Lost Planet 2 Demo - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2237 Views )

nobinobita
587th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Red Carpet Member

"Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Thu 20 Aug 09:23post reply

They just put out a multiplayer Lost Planet 2 Demo on Xbox live today. I'm downloading it now.

Anyone play it yet?

Replies:

Pollyanna
2745th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Thu 20 Aug 10:34post reply

quote:
They just put out a multiplayer Lost Planet 2 Demo on Xbox live today. I'm downloading it now.

Anyone play it yet?

Noooo! I just lent my 360 to a friend because I've been behind on work! (and the only thing I play on it is an occasional game of VF5 or Ikaruga)

I'm interested to see how thorough the character creation aspect is on the demo. Or, the game itself, really. I bought Lost Planet, but ended up feeling pretty disappointed. Somehow, I feel like LP2 is going to capitalize on what the first game's potential, but a little voice in the back of my head is telling me I may end up feeling let down again.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

exodus
4220th Post

"Re(1):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Thu 20 Aug 11:12post reply

quote:

Anyone play it yet?

blah, another multiplayer demo. was there a single player first? probably not. I'm tired of this multiplayer demo business, I'm not ever going to be 12 years old enough to have any fun with these!

Grave
1206th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Thu 20 Aug 12:23post reply

Will be swinging by the new apartment tomorrow to play this at some point! If new roommate has not downloaded it yet, I will make him do so!

nobinobita
588th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Thu 20 Aug 13:57post reply

quote:

blah, another multiplayer demo. was there a single player first? probably not. I'm tired of this multiplayer demo business, I'm not ever going to be 12 years old enough to have any fun with these!

You can play it offline single player too. It's co-op, not vs.

Anyway, here's my quick impressions:

This game is GREAT! It's really great looking and solid and fun. The designs are sharp and well thought out. THe animations have weight and serve the gameplay well. It's nice to see some color in a gun game. The boss monster is brilliant, very amphibious in subtle and substantial ways. It has a great feeling, very lumbering, tired, frustrated (a far cry from your typical "grrr I'm MEAN" alien). I feel bad for killing it.

The boss monster moves very naturally. You don't feel that it's just repeating animations. At the same time its animations are analogous to classic boss patterns. You have to read it's movements in order to aim at the proper weak points ("Instead of aiming at where I was you should have aimed at where I was going to be!").

There's also something fundamentally different about the aiming controls and interface that I really appreciate about this game (as well as Resident Evil 5). The game lets you move the aiming reticule across the screen, rather than anchoring the aiming reticule dead in the middle of the screen and making you reposition your entire field of view to aim. I can't stress how important this is to me. It represents an intrinsically different approach to the interface and controls.

Most FPS (and third person shooters) are reticule centric, in that the focus is on repositioning your entire field of vision in order to get your aim dead center, so the game world becomes secondary to the reticule. Capcom games are about repositioning the reticule itself without a major shift in view, so you look at where you want to aim, then you move the cursor there. To me this is like the difference between shifting your neck vs shifting just your eyes. Moving the reticule vs moving the camera feels more natural to me. It lets me focus on what's in front of me. It's less manic. Since the overall field of vision is not in constant motion, it affords a better opportunity to take in the particulars of the environment. It's much more immersive for me.

I wish I could explain it better, but I'm kind of drunk right now.

Anyway, I'm super excited for this game. It's like Monster Hunter with guns. It's fun and it's not visually depressing (quite the opposite, it's thrilling!). I can't wait to see how the character customization works. I'm hoping the question mark boxes the monster drops are actually monster parts that you can use to adorn your snow pirate.

exodus
4221th Post

"Re(3):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Thu 20 Aug 14:57post reply

quote:

I wish I could explain it better, but I'm kind of drunk right now.

guess that's about all I need. I'll download it.

KTallguy
1142th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Thu 20 Aug 18:33post reply

quote:

Anyway, I'm super excited for this game. It's like Monster Hunter with guns. It's fun and it's not visually depressing (quite the opposite, it's thrilling!). I can't wait to see how the character customization works. I'm hoping the question mark boxes the monster drops are actually monster parts that you can use to adorn your snow pirate.

Exactly, wow I can't wait for this to come out.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

exodus
4222th Post

"Re(4):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Fri 21 Aug 03:17post reply

the monster hunter with guns bit makes me not want to play it, but we'll see.

nobinobita
590th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Fri 21 Aug 11:09:post reply

quote:
the monster hunter with guns bit makes me not want to play it, but we'll see.

Lemme rephrase that:

Lost Planet looks like a potentially successful attempt to recreate the warm feelings fans have derived from Monster Hunter for a very different audience more into games like Halo and Gears of War (I didn't say "western"!). I believe Capcom is hoping that the FPS crowd in America and other territories will feel as excited for Lost Planet 2 as pretty much all of China and Japan have felt for Monster Hunter.

I believe Capcom can achieve this without making a cold and pandering game and without betraying their own esthetic (both in terms of visual and game design).

I believe this game will represent Capcom at their best: fun, solid, appealing, silly, refined.

I also believe Capcom is like an abusive spouse that their fans will always stick by because when it works its so beautiful and by gum, there's got to be some of that old magic left in the relationship.

(but it's going to work this time! I can FEEL it!)

but eh... what part of the Monster Hunter w/guns analogy turns you off? The Monster Hunter? Or the Guns? Or the simple analogy itself?

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Fri 21 Aug 11:12]

exodus
4223th Post

"Re(6):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Fri 21 Aug 11:50post reply

quote:

but eh... what part of the Monster Hunter w/guns analogy turns you off? The Monster Hunter? Or the Guns? Or the simple analogy itself?

I pretty much gathered what you meant - it's the Monster Hunter part. I don't really like the collectivist games out there, because it makes me feel like I can never get the best stuff, and also that I'm grinding and wasting my time. I tried to play monster hunter on a few separate occasions and couldn't figure out how to enjoy it, really.

But I might like this! We'll see...

ONSLAUGHT
3847th Post

"Re(1):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Fri 21 Aug 15:21post reply

quote:

Anyone play it yet?

Is anybody playing this right now? I'm going to play on 360, my tag is ONSLAUGHTXL

Tai-Pan
370th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Fri 21 Aug 23:46post reply

quote:

Anyone play it yet?

NOOOO!! I really wanted to try this game. But my 360 RRODd me two days ago.....arghhhhh

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Maou
1778th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Sat 22 Aug 01:12post reply

quote:
NOOOO!! I really wanted to try this game. But my 360 RRODd me two days ago.....arghhhhh

Weak, man! I didn't know they still did that. Watching the spectacularly incompetant race of gimps between 360's that always break and between PS3's with not much of anything to do on them is my most amusing game-related pastime of late.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Tai-Pan
371th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Sat 22 Aug 03:08post reply

quote:
Weak, man! I didn't know they still did that. Watching the spectacularly incompetant race of gimps between 360's that always break and between PS3's with not much of anything to do on them is my most amusing game-related pastime of late.

So I was feeling pretty excited because I've been using my 360 to stream movies from Netflix. All cool. One night I turn it on an I see the RROD. Nice..so I'm thinking: "Ok time to use my PS3, perfect!"...and two days later I'm still staring at it and I don't even feel like turning it on...what am I gonna play? MGS4 for the fourth time?
Time to go back to my emulators...this generation is offering nada in terms of games...

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Grave
1207th Post

"Re(4):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Sat 22 Aug 04:36post reply

quote:
so I'm thinking: "Ok time to use my PS3, perfect!"...and two days later I'm still staring at it and I don't even feel like turning it on...what am I gonna play? MGS4 for the fourth time?

Get Blazblue and play with us~~

not that I've even been on much lately! Too busy going to bed before midnight and being uninteresting!

Tai-Pan
372th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Sat 22 Aug 05:43post reply

quote:

Get Blazblue and play with us~~

not that I've even been on much lately! Too busy going to bed before midnight and being uninteresting!

Don't tempt me please..........please...

Pollyanna
2746th Post

"Re(6):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Sat 22 Aug 07:20post reply

Is this a Monster Hunter thread? I've been playing MH3 and I like it so much that I can't play 2nd G anymore, which is a shame, because I wasn't quite done with it.

MH3 is just so...not annoying in any way...that I can't help but want to play it all the time.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
590th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Sat 22 Aug 08:29post reply

quote:

MH3 is just so...not annoying in any way...that I can't help but want to play it all the time.

Wow really?

Tell me more!

Pollyanna
2747th Post

"Re(8):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Sat 22 Aug 09:59post reply

quote:

Wow really?

Tell me more!

It's just nicer. I mean, it's faster and plays smoother, but almost everything annoying from the earlier versions has been reworked.

Having the farm in MHP was a nice way to prevent you from doing mission after mission just to get resources, but even that turned into a monotonous chore after every mission. In MH3 you have a team of cats to take care of the farm FOR you. You can also send boats out to get resources or trade treasure with an overseas traveler for rarer items. All of this is funded with points, which are achieved by killing monsters on a "mission free" map, where you can fight one boss after another or leave at any time.

Of course, you still have to mine, but mining points are plentiful, and clearly visible on the map. You don't have to pull up an individual item to mine/collect bugs etc., it just pops up an icon above your head and press the "confirm" button to do it. When you're done, the mining point/bugs/whatever disappears, so you know you don't have to do it anymore.

Also, there are no more bullfangos to screw up your fights. There are some uhm...triceratops/rhino things that serve a similar purpose, but they're far less annoying and far less prevalent. Same goes for the bugs. Also, the monster have more distinct/complicated relationships with each other, rather than them all ganging up on you aggressively. Sometimes the raptors will hunt what you're hunting, sometimes they'll watch and wait at a distance, etc. Also, the monsters get low on stamina and have to eat just like you now. When this happens, their behavior changes, generally giving you some sort of advantages (although sometimes they'll try to eat you).

Your partner (Chacha) is also very reliable, healing you, powering you up, knocking you out of stuns and collecting items. He doesn't exactly win the fights for you, but as long as you don't expect too much, he'll never let you down.

They also brought back the sub mission feature from MH2 (PS2) which is a nice way to gather more resources or just mix things up in the missions.

The monsters are also challenging without being as annoying. The Rathalos, for example, still flies all the time, but now flies low to the ground, instead of far beyond your reach. It's challenging to try and hit him out of the sky, but very possible...unlike before, where you spent most of the fight either standing there waiting for him to land, or running after him.

Oh, and beating all odds, the underwater battles are tremendously fun and control very well once you get the hang of it. It's especially fun to see how primarily water-based monsters behave once you get them on land.

I could go on and on. I was expecting 2nd G with half the content and slightly better graphics, but it really does feel like a new experience. The only downside is that it has a relative lack of content and challenge for people who are coming from 2nd G. Everything that's there is great, but until they make a G version, I don't think they'll truly be capitalizing on their potential. (for example, there are just as many...actually more, skills, but precious few instances to use them. Having an anti-poison skill is only so useful when you get it by repeatedly killing pretty much the only monster that poisons you in the first place.)

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1780th Post

"Re(9):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Sat 22 Aug 15:49:post reply

Also, since I don't care about Lost Planet but do enjoy talking about things, maybe I will springboard off of the broken 360 comments/woes of Tai-Pan to grumble about the seemingly crappy battery life on the DS Lite. After buying it 1.5 years ago, using it virtually not at all until this spring, and then using it regularly since, it somehow seems as if its battery ought not to go totally dead if it isn't used for two weeks. This is to say nothing of the fact that the "15 hours of battery life"* seems to come with an asterix indicating *"if played on a first-gen GBA level of unreadably dark screen." Hum.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 22 Aug 16:09]

Iron D
3269th Post

"Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Sat 22 Aug 20:15post reply

quote:
"Instead of aiming at where I was you should have aimed at where I was going to be!"

Not much I can add to this thread since I don't care at all about Monster Hunter or Lost Planet, but at least I did come away with a Futurama quote. Bravo!

Er.....

nobinobita
591th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Mon 24 Aug 06:54post reply

quote:

It's just nicer. I mean, it's faster and plays smoother, but almost everything annoying from the earlier versions has been reworked.

Of course, you still have to mine, but mining points are plentiful, and clearly visible on the map. You don't have to pull up an individual item to mine/collect bugs etc., it just pops up an icon above your head and press the "confirm" button to do it. When you're done, the mining point/bugs/whatever disappears, so you know you don't have to do it anymore.

Also, there are no more bullfangos to screw up your fights. There are some uhm...triceratops/rhino things that serve a similar purpose, but they're far less annoying and far less prevalent. Same goes for the bugs. Also, the monster have more distinct/complicated relationships with each other, rather than them all ganging up on you aggressively. Sometimes the raptors will hunt what you're hunting, sometimes they'll watch and wait at a distance, etc. Also, the monsters get low on stamina and have to eat just like you now. When this happens, their behavior changes, generally giving you some sort of advantages (although sometimes they'll try to eat you).

That sounds great! I'm really glad to hear they revamped the monster behavior. That was the one thing I was hoping for the most out of MH3. From the sounds of it, tracking and observing the monsters will be much more important this time around.

When I saw the early trailers for MH3, some of the monster movements reminded me of BBC documentary footage. The Kurupekko has a jaunty masculinity to it that's very particular to male birds trying to secure a mate. The designs are all very distinct and interesting. They move like animals rather than generic fantasy monsters. I'm glad they'll now be interacting with each other like animals, rather than bots unanimously set to attack.

KTallguy
1143th Post

"Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Mon 24 Aug 08:59post reply

Yea, that's what I like about the Monster Hunter series, and what keeps me coming back to it even though I barely ever actually play it for stretches of longer than 2 weeks. It's partially because I don't have anyone to play with though...

The monsters really feel like genuine living, breathing creatures... they don't appear to be just automatons (although they do have pattern like movement).

The grind gets to me after a while and I always end up quitting though. In Lost Planet 2 it looks like there is less grind, so I am kind of excited about it.

exodus
4224th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Tue 25 Aug 03:41post reply

well I tried the single player, and had no fun with it particularly. I might try playing with friends and see how it goes, but I'm not anticipating big things.

lack of local co-op pretty much means I won't pay money for it.

ONSLAUGHT
3848th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Thu 27 Aug 07:48post reply

quote:
Monster Hunter

Sorry for derailing this MH thread, but is anybody else playing the Lost Planet 2 Demo? The game is very fun to play, i think it's my most awaited game now.

And is it me, or the japanese players are very rude? Everytime I play with them, they start shooting at me for no reason, even when I go to the other side of the map, they just chase me and then they leave the session.

nobinobita
592th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Thu 27 Aug 09:24post reply

quote:
Monster Hunter
Sorry for derailing this MH thread, but is anybody else playing the Lost Planet 2 Demo? The game is very fun to play, i think it's my most awaited game now.

Awrite, it's good to hear you are enjoying the game. It's pretty much my most anticipated game for a while too. I have very high hopes. I believe they're making a Lost Planet movie as well. If that actually goes through I'm sure this game will get a very big push.

quote:

And is it me, or the japanese players are very rude? Everytime I play with them, they start shooting at me for no reason, even when I go to the other side of the map, they just chase me and then they leave the session.

Last time I played online the other players IMMEDIATELY started shooting at me. But I killed them with my l33t melee skills (I happened to have the gun with the giant switchblade on it--SO COOL). After I killed them they left the game. I don't remember if they were Japanese or what, but it was stupid fun.

Grave
1220th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Mon 5 Oct 02:18post reply

So this came out on PS3 late last month, and it has more levels from the game instead of just the boss battle (which is still there at the end)! A lot more pumped for this game than I was after just the 360 demo. Its pretty great.

Also, you 360 folks should add me, my gamertag is Mikelson.

Tai-Pan
383th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Wed 7 Oct 03:13post reply

quote:
So this came out on PS3 late last month, and it has more levels from the game instead of just the boss battle (which is still there at the end)! A lot more pumped for this game than I was after just the 360 demo. Its pretty great.

I tried it on both consoles. And instantly became a fan of the series. So I already bought the first version and I love it!
One thing I don't like about the second part is the manual harmonizer.
I will add you on the 360.

nobinobita
629th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Thu 8 Oct 08:48post reply

quote:

I tried it on both consoles. And instantly became a fan of the series. So I already bought the first version and I love it!
One thing I don't like about the second part is the manual harmonizer.
I will add you on the 360.

Do you like Halo or Gears of War or any other popular FPS type game?

I've played them, but I had WAY MORE FUN with Lost Planet. I liked the controls and the feel of it much more.

I've noticed that the people who enjoy Lost Planet the most are people who don't particularly like playing FPS/3rd Person shooters on consoles. Which may hurt the success of the second game cos it's aimed squarely at the Halo/Gears crowd.

Tai-Pan
385th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Thu 8 Oct 10:36:post reply

quote:

I've played them, but I had WAY MORE FUN with Lost Planet. I liked the controls and the feel of it much more.

I've noticed that the people who enjoy Lost Planet the most are people who don't particularly like playing FPS/3rd Person shooters on consoles. Which may hurt the success of the second game cos it's aimed squarely at the Halo/Gears crowd.

No no no no. I have tried all those popular fps but they usually bore me after one hour.
I always thought that Lost Planet was part of the bold marine shooting aliens genre. But one day I decided to download the Lost Planet 2 demo for the 360. I didn't know what to expect. I fought the boss battle for hours and I found myself playing the same demo over and over again. So I decided to go buy Lost Planet and oh boy I don't regret it one bit. I'm addicted to that game. For some reason it reminds me of old 8bit actions platformers/shooters. There is something about it that keeps me hooked for hours. Even though it features weapons and grenades and killing things it doesn't feel that way. (Plus I love mechas)

I have played both LP2 demos and it doesn't feel like GOW/Halo to me. But I will wait for the full game in order to judge it.

BTW: I just watched some videos of this Front Mission Evolved game...but...how can I put this into words..Am I drunk? no..seriously..this game doesn't look like Front Mission.

[this message was edited by Tai-Pan on Thu 8 Oct 11:41]

KTallguy
1162th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Thu 8 Oct 17:30post reply

I really liked the co-op demo. The PS3 4 on 4 fight I played at TGS had a lot of technical problems though. But in between bouts of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 I am on this with a friend or two.

Grave
1222th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Fri 9 Oct 04:03post reply

quote:

I like those games plenty! I like LP2 also though! It's definitely different, but I don't think it's so far removed from western shooters that it'll alienate their fans at all. Getting used to the gameplay is a pretty quick process and fighting terrifying bugs and giant salamanders pretty much appeals to everybody, right?

Spoon
1822th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Fri 9 Oct 04:45post reply

quote:

My feeling with Lost Planet (1, anyway) was that it was a lot more fun to look at but a lot of it was wasn't terribly amazing to play. The human enemies would shoot you from far away and were generally boring, the enemy mechs didn't require any special strategy to beat, and the regular aliens were typically answered with "shoot them a lot" or "step to the side then shoot them a lot". I did like the boss fights, though. And the big mech weapons and the human rocket launcher were fun weapons. The smoke and explosions in Lost Planet were thick, rich, and delicious, too.

I'm not going to deny that I had fun playing through Lost Planet, no matter how the plot tried to prevent me from doing so, though.

However much I may complain about how the cover-based shooting games like Gears of War or Republic Commando or whatever else make the enemies incredibly durable to compensate for how you can at any time have 3 guns pointed at them, one of the things I really like about them is that they try to make even fights with the grunt enemies meaningful and interesting, not just the fights with the rare and unique enemies. If I want to fight waves of dumb enemies, then I'd rather play Serious Sam, which takes the "waves of dumb enemies" thing to incredible heights that are amazing and fun.

KTallguy
1163th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Fri 9 Oct 09:05post reply

What I've found from Lost Planet 2 is that if you make judicious use of the roll or the grapple cable, it really does feel like monster hunter in a way. The enemies are big and come barreling towards you in a way that you can't dodge by just running and jumping around. Also the animations when you shoot the bugs with shotguns are incredibly satisfying. The 90 degree turn thing makes the game feel very very different, once you get used to it.

Grave
1237th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Lost Planet 2 Demo" , posted Sat 24 Oct 15:34post reply

Dear MMCafe friends,

I just played the PS3 LP2 demo a couple of times with mbisonhatclub and friends. It is probably my new favorite thing in the world, and I already liked the single player of this and the 360 demo (boss only) a lot as it was! Please play with me because I am not sick of it yet!

Love,
Grave