Ishmael
3486th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):KOF XII Spring thread" , posted Fri 22 May 04:55post reply

quote:
Joe vs Elisabeth.

... American voices ?

I wish they had used a character other than the Engrish speaking Joe for the debut of the dubbed voices. It would have given a better indication of what was going to be translated into English, what was going to be left alone and any other changes that might be made to accomodate the voice actors. While I could look to Elizabeth's vocals for answers I don't even remember what her original voice sounded like.

crazymike
1501th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):KOF XII Spring thread" , posted Fri 22 May 10:53post reply

Just wondering, what has been SNK's disregard for not having your teammates standing in the background watching anymore? If anything this title especially needs it with so few backgrounds.

Gojira
2526th Post

"Re(3):KOF XII Spring thread" , posted Fri 22 May 19:29post reply

quote:
Just wondering, what has been SNK's disregard for not having your teammates standing in the background watching anymore? If anything this title especially needs it with so few backgrounds.

99: partners could be strikers so they had to come from off-screen
2k: strikers again
2k1: strikers
2k2: could have done it, but Eolith didn't care
2k3: tagging in and out from off-screen
XI: tagging again

XII could theoretically do it, but I think they're too used to not bothering by now.

shipoopi

Just a Person
1300th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):KOF XII Spring thread" , posted Fri 22 May 22:07post reply

quote:

Yes, it would be great! Seeing your teammates (who were also controlled by you, but anyway...) in the background cheering for you was one of the coolest things in KoF.

Anyway, does anyone know if KoF XII will have a story? I know the Arcade version is just a dream match game, but it seems the home versions will have a lot of things the Arcade didn't have, quite like SFIV, so maybe it could be the game that finishes (or at least continues) the Ash story arc, after all...

(plus, seeing Mature - and hopefully Vice as well - reappearing alive and well would be a great surprise for Kyo and the other people)

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

Freeter
4455th Post

"Re(4):KOF XII Spring thread" , posted Sat 23 May 03:37post reply

quote:

99: partners could be strikers so they had to come from off-screen
2k: strikers again
2k1: strikers
2k2: could have done it, but Eolith didn't care
2k3: tagging in and out from off-screen
XI: tagging again

XII could theoretically do it, but I think they're too used to not bothering by now.

Neowave didn't have strikers, right?

Gojira
2527th Post

"Re(5):KOF XII Spring thread" , posted Sat 23 May 03:57post reply

quote:

Neowave didn't have strikers, right?

Neowave didn't have a lot of things.

shipoopi

Spoon
1762th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):KOF XII Spring thread" , posted Sat 23 May 07:27post reply

quote:
Joe vs Elisabeth.

... American voices ?

One of the arcades here in BC with the game has it set to English vocals, while another has it set to JP vocals. I hear the English voices are kind of goofy.

Then again, in SF4, English-voiced Guile shouts "FLASH KICK!" instead of "SOMERSAULT!". I guess they were worried about people thinking that what the characters say doesn't match with what the movelist calls the move?

Korigama
123th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):KOF XII Spring thread" , posted Sat 23 May 10:34post reply

quote:

Yes, it would be great! Seeing your teammates (who were also controlled by you, but anyway...) in the background cheering for you was one of the coolest things in KoF.

Anyway, does anyone know if KoF XII will have a story? I know the Arcade version is just a dream match game, but it seems the home versions will have a lot of things the Arcade didn't have, quite like SFIV, so maybe it could be the game that finishes (or at least continues) the Ash story arc, after all...

(plus, seeing Mature - and hopefully Vice as well - reappearing alive and well would be a great surprise for Kyo and the other people)

No story, no boss...just a time trial. If anything, it's too limited to even be considered a dreammatch, either (more like a beta for XIII, really).

chazumaru
669th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Fri 29 May 07:13post reply

KOF XII Dot Art website

Quite unexpected from SNKP.
Reminds of Capcom's communication around Street Fighter III, which I guess is worrying for SNKP's finances.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

nobinobita
534th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Fri 29 May 12:37post reply

quote:
KOF XII Dot Art website

Quite unexpected from SNKP.
Reminds of Capcom's communication around Street Fighter III, which I guess is worrying for SNKP's finances.

Thanks a million. Seeing that pixel art made my heart beat really fast. It looks so great!

I'm glad there are (presumably) enough people around that still care about dot art. I feel like I'm receiving a gift every time I see KOFXII in detail.

Did Capcom have similar promotional material going on with Street Fighter III? Could someone post a link to more info if they have it?

Also, does anyone think that the intentionally pixelated look of the game could hurt it in America? I think there will always be a niche audience that appreciates pixel art, but alot of people seem really averse to pixelation and see it as some sort of glaring error.

I wonder if there's a way to play KOFXII with scan lines.

nobinobita
535th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Fri 29 May 12:58post reply

oh man, I've been going through the characters frame by frame... this is the most beautiful game since Third Strike. There's so many good decisions going on in every single frame. The color choices and the optical blending are insanely good. I love how the shadows have a very hot saturated edge to them. I also love how they aren't afraid to dial down the details for certain parts of the characters for certain animations and leave them flat. Each frame is a masterpiece of measured choices, and in motion, it's just... well, like seriously...i could cry, I'm so happy to see a game made with this kind of (very particular) care.

Spoon
1765th Post

"Re(3):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Fri 29 May 13:58post reply

quote:
oh man, I've been going through the characters frame by frame... this is the most beautiful game since Third Strike. There's so many good decisions going on in every single frame. The color choices and the optical blending are insanely good. I love how the shadows have a very hot saturated edge to them. I also love how they aren't afraid to dial down the details for certain parts of the characters for certain animations and leave them flat. Each frame is a masterpiece of measured choices, and in motion, it's just... well, like seriously...i could cry, I'm so happy to see a game made with this kind of (very particular) care.

One of the little things I noticed is that there is a lot more self-shadowing in the sprites than I normally see in most other fighting games. Like in that motion B clip for Ash, you can see the shadows cast on his body from his hair and his arm movement.

I'm pretty sure that having a basis for consistent self-shadowing came as one of the benefits of their use of pre-rendered frames via 3D models, but having such an effect baked into the sprites looks a little odd in certain stages (like the Egypt stage) where the arena doesn't give the sense of being illuminated from high above.

Grave
1166th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Fri 29 May 16:21post reply

quote:
Also, does anyone think that the intentionally pixelated look of the game could hurt it in America? I think there will always be a niche audience that appreciates pixel art, but alot of people seem really averse to pixelation and see it as some sort of glaring error.

Judging by the typical level of idiotic comments on Kotaku and (even worse) the Playstation Blog, yes, I do think so. I will use my vast amounts of free time to hunt these people down and make them bite the curb! Or I will permanently damage their eyes so everything looks like it has awful vaseline filters. See how they like it then!

quote:

I wonder if there's a way to play KOFXII with scan lines.

You're trying to summon Recap, right? I think you have to say it three times.

...well, maybe not after last time, I guess!

kofoguz
708th Post

"Re(3):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sat 30 May 02:56post reply

quote:

Its funny people from other forums compare the sprites to the BB or GG sprites. No offense but comparing these, is like comparing beautifully hand woven turkish or persian rug to any other hand woven rug from somewhere random. They could look good but never be as beautiful, detailed and full quality as the turkish or persian ones. LOL, people.

And they think size is not HD.

[sigtag][/sigtag]

nobinobita
536th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sat 30 May 06:33post reply

quote:

You're trying to summon Recap, right? I think you have to say it three times.

...well, maybe not after last time, I guess!

Last night I went into the bathroom, turned off the lights, lit a candle and said his name 3 times fast.

To my surprise Recap appeared through my mirror and gave me corrective eye surgery using a cathode ray tube! Now my entire field of vision is interlaced!

Pollyanna
2677th Post

"Re(4):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sat 30 May 13:09post reply

I've spent a number of hours with the game now and I'm just sort of...confused.

I don't dislike it and I definitely have fun playing it, but if you asked me "how do you like the new systems?", I wouldn't know how to answer, because nothing seems to come together quite right. I don't know what the developers were thinking. I don't mean that in a "what the hell were they thinking!?" kind of way...more like "how am I supposed to make this come together?"

I'd like to see someone "good" play the game. I've seen people play it like a normal KOF and do well, but it has so many new ideas, it seems like the "right" way to play it should be a little different. Nothing in the game rubs me the wrong way, but I'm starting to think they just threw out a bunch of new ideas without any thought of how they would play out or work together.

The CD counter is very easy to get the hang of, but I've never seen an effective way to set up for a critical counter. It seems like it's just a flashing bar that makes people nervous and randomly results in lots of damage if you happen to get it off.

Also, I can't connect with a normal throw to save my life. Command throws are fine, but I whiff like...3/5 normal ones.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Ishmael
3497th Post

"Re(5):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sat 6 Jun 01:47post reply

BTW, the site has been updated with Terry, Kim and Ralf. Heaven knows why you would want to sit around studying Ralf's sprites but the option is there if you want it.

Just a Person
1301th Post

"Re(6):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sat 6 Jun 02:56post reply

quote:
Heaven knows why you would want to sit around studying Ralf's sprites but the option is there if you want it.

Maybe it's to know the effect of steroids on a human body.

I can be any person in the world... maybe I'm this person right in front of you... maybe I'm not.

nobinobita
540th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sat 6 Jun 14:39:post reply

quote:
Heaven knows why you would want to sit around studying Ralf's sprites but the option is there if you want it.

Maybe it's to know the effect of steroids on a human body.

Ya know, that's exactly why I like his sprite. It's clear he's been juicing. He reminds me of friends I had in High School who suddenly got friggin ripped and huge one year and I later found out they were on steroids.

Many games feature people who look like they are on steroids, but it's unintentional. It's usually just the style of the game. Whereas Ralph and Clark in KOF XII actually look like they've been taking some sorta supplements. Unlike Raiden or Goro, their bulk doesn't look natural. I really like that level of specificity. Everyone in that game has a unique, well thought out, appropriate body type, and that's just really awesome.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 6 Jun 15:53]

Maese Spt
496th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sun 7 Jun 11:12post reply

quote:
Whereas Ralph and Clark in KOF XII actually look like they've been taking some sorta supplements. Unlike Raiden or Goro, their bulk doesn't look natural. I really like that level of specificity. Everyone in that game has a unique, well thought out, appropriate body type, and that's just really awesome.

Fascinating. Following such train of thought, I'd say Athena has injected botox on her ankles.

Ishmael
3498th Post

"Re(9):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Mon 8 Jun 03:36post reply

But the question before us is what did Ralf and Clark hope to gain by juicing up to such absurd levels? Considering these guys used to be able to twist their torsos around 360 degrees it's not like there was anything to prove as far as their physical prowess went.

Ikari Loona
250th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Mon 8 Jun 17:47post reply

quote:
But the question before us is what did Ralf and Clark hope to gain by juicing up to such absurd levels? Considering these guys used to be able to twist their torsos around 360 degrees it's not like there was anything to prove as far as their physical prowess went.

Especially now that they're not expected to Super Agentina Backbreak Chang + metal ball again anytime soon.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Ishmael
3499th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Wed 10 Jun 23:45post reply

Some new, somewhat uninspired footage of the game. Considering how easily the dirt would show on those white slacks Iori really shouldn't be rolling around on the ground like that.

Oh, and the video confirms that Mai is not in the game.

nobinobita
540th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Thu 11 Jun 15:17post reply

quote:
But the question before us is what did Ralf and Clark hope to gain by juicing up to such absurd levels?

Perhaps the pressure of constant competition has driven them to steroid abuse. Or maybe they have Body Dismorphic Disorder? Or perhaps, like many body builders, they are just muscle otaku.

GekigangerV
1620th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Fri 12 Jun 01:38:post reply

Benimaru and Raiden have been added to the sprite page as well as the Russia stage.

I thought this would be as good as place as any to post this. KOF movie promotional images

Link Here

I don't know if this will be JVCD Street Fighter quality of Legend of Chun-Li quality.

I also took some of the sprites that are on the loading page of the KOF sprite website and put them back together

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/Iori.gif

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/Kyo.gif

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/Kensou.gif

I know the timing is off on some of them, but I am too lazy to fine tune it.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Fri 12 Jun 01:39]

Professor
2543th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(3):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sat 13 Jun 15:38post reply

Small note- I've played the console versions today, it's not surprising but the game has no boss.

Iggy
8924th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sat 13 Jun 20:21post reply

quote:
Small note- I've played the console versions today, it's not surprising but the game has no boss.

Could you play Mature and Zabeth? Do they still have a very limited move list, especially Mature, or did they receive some more options?

Professor
2545th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(5):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sat 13 Jun 22:27:post reply

quote:

Could you play Mature and Zabeth? Do they still have a very limited move list, especially Mature, or did they receive some more options?

They were in the game, yes. I used them but I've neglected to check their moves list. From what I played, Mature seemed quite limited; what you've seen in videos up to date is pretty much all she has. That is, she had her Metal Massacre, Despair, and Heaven's Gate DM. And that's it. No DeathBlow, Sacrilege or Ebony Tears.

Karma May actually feels complete compared to some of the other fighters. That said, she only had moves shown in promos up to date, nothing new.

Also, the game keeps its 5 stage time trial format.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 13 Jun 22:56]

Burning Ranger
1607th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sat 13 Jun 23:11post reply

quote:

As in they haven't added the boss yet, or KOF XII didn't have a boss to begin with? That's a bummer...

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Toxico
4744th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sun 14 Jun 01:04post reply

quote:

Karma May actually feels complete compared to some of the other fighters. That said, she only had moves shown in promos up to date, nothing new.

Also, the game keeps its 5 stage time trial format.

Did they added absolutely anything aside from the 2 extra characters? (which where hinted to be more than 2 at one point, but I won't go into that). Something like new stages, taunts, voices or extra side content in the game?

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 08/05/09 (99 personajes)

Ishmael
3501th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sun 14 Jun 04:14post reply

Thanks for the news Professor even if it isn't encouraging.

While the pics of the live action KoF that GekigangerV posted are ripe for teasing I find I don't have that much schadenfreude in me. The way that SNK is pushing ahead with KoF XII in spite of the inevitable outcome is becoming difficult to watch. At this point SNK has become the King Lear of video game companies.

GekigangerV
1620th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sun 14 Jun 08:38post reply

quote:

I knew there was a small chance of a boss, but it would have been nice if they made Orochi Iori/Leona bosses. Aren't they just different standing/running/ducking animations with a few different facial expressions here and there and a few new frames to a DM.

Freeter
4463th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sun 14 Jun 12:29post reply

Should have used puppet girl as the boss. She could control a random character to fight you while she hovers behind him/her, and she can summon other random characters as strikers.

It shouldn't take too much effort to draw her since she wouldn't have any direct attacks/specials. Well, maybe one attack where she can paralyze you for a few seconds and have her "dolls" use you as a punching bag.

The other lazier solution would be to show Ash using Chizuru's mirror and doing a "mirror match"

Maese Spt
499th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sun 14 Jun 13:51post reply

I refused to believe it at first, but I guess it was true after all... How comes a fighting game does not even feature a final boss? KOF XII feels almost like a demo; you can't call this a complete product.

Sigh, it's a shame SNK went trough so much trouble and efforts to pull out such a magnificent looking game, with all its glamour, grandeur and reminiscences of the old times, to end up offering a mere coitus interruptus.

Professor
2546th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(6):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Mon 15 Jun 20:43:post reply

quote:
As in they haven't added the boss yet, or KOF XII didn't have a boss to begin with? That's a bummer...
The arcade release didn't have a boss, and it played as a time trial game. I was hoping things would be different in the console version, but apparently things haven't changed.

quote:
I refused to believe it at first, but I guess it was true after all... How comes a fighting game does not even feature a final boss? KOF XII feels almost like a demo; you can't call this a complete product.

Sigh, it's a shame SNK went trough so much trouble and efforts to pull out such a magnificent looking game, with all its glamour, grandeur and reminiscences of the old times, to end up offering a mere coitus interruptus.

IMO, it seems like SNK just spent too much time trying to perfect the game's graphic quality that they released it really half-baked to hit shipment. It looks great with its KOF97 atmosphere, and it's really a pity that the game plays like a "KOFXII Version 0.5" rather than a full product.

Quality over quantity is usually a good thing, but even that has its limits, like the characters not having any taunts, only having one victory pose, and no character-to-character prefight demos.

And even moreso when it effects game mechanics. The chararacters in KOFXII don't have distant attack motions. That's to say, if you were using Terry and you pressed fierce punch, you'd do his close-range punch no matter how far the opponent is. I'm hoping that this would be updated in the console version (I forgot to check it, but I doubt it.)

quote:
Did they added absolutely anything aside from the 2 extra characters? (which where hinted to be more than 2 at one point, but I won't go into that). Something like new stages, taunts, voices or extra side content in the game?
I didn't see any new stages. Taunts, I'm not sure, but seeing how incomplete Mature felt, I doubt it. The console version features online play, gallery mode, and a replay mode where you can view and upload gameplays. There's also a Marketplace mode where you can purchase additional content (hopefully it'll be more than just wallpapers). Also good news to PS3 owners, the game can be installed on the HDD to cut back on load time.

[this message was edited by Professor on Mon 15 Jun 23:24]

Freeter
4464th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Mon 15 Jun 23:28post reply

quote:

Quality over quantity is usually a good thing, but even that has its limits, like the characters not having any taunts, only having one victory pose, and no character-to-character prefight demos.

They didn't even add burn reactions. Even KOF94 had those.

quote:
And even moreso when it effects game mechanics. The chararacters in KOFXII don't have distant attack motions. That's to say, if you were using Terry and you pressed fierce punch, you'd do his close-range attack no matter how far the opponent is. I'm hoping that this would be updated in the console version (I forgot to check it, but I doubt it.)

So people can Kusanagi far C cancel -> special/super with anyone? That would be pretty broken...

Just a Person
1302th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Tue 16 Jun 00:23post reply

quote:
That's a bummer...The arcade release didn't have a boss, and it played as a time trial game. I was hoping things would be different in the console version, but apparently things haven't changed.

But was the KoF XII console version you played the final version, the one that will be released? Or could it be just a beta version, and the version that will be effectively released is still being finished and therefore could have features that you didn't see?

Because if the console version has only Mature and Elizabeth as extra features, I'd rather have SNK working on this game for one extra year to deliver a more complete game...

Spoon
1767th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Tue 16 Jun 03:45post reply

quote:

And even moreso when it effects game mechanics. The chararacters in KOFXII don't have distant attack motions. That's to say, if you were using Terry and you pressed fierce punch, you'd do his close-range punch no matter how far the opponent is. I'm hoping that this would be updated in the console version (I forgot to check it, but I doubt it.)

In some ways that's not an entirely accurate assessment, since a bunch of characters do have far versions of their moves... it's just that they're done with a command now, rather than being automatically picked based on distance.

In some ways I prefer this, because it reminds me of SFA3 where often times you wanted the close version of the move, espcially at ranges where it wouldn't normally come out if it was based on the automatic triggering. Some moves like this were Sakura back+fierce, Ryu/Akuma back+roundhouse, etc. Considering how the CC system works in KOFXII what with only specific normals able to trigger it, having this command-based interface is probably for the best.

Still, that's not to say that a lot of characters haven't got gimpy movelists. Clark's movelist is as small as its been since... I dunno, KOF'94? I can't remember all the normal moves he had in 94 so I'm not sure whether KOFXII Clark compares favourably or not. It definitely shouldn't be counted as a positive achievement, though.

While KOFXII is pretty fun and pretty pretty, I'm more interested in the direction that the series is going to take from KOFXII. At the arcades I've been to, last I saw the longtime 2k2 players were still playing 2k2, while the neophyte fighting game players were playing SF4. It'd be interesting to see if successive SF4 iterations become more hardcore and more technical, while successive KOFXII-based iterations become more... accessible? Hardcore? Who knows.

Zepy
1547th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Tue 16 Jun 04:25post reply

quote:

The far fierce attack motions are done by fwd+C or fwd+D this time i think.

I still can't get myself to like the game, I doubt I'll be getting the home console versions...

Iggy
8926th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Tue 16 Jun 04:48:post reply

quote:
I still can't get myself to like the game, I doubt I'll be getting the home console versions...

I would have even if the game had been a basic port of the arcade version.
It's a game that should never have been released in that state, but it's obvious they didn't have a choice.
I want to believe this is SF3, and by buying I want to think I help them create KOFXIII/Second Impact. You can't bash an editor for playing safe by recycling the same stuff over and over, and then for trying something new and failing because they were too ambitious.
I would even buy the DLC of K' and Mai if that's how they want to release them.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Tue 16 Jun 04:51]

Baines
245th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Tue 16 Jun 07:49post reply

quote:
It's a game that should never have been released in that state, but it's obvious they didn't have a choice.

They had the choice of not picking a KOF game to be the first implementation of new sprites.

They could have instead made a new Fatal Fury or MOTW with new art. That art could then be reused as the based for the next KOF arc, while the current KOF arc would be finished with the old sprite work.

They instead chose to create a game that would appear half-finished at best by the time that they would need to release it. Even if they didn't realize just how long the new sprite work would take, they should have realized that the expected requirements for a three-member team game would still be crippling.

Pollyanna
2692th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Tue 16 Jun 08:17post reply

quote:
half-finished at best

Now now, it's a good 75% at least. Even if there's no story, the time attack mode has cinemas at least.

Also...since they were obviously pressed for resources, I'm glad they didn't waste their effort on a boss that probably wouldn't be playable and would just get on my nerves anyway.

I can't say that any given criticism of the game isn't well-founded, but I'm with Iggy on this one.

My big concern right now is if the game will be too broken to let me enjoy online play. Right now, my experience seems to be "I win if I don't fight Terry...I lose if I do."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Toxico
4746th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Tue 16 Jun 09:08post reply

quote:

They could have instead made a new Fatal Fury or MOTW with new art. That art could then be reused as the based for the next KOF arc, while the current KOF arc would be finished with the old sprite work.

I believe the complains would have been way more serious if they actually would have done a Garou or a Ryuuko with no storyline. I can already did the "The brought back XX and Rock, but I don't have a storyline, bargh". Also, KoF doesn't use that much of the Garou cast in the end. Or if they would have done that, there would have been complains that no other KoF reused graphics from other games, or that the KoF would have been 60% or 70% another game cast "MvC 4".

Now people say "I could stand if they would have done XXX to have a better next game". Back in the day they said something like "I could stand any change in the cast if they would re do the sprites". This pretty much sums up every gripe that I have read about the game.

I do think, however; that it would have been better for the game if they would have used some sort of name change. Like KoF Rebirth.... or KoF MI 0. That would have hinted that the MI series changed to 2.5D; would have gained praise, and would rid us from that 3D series for good.... That sure sounds good in my head.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Spoon
1768th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Tue 16 Jun 10:29post reply

quote:

I want to believe this is SF3, and by buying I want to think I help them create KOFXIII/Second Impact.

Right now, I'm wondering if they're going to run some kind of parallel stream where KOF old sprites is going to go on as SFA did while KOF new sprites is going to go on as SF3 did, and maybe KOFMI goes along as SFEX did. In fact, I'm sure somebody else (a lot of somebody elses) has already thought this before. Arguably they're already doing this, what with arcade releases of the UM games.

One thing about SF3 though is that it was much more complicated than SF2, what with all its new juggling rules and parries and EX moves and selectable supers and whatnot else. Whether or not SF3:NG was more complicated than SFA2 is another issue, though I'm sure an argument can be made that it was at least as complicated. KOFXII is intentionally much less complicated than its contemporaries and its immediate predecessor. If we are going to follow the KOFXIII/2I line of thought, I'm not sure exactly where that's going to leave us. Maybe Clark will get more moves and a nasal-sounding voice before returning to a deeper voice in KOFXIV.

All said, I'll still probably end up buying it once I get a PS3, and once I've given them my money all my justifications are moot.

Professor
2546th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Tue 16 Jun 22:38post reply

quote:
But was the KoF XII console version you played the final version, the one that will be released? Or could it be just a beta version, and the version that will be effectively released is still being finished and therefore could have features that you didn't see?
At just one month prior to the game's release, I doubt it was a beta. I'm hoping it wasn't a final build, though.

quote:
In some ways that's not an entirely accurate assessment, since a bunch of characters do have far versions of their moves... it's just that they're done with a command now, rather than being automatically picked based on distance.
That's true, but it's usually just one move per character. I suppose the other moves like a far B is trivial, but I do miss them.

Despite its setbacks, I actually like KOFXII. It feels old-time but its graphics gives it the magic. And the balance seems relatively good for an SNK game.

Iggy
8926th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Wed 17 Jun 03:00post reply

quote:
They had the choice of not picking a KOF game to be the first implementation of new sprites.

You are obviously a better planner than the guys at SNKP.
Which is annoying, because I meant that as a snarky retort, but now I think about it, the producers of this game were so bad that I'm not sure of anything.

Spoon
1769th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Wed 17 Jun 03:46post reply

quote:
That's true, but it's usually just one move per character. I suppose the other moves like a far B is trivial, but I do miss them.

I thought it was hilarious how Ralf and Clark have identical normals but Ralf has the forward+C backhand while Clark has the forward+D long kick. Oh boy, what variety!

Well, Clark has a cancellable low C, which might've been more useful if he had like any of his running grabs. Then again, Ralf can chain combo his low C into CD into whatever juggle, so it's not like Ralf is at much of a loss in this department.

I really like how counterhits with heavy normals (and certain command normals... Robert forward+B!) give you time to link anything short of a jump in on the opponent. It reminds me of SFA3. Did I mention that I like SFA3?

karasu99
157th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Wed 17 Jun 05:15post reply

quote:
I thought it was hilarious how Ralf and Clark have identical normals but Ralf has the forward+C backhand while Clark has the forward+D long kick. Oh boy, what variety!

It's like KOF94 Rebout-Rebout. Sounds as if they're just collapsed 15 years of Ralf/Clark normals differentiation. OH WAIT, weren't they still relatively different in '94? Perhaps they're trying to echo the Ikari Warriors business of Player 1 (shoots) / Player 2 (shoots, but has different colored shirt).

Toxico
4747th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Wed 17 Jun 05:21post reply

quote:

It's like KOF94 Rebout-Rebout. Sounds as if they're just collapsed 15 years of Ralf/Clark normals differentiation. OH WAIT, weren't they still relatively different in '94?

In 94 they had almost the same normals, but they had different speeds, and some of them could be canceled with Ralf, but not Clark. The normal throws, some jumping attacks, the CDs and the supers where different. And some misc poses (taunts, intros, win poses, AB dodge (I think), and others).

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Baines
246th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Wed 17 Jun 07:48post reply

quote:
I believe the complains would have been way more serious if they actually would have done a Garou or a Ryuuko with no storyline. I can already did the "The brought back XX and Rock, but I don't have a storyline, bargh". Also, KoF doesn't use that much of the Garou cast in the end. Or if they would have done that, there would have been complains that no other KoF reused graphics from other games, or that the KoF would have been 60% or 70% another game cast "MvC 4".

They've been promising MOTW2 since forever, and KOF has slowly been moving towards the MOTW era.

If SNK didn't even mention a high res KOF, but instead released a high-res MOTW and a couple of years later released a high-res KOF that used that MOTW as a basis, I don't think the complaints would be too bad.

KOF wouldn't exactly be hurt by moving more MOTW characters into it. As well, a new MOTW could handle some more return of updated classic characters. KOF as a series does have a relatively large amount of Fatal Fury characters, most of which who were not in MOTW.

Waiting for the start of a new KOF arc to switch to new sprites means that you can shape the new story to the new roster. You can temporarily cut entire teams if necessary. With the second chapter, you can continue to bring in more non-Fatal Fury characters to increase game diversity. (Heck, if you think the roster will still be too Garou-loaded, give the starting chapter of the story Garou leanings and expand it outward in the later chapters.)

As for a story, part of the point of doing a "regular" (non-team/non-compilation) fighter is that you aren't expected to have a giant roster. Fifteen or sixteen characters is a complete non-team fighter. With a lower total character target, you also have time to add the character frills and a real story. Further, prioritize your characters to story importance. If things fall behind schedule, you can cut the least important. If things look ahead, you might be able to add a special guest or two. (You can make such a special guest a non-Garou character as a tease for the later high-res KOF, and hopefully get people thinking of the sprite recycling in a positive light.)

kofoguz
711th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Wed 17 Jun 08:29post reply

quote:

But isnt it the "no story" a conclusion of team style game is tossed to the deadlines?
So I dont think they would have the same problem. 20 characters would be more than enough for a new Garou. after that they could at least ten of them in next KOF (TerryAndyJoeMaiKimRockB.JenetTizocGatoYamazakiBillyGeeseXiangFeiHotaruDuckKingRaiden)

But there's a rumour that another fighting game project is on the way (source is TRIUE from s-c.com), if thats true and some kind of AOF or FF game, they could wait for kof and try this game, no?

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Freeter
4465th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Wed 17 Jun 13:24post reply

SNKP should just hire Examu and make a Dokimajo/Arcana Heart crossover fighter. Those machines would be bleeding yen.

Count Hihihi
176th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Wed 17 Jun 19:03post reply

SNKP should do their own thing. And all your penises should do their own thing.

Kotaku Ono and the Fanboy spirit.

mattfabb
9th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Wed 17 Jun 23:11post reply

I find it hard to play UM98 or UM02 now, because they don't look fresh anymore.

For the fans of huge rosters and SNK bosses people could esily play UM02...for the people like me who used to be fans but now wants something new, KOF12 looks more promising, even without bosses. (IMO)

Iggy
8928th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Wed 17 Jun 23:41post reply

quote:
They've been promising MOTW2 since forever

I thought the whole MOTW2 project was killed and scrapped when SNK first died. Maybe I'm wrong.

kofoguz
713th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Thu 18 Jun 00:21post reply

quote:

I thought the whole MOTW2 project was killed and scrapped when SNK first died. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yes there was this two screenshots of the game somewhere. not sure whether its real or not.

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Toxico
4748th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Thu 18 Jun 01:11post reply

quote:

Well, If I have been keeping check of the rumors (and I have); a guy from playmore usa office (the type of guy who's only work is switching region settings from 0 to 1; and progressive scan from 1 to 0), that guy said that the main office has been working in motw 2, and baseball stars 3, and dunno what other old interesting title. He says it... once every two years or something? I dunno.

So Yeah, that sounds believable.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Baines
247th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Thu 18 Jun 15:34post reply

quote:
Yes there was this two screenshots of the game somewhere. not sure whether its real or not.

There were a few images supposedly from a Tokyo Game Show presentation that showed MOTW Terry and either Rock or Blue Mary on a motorcycle.

Plus that the claim just keeps resurfacing every few years, and other claimed games did eventually come to realization. (And it isn't exactly uncommon for SNK games to be announced and then for SNK to go completely silent about it for extremely long periods of time.)

Toxico
4749th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Thu 18 Jun 19:05post reply

quote:

There were a few images supposedly from a Tokyo Game Show presentation that showed MOTW Terry and either Rock or Blue Mary on a motorcycle.

Wasn't that just an artbook that got released by the time of the console releases? (Dunno when it actually came out, but it was just a book for the first game) I remember it also included some "Kyokugen ryuu dojo members". I remember people even made a thread about it here, with link to the scans; long ago.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Ikari Loona
251th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Thu 18 Jun 20:04post reply

quote:

Wasn't that just an artbook that got released by the time of the console releases? (Dunno when it actually came out, but it was just a book for the first game) I remember it also included some "Kyokugen ryuu dojo members". I remember people even made a thread about it here, with link to the scans; long ago.

That artwork was part of an illustrated narrated recap of the series that came with a soundtrack compilation of some sort (I've seen it on youtube, can't access from here though), mostly Terry and Rock talking at PaoPao with some Richard, Duck and Mary sprinkled throughout.

There's pretty much only one thing/character that'd be sufficient for me to praise a 2nd coming of Garou:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c244/ikariloona/chonrei.gif

I can't believe they made a point to stick this in about 3 endings in RB2 and haven't used it yet...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Ishmael
3511th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Sun 28 Jun 04:45post reply

After looking at four high quality shots of the backgrounds I am now convinced that KoF XII has the ugliest spectators to ever show up in a fighting game.

Stifu
355th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Mon 29 Jun 01:37post reply

About the backgrounds... "Faites son mieux". Another failed attempt at French.
And god damn, Le Café des Phares, I never noticed that before. My father used to go there every Sunday.

Anyway, the conclusion is that all these fat ugly women are supposed to be French.

Digitalboy
605th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):KOF XII Dot Art website" , posted Mon 29 Jun 12:50post reply

▲
▲ ▲

quote:
About the backgrounds... "Faites son mieux". Another failed attempt at French.
And god damn, Le Café des Phares, I never noticed that before. My father used to go there every Sunday.

Anyway, the conclusion is that all these fat ugly women are supposed to be French.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...