MMCafe travel sized edtion - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1526 Views )

Ishmael
3509th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Fri 26 Jun 09:45post reply

While watching KoF XII get pushed back again and again is great fun I should probably do something a bit more productive with my summer. To that end I'm going to be visiting the Los Angeles area in the near future. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should visit, where I should shop, what I should eat and so on?

Replies:

Mozex
374th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Fri 26 Jun 14:46post reply

Chinatown is fun for lunch. There's also the Getty if you like art museums or are into architecture.

Be kind to goblins.

Iron D
3195th Post

"Re(1):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Fri 26 Jun 17:21post reply

quote:
While watching KoF XII get pushed back again and again is great fun I should probably do something a bit more productive with my summer. To that end I'm going to be visiting the Los Angeles area in the near future. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should visit, where I should shop, what I should eat and so on?

If you're a fan of "so-bad-they're-awesome" films, then you MUST see "The Room" at the Sunset 5 theater on Sunset Blvd. Seeing it in theaters is an experience. Oh, and bring some plastic spoons. Seriously.

Er.....

karasu99
159th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Sat 27 Jun 00:23post reply

quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should visit, where I should shop, what I should eat and so on?

If you have even a spare second, you really should visit Fugetsu-Do for a snack. Literally every time I've visited, I've set aside time to make it down there.

I'll be anxious to see the rest of this thread, since I've never been able to find the really good game-buying locations.

Ishmael
3513th Post

"Re(2):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Sun 28 Jun 04:55:post reply

Good suggestions everyone, thanks!

It's funny, I had already blocked off some time to go to the Getty but I didn't know if I was going to be able to see a movie while I was in the Hollywood area. But if I am going to see a film it might as well be The Room, especially if I can view it in its natural midnight movie habitat. As for dining, I'm either relying on suggestions or eating blindly. But no matter what, I'll be damned before I eat at Applebee's or the like while I'm on vacation.

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Sun 28 Jun 05:06]

Mosquiton
1742th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Fri 3 Jul 12:02post reply

quote:

It's funny, I had already blocked off some time to go to the Getty but I didn't know if I was going to be able to see a movie while I was in the Hollywood area. But if I am going to see a film it might as well be The Room, especially if I can view it in its natural midnight movie habitat. As for dining, I'm either relying on suggestions or eating blindly. But no matter what, I'll be damned before I eat at Applebee's or the like while I'm on vacation.

I'm guessing you already know about In-N-Out. If not, try it. Their double-double is probably the best fast food burger in existence.

They also have a secret menu for cool people.

/ / /

Iron D
3203th Post

"Re(4):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Fri 3 Jul 21:56post reply

quote:

I'm guessing you already know about In-N-Out. If not, try it. Their double-double is probably the best fast food burger in existence.

They also have a secret menu for cool people.

I notice that that "secret menu" doesn't include animal-style fries. I mean, I don't care for animal-style fries, but it seems like everyone else does.

Er.....

Mozex
376th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Fri 10 Jul 23:02post reply

quote:
I notice that that "secret menu" doesn't include animal-style fries. I mean, I don't care for animal-style fries, but it seems like everyone else does.

I stick to animal-style for the burger only. Nothing but salt and burger drippings on my fries please.

Be kind to goblins.

Ishmael
3519th Post

"Re(2):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Tue 14 Jul 03:31post reply

quote:
If you have even a spare second, you really should visit Fugetsu-Do for a snack. Literally every time I've visited, I've set aside time to make it down there.

I'll be anxious to see the rest of this thread, since I've never been able to find the really good game-buying locations.

Thanks again for the Fugetsu-Do recommendation. One of their shops was located next to a restaurant I ate dinner at so I was able to have some mochi for desert.

As for games, I did manage to stop in to Game Dude, a shop that combined the tediousness of shopping by catalog with the inconvience of leaving the house. While that description isn't the most encouraging they did have a very impressive selection at a decent price. They also had an old X-Men cabinet for sale which made me wish I had somewhere to store a game that large as well as five suckers who would be willing to play the game with me.

Iron D
3216th Post

"Re(3):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Tue 14 Jul 05:56post reply

quote:

Thanks again for the Fugetsu-Do recommendation. One of their shops was located next to a restaurant I ate dinner at so I was able to have some mochi for desert.

As for games, I did manage to stop in to Game Dude, a shop that combined the tediousness of shopping by catalog with the inconvience of leaving the house. While that description isn't the most encouraging they did have a very impressive selection at a decent price. They also had an old X-Men cabinet for sale which made me wish I had somewhere to store a game that large as well as five suckers who would be willing to play the game with me.

I had forgotten that you were going to be in the L.A. area. I was there just a couple days ago. The Sunset Strip area as a matter of fact.

I assume things are going well? What part of the country are you from?

Er.....

Ishmael
3521th Post

"Re(4):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Wed 15 Jul 01:36post reply

quote:

I had forgotten that you were going to be in the L.A. area. I was there just a couple days ago. The Sunset Strip area as a matter of fact.

Nuts, if I had known we would be walking down the same street while I was out there I would have dropped you a line so we could have gotten lunch or something. Oh well, there's always next time.

Iron D
3220th Post

"Re(5):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Wed 15 Jul 02:24post reply

quote:

Nuts, if I had known we would be walking down the same street while I was out there I would have dropped you a line so we could have gotten lunch or something. Oh well, there's always next time.

Wouldn't have been lunch. I was there pretty late. 8:30 til about 11. So it would have been more like a late dinner.

If you were on the Strip, I assume you took the time to check out Meltdown, the comic shop? Best comic shop I've ever seen.

And I also ask again where you're originally from.

Er.....

Ishmael
3522th Post

"Re(6):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Wed 15 Jul 04:37post reply

quote:
If you were on the Strip, I assume you took the time to check out Meltdown, the comic shop? Best comic shop I've ever seen.

Eh, I'm not from anywhere interesting. If my location ever comes up in one of these "I'm going to ____" threads I'll mention it, if only to offer my condolences.

The page for Meltdown looks pretty cool but, sadly, I didn't make it there. There were so many places to shop at in that area I didn't have the time or energy to hit them all. When I staggered out of Amoeba Music I was so overwhelmed with the amount of things I wanted to buy while I was in there I didn't really have the energy to go anywhere else.

Iron D
3223th Post

"Re(7):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Wed 15 Jul 04:43post reply

quote:

Eh, I'm not from anywhere interesting. If my location ever comes up in one of these "I'm going to ____" threads I'll mention it, if only to offer my condolences.

The page for Meltdown looks pretty cool but, sadly, I didn't make it there. There were so many places to shop at in that area I didn't have the time or energy to hit them all. When I staggered out of Amoeba Music I was so overwhelmed with the amount of things I wanted to buy while I was in there I didn't really have the energy to go anywhere else.

Yep, my buddy and I actually went right by that place. I had never heard of it before (this was only my second time ever being on the Strip) and he told me it was the coolest music shop ever and that they had everything. We didn't get the chance to go in, but I was surprised to see that the place was still open after 11 pm.

My curiosity as to your origins is piqued now. When you say "nowhere interesting" I can only assume its some backwoods hole that no one has ever heard of and that no one actually goes to unless they end up there by accident. Which would be interesting seeing as such a place spawned such a unique individual.

Er.....

Maou
1716th Post

"Re(8):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Wed 15 Jul 07:15:post reply

quote:

My curiosity as to your origins is piqued now. When you say "nowhere interesting" I can only assume its some backwoods hole that no one has ever heard of and that no one actually goes to unless they end up there by accident. Which would be interesting seeing as such a place spawned such a unique individual.

I say we let Ish continue to be a man of mystery. But for the sake of screwing around, there's only one thing to do!

Where is Ishmael from?
Space
Des Moines
Nantucket harbor, Pequod docking area
Burma
Maine

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 15 Jul 07:25]

Iron D
3224th Post

"Re(9):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Wed 15 Jul 07:37post reply

quote:

I say we let Ish continue to be a man of mystery. But for the sake of screwing around, there's only one thing to do!

Poll

Oh, I was going to leave him alone about it. He doesn't have to tell me if he doesn't want to. But in the case of this poll, I'm going to go with Maine. After all, if I was from Maine, I wouldn't want to tell anybody either.

Er.....

Maou
1716th Post

"Re(10):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Wed 15 Jul 07:45post reply

quote:

Oh, I was going to leave him alone about it. He doesn't have to tell me if he doesn't want to. But in the case of this poll, I'm going to go with Maine. After all, if I was from Maine, I wouldn't want to tell anybody either.

Now now, Rockport is pretty and the fish are good.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Iron D
3227th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Wed 15 Jul 10:10post reply

quote:

Now now, Rockport is pretty and the fish are good.

Aw. I got no kick against Maine. I've never even been there. I was just trying to rile up the Maine fans (all six of them).

Er.....

Ishmael
3525th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):MMCafe travel sized edtion" , posted Thu 16 Jul 00:01post reply

Instead of talking about myself I should just let Maou make up a back-story for me. I'm certain it would be far more interesting than perfectly ordinary life I actually lead.

One note about myself: the newly implemented feature that lets searchers explore the depths of the MMCafe bbs shows that I've been dragging around this Jigen avatar forever. Even though I've switched it out a few times Jigen will always pop back up sooner or later.