What is your pet peeve? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2195 Views )

Digitalboy
632th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member

"What is your pet peeve?" , posted Sat 18 Jul 16:59post reply

Post your pet peeves whether it be in public, home, online, et cetera.

Here is one of mine: Whenever I am being polite to people in public by saying, "excuse me" especially when I am shopping. In return, I would get a "mmmhhmmm" answer. Not a "no problem" or anything along those lines. Dick cheeses try to make it sound like YOU are in THEIR way. So many times I just want to punch people in the face. [CAPS] WHERE IS THE COMMON COURTESY? [/CAPS] Is it so hard?

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Replies:

Catalyst
453th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Sun 19 Jul 00:42post reply

That's like me holding doors for people.

Soon as they walk by I just say out loud your welcome. The results either a stuck up angry face or a middle finger. Most of the time it is a stuck up angry face.

My pet peeve is women who are afraid to say no when they are asked on a date. For christ sake, it is bad enough if you leave someone hanging giving the said guy a glimmer of hope. By ignoring the obvious and not saying no because the person is so "sweet" or a "nice guy" just makes things so much more worse you jackanapes.

It is not like we will hate you for it, hell friends would be acceptable afterwords!

kofoguz
732th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Sun 19 Jul 03:29post reply

quote:
Post your pet peeves whether it be in public, home, online, et cetera.
I hate people smokes while walking on the side walk. When I am behind them I breath all the smoke they released. It's fucking annoying.

Digitalboy
633th Post

"Re(2):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Sun 19 Jul 06:23post reply

I am in the same boat with you Catalyst. Whenever I invite girls to get some coffee they automatically think that I am in love with them or some shit like that. I got stood up so many times. Most recent one is when this one broad agreed to meet me there but when it comes to that day, she flakes out.

Bitch, I am just trying to get to know you. Do you really think that I am some sort of love starved Asian asshole? If anything I just wanna cum on your face.

quote:

Soon as they walk by I just say out loud your welcome. The results either a stuck up angry face or a middle finger. Most of the time it is a stuck up angry face.

My pet peeve is women who are afraid to say no when they are asked on a date. For christ sake, it is bad enough if you leave someone hanging giving the said guy a glimmer of hope. By ignoring the obvious and not saying no because the person is so "sweet" or a "nice guy" just makes things so much more worse you jackanapes.

It is not like we will hate you for it, hell friends would be acceptable afterwords!

Kofoguz, I do smoke...

I don't know how to live

Iron D
3236th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Sun 19 Jul 06:46post reply

I actually say stuff like "mmm hmm" when people say "excuse me". It isn't that I'm trying to say that they're in MY way, it's just that I'm too lazy to even give a full sentence response. In my case it's laziness, rather than an attempt at being a dick.

I've got too many pet peeves, but while we're on the subject of women, I'm going to with "lets be friends". In many cases I'd rather just not be friends with a female if she doesn't want to go out with me. This sounds heartless, but I can explain. First of all, I already have a ton of female friends, and about half of them are those women that I decided to be "just friends" with. It sucks if you continue to have feelings for them, but they go on and meet other guys or talk to you about the guys that they like and act as if you NEVER admitted interest in them or something. I don't get that.

In fact, I'll just say that the games that women play in general are a major pet peeve. No offense to the women of the board (all what...two, three of you?) but women are often times just....completely illogical.

And thats just pet peeves regarding women. I've got a ton, which I may post if this thread hangs around long enough.

Er.....

Pollyanna
2721th Post

"Re(1):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Sun 19 Jul 09:26post reply

quote:
face. [CAPS] WHERE IS THE COMMON COURTESY? [/CAPS]

Speaking of people being in your way...what I REALLY love is when there are people on cell phones...walking slowly...in front of my car...taking up so much space that I can't go around them. It's even better when they turn around and look at me, then pretend like I'm not there and go right back to chatting. I didn't think this level on inconsideration was even possible until recently...and yet, it's happened to me 5 or 6 times.

As for people playing games or not being able to say "no" I'm sad that people are just socialized like that. I'm even more sad that when you try to open up to someone and get past the bullshit, they often react negatively. Being a psychology major has really made it difficult for me to like people very much.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Grave
1182th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Sun 19 Jul 14:01post reply

My pet peeve is when people complain about me smoking on the sidewalk. Since you don't want me smoking in my residence, in bars or in diners now, I have no place left but the sidewalk! But I should probably quit because I'm poor now. Sad.

I hate my landlord. That isn't really a pet peeve, but I had to tell somebody. OOH SHE'S SO STUPID.

Catalyst
454th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Sun 19 Jul 15:54post reply

quote:
I am in the same boat with you Catalyst. Whenever I invite girls to get some coffee they automatically think that I am in love with them or some shit like that. I got stood up so many times. Most recent one is when this one broad agreed to meet me there but when it comes to that day, she flakes out.

Bitch, I am just trying to get to know you. Do you really think that I am some sort of love starved Asian asshole? If anything I just wanna cum on your face.

THANK YOU! Same mind frequency! THANK YOU.

Oh I so got a story for you dude, it involves a bottle of 151... yeah that's about it. Anyways, there is this girl I like and trying to get with has been a bit of an awkward situation. So I set up a date with her since she is an extremely busy person give her two weeks in advance [events before then we share a bunch of stuff together so I am ready to take it to the next level]. So I get burned completely. Fine eff you, your missing out on the best thing that has ever happened to you.

One week later its a buddy's birthday and we are in the same circle of friends. I didn't expect her to show up but she did. Not even apologizing to me for completely burning me after I left a message, set the place, saved money all I get is a hello hug and then ignored for the rest of the night and blown off. Oh being a raging drunk that night never felt so good while being held back from friends to not cause a scene. Seriously, this all could of been avoided with a simple no and lets be friends... which leads me to Iron D's statement.

quote:
I've got too many pet peeves, but while we're on the subject of women, I'm going to with "lets be friends". In many cases I'd rather just not be friends with a female if she doesn't want to go out with me. This sounds heartless, but I can explain. First of all, I already have a ton of female friends, and about half of them are those women that I decided to be "just friends" with. It sucks if you continue to have feelings for them, but they go on and meet other guys or talk to you about the guys that they like and act as if you NEVER admitted interest in them or something. I don't get that.

I am totally going to go on your end and slowly reach that point. If it wasn't for me being a business major with networks knowing each others networks and nonsensical inner political bullshit I would so be there and not be friends. Though in some cases, blowing up and calling people out can be helpful sometimes in business. One big silly game.

Digitalboy
634th Post

"Re(4):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Sun 19 Jul 18:26post reply

I use to drink 151 too. Not exactly over a girl but in order to get to sleep. That puts me out pretty fast. Would I ever go back to drinking that? Yes, yes, I would. Shit burns but for some odd reason I like it.

quote:

THANK YOU! Same mind frequency! THANK YOU.

Oh I so got a story for you dude, it involves a bottle of 151... yeah that's about it. Anyways, there is this girl I like and trying to get with has been a bit of an awkward situation. So I set up a date with her since she is an extremely busy person give her two weeks in advance [events before then we share a bunch of stuff together so I am ready to take it to the next level]. So I get burned completely. Fine eff you, your missing out on the best thing that has ever happened to you.

One week later its a buddy's birthday and we are in the same circle of friends. I didn't expect her to show up but she did. Not even apologizing to me for completely burning me after I left a message, set the place, saved money all I get is a hello hug and then ignored for the rest of the night and blown off. Oh being a raging drunk that night never felt so good while being held back from friends to not cause a scene. Seriously, this all could of been avoided with a simple no and lets be friends... which leads me to Iron D's statement.

I am totally going to go on your end and slowly reach that point. If it wasn't for me being a business major with networks knowing each others networks and nonsensical inner political bullshit I would so be there and not be friends. Though in some cases, blowing up and calling people out can be helpful sometimes in business. One big silly game.

I don't know how to live

KTallguy
1115th Post

"Re(5):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Sun 19 Jul 20:51post reply

I hate bad service in restaurants or other service oriented stores.

If it's really busy, if they are polite and apologize if there was a problem with the service, that's OK. Things happen, people make mistakes.

I'm talking about the "I am giving you bad service and I don't give a shit, I hate my job and my life" people. Fake that you are happy, I don't care. You're at work. Be professional.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Pollyanna
2724th Post

"Re(6):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Sun 19 Jul 21:05post reply

quote:
I hate bad service in restaurants or other service oriented stores.

If it's really busy, if they are polite and apologize if there was a problem with the service, that's OK. Things happen, people make mistakes.

I'm talking about the "I am giving you bad service and I don't give a shit, I hate my job and my life" people. Fake that you are happy, I don't care. You're at work. Be professional.

YES.

I used to work a really crappy job and I was 100% positive and polite every minute of every day. When the other employees would say "we don't do that" I would say "I'll see what I can do." I also make it an effort to be polite and friendly to people working jobs like this, because the last thing they need to deal with are crappy customers.

BUT...since I have that outlook, I get really irritated when people treat me like crap. Even if you have a bad job, show some dignity! It's not like acting like an ass is going to make your day any better...just the opposite, probably.

On the upside, exceptional customer service makes my day...especially since I see it so rarely.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

KTallguy
1116th Post

"Re(7):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Mon 20 Jul 00:06post reply

Yep. Emotions and feelings are contagious.

Even when I'm not happy with a situation, I try to smile and be polite the entire way through (although being as firm as I can with my position). You can't always win, but it's usually better than being antagonistic.

Catalyst
456th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Mon 20 Jul 00:42:post reply

quote:

BUT...since I have that outlook, I get really irritated when people treat me like crap. Even if you have a bad job, show some dignity! It's not like acting like an ass is going to make your day any better...just the opposite, probably.

On the upside, exceptional customer service makes my day...especially since I see it so rarely.

Definitely agree with you there Polly. I had sales burnout from dealing with bad customers in order to make my commission. Now I am getting back in it and people really shouldn't unnecessarily need to be asses when the person is going all out of their way to make them happy.

Really rare to see good customer service now a days for sure.

quote:
I use to drink 151 too. Not exactly over a girl but in order to get to sleep. That puts me out pretty fast. Would I ever go back to drinking that? Yes, yes, I would. Shit burns but for some odd reason I like it.

Yeah seriously digital, I am not drinking over a girl ever again. I do not wish to wake up on my driveway wondering why I was missing a hubcap and throwup on the side of my door again. Funny evening though despite the bullshittery. Talk about quantum leap in the next dimension.

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Mon 20 Jul 00:51]

Digitalboy
635th Post

"Re(8):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Mon 20 Jul 04:42post reply

Guys who act tough in front of their girls.

I was at this packed live within a small venue where it was an open floor and everyone was standing up. I was standing in the very front and then the alcohol forced me to take a piss. So in order for me to get to the restroom I had to fight my way there because everyone and their mother did not want to move. After I pissed, I forgot that I had to get back. I tapped people on the shoulder to let them know I wanted to get through. Some moved and some ignored me. For those who ignored me I slid through them even if I had to bump them. Well there was this one guy, Caucasian male, looked like a tweeker in his late 30's to mid 40's that did not want to move. So I bumped him and his girl. He did not like that I bumped his girl, remember, it is really packed and she probably shifted a few inches to the side.

He started pushing me in his girlfriend's honor and wanted to fight me. I started to laugh at him because he was acting tough. It made him even angrier because I was too busy laughing than fighting him. Eventually his friends grabbed him and told him to stop. So weird.

Here is my point: if you are willing to fight someone just do it. If you push someone, you better follow it up with a punch. And NEVER EVER fight over a girl.
quote:

Definitely agree with you there Polly. I had sales burnout from dealing with bad customers in order to make my commission. Now I am getting back in it and people really shouldn't unnecessarily need to be asses when the person is going all out of their way to make them happy.

Really rare to see good customer service now a days for sure.

Yeah seriously digital, I am not drinking over a girl ever again. I do not wish to wake up on my driveway wondering why I was missing a hubcap and throwup on the side of my door again. Funny evening though despite the bullshittery. Talk about quantum leap in the next dimension.

Customer service in the human resource of the janitorial business that I am currently in blows. On my first day there, this disgruntle woman rolled her eyes at me while I was asking about a person's office. When she told me the room number of that person, I asked her in which direction would I go and she just repeated the room number again. At that point I just wanted to grab her with both hands and ask her "What the fuck is your problem? We are in this together!"

Catalyst: Maybe should drink together and look for women.

Iron D: While I was here we should have hung out and I would have the women coming to you.

Be fore warned: I am not at all shy about getting girls' attention and trying to talk to them.

I don't know how to live

Iron D
3237th Post

"Re(9):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Mon 20 Jul 06:28post reply

quote:

Iron D: While I was here we should have hung out and I would have the women coming to you.

Be fore warned: I am not at all shy about getting girls' attention and trying to talk to them.

Meanwhile, I pretty much am shy about getting women's attention. I don't tend to be comfortable with asking a girl out or even for that girl's number unless I've gotten to know them first. Of course, this often leads to the aforementioned "let's just be friends because I don't want to jeopardize the friendship we already have". Ugh.

As for the whole customer service thing, all I can say is that my years in retail are the primary reason why I believe that the majority of humanity is stupid, selfish and ignorant. That pretty much sums up how pissed off the customers, co-workers and management all left me feeling after working those hell-hole jobs.

Er.....

kofoguz
733th Post

"Re(3):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Mon 20 Jul 08:09post reply

quote:
My pet peeve is when people complain about me smoking on the sidewalk. Since you don't want me smoking in my residence, in bars or in diners now, I have no place left but the sidewalk! But I should probably quit because I'm poor now. Sad.

My other pet peeve is when people complain about mecomplaining about smoking on the sidewalk.Since you don't want me to breath fresh air in my residence, in bars or in diners nowfor ages, I have no place left but the sidewalk!

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
But its about to change cause the "no smoking" law is valid after tomorrow, 19th July.

End of Spoiler

Joke aside Grave you have no idea how tolerant I am to smokers (but I shouldnt be). But it drives me crazy someone lighting one without being polite and asking "Do you mind if I pollute your air while I'm poisoning myself?" I would say no problem. Believe me I always said that.

Also I hate my brothers take a smoke break near me, or worst; smoke while waking me up in the morning.

Evenor
696th Post

"Re(4):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Mon 20 Jul 08:50post reply

When I'm on a bus or taking shuttles around campus I really hate when people listen to their mp3 players at an absurd volume level. I go into a quiet rage till I can escape ( unless it's a song I like )

drink from me and live forever

Catalyst
456th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Mon 20 Jul 09:13post reply

quote:

Catalyst: Maybe should drink together and look for women.

You good sir would be an awesome drinking buddy. I am down for sure.

Grave
1183th Post

"Re(4):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Mon 20 Jul 13:02post reply

Nah kofoguz, I getcha! Even as a smoker the smell of stale indoor smoke pisses me off, but it goes hand in hand with drinking, which is why the smoking bans in basically every city and/or state I visit kind of rub me the wrong way. Also ruined a lot of the late night diner experience! Drink pot after pot of coffee and smoke cigarettes til the early AM, leave a 200% tip.

The outdoor thing, though, that's all we got! Though the times, they are a-changin'... taxes get higher, lungs get shittier, and I think it's about time for me to hang it up. Making a lot of other positive life changes now so it's not the worst timing!

And Evenor, you ever take Chinatown busses anywhere? The last time I was on the Fung Wah from NYC back to Boston, a guy in the row in front of me had this little laptop-like mp3 player with pretty powerful speakers... he starts blasting cantopop so loud that my buddy and I could barely have a conversation. It's not surprising though, Chinatown bus patrons seem to take rudeness to levels unheard of in non-bus environments! It's really quite fascinating as they push and shove to get on the bus even though we all have tickets.

Pollyanna
2725th Post

"Re(5):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Mon 20 Jul 18:28post reply

quote:
When I'm on a bus or taking shuttles around campus I really hate when people listen to their mp3 players at an absurd volume level. I go into a quiet rage till I can escape ( unless it's a song I like )

Guess all you can do is play your own music to drown them out. I used to hate going grocery shopping until I started bringing my iPod.

That reminds me, although it's not really a pet peeve, one time when I was at the grocery store, a guy came up to me and asked where I got my basket. There were people all over the store, several on the aisle we were on, and he asks the person with the GIANT HEADPHONES ON. I didn't mind, I thought it was funny, but...why!?

Giant headphones make a cute fashion accessory, by the way.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

kofoguz
734th Post

"Re(6):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Mon 20 Jul 21:02post reply

quote:

I dont know how fashionable you're wearing, but sometimes I giggle when I see someone talking via bluetooth device. Especially when they're talking passionately. Dont know why but even if they speak the same thing without the device they dont talk with a exxagerated face.

Grave its all for your goodness. Also I dont think any smoker would like what I complain about if they become the victim of the situation. I dont believe you would like someone's sudden smoke cloud on your face.

Tai-Pan
369th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 00:03post reply

quote:

The outdoor thing, though, that's all we got! Though the times, they are a-changin'... taxes get higher, lungs get shittier, and I think it's about time for me to hang it up. Making a lot of other positive life changes now so it's not the worst timing!

Every time I visit a big city, such as NY, I feel terrified about lighting up in the middle of the street.
It is time for me to quit already, but that won’t happen until I find something else to keep my dementia at bay. And I can’t seem to find any descent dojo here in Florida to keep me busy.
And even if I’m a smoker, I definitely HATE the smell of my clothes after two cigarettes.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

KTallguy
1118th Post

"Re(6):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 00:06post reply

quote:
That reminds me, although it's not really a pet peeve, one time when I was at the grocery store, a guy came up to me and asked where I got my basket. There were people all over the store, several on the aisle we were on, and he asks the person with the GIANT HEADPHONES ON. I didn't mind, I thought it was funny, but...why!?

Definitely trying to hit on you.

Oroch
1069th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(7):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 00:26post reply

quote:

I dont know how fashionable you're wearing, but sometimes I giggle when I see someone talking via bluetooth device. Especially when they're talking passionately. Dont know why but even if they speak the same thing without the device they dont talk with a exxagerated face.

that irritate me as well, i can't wait for the day subvocal mics and bone conduction becomes popular!

Catalyst
457th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 00:29post reply

quote:

Definitely trying to hit on you.

Yeah gotta agree with ktall unless you were like the closest person in the vicinity from where he was standing. Not saying it's bad but thumbs up either way ?

Iron D
3241th Post

"Re(8):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 04:09post reply

Another pet peeve: RAGE QUITTERS.

Er.....

exodus
4176th Post

"Re(9):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 07:45post reply

just about everything anybody does, but highest on the list:

chewing with one's mouth open/talking while eating

anything anyone does in a movie theatre aside from sit there

poor spelling

marketing speak

fat people who stand in the middle of an escalator/walk down the middle of the sidewalk so you can't get by them.

tourists

people who say they listen to "everything" when they really only listen to screamo, lady gaga, and kanye west.

the existence of frat boys

small talk in elevators

hmm, there are about a million things, so I'd better stop! there's a lot of stuff that annoys me, but I tend to keep it to myself.

Iron D
3243th Post

"Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 08:00post reply

quote:
people who say they listen to "everything" when they really only listen to screamo, lady gaga, and kanye west.

the existence of frat boys

I'm going to go with these two as well.

And by the way: I actually listen to everything...except country and J-pop.

Er.....

Grave
1187th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 08:09post reply

quote:

PET PEEVE ALERT

I hate hate hate hate HATE when people say they listen to "everything but country and rap"! And that's not QUITE what you did but it's close enough to send me into a violent rage! Every time some obnoxious white college girl says it I want to kick her in the neck. ARRRRGH. I don't like it when people are willing to write off entire genres because of their poor representation on the radio.

I think that was sodium talking. I should drink more water.

kofoguz
736th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 08:36post reply

quote:

PET PEEVE ALERT

I hate hate hate hate HATE when people say they listen to "everything but country and rap"! And that's not QUITE what you did but it's close enough to send me into a violent rage! Every time some obnoxious white college girl says it I want to kick her in the neck. ARRRRGH. I don't like it when people are willing to write off entire genres because of their poor representation on the radio.

I gotta agree with you. Also I listen whatever sounds nice that moment.

quote:
bad spelling

I don't have the perfect English -as Pollyanna says sometimes I be careful like I'm a grammar nazi, sometimes I don't care as if I'm the literature expert-, but when its come to Turkish, a mispronounciation would piss me of ridiculously. As a matter of fact I dumped my last lover because of mispronounciation of the word "gangster". I immediately thought; "thats it, no more future for us!"
J/k but it was a huge turn-off for me.

Also another pet peeve I guess, Ishmael was the one who brought this into conversation. Its about gaming to be seen something to quit when you are grown up. People has this conclusion drives me crazy, too. I didnt see anybody saying; "I'm over thirty now its time to be mature and realistic, I dont have time for movies".

Evenor
699th Post

"Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 08:48:post reply

quote:

Off topic - she is the closest thing to visual kei the world would ever tolerate. NO YOU CAN'T READ MY POKER FACE~

Edit: The smell of white cheddar popcorn makes my stomach churn. YUCK!!

drink from me and live forever

[this message was edited by Evenor on Tue 21 Jul 09:01]

exodus
4179th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 09:02post reply

quote:

Off topic - she is the closest thing to visual kei the world would ever tolerate. NO YOU CAN'T READ MY POKER FACE~

I feel that ihsahn and vintersorg are quite vk-like, but I don't think the world tolerates them, particularly.

I forgive grammar and spelling from non-natives quite readily. But americans who can't figure out how to type "your" variants properly just drive me up a wall.

I do, in fact, enjoy the odd rap and country song. I really do feel that I listen to nearly everything...cambodian 60s rock, afrobeat, black metal, modern thai pop, 40s country, noise, club music... I basically like specific groups within most arenas of music.

Grave
1188th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 09:05post reply

quote:
Edit: The smell of white cheddar popcorn makes my stomach churn. YUCK!!

A good whiff of that Smartfood shit will get a gag out of me. My first college roommate used to eat that shit constantly! So gross!

Iron D
3245th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 09:37post reply

quote:

PET PEEVE ALERT

Well as a recent college graduate I can safely say that I don't fall into the "White college girl" category. In fact, as a "Black college graduate" I'm almost the exact opposite.

And trust me, I don't write off entire genres based on radio representation. Hell, I barely listen to the radio anymore. For the most part, when I say I hate something, its because I have a fair amount of experience with it.

I also hate bad grammar; especially those who, as already mentioned, don't know the difference between there, their and they're (or to, two and too). I can definitely sympathize for those for whom English isn't their first language because, let's face it, English is a pretty arbitrary and oftentimes nonsensical language.

While we're on the subject of grammar, I hate it when people think they're kEwL cUz tEy tYpE lIkE tHis.

Er.....

Grave
1189th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 09:44post reply

Don't lie to me, you white college girl, you! You better cover your neck...

CUZ I'M COMING TO KICK IT!

...really? Not even, like, alt country? Not even Uncle Tupelo? That makes me sad. You have made me sad today, Iron D.

Maou
1730th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"me vs. I" , posted Tue 21 Jul 10:09:post reply

quote:
I also hate bad grammar; especially those who, as already mentioned, don't know the difference between there, their and they're (or to, two and too).
Uh oh, I thought I was going to make it through this thread without commenting, but this has reminded me: I cannot STAND seeing the possessive "its" mistakenly written as "it's." This kind of thing would make me doubt a person's literacy, yet I see it constantly. Not that hard when one notes that it's not "hi's" and "her's," for instance.

Even worse is that there appears to be a whole generation that does not understand that "if you have a question, please ask Jim or I" instead of "Jim or me" is a grammatical disaster. This grates on my ears like nothing else I have heard in the last decade (though the verbose and stupid use of "ask ___ or myself" is right up there). It appears to be a modern American abomination born out of the obessive correcting of children who colloquially say "Jim and me are going to the store" into "Jim and I." Unfortunately, it resulted in a bunch of insecure speakers who don't even understand when using "me" is correct. I want to suckerpunch these people, even when they're my friends....

...hoo-hah, Grave, pass the water.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 21 Jul 10:14]

kofoguz
737th Post

"Re(1):me vs. I" , posted Tue 21 Jul 10:20post reply

quote:

How about Grave and I would pass the water?

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's charm is there.

End of Spoiler

Maou
1730th Post

"Re(2):me vs. I" , posted Tue 21 Jul 10:23post reply

quote:
How about Grave and I would pass the water?

I'd freak out, but you're too charmingly mischievious.

Digitalboy
636th Post

"Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 12:13post reply

P-p-p-poker face, p-p-poker face
(Mum mum mum mah)
(Mum mum mum mah)
quote:
lady gaga

I don't know how to live

nobinobita
565th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 14:14post reply

quote:

muuuusic

I had a friend who worked at a record store, and over time he grew to really despise how all the customers consistently dressed to the style of music they listened to. Hip hop people dress hip hop, indie people dress indie, metal heads looked metal etc, everyone looked the part, and there were rarely any surprises. Day in and day out these patterns would bear down on him and slowly efface the very concepts of creativity and individual inclination.

As he was telling me this, a stranger overheard and decided to butt in saying "I think you're being small minded and stereotyping people too easily. I listen to hip hop but I also like Ween, can you tell that by looking at me?" My friend just flipped out and said "YES, you're a white man in his late 30s in the later stages of male pattern baldness wearing a printed T and snug blue jacket waiting in line to see a Miyazaki movie. You DO look like someone who feels entitled to interrupt me and tell me you like Ween AND rap music!"

That's not my pet Peeve, but I thought it was a fun one to share.

On a slightly related note this same friend was not one of those self important "i hate my job" types. He was always polite, and worked hard, and generally kept his disatisfaction in check with dignity (well, until that one guy inserted himself into our conversation).

Iron D
3246th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Tue 21 Jul 17:31post reply

quote:
Don't lie to me, you white college girl, you! You better cover your neck...

CUZ I'M COMING TO KICK IT!

...really? Not even, like, alt country? Not even Uncle Tupelo? That makes me sad. You have made me sad today, Iron D.

Well that raises a question for me: what the hell constitutes as "alternative country"? What is the difference between it and...um..."regular" country?

Another pet peeve: Blankas in Super Turbo/HD Remix who do nothing but j.short and throw.

Yet another pet peeve: those who continue to throw flames into the old school Final Fantasy vs. new school Final Fantasy debate (namely the 2d FFs vs. the 3d FFs). Why the hell can't I like both? Same goes for new school vs. old school Zelda debate.

Er.....

ONSLAUGHT
3842th Post

"Mmmhh..." , posted Tue 21 Jul 19:18post reply

quote:

Yet another pet peeve: those who continue to throw flames into the old school Final Fantasy vs. new school Final Fantasy debate (namely the 2d FFs vs. the 3d FFs). Why the hell can't I like both? Same goes for new school vs. old school Zelda debate.

I agree with you about the FF debate, it is pointless (even if FF VI is the best FF ever and FF XII is a piece of shit). But I disagree on the Zelda debate, since it is a legitimate one. 3D Zeldas are crap, souless, ugly bastardized versions of the 2D ones.

Ishmael
3531th Post

"Re(1):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 22 Jul 03:28post reply

quote:

I agree with you about the FF debate, it is pointless (even if FF VI is the best FF ever and FF XII is a piece of shit). But I disagree on the Zelda debate, since it is a legitimate one. 3D Zeldas are crap, souless, ugly bastardized versions of the 2D ones.

I agree that at some point the attempts to compare new games with their forebearers is meaningless. The changes in technology -and changes in players- means that what was done several years ago is probably not going to work now. While a player can judge how well a new game captures that nebulous "spirit" of the older games, at some point you have to view the new game as something unique unto itself.

This is true of all long running series except for Zelda. Those 3D Zeldas can go to hell.

Iron D
3247th Post

"Re(2):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 22 Jul 09:20post reply

quote:

I agree that at some point the attempts to compare new games with their forebearers is meaningless. The changes in technology -and changes in players- means that what was done several years ago is probably not going to work now. While a player can judge how well a new game captures that nebulous "spirit" of the older games, at some point you have to view the new game as something unique unto itself.

This is true of all long running series except for Zelda. Those 3D Zeldas can go to hell.

Damn. I'd say it seems like I'm the only one that likes that 3d Zeldas, but that would be short-sighted since they're generally well looked upon, both by critics and consumers. However, I can't say that I have a general preference; it's all good to me. However, I am curious as to why it is that you guys in particular don't like the 3d Zeldas.

I WOULD say that the 2d Genesis Sonics are pretty much preferred over anything post-Knuckles Chaotix, though. This is pretty much true across the board.

Er.....

Digitalboy
637th Post

"Re(3):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 22 Jul 10:03post reply

I like all Zelda games with the exception of the Phillips CD-i games too. You are not alone Iron D.

quote:

Damn. I'd say it seems like I'm the only one that likes that 3d Zeldas, but that would be short-sighted since they're generally well looked upon, both by critics and consumers. However, I can't say that I have a general preference; it's all good to me. However, I am curious as to why it is that you guys in particular don't like the 3d Zeldas.

Final Fantasy pet peeve: Everyone swears up and down that VII is the best out of the entire series.

It was good for it's time with the current development without actually pushing the system. If you asked me about the 8/16 bit era Final Fantasy: VI with IV coming in with a close margin. 32 bit era: IX, great character development, supporting cast and MOOGLES! 128 bit:...Voice actors caused me not want to play.

I don't know how to live

Maou
1733th Post

"Re(4):Mmmhh..." , posted Wed 22 Jul 10:14post reply

quote:
Final Fantasy pet peeve: Everyone swears up and down that VII is the best out of the entire series.
Luckily, the only people doing that are the ones who are literally crazy. Or who were new to the series and didn't know any better and who were subsequently too dumb to learn how to Junction. So, Gamefaqs, really. No need to listen to them, anyhow.

quote:
for it's time
uh oh

Grave
1191th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Wed 22 Jul 11:35post reply

NO, MAOU, DON'T DO IT! Digitalboy, it was a typo, wasn't it? It was a typo! Of course it was a typo. That's right, Maou. Breathe.

nobinobita, that story kills me. I would have died laughing if I were within earshot of that conversation.

quote:
Well that raises a question for me: what the hell constitutes as "alternative country"? What is the difference between it and...um..."regular" country?

I mean, the way I use the term, I'm referring to an entirely different sound than the obnoxious overproduced laying-on-fake-accents-super-heavy pop country, with more in the way of actual lyrical content other than "whoooaaa my dog died and I lost my hat" etc. There tends to be a lot more of a punk/rock aesthetic and no silly hats or boots.

Oh! And the 3D Zelda games really are awful! With the exception of Majora's Mask, which is a terribly interesting game running on a godawful engine. I don't know how Ocarina of Time still tops "best video game ever" lists when it wasn't even good when it came out. Time has not been kind to it! Wind Waker was a big improvement, a ridiculously good looking game too, I might add. The sailing that I liked so much in the beginning killed it late in the game for me as well. Twilight Princess plays as well as something that evolved from a turd like OoT can, and I liked the look of the game (minus that one ugly baby-child) a lot. Unfortunately the need to continue shoving an uninteresting plot in my face kept me from finishing that one as well.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I liked Zelda games much better when all you needed was a telepathic message to send you right into the action. No hours of boring tutorials, just enough plot to explain what's going on... yeah, that was ideal.

Digitalboy
638th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Wed 22 Jul 13:23post reply

Aww, man. I do not know what I just did and I do not like which direction this is headed. I am not retracting my statement so...I think I will just go hide and listen to Lady Gaga in the image bbs for a week until this blows over.

Thanks and sorry Grave.
quote:
NO, MAOU, DON'T DO IT! Digitalboy, it was a typo, wasn't it? It was a typo! Of course it was a typo. That's right, Maou. Breathe.

(Mum mum mum mah)
(Mum mum mum mah)

I don't know how to live

Iron D
3249th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Wed 22 Jul 17:03post reply

quote:

nobinobita, that story kills me. I would have died laughing if I were within earshot of that conversation.

I mean, the way I use the term, I'm referring to an entirely different sound than the obnoxious overproduced laying-on-fake-accents-super-heavy pop country, with more in the way of actual lyrical content other than "whoooaaa my dog died and I lost my hat" etc. There tends to be a lot more of a punk/rock aesthetic and no silly hats or boots.

Oh! And the 3D Zelda games really are awful! With the exception of Majora's Mask, which is a terribly interesting game running on a godawful engine. I don't know how Ocarina of Time still tops "best video game ever" lists when it wasn't even good when it came out. Time has not been kind to it! Wind Waker was a big improvement, a ridiculously good looking game too, I might add. The sailing that I liked so much in the beginning killed it late in the game for me as well. Twilight Princess plays as well as something that evolved from a turd like OoT can, and I liked the look of the game (minus that one ugly baby-child) a lot. Unfortunately the need to continue shoving an uninteresting plot in my face kept me from finishing that one as well.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but I liked Zelda games much better when all you needed was a telepathic message to send you right into the action. No hours of boring tutorials, just enough plot to explain what's going on... yeah, that was ideal.

The games were fun, the challenge level was nice and even, the music was for the most part great and the graphics for each of the games were good for their time. What the hell is there not to like? The stories for each weren't the greatest ever or anything, but I don't even recall ANY Zelda game really delivering in the story department.

You guys sure your not just being ruled by nostalgia? How do you feel about the more recent 2d Zeldas (Minish Cap, Oracles, etc.).

Er.....

Grave
1192th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Wed 22 Jul 17:37post reply

Wind Waker had a lot of fun to it! What I played of Twilight Princess had a decent amount (fighting on horseback was something I wanted since OoT), though not enough to hold me. Ocarina of Time? No. Never. Boring. I found it so dull that I went to get the Biggoron Sword, which was also dull, and when I had that damn thing there was nothing fun to do with it. The combat was clunky and bad, and while things are definitely better in Twilight Princess, they're still not great. They really need a new format for 3D Zeldas.

I don't know why people maintain that it was graphically acceptable at any time, either. Maybe for an N64 game, it looked good... but the N64's inability to display textures that didn't appear like they were covered in vaseline always revolted me. I would have taken chunky, jaggy Saturn 3D or the super PS1 3D over it any day. Also, keep in mind that the Dreamcast came out in Japan the week that Ocarina of Time did. Hell, if you had a PC, you were playing better looking games for a few years beforehand! That blurry shit didn't impress me back then, and people maintaining that it holds up today are completely and utterly delusional. I feel like the fans of this game have been experiencing some kind of decade-long mass hallucination and I'm really upset that I missed the dosing of whatever it is you guys got. I feel like I could have had a lot of fun.

My point regarding the story is that they shouldn't bother to give any kind of significant time in the game if it's going to be crap. It has been crap. They need to deliver adventure and fun! Cut down the major characters! That's part of what I like so much about the way Link to the Past did it. You can't argue that the game doesn't have a plot, because it does... but it's simple enough to be totally irrelevant to the action if you chose to ignore it. Does it matter that those are maidens of blah blah blah in those crystals? Not so much. You can tell from the menu screen that you need to get them and they're in the temples. If the story's going to shove gameplay flow aside, then chuck it. I wish they would. Fans trying to figure out some kind of chronology... no! Stop!

The music, though. I'll give you the music. Shit's consistently been great. Ocarina had some great tunes, so did everything else since.

While I haven't played Minish Cap or anything portable post-GBC, I can tell you that it's not nostalgia ruining things because plenty of Nintendo series have been good since the N64 era and onward. Loved Mario 64, kind of ehhh on Sunshine, Galaxy was absolutely fantastic. New Super Mario Bros, while offensive from a visual standpoint, was a lot of fun to play. I thought SSBB was great fanservice if nothing else. Both GBA Metroid titles were great, and though the Prime series felt like gross canon-fanfiction, the gameplay was quite good. I don't dislike Nintendo after the 16-bit era, not in the least. It's just 3D Zelda. They need work.

I have a very high sodium diet. I should work on this.

Iron D
3250th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Wed 22 Jul 22:16post reply

quote:
Wind Waker had a lot of fun to it! What I played of Twilight Princess had a decent amount (fighting on horseback was something I wanted since OoT), though not enough to hold me. Ocarina of Time? No. Never. Boring. I found it so dull that I went to get the Biggoron Sword, which was also dull, and when I had that damn thing there was nothing fun to do with it. The combat was clunky and bad, and while things are definitely better in Twilight Princess, they're still not great. They really need a new format for 3D Zeldas.

I don't know why people maintain that it was graphically acceptable at any time, either. Maybe for an N64 game, it looked good... but the N64's inability to display textures that didn't appear like they were covered in vaseline always revolted me. I would have taken chunky, jaggy Saturn 3D or the super PS1 3D over it any day. Also, keep in mind that the Dreamcast came out in Japan the week that Ocarina of Time did. Hell, if you had a PC, you were playing better looking games for a few years beforehand! That blurry shit didn't impress me back then, and people maintaining that it holds up today are completely and utterly delusional. I feel like the fans of this game have been experiencing some kind of decade-long mass hallucination and I'm really upset that I missed the dosing of whatever it is you guys got. I feel like I could have had a lot of fun.

My point regarding the story is that they shouldn't bother to give any kind of significant time in the game if it's going to be crap. It has been crap. They need to deliver adventure and fun! Cut down the major characters! That's part of what I like so much about the way Link to the Past did it. You can't argue that the game doesn't have a plot, because it does... but it's simple enough to be totally irrelevant to the action if you chose to ignore it. Does it matter that those are maidens of blah blah blah in those crystals? Not so much. You can tell from the menu screen that you need to get them and they're in the temples. If the story's going to shove gameplay flow aside, then chuck it. I wish they would. Fans trying to figure out some kind of chronology... no! Stop!

The music, though. I'll give you the music. Shit's consistently been great. Ocarina had some great tunes, so did everything else since.

While I haven't played Minish Cap or anything portable post-GBC, I can tell you that it's not nostalgia ruining things because plenty of Nintendo series have been good since the N64 era and onward. Loved Mario 64, kind of ehhh on Sunshine, Galaxy was absolutely fantastic. New Super Mario Bros, while offensive from a visual standpoint, was a lot of fun to play. I thought SSBB was great fanservice if nothing else. Both GBA Metroid titles were great, and though the Prime series felt like gross canon-fanfiction, the gameplay was quite good. I don't dislike Nintendo after the 16-bit era, not in the least. It's just 3D Zelda. They need work.

I have a very high sodium diet. I should work on this.

Well, I CAN agree with you on the graphics. I guess a better way to put my statement would have been, it looked good for a N64 game, because I too would rather be looking at the crap 3d os PS1 or even Saturn. BUT, I have to say that after going back and looking at the original N64 version, it doesn't look as bad now as I was expecting it too.

However, about OoT being boring...well to each their own. I didn't find it boring in the slightest, as it had a slow start but picked up pretty quickly. Then again, there aren't many adventure games that don't have a slow start.

Er.....

kofoguz
740th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Wed 22 Jul 23:14:post reply

quote:
Zelda talk, Final Fantasy talk.

I know where this heading slowly so I will bring the Subject right away.

What's your pet peeve about...

....Castlevania?

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Thu 23 Jul 01:03]

Maou
1735th Post

"Re: What is your pet Peeves the Poltergeist?" , posted Wed 22 Jul 23:21:post reply

quote:
kofoguz's mad experiment

Hohohoh, it had been almost five threads since last time! Pet peeve about Dracula series is: Demon Software Dracula XX, of course! Or, in keeping with the Zelda discussion above, another peeve is Konami's complete inability to translate the series to 3D while also denying the proper staff to make a non-handheld 2D sequel, leaving us with 3D hell and halfassed Nocturne/SOTN clones.

edit: Oh, other pet peeve: the English name Castlevania.

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 22 Jul 23:22]

Amakusa
809th Post

"Re(2):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 00:23post reply

quote:

That's pretty darn rude, demanding a thank you. No wonder they're giving you the finger.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

kofoguz
739th Post

"Re(1):Re: What is your pet Peeves the Polterg" , posted Thu 23 Jul 00:53post reply

quote:
kofoguz's mad experiment

I would like to say that was joke but I tried to google and check if it corrects me;

did you mean: Castlevania?...

But it didnt, so I guess google wasnt a good idea for a spell check. Oh, well.
I'm editing

Maou
1736th Post

"Re(2):Re: What is your pet Peeves the Polterg" , posted Thu 23 Jul 01:03:post reply

quote:
kofoguz's mad experiment

I would like to say that was joke but I tried to google and check if it corrects me;

I'm editing

Oh, don't mind me, I just meant that I can't stand the name CV in general, whether it's vania or venia.

edit: fixed for great justice

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 23 Jul 01:12]

kofoguz
740th Post

"Re(3):Re: What is your pet Peeves the Polterg" , posted Thu 23 Jul 01:07post reply

quote:
whehter, whehter, whehter, whehter

I'm a jerk like that :p

End of Spoiler

Ishmael
3532th Post

"Re(3):Re: What is your pet Peeves the Polterg" , posted Thu 23 Jul 01:16post reply

quote:
kofoguz's mad experiment

I'm editing
Oh, don't mind me, I just meant that I can't stand the name CV in general, whether it's vania or venia.

edit: fixed for great justice

I'm waiting for the game Castleveina, where Dracula has to deal with the spidery, blue varicose veins on his legs. That alabaster vampire skin may be striking but it must be impossible to hide even the smallest imperfection.

exodus
4187th Post

"Re(4):Re: What is your pet Peeves the Polterg" , posted Thu 23 Jul 01:31post reply

quote:
That alabaster vampire skin may be striking but it must be impossible to hide even the smallest imperfection.

it's true.

Maou
1736th Post

"Re(4):Re: What is your pet Peeves the Polterg" , posted Thu 23 Jul 02:34post reply

quote:

I'm waiting for the game Castleveina, where Dracula has to deal with the spidery, blue varicose veins on his legs. That alabaster vampire skin may be striking but it must be impossible to hide even the smallest imperfection.

I would like to revive or alter the phrase Masterposter, remove it of all its negative connotations now that Beto is gone, and use it to bestow the highest honor upon Ishmael's posts.

Ishmael
3533th Post

"Re(5):Re: What is your pet Peeves the Polterg" , posted Thu 23 Jul 04:23post reply

quote:
I would like to revive or alter the phrase Masterposter, remove it of all its negative connotations now that Beto is gone, and use it to bestow the highest honor upon Ishmael's posts.

That's nice of you to say but the occasional smart aleck response does not make for a Masterposter. Beto will live on in our hearts forever until someone else can rise [sink?] to the incredible standard he set.

Besides, I screw up "its/it's" too much.

Maou
1737th Post

"Re(6):Re: What is your pet Peeves the Polterg" , posted Thu 23 Jul 04:35post reply

quote:
the occasional smart aleck response does not make for a Masterposter. Beto will live on in our hearts forever

THE LEGEND WILL NEVER DIE

exodus
4191th Post

"Re(7):Re: What is your pet Peeves the Polterg" , posted Thu 23 Jul 04:43post reply

THE LEGEND WILL OCCASIONALLY GET SICK ON ITSELF AND HAVE TO LIE DOWN

Juke Joint Jezebel
3659th Post

"Re(1):What is your pet peeve?" , posted Fri 21 Aug 13:21post reply

i hate nerd rage

oh wait