SF20: The Art of Street Fighter - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2050 Views )

Gojira
2544th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Fri 4 Sep 09:58:post reply

Anyone else pick this up? I happened upon it today; didn't even know it would be out this soon. So I figured I'd write a mini-review for some of the art buffs here.

I own a number of Capcom art books myself - Gamest mooks, All About Capcom, Eternal Challenge - and I still believe this has to be one of the most comprehensive SF illustration collections I've ever seen.

The book is arranged by artist: Akiman, Kinu, CYMK (aka Bengus), Ikeno, Dai-Chan, Edayan, and Shinkirou got the big sections, and a large "Other" section which includes Shoei, Uji, Nishizawa, Maeda and more, hell even Falcoon and Nona have a few pages for the SvC Chaos illustrations, as well as some of Kawano's stuff for Namco x Capcom.

Lots of art with commentary by the artists, many of them fun to read about. For example, Akiman's commentary on the zany "Shadaloo Base" CD insert he did (you've probably seen it, it looks like a toy set with a movie-style pic of Chun Li and Ryu weeping, and there's an illustration of some guy's underwear in the corner): "Officially, they probably wanted me to come up with something really cool, but I kind of went off the track into my own little world of personal parody and most likely disappointed everyone." In addition to these, there are sketches with translated notes, figurine designs, an interview section with each major artist and some other nice extras.

So yes, it's a really impressive collection worthy of the anniversiary title. I thought the Eternal Challenge book was an okay book, but had too much Udon stuff and not enough of the rarely-seen Capcom stuff. This is the opposite, hardly any Udon stuff and a LOAD of rare artwork. The damn thing is 300+ pages and the spine is about an inch thick. $40 and totally worth every penny. Big GJ to Udon for this release.

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Fri 4 Sep 10:04]

Replies:

Digitalboy
648th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Fri 4 Sep 10:07post reply

Great now I will have buy another SF art book.
quote:
Anyone else pick this up? I happened upon it today; didn't even know it would be out this soon. So I figured I'd write a mini-review for some of the art buffs here.

I own a number of Capcom illustration books myself - Gamest mooks, All About Capcom, Image Encyclopedia, Eternal Challenge - and I still believe this has to be one of the most comprehensive SF illustration collections I've ever seen.

The book is arranged by artist: Akiman, Kinu, CYMK (aka Bengus), Ikeno, Dai-Chan, Edayan, and Shinkirou got the big sections, and a large "Other" section which includes Shoei, Uji, Nishizawa, Maeda, hell even Falcoon and Nona have a few pages for the SvC Chaos illustrations, as well as some of Kawano's stuff for Namco x Capcom.

Lots of art with commentary by the artists, many of them fun to read about. For example, Akiman's commentary on the zany "Shadaloo Base" CD insert he did (you've probably seen it, it looks like a toy set with a movie-style pic of Chun Li and Ryu weeping, and there's an illustration of some guy's underwear in the corner): "Officially, they probably wanted me to come up with something really cool, but I kind of went off the track into my own little world of personal parody and most likely disappointed everyone." In addition to these, there are sketches with translated notes, figurine designs, an interview section with each major artist and some other nice extras.

So yes, it's a really impressive collection worthy of the anniversiary title. I thought the Eternal Challenge book was an okay book, but had too much Udon stuff and not enough of the rarely-seen Capcom stuff. This is the opposite, hardly any Udon stuff and a LOAD of rare artwork. The damn thing is 300+ pages and the spine is about an inch thick. $40 and totally worth every penny. Big GJ to Udon for this release.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

nobinobita
599th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Fri 4 Sep 10:29:post reply

quote:

I own a number of Capcom art books myself - Gamest mooks, All About Capcom, Eternal Challenge - and I still believe this has to be one of the most comprehensive SF illustration collections I've ever seen.

The book is arranged by artist: Akiman, Kinu, CYMK (aka Bengus), Ikeno, Dai-Chan, Edayan, and Shinkirou got the big sections, and a large "Other" section which includes Shoei, Uji, Nishizawa, Maeda and more, hell even Falcoon and Nona have a few pages for the SvC Chaos illustrations, as well as some of Kawano's stuff for Namco x Capcom.

Is that out in english already? I've had the Japanese book for a while and it's WONDERFUL. I could go on for years about how great it is.

It's definitely the best SF art book out there. I like how it's arranged by artist instead of game or character, and there's a ton of rare art in there like Kinu's turnaround sketches for her Gashapon series. I was also surprised by how much new art was in there. I love all the new sketches from Akiman and Kinu. If only Bengus/CRMK had done some new work as well What's he up to now? Last I heard he did the designs for Onimusha 4 (his art looked much nice than the actual game).

Perhaps the biggest surprise in the book is thesection in the back with art from Capcom's non brand name guys. There were alot of portraits from SFEX that I assumed were by Ikeno, but it was actually someone else! That's nuts!

Well, it sounds like I'll have to pick up the English language version as well. It'd be worth it for Akiman's commentary alone.

Thanks for the heads up!

btw which Capcom artist is your favorite if you had to choose?

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Fri 4 Sep 16:09]

Gojira
2544th Post

"Re(2):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Fri 4 Sep 16:48post reply

quote:

Akiman, without a doubt. I mean the guy basically defines Capcom in the 90's, and it was always neat seeing how his art improved every year. Looking at his really early stuff you almost can't tell it's the same guy that did the awesome cover art. From the first few pages of the book his coloring these days is almost surreal. I would lop my nose clean off to have even half his talent.

I don't know what CYMK is doing these days, but judging from his commentary it sounds like he has a blog hidden somewhere out on the net.

shipoopi

Ishmael
3561th Post

"Re(3):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Sat 5 Sep 00:27post reply

The English version is out already? I had gotten used to taking Udon's release dates with a grain of salt so to hear that something came out on time is a bit of a shock.

quote:

Considering the talent and variety of the work produced by the stable of Capcom artists it's hard for me to single out only one. It's like asking a parent to pick their favorite child.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Mother likes me best.

End of Spoiler

Speaking of Capcom's illustrations, one of the things that impresses me about Capcom is how much leeway the artists have in drawing. There's no such thing as a house style for the art of Capcom.

Iron D
3270th Post

"Re(4):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Sat 5 Sep 06:41post reply

quote:
The English version is out already? I had gotten used to taking Udon's release dates with a grain of salt so to hear that something came out on time is a bit of a shock.

Considering the talent and variety of the work produced by the stable of Capcom artists it's hard for me to single out only one. It's like asking a parent to pick their favorite child.

Speaking of Capcom's illustrations, one of the things that impresses me about Capcom is how much leeway the artists have in drawing. There's no such thing as a house style for the art of Capcom.

The closest I've ever been to actually buying an art book is my purchase of Versus Book's SFA2 Guide, which had a pretty awesome art section. I've always wanted a full-on artbook (from both Cap and SNK) but they are ridiculously hard to find and ridiculously expensive when you DO find them. Not to mention the fact that nothing can be read because they're in English.

If this is actually in English, it may be the answer to my problems. $40 is still too steep for me at the moment since I am still broke, but if the price goes down at all I'm definitely there.

As for my favorite artist...um...it was Bengus that did the Alpha 1 and 2 artwork (the art that wasn't in the game, but was the most commonly seen in magazines and such...you guys know which ones I'm talking about), right? Who was it that did the Rival Schools/Project Justice art? Was that Akiman?

Er.....

Gojira
2545th Post

"Re(5):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Sat 5 Sep 07:04post reply

quote:

As for my favorite artist...um...it was Bengus that did the Alpha 1 and 2 artwork (the art that wasn't in the game, but was the most commonly seen in magazines and such...you guys know which ones I'm talking about), right? Who was it that did the Rival Schools/Project Justice art? Was that Akiman?

Rival Schools was done by Edayan, mostly.

shipoopi

Iron D
3272th Post

"Re(6):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Sat 5 Sep 08:59post reply

quote:

Rival Schools was done by Edayan, mostly.

I'm getting these guys all mixed up. So my favorite would be a toss up between Bengus and Edayan.

Er.....

nobinobita
599th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Sat 5 Sep 09:27post reply

quote:

I'm getting these guys all mixed up. So my favorite would be a toss up between Bengus and Edayan.

That makes sense. Edayan was Bengus Jr basically. They even worked on some pictures together, sharing credit on some SF Alpha 2 character art:

http://www.jap-sai.com/Games/Street_Fighter_Zero_2/Street_Fighter_Zero_2.htm

Edayan isn't quite as technically perfect as Bengus (that guy has UTTER CONFIDENCE in every line), but it's not a big deal because his drawings are so damn fun and his designs for Rival Schools are some of the best characters out there. I think Edayan is the main Monster Hunter artist too, so he's really beefed up on his skillz since the early days.

...I love Capcom art.

Iron D
3273th Post

"Re(8):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Sat 5 Sep 20:39post reply

quote:

That makes sense. Edayan was Bengus Jr basically. They even worked on some pictures together, sharing credit on some SF Alpha 2 character art:

http://www.jap-sai.com/Games/Street_Fighter_Zero_2/Street_Fighter_Zero_2.htm

Edayan isn't quite as technically perfect as Bengus (that guy has UTTER CONFIDENCE in every line), but it's not a big deal because his drawings are so damn fun and his designs for Rival Schools are some of the best characters out there. I think Edayan is the main Monster Hunter artist too, so he's really beefed up on his skillz since the early days.

...I love Capcom art.

That page has EXACTLY the SFA art I was talking about in my earlier post. Hard to believe that's the same guy that did the Super SF2 art out-of-game character art. There's such a drastic difference between the styles (which my have a lot to do with the coloring since the Super Turbo colors always looked very washed out compared to the Alpha games out-of-game art).

Er.....

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Mon 21 Sep 08:18post reply

I got my copy of SF20 in the mail just a couple days ago. I've got to say that I'm absolutely blown away by the quality and massive size of this book -- I rarely say this, but it's a real pity that it's not a hardcover. There's a great balance of art from TvC and ST Revival as well as sketches from SF2:WW and promo art. SF20 is an insanely good deal compared to the previous Capcom/UDON/SF artbooks I've bought.

quote:

If this is actually in English, it may be the answer to my problems. $40 is still too steep for me at the moment since I am still broke, but if the price goes down at all I'm definitely there.

I got mine for ~$25 (pre-order) at Amazon. Of course, it didn't get to me until after this thread went into hibernation. And all the English-translated commentary from the artists is fantastic, even if I don't quite see why Edayan constantly compares himself unfavorably to CRMK (Edayan did such great work with Revival, Alpha 2/3, and Rival Schools).

Apart from Edayan, I don't think there's another Capcom fighting game artist I really like across the board. Shinkiro's CvS character select artwork is beautiful and Akiman, Ikeno and Kinu all have some great stuff, but there's a lot of their work that I'm pretty "meh" about, too.

Iron D
3282th Post

"Re(6):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Mon 21 Sep 09:09post reply

quote:

Apart from Edayan, I don't think there's another Capcom fighting game artist I really like across the board. Shinkiro's CvS character select artwork is beautiful...

I found Shinkiro's CvS1 artwork mostly terrible, but her(his?) CvS2 artwork to be much more enjoyable, expressive and varied. Meanwhile, TvC's artwork is so much more varied and expressive that it's barely recongizable as being Shinkiro's work.

Er.....

Ishmael
3574th Post

"Re(7):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Wed 23 Sep 23:58post reply

Now that I have a copy of the English edition I must echo the praise that everyone has given this book. The book is jammed with art and some fun comments. I'm not certain, but it even appears to be printed on the same weight of paper as was used for the Japanese version. A tip of the hat Capcom, Udon and everyone else responsible for this book, they did a nice job.

quote:

I found Shinkiro's CvS1 artwork mostly terrible, but her(his?) CvS2 artwork to be much more enjoyable, expressive and varied. Meanwhile, TvC's artwork is so much more varied and expressive that it's barely recongizable as being Shinkiro's work.

I haven't seen it expressed directly, but it seems that not only does Capcom have guidelines for the personality and general design that their characters should have the willingness to experiment with different art styles is also a mandate of the company's art department. In the TvC section of the book Shinkiro mentions again and again how he was told to mix up his usual art style now that he was working at Capcom.

Iron D
3283th Post

"Re(8):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Thu 24 Sep 09:01post reply

quote:

I haven't seen it expressed directly, but it seems that not only does Capcom have guidelines for the personality and general design that their characters should have the willingness to experiment with different art styles is also a mandate of the company's art department. In the TvC section of the book Shinkiro mentions again and again how he was told to mix up his usual art style now that he was working at Capcom.

Which is nothing but a good thing, if you ask me.

A slightly off/slightly on-topic question: I thought I remembered reading on this very site that Shinkiro is a woman. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

Er.....

nobinobita
628th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(9):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Thu 8 Oct 08:43post reply

quote:

Which is nothing but a good thing, if you ask me.

A slightly off/slightly on-topic question: I thought I remembered reading on this very site that Shinkiro is a woman. Can anybody confirm or deny this?

I also read here a long time ago that Edayan was a woman, but I don't think either of them are. Kinu is all woman though, and quite a babe (OK maybe not, but I like to imagine she looks just like the characters she draws).

Iggy
8993th Post

"Re(10):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Thu 8 Oct 09:04post reply

I confirm Shinkiro and Edayan are both men.

Also, I never liked Shinkiro that much, but I recently saw a bunch of very early Garou arts (1, 2 and Special) and yeah, at the time, nobody at SNK could get even close to him.
Ewwww, the early 90's.

Toxico
4783th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):SF20: The Art of Street Fighter" , posted Thu 8 Oct 09:25post reply

quote:

Also, I never liked Shinkiro that much, but I recently saw a bunch of very early Garou arts (1, 2 and Special) and yeah, at the time, nobody at SNK could get even close to him.

Early on I thought that Shinkiro's art was completely odd. Body proportions and clothing where quite amazing, but his facial expressions where something that I used to make fun out in class, pasting ugly picture in classmates desks. I was quite shocked to feel a good amount of respect when I saw the lineal art for Seth or Hinako in KoF 2000, I even more so when I got a glimpse of the Dream cast art gallery for that game. I was completely blown away by TvC art.... I had to triple check who the artist was.

quote:
I confirm Shinkiro and Edayan are both men.

And Iggy's wild legend continues to grow....

quote:
Kinu is all woman though, and quite a babe (OK maybe not, but I like to imagine she looks just like the characters she draws).

You nasty devil. But, from a psychological point of view, doesn't it make more sense drawing how you would like to be and not how you actually look (similar to story telling, normally you tell what you 'would dream of' doing and not what you 'have done'). The exception is, of course; Europe : they draw what they tell people 'how they look', despise such pleas being located very far away from any type of reality. * equips flame shield *

obscene voodoo dance teleport

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 08/05/09 (99 personajes)

Now sponsoring : videogame analogies
Last update : Chapter 9 as of 02/10/09