the Gyakuten Kenji thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1867 Views )

Freeter
4457th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"the Gyakuten Kenji thread" , posted Sat 30 May 04:44post reply

First inFAMOUS, then Cross Edge, now GK...my weekend's going to be busy.

Haven't played it yet, so I just want to know how it's faring in Japan. Does it redeem the failure that was GS4?

And feel free to spoil (using spoiler tags, of course). I'm hoping a certain mystic sidekick makes a cameo.

Replies:

chazumaru
670th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):the Gyakuten Kenji thread" , posted Sat 30 May 20:54post reply

quote:
Haven't played it yet, so I just want to know how it's faring in Japan. Does it redeem the failure that was GS4?

GS4 was a huge success (although it turned off many hardcore/old-time fans) and first day sales indicate Gyakuten Kenji will follow the same steps.

Indeed, we all want to see Maya/Mayoi as one of the corpses.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Pollyanna
2678th Post

"Re(2):the Gyakuten Kenji thread" , posted Sun 31 May 06:57post reply

Even thought Mitsurugi is my favorite character, for some reason I just can't get excited about this. I didn't even dislike GS4, really...I just thought it was unnecessary. I think my feeling of satisfaction was SO strong after GS3, that years later, I still don't feel the need for any more.

I wish the original creators would do something new, though...

Ah! I should be excited about the character designs at least, though. Even if I wasn't nuts about GS4, I'm always looking at the art in the guidebook.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Olivier Hague
133th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):the Gyakuten Kenji thread" , posted Sun 31 May 07:13post reply

quote:

Did Takumi Shû even work on this one though?

Freeter
4458th Post

"Re(4):the Gyakuten Kenji thread" , posted Mon 1 Jun 10:45post reply

quote:

I don't think he did. It was the producers of GS2 and 3, I believe.

Partly through case 2 right now, and so far I'm liking it. Lots of fanservice right off the bat with some familiar faces and notable cameos(hello Steel Samurai and Blue Badger).

Music's a mixed bag. Some tracks are good but so far I haven't heard anything exceptional.

Gameplay feels like classic GS, and the new elements fit in well. Testimonies are still intact, although now that the action is on the spot instead of the courtroom, it feels a lot more confrontational (especially when there are multiple characters on screen).

No sign of the new sidekick yet, although based on the walkthrough I'm using, a certain von Karma is headed my way...

Iggy
8914th Post

"Re(5):the Gyakuten Kenji thread" , posted Mon 1 Jun 22:11post reply

quote:

I don't think he did. It was the producers of GS2 and 3, I believe.

We're not talking of the same person here. Takushû was the original writer/director of the first 3 (well, unfortunately, 4) games.

Professor
2541th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):the Gyakuten Kenji thread" , posted Mon 1 Jun 23:57:post reply

quote:
First inFAMOUS, then Cross Edge, now GK...my weekend's going to be busy.

And feel free to spoil (using spoiler tags, of course). I'm hoping a certain mystic sidekick makes a cameo.

I've finished it and I liked it, though I'm not sure if it's the play mechanics or the joy of seeing the old characters that had me thrilled. Maybe a little of both, considering you get to see the characters in pixel art/sprites this time.

Gameplaywise, I thought it was going to be like the old Lucasarts adventures but it's different. You can't freely move between areas. It's more like a game where each chapter is divided into rooms. You solve mysteries in one room, which then raises new questions, and you proceed to the next room. Each chapter has about 4-6 rooms so game mechanic wise, it can feel a bit monotonous since you go searching for clues and do witness testimonies in every room. But the scripts well make up for that. I like the idea of a sidekick following you whereever you go, kind of like in Sam & Max.

Anyhoos, some spoilers

Q1: Who comes out, who doesn't?

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
May(Franziska) plays a dominant role in the game, as does Itonoko(Gumeshoe). Joining in as new support characters throughout the game are the girl theif Ikumo and international detective Rou.

Yahari(Larry), Akane(Ema Skye) and Ms.Oba(Oldbag) also come out, though their roles are limited. In fact, a lot of other Minor characters also play roles including Mako(Maggey), Saibancho(The Judge), Haihara(Mike Meekins), Gou(Manfred von Karma), and Missile(the dog from Part1).

Some characters appear only as a part of the background and the ones that I've noticed are Natsumi(Lotta Hart), Uzai Takuya(Sal Manella), and Auchi(Winston Payne). Likewise, there's a lot of subtle references to the original trilogy.

Naruhodo and the Ayasato(Fay)sisters don't appear in the game and references to them are kept to the minimum. In fact, I don't think there were any mentions of the Ayasatos. Same goes with Godot, which is a bit ironic because there's some references in the game about the last case in the trilogy.

End of Spoiler

Q2: When does the game take place?

Game takes place after 3. So in a way, it's a spin-off but also a sequel.

End of Spoiler

Q3: Any major surprizes?

One of the chapters is a flashback that's set 7 years before the game, and you get to play Mitsurugi(Edgeworth) on his first assignment. May(Franziska) is your partner during that chapter and she's like.. 12. And she's already got a whip.

End of Spoiler

Edit: finished the game last night. Last chapter is long!

[this message was edited by Professor on Tue 2 Jun 09:24]

Sensenic
1674th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Saihai no yukue?" , posted Tue 2 Jun 20:01post reply

May I hijack this thread for a little while?

quote:

What about some new "creators" doing the "original" game?

I've been wanting to ask about this game for a while, but never got around to it:
Have you people played Koei's Saihai no yukue? What do you think about it?

A friend of mine told me about it when I was in Japan in April, and I was really surprised that I hadn't read anything about it here... I mean, it is a Gyakuten Saiban-style game ambiented in the feudal Japan era after all (I'm thinking particularly of a certain Maese, who happens to love both topics)

I got to try it out recently. Played the first chapter and, albeit unoriginal (follows the GS formula all too strictly, bratty sidekick included -_- ), found it quite smart, how they managed to sneak the GS mechanics in what apparently should have been a strategy game.

貧乳神・・・

"Don't give me that crap about real life. There ain't no such animal."
-Felix Leiter-

Maese Spt
487th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Saihai no yukue?" , posted Tue 2 Jun 21:44post reply

SENSENIC CASTS SUMMON MAESE ++

quote:
Have you people played Koei's Saihai no yukue? What do you think about it?

SUMMON MAESE ++ IS SUPER EFFECTIVE

I saw the game in last year TGS and totally loved that idea of a Sekigahara setting with Mitsunari as the hero and old badger Ieyasu as the villain... Had not heard anything from it since then, tough, so I'm so glad to see the project has finally materialized. But for the life of me I would swear it was a strategy game, so how exactly is it similar to Gyakuten Saiban...?

Anyway, after clicking in the link I am totally and utterly sold. The music really reminds me of GS, and the characters have that "Gyakutenish" feeling too. Gotta love lolicious Hideaki. It's so fucking witty to make him a trap!

Aaaaand, last but not least, many thanks to the Prof. for sharing his impressions about Gyakuten Kenji!

I had many doubts regarding this game, mainly because I (for once) feel much like Polly about this series: anything beyond GS3 seems pointless... But it seems I could take on some prosecution chores for nostalgia's sake. I am highly dissapointed

not having Naruhodo in the game

End of Spoiler

tough.

Sensenic
1678th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Saihai no yukue?" , posted Wed 3 Jun 17:23:post reply

quote:

But for the life of me I would swear it was a strategy game, so how exactly is it similar to Gyakuten Saiban...?

Well, similar in the sense of "copy and paste exactly the same formula" similar?

Instead of investigation phase, you've got "info recopilation" phase, where you go around camps checking the status of the war, talking to other commanders, trying to earn their trust and gathering info.

Instead of trials, you've got battles (and here comes the only "novelty" and the only strategy component): You have your squadrons and your enemies' ones on screen. Instead of questioning (matta!) you have "reporting" (asking a squad to report on their situation), and instead of "objection", giving orders such as retreat, advance, attack... And then it happens that some allied commander may not want to obey your orders, and the game enters its own "cross-examination": you have to convince the squad commander that your plans are better than his by arguing with him using info gathered from before.

Hope I made myself clear... ^_^;
As I said, unoriginal, as they copy the formula in its entirety and only add a new gimmick (minor strategy component), but smart and well implemented.

貧乳神・・・

"Don't give me that crap about real life. There ain't no such animal."
-Felix Leiter-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Wed 3 Jun 17:25]

Maese Spt
489th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Saihai no yukue?" , posted Thu 4 Jun 15:12post reply

quote:

you have to convince the squad commander that your plans are better than his by arguing with him using info gathered from before.

Thanks for the input; after checking the game's website I more or less got the gist of the "persuade" command and such.

I think it's an absolutely brilliant idea for a Sekigahara setting. This has to be the most clever premise for a game I've seen in years! I wonder how well its been actually implemented, but it has LOTS of potential. How many turns will it take to persuade shota-Hideaki to take the field...? Play the next chapter if you would know!

Professor
2541th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):the Gyakuten Kenji thread" , posted Fri 5 Jun 20:19post reply

Quick fix on my part regarding Gyakuten Keji

I've spotted Mayoi and the the Ayasato Sisters in one of the backgrounds.

End of Spoiler

IMO, Saihai no Yukue is a pretty good Gyakuten Saiban clone. It's all so similar, even to the adventure part where you seach the background with the crosshair cursor. Storywise, the main character even has an ability where he can see into people's hearts, kind of like Naruhodo's Psycho-lock.

Zepy
1543th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):the Gyakuten Kenji thread" , posted Wed 10 Jun 23:18post reply

I finished Gyakuten Kenji now and I loved it!

I hope they make a second game with Auchi where you lose hair for every mistake you make.

Professor
2542th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):the Gyakuten Kenji thread" , posted Thu 11 Jun 00:09post reply

quote:
I finished Gyakuten Kenji now and I loved it!

I hope they make a second game with Auchi where you lose hair for every mistake you make.

That's like, one mistake and it's over.

And oops, one mistake in my previous spoiler

I meant that I've spotted Naruhodo and the Ayasato Sisters. Third chapter FYI.

End of Spoiler