Dragon Quest IX? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2101 Views )

Maou
1718th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 16 Jul 03:45post reply

Has no one played Dragon Quest IX yet? I'm still about five DS games behind and can't wait to play through IV and V, but seeing as how IX came out five days ago, I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions on it. I'm impressed but not surprised that Amazon Japan has garnered more than 800 reviews of the game only to come up with 2.5 stars, but I guess this is what happens when you don't give players any party members that aren't shells or online players. But maybe someone likes it better?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Replies:

Iggy
8943th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 16 Jul 04:45post reply

I already lost 2 friends to it.

Thankfully, I don't think anyone around me plays Monster Hunter, because that would be cruel.

And since everyone can get a turn, I'm already preparing my relatives for the time when I'll be MIA when Saga2 will get released in a few month.

Maou
1719th Post

"Re(2):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 16 Jul 05:11post reply

Lost friends over arguments about it being good/bad, or lost them because they're always playing?

quote:
Saga2 will get released in a few month.

Sa, SaGa!? 邪悪なる力が再び現世に舞い戻ろうとしている。 人はまたそのあやまちを繰り返そうとしているのか...(FFVI)

Iggy
8944th Post

"Re(3):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 16 Jul 05:17post reply

quote:
Lost friends over arguments about it being good/bad, or lost them because they're always playing?

The later. It feels like FFXI all over again.

And shut up. Saga 2 has been made for only one person in the entire world: me.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
And Nintendo so they get another pigeon to buy their stupid DSi.

End of Spoiler

Maou
1720th Post

"Re(4):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 16 Jul 05:22post reply

Interesting! I still cry for the fact that my excursion through IX shall be lonely and pointless when I finally play it three years later after everyone is already done with it. It's bad enough not to have anyone to co-cheer with in Ouendan anymore...

quote:
Saga 2 has been made for only one person in the entire world: me.
Heheheheh. 必殺技:DSi特典版絶対購入!

Iggy
8945th Post

"Re(5):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 16 Jul 05:36post reply

quote:
必殺技:DSi特典版絶対購入!

It's super effective!

Maou
1722th Post

"Re(6):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 16 Jul 05:38:post reply

quote:
必殺技:DSi特典版絶対購入!

It's super effective!

Well, for one thing, its hit box is very forgiving if you target the right characters.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 16 Jul 05:38]

Pollyanna
2719th Post

"Re(7):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 16 Jul 10:09post reply

The game just came out, so maybe people are either too busy to have played it much or too busy playing to talk about it?

I had the fortune (?) of being very sick the other day, which happened to be the day I got the game...so I've played a bit.

Let me start by saying that I'm not a DQ fan. I've played all the games...I liked the PS2 DQV remake fairly well and I think DQVII is (probably) a masterpiece. I love the soundtracks. DQVIII didn't do anything for me. Also, I just finished Arc Rise Fantasia, which I liked so much I told myself to not play any other RPGs for a while afterward.

So I dunno how "valid" my opinion is, but...

I think the game is kind of boring, but extremely addictive. Even in tiny 10 minute increments, I can't stop myself from playing. I've been busy with work the last 2 days, but any time I have a second of down time I play DQ.

That being said, it does a really good job of delivering a lot of little joys. Getting a new weapon...a new accessory...finishing a little quest...getting a new drop item to use in the alchemy pot...playing with your costumes...there's always something fun to do.

So far the game has been stupidly easy, but on the upside that allows for more freedom with costumes (wearing something you want to see rather than something practical) and classes/skills. Maybe it gets tougher later? The battles have been boring, but the customization surrounding them has been rewarding.

Even though it's a big step down from DQVIII, I like the way the game looks, too. The characters and enemies have a lot of animations and the environments have quite a bit of personality all things considered. The FMV looks especially good...the opening animation (the one that plays about an hour into the game) is one of the best, if not the best plot-related FMV I've seen in a game.

On the downside, the story is sometimes charming, but overall bland, and things often feel kind of unnecessarily sluggish. For example, while it doesn't look bad to have the characters run around in battle, sometimes they get "stuck" and kind of just...run in circles while everyone else watches. I imagine they had the characters move around to simulate a "real" battle a little better, but the seemingly random running kind of kills that. Also, when a mage uses a staff, they drain MP from the enemy. This appears as a blue number over their head like any other time you drain in any other game...only this time, after that, the fight totally stops for a second or two shows a closeup on the mage and tells you how many MP you just drained, as if you couldn't see for yourself. There are also a number of time-eating jingles and unnecessary text notices that slow down processes that aren't much fun to deal with in the first place.

Speaking of jingles, I find the soundtrack barely tolerable. The opening theme (not the main DQ theme, but the one from the cinema I mentioned before) was really nice, but the majority of the songs are either immediately annoying or initially charming, then annoying a few minutes later. I especially dislike the battle themes. I'm considering putting DQ music on my iPod and playing it while I'm playing the game.

So...yeah...I guess if DQ was something spiritual to me, maybe I would be disappointed, but looking at it as another DS RPG, it's a great game.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Amakusa
805th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 16 Jul 12:24post reply

quote:
I'm impressed but not surprised that Amazon Japan has garnered more than 800 reviews of the game only to come up with 2.5 stars, but I guess this is what happens when you don't give players any party members that aren't shells or online players.

I heard this was a concerted effort by a Japanese board to bring down the rating as a protest.

Anyway, as I just finished playing Dragon Quest V recently (quite possibly now my favorite in the series... well, no, I still favor Dragon Quest III over everything), I can't say I'm all that impressed with how it looks. I seriously hope it plays better than it looks.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

nobinobita
558th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 16 Jul 23:05post reply

quote:

Anyway, as I just finished playing Dragon Quest V recently (quite possibly now my favorite in the series... well, no, I still favor Dragon Quest III over everything), I can't say I'm all that impressed with how it looks. I seriously hope it plays better than it looks.

I was hoping they'd stick to their original plans and make it realtime so we'd have DragonQuester Hunter.

Still looks cool though. Gotta love those graphics.

Maou
1723th Post

"Re(2):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Fri 17 Jul 00:23:post reply

quote:
I heard this was a concerted effort by a Japanese board to bring down the rating as a protest.
Entirely possible...though the first four pages or so of reviews seemed to be legit, at least. Well, except for the guy who only wrote "Admit you're wrong, Squenix, if monsters are already visible on the field it's totally not exciting if Metal Slime or Stray Metal show up" and gave it three stars. But then, I kind of like this review, too.

The real test of course is to go to Book Off and check the prices...like, when FFXII was selling there for 3000Y three months after it came out, it was probably a sign that real-life people didn't think it was any fun, either.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 17 Jul 00:24]

karasu99
174th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Fri 17 Jul 07:20post reply

quote:

So then would you say that DQV is better than IV? I've been thinking of picking up one of those lately and I can't decide which one.

I kindof like that DQIX is on the DS-- I chronically underplay RPG's if they're not on a portable since I rarely have enough time to sit down in front of the television and play one on a console-- by the time 100K cutscenes play out, you read 10 pages of text, etc. the time I had set aside to play has expired. Portable RPGs are so much more conducive to playing 10 minutes at a time.

Amakusa
807th Post

"Re(3):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Fri 17 Jul 11:36post reply

quote:

So then would you say that DQV is better than IV? I've been thinking of picking up one of those lately and I can't decide which one.

Keeping in mind that the last time I played IV was probably fifteen years ago (I don't have the DS version), yeah, I think it's way better. I would've thought I'd be long past the point where some RPG could get me to care enough about some things that happen in it, and then I played V and suddenly you get married and have kids. I think it was just one of those things in the game that probably appealed to some inner need in all of us.

But, to be perfectly honest, you should play both of them. Even though I lob heaps of praise on V now, IV is still a very worthy game.

KTallguy
1113th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sat 18 Jul 02:22post reply

I am playing DQ5 right now and it is pretty good, but I'm only at the beginning. Apparently it gets into some really serious stuff early on, and I am very interested in seeing where it turns up.

Only thing I wonder about is the fact that apparently DQ5 is all about monster training. Hopefully it's fun.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

Ishmael
3528th Post

"Re(8):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sat 18 Jul 04:29post reply

quote:

Let me start by saying that I'm not a DQ fan. I've played all the games...

Apropos of nothing, this reminds me of the time a friend of mine stated that he didn't find the movie Zoolander funny until the third time he watched it. Most people would only sit through a movie they didn't enjoy once but he stuck with that bad boy for three viewings until he finally warmed up to it. Then again, I was recently eyeing a cheap copy of MGS4 even though I have an unfinished copy of MGS3 still lying around the house so who am I to judge the lengths people will go in order to sift out entertainment?

karasu99
175th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sat 18 Jul 08:13post reply

quote:

Apropos of nothing, this reminds me of the time a friend of mine stated that he didn't find the movie Zoolander funny until the third time he watched it. Most people would only sit through a movie they didn't enjoy once but he stuck with that bad boy for three viewings until he finally warmed up to it. Then again, I was recently eyeing a cheap copy of MGS4 even though I have an unfinished copy of MGS3 still lying around the house so who am I to judge the lengths people will go in order to sift out entertainment?

Well... I exhibit similar behavior myself-- I'll likely as not buy BOTH DQ IV and V, only to play about 1/3 of the way through both. I'm chronically bad about leaving RPG's unfinished, since they take so damned long to play.

Anyway, thanks for the info about IV and V. My experience with the series has been limited to VIII, and I'm the world's only living video game aficionado who also can't stand Toriyama's art, so I'm hoping that the gorgeous pixel art in these older games will charm me.

Pollyanna
2720th Post

"Re(9):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sat 18 Jul 08:42post reply

I'm sad that people don't get to experience the PS2 DQV. The soundtrack is worth the price of admission in itself. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a CD version of it. I bought the Symphonic Suite, but that's the old arrange and it's not the full soundtrack...

I have decided that DQIX must be a great game because it's all I want to do with myself anymore and I don't even know why.

quote:

Sounds like me with SaGa games. Ohhh the suffering they've caused me...and yet I always come back for more.

But with DQ...it's like...when a new DQ game comes out, I buy it...and I...probably enjoy it. But I wouldn't call myself a FAN. A fan would have expectations...they would have a countdown. They would complain about changes, where I wouldn't even notice them.

My mom is a DQ fan. She's probably played DQ8 for over 500 hours. I got a DQ cellphone strap and little...keychain thing for her in Japan (those were her souvenirs, sadly enough). One of them was one of those randomly packaged things where you don't know which keychain you're getting until you open it. Anyway, it was some random monster and she exploded with all this information about it. "It likes this...it doesn't like this...it trips and falls when it does this...etc. etc." Although I had played more DQ games than her, my only response to the thing was "I think I vaguely remember fighting that at some point."

I feel like I only have so many "fan tickets" to hand out and I take them back sometimes as well. Right now, I think they belong to Megaten, King of Fighters and Monster Hunter. Everything else, I just like.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Amakusa
808th Post

"Re(5):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sat 18 Jul 16:09post reply

quote:

Only thing I wonder about is the fact that apparently DQ5 is all about monster training. Hopefully it's fun.

It's not really that big of a deal; monsters are pretty much like having another party member. Obviously some of them are stronger than others, and some of them are harder to obtain than others (I only recently got a Great Dragon last week by pure luck, as opposed to you're practically guaranteed to get a Slime or a Dracky). For the most part, though, you really need their help until you get enough humans available so you could phase them all out if you really wanted.

KTallguy
1114th Post

"Re(6):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sat 18 Jul 17:00post reply

Wow at Pollyanna's mom.

And I need to play more DQ5... I'm too busy at work though, ugh.

karasu99
176th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Wed 22 Jul 00:39post reply

So I went ahead and bought both-- I had trouble finding IV at my local retailers so I ordered it, and bought V off the shelf. From what everyone has said, playing V should be fine, since the stories aren't related at all in any significant way, right?

And... V is great! I've played through the second 'dungeon' and I'm starting on the third, and I've enjoyed it quite a bit.

I suppose the best term I can find to describe the game is that it's 'charming'. It's enjoyable in a completely different way from something like Final Fantasy IV, which is honestly the only game I can really compare it to here. For example, something like when you...

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
seemingly meet your future self in the village shortly after finishing the second dungeon (I'm guessing that's the case since I don't know for sure that it's really my future self at this point).

End of Spoiler

I can't imagine that being done in a Final Fantasy game, since they always end up being so much more 'cosmic', even early on. Plus the monster design is often slanted toward the silly, which is a little refreshing.

So yeah, a great, charming game. Hopefully I'll manage to actually finish it!

exodus
4181th Post

"Re(8):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Wed 22 Jul 02:55post reply

I'm going to not play this, as the first hour of every DQ I've tried has completely turned me off.

what do I win?

Maou
1731th Post

"Re(9):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Wed 22 Jul 03:45post reply

quote:
I'm going to not play this, as the first hour of every DQ I've tried has completely turned me off.

what do I win?

You get to play Final Nomura XIII forever instead! Congraturation!

exodus
4184th Post

"Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Wed 22 Jul 04:08post reply

quote:

You get to play Final Nomura XIII forever instead! Congraturation!

dang. that is a not fun option.
I am playing devil survivor though, my first SMT game ever!

Pollyanna
2726th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Wed 22 Jul 07:20post reply

quote:
what do I win?

Hours and hours of free time. Congraturation.

quote:

I am playing devil survivor though, my first SMT game ever!

That's kind of like...KOF:Kyo being your first KOF game or maybe Luigi's Mansion being your first Mario? Wait...Devil Survivor wasn't actually called "SMT" in Japan, so it's more like Final Fantasy Legend being your first Final Fantasy. So...no congraturation on that one.

Not that I'm saying you should try playing a different "SMT", mind you...

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

exodus
4188th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 01:38post reply

quote:
That's kind of like...KOF:Kyo being your first KOF game or maybe Luigi's Mansion being your first Mario? Wait...Devil Survivor wasn't actually called "SMT" in Japan, so it's more like Final Fantasy Legend being your first Final Fantasy. So...no congraturation on that one.

it's also the first one I could really play on a handheld, so it was the most likely option. It's completely implausible for me to spend 40-60 hours in front of a console to finish one game. It just won't happen. But on a handheld, that's another story, as I can play whilst commuting.

I know it's not an "official" smt, but it's got the M in it at least! I do wish that the music and battle art weren't so boring, but otherwise I'm enjoying it. And of course, when Persona comes to PSP in These United States, I will play that.

KTallguy
1120th Post

"Re(8):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 01:43post reply

quote:
I suppose the best term I can find to describe the game is that it's 'charming'.

Took the words right out of my mouth. DQ has always had that charming feel to it. I really have to be in the mood for it, but I can appreciate it.

exodus, DQ5 actually has a proper story, it seems. I tried 7 many years ago and was completely turned off at the beginning by the horrible fetch quests and very slow to start gameplay. DQ5 at least starts off sort of exciting, with lots of premonition for events to come. Not saying you'll be convinced, but at least it's on a handheld! :)

exodus
4189th Post

"Re(9):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 02:11post reply

yeahhhhhhh I already got rid of my copy after trying IV and then looking at the rather unappealing squashed graphics next to the boasts of extremely long gameplay on the back of the box.

IV's localization drove me nuts, and I don't like toriyama's art at all, so I gave up before I started.

nobinobita
568th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 05:15:post reply

quote:

IV's localization drove me nuts, and I don't like toriyama's art at all, so I gave up before I started.

I can't play most current gen games for this reason. Can't get into the art.

Graphics are important!

Playing a game with disagreable art is like watching a movie full of actors that you hate, or listening to music where the singers voice is really grating.

I'm curious, what's the last game that made you think "wow, this game has nice art!" ?

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 23 Jul 05:19]

karasu99
177th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 05:32post reply

quote:
Took the words right out of my mouth. DQ has always had that charming feel to it. I really have to be in the mood for it, but I can appreciate it.

exodus, DQ5 actually has a proper story, it seems. I tried 7 many years ago and was completely turned off at the beginning by the horrible fetch quests and very slow to start gameplay. DQ5 at least starts off sort of exciting, with lots of premonition for events to come. Not saying you'll be convinced, but at least it's on a handheld! :)

I've heard some of the best as well as the worst things in relation to the DQ series leveled against DQVII, so I'm hesitant to ever give it a try.

quote:
yeahhhhhhh I already got rid of my copy after trying IV and then looking at the rather unappealing squashed graphics next to the boasts of extremely long gameplay on the back of the box.

Well, I can't stand Toriyama either, but his art here is much less obvious than in Chrono Trigger, so that I only occasionally notice it. I can't really speak to the localization, knowing what amounts to 'SNK fighter Japanese', and the days when I bothered to read or even glance at packaging are looong behind me. What brought me to DQ in the first place is that I had heard tell that they are a somewhat different take on jrpg's, which I've found V to be, at least.

Maou
1738th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 05:47post reply

quote:
What brought me to DQ in the first place is that I had heard tell that they are a somewhat different take on jrpg's
To be fair, they are THE take on Japanese RPG's, given that they represent the beginning, and with IV and V, the evolution to stories, to boot.

I think that Rogers did a couple of good articles on what makes these games so appealing to many people, too. Here's one on V, and the one on VIII also has a good section on V in the beginning. ToastyFrog Parish does a nice job here and here, too.

exodus
4192th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 06:12post reply

quote:

I'm curious, what's the last game that made you think "wow, this game has nice art!" ?

you mean a modern game, right? because I have lots of examples of "wow, they did that with THIS hardware?"

I'd say muramasa, SF III, Ico, those all impressed me at the time (muramasa is contemporary, so).

Otherwise, I can certainly point to aspects I like, such as BioShock's production design, The Unfinished Swan's spare world...

actually come to think of it, lots of indies impress me. the misadventures of p.b. winterbottom, everything by amanita design, blueberry garden, etc.

chazumaru
675th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 07:36post reply

Speaking of Bioshock, I am convinced it influenced Kaneko for the (wonderful) outfit designs and general "retro Sci-Fi" atmosphere of the new Megaten game shown in this week's Famitsu.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

KTallguy
1121th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 07:49post reply

The last game that made me go "wow this game has nice art" is Demon's Souls.

It has got this totally oppressive, Diablo 1 style artwork, with some gore when it needs to. I really like the look and design of the enemies in the game, they take some generic designs and give them a lot of life with good animation and small touches here and there. Some of the bosses are Shadow of the Colossus style huge, and I like the designs for all of them. I also really like the armor and weapon designs, and the attack animations.

The environments impressed me the most though. Some of them are very beautiful, and some of them are just ugly as sin, but in a way that made me feel: "Jesus, I'm so disgusted and feel so oppressed, I'm not sure I want to go any further". They made me feel exactly how the protagonist must feel slogging through swamps made of god knows what.

Technically, there are a lot of problems with the engine, such as the lack of shadows and AA, and some silly ragdoll effects that can break the mood. But I was enjoying myself too much to notice.

Maou
1739th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 08:01post reply

quote:

It has got this totally oppressive, Diablo 1 style artwork, with some gore when it needs to. I really like the look and design of the enemies in the game, they take some generic designs and give them a lot of life with good animation and small touches here and there. Some of the bosses are Shadow of the Colossus style huge, and I like the designs for all of them. I also really like the armor and weapon designs, and the attack animations.

The environments impressed me the most though. Some of them are very beautiful, and some of them are just ugly as sin, but in a way that made me feel: "Jesus, I'm so disgusted and feel so oppressed, I'm not sure I want to go any further". They made me feel exactly how the protagonist must feel slogging through swamps made of god knows what.

Technically, there are a lot of problems with the engine, such as the lack of shadows and AA, and some silly ragdoll effects that can break the mood. But I was enjoying myself too much to notice.

Discussion of Dragon Quest and visual design in the same thread? I love the Cafe!

For my most recent "wow's" in response to game art are the usual refrain from me: flOwer, Colossus, flOwer, Wish Room/Hotel Dusk, flOwer, Braid, flOwer, and flOwer. Since I'm still bumbling through Wish Room and love graphic adventures, I'd say I'm especially stuck on its outstanding black-and-white style (or is there a better word for it, nobi?) and animation-frame style art.

exodus
4193th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 08:06post reply

quote:

huh, I didn't have that feeling at all, to me it seemed really generic (and more than that, clunky). There's always been something mythically interesting to me about Tower of Druaga-style clunky games, but it's more of a "why do people like this?" fascination than anything else.

I played it a bit at E3, and came away feeling pretty certain it would bomb. The graphics didn't really do it for me either. curious!!

Pollyanna
2727th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 10:05post reply

You guys gotta remember that Brandon doesn't like traditional RPGs. (Unless something has changed?)

I love that I actually have a lot to say about DQIX now, but the thread has derailed so much that if I said it, it would be like I was talking to myself.

A few quick things...

I thought Demon's Souls looked kind of generic at first, but once I saw more of it I began to appreciate its kind of...bleak look. The game has already beat the odds by gaining as much attention as it has.

I think DQVII is the "best" in the series, although I'm enjoying DQIX much more on the whole. I'm enjoying DQIX SO much that I'm trying to devise a way to play it WHILE I'm working. Not going well.

But yeah...to me, DQVII is a real epic with a lot of extremely clever ideas and a tremendous amount of challenge. It's traditional and daring at the same time. It's just...a little painful to play here and there.

I have mixed feelings about the new SMT, but I don't want to get into that in this thread.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

KTallguy
1122th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 10:23post reply

Demon's Souls is a weird beast. I thought it looked clunky too at first (and at E3), but it's one of those games that looks not-fun to play if someone is not good at it. Once you get good at it, the action is pretty great, with great backstab kills and all.

Also I can completely understand why someone would think it feels generic, and the first area sort of gives off that vibe, but as you continue and more areas are unlocked, it starts to shine more.

It definitely stands out in a sea of shooters....uhh sorry, this is a DQ thread right? I need to play more DQ5 but I'm playing Okami instead when I have an hour at home before bed, talk about unique visual design choices... oh crap changing the topic again!

Amakusa
810th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 12:27post reply

quote:

I think DQVII is the "best" in the series, although I'm enjoying DQIX much more on the whole. I'm enjoying DQIX SO much that I'm trying to devise a way to play it WHILE I'm working. Not going well.

But yeah...to me, DQVII is a real epic with a lot of extremely clever ideas and a tremendous amount of challenge. It's traditional and daring at the same time. It's just...a little painful to play here and there.

That's pretty much why I can't ever say that DQVII is anywhere near the 'best' in the series. It had a lot of neat ideas, but it carried out some of them in such a ridiculous and tedious way that I can't stomach the thought of playing the game a second time (I've played through DQIII at least five times). But then, even then the game was still pretty memorable; the town with all the people turned to statues by the grey cloud (which you end up destroying later in the game) is the one I always remember.

karasu99
178th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Thu 23 Jul 12:27post reply

quote:

I love that I actually have a lot to say about DQIX now, but the thread has derailed so much that if I said it, it would be like I was talking to myself.

No, please do! I want to hear all about IX, now that I'm officially an aficionado of the series. I just didn't expect that the talk of IV and V would take off so.

exodus
4195th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Fri 24 Jul 01:32post reply

quote:
You guys gotta remember that Brandon doesn't like traditional RPGs. (Unless something has changed?)

well, it hasn't totally changed, but I do appreciate mid-period traditional RPGs, having finally beaten chrono trigger, and the super bland Brave Story, which was nostalgaic enough for me to get through. I also would've beaten the DS version of FFIII if someone hadn't stolen it. I got pretty far in Crisis Core too, though it's ultimately a bit boring.

For me, it's more about the graphics and the story, which both have to overcome the grinding (and it's nice when there's none necessary) and that's where I have trouble with DQ.

quote:
Demon's Souls is a weird beast. I thought it looked clunky too at first (and at E3), but it's one of those games that looks not-fun to play if someone is not good at it. Once you get good at it, the action is pretty great, with great backstab kills and all.

playing it felt not fun, to me, but I can acnkowledge that there could potentially be more there. I just generally dislike 3D brawlers, and this seemed like a clunkier version of that, so it didn't do it for me. Maybe I'll try to get further into it if it sells poorly and gets discounted. I'm not paying full price for it though, it seems too unlikely to engage me. I dunno!

Amakusa
813th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Fri 24 Jul 15:16post reply

quote:

well, it hasn't totally changed, but I do appreciate mid-period traditional RPGs, having finally beaten chrono trigger, and the super bland Brave Story, which was nostalgaic enough for me to get through. I also would've beaten the DS version of FFIII if someone hadn't stolen it. I got pretty far in Crisis Core too, though it's ultimately a bit boring.

For me, it's more about the graphics and the story, which both have to overcome the grinding (and it's nice when there's none necessary) and that's where I have trouble with DQ.

How can you say you don't like grinding when you actually finished Chrono Trigger? That's one of those games that forced you to fight everything regardless of whether you wanted to or not.

Maou
1743th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Fri 24 Jul 15:21:post reply

quote:

How can you say you don't like grinding when you actually finished Chrono Trigger? That's one of those games that forced you to fight everything regardless of whether you wanted to or not.

wat? Grinding means having to go run around in circles to kill enemies outside of the normal course of adventuring through the story because your guys are too weak or because normally encountered monsters don't give enough experience, no? You never need to do that in Chrono, because the normal encounters you have in proressing through the game give you ample experience.

And isn't Chrono Trigger the opposite of games where you have to fight everything? There is no better Japanese RPG to avoid enemies in, given that it introduced the enemies on screen bit, who are incredibly easy to avoid, and given that you can run easily, with no penalty, ever.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 24 Jul 15:26]

Pollyanna
2731th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sat 25 Jul 20:36post reply

So I've hit about 30 hours in DQIX now....most of them have been spent leveling up/gaining skills. This isn't like me! I usually try to fight relatively few enemies, level up as little as possible and follow the plot straight through.

But the class system is so addictive! It's like DQVIII in that you get skill points when you level up that can go into weapons or "class specific" skill sets, only when you change classes, you start out at level one, but keep all your skills. You do not keep your SPELLS, which would make things way too simple.

Since there's no penalty for doing...anything, really, I keep starting my characters over in new classes, seeing which ones I like, which combination I like on a team, and what kind of character I can build with combined skill sets.

Thanks to the early introduction of metal slimes, (re)leveling low-level characters is quick and painless. I don't think I'm overleveled for this part of the game, but I have spent a good deal of time making sure my team is just how I like it (until I get some other idea in my head of a fun combination).

All of the boss fights I fought have been fairly one-dimensional, but I've spent so much time building these characters...picking out their clothes...picking out their features and skills and whatever that it feels like I'm putting my team building skills to the test. Like I'm tossing my baby birds out of the nest and seeing if they can fly or not.

It's so hard not to get sidetracked in the game. There's an absolutely stupid number of quests and "hidden" bosses that get stronger every time you fight them...and items to make...and places to explore (they practically give you free reign over the world as soon as you get your boat, which is fairly early).

The plot has been hit or miss, but some of the short stories have been very good...reminding me a lot of DQVII.

I feel like a "closing statement" needs to go here, but I don't really have one.

Uhm...

Yay DQIX!

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iggy
8947th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sat 25 Jul 21:31post reply

quote:
There is no better Japanese RPG to avoid enemies in, given that it introduced the enemies on screen bit, who are incredibly easy to avoid, and given that you can run easily, with no penalty, ever.

"Easy to avoid" except for 90% of them.
And all the Japanese RPG where the enemies are visible on screen (Romasaga and FFXII jump in mind immediately) disagree with you as well. And there are plenty of games where fleeing has no penalty, though, like in Chrono, you have to enter the fight before fleeing.

Face it, Chrono Trigger has no quality whatsoever beside being easy to understand and having been released in the states.

Amakusa
814th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sun 26 Jul 01:18post reply

quote:

And isn't Chrono Trigger the opposite of games where you have to fight everything? There is no better Japanese RPG to avoid enemies in, given that it introduced the enemies on screen bit, who are incredibly easy to avoid, and given that you can run easily, with no penalty, ever.

No, that honor would probably go to something like Lufia 2. If you've ever REALLY played Chrono Trigger for any length of time, you would realize all those visible enemies you see are placed in such a way that they actually get in your way (which is pretty much how Final Fantasy Mystic Quest turned out, too).

sfried
389th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sun 26 Jul 08:38post reply

What's with all this Chrono Trigger hate in a Dragon Quest IX thread?

And I thought the reason that CT was so well-loved was because the pacing was excellent? Grinding was indeed minimal but most of the encounters were puzzle like in their nature rather than the typical "Mash A/Fight fight fight" found in Final Fantasies. ("Lightning stun dinosaur, you know?") Yes, there will always be one of those enemies that blocked your path/can't run from, but it's far from the 3-steps encounters found in FFIV, and there are some alternate way with dealing with foes such as trapdoors and whatnot.

Based on what I've seen/heard, DQ is more akin to old Wizardry-derived RPGs. That's definitely a more traditional console RPG than the likes of CT, FF, and contemporary post-Nomura influenced RPGs.

Pollyanna
2733th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sun 26 Jul 09:34post reply

quote:

And I thought the reason that CT was so well-loved was because the pacing was excellent?

I loved Chrono Trigger because its world was so well realized. Not from a plot perspective, but graphically. For the first time in an RPG, I felt like I was like watching an actual something rather than sprites on tiles that were implying something.

Speaking of being able to see the enemies on a map or not...they're quite easy to avoid in DQIX, and it makes me think about what kind of effect that has on the game. I usually level up outside of dungeons, then avoid all the monsters I've fought more than once on the inside. I'm having fun with the game, so I can't say it's a bad system, but I kind of miss the "can I survive until the end of the maze?" system that's becoming less and less common.

I think Arc Rise Fantasia did it fairly well. You could see the enemies, and if you fought at least most of them, you'd probably have enough EXP to avoid grinding and beat the boss. If you didn't...the boss would most likely murder you.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1749th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sun 26 Jul 15:30:post reply

I don't think I can argue that Chrono Trigger is great to its opponents any more than I can with film fans who don't like Casablanca or Seven Samurai or Lawrence of Arabia or something. If Chrono doesn't do it for an RPG fan, there is nothing left in this world that can please them.

On the other hand, I still contend that Chrono's monsters are easy to avoid if you just walk (not run) around them. I'd say that at least half of all fights can be avoided if need be (and in any event, you'll never ever ever need to grind because the experience is generous). If "grind" means "having to ever fight a monster" then it's a grind game, but otherwise, no way. In any event, the fact that it takes all of two seconds to run if you do bumble into a fight makes it pretty painless and un-grindy. And for other grind-free games, Final MMORPG XII doesn't count, I'm talking about conventional RPG's, nor do the RPG's that tried to copy the on-screen battle system but missed the point by having field enemies that loaded you into a separate battle screen, wasting the same amount of time as before with random battles. I love Estpolis/Lufia and friends, but on-screen, yet turn-based, fights are what I'd love to see more of.

Anyway, speaking of which, Dragon Quest without random encounters seems hard to imagine.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 26 Jul 15:46]

Pollyanna
2734th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sun 26 Jul 15:43post reply

I'm getting used to not having random encounters in RPGs. The lack of them in DQIX have encouraged me to explore more, which I've enjoyed tremendously. But again...not really a DQ fan.

quote:
On-screen, yet turn-based, fights are what I'd love to see more of...hardly anyone copied that after Chrono Trigger.

I think that's a bit short-sighted. To pull that off, the characters would have to either have boring attacks or always go around in wide open spaces, which just makes for more needless running.

In Chrono Trigger, the characters can jump to places that don't actually exist without it looking awkward, because the graphics are simplistic. In a game with detailed renders, it wouldn't work unless you bothered changing their animation based on their environment, which is more trouble than it's worth. The fact that most games use a host of renders for the same character (overhead map/battle/cinema/important cinema) complicates things even further.

Not only that, you would have limitations on what you could do in terms of background design.

It's a fine idea for a 2D game or a more primitive 3D one, but I think maybe you're stuck in an old-school line of thinking for RPGs. Or maybe I'm just biased because I hate huge, sprawling open areas and games that artificially increase their length by making you run unnecessarily far to get anywhere. (something Chrono Trigger most definitely didn't do)

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1750th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sun 26 Jul 15:57:post reply

quote:
It's a fine idea for a 2D game or a more primitive 3D one, but I think maybe you're stuck in an old-school line of thinking for RPGs. Or maybe I'm just biased because I hate huge, sprawling open areas and games that artificially increase their length by making you run unnecessarily far to get anywhere. (something Chrono Trigger most definitely didn't do)

Actually, that's just it. I do want tight, well-designed dungeons that don't expand forever needlessly (I would have liked XII a lot more if I hadn't felt like every dungeon was me traversing the entirety of another RPG's world map). Why would having the characters fight enemies on-screen be a problem? I'd like to see them bump into monsters, have the menu turn up, and have combat take place in close quarters in a well-shaped dungeon with nice backgrounds. Unless we're talking about making it some kind of combo or action RPG (and I'm not, really), they shouldn't need the 'dead space' to jump around everywhere or climb on trees and whatnot.

I've felt that the switch to battle screens is what's short-sighted lately...given that world maps and random encounters are often phased out these days since they were really just concessions to technological limitations of times past, why should a separate battle screen have to happen, where the same environment you were just running around has to be re-animated with more or less detail? Instead, what if they put all their energy into making just one of these environments and making it so that it both looked pretty and could easily accomodate a battle? I just don't see any justification for the schizophrenia between field and battle screen anymore, other than that the two have been stuck in two separate compartments in people's minds for so long.

Like, even XII---which I found to a good example of the problem you rightly mention where dungeons are far too sprawling and empty---showed that you could have detailed fights in pretty environments...the environments there were just too big, since the fights and escapes were calibrated with an online RPG system in mind. If a menu had popped up in XII's field for fights, you could have just cut down the size of those fields and have had just the kind of seemless combat I'm hoping for.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 26 Jul 16:00]

Iggy
8949th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Sun 26 Jul 20:13post reply

quote:
I don't think I can argue that Chrono Trigger is great to its opponents any more than I can with film fans who don't like Casablanca or Seven Samurai or Lawrence of Arabia or something. If Chrono doesn't do it for an RPG fan, there is nothing left in this world that can please them.

This has to be the most ridiculous trollbait I've ever read.

Maou
1750th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Mon 27 Jul 00:45post reply

Psh, I wasn't too serious about calling CT the finest thing in the world...trollbait? Especially after posting that it was terrible out of the blue? I believe miserable London is making you more dour than ever, dear sir.

Anyway, I just assumed Chrono Trigger was sort of a classic at this point but that people who don't like it have a solid reason they don't like it and are highly unlikely to be convinced, regardless of what reputation it may have. It's just not some new game where people's opinions are likely to be in flux.

Amakusa
815th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Mon 27 Jul 04:29post reply

quote:
Psh, I wasn't too serious about calling CT the finest thing in the world...trollbait? Especially after posting that it was terrible out of the blue? I believe miserable London is making you more dour than ever, dear sir.

Anyway, I just assumed Chrono Trigger was sort of a classic at this point but that people who don't like it have a solid reason they don't like it and are highly unlikely to be convinced, regardless of what reputation it may have. It's just not some new game where people's opinions are likely to be in flux.

When people remember Chrono Trigger as being an awesome game they remember Chrono Trigger as it was when it first came out, when it found a way to stand out among all the other games around it. In retrospect, it wasn't the game system itself that people loved, but how it was presented. At its base level it really was no different than Final Fantasy.

Changing random encounters to set encounters certainly addressed peoples' growing concern with the random encounters themselves, but then all the set encounters were placed in such a way that you pretty much would run into all of them made things no different than how random encounters played out. You would still attempt to kill them all or run from every encounter; it was exactly the same as any other game. The only difference there would be the encounters would no longer be random, and that really isn't enough. There is no method of encounter avoidance, which I deem is very important to having visible field encounters.

In some regards the battle system in Chrono Trigger is what I would feel is inferior to Secret of Mana; their presentation is similar (perhaps deliberately so), but it was very rare that you couldn't just run through all the monsters in Secret of Mana if you really wanted to.

Iggy
8950th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Mon 27 Jul 04:31post reply

quote:
Especially after posting that it was terrible out of the blue? I believe miserable London is making you more dour than ever, dear sir.
You're probably right.
I still can't stand how everyone assumes this is one of the best game in history even though the scenario is insultingly bland, the system boring to death and the technical execution, while top-notch at the time, was surpassed in a matter of months (like all the technical summits ever).

I mean, even without pulling the Saga card again, Rudora no Hihou has one of the best scenario and storytelling out there, looked gorgeous in his time, was trying something completely new and original, and nobody cares about it.
To go on with your cinema metaphor, it's like everyone would still talk about Mel Gibson's Braveheart while nobody would remember Imamura's Unagi.
OK, my metaphor sucks, but you see where I'm going here, do you? Not that I care if you don't.

What I mean in the end is: screw you, England!

Oh, and to go back to my first post in this thread: I already got back two of the friends that got sucked up in DQN. So much for "a game that will last until next year!"

sfried
390th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Mon 27 Jul 05:09post reply

quote:
You would still attempt to kill them all or run from every encounter; it was exactly the same as any other game. The only difference there would be the encounters would no longer be random, and that really isn't enough. There is no method of encounter avoidance, which I deem is very important to having visible field encounters.
Oh, but there was encounter avoidance. Remember the trap doors in at prehistoric castle? If you activated them, then the enemies that would usually land to trigger an encounter just fell off.

Pollyanna
2736th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Dragon Quest IX?" , posted Tue 28 Jul 08:53post reply

quote:

I've felt that the switch to battle screens is what's short-sighted lately...given that world maps and random encounters are often phased out these days since they were really just concessions to technological limitations of times past, why should a separate battle screen have to happen, where the same environment you were just running around has to be re-animated with more or less detail? Instead, what if they put all their energy into making just one of these environments and making it so that it both looked pretty and could easily accomodate a battle? I just don't see any justification for the schizophrenia between field and battle screen anymore, other than that the two have been stuck in two separate compartments in people's minds for so long.

It's just too easy to continue doing it the old way. There are a bunch of details (with memory and processing as well) to consider. If you use the old method, you can have the characters fight any kind of enemy in virtually any number in any kind of location and do any kind of attack. All the different development teams don't even have to work with each other.

I don't disagree that it would be cool at least some games CT style, and I certainly think it would be possible, but it would also require a tremendous amount of effort that might not pay off in a game that may or may not sell well.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食