So...Rhythm Heaven - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1266 Views )

sfried
351th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Customer

"So...Rhythm Heaven" , posted Fri 1 May 14:03post reply

I'm not good with music games. In fact, I suck at these games.

And yet I've been clamoring over whether I should get this or the GBA Rhythm Tengoku knowing it's meant to be taken in small doses. It's charming enough that it's WarioWare (which I've played bits off bet never actually owned) with music. A second reason with it being less focused on "simon says" game and more of timed reaction with a reasonable warnings before doing anything.

This is the sole reason I could never get into any of the Benami games because all of them rely on this formula memorizing the button presses of a certain song, which I have very little time to dedicate to nowdays. I've tried a bit of Guitar Hero (back before it was just one not so publicized game with no sequel), and Elite Beat Agents, but just couldn't see myself spending the time to be the perfectionist most of these games expect you to be.

Replies:

Pollyanna
2666th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):So...Rhythm Heaven" , posted Fri 1 May 15:13post reply

I never really saw the Bemani games as memorization based at all. They have an initial, annoying learning curve, but after you've advanced to a certain "level" of play, you can pretty much play any song on that "level".

I actually found MUCH more memorization necessary in Rhythm Tengoku, which can be incredibly frustrating at times and requires you to learn the "little tricks" necessary to pass levels. Since they're always pulling something over on you, it's often necessary to try each level multiple times before you really "get it". Gold is nice in that it let's you advance even if you don't pass a level (after failing numerous times), but I don't feel that I'm SO awful at video games that I should have to do that.

But yeah, it feels very much "Simon Says" to me, actually. Given what you've said, I would recommend watching a few levels of it before you decide on a purchase. I enjoyed the visual design and creativity behind the levels, but from a gameplay perspective, I thought both games were kind of frustrating.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

badoor
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):So...Rhythm Heaven" , posted Fri 1 May 15:21post reply

quote:
I'm not good with music games. In fact, I suck at these games.

And yet I've been clamoring over whether I should get this or the GBA Rhythm Tengoku knowing it's meant to be taken in small doses. It's charming enough that it's WarioWare (which I've played bits off bet never actually owned) with music. A second reason with it being less focused on "simon says" game and more of timed reaction with a reasonable warnings before doing anything.

This is the sole reason I could never get into any of the Benami games because all of them rely on this formula memorizing the button presses of a certain song, which I have very little time to dedicate to nowdays. I've tried a bit of Guitar Hero (back before it was just one not so publicized game with no sequel), and Elite Beat Agents, but just couldn't see myself spending the time to be the perfectionist most of these games expect you to be.

I heard that the GBA game is both better AND easier than the DS game since the DS version is all touch which is less responsive than buttons.

Speaking of warioware, I don't want to turn this topic into a random one but did anyone try Made in Ore / WarioWare Myself?

sfried
353th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):So...Rhythm Heaven" , posted Fri 1 May 15:44:post reply

quote:
I heard that the GBA game is both better AND easier than the DS game since the DS version is all touch which is less responsive than buttons.
I've heard that complaint for ALL DS games that have use the touch screen exclusive, most considerably for Phantom Hourglass, which I've never had a problem playing.

In short, I don't have any touchscreen troubles at all. But learning curves do matter. And I've never seen a Benami in-game tutorial before.

[this message was edited by sfried on Fri 1 May 15:51]

Zepy
1540th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):So...Rhythm Heaven" , posted Fri 1 May 18:49post reply

Yeah I played beatmania in the past and it has never been a memorization game, but when I played Rhythm Heaven I found myself having to remember what comes next or I might miss it.

I'm not sure if you can enjoy rhythm heaven if you find yourself having to memorize patterns to play stuff like beatmania though.

sfried
353th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):So...Rhythm Heaven" , posted Sat 2 May 03:54post reply

quote:
Yeah I played beatmania in the past and it has never been a memorization game
I find that very hard to believe with all of the arrows approaching that fast.

Maou
1640th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):So...Rhythm Heaven" , posted Sat 2 May 07:14:post reply

quote:

Speaking of warioware, I don't want to turn this topic into a random one but did anyone try Made in Ore / WarioWare Myself?

That's about what I heard.

Annnd there's always OUENDAN!!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 2 May 07:20]

sfried
356th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):So...Rhythm Heaven" , posted Sat 2 May 10:45:post reply

quote:
Annnd there's always OUENDAN!!

Which Elite Beat Agents essentially is. I'm quite bad at it.

But I might be willing to give this game a try in the long run. Watched a few video and it seems the "mini-games" are simple enough...It's just the "Remix" rounds that boggle me.

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 2 May 11:36]