America and Me - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1852 Views )

Digitalboy
593th Post

user profileedit/delete message

New Red Carpet Member

"America and Me" , posted Sat 2 May 09:37:post reply

After my little tenure overseas I have returned to America.

California to be exact.

Mind you that this is my first time in California, other than the usual layover in Los Angeles. I am not here by choice however I am still trying to make the most out of it. Fishing is great out here and so is the food.

Everyone and their mother has a weird fetish about iPhones/touch screen phones here (I do not know if it is just in California or in general). Each time anyone sees my phone (Nokia N96) they ask if it is a touch screen. After the no response, they follow up with a "you should update to an iPhone/touch screen" comment. I am guessing everyone judges the importance of a person by their phone here. From what I am overhearing is that Nokia is frowned upon for some reason. But it is cool I am just waiting for the Nokia N97, and then one day, I will SHOW the world!

Since being here, I have finally got my greasy hands on Street Fighter IV. It is...decent. Capcom should have left this in the oven some more because I personally feel that this is not ready and complete. Everyone knows the horrendous roster but the super moves...C'MON! It is so limited. I give the game some credit because of how Capcom distinguishes the Shoryuken brothers by their attack animations and some other stuff.

This game also marks my first time playing online ever. I am using my uncle's PS3 to play. I never knew how horrible I am with the PS3 controller, it is no wonder why I choose the arcade joystick over that any day. A typical online match is with another player: Ryu/Ken/Akuma/Gouken/Sagat. As any veteran Street Fighter and Madman Cafe player can guess the way the match will play out. If you do not know here it is: insert a name of the projectile here to a surface to air offense name here. Or even the projectile fights to where it is silly. This is obviously gets boring. Is this why Iggy has so much discontent for this game? A majority of the players I am matched up against are DETERMINED to finished EVERY ruddy round with a super/ultra. If you haven't guessed I try to avoid everything I stated. So why do I even play? I am so retarded for this game. One day I will acquire a joystick controller for the PS3 and then I will show the PSNetwork my TRUE form!

And the streets/roads here are unkind to cars that are normally low to the ground. How can anyone have a car that is lowered and have a sane mind driving here? One day will own a truck and then I will OWN the potholes that plague these streets.

*EDIT*

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

[this message was edited by Digitalboy on Sat 2 May 09:39]

Replies:

Tai-Pan
357th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):America and Me" , posted Sun 3 May 00:22post reply

quote:

And the streets/roads here are unkind to cars that are normally low to the ground. How can anyone have a car that is lowered and have a sane mind driving here? One day will own a truck and then I will OWN the potholes that plague these streets.

*EDIT*

Here in South Florida everybody drives beautiful big ass gus guzzling trucks. And I don't know why..

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

nobinobita
515th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):America and Me" , posted Mon 4 May 02:56post reply

quote:

*EDIT*

Here in South Florida everybody drives beautiful big ass gus guzzling trucks. And I don't know why..

It's the same in Atlanta. By my count there are at least 4 large vehicles for every regular sedan on the road.

So... has being out of the country given you a different perspective on being in America?

From my own experience, after being lucky enough to travel a fair amount I concluded that America is just plain weird and outstanding in alot of ways, particularly with food.

I come from an Asian background, so when I went to Europe I was surprised by how much the native foods of France and Italy and Germany have in common with traditional Chinese foods, all of which bear almost no resemblance to what you find at American restaurants. For instance, Americans seem to have a relatively limited diet. I'm often surprised by how many people don't like meat on the bone, much less food with the head still attached. Also, I don't understand our obsession with exalting white meat. The rest of the world seems to understand that dark meat is juicy and succulent and awesome, but we have forced ourselves to prefer tough and dry chicken. Also, we're obsessed with trimming the fat out of things that are supposed to have fat (again, MEAT), but then we add the fat back in artificially through mayo and honey mustard and salad dressing.

American tastes just seem counter intuitive when it comes to food. Not that I'm complainin'. All the parts of the animal that I like (chicken thighs, pork belly) are the cheap parts, so it's easy on my wallet.

Also, as a nation we really are pretty tubby.

And very very religious.

And much more patriotic than people realize.

(BTW I don't believe any of these things are intrinsically good or bad)

But yeah, you come to any personal, mind expanding revelations from traveling?

Digitalboy
594th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):America and Me" , posted Mon 4 May 06:03post reply

I have two callers on the line. First caller you are on the air.

quote:
*EDIT*

Tai-pan, you are in Miami right? Everyone there loves to show that there is not a recession and that they CAN afford it.

I am planning to buy this beater truck. At the moment I am really content on the public transportation and not really looking forward in buying an used truck for three thousand dollars and need another five thousand just to ensure there will not be any engine problems. I am not trying to impress anyone here on what kind of car I drive. I am looking for something that I can drive over potholes. Decisions.

On to the next caller.

quote:
It's the same in Atlanta. By my count there are at least 4 large vehicles for every regular sedan on the road.

So... has being out of the country given you a different perspective on being in America?

From my own experience, after being lucky enough to travel a fair amount I concluded that America is just plain weird and outstanding in alot of ways, particularly with food.

I come from an Asian background, so when I went to Europe I was surprised by how much the native foods of France and Italy and Germany have in common with traditional Chinese foods, all of which bear almost no resemblance to what you find at American restaurants. For instance, Americans seem to have a relatively limited diet. I'm often surprised by how many people don't like meat on the bone, much less food with the head still attached. Also, I don't understand our obsession with exalting white meat. The rest of the world seems to understand that dark meat is juicy and succulent and awesome, but we have forced ourselves to prefer tough and dry chicken. Also, we're obsessed with trimming the fat out of things that are supposed to have fat (again, MEAT), but then we add the fat back in artificially through mayo and honey mustard and salad dressing.

American tastes just seem counter intuitive when it comes to food. Not that I'm complainin'. All the parts of the animal that I like (chicken thighs, pork belly) are the cheap parts, so it's easy on my wallet.

Also, as a nation we really are pretty tubby.

And very very religious.

And much more patriotic than people realize.

(BTW I don't believe any of these things are intrinsically good or bad)

But yeah, you come to any personal, mind expanding revelations from traveling?

Nobinobita ever since I graduated from high school I knew that there is more to the world than America so I left it and started to travel. So I always had a different perspective. I agree with you on the weirdness level America can ooze. Also from an Asian background but I am an Americanized Asian goon.

Patriotism is really abusive and used all for the wrong reasons. I have a friend who is World War II veteran, Arnold, he is 88 years young. Nobody would want to talk to him just by looking at him. Whenever he talks, old man loves to talk (so many times I got sucked into his conversation without knowing it). He did his time and served it honorably as well. California is patriotic but I do not see it. Massachusetts, mainly Boston, loves and breeds patriotism. Of course I only visited Boston and saw it but since I never lived there it might be a different story. Here in California, Arnie is just another old man. In Boston, Arnie would be treated to a near Kennedy status there. I am thinking that I am in that group of people who does not realize the patriotism of Americans enough. I am guessing I am not patriot but a minuteman. I provide changes?

Revelations? Is it the same as a conclusion? I observed that in other countries have certain qualities that America once had and lost. There are even similarities between us and them. It is too in detail to type so I will leave it at that.

Anywho, I went to Hooter's not to eat wings or even show how patriotic I am but to see some tits and it is as American as I can be. The waitress that I had was not big chested at all (maybe an "A" cup) had sandy blonde, curly hair, standing at five foot one. A small birth mark blemish underneath her left eye, really cute and attractive. What made her extremely attractive is her personality. Very down to earth type, upbeat and mellow. If I did not have a fiancee, I would be attempting to get shot down by her. I would love to meet more people (mainly girls) like her. <Sigh> I need to masturbate.

I am finally over one thousand battle points in Street Fighter IV. But then I looked on the leader boards just to see if anyone is over the average two thousand that I have seen. I discovered that there are other players that are over nine thousand.

I hate Wolverine but I went to see the movie anyways because of Deadpool. I should have seen that coming that they gave Deadpool the Hollywood treatment. I love the Deadpool character but this is just blasphemy. Bea Arthur is rolling in her grave right now.

I don't know how to live

Iron D
3188th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):America and Me" , posted Mon 4 May 09:25post reply

Well, welcome to Cali, Man. My homestate, and you're in Southern Cali, even!

I live in San Bernardino, which is about 70 miles or so east of Los Angeles.

Having lived here all my life, I can say quite safely that yes, there is an insane touch screen fetish going on here. But people don't just judge you on what kind of cell phone you use...they also judge you by the clothes you wear and the kind of car you drive.

Okay, maybe that's overgeneralizing. Just like any place, there are douchebags and then there are good people. There is definitely a healthy geek culture here. The biggest cons are held in this general area and there are plenty of place to buy videogames, comics, anime, etc.

Let's see, patriotism. Personally, I say there's a good patriotism and a stupid patriotism. Those folks who thump their chests and can't stop talking about how much better the U.S. is than everybody else? That's stupid. Have some god-damned humility people.

I personally do love it here, but I feel that 1) it's unnecessary to go talking down other countries and 2) as much as I like it here, there are still a whole bunch of things that are fucked up. That, and I do still envy all those countries with free health care.

Anyways, make sure to spend some time at the beaches while you're here, and if you can try the burger place called In-N-Out. Fantastic (and supremely fattening) food.

One of the other great things about SoCal is the general lack of natural disasters. Our biggest problem seems to be earthquakes, and we haven't had a really bad one in 15 years. Of course, everyone around here is waiting for that "big one" that's supposed to destroy everything and tear the state in half, but that obviously hasn't happened yet *knock on wood*.

But we don't have problems with super-duper cold temperatures, hurricanes or tornadoes. But it is EXTREMELY hot here in the summer. Which I realized is just around the corner. Ugh.

Er.....

ktallguy
1096th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(5):America and Me" , posted Mon 4 May 10:33post reply

I love California, it's just expensive if you live in San Francisco or LA.

People are very focused on appearance, but I find that in SF (my home town), it's less about the brand and more about how you look, which is what I prefer. Also in SF approximately 99% of people have iPhones.

I recommend you check out SF if you have a chance.
I personally like it better than LA and San Diego.

And SF4 is fun once you get good at countering projectiles, it's much easier to get around them compared to Super Turbo. Also the players in Japan are much better and use a variety of characters, so it's really nice to fight an amazingly good El Fuerte, for example.

Play to win.

Digitalboy
595th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):America and Me" , posted Mon 4 May 10:45post reply

An Iron D appears!
quote:
Well, welcome to Cali, Man. My homestate, and you're in Southern Cali, even!

Thanks for the welcome Iron D.
quote:
I live in San Bernardino, which is about 70 miles or so east of Los Angeles.

Looks like there will not be any Madman get together any time soon.
quote:
That, and I do still envy all those countries with free health care.

I like things that are free too!
quote:
Anyways, make sure to spend some time at the beaches while you're here, and if you can try the burger place called In-N-Out. Fantastic (and supremely fattening) food.

Thanks for the advice! The last time I had In-N-Out was when I was in the hospital three months ago. Right now I am on a California burrito binge.
quote:
One of the other great things about SoCal is the general lack of natural disasters. Our biggest problem seems to be earthquakes, and we haven't had a really bad one in 15 years. Of course, everyone around here is waiting for that "big one" that's supposed to destroy everything and tear the state in half, but that obviously hasn't happened yet *knock on wood*.

15 years eh? Great knowing this will definitely ease my mind with the swine flu and all.
quote:
But we don't have problems with super-duper cold temperatures, hurricanes or tornadoes. But it is EXTREMELY hot here in the summer. Which I realized is just around the corner. Ugh.

There is no air conditioning in my place!

I don't know how to live

Digitalboy
596th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):America and Me" , posted Mon 4 May 11:16post reply

quote:
Also in SF approximately 99% of people have iPhones.

quote:
I recommend you check out SF if you have a chance.
I personally like it better than LA and San Diego.
Eventually the traveling bug will bite me to visit there. Looking forward to it.

quote:
And SF4 is fun once you get good at countering projectiles, it's much easier to get around them compared to Super Turbo. Also the players in Japan are much better and use a variety of characters, so it's really nice to fight an amazingly good El Fuerte, for example.

I am getting a little better with the regular controller. I prefer the arcade joystick better though. Whenever I the joystick watch out Ktallguy and Iron D!

I don't know how to live

ktallguy
1097th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(7):America and Me" , posted Mon 4 May 17:59post reply

quote:

I am getting a little better with the regular controller. I prefer the arcade joystick better though. Whenever I the joystick watch out Ktallguy and Iron D!

I cannot cannot cannot play with a controller. I'm complete shit. Arcade stick or bust.

Speaking of busts, how about LA women, eh?

Play to win.

Iron D
3189th Post

"Re(8):America and Me" , posted Mon 4 May 20:42post reply

quote:

I forgot to mention that part! In Southern California, you WILL see more big titties than anywhere else. And they're not all fake either, trust me. There are some big fake ones and some big real ones as well.

Yep, lots of titties around here.

Er.....

ktallguy
1100th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(9):America and Me" , posted Tue 5 May 10:51post reply

Living in Japan, big-chested women are so rare, that you end up noticing them even when the rest of the package isn't so great... and then there is a massive "disappointment", if you know what I mean.

Play to win.

Ishmael
3471th Post

"Re(9):America and Me" , posted Wed 6 May 00:41post reply

quote:

I forgot to mention that part! In Southern California, you WILL see more big titties than anywhere else. And they're not all fake either, trust me. There are some big fake ones and some big real ones as well.

Yep, lots of titties around here.

I'm going to be visiting that part of the world soon and I had been wondering what sights I should see and how should occupy my time while I was out there. Now I know.

Tai-Pan
358th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):America and Me" , posted Wed 6 May 05:24post reply

quote:

Tai-pan, you are in Miami right? Everyone there loves to show that there is not a recession and that they CAN afford it.

Of course. I usually see 5 Ferraris a day driving on i-95. If you are in the Miami area, I have a car for you.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Digitalboy
597th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):America and Me" , posted Sun 14 Jun 17:47post reply

quote:
There is definitely a healthy geek culture here. The biggest cons are held in this general area and there are plenty of place to buy videogames, comics, anime, etc.

The San Diego Comic Convention is coming up. Is anyone going? I thought that tickets could be bought on the day of the event but I was completely wrong.

If I were to attend one of these events how much in advance would I have to buy tickets for the events?

I don't know how to live

Pollyanna
2691th Post

"Re(6):America and Me" , posted Sun 14 Jun 18:34post reply

quote:

The San Diego Comic Convention is coming up. Is anyone going? I thought that tickets could be bought on the day of the event but I was completely wrong.

If I were to attend one of these events how much in advance would I have to buy tickets for the events?

SDCC is THE big convention. I think it's the only one that sells out. I went to NYCC this year, but I'm not sure if it sold out. It certainly wasn't as crowded as SDCC usually is.

Anyway, I think you have to buy tickets several months in advance. I've always gotten in with an industry pass, so I don't know for sure...I just know that hotels up their prices like crazy that weekend.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Mozex
373th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):America and Me" , posted Mon 15 Jun 22:53post reply

quote:

It's completely sold out. http://www.comic-con.org/cci/

I think I checked in December or January and everything but the 4-day pass was still available. So it sells out really fast.

Be kind to goblins.

Iron D
3192th Post

"Re(7):America and Me" , posted Tue 16 Jun 20:41post reply

quote:

It's completely sold out. http://www.comic-con.org/cci/

I think I checked in December or January and everything but the 4-day pass was still available. So it sells out really fast.

I'll be there on the Saturday of that convention (too lazy to look up the exact date). A buddy of mine bought mine for me and I just paid him back. This was back in about January or February.

Er.....

Digitalboy
598th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):America and Me" , posted Wed 17 Jun 03:24post reply

quote:
I'll be there on the Saturday of that convention (too lazy to look up the exact date). A buddy of mine bought mine for me and I just paid him back. This was back in about January or February.

YO! Iron D:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
will you be attending all day? If more than half can you hook me up with your pass so I can geek out for an hour or so?

End of Spoiler

LUCKY!

I don't know how to live

Iron D
3193th Post

"Re(9):America and Me" , posted Thu 18 Jun 17:16post reply

quote:

YO! Iron D:

LUCKY!

Well...

Unfortunately I'll be there aaaaaalll day. My buddies and I are going early and plan to be there as late as we possibly can. Sorry.

End of Spoiler

Er.....

Digitalboy
599th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):America and Me" , posted Thu 18 Jun 23:26post reply

quote:
Well...

It was worth a shot, no problem. I am now expecting for you to take pictures with the cosplay girls and make a post about that one day.

FOILED AGAIN!

End of Spoiler

I don't know how to live