Let's talk about Windows 7 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1364 Views )

Maou
1637th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Let's talk about Windows 7" , posted Fri 1 May 07:30post reply

So the developers' version of the Windows 7 Release Candidate came out today. I'm no power user, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone's tried out the newest build yet. A friend had a beta some time ago, and the most amusing things were the fact that many people who randomly hated Vista loved it even though architecturally it's completely the same even if it's a bit flashier and it doesn't have the bad press of the old name. The way that media files were sort of virtually available in one folder even though their actual filing locations may have been disparate was kind of interesting, too.

Here, have an article in your language of choice:

Japanese
English
French

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Replies:

Oroch
1059th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Let's talk about Windows 7" , posted Fri 1 May 09:38post reply

quote:
So the developers' version of the Windows 7 Release Candidate came out today. I'm no power user, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone's tried out the newest build yet. A friend had a beta some time ago, and the most amusing things were the fact that many people who randomly hated Vista loved it even though architecturally it's completely the same even if it's a bit flashier and it doesn't have the bad press of the old name. The way that media files were sort of virtually available in one folder even though their actual filing locations may have been disparate was kind of interesting, too.

Here, have an article in your language of choice:

Japanese
English
French

its the same old same old as vista, been running the beta for a while, of course i never had any problems with vista to begin with...

windows has needed virtual folders for a while now.

i would like to see microsoft improve their mobile os, the desktop stuff is just fine for now.

Tai-Pan
354th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Let's talk about Windows 7" , posted Fri 1 May 09:45post reply

quote:
A friend had a beta some time ago, and the most amusing things were the fact that many people who randomly hated Vista loved it even though architecturally it's completely the same even if it's a bit flashier and it doesn't have the bad press of the old name.

Exactly. That's exactly what I've been hearing, even on IT circles where I work. I'm a power user and yes..some things have been improved. How can I say it: Whatever people didn't like about Vista has been tweaked. It's an evolution of Vista and no revolution at all (it is based on the vista engine after all). I don't wanna go technical here but yeah it will feel the same to the regular user. Vista was bombarded with bad press because IT people all over the world didn't feel like spending money to fix something that wasn't broken (XP).

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

crazymike
1499th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Let's talk about Windows 7" , posted Fri 1 May 11:52post reply

quote:
Vista was bombarded with bad press because IT people all over the world didn't feel like spending money to fix something that wasn't broken (XP).

Correction, IT people didn't want to go clamoring to their bosses to upgrade their systems and find their paychecks smaller because the company invested in new software instead of a raise for their employees.

Personally I wish an IT co-worker would come tell my boss "hey this guy could use Photoshop CS4, he is still stuck on CS3" but I know that will never happen.

Iggy
8880th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Let's talk about Windows 7" , posted Fri 1 May 20:57post reply

Question is, is it lighter than Vista ?
That's all I care about.

Well, except a reason to abandon XP for yet another Windows product.

Mozex
364th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Let's talk about Windows 7" , posted Fri 1 May 22:46post reply

quote:
Question is, is it lighter than Vista ?
That's all I care about.

Early indications are yes.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=672

I've heard they also tweaked the driver architecture so that you can run multiple video drivers again. You aren't going to be stuck will all nvidia or all ati if you want to use more than 2 monitors.

Be kind to goblins.

Tai-Pan
355th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Let's talk about Windows 7" , posted Fri 1 May 23:19post reply

quote:

Correction, IT people didn't want to go clamoring to their bosses to upgrade their systems and find their paychecks smaller because the company invested in new software instead of a raise for their employees.

Correction accepted.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Baines
243th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Let's talk about Windows 7" , posted Sat 2 May 06:30post reply

quote:
A friend had a beta some time ago, and the most amusing things were the fact that many people who randomly hated Vista loved it even though architecturally it's completely the same even if it's a bit flashier and it doesn't have the bad press of the old name.

Everything I've heard from beta users tends to paint Windows 7 as a "fixed" Vista.

The biggest change beta users that I know of mentioned was that Windows 7 was apparently trying to address the inefficiency of Vista. That inefficiency was a big part of what made Vista such a joke. People adapt to the other "questionable" aspects of Vista, but it is hard to get around what Vista really wanted to run on.

Maou
1639th Post

"Re(2):Let's talk about Windows 7" , posted Sat 2 May 07:19post reply

quote:

Everything I've heard from beta users tends to paint Windows 7 as a "fixed" Vista.

My brief experience was a "spiffed up" Vista as opposed to a fixed one...assuming that we're talking about Vista now as opposed to prior to SP1. It really was comical that people would say how they loved Windows 7, and their reasons were all aspects that were already part of Vista. I mean, yeah, Windows ME deserves the sucker-punches it gets, but XP was awful at the start, and that didn't seem to bother the people who were against ditching it for Vista. Not that there's any excuse for having your OS be shoddy in release, but still.

Only thing about 7 that seemed worse were the "helpful" auto-groups of all windows of the same program under a combined icon. I don't like the old Windows setting of having them all cluster together, necessitating an extra click. Can this be turned off in 7, too?

Tai-Pan
356th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Let's talk about Windows 7" , posted Sat 2 May 09:07post reply

quote:

Can this be turned off in 7, too?

The last time I checked: You can't. But with the latest release they changed many many things due to user feedback.

Maou
1640th Post

"Re(4):Let's talk about Windows 7" , posted Sat 2 May 09:29post reply

quote:

Can this be turned off in 7, too?

The last time I checked: You can't. But with the latest release they changed many many things due to user feedback.

Yaa, I hope so. I like 7's look even better than Vista (well, it's all cribbing OSX, but who can blame them), but like with a good website, it seems to me that the basic rule should always be to minimize the amount of clicks it takes for people to get where they need to be.

Baines
244th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Let's talk about Windows 7" , posted Sun 3 May 10:50post reply

quote:
It really was comical that people would say how they loved Windows 7, and their reasons were all aspects that were already part of Vista.

That Microsoft could do the whole "Mojave" ad campaign showed that enough people didn't really know enough about Vista to realize if they were even using it.

But there are legitimate improvements between Vista and Windows 7, some of which Vista *did* need (such as making it lighter.)