Random: Game edition - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3417 Views )

Ishmael
3520th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Random: Game edition" , posted Wed 15 Jul 01:17post reply

A new Sakura cartoon is up at the SF4 site.

A video interview about KoF XII is up at 1Up. Producer Masaaki Kukino talks about how he wanted XII to get away from the technical, methodical nature of gameplay that too many modern 2D games fall into. He then goes on to explain that in order to make best use of the deadlock system players should memorize the attack animation of every character.

Replies:

Maou
1712th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Random: Game edition" , posted Wed 15 Jul 03:09post reply

quote:
I like to think that the reporter's question, "Are you really a high school girl?" was a nod towards the absurd continuity break of SFIV having SFZero characters.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

karasu99
171th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Random: Game edition" , posted Wed 15 Jul 03:23post reply

Not exactly the freshest of news, but I had forgotten that Samurai Spirits Sen was coming the the X360. I could swear I've seen that it was to be released in the US as well. It looks... pretty good, I think, and I'm more excited about it than I was about any recent Soul Calibur or Tekken, despite the fact that it involved the somewhat distasteful business of an SNK 2D fighter being made 3D.

So, for those who have played the arcade version, is it remotely decent? I seem to recall it being generally panned in the arcade.

Iron D
3222th Post

"Re(3):Random: Game edition" , posted Wed 15 Jul 03:41post reply

quote:
Not exactly the freshest of news, but I had forgotten that Samurai Spirits Sen was coming the the X360. I could swear I've seen that it was to be released in the US as well. It looks... pretty good, I think, and I'm more excited about it than I was about any recent Soul Calibur or Tekken, despite the fact that it involved the somewhat distasteful business of an SNK 2D fighter being made 3D.

So, for those who have played the arcade version, is it remotely decent? I seem to recall it being generally panned in the arcade.

Hey, hey, hey! Samurai Showdown 64 kicked ass! So SNK 2D fighters can be good 3d fighters...sometime. Speaking of which, I'm interested in knowing what the the general feeling is towards Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition. I've seen vids, and while it certainly shows its age, it still looks fun.

As for SS Sen, I seem to recall people saying it sucked. Can't remember specific reasons why, though. Sorry if that's not much help to you Karasu.

Er.....

Amakusa
804th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):Random: Game edition" , posted Wed 15 Jul 15:33post reply

quote:

Hey, hey, hey! Samurai Showdown 64 kicked ass! So SNK 2D fighters can be good 3d fighters...sometime. Speaking of which, I'm interested in knowing what the the general feeling is towards Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition. I've seen vids, and while it certainly shows its age, it still looks fun.

I loved both SS 64 games, although I really didn't get to play the first one all that much. The second one was just plain better.

Wild Ambition actually replaced SS 64 at my old arcade, which is why I didn't get to play it much. I tended to only use Billy and Geese; I did way better with Billy, though. I can't say I remember too much about the game other than it was rather playable, and the fact that I learned to hate Tsugumi pretty darn fast (her and her whip-whip-voom running sound).

Not many people challenged me so I played against the computer most of the time. I remember getting to Geese's sub-boss Andy and losing, though; I don't remember actually taking the time to try and beat the game.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Spoon
1792th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Random: Game edition" , posted Wed 15 Jul 16:42post reply

quote:
A video interview about KoF XII is up at 1Up. Producer Masaaki Kukino talks about how he wanted XII to get away from the technical, methodical nature of gameplay that too many modern 2D games fall into. He then goes on to explain that in order to make best use of the deadlock system players should memorize the attack animation of every character.

[Ono]
No, you see, it's like chess...

[/Ono]

shin ramberk
357th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Random: Game edition" , posted Wed 15 Jul 17:28post reply

quote:

So is this new material or is it material from SF4? (I haven't played SF4 on a home console, so I'm unfamiliar with the cutscenes it has).

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Ikari Loona
260th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Random: Game edition" , posted Wed 15 Jul 17:29post reply

quote:
He then goes on to explain that in order to make best use of the deadlock system players should memorize the attack animation of every character.

I don't think he mentioned the animation specifically - if I understood it correctly, it seemed to be about understanding the priority/rank of the moves (somehow the srk.com folks seem hold that sort of thing in their heads...) - the hard part would be reacting with an equivalent move in time to trigger the new counter system or clashes,

FFWA brought us bearded Ryo, which should be enough, but from my brief experimenting with the PS version it was fun. Not enough Touji in later games, sadly.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Ishmael
3526th Post

"Re(2):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 16 Jul 00:15post reply

quote:

So is this new material or is it material from SF4? (I haven't played SF4 on a home console, so I'm unfamiliar with the cutscenes it has).

Don't quote me on this, but I think this piece originally aired in Japanese theaters along with that live action Chun-Li movie. I hope there is some sort of DVD release of all these extras, since there is quite a bit of supplemental animation for this game floating around.

It's been a long time since I played FF:WA but I seem to remember the super guages in that game being incredibly annoying. Between that and Tsugumi it's far from my favorite FF game. The loading screens on the PSX version were really nice, however.

In other game news Valkyria Chronicles is getting a sequel... on the PSP.

Iron D
3228th Post

"Re(3):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 16 Jul 02:33post reply

quote:

HELL yes! I'm there! I only got to play the demo version of the PS3 game, but even that was enough to make me want the game pretty bad.

Er.....

badoor
77th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 16 Jul 02:33post reply

quote:

Famitsu Scan
Source

That's awesome. I thought Valkyria Chronicles was amazing and a PSP sequel would work perfectly. Its funny how Sega didn't bother with countdown timers that reveal vague artwork and words. They just opted by slapping the date on the page.

Amakusa
806th Post

"Re(3):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 16 Jul 12:27post reply

quote:

It's been a long time since I played FF:WA but I seem to remember the super guages in that game being incredibly annoying. Between that and Tsugumi it's far from my favorite FF game. The loading screens on the PSX version were really nice, however.

I heard the PSX version was a bit different from the arcade version; since I've never played the PSX version I couldn't say. I just know that supposedly Xiangfei was in the PSX version.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Gojira
2540th Post

"Re(4):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 16 Jul 16:21post reply

quote:

I heard the PSX version was a bit different from the arcade version; since I've never played the PSX version I couldn't say. I just know that supposedly Xiangfei was in the PSX version.

Actually Xiangfei was in the arcade version as well, but as a hidden character. Duck King and Mr. Karate (Buriki One ver) were the console exclusives IIRC.

shipoopi

Ikari Loona
262th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 16 Jul 18:36:post reply

quote:

Duck King and Mr. Karate (Buriki One ver) were the console exclusives IIRC.

The Buriki One version would lack "proper" specials and supers and wouldn't look as badass.
I wish NGBC hadn't further confused matters by giving Ryo KoF-ish moves, the Buriki One suit and FFWA name, then saying he came from Buriki One...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

[this message was edited by Ikari Loona on Thu 16 Jul 20:21]

Evenor
696th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):Random: Game edition" , posted Fri 17 Jul 01:32:post reply

Have any of you played Vanguard Princess yet? It sure looks pretty!

drink from me and live forever

[this message was edited by Evenor on Fri 17 Jul 01:37]

karasu99
173th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Random: Game edition" , posted Fri 17 Jul 02:51:post reply

quote:
Have any of you played Vanguard Princess yet? It sure looks pretty!

HOLY CRAP, yeah it does... how did this one slip past me? The animation is pretty nice-- I'll have to locate more info.

EDIT: Wait, no, turns out I had read about it earlier and downloaded it, but hadn't tried it just yet. FALSE ALARM.

[this message was edited by karasu99 on Fri 17 Jul 02:52]

kofoguz
731th Post

"Re(8):Random: Game edition" , posted Fri 17 Jul 10:30post reply

quote:
EDIT: Wait, no, turns out I had read about it earlier and downloaded it, but hadn't tried it just yet. FALSE ALARM.

Same here. Also I heard this game was done by one person. İmpressive.

Professor
2563th Post

MMCafe Owner

"KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Thu 23 Jul 20:37:post reply

According to early reports, KOFXII scored a 5/5/7/5 on Famitsu, which is pretty.. low. In fact, that's lower than the buggy Arcana Heart 2 for the PS2, which was 6/7/6/5.

Apparently, common comments made by the reviewers was that the game has no storyline, no bosses, less characters and moves than previous KOF games. Will check out the mag later.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 23 Jul 20:38]

Iron D
3253th Post

"Re(1):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Thu 23 Jul 20:53post reply

quote:
According to early reports, KOFXII scored a 5/5/7/5 on Famitsu, which is pretty.. low. In fact, that's lower than the buggy Arcana Heart 2 for the PS2, which was 6/7/6/5.

Apparently, common comments made by the reviewers was that the game has no storyline, no bosses, less characters and moves than previous KOF games. Will check out the mag later.

To be honest, I could care less about the story at this point. It just seemed too bogged down after over a decade of attempted story progress. But NO BOSSES? At all? Damn!

I'm under the impression that it will be fun to play, but not have the lasting life that other fighting games have. Guess I'll be sticking to 98UM and XI for my KoF fix for now.

Er.....

Ishmael
3534th Post

"Re(2):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Thu 23 Jul 23:00post reply

I hate to be mercenary about this but at this point I'll probably wait for KoFXII to hit the bargain bin before I pick it up. With as much bad buzz as the title is getting it will probably be demoted to the clearance aisle sooner rather than later.

Oroch
1071th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Thu 23 Jul 23:24post reply

quote:

nooooooooooooooooooooo

with everyone and their mother bitching about seth i would've thought they'd like a game without a boss, an snk boss would make seth look like dan

no storyline? seriously? because sf4's storyline makes it just that much better, right?

kofoguz
741th Post

"Re(1):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Thu 23 Jul 23:38post reply

quote:

IIRC Famitsu isnt exactly in Love with SNK. But how come graphics, gameplay etc. is affected by the absence of storyline?
Professor, do you know what is scored 7 and why?

ONSLAUGHT
3843th Post

"Re(2):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Fri 24 Jul 01:22post reply

quote:

with everyone and their mother bitching about seth i would've thought they'd like a game without a boss, an snk boss would make seth look like dan

no storyline? seriously? because sf4's storyline makes it just that much better, right?

Having a hard boss is better than no boss at all. Besides you can always lower the difficulty if the boss is too much for you.

Shitty storyline is better than no storyline at all. If you don't like it you can just ignore it.

Only 12 characters? With less moves than previous incarnations? Ralf and Clark being disgusting blobs? No fan favorites? (this is the only point subject to disscusion).

More than a full game, sounds like a glorified tech demo to me.

exodus
4197th Post

"Re(3):Random: Game edition" , posted Fri 24 Jul 01:34:post reply

quote:

I approve of this. I stopped playing valkyria a bit ago...I wonder if there's any "extend" data to come from the PS3 to PSP versions? That might inspire me to try to get through it again. The tough part is how much OCD/save/load crap it inspires.

[edit] ah yes, and re: KOF 12, it does seem to have fewer moves (the removal of Joe's overhead kicky thing really pissed me off), but I have already paid the full preorder price. Unfortunately I'll be in stupid Florida when it comes out.

[this message was edited by exodus on Fri 24 Jul 01:35]

Iron D
3254th Post

"Re(3):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Fri 24 Jul 01:48post reply

quote:

Only 12 characters? With less moves than previous incarnations? Ralf and Clark being disgusting blobs? No fan favorites? (this is the only point subject to disscusion).

Not to mention the lack of completely new characters. I mean, the closest you get is Raiden, who is only new to the KoF series, but not actually an original character.

Er.....

Red Falcon
6077th Post

"Re(3):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Fri 24 Jul 03:28post reply

quote:

This is really all that it is. It's SNK's "CvS1" to the KOF 13 that will (probably) be CvS2. Nothing more than a quick buck while they continue working on the actual intended product.

Best site EVER:Link Here

exodus
4197th Post

"Re(4):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Fri 24 Jul 03:40post reply

quote:

This is really all that it is. It's SNK's "CvS1" to the KOF 13 that will (probably) be CvS2. Nothing more than a quick buck while they continue working on the actual intended product.

while that's annoying in most ways, I'm fine with it as it's basically been SNK's MO, to just release stuff and refine it for the next one. I like seeing the rough-around-the-edges ideas get further refined.

Freeter
4467th Post

"Re(1):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Fri 24 Jul 04:45post reply

quote:

Sounds more like a personal beef with SNK for putting out an incomplete KOF than an actual evalution of the game itself.

I'm still getting the game regardless, even in its half-assed form. High-res redrawn KOF is long overdue.

hikarutilmitt
500th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Fri 24 Jul 05:58post reply

quote:

It may seem biased but, to be honest, that seems a bit right or only slightly lower than where it should probably be (IMO).

It does look nice in general, yes, but because of all the animation and them apparently wanting you to see every single one the game is INCREDIBLY slow. I'm usually not one to complain about a fighter being too slow (I'd rather have a reasonably slow and steady than blinding fast, I always put HF on 3 stars on SNES instead of 10 like a lot of people) but it is painfully slow. I could see getting used to the system making this a boon, but the rounds go slowly despite the high damage that can be dished out at time.

Another thing is the painful difficulty. Even level 8 KOF can be manageable sometimes, but this was absolutely ridiculous. It was a long and boring chore just to complete the first match, let alone win.

And, lastly, the game just isn't FUN. It's very stripped down, feels cramped, is difficult to pick up and play and only made me want to play KOFXI and '02UM that much more. If they DO end up completing the game with KOFXIII I'll be fine with XIII, but as it stands XII just isn't very good. It's like they spent all this time redrawing everything and forgot to make a game.

Grave
1193th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Fri 24 Jul 06:21post reply

I had planned to pick it up regardless of how people responded to it, but... well, it's one thing to impulse buy mediocre games at $20-$30 like I did with NGBC etc, but $60 is a harder sell! I do want to encourage SNK to move forward with a complete game with even more nice sprites, but if the core game isn't good, well, that's kind of a problem!

The netcode will have a lot to do with whether or not I pick it up. Blazblue's home version totally spoiled me, so a bare-bones port of a bare-bones game like KOF XII might be a tough sell.

It's missing pretty much everything I loved about KOF XI, but I'm hoping to find something I like in XII anyway! And if not, well, as Atomiswave emulation matures, maybe we'll have KOF XI with GGPO support someday...!

Oroch
1072th Post

"Re(3):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Sat 25 Jul 04:07post reply

quote:
I had planned to pick it up regardless of how people responded to it, but... well, it's one thing to impulse buy mediocre games at $20-$30 like I did with NGBC etc, but $60 is a harder sell! I do want to encourage SNK to move forward with a complete game with even more nice sprites, but if the core game isn't good, well, that's kind of a problem!

The netcode will have a lot to do with whether or not I pick it up. Blazblue's home version totally spoiled me, so a bare-bones port of a bare-bones game like KOF XII might be a tough sell.

It's missing pretty much everything I loved about KOF XI, but I'm hoping to find something I like in XII anyway! And if not, well, as Atomiswave emulation matures, maybe we'll have KOF XI with GGPO support someday...!

just picked it up, definate lack of polish, graphics are very nice though

my main complaint is that it feels like i'm wading through molasses with all the moves, why the hell did they make it so slow

Evenor
700th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Sat 25 Jul 06:39:post reply

The netcode is atrocious! It has made such a stink that ignition already put out a statement for it. I hope the patch works because I am really enjoying the game! It's pretty satisfying when you pull off critical counter combos ( that aren'tx20 ).

Also Elizabreast has a command grab!

drink from me and live forever

[this message was edited by Evenor on Sat 25 Jul 06:42]

Pollyanna
2729th Post

"Re(4):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Sat 25 Jul 11:27post reply

quote:

my main complaint is that it feels like i'm wading through molasses with all the moves, why the hell did they make it so slow

If this is wading through molasses, then SF4 is wading through tar. But I guess if you've been playing 02 UM or something, it is a bit slow. To me, the original was too slow, but this is just perfect. That's my opinion at least.

I am having a tough time pulling off some things though. Timing is very harsh! Maybe it's just because I'm used to BlazBlue, where timing is extremely lax on nearly everything. I wish they had given a bigger window in KOF XII, though, since playing online will almost certainly make things more difficult.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Oroch
1074th Post

"Re(5):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Sat 25 Jul 11:53:post reply

quote:
The netcode is atrocious! It has made such a stink that ignition already put out a statement for it. I hope the patch works because I am really enjoying the game! It's pretty satisfying when you pull off critical counter combos ( that aren'tx20 ).

Also Elizabreast has a command grab!

lets see if they put out a patch next week

its been so so with my lag, maybe 50% of games are slow, the ones that aren't though play so beautifully

i really wish they'd get their shit together with the networking.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

dont get me started on sf4

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Oroch on Sat 25 Jul 15:03]

kofoguz
744th Post

"KOF XII Of. Guide & KOF Character Encylopedia" , posted Sat 25 Jul 19:48post reply

THE KING OF FIGHTERS XII OFFICIAL GUIDE

THE KING OF FIGHTERS CHARACTER ENCYCLOPEDIA

I wonder who's the artist for the cover of the Encyclopedia.

badoor
78th Post

Occasional Customer

"more characters in KOF 12? or lazy programing" , posted Sun 26 Jul 00:33post reply

Character rankings picture
Source

In the character rankings, three more empty spaces appear after the 22nd character. It could be for new characters or could be that the programmer forgot to remove the excess spaces due to the ranking page showing 5 ranks each page. Though I guess that since an Xbox marketplace/PSN choice is in the main menu SNK is upfront about its DLC support (plus you can't make new costumes for 2D characters, though it could be used for a new challenge mode and such, which I am kinda sad they didn't put in KOF 12 unlike the last few KOF games)

Iron D
3259th Post

"Re(1):more characters in KOF 12? or lazy prog" , posted Mon 27 Jul 07:43post reply

quote:
Character rankings picture
Source

In the character rankings, three more empty spaces appear after the 22nd character. It could be for new characters or could be that the programmer forgot to remove the excess spaces due to the ranking page showing 5 ranks each page. Though I guess that since an Xbox marketplace/PSN choice is in the main menu SNK is upfront about its DLC support (plus you can't make new costumes for 2D characters, though it could be used for a new challenge mode and such, which I am kinda sad they didn't put in KOF 12 unlike the last few KOF games)

Um...am I missing something? I could have sworn that Mai, K', and I think another character were all confirmed for the home release.

Er.....

Korigama
128th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):more characters in KOF 12? or lazy prog" , posted Mon 27 Jul 07:56post reply

quote:

Um...am I missing something? I could have sworn that Mai, K', and I think another character were all confirmed for the home release.

The only console characters were Mature and Elisabeth, bringing the total roster up to 22 (two more than the arcade version). There were portraits for K' and Mai in Ogura's style on the anniversary site, but never on any of the sites for XII itself.

And since there are five spaces per page, three empty spaces on the last page is little more than just laziness.

Spoon
1796th Post

"Re(5):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Mon 27 Jul 16:15post reply

quote:

I am having a tough time pulling off some things though. Timing is very harsh! Maybe it's just because I'm used to BlazBlue, where timing is extremely lax on nearly everything. I wish they had given a bigger window in KOF XII, though, since playing online will almost certainly make things more difficult.

One of the clever features of Blazblue is that when you press a button, the game repeats that input for 5 frames. This makes link combos a lot easier (hint: press the buttons earlier than normal to take full advantage!) as well as making attacks the instant you get up/exit blockstun easier.

I'm frankly still confused about how the people who made SF4 thought that bringing back the "chained shorts/jabs lose ability to cancel into specials" was a good idea, especially knowing that the frame data would obviously allow for linking of shorts/jabs.

quote:
game is too slow

The game was EVEN SLOWER in earlier versions, and in those versions you really got to see all the animation. The current version I think is alright; maybe a bit slow by the usual KOF standard, though. I remember playing Vampire Savior and constantly wishing that I could make the game run even slower because the game played at a fast speed and I kept wanting to be able to better savor the sprite animations.

My take on slow games is still the same, though: you can't just take the same game that's been refined for years and years and suddenly think that by reducing the game speed it becomes accessible. The game mechanics have to be built with that slower pace in mind.

One thing which is difficult for me to shake is that having played fighting games for so many years, it's become harder and harder for me to grasp how good/fun/accessible a fighting game is for somebody who isn't used to playing them. I do know that if somebody like me who has been playing them for so long has trouble playing it, it's probably pretty difficult for a newbie to pick up. OTOH, "easyness" is becoming hazier and hazier for me.

quote:
bad review scores

The fact that KOFXII got even lower scores than the dodgy S!AH2 port is rather sad, but the low scores are a good reflection of the reaction that anybody unfamiliar with KOFXII would probably have after plunking down $60 and finding out just what they've paid for.

some mindless rambling:
On one hand, whether or not the console port contains all the latest balancing tweaks the current arcade version has is something that doesn't make a huge difference to the non-hardcore. If you haven't ever played the arcade version, you wouldn't even know that the slowdown is THAT abnormal (though in some cases it is awfully strange). The cut-down sprite frames and sprite resolution are plainly evident, with many sprites looking like they plain fuzz up when doing certain things.

But after all that is said, S!AH2 still has 20 different characters and 20 different arcana, story dialogue and endings for each character, and a boss to fight, and a double-digit number of backgrounds (which aren't animated). In terms of just content, S!AH2 definitely has more.

KTallguy
1132th Post

"Re(6):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Mon 27 Jul 21:45post reply

quote:

I'm frankly still confused about how the people who made SF4 thought that bringing back the "chained shorts/jabs lose ability to cancel into specials" was a good idea, especially knowing that the frame data would obviously allow for linking of shorts/jabs.

I think this was to prevent people from dominating too much. Generally, SF4 combos are simpler button wise than something like BlazBlue, I imagine. The very deliberate combo timing was tough to get used to, but ultimately it's a device that makes it harder to master a character (artificially, perhaps).

As far as the KOFXII discussion, at my local arcade there is a single machine and I rarely see a soul on it. Sad, really.

Play to win... or to have fun too! :)

hikarutilmitt
503th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):KOFXII didn't score too good" , posted Tue 28 Jul 06:30post reply

quote:
On one hand, whether or not the console port contains all the latest balancing tweaks the current arcade version has is something that doesn't make a huge difference to the non-hardcore. If you haven't ever played the arcade version, you wouldn't even know that the slowdown is THAT abnormal (though in some cases it is awfully strange). The cut-down sprite frames and sprite resolution are plainly evident, with many sprites looking like they plain fuzz up when doing certain things.

But after all that is said, S!AH2 still has 20 different characters and 20 different arcana, story dialogue and endings for each character, and a boss to fight, and a double-digit number of backgrounds (which aren't animated). In terms of just content, S!AH2 definitely has more.

You bring a good point to the table. Something I think BlazBlue has going for it is, well, everything.

It's not as easy to get into as, say, SF4 but it's a good deal easier than GG and, in this case, KOFXII. I've seen a lot of casual players joining in and really enjoying it.

The home port is superb and has a LOT of offline content for those that still don't like playing online, plus it lets you set the game to arcade specifics for the tournament/enthusiasts.

I've been playing the game for a while now but had no idea about it repeating an input for 5 frames. That is awesome to know and, honestly, makes it even MORE accessible than SF4. If they did something like this for SF4 I have a feeling fewer people would be scared away by the scads of link combos in the game that you almost have to use just to survive.

whitesword
1647th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Random: Game edition" , posted Wed 12 Aug 22:04post reply

An extremely important press release from Capcom!

I think it has something to do with this shocking and revealing Twitter post!!

Ishmael
3548th Post

"Re(2):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 13 Aug 03:27post reply

quote:

So some genius spoke out of turn using official channels and caused Capcom of Japan to issue a terse, oddly worded retraction? Well done.

Maou
1770th Post

"Re(3):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 13 Aug 04:09post reply

quote:

So some genius spoke out of turn using official channels and caused Capcom of Japan to issue a terse, oddly worded retraction? Well done.

Indeed! Inter-departmental irritation and accidental intercompany backstabbing is now officially the (only?) great thing to have come out of new social media.

karasu99
196th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 13 Aug 05:14post reply

quote:

Indeed! Inter-departmental irritation and accidental intercompany backstabbing is now officially the (only?) great thing to have come out of new social media.

I think it says something about the nature of my relationship toward Capcom lately that not only do I not have any idea which IP they could possibly be talking about, but that I don't even feel like speculating.

Maou
1771th Post

"Re(5):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 13 Aug 05:22post reply

quote:

I think it says something about the nature of my relationship toward Capcom lately that not only do I not have any idea which IP they could possibly be talking about, but that I don't even feel like speculating.

are you ready for the burning intensity that is Power Stone 3??!?!?!

Actually, I'm the same. Street Fighter 4 Dash? Justice Gakuen 3 (if only!)?

karasu99
197th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 13 Aug 06:15post reply

quote:

are you ready for the burning intensity that is Power Stone 3??!?!?!

Actually, I'm the same. Street Fighter 4 Dash? Justice Gakuen 3 (if only!)?

Actually, I always loved Powerstone (although much of that love may be Dreamcast-love, granted) so actually, I would be very happy to see Powerstone 3.

Truthfully, I would love it if Capcom would for once not just release a remake/re-release/update/sequel to an existing IP and create something new that has a heavy focus on gameplay. Or at least a sequel to Pirate Ship Higemaru (NOT kidding!).

Iggy
8954th Post

"Re(6):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 13 Aug 06:21post reply

It's probably about the article in the Nikkei saying Basara 3 would be confirmed on Wii...?
Wait. Why would they write it on the US site then.
I don't know.

exodus
4213th Post

"Re(7):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 13 Aug 07:03post reply

quote:
It's probably about the article in the Nikkei saying Basara 3 would be confirmed on Wii...?
Wait. Why would they write it on the US site then.
I don't know.

I have no idea what it was about, but it was probably posted by kotaku.

Ishmael
3549th Post

"Re(8):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 13 Aug 09:12post reply

quote:

It's also the main reason I read my work e-mail account.

quote:
Truthfully, I would love it if Capcom would for once not just release a remake/re-release/update/sequel to an existing IP and create something new that has a heavy focus on gameplay.

Does Dark Void count? Who owns the IP on that one?

quote:

Which means joystiq will repost the story a few days from now.

Maou
1772th Post

"Re(9):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 13 Aug 11:25post reply

quote:

It's also the main reason I read my work e-mail account.

Truthfully, I would love it if Capcom would for once not just release a remake/re-release/update/sequel to an existing IP and create something new that has a heavy focus on gameplay.

Does Dark Void count? Who owns the IP on that one?

Which means joystiq will repost the story a few days from now.

Heheh.

Also: Brandon: since this is Randomthread: was Insomnia always linked off of IC? Ugh.

exodus
4215th Post

"Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 13 Aug 11:55post reply

ishmael - yeah, dark void is a capcom ip I guess, but it's now made by them internally.

and lost planet and dead rising were new IPs!

maou - yeah, it has been forever. we have a love-hate relationship! I am gonna do something with ic again soon.

Maou
1775th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 13 Aug 11:59:post reply

quote:
maou - yeah, it has been forever. we have a love-hate relationship!
Fair enough! He lost me somewhere around his 4ch-caliber articles about "artfags" and his persecution complex where all females are "hoebags." Don't know how I didn't notice it up there before after all these years...must have gravitated towards Rid, Zepy, and Tim's pages instead. And those crazy "blue skies in games" kids. Them too.
quote:
I am gonna do something with ic again soon.

That would be EXCELLENT. Most people here agree, I suspect, even if we're too lazy to say so.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 13 Aug 12:24]

karasu99
200th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Fri 14 Aug 00:17post reply

quote:
and lost planet and dead rising were new IPs!

maou - yeah, it has been forever. we have a love-hate relationship! I am gonna do something with ic again soon.

No no, you're absolutely right, and I had forgotten about those two. Dead Rising was not bad, and pegged the 'overwhelmed by zombies' genre pretty well. Lost Planet I've never played!

I haven't been to IC in the longest time-- it's been years, as a matter of fact. I'm curious to hear what will happen with it since I can recall a few good times there.

Ishmael
3550th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Fri 14 Aug 03:22post reply

While the idea of IC 2.0 is intriguing I do wonder what its mission statement will be. When IC was at its most prolific I viewed it primarily as a showcase for Brandon and other writers who were trying to make a name for themselves in the world of videogame journalism. Now that a number of those people have moved on to other endeavors what will the site's new focus be?

nobinobita
582th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Fri 14 Aug 03:54post reply

quote:
While the idea of IC 2.0 is intriguing I do wonder what its mission statement will be. When IC was at its most prolific I viewed it primarily as a showcase for Brandon and other writers who were trying to make a name for themselves in the world of videogame journalism. Now that a number of those people have moved on to other endeavors what will the site's new focus be?

I'm hoping it'll continue to be a great alternative news source for solid, intersting games that few other sites are writing about.

Most games that get attention now seem to be mega-blockbusters, or smaller titles that have alot of novelty value. These kinds of titles have alot of broad appeal.

I like that Ollie has been posting about Mecha focused titles, cos that's where his interests lie. I like hearing about R-type tactics, and Virtual On and Border Break. They aren't necessarily "important" games, but they are interesting, and I don't really hear about them from any mainstream news sources.

Maou
1777th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Fri 14 Aug 05:02:post reply

quote:
I'm hoping it'll continue to be a great alternative news source for solid, intersting games that few other sites are writing about.
I'm hoping it'll continue to be a source for reviews like this. Alternately, I'm hoping it'll join hands with UK Resistance, Toasty Frog, and Action Button to slaughter pretenders to the throne like Kotaku and Joystiq. But hey.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 14 Aug 06:41]

KTallguy
1138th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Fri 14 Aug 10:48post reply

Dead Rising is amazing. Lost Planet had potential, at least. Looking at the second one, it looks like they have figured out where to take the series: Western Monster Hunter.

I loved Insert Credit because when it talks about obscure things, it doesn't go "Wow this is obscure, weiiiird!!" like maybe Kotaku would.

Instead it's like "here is this very niche product, it's from these guys who did this and this and the designers were originally from here doing this. Recent interviews quoted him as saying this and this." That's the kind of stuff that I can read and really appreciate.

nobinobita
583th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Fri 14 Aug 22:05post reply

quote:

Instead it's like "here is this very niche product, it's from these guys who did this and this and the designers were originally from here doing this. Recent interviews quoted him as saying this and this." That's the kind of stuff that I can read and really appreciate.

Yeah! I think you've really touched on what makes IC special. It's just plainly more competent than your average gaming site. There's more research and maturity (and passion) in the articles.

I think people tend to blame IC for kicking off the "new games journalism" movement where articles are just as much about the author as the subject (I'm not against this approach as long as the writer is actually interesting and writes well). But people also tend to forget how those deeply biographical articles also tended to provide lots of well researched information about the games.

I think the real appeal of Kotaku is that it updates like a dozen times a day so you can keep checking it every few hours for some new morsel of information entertainment. It's like a really slow TV channel (I think the whole web is basically turning into TiVo). Also they really encourage people to post comments, so that keeps people coming back to check their replies. They do alot of smart things in terms of SEO and site promotion, which is why they get so much traffic.

What I don't like is that it's all so perfunctory and impermanent. All conversations on their articles happen within a day. There will be hundreds of comments, but they'll pretty much stop after 2 days.

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I feel like Insert Credit is for people who are truly interested in games, while Kotaku tends to appeal to a wider audience that plays games to pass time, in the same way that most people watch movies. I'm not saying that hardcore gamers are better people than casual, I'm just saying that I'd rather read something written by someone more personally invested in the subject.

KTallguy
1139th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Fri 14 Aug 22:18post reply

Kotaku and others like them are pretty "knee jerk", although they do break stories occasionally.

I think that their existence is ok, but there is very little real content to the news posts, other than stating what happened. In that sense, it's like a 24 hour news channel.

IC and others like it are more like in depth editorials. If you read Gamasutra, you can get a similar vibe from some of their features, but it's a bit more professional than IC is. I don't mean that IC was sloppy, but more like it was a bit more casual, and the author could feel free to use in-jokes or other methods to amuse readers.

Check out Gamasutra if you haven't already :)

Ishmael
3551th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Fri 14 Aug 22:47post reply

While this discussion was going on Brandon announced that IC is going to be euthanized. While that decision is understandable it's still a shame.

Maou
1777th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Fri 14 Aug 23:19post reply

!
Alas, but at least i'm excited to see a proper archive! Looking forward to it, in a weird reversed kind of way.

quote:
We may also switch the site over to wordpress in the process
The unkindest cut of all! I kind of like IC's simple but effective aesthetic. This might be a fun time in a Random Thread to ramble about how I don't think I like post-90's web design these days...I was trying to figure out why it was that suddenly I was hating the design of every personal website, including places I enjoy like Toasty Frog, but then I realized that people had been using the same awful blog software and wordpress the whole time, of course. Funny how long that took to realize. 90's may have been kinda lo-fi, but at least there was an actual artisan putting together a personal web layout. It feels like personal designs like the Cafe have disappeared along with "fan pages" and "shrines," for the most part.

Anyway!

karasu99
202th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Sat 15 Aug 01:04post reply

quote:
I realized that people had been using the same awful blog software and wordpress the whole time, of course.

I think the late 90's had a 'sweet spot' though, between the mass-produced site designs of today and the quaintly cluttered straight html and frame-heavy disasters of the early to mid 90's. I can remember seeing some Geocities-esque sites recently that I suspected were mid-90's holdouts-- think midi music that automatically plays in the background and can't be turned off, jarring background images that clash with the choice of text color, multiple colors of text within sentences, and marquee displays with flashing and color-changing text. You know what I'm talking about.

exodus
4217th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Sat 15 Aug 02:56post reply

yeah, this wasn't the "something" I initially meant up there, but I just came to the decision that I can't do it justice right now. Maybe some day.

I just don't want it to die a wimpering death.

Oh, and the wordpress thing would just serve to make things easier, and allow comments. The front page has actually been on movable type for almost 3 years, without any visual change.

KTallguy
1140th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Sat 15 Aug 09:03post reply

Slightly sad about the decision to close IC.
Love the TI-83 link though!

Looking forward to the epic epicness down the road.

sfried
397th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Sun 16 Aug 09:26post reply

Not a game, but ever since Flipnote Studio/Ugomemo got released in the US, Hatena has been getting a lot of buzz.

So, anybody care to share any animations?

Ishmael
3552th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Mon 17 Aug 22:21post reply

quote:
yeah, this wasn't the "something" I initially meant up there, but I just came to the decision that I can't do it justice right now. Maybe some day.

I just don't want it to die a wimpering death.

Oh, and the wordpress thing would just serve to make things easier, and allow comments. The front page has actually been on movable type for almost 3 years, without any visual change.

A note to myself: Since it is likely that IC's doom was accidentally hastened by this thread remember to never to bring up the idea of possible updates to MMCafe.

Grave
1205th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Tue 18 Aug 06:51post reply

quote:
Not a game, but ever since Flipnote Studio/Ugomemo got released in the US, Hatena has been getting a lot of buzz.

So, anybody care to share any animations?

Between KORG DS-10+ and Flipnote, there's no way I can hold off from buying a DSi for too much longer. Already having enjoyed the picture-taking and audio silliness, with the two aforementioned apps It sounds like exactly the kind of toy I need in my life! I wanted to wait until there was an acceptable pink color... but there's a lime green, yes? That's good enough.

KTallguy
1141th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Wed 19 Aug 23:06post reply

gamescom new game trailers:

New Monster Hunter esque MGS game on PSP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvS1Cpa8JTc

Lord of Shadow, Castlevania game being developed in Spain (!), looks really nicely done:

http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/gc_2009/castlevania/

Very excited about these games, just love the atmosphere in the Castlevania one.

Ishmael
3554th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Random: Game edition" , posted Thu 20 Aug 00:42post reply

quote:
New Monster Hunter esque MGS game on PSP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvS1Cpa8JTc

Out of all the games to draw inspiration from I'm not certain I would have looked to The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures.

quote:
Lord of Shadow, Castlevania game being developed in Spain (!), looks really nicely done:

http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/gc_2009/castlevania/

Speaking of taking ideas from other games, the Kratos-esque weapon whipping in that trailer gives me pause. But I do most certainly approve of the decision to look to GoW for the correct way to create the maps for a 3D action title. One of the things that hurt the previous 3D was the games' over reliance on having the character trudge through long hallways that were filled with endlessly repeating textures. While that can be used to great effect in the 2D CV's it was nightmarish for all the wrong reasons when brought into 3D.