With Dudley, Makoto, Ibuki, Cody, Guy, Adon plus two new characters.

Really? But that doesn't seem very likely to me; Capcom took a long time to make just four new characters to SFIV, then took a good amount of months to get six well-known SF characters and insert them in the SFIV console versions. How much time would Capcom need to add more six returning fighters and create two original ones? And would the consoles handle it? And what about Dee Jay and T.Hawk, who were supposedly semi-ready to be added to SFIV?

The idea is great, though... IF Capcom makes this game, I'd love that!

Spoon
1807th Post

"Re(6):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 24 Sep 04:11post reply

quote:

SKULLOMANIA

It's no Shimamoto, but in a pinch it'll have to do...

Count Hihihi
185th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 24 Sep 04:14post reply

quote:

And would the consoles handle it?

What.

Just a Person
1309th Post

"Re(10):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 24 Sep 04:20post reply

quote:

And would the consoles handle it?

What.

I don't know, but some people who are playing the PC version say that SFIV is quite heavy to the machines' processing capacities, so to add even more data to it would make it even heavier...

Well, ignore my statement; it's not like if I understand anything about game programming...

Maou
1797th Post

"Re(7):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 24 Sep 05:09post reply

quote:

SKULLOMANIA

It's no Shimamoto, but in a pinch it'll have to do...

Post of the week

I propose a Skullomania-only thread in the near future.

karasu99
215th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):The TGS thread (Castlevania-free)" , posted Thu 24 Sep 06:18post reply

quote:

I propose a Skullomania-only thread in the near future.

SECONDED.

Although I'm not sure how much there really is to talk about, other than how much better EX2 and on Skullomania was because of his scarf...

End of Spoiler

Hagen de Merak
1017th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Mmmhh.." , posted Thu 24 Sep 17:32post reply

quote:

I pretty much agree with you except for one thing. The DS. Have you actually played it? Lots of great games.Sadly for me, I'm not a hand-held gamer. I just can't spend my time staring at a tiny screen. To me it lessens the experience playing a great game on a hand-held. Sure I can play fighting game, or a quick side-scroller for a few minutes. But I can't imagine playing a long RPG, or any other game that requires a lot of time. I'd rather play games on my Television.

Iggy
8968th Post

"TGS vids" , posted Thu 24 Sep 21:43post reply

Sorry to derail the rail back on its track, but more Bayonetta and trico/Last Guardian.

Ishmael
3575th Post

"Re(1):TGS vids" , posted Thu 24 Sep 22:46post reply

quote:
Sorry to derail the rail back on its track, but more Bayonetta and trico/Last Guardian.

Has there been any recent news on how the PS3 version of Bayonetta is shaping up? Is it looking any better than those previous PS3 videos that had frame rate issues?

It looks like both Ghost Trick and Sengoku Basara 3 are making it to the US.

Speaking of those 1 vs 1000 sort of games, I'm looking forward to Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce even though I should know better.

kofoguz
757th Post

"Re(2):TGS vids" , posted Fri 25 Sep 05:14post reply

Is there any sign of SNKP there? Maybe they might have a surprise announcement! Maybe they will join in Taito booth? Maybe my daydreams are completely taking over my reason? Are there answers for these questions?

Toxico
4775th Post

"Re(3):TGS vids" , posted Fri 25 Sep 05:44:post reply

quote:
Is there any sign of SNKP there? Maybe they might have a surprise announcement! Maybe they will join in Taito booth? Maybe my daydreams are completely taking over my reason? Are there answers for these questions?

They don't have a TGS booth announcement in their site this year (last year they did, I think).... So, it's startling, but maybe the only arcade game that they'll release this year will be sky stage

edit <- whoops, I missed it. I do hope that snk realizes how much of a joke this game is and throw reality out of the window; making this game similar to parodius or something.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 08/05/09 (99 personajes)

Now sponsoring : videogame analogies
Last update : Chapter 7 as of 21/09/09

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 25 Sep 08:57]

Ishmael
3576th Post

"Re(4):TGS vids" , posted Fri 25 Sep 23:53post reply

It doesn't look like this is going to be announced at TGS but whatever...

The Gundam games must have been a hit since it looks like Koei/Tecmo is adapting another classic anime series.

Pollyanna
2759th Post

"Re(5):TGS vids" , posted Sat 26 Sep 01:08post reply

quote:
It doesn't look like this is going to be announced at TGS but whatever...

The Gundam games must have been a hit since it looks like Koei/Tecmo is adapting another classic anime series.

They were showing that video at TGS, but I don't think they said anything about it...?

My big Koei/Tecmo shocker is that Troy Musou (a shock in itself) is being developed by...Koei Canada? There's a Koei Canada? Whaaaaat?

It also wins the award of "my least favorite trailer of the show". The footage was so arbitrary, just hearing the name of the game was more telling. Not a fan of FMV-only trailers...

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Olivier Hague
136th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):TGS vids" , posted Sun 27 Sep 05:34post reply

quote:
It also wins the award of "my least favorite trailer of the show". The footage was so arbitrary, just hearing the name of the game was more telling.

Based on the trailer, "Sanbyaku Musô" would have been a more fitting title...

Maese
529th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):TGS vids" , posted Sun 27 Sep 11:06:post reply

Here I was going to derail this thread again ranting about if we really need ever-improving, realistic, lifelike graphics in order to enjoy a game; I was even going to say that, for me, it was pretty much enough with the level attained on the SNES days. But watching that damned Trico video I've had an epiphany and had to shut my loud mouth for good. Graphic evolution IS indeed necessary.

Other than that, I am excited as a hyper hormonated teenager and at the same time trembling in fear and stupor at the perspective of a new Hokuto no Ken playable rendition... and this time by Koei nonetheless. Gaming world never ceases to amaze me.

[this message was edited by Maese on Sun 27 Sep 11:08]

Professor
2566th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):TGS vids" , posted Sun 27 Sep 18:37post reply

I want to play Ghost Trick!
It's got PrinceOfPersia-smooth graphics and it plays like a Pithagoraswitch.

Iggy
8970th Post

"T HAWK" , posted Sun 27 Sep 20:11post reply

http://beeep.jp/2009/093119.html

Ni no Kuni, Level 5 x Ghibli.

more Tatsunoko.

Maou
1807th Post

"Re(1):T HAWK" , posted Sun 27 Sep 22:47post reply

quote:

Pretty exciting trailer, even if I couldn't see that much of the actual game. Still, even the fact that this is the first RPG I can remember since...Lunar 2 or so...that had this much real theater-quality animation in the game.

KTallguy
1155th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):T HAWK" , posted Mon 28 Sep 00:15post reply

It's just a shame because the actual video is much better quality in this youtube than on the actual DS screen :(

Also from what I've played of the combat, it's very very simple. Like a simplified dragon quest almost.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Maou
1808th Post

"Re(3):T HAWK" , posted Mon 28 Sep 00:44post reply

quote:
It's just a shame because the actual video is much better quality in this youtube than on the actual DS screen :(

Also from what I've played of the combat, it's very very simple. Like a simplified dragon quest almost.

Yeah, what little I could see of the screens (shown about 10 at a time in this vid!) did look DQ-esque, though that definitely doesn't have to be a bad thing at all. Also: just sent you an e-mail!

Ishmael
3577th Post

"Re(1):T HAWK" , posted Mon 28 Sep 04:27post reply

quote:

It's the game that dare not speak its name!

quote:

Man, that game looks lovely. I have the sinking suspicion it's going to be a bit of a bore but I know I'll buy it because I'm a sucker for those lovely rounded edges that Ghibli does so well.

Pollyanna
2764th Post

"Re(2):T HAWK" , posted Mon 28 Sep 07:43post reply

I hate to bring us back to the old off-topic argument, but I couldn't help but think "why does it have to be on DS!? with Ni no Kuni. (well, for sales reasons, obviously, but it was still worth lamenting)

But then at the end of the trailer it says "For DS and another platform". I would guess Wii, which is a small step up at least. I can at least play Wii at its native resolution (even though it's in a window on my TV). Anything to see those gorgeous backgrounds better!

I've heard there's a Wii emulator that can output in HD, in which case I suppose if I want my Wii in HD THAT bad I can run a game from the PC, output the PC to the TV via HDMI cables and play that way. But that's soooo stupidddd.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

KTallguy
1156th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):T HAWK" , posted Mon 28 Sep 09:17post reply

quote:
I've heard there's a Wii emulator that can output in HD, in which case I suppose if I want my Wii in HD THAT bad I can run a game from the PC, output the PC to the TV via HDMI cables and play that way. But that's soooo stupidddd.

That is kind of what I want to do after seeing videos like these:

Muramasa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vunRqvDl1g

Punch Out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DD94oa8PNU&feature=channel

Galaxy - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojrq5DgEZuQ&feature=channel

Ni No Kuni certainly looks like it will be a cool story at least. :)

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Digitalboy
657th Post

"Re(2):T HAWK" , posted Mon 28 Sep 10:08post reply

ARRRRMAH-GEHDEEEN!!!
quote:

It's the game that dare not speak its name!

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Ishmael
3578th Post

"Re(3):T HAWK & JURI" , posted Tue 29 Sep 01:08post reply

Teaser site.

Screenshots of T.Hawk and Juri.

Just a Person
1310th Post

"Re(4):T HAWK & JURI" , posted Tue 29 Sep 01:41post reply

quote:
Teaser site.

WHOA, so those Super SF4 stories were true, after all...

I don't really care about T.Hawk, but this Juri chick looks fierce! I like her!

badoor
84th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):T HAWK & JURI" , posted Tue 29 Sep 02:28post reply

quote:

I don't really care about T.Hawk, but this Juri chick looks fierce! I like her!

Ditto. I generally like Tae Kwon Do characters (Kim, Hworang, etc.)

The Ultra combo gauge changed color to green. But what's more interesting is that there's a Roman Numeral I in there which could denote that you can choose the type of super/ultra move ala Street Fighter 3.

kofoguz
760th Post

"Re(5):T HAWK & JURI" , posted Tue 29 Sep 07:19post reply

quote:
Teaser site.

So Hakan is true. And he is a wrestler. Now there will be a oil wrestler in SF. A Turkish character

(Hakan is a turkish originated name, title for Ottoman Emperors )

End of Spoiler

Iron D
3292th Post

"Re(6):T HAWK & JURI" , posted Tue 29 Sep 08:52post reply

quote:
Teaser site.

That logo could very well be a photoshopped, but I guess we'll see about that. The pics look pretty damn legit, and I'm pleased because it's about damn time SF had a TKD representative.

Allow me to start the inevitable character wishlist/roster bitching.

*Ahem*

I want DEE JAY damn it!

Er.....

Pollyanna
2765th Post

"Re(7):T HAWK & JURI" , posted Tue 29 Sep 09:06post reply

quote:

*Ahem*

I want DEE JAY damn it!

Since the rumors even guessed the new character(s) name(s), I think we can probably trust them. Which means you would get Dee Jay and Dudley.

I hope the new guy isn't another big lug throw guy. I prefer medium-sized mixed throw characters.

Here's also hoping they rework the system/older characters instead of just building on top. I kind of enjoy the Guilty Gear model of mixing everything up between games...but that's just me.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

kofoguz
762th Post

"Hazama" , posted Tue 29 Sep 09:24:post reply

Btw, for Blazblue news;

Hazama Confirmed...

I heard it from Omega Yuki S-C.com

quote:
And there's our second new playable character.

It's Hazama, by the way, not Terumi. Just throwing that out there.

Drive: Ouroborus - Summons and manipulates chains which can hang in the air or be launched at enemies. It's possible to use them for movement by swinging on an axis. It's similar to Spider-man's web lines.
He uses knives, which can vaguely be seen in his left hand in the photo.

Forgive me if its old news...

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Tue 29 Sep 09:25]

Burning Ranger
1610th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Super SF IV..." , posted Tue 29 Sep 11:13post reply

quote:

*Ahem*

I want DEE JAY damn it!

Since the rumors even guessed the new character(s) name(s), I think we can probably trust them. Which means you would get Dee Jay and Dudley.

I hope the new guy isn't another big lug throw guy. I prefer medium-sized mixed throw characters.

Here's also hoping they rework the system/older characters instead of just building on top. I kind of enjoy the Guilty Gear model of mixing everything up between games...but that's just me.

http://kotaku.com/5369773/super-street-fighter-iv-confirmed-is-standalone-title

- Standalone Title
- 8 New Characters, 3 revealed so far
- DeeJay IS in the game

Here's hoping there's SF3 characters (I'm hoping for Elena...).

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Spoon
1813th Post

"Re(8):T HAWK & JURI" , posted Tue 29 Sep 11:18:post reply

quote:

Capcom actually has quite the history of reworking things significantly between releases, whether sequels or game revisions. With the exception of bug patch revisions (e.g. 3S ver.A and ver.B), I don't think Capcom has ever put out a named revision without modifying the previous characters. Then again, until SF4 Capcom hadn't made a fighting game in how long? We'll have to see whether or not they maintain that part of their old ways...

Now, whether they rework the system... that's a different question. But then again, the revisions of GGXX didn't have any significant system-wide novelty until like AC, where everybody got Force Break moves.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Tue 29 Sep 11:19]

karasu99
218th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Super SF IV..." , posted Tue 29 Sep 12:24post reply

quote:

http://kotaku.com/5369773/super-street-fighter-iv-confirmed-is-standalone-title

- Standalone Title
- 8 New Characters, 3 revealed so far
- DeeJay IS in the game

Here's hoping there's SF3 characters (I'm hoping for Elena...).

I really wish I could get excited about this, but after being underwhelmed by SFIV in a big way, I feel kind of taken advantage of. But then who am I to begrudge Capcom making gobs of money selling essentially the same game to people all over again. In fact, <sarcasm mode> I bet there won't be any SFIII characters in it since they're saving them up for the NEXT incremental version</sarcasm mode>.

Sorry all, I'm not usually this negative about things, but SFIV was just so disappointing to me ultimately.

Digitalboy
659th Post

"Re(9):T HAWK & JURI" , posted Tue 29 Sep 12:26post reply

I think I will wait for the Turbo version of this game in order for me to buy it.

I remember kofoguz called it about this happening......I just wished it was not true.
quote:

Capcom actually has quite the history of reworking things significantly between releases, whether sequels or game revisions. With the exception of bug patch revisions (e.g. 3S ver.A and ver.B), I don't think Capcom has ever put out a named revision without modifying the previous characters. Then again, until SF4 Capcom hadn't made a fighting game in how long? We'll have to see whether or not they maintain that part of their old ways...

Now, whether they rework the system... that's a different question. But then again, the revisions of GGXX didn't have any significant system-wide novelty until like AC, where everybody got Force Break moves.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Maou
1810th Post

"gimme Elena" , posted Tue 29 Sep 13:07:post reply

quote:
I remember kofoguz called it about this happening......I just wished it was not true.
Never doubt our wise, yoghurt-loving friend.

Even though I don't particularly like SF IV, this news makes me happy on principle, maybe just to see a modern fighter popular enough that it can have a small update...I'm surprised/interested to see if they can pull this off nowadays, past last decade's SF craze. Interesting too that it won't be at "full price"...or will it? Seems like a good time not to make Super SF IV a downloadable, but to offer some sort of online discount at least for the owners of the original.

But really, I'm just keen to see more Dudley. Got him on the mind lately, for some reason. And speaking of badass black (?) characters, 3D Elena would make my day/week/life. SFZero3 DeeJay says, "Ohhh-kay!"

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 29 Sep 13:13]

Iron D
3293th Post

"Re(1):gimme Elena" , posted Tue 29 Sep 14:37post reply

quote:
I remember kofoguz called it about this happening......I just wished it was not true. Never doubt our wise, yoghurt-loving friend.

Well, with all due respect to Kofoguz's precognitive abilites, this is Capcom. Not only that, but SFIV made major bank. How could anyone NOT see an update coming?

In any case, I'm freakin' jazzed. DEE JAY, man!

And if Dudley does make it (which has yet to be confirmed) I think I'll jizz on the spot.

I'm also looking at this as a chance to do right by Guile. SFIV Guile is a shell of his normal self. He deserves better.

And don't nerf 'Gief! It's about time he was top-tier.

Okay, I'll stop my rambling.

Er.....

Count Hihihi
186th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Super SF IV..." , posted Tue 29 Sep 15:53post reply

quote:

I really wish I could get excited about this, but after being underwhelmed by SFIV in a big way, I feel kind of taken advantage of. But then who am I to begrudge Capcom making gobs of money selling essentially the same game to people all over again. In fact, <sarcasm mode> I bet there won't be any SFIII characters in it since they're saving them up for the NEXT incremental version</sarcasm mode>.

Sorry all, I'm not usually this negative about things, but SFIV was just so disappointing to me ultimately.

I don't play SFIV, so I'm pretty neutral, or should I that I don't give a shit.. but anyway, I wonder why there is never such a reaction when Namco or Sega release another version of a fighting game. Or when yet another KoF game is announced.

Please, do tell.

Iggy
8971th Post

"Re(3):Super SF IV..." , posted Tue 29 Sep 19:27post reply

They speak of 8 character, while the original rumour (the first one talking about Juri) had 10. Wonder why...

Juri (whose name isn't written in katakana the same way as Juri, that was close) has a projectile as well as her taekwondo crap.

"The new characters will get their own stage". I read that as 2 stages, one for Juri one for the other guy and THAT'S IT. Gah.

Old characters and stage won't be touched graphically-wise. Gah.

Balance update means the game won't be compatible with SF4 online (the online mode will also be revamped, lobby system).

Just a Person
1311th Post

"Re(1):gimme Elena" , posted Tue 29 Sep 21:13post reply

quote:
Interesting too that it won't be at "full price"...or will it? Seems like a good time not to make Super SF IV a downloadable, but to offer some sort of online discount at least for the owners of the original.

According to Ono, Super SF IV won't be at "full price". Then again, I guess he's not the one who decides the price of the game, so if Capcom changes its mind and decides to release it at full price, there's probably not much he can do...

As for the owners of the original SF IV, Ono said they should keep it, for it would provide them with a special bonus.

Pollyanna
2766th Post

"Re(2):gimme Elena" , posted Tue 29 Sep 21:40post reply

Seems pretty standard for a fighting game update. Actually, better than standard. 8 new characters is a lot. I can't see the point in complaining unless you just don't like SF4 to begin with. (in which case, you aren't the market, I don't think)

I'm not crazy about SF4 myself, but not every game I buy can be my absolute favorite. I'd rather be playing a new KOF, but SF4 is what it is and I don't see any point in begrudging it anymore (personally, I mean).

Keep the fighting games coming!

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Tai-Pan
375th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):gimme Elena" , posted Tue 29 Sep 23:29post reply

quote:
Seems pretty standard for a fighting game update. Actually, better than standard. 8 new characters is a lot. I can't see the point in complaining unless you just don't like SF4 to begin with. (in which case, you aren't the market, I don't think)

I'm not crazy about SF4 myself, but not every game I buy can be my absolute favorite. I'd rather be playing a new KOF, but SF4 is what it is and I don't see any point in begrudging it anymore (personally, I mean).

I completely agree with her. I haven't been able to play SFIV as much as I would like to. But It's not a bad game. I simply don't have time to play it; and I recently discovered Lost Planet, which I happen to enjoy.
However, this announcement makes me feel a little bit like we are in 1996 again. And I'm tired of being so bitter about every new game coming out...I'm tired of being old...

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Just a Person
1312th Post

"Re(3):gimme Elena" , posted Tue 29 Sep 23:50post reply

quote:

Yeah, I agree. It's quite like the new versions of SFII and SFIII, with substantial upgrades, possible gameplay tweaks, and it doesn't make the previous version of SFIV useless, as the balance adjustments in SSFIV won't probably please everyone, so some people may still prefer SFIV.

Anyway, some news: T.Hawk vs. Juri video. The quality isn't great, but we can see how the attacks are. Juri's Ultra is BRUTAL (and she also taunts the opponent during it... the girl is a psycho!)!

karasu99
219th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):gimme Elena" , posted Wed 30 Sep 00:23post reply

quote:

No, you're absolutely right. I suspect I was just in a foul mood anyway last night when I posted that-- I should really be happy that fighting games are still being made, and that 8 new characters isn't insignificant. More accurately, I think I should say that I had really high expectations for SFIV, and that THAT is the reason why I was disappointed, and that SFIV is merely mediocre rather than bad. Still not sure I'll buy this one-- they'll have to really pull out the stops to get me back into a serious buying mood.

kofoguz
763th Post

"Re(4):Seriously where's my Elena..." , posted Wed 30 Sep 01:06post reply

When you think of it, if it's not full priced you'll be paying 90 dollars for fighting game with 33 character. But it could be worse they would charge the same for two characters. Also yes I know Elena wont be in next update, but for later its good to start letting them hear the demand.

Oh With Karin!!!

Also the short vid has cool clothing effect (wish it would be in game) and Ken has a great looking bum.

Off-topic; I wanna start a new thread about Jojo:Steel Ball Run. Care?

Maou
1813th Post

"Re(4):gimme Elena" , posted Wed 30 Sep 01:08:post reply

quote:

No, you're absolutely right. I suspect I was just in a foul mood anyway last night when I posted that-- I should really be happy that fighting games are still being made, and that 8 new characters isn't insignificant. More accurately, I think I should say that I had really high expectations for SFIV, and that THAT is the reason why I was disappointed, and that SFIV is merely mediocre rather than bad. Still not sure I'll buy this one-- they'll have to really pull out the stops to get me back into a serious buying mood.

Fair enough on both Polly and Karasu's points. I'm not crazy about IV, really don't like the III-style linking of standard specials into super moves, and don't like the dopey voice actors (besides our lord and master Vegamoto, of course)...and yet, for all that, I think I get the same pleasure out of watching people play Street Fighter so much again that I get out of convincing someone to play a favorite but non-mainstream game. "I'm not playing it right now, but I'm glad someone else is enjoying it and can sing its praises," or something like that.

edit: Kofoguz, I think new threads should always be started. Go for it! I worry about good conversations getting swallowed by Random Threads or going unnoticed.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 30 Sep 01:12]

Count Hihihi
187th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):gimme Elena" , posted Wed 30 Sep 01:13post reply

quote:

T.Hawk vs. Juri video.

Did I just see Hawk whiff a super? I am speechless.

kofoguz
765th Post

"Re(5):gimme Elena" , posted Wed 30 Sep 01:23:post reply

quote:
edit: Kofoguz, I think new threads should always be started. Go for it! I worry about good conversations getting swallowed by Random Threads or going unnoticed.

I will tonight, I'm just too hungry for the moment.

I just watched the T-Hawk vs Juri vid, What's with Ono and his "throw the opponent in the air then slam them to the ground" kind of Ultras (or supers)? Did he lost his creativity. I'm not familiar with his history and designs so I dont know if he had creativity at all (Rufus, Really?).
The only thing interesting and good about Juri's Ultra that she pretends caring and kissing then "SHE SLAMS HIM TO THE GROUND WITH HER FEET!" Wow how original.

I'm calling Dudley's Ultra;
he starts with the dragon punch super, launch the opponent, slams the opponent to the ground then dives with his punch (that qcb+K move of his).

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Wed 30 Sep 01:49]

Iggy
8972th Post

"Re(6):gimme Elena" , posted Wed 30 Sep 02:18post reply

quote:
Did he lost his creativity.

Take a wild guess.

quote:
... so I dont know if he had creativity at all

Gotcha.

Count Hihihi
188th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):gimme Elena" , posted Wed 30 Sep 02:32post reply

So I was trying to remember why Juri looks so familiar... Hmm..

sfried
416th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):gimme Ni no Kuni!" , posted Wed 30 Sep 04:10post reply

Ni no Kuni demo playthrough videos here and here.

It amazes me how much audio/video they've crammed into the game. It really got the royal treatment of having the biggest card size (512MB) to date.

Just a Person
1315th Post

"Re(6):gimme Elena" , posted Wed 30 Sep 22:37post reply

quote:
I just watched the T-Hawk vs Juri vid, What's with Ono and his "throw the opponent in the air then slam them to the ground" kind of Ultras (or supers)? Did he lost his creativity. I'm not familiar with his history and designs so I dont know if he had creativity at all (Rufus, Really?).
The only thing interesting and good about Juri's Ultra that she pretends caring and kissing then "SHE SLAMS HIM TO THE GROUND WITH HER FEET!" Wow how original.

Dee Jay's Ultra doesn't fit in the "throw the opponent in the air then slam them to the ground" category; from what the new SSFIV video shows, he does a sequence of kicks, then ends up with a stonger version of his projectile...

HAYATO
945th Post

"Capcom's Bizarre plagiarisms..." , posted Thu 1 Oct 08:11post reply

quote:
So I was trying to remember why Juri looks so familiar... Hmm..

Well she reminds me of Kujo Jolyne more than anyone else (hair style, her top's design...). Moreover, if we take into account that Capcom already "took inspiration on" some of Araki's designs before (at least twice : Rose-Lisa Lisa and Guile-Strohnheim), I think this is the most plausible option.

Eh, but Future Cops is an equally fair choice nonetheless!!

Pollyanna
2770th Post

"Re(1):Capcom's Bizarre plagiarisms..." , posted Thu 1 Oct 09:34post reply

The 3D backgrounds in the new BlazBlue have ruined my day. That's all.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1216th Post

"Re(2):Capcom's Bizarre plagiarisms..." , posted Thu 1 Oct 09:39post reply

Where were these day-ruining pics? None of the fuzzy pics I've seen were enough for me to form an opinion one way or the other.

Pollyanna
2771th Post

"Re(3):Capcom's Bizarre plagiarisms..." , posted Thu 1 Oct 09:51post reply

quote:
Where were these day-ruining pics? None of the fuzzy pics I've seen were enough for me to form an opinion one way or the other.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20090930_318526.html

I think they make the sprites look bad, too. Rachel's new super looks...fun, though.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1217th Post

"Re(4):Capcom's Bizarre plagiarisms..." , posted Thu 1 Oct 10:02post reply

I don't think they look all that much better or worse than the old 3D backgrounds. Not the most flattering screens all around, but I'm sure the game will be fine.

The most jarring thing about these shots for me has been Taokaka's little select screen block. Black and white makes that image a bit confusing at first glance!