Project TRICO - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1639 Views )

Iggy
8906th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Project TRICO" , posted Wed 20 May 15:04post reply

Basically, it looks like ICO with a colossus Nintendog replacing the girl.

The name is especially funny in French, though.

Replies:

whitesword
1643th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Project TRICO" , posted Wed 20 May 16:03post reply

quote:
Basically, it looks like ICO with a colossus Nintendog replacing the girl.

Looks more like a cat-bird hybrid to me (well, I guess that would make it a griffin...)

Gojira
2525th Post

"Re(2):Project TRICO" , posted Wed 20 May 16:44post reply

I like how the video only has 300+ views but 1000+ comments. Some people just really like leaving comments.

Honestly, even though I see a lot of familiar textures and concepts in that video it's still pretty exciting to me. I don't think I've played a platform game with a mobile, organic pet as a platform. It'll be interesting to see if a slight shift in concept will make all the climbing and jumping around feel like a new experience.

The music's a bit of a step down from SotC and ICO though. It's not bad, just... well compared to those exotic arrangements it feels a little too light. I hope Otani is still involved.

shipoopi

ktallguy
1104th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):Project TRICO" , posted Wed 20 May 19:04post reply

The video is over a year old, apparently.

I am a little worried, as I wanted/expected a bigger departure from the other games, but this does look like Ico with a creature.

However if you can fly around with the creature, possibly destroy the environment with him to proceed, then that's awesome.

Play to win.

Sensenic
1671th Post

"Re(4):Project TRICO" , posted Wed 20 May 19:35post reply

quote:

Looks more like a cat-bird hybrid to me (well, I guess that would make it a griffin...)

I'd rather say mouse-bird.

quote:
The video is over a year old, apparently.

Oh, the chain image did come out a long time ago, certainly.
And it does look kind of unfinished (chain doesn't cast a shadow, visible polygons...), but still beautiful, nonetheless.

Knowing this makes me more eager to see the final product.

quote:

I am a little worried, as I wanted/expected a bigger departure from the other games, but this does look like Ico with a creature.

However if you can fly around with the creature, possibly destroy the environment with him to proceed, then that's awesome.

Couldn't agree more.

貧乳神・・・

"Don't give me that crap about real life. There ain't no such animal."
-Felix Leiter-

Maese Spt
486th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Project TRICO" , posted Wed 20 May 21:37post reply

ZOMG, Ueda goes kawaii! How am I supposed to wait 2 years for this?? The hype is going to kill me!!

More seriously, I kind of liked what I saw on the trailer. It has lots of potential, and with Ueda and his team behind, you can bet that potential is not likely to be wasted. I am also happy they seem to be wanting to explore the themes and ideas of their two previous games further.

I guess the moe colossus is supposed to be a baby griffon, and probably is a wise marketing decission to throw in a kawaii thingie into the mix. I for one don't mind the cuteness at all.

Pollyanna
2674th Post

"Re(2):Project TRICO" , posted Wed 20 May 22:25post reply

This brought tears to my eyes! I don't even know why, but there they were...

Maybe it's because I went through SotC again about a month ago and it still impressed my pants off so hard that I haven't worn any since. I was left with high hopes, but little expectation that they could top it.

I'm pleased to see that they've combined the concepts of "buddy puzzle solving" with "climbing on big monsters" while keeping a similar feel with the (remarkably good) character animation and (unique, sunshiney) overall look.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
187th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Project TRICO" , posted Thu 21 May 01:45:post reply

quote:
I'm pleased to see that they've combined the concepts of "buddy puzzle solving" with "climbing on big monsters" while keeping a similar feel with the (remarkably good) character animation and (unique, sunshiney) overall look.

My impressions were exactly the same. They crossed Ico with SOTC in concepts, simple and cool idea. I'm looking forward to this to remove the dust from my PS3.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Thu 21 May 01:46]

Nekros
187th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Project TRICO" , posted Thu 21 May 01:45:post reply

I'm worried about controls, tough.

[this message was edited by Nekros on Thu 21 May 01:46]

Ishmael
3484th Post

"Re(3):Project TRICO" , posted Thu 21 May 01:55post reply

I'm glad to see that the Ico team is continuing to work on the idea of creating emotional attachment to a videogame character. Tranferring the boy and his dog scenrio into this sort of setting is a stroke of genius. This concept also allows the creators to continue to mine the themes of melancholy and loss that permeate their games. It may be massive and oddly adorable, but with ruined wings and arrows piercing its hide the beast in the trailer is also mortal. Something tells me this game is not going to end well.

nobinobita
532th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Project TRICO" , posted Thu 21 May 02:37:post reply

The opening shots had me a bit worried and felt almost like a next gen fan production based off of the first 2 Ueda games (too much bump mapping, confusing sense of scale without context), but as soon as the Gryphon was unveiled my worries were laid to rest.

The game looks beautiful, and even though it sort of feels like a mashup of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, that's still very unique. I've never seen a game where you're responsible for leading around something so large and powerful. I'm sure there will be some incredible puzzles, and I bet whatever mechanic they have for making it fight will be amazing too. I mean, it's so cute, but you'll probably have to order it to kill people and basically make it risk its life for you. That's a very compelling dynamic, making your friend put himself/herself in danger for you. I'm sure this game will be heartrending.

The Gryphon thing looks amazing. I'm amazed at how much better it looks than most cg movie monsters. It feels very real, like an actual animal with animal intelligence rather than something just going through the motions of how we expect animals to act. Just from the few fleeting shots in that movie, it had a palpable presence to it. It reminds me of a living creature in ways I've never felt from a game before.

I love the possum like touches. They took the ugliest animal imaginable and made it cute, but not too cute. Which makes it even cuter in a runty way!

It's full of so many great choices and subtle touches, and best of all, none of it feels "clever" like "hey look what a good idea i am!!!", it just feels GOOD.

I have full faith in Ueda's team, I'm certain this game will be solid and tasteful at the very very least.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Thu 21 May 16:55]

HAYATO
905th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Project TRICO" , posted Fri 29 May 07:19post reply

Well, it seems that the time of saving for a PS3 has finally arrived...

Judging by the scenes shown in the trailer, the game looks like another dose of the good old Ueda's stuff we are used to (and actually crave for), so I won't complain. In fact, that's what I expect from this wonderful bunch of developers: If I wanted a new kind of experience with a brand-new artistic style, innovative game mechanics and detailed plot, I'd look anywhere else. What I want is, to put it simply, innovative variations of the same AWESOME concept, the one which moved me in ICO and gave me a Stendhal shock just by watching the intro of SoTC. And that, good sirs, seems to be guaranteed once more.

Just pray that the furry doesn't evolve/grow, otherwise the boy will get into some serious trouble (just imagine the sheer amounts of Gryphon Chow needed to feed this beast)!!

nobinobita
533th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Project TRICO" , posted Fri 29 May 12:29post reply

quote:

Just pray that the furry doesn't evolve/grow, otherwise the boy will get into some serious trouble (just imagine the sheer amounts of Gryphon Chow needed to feed this beast)!!

That would be quite lurid if you have to keep feeding it people.

Gojira
2531th Post

"Re(4):Project TRICO" , posted Thu 4 Jun 00:02post reply

Some details courtesy of Famitsu and IGN

The only thing that has me a little worried is Ueda's comment that the creature "may not move as you expect." I know it's a common thing with pets, but at the same time it can be suicidal game design to make the player rely on something they have no control over.

shipoopi

Ishmael
3495th Post

"Re(5):Project TRICO" , posted Thu 4 Jun 03:24post reply

The Giant Man-Eating Eagle Toriko? Oh yeah, now that's a title!

quote:
Some details courtesy of Famitsu and IGN

The only thing that has me a little worried is Ueda's comment that the creature "may not move as you expect." I know it's a common thing with pets, but at the same time it can be suicidal game design to make the player rely on something they have no control over.

Personally, I took that line to mean that there may be points in the game where the creature could become skittish or distracted by something in the enviorment and you have to compensate for that. Whatever it is, it sounds like they are trying to make the animal seem as "real" as possible and not just an automaton that only moves when you hit the action button.

Maou
1669th Post

"Re(6):Project TRICO" , posted Thu 4 Jun 10:22post reply

quote:
Whatever it is, it sounds like they are trying to make the animal seem as "real" as possible and not just an automaton that only moves when you hit the action button.

Sounds fair to me, Ish. This would continue in the realistic, living-breathing spirit of the horse in Colossus. People who complained that it was hard to control Agro in that game just don't get it.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Maese Spt
490th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Project TRICO" , posted Thu 4 Jun 15:20post reply

quote:

I agree with Ishmael and Maou here. Probably it won't be so terrible to command the griffin around, I bet it will be pretty obedient overall, much like Agro and Yorda were. But it would be rather boring if the poor beast just follows you around and performs every chore automatically like a remote controlled slave, wouldn't it?

This is just wishful thinking, but maybe the griffin's AI will grow throughout the game so it becomes more docile and efficient as the story unfolds and its relationship with the kid grows deeper.

Pollyanna
2682th Post

"Re(6):Project TRICO" , posted Thu 4 Jun 15:34post reply

When I saw Toriko playing with the barrels, I thought it would be something like Wonder Project J (did anyone play that?) where you "teach" him a trick, then he reproduces it in a different environment.

Anyway, he looks pretty lovable, so I think the mild frustration of getting him to do what you want will be a fulfilling part of the experience.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maese Spt
492th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Project TRICO" , posted Thu 4 Jun 20:02post reply

Relevant to this thread (albeit a bit old, maybe).

HAYATO
910th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(8):Project TRICO" , posted Tue 9 Jun 07:44:post reply

quote:
Relevant to this thread (albeit a bit old, maybe).

TLG endings leaked, LOL

BTW, did you hear what happened to Bob?

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Tue 9 Jun 07:54]