Michael Jackson - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2587 Views )

Iron D
3194th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Michael Jackson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 08:03post reply

By now, you've all heard the news. Here's a thread for it. It will be interesting to see what the Cafeers have to say about this, since this is a...unique group of individuals (in a good way).

I have to say that it looked pretty damn bad with the stuff with the kids, but I still can't say that I wasn't a fan of his (at least I was at one point...in the early '90s....before the child molestation stuff came up) and I still love a couple of his songs ("Wanna Be Startin' Somethin" is the jam).

Its also funny that my family, friends, and I have been been taking bets on who would be the next celebrity to die and for years I would always guess Michael Jackson was next. And now that he actually IS...its kind of sad.

Kinda sad that Farrah Fawcett's death isn't being recognized by a lot of people. Can't say I was a big fan of hers, but a death is a death.

On the other hand, it looks like we'll finally be getting Thriller 2! Ooh....was that too soon?

Er.....

Replies:

Spoon
1770th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Michael Jackson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 09:36post reply

quote:
By now, you've all heard the news. Here's a thread for it. It will be interesting to see what the Cafeers have to say about this, since this is a...unique group of individuals (in a good way).

I have to say that it looked pretty damn bad with the stuff with the kids, but I still can't say that I wasn't a fan of his (at least I was at one point...in the early '90s....before the child molestation stuff came up) and I still love a couple of his songs ("Wanna Be Startin' Somethin" is the jam).

Its also funny that my family, friends, and I have been been taking bets on who would be the next celebrity to die and for years I would always guess Michael Jackson was next. And now that he actually IS...its kind of sad.

Kinda sad that Farrah Fawcett's death isn't being recognized by a lot of people. Can't say I was a big fan of hers, but a death is a death.

On the other hand, it looks like we'll finally be getting Thriller 2! Ooh....was that too soon?

I'll keep it short and just say he rocked my world.

Maou
1690th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Michael Jackson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 09:44:post reply

Crazy! Yeah, I never payed that much attention when I was a tiny kid in the 80's, which is probably the time period with the most important stuff, but pretty huge news.

AND to tie it to the Cafe: let's not forget that his sound team is tied to Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. And even if that music was lame compared to Dreams Come True's bassist in the first two, it's still pretty peppy.

I actually heard the unbelievable Sonic 3 end credit song before I heard Jackson's "Stranger in Moscow," which is clearly the model for the song. So on that note, it seems appropriate to play "end credits" as a RIP.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 26 Jun 09:50]

Ishmael
3510th Post

"Re(3):Michael Jackson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 10:05post reply

Michael Jackson always struck me as a very strange, sad figure. What was like to have everything and nothing at the same time? What sort of life could you have when you own a chimpanzee and had a giant Ozymandias-like statue of yourself floating down the Thames? It's a shame his musical legacy has become wrapped up in his odd life story but that's to be expected when a person becomes so astonishingly well known.

To end this on a slightly happier note, the Jackson 5 sung the best version of Santa Claus is Comin' To Town ever put to vinyl.

karasu99
158th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Michael Jackson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 11:05post reply

quote:
Michael Jackson always struck me as a very strange, sad figure.

This is about the best way of describing the latter-day MJ that I think I've heard, Ishmael.

I was a fan years ago, back in the late 70's and early 80's, and ever since then I kept hoping that he would somehow return to his earlier glory and creativity, but... he just got weirder and weirder. At his best, he was brilliant, and I'm honestly trying my best to remember him for those days, not the weirdness.

Phoenix
911th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):Michael Jackson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 11:21post reply

He will always be the KING. Nobody else even comes close. Thanks for the legacy you left behind, Michael.

nobinobita
546th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Michael Jackson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 11:35post reply

He will always be the king of pop. Truly an icon.

With his passing I suddenly feel like the 80s were a long time ago.

sfried
376th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Michael Jackson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 13:15post reply

It feel like part of my childhood just died...No. Part of my childhood really did just die.

This and David Carradine. It's like the same feeling you get after hearing Frank Sinatra is dead. It's surreal. You don't believe it.

ONSLAUGHT
3813th Post

"Maicol Yacson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 13:46post reply

I like some of his songs, but he was a caricature of a human being. I mean, what compells a man to try to change his whole ethnicity?

At the end his heart failed to beat it...

ktallguy
1108th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Michael Jackson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 15:01:post reply

King of Pop.
My first memory of a music video.

Play to win.

[this message was edited by ktallguy on Fri 26 Jun 15:02]

NARUTO
3708th Post

"Re(2):Michael Jackson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 16:55post reply

Deffinitely someone who have marked the history of music, in so many ways.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Ikari Loona
252th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Michael Jackson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 18:43post reply

And he was all worked up for 50 concerts and even got Lou Ferrigno as a personal trainer for the occasion...

Oh well, we'll always have Moonwalker (the game).

I really like his classic stuff, especially Smooth Criminal, but regardless of the stuff with his personal life, true or not, he was leaving a really strong impression of someone trying to succeed nowadays as he did back in the 80s, and it was getting a bit sad to see.
Sad to say it, this may have spared some further embarassments to the man...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Just a Person
1303th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Michael Jackson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 21:39post reply

Despite all the weirdness in the '90s and 2000's, Michael Jackson is undeniably a great singer, a great dancer and a great performer. And he brought us a lot of great songs, from "Beat It" to "Bad" to "Black Or White" to "Human Nature" and many others (BTW, it bothered me a lot when last year the Brazilian edition of his Greatest Hits album didn't include "They Don't Care About Us", which I consider one of his best songs despite its controversial lyrics).

He seemed to be getting better, and I wasn't expecting him to die so soon... he might have been mentally weird, but physically he seemed to be fine. It's a sad loss, that's for sure.

Well, I wonder if the "King of Pop" crown will now be passed to another singer (Justin Timberlake seems to be the most likely candidate for that) or if Michael will take the crown with him and no one will receive that title anymore.

(BTW, Farrah Fawcett died too?? Damn, I need to update myself more frequently...)

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

badoor
70th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Maicol Yacson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 22:05post reply

It is sad to hear that MJ, the king of pop, has died. I couldn't believe it at first when I got the message on my cell phone, though it was some sort of spam.I'll always remember him from the old day while trying not to remember much about his recent weirdness. Plus, he had an amazingly large an awesome collection of arcade games that he had auctioned recently which says a lot about the man's taste. It is sad that recently he is being remembered as a child molester disregarding the fact that he was proven not guilty.

http://kotaku.com/5160338/michael-jacksons-arcade-collection-is-insane

quote:
I like some of his songs, but he was a caricature of a human being. I mean, what compells a man to try to change his whole ethnicity?

At the end his heart failed to beat it...

Regarding his skin tone, from wikipedia it say that MJ had Vitiligo, a skin disease that changes the skin tone to a paler color, like tanning but reverse.

Toxico
4754th Post

"maiqel yakson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 22:20:post reply

quote:
http://kotaku.com/5160338/michael-jacksons-arcade-collection-is-insane

I was playing Tekken 2 yesterday thinking something like "what if someone of the size of Norio Wakamoto buys the farm?" Now I feel weird.

quote:

With his passing I suddenly feel like the 80s were a long time ago.

But it was..... 3 years ago?

Truthfully speaking, some of his work will always live on, regardless of anything. And for that I'm glad (every day, I walk by a huge 10m x 10m poster of "Thriller, the best selling album on history").

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 08/05/09 (99 personajes)

[this message was edited by Toxico on Fri 26 Jun 22:21]

badoor
71th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):maiqel yakson" , posted Fri 26 Jun 23:17post reply

You know what's even weirder? I was playing Super Castlevania IV mere hours before I heard the news and was doing the stair moonwalk while smooth criminal was playing in my head.

ONSLAUGHT
3814th Post

"Re(2):Maicol Yacson" , posted Sat 27 Jun 08:13post reply

quote:
wikipedia it say

Wikipedia can say anything, but that doesn't mean it's true.

GekigangerV
1621th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Maicol Yacson" , posted Sat 27 Jun 08:40post reply

quote:
wikipedia it say
Wikipedia can say anything, but that doesn't mean it's true.

There was something about vitiligo mentioned in the '94 ordeal Jackson had.

He made a statement that police were looking for evidence of vitiligo and Jackson said he had addressed it earlier. Link Here

I am not too sure how he addressed it before that statement though.

But that doesn't account for him changing his whole facial structure at the same time.

Anyways, I was a fan of his music. I need to play Space Channel 5 later. That game format would have suited a Micheal centric game very well. Moonwalker 2 or something.

Spoon
1771th Post

"Re(4):Maicol Yacson" , posted Sat 27 Jun 09:02post reply

quote:

Anyways, I was a fan of his music. I need to play Space Channel 5 later. That game format would have suited a Micheal centric game very well. Moonwalker 2 or something.

How about Captain EO?

The suit Space Michael wears I remember was colored like the Captain EO one, and Captain EO fired energy beams that freed the oppressed/brainwashed drones and converted them into his dance army.

I really liked Captain EO.

HAYATO
910th Post

"Re(4):Maicol Yacson" , posted Sat 27 Jun 09:25post reply

Undeniably one of the best modern music artists of all time, he (or should we use it to adress this guy?) will be greatly missed. As far as I'm concerned, Jacko was my favourite singer (sharing this hard-to-earn privilege with the late but almigthy Freddie Mercury) and his death has shocked me so deeply I didn't think even possible.

Now that most of my favourite artists are dead, made me realize how old I really am. What a depressing piece of news to begin my holidays with...

ONSLAUGHT
3815th Post

"Maicol Yacson dejo de ser el rey hace años" , posted Sat 27 Jun 10:07post reply

quote:
What a depressing piece of news to begin my holidays with...

But how is this depressing? I mean, it's not like he was this nonstop success machine from beginning to end, his career died what, 10 years ago? who honestly gave a shit about him let's say, last year?

I'm always puzzled at how the death of a celebrity can make anyone depressed. I admire lots of people, some celebrities included, but I wouldn't feel depressed/sad once they're dead. Of course I would be shocked but that's natural.

Bear in mind that I'm not shitting on his tomb or anything, I'm just genuinely astonished at the amount of "sad/depressed/grieving" people that pop up everytime a celebrity dies. He was just a shadow of hs former self and it's too bad he died, but come on, people die everyday, you just don't see the coverage 24/7.

I'm not against people remembering the deceased and talking about it, but getting depressed over it? are our lives so empty that we genuinely feel bad when a celebrity dies, like if he was some kind of messiah that touched our souls and changed our lives forever?

Toxico
4754th Post

"Re(1):Maicol Yacson dejo de ser el rey hace a" , posted Sat 27 Jun 11:00post reply

quote:

I'm not against people remembering the deceased and talking about it, but getting depressed over it? are our lives so empty that we genuinely feel bad when a celebrity dies, like if he was some kind of messiah that touched our souls and changed our lives forever?

People are taught etiquette and manners since the beginning (apologizing for bumping someone, don't stand in the way uselessly, don't take a piss on public and so on). So people enjoy enforcing those manners more than others, and take the chance to show how it. Or those very same teachings made them feel sympathetic when it's due.

Also, never look down an afro. Specially if it's a natural born one.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 08/05/09 (99 personajes)

Maese Spt
502th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Maicol Yacson dejo de ser el rey hace a" , posted Sat 27 Jun 12:05post reply

This time it's me who thinks I'm a horrible person myself, because I did not give a shit about MJ having died, not even blinked my eyes. I mean, I liked his stuff and all, but he has been pretty much "dead" for the last 15 years. A megastar dies when he/she does not release any significant works anymore. His artistic legacy will live on, tough.

Anyway, listen to Onsy. That man speaks the truth.

ONSLAUGHT
3816th Post

"Re(2):Maicol Yacson dejo de ser el rey hace a" , posted Sat 27 Jun 12:08post reply

quote:

People are taught etiquette and manners since the beginning (apologizing for bumping someone, don't stand in the way uselessly, don't take a piss on public and so on). So people enjoy enforcing those manners more than others, and take the chance to show how it. Or those very same teachings made them feel sympathetic when it's due.

Since you missed my whole point, and since my english is getting worse with time, I will post it in spanish:

Sentir pena por alguien que ha muerto (y a quien en realidad nunca conocimos) es normal, pero decir que te arruina el dia, que te deprime, que es algo tragico personalmente hablando... ¿no es un poco extremo?, ¿exagerado?, ¿falso?. No es que haya muerto un familiar o un amigo, sino alguien a quien probablemente jamas hayamos visto en persona y alguien a quien jamas conocimos en realidad...
No tiene nada que ver el demostrar sensibilidad o simpatia por alguien que murio con decir que te afecta, cuando en realidad no es asi. No dudo que debe haber uno que otro loco cuya vida giraba alrededor de Jackson, pero creo que son muy pocos (y todas las celebridades deben tener algun fan loco de este tipo en algun punto en sus carreras).

Iron D
3196th Post

"Re(1):Maicol Yacson dejo de ser el rey hace a" , posted Sat 27 Jun 18:27post reply

quote:
What a depressing piece of news to begin my holidays with...

But how is this depressing? I mean, it's not like he was this nonstop success machine from beginning to end, his career died what, 10 years ago? who honestly gave a shit about him let's say, last year?

I'm always puzzled at how the death of a celebrity can make anyone depressed. I admire lots of people, some celebrities included, but I wouldn't feel depressed/sad once they're dead. Of course I would be shocked but that's natural.

Bear in mind that I'm not shitting on his tomb or anything, I'm just genuinely astonished at the amount of "sad/depressed/grieving" people that pop up everytime a celebrity dies. He was just a shadow of hs former self and it's too bad he died, but come on, people die everyday, you just don't see the coverage 24/7.

I can definitely understand being sad about the death of someone you haven't met. Sure people die every day and don't get as much attention, but then again not everyone is as well known as MJ. And let's face it, the more popular a person is, the more of an impact their death will have overall.

Its a sad truth, but the reality is that not everyone will care if Joe Average dies. That isn't to say that Joe Average doesn't deserve credit and remembrance, but he's just not nearly as popular.

On top of that, its also understandable that the death of someone who has made so many songs that are loved by so many can be a depressing event, even if he hadn't had that big of a hit in so long. If someone creates something that becomes near and dear to you (like a song) then that person's passing then becomes that much more important to you.

I'll tell you this: when Miyamato dies, I'll be crushed. Have I ever met him? Nope. Not even close. But he is a person who brought a lot of fun into my life with the games he helped create, and if he never makes another hit game again for the rest of his life I'll still be sad when he dies.

Its the way that someone can connect with so many without meeting them. Human interaction and emotion goes deeper than just meeting someone face to face.

That said, I'm not saying that you or Maese Spt are bad people for not caring whether or not MJ died. MJ's passing, like everyone's passing, had more of an effect on some people than others.

Damn, that was a long post.

Er.....

Hagen de Merak
1013th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Maicol Yacson dejo de ser el rey hace a" , posted Sat 27 Jun 18:28post reply

quote:

Since you missed my whole point, and since my english is getting worse with time, I will post it in spanish:

Sentir pena por alguien que ha muerto (y a quien en realidad nunca conocimos) es normal, pero decir que te arruina el dia, que te deprime, que es algo tragico personalmente hablando... ¿no es un poco extremo?, ¿exagerado?, ¿falso?. No es que haya muerto un familiar o un amigo, sino alguien a quien probablemente jamas hayamos visto en persona y alguien a quien jamas conocimos en realidad...
No tiene nada que ver el demostrar sensibilidad o simpatia por alguien que murio con decir que te afecta, cuando en realidad no es asi. No dudo que debe haber uno que otro loco cuya vida giraba alrededor de Jackson, pero creo que son muy pocos (y todas las celebridades deben tener algun fan loco de este tipo en algun punto en sus carreras).

hey cabron. segun mi primo ya ten mando el paquete, asi que ponte trucha.

ONSLAUGHT
3818th Post

"Re(4):Maicol Yacson dejo de ser el rey hace a" , posted Sat 27 Jun 18:33post reply

quote:

hey cabron. segun mi primo ya ten mando el paquete, asi que ponte trucha.

¿Cuando? ¿tiene numero de guia? ¿por donde lo mando?

HAYATO
911th Post

"Re(3):Maicol Yacson FTW!!!" , posted Sun 28 Jun 00:45post reply

quote:

Hey Onsy, I was talking in a figurative way. I mean, his death came so suddenly that it shocked me far more than it would have in case it happened, let's say in 15 years' time. Everybody knows he was a human science project (undergoing so many surgery operations must have put a heavy toll on his body) and he wasn't going to last long (at least not as long as the average Joe does) as a result for this, but I never expected he'd die so soon...

What I found depressing is the fact that I'm getting older and gradually more dettached from modern entertainment tendences (be it films, music, videogames, etc). And that's what Jacko's death made me reminisce of, as simple as that...

Well, at least a whole week lying on the beach under Ibiza's sun will surely help me to forget about my unrelenting biological decadence... or so I hope!!!

Iggy
8934th Post

"Re(4):Maicol Yacson" , posted Tue 30 Jun 08:47post reply

quote:
I need to play Space Channel 5 later. That game format would have suited a Micheal centric game very well. Moonwalker 2 or something.

Believe it or not, SC5 actually happens 500 years after Moonwalker, in the same universe. So it's as close as a sequel as you can get.

As for his death, I'm actually relieved. He won't be able to make any more a fool of himself, and he won't be doing more of the uninspired/bad/pathetic music he's been doing more and more often after Dangerous. Now we can stop making jokes on what he became and remember the particular era we liked (Off the Wall all the way for me).

As for being sad for his death, he seemed so unhappy and unfit to live a healthy life that I can't see why I would be sad for something he might very well be happy about.

Spoon
1775th Post

"Re(5):Maicol Yacson" , posted Wed 1 Jul 02:51post reply

quote:
I need to play Space Channel 5 later. That game format would have suited a Micheal centric game very well. Moonwalker 2 or something.
Believe it or not, SC5 actually happens 500 years after Moonwalker, in the same universe. So it's as close as a sequel as you can get.

I always thought of Space Channel 5 as being rather like Captain EO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Zt-57Cg0U#t=1m30s

Tai-Pan
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Maicol Yacson" , posted Wed 1 Jul 04:08post reply

quote:

As for his death, I'm actually relieved. He won't be able to make any more a fool of himself, and he won't be doing more of the uninspired/bad/pathetic music he's been doing more and more often after Dangerous. Now we can stop making jokes on what he became and remember the particular era we liked (Off the Wall all the way for me).

As for being sad for his death, he seemed so unhappy and unfit to live a healthy life that I can't see why I would be sad for something he might very well be happy about.

So heartless.....

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"