This is going to be a RandomThread toremember - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (4689 Views )

sfried
350th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Customer

"This is going to be a RandomThread toremember" , posted Tue 21 Apr 18:19post reply

...Shoot!?
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/04/sky_stage.jpg [Image Attached]

Replies:

Ikari Loona
246th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Tue 21 Apr 18:50post reply

quote:
...Shoot!?
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/04/sky_stage.jpg [Image Attached]

WTF...

Needs more Mars People.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Ishmael
3458th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Tue 21 Apr 22:29post reply

I'm holding out for KOF: The Text Adventure.

karasu99
116th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Wed 22 Apr 00:01post reply

quote:

Funny you should say that-- I've been toying with the idea of writing a text adventure lately, and KOF would be as good a subject as any. The inputs could get kind of complex, but I think it would be fun.

Toxico
4726th Post

"Re(1):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Wed 22 Apr 03:31post reply

quote:
...Shoot!?

This needs to be in the live action movie....

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 06/03/09 (99 personajes) <- se agregó a Nameless

Nekros
179th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Wed 22 Apr 05:41post reply

quote:

It lives! KOF: KYO on psx!

sfried
354th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Sat 2 May 04:49post reply

X-SEED aquires Valhalla Knights. (So that's the reason why they sold Oboromurasama to Ignition?)

nobinobita
518th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Tue 5 May 00:33:post reply

Just got the demo for MVC2 on PS3. Anyone else give it a spin yet?

It's really gorgeous! I can't speak for the gameplay cos I never was any good at the VS games, but visually it looks wonderful. The filter they have over the sprites actually looks alright, and the backgrounds look better than ever! Apparently the Dreamcast version had higher rez textures than the Dreamcast was capable of outputting... or something like that. In any case, the game doesn't show a hint of age and looks amazing in HD. THe colors realllly pop out. It's amazing.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Tue 5 May 00:57]

Maou
1641th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Tue 5 May 02:23post reply

quote:
Just got the demo for MVC2 on PS3. Anyone else give it a spin yet?

It's really gorgeous! I can't speak for the gameplay cos I never was any good at the VS games, but visually it looks wonderful. The filter they have over the sprites actually looks alright, and the backgrounds look better than ever! Apparently the Dreamcast version had higher rez textures than the Dreamcast was capable of outputting... or something like that. In any case, the game doesn't show a hint of age and looks amazing in HD. THe colors realllly pop out. It's amazing.

Wow, sounds great! I don't actually like playing Marvel, but the graphics and animation are a delight. I like to think that if this goes well, they'll re-release Third Strike on the PS3 and people will go crazy over it and realize how much more fun it is than 4.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Iggy
8886th Post

"Re(4):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Tue 5 May 02:59post reply

quote:
I like to think that if this goes well, they'll re-release Third Strike on the PS3 and people will go crazy over it and realize how much more fun it is than 4.

Actually, what this MvC2 means is that the Naomi/360 emulation is complete, and Moejus, Power Stone, or Kikaiô are around thte corner !

or so do I hope. (old) Arcades on virtual console(s) is the new trend.

ktallguy
1101th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(5):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Tue 5 May 10:53post reply

I downloaded MvC2 and played with it a bit (alone *sniff*).

The sprites and animation both look amazing, even though MvC2 actually had a ton of frames cut so that they could fit all the characters in the game (or am I just confusing another game with MvC2?).

I would buy 3s with online play in a heartbeat.
Bonus points if they REBALANCE THE GAME PLEASEEEEE

Play to win.

Mozex
367th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Tue 5 May 12:34post reply

quote:

Actually, what this MvC2 means is that the Naomi/360 emulation is complete

This game has already been ported to PS2 and xbox though so I'm guessing they just did another port job for the download versions.

Judging from the number of games that showed up on xbox, gamecube and PS2 though the API for naomi games is probably really friendly to porting.

Be kind to goblins.

Maou
1642th Post

"Re(6):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Tue 5 May 23:44post reply

quote:

No! You shall enjoy always losing to Chun Li and Yang! Always! At least Chun Li is gorgeous enough in the game that it's okay. Or: they could make Sean the best character in the game. It'd play that.

That's disappointing if Marvel's missing frames, though. I guess it's too much to ask for them to do a proper arcade port rather than a port of a port? Blah. Arcade-perfect (to most people) is why I love my PS2 copy of SFZero Generations so much.

karasu99
126th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Wed 6 May 00:29post reply

quote:
That's disappointing if Marvel's missing frames, though. I guess it's too much to ask for them to do a proper arcade port rather than a port of a port? Blah. Arcade-perfect (to most people) is why I love my PS2 copy of SFZero Generations so much.

Isn't what ktallguy was saying is that MvC2 was missing frames to start with (in the original, not specific to this release)? That was my understanding as well.

I'm happy to see it. The PS2 version had silly-ish load times, and for some reason my copy for the DC won't spin up (I think my elderly DC optical drive has trouble with it, but it's only for this game). Not my favorite ever, but, like countless other 2D fighters of its generation, it's very evocative of an era of games for me.

Speaking of which, I'm shocked that no one, NO ONE has mentioned the apparent remake of TMNT: Turtles in Time. Granted, TMNT isn't the most highbrow of topics, but surely someone here is at least a little bit interested in what is a pretty decent multiplayer beat-em-up, regardless of your opinion of the franchise?

nobinobita
519th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Wed 6 May 00:37post reply

quote:
No! You shall enjoy always losing to Chun Li and Yang! Always! At least Chun Li is gorgeous enough in the game that it's okay. Or: they could make Sean the best character in the game. It'd play that.

I've read from various places (though I haven't seen an actual reliable source) that the original backgrounds for MVC2 had higher res textures than the Dreamcast or Ps2 could output. If that's so, it seems like they went back to the arcade version for the port, which I would belive, because the textures look razor sharp in HD. Also, the animation is the same as the arcade version, that I know for sure. I've heard that frames were cut from the original arcade version, but it's hard for me to tell since the game is so fast and still looks great. Every time I play the cps2 games though, I do feel like the animation is much smoother than I remember, but that might just be because they run at a lower frame rate so I have more time to take in all the frames.

Also, SFIII would be an instant purchase for me. I hope they can add some fake scanlines to it too, that'd be the icing on the cake.

Also, didja know Akiman himself animated Chunli for Third Strike? I have a book with his rough drawings of the keyframes in it. They're awesome.

One (of many) reasons that Third Strike stands out so strong is that it just might be the last fully hand animated game. There's no indication that they used a cg base for the characters like most new 2d games. It feels so much livelier for it.

I'm still super excited for KOFXII and Blazblue, they're beautiful looking, but for pure animation SFIII will always be tops.

Maou
1644th Post

"Re(8):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Wed 6 May 00:37:post reply

Oh, interesting, missing frames in the original arcade? I guess I'd always seen machines as these objects with limitless potential that were always being cut down for crappy console ports, but I guess Marvel is soooo animated that it's possible. Then again, Third Strike characters have probably about 10 frames of animation more for their walking animation than most Marvel characters do in their entirety, so I'm not sure.

I did actually half-notice that Turtles remake...though we all grew out of Ninja Turtles, that game is probably still pretty fun today. I'm actually not sure that I'd want to see that new "3D art" remake when the original's animation is so delightful and comic book-ish, though...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 6 May 00:40]

karasu99
128th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Wed 6 May 01:10post reply

quote:

Also, didja know Akiman himself animated Chunli for Third Strike? I have a book with his rough drawings of the keyframes in it. They're awesome.

Would that be the incredibly hard to find (at normal human prices) Gamest mook repro that they packaged with the PS2 limited edition? I suppose I would be rude if I were to ask you to scan those pages, wouldn't I?

quote:
Then again, Third Strike characters have probably about 10 frames of animation more for their walking animation than most Marvel characters do in their entirety, so I'm not sure.

That's one of the reasons I prefer 3S-- it concentrates on fighting games tactics more than speed, which suits my playing style much better.

I can see the rationale for releasing 3S on PSN or XBLA being that they want to cash in on SFIV's current popularity, but I can also see the opposite-- that they decline to port it because it would draw sales away from their Big Hit. Especially when all of the new SFIV fans see how much better 3S plays-- OH!

quote:

I did actually half-notice that Turtles remake...though we all grew out of Ninja Turtles, that game is probably still pretty fun today. I'm actually not sure that I'd want to see that new "3D art" remake when the original's animation is so delightful and comic book-ish, though...

Hum, yeah, it stinks that they went the 3D route, but I don't think that for essentially budget releases like XBLA games we're going to see much hand-drawn 2D anymore, except in the most rudimentary manner and for the simplest of games.

Maou
1644th Post

"Re(9):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Wed 6 May 01:18post reply

Oops. I just remembered that special edition book. And I just remembered that I have NO IDEA why I didn't buy the limited edition when it came out. Gah.

quote:

Especially when all of the new SFIV fans see how much better 3S plays-- OH!

No doubt! Though I do have III to blame for the sure-killing-technique links into super combos in IV. I wish they hadn't decided that the one thing they took from III for IV was...the worst part of III.

quote:

Hum, yeah, it stinks that they went the 3D route, but I don't think that for essentially budget releases like XBLA games we're going to see much hand-drawn 2D anymore, except in the most rudimentary manner and for the simplest of games.

Probably true, but a shame...I think 2.5 is kind of...gross. If one is going with "outdated" 2D gameplay, may as well do something that will always look rather well-drawn than something that will look laughable later since 3D ages so incredibly badly.

karasu99
129th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):This is going to be a RandomThread tor" , posted Wed 6 May 01:33post reply

quote:
I think 2.5 is kind of...gross. If one is going with "outdated" 2D gameplay, may as well do something that will always look rather well-drawn than something that will look laughable later since 3D ages so incredibly badly.

I wouldn't mind 2.5D if it was done better, but so often the cheapness of it is very obvious. One notable exception is pre-rendered backgrounds for 2D games, which can be truly gorgeous, especially given the improvements in rendering technology in the last few years. I've seen non-game related architectural rendering that is jaw dropping, and almost indistinguishable from photography.

But we drift off topic somewhat-- this is interesting enough that perhaps we should take this to a new topic?

I would have liked to see them remake more cartoony things like this with cel shading, honestly. Although... the screens I've seen of Turtles in Time are obscure enough that I guess it's still possible?

Ishmael
3474th Post

"Re(9):This is going to be a RandomThread tore" , posted Wed 6 May 22:29post reply

While I did like TMNT: Turtles in Time there have been many, many TMNT games that have not been worth playing. I'm always a bit cautious of licensed material especially when it's a remake of something that worked just fine the first time. Besides, if I can't Mode 7 my opponents to death will I still be able to enjoy the game?

quote:
I did actually half-notice that Turtles remake...though we all grew out of Ninja Turtles, that game is probably still pretty fun today.

Games that feature ninja girls, ninja who come from outer space, ninja who ride whales, ninja who try to cross crowded highways and so on and so forth are all well and good. But ninja turtles? We're far too sophisticated for that sort of unrefined balderdash!

karasu99
133th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):This is going to be a RandomThread tor" , posted Thu 7 May 05:07post reply

So, I downloaded the MvC2 demo last night, and took it for a test drive.

Graphically it it looks about as good as I expected it to look based on what everyone had said here and considering its age, but I did notice one thing that I hope they'll fix in the final release-- the screen width. Rather than-- not really sure of how to describe this, but here goes-- 'reverse letterboxing' it to fit on newer displays by adding in border art on either side they just made the playfield wider. But now you can't walk right up to the edge of the screen. This wouldn't be an issue, but characters like Chun Li who have a triangle kick, and (even worse) Strider, who can cling to the edge of the screen, do so to the invisible edge of the screen.

You all may know that I'm approaching this and any other game based on how it looks, even before the game play, but in this case, isn't this something that affects game play as well?

Now that I think of it, didn't the preview screens show it with the side art? Maybe it's a setting or something that missed, but still-- this is the default.

Maou
1645th Post

"Re(10):This is going to be a RandomThread tor" , posted Thu 7 May 08:43post reply

quote:
ninja girls, ninja who come from outer space, ninja who ride whales, ninja who try to cross crowded highways and so on and so forth are all well and good. But ninja turtles? We're far too sophisticated for that sort of unrefined balderdash!

Silly, whale-riding is mentioned in many ancient texts from Genji to secretive ninja clan codes. Retromutagen ooze, however, is Western imperialism and punishable by death, just like muskets and Technodromes.

nobinobita
521th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):This is going to be a RandomThre" , posted Thu 7 May 08:52post reply

quote:

Silly, whale-riding is mentioned in many ancient texts from Genji to secretive ninja clan codes.

This is very true.

http://jwakeham.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/musashi_on_the_back_of_a_whale.jpg

crazymike
1500th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Re(10):This is going to be a RandomThre" , posted Thu 7 May 09:37post reply

If she comes with the game i'm sold

As for MvC 2, I have always sworn there were cut frames too, Sentinel's animation in X-Men: COTA is gorgeous but seems a little jerkier, i'm sure Capcom did it to sync up a bit more with the SF: Alpha sprites more so than a memory issue.

Maou
1648th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):This is going to be a RandomThre" , posted Thu 7 May 09:39:post reply

quote:

Silly, whale-riding is mentioned in many ancient texts from Genji to secretive ninja clan codes.

This is very true.

http://jwakeham.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/musashi_on_the_back_of_a_whale.jpg

Curses, Nobi, you've proved me true! I meant for that to be ridiculous, but I'd forgotten about one of my very favorite prints.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 7 May 09:40]

nobinobita
523th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):This is going to be a RandomThre" , posted Thu 7 May 10:34post reply

quote:

Curses, Nobi, you've proved me true! I meant for that to be ridiculous, but I'd forgotten about one of my very favorite prints.

Haha,

Don't forget that weapon wielding mutant animal martial artists are also a proud Asian tradition:

http://www.pacificasiamuseum.org/japanesepaintings/images/popuplarge/3_2a.jpg

Also, Octopi and Potatoes are natural enemies.

Maou
1648th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):This is going to be a RandomThre" , posted Thu 7 May 12:19post reply

quote:
Don't forget that weapon wielding mutant animal martial artists are also a proud Asian tradition:http://www.pacificasiamuseum.org/japanesepaintings/images/popuplarge/3_2a.jpg

It seems that these Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird characters knew more than they knew about ninjas! Even if some of said ninjas wielded katana in each hand like huntsman's daggers. Hmmmmmmmm.

sfried
356th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Sakura Wars US bound..." , posted Mon 11 May 21:32post reply

Official

Ishmael
3479th Post

"Re(2):Sakura Wars US bound..." , posted Mon 11 May 22:35post reply

quote:
Official

This is good news for me since Sakura Wars is a series I've always been curious about but never had the chance to try. But how is this particular game? I've heard it wasn't as well received as previous entries but I don't know if that is a sign that there are flaws in the game or if the complaints were simply internet screaming.

Maese Spt
479th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Sakura Wars US bound..." , posted Mon 11 May 22:57post reply

quote:
Official
This is good news for me since Sakura Wars is a series I've always been curious about but never had the chance to try. But how is this particular game? I've heard it wasn't as well received as previous entries but I don't know if that is a sign that there are flaws in the game or if the complaints were simply internet screaming.

Fron what I heard/read back in the day, pretty much the overall consensus was that the game was utter crap. How crappy it actually is, I wouldn't know, but I guess is not the best possible choice to get started with the series.

Maybe it's just that the formula grew old and Sakura Wars is now demodè but, in my opinion, an interwar period samurai-cowgirl as the main character was a bit too cheesy even for an eminently cheesy saga. Just my two cents, though.

Maou
1651th Post

"Re(2):Sakura Wars US bound..." , posted Mon 11 May 23:52:post reply

quote:
Official

!!! How very, very weird! I remember thinking at the time that the failure of Sega to let the original Sakura Taisen over to the US on Saturn was a travesty and symptomatic of the foreign game market's problem (and it was), so it's a very odd feeling to see the series headed to the US about ten years after the fact. Not that recent entries have been particularly well-received, but it's probably still an important enough series that everyone should have access to it, hate it or love it. What an interesting thing that the US market can change enough for a game like this to come out from someone who isn't Atlus or Working Designs.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 11 May 23:53]

Iggy
8894th Post

"Re(4):Sakura Wars US bound..." , posted Tue 12 May 02:55post reply

quote:
the overall consensus was that the game was utter crap.
it is not the best possible choice to get started with the series.
the formula grew old and Sakura Wars is now demodè
an interwar period samurai-cowgirl as the main character was a bit too cheesy even for an eminently cheesy saga.

Thats sums up everything. Except that the cheezy main character was actually the best character of them all, which says something.

Maou
1651th Post

"Re(5):Sakura Wars US bound..." , posted Tue 12 May 03:04post reply

quote:
the overall consensus was that the game was utter crap.
it is not the best possible choice to get started with the series.
the formula grew old and Sakura Wars is now demodè
an interwar period samurai-cowgirl as the main character was a bit too cheesy even for an eminently cheesy saga.
Thats sums up everything. Except that the cheezy main character was actually the best character of them all, which says something.

Oh, undoubtedly all true! Still, the idea of even a crappy entry in this series being released abroad is interesting to me, given that it was high on the list of "(at one time) significant works that would never never leave Japan," right next to Tokimeki Memorial.

...wait, Tokimemo was never translated, right?

Ishmael
3480th Post

"Kojima does stuff" , posted Wed 13 May 22:13post reply

A new teaser image of whatever Kojima is doing now is out. The game seems to involve a giant Moai statue floating through the clouds but I may be mis-reading the picture. Whatever it is, at this point I seem to enjoy the ad campaigns for Kojima's games more than the actual product.

karasu99
137th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Kojima does stuff" , posted Thu 14 May 00:46post reply

quote:
A new teaser image of whatever Kojima is doing now is out. The game seems to involve a giant Moai statue floating through the clouds but I may be mis-reading the picture. Whatever it is, at this point I seem to enjoy the ad campaigns for Kojima's games more than the actual product.

I like the ad a lot as well, but Kotaku's style there was the kind of 'it's almost not even news, but we'll microexamine it and report our speculation anyway' that I've come to expect from most reporting on Kojima.

Nekros
181th Post

Regular Customer

"Sega does what Nintendon't" , posted Thu 14 May 01:30post reply

Kojima likes Call Of Duty and visited Infinity Ward last year, maybe is a military fps or strategy title. Or a fps based on MGS universe.

Today reading Neogaf I found this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361523
It sounds realistic, but I find it "too cool" to be true...the reality is something more fishy, like this one: http://kotaku.com/5251409/nintendo-we-cant-satisfy-you-and-you-enjoy-it

Btw, my girlfriend bought me a DUO *_* ... any suggestion about cool games that are also cheap?

Maou
1652th Post

"Re(1):Sega does what Nintendon't" , posted Thu 14 May 04:38post reply

quote:
any suggestion about cool games

Akumajou Dracula X!!

quote:
that are also cheap?

Uh-oh.

Akumajou Dracula X

I hear that you could play the glorious PCE edition of YsI&II? Cosmic Phantasy II always looked delightful, as well.

karasu99
138th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Sega does what Nintendon't" , posted Thu 14 May 05:44post reply

quote:
Cosmic Phantasy II always looked delightful, as well.

I'll second that one, although I couldn't say if the JP version is priced cheaply or not.

I've noticed that since the release of the PSP remake of ADX, the original has gotten marginally cheaper. Still pretty high though, sadly.

Maou
1653th Post

"Re(3):Sega does what Nintendon't" , posted Thu 14 May 07:19post reply

quote:
Cosmic Phantasy II always looked delightful, as well.

I'll second that one, although I couldn't say if the JP version is priced cheaply or not.

I've noticed that since the release of the PSP remake of ADX, the original has gotten marginally cheaper. Still pretty high though, sadly.

Yeah, I suspect that stalwart collectors are well aware that the emulation on Dracula X and Dracula X~Nocturne in the Moonlight is far from perfect, leaving only the 2.5D nonsense that still wouldn't satisfy the type of Dracula fan who forks over 10000yen for the PCE edition. Count me as one of them!

Pollyanna
2668th Post

"Re(2):Sega does what Nintendon't" , posted Thu 14 May 08:03post reply

quote:

Akumajou Dracula X!!

that are also cheap?

Uh-oh.

Akumajou Dracula X

I hear that you could play the glorious PCE edition of YsI&II? Cosmic Phantasy II always looked delightful, as well.

Hahah! That really made my day.

(Derail! Derail!)

I went through Dracula X again recently (it's a kind of...yearly or every other year ritual for me) and it made me hungry for more Castlevania. I had actually never gone through Castlevania 4, so I was excited to try it...but it's so...bleaghhhh. So sluggish with so many annoying deaths! It was recommended to me by some friends, but I guess I should've known better since they DIDN'T like Dracula X.

I don't know if Cosmic Fantasy 2 holds up in the gameplay department, but it certainly has some plot elements that I still like

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
(the sudden, surprise incorporation of the characters from the first game and the bittersweet ending)

End of Spoiler

I bought Cosmic Fantasy 3 and 4, but never even played them. I also can't manage to make it through the Tengai Makyou games. I start them, I enjoy them for their quirks, then I give them up for their annoyances.

As for recommendations, I would say "Lords of Thunder", but the nagging notion that the Mega CD one has the better soundtrack is making me hold back.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

sfried
357th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):what Genesisn't" , posted Thu 14 May 10:15post reply

quote:
Today reading Neogaf I found this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=361523
It sounds realistic, but I find it "too cool" to be true...the reality is something more fishy, like this one: http://kotaku.com/5251409/nintendo-we-cant-satisfy-you-and-you-enjoy-it
Nintendo reps say the stupidest things, really. It's as if they're trying to repel people from buying their stuff...in the meantime, at least their marketing division is getting something right for once.
quote:

I went through Dracula X again recently (it's a kind of...yearly or every other year ritual for me) and it made me hungry for more Castlevania. I had actually never gone through Castlevania 4, so I was excited to try it...but it's so...bleaghhhh. So sluggish with so many annoying deaths! It was recommended to me by some friends, but I guess I should've known better since they DIDN'T like Dracula X.
Well, there's already a Contra ReBirth underway, so who knows? Castlevania Resurrection?

Iggy
8896th Post

"Re(4):Sega does what Nintendon't" , posted Thu 14 May 16:27post reply

quote:
Yeah, I suspect that stalwart collectors are well aware that the emulation on Dracula X and Dracula X~Nocturne in the Moonlight is far from perfect, leaving only the 2.5D nonsense that still wouldn't satisfy the type of Dracula fan who forks over 10000yen for the PCE edition. Count me as one of them!

What about the virtual console port ?

Gojira
2523th Post

"Re(1):Kojima does stuff" , posted Thu 14 May 20:08post reply

quote:

Funny but the mention of Moai statues floating brings to mind Gradius.

When was the last time Konami made a Gradius game anyway?

shipoopi

karasu99
139th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Kojima does stuff" , posted Thu 14 May 23:17post reply

quote:

Funny but the mention of Moai statues floating brings to mind Gradius.

When was the last time Konami made a Gradius game anyway?

I was thinking the same thing! Moai go with two things for me: Polynesian restaurants and Gradius.

Gradius Rebirth was released on VC etc not too long ago. I've been a bad fan and haven't bought it yet.

Nekros
183th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Sega does what Nintendon't" , posted Fri 15 May 06:34:post reply

Thanks to you all, I like PCE so much (is really 8-bit technology? It's amazing!!! And the controls are smooth and perfect even on games that on other systems are sluggish). I'm thinking to get Dracula X ANYWAY, it's really a very good game and a great use of the cd format at the age. I don't think I'll get into Sapphire, its cost is far away from my immagination would ever spend for a game (and I just got the infamous US Panzer Dragoon Saga!).

Polly: Lords/Winds Of Thunder is amazing, i like the PCE version most because of the graphics. It's more solid, the colors are vibrant more than on MCD.
About Dracula/Castlevania try Dracula XX on Snes, is the sequel of the PCE one and shares a similar graphic engine.

Speaking about rumors and possbilities, Climax is working on a new Rocket Knight game (source: http://www.maniac.de/node/88804).

PS: today I got lots of japanese retro games from a friend and game collector: like Valis on MD/Snes, Rockman & Forte, Sin & Punishment, etc. I need more retro-fetish gaming!

[this message was edited by Nekros on Fri 15 May 06:36]

sfried
359th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):New Sparkster?" , posted Fri 15 May 07:39post reply

quote:
Speaking about rumors and possbilities, Climax is working on a new Rocket Knight game (source: http://www.maniac.de/node/88804).
Why Climax? Unless it's an RPG...

Grave
1163th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(7):New Sparkster?" , posted Fri 15 May 11:33post reply

quote:

Different Climax! I, uh, I dunno about this one!

nobinobita
526th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):New Sparkster?" , posted Fri 15 May 12:52post reply

quote:

Ouch! My hope!

sfried
360th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):New Sparkster?" , posted Fri 15 May 14:51post reply

quote:

Ouch! My hope!

Oh...THAT Climax.

Tell me...why not just WayForward, in that case? They already pulled it off with Contra 4.

Maou
1654th Post

"Re(6):Sega does what Nintendon't" , posted Fri 15 May 23:52post reply

quote:
About Dracula/Castlevania try Dracula XX on Snes, is the sequel of the PCE one and shares a similar graphic engine.

Unfortunately, despite reused sprites, Dracula XX isn't a sequel so much as the Worst Port Ever Made. Iggy's right about the VC release---I haven't heard complaints about that one, but I assume it runs pretty well.

Maese Spt
481th Post

Gold Customer

"have at you!" , posted Sat 16 May 18:59post reply

Woah, Polly and me really can't seem to agree on anything.

quote:

I had actually never gone through Castlevania 4, so I was excited to try it...but it's so...bleaghhhh. So sluggish with so many annoying deaths!

How can you NOT like Castlevania IV? It's a pure delight to play! Probably one of the best SNES games ever and, for me, only second to Dracula X on the Castlevania series.

Anyway, somebody suggested to play Vampire's Kiss (the later Dracula X remake for SNES), but if you loved Dracula X, it's not a good idea. Yeah, it's an OK game overall, but so inferior in every aspect to its predecessor (IV) and its leit motiv (X) that you'll kept wondering "why, Konami, WHY?" the whole playthrought. And maybe shed some tears of despair as well. I did. Twice.

Pollyanna
2669th Post

"Re(1):have at you!" , posted Sat 16 May 20:24post reply

quote:

How can you NOT like Castlevania IV? It's a pure delight to play! Probably one of the best SNES games ever and, for me, only second to Dracula X on the Castlevania series.

It just feels sluggish and "cheap" to me. You're kind of like a walking fortress with the flipping the whip around, and it's an interesting addition, but I can't say I enjoy it. Also, for me at least, the game went back and forth from being "so easy that it's not even engaging" to "filled with frustrating, unexpected deaths". I expect to die here and there, but I was surprised at how many times I threw my arms up saying "what the hell was that!?"

But then again, if they don't surprise you with sudden deaths, you can just keep the pocket watch and use it almost endlessly, since they give you an abnormally large number of hearts. Of course, you can't use it on the bosses, but they're usually so easy that it isn't an issue anyway.

Don't get me wrong, there are good things about the game, but those are the things that did not sit well with me and soured the experience as a whole.

After Dracula X, I think my favorite is Bloodlines, if that means anything. I liked the PS remake of the original, too. It might be a in my DNA to dislike CV4 and like Dracula X. Like...my CV4-loving friends think Dracula X is "cheap and mean" and I just don't get it.

I think Dracula XX gets a bad rap, but it's still a good game in its own way. I just wouldn't recommend it to someone who just finished Dracula X.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1656th Post

"Ode to CV 4" , posted Sun 17 May 08:35:post reply

quote:

It just feels sluggish and "cheap" to me. You're kind of like a walking fortress with the flipping the whip around, and it's an interesting addition, but I can't say I enjoy it. Also, for me at least, the game went back and forth from being "so easy that it's not even engaging" to "filled with frustrating, unexpected deaths". I expect to die here and there, but I was surprised at how many times I threw my arms up saying "what the hell was that!?"

But then again, if they don't surprise you with sudden deaths, you can just keep the pocket watch and use it almost endlessly, since they give you an abnormally large number of hearts. Of course, you can't use it on the bosses, but they're usually so easy that it isn't an issue anyway.

Don't get me wrong, there are good things about the game, but those are the things that did not sit well with me and soured the experience as a whole.

After Dracula X, I think my favorite is Bloodlines, if that means anything. I liked the PS remake of the original, too. It might be a in my DNA to dislike CV4 and like Dracula X. Like...my CV4-loving friends think Dracula X is "cheap and mean" and I just don't get it.

I think Dracula XX gets a bad rap, but it's still a good game in its own way. I just wouldn't recommend it to someone who just finished Dracula X.

Polly, I think that I love the SFC Dracula ("IV") not because it's the most well-designed, deep, or cohesive game in the series (that'd be PCE Dracula X), but just for its atmosphere and dynamism. I fully agree that it doesn't have the even polish of X, but I think that it's best to look at it for what it was: a powerhouse first-gen SFC game that plays almost like a high-end Dracula variety show.

Even if some of the stages are drab (the Money Pit), I love how experimental the game is in its design...you can see Konami just going CRAZY with all the 16-bit potential to see what could work best with the series. The rotating castle level, the most nimble Belmont the series has ever seen outside of the hyped-up Richter in the final battle/prologue of Dracula X~Nocturne (I think that Simon's multidirectional whip and walking-while-crouching makes him a lot more fun to move than Richter), and the variety and volume of levels really strike me. They strike me enough, in fact, that I can generally overlook the drab enemy artwork and lack of multiple routes/endings of the 8-bit masterpiece Akumajou Densetsu/"III" and Dracula X.

But again, what really does it for me is that this game oozes atmosphere through its music and settings, which are really the reasons I keep killing Dracula with these clunky vampire hunters across so many different games. The sublime opening story music that also plays when you fight Dracula epitomizes what's good about this game and about the series in general. I'm crazy for "Simon's Theme" and the organ mix of "Bloody Tears" in the (admittedly agravating) clock tower, too. Dracula X perfects the visual and musical atmosphere this series thrives on, but I think this is just such an impressive and atmospheric first-gen outing, for all its flaws.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 17 May 09:24]

nobinobita
528th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Ode to SFC Dracula" , posted Sun 17 May 09:34post reply

quote:

But again, what really does it for me is that this game oozes atmosphere through its music and settings, which is really why I keep killing Dracula with these clunky vampire hunters across so many different games. The sublime opening story music that also plays when you fight Dracula epitomizes what's good about this game and about the series in general. I'm crazy for the organ mix of "Bloody Tears" in the (admittedly agravating) clock tower, too. Dracula X perfects the visual and musical atmosphere this series thrives on, but I think this is just such an impressive first-gen outing, for all its flaws.

I agree with you 100% on this. More than the gameplay or the graphics, it's the mood of that game that endures. The opening really is sublime and the game maintains a pitch perfect atmosphere that combines a sense of danger, adventure and horror in a very specific way. It's hard to describe in words and yet I feel it so clearly when I see the game.

This reminds me of this time one of my friends sat down with another and tried to explain why the opening for Castlevania IV had the best mood ever for a horror story exceeding anything he'd seen in other games, movies or shows. Everything came together so perfectly right down to the exact colors of the pixels and the exact pitch and timber of the sounds. Of course, after a lengthy explanation, my other friend just sort of stared back and blinked mutely, not at all aware of how Castlevania was any different from other SNES titles.

That's what I love about alot of older titles though. They have such bizarre, but coherent moods to them that can't really be relayed with words. You just have to play them.

Gojira
2524th Post

"Re(2):Ode to SFC Dracula" , posted Sun 17 May 10:41post reply

I just liked doing yo-yo tricks with my whip in IV.

shipoopi

Maese Spt
482th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Ode to CV 4" , posted Sun 17 May 10:51post reply

I agree with every word of Maou's last post. He's explained so well what's great about Castlevania IV that it feels unnecessary to elaborate any further.

Anyway, one can not emphasize enough this:

quote:
Dracula X perfects the visual and musical atmosphere this series thrives on, but I think this is just such an impressive and atmospheric first-gen outing, for all its flaws.

Castlevania IV, a first-gen title, is actually way better (and prettier) than its successor on SNES, which appeared 4 years later. That really says something about its sheer awesomeness. It's a classic that never grows old. For the record, one of my Halloween rites every year (aside from gettin dead drunk on any goth-like tabernacle I can find) is playing Castlevania IV and feel the bliss.

And for Polly:

quote:
"filled with frustrating, unexpected deaths". I expect to die here and there, but I was surprised at how many times I threw my arms up saying "what the hell was that!?"

But, but... that's Castlevania for you! That's the playable essence of the series, isn't it? I don't see how is it any different from (most of) other classic Castlevanias, and from Dracula X for what's worth. Plus, I remember you saying something along the lines of "if there are not a few platform stages filled with Medusa heads pestering when you're trying to jump, is not Castlevania", so... where's the beef?

But, in any case, reading your posts one might think that liking castlevania IV and Dracula X are mutually excluding things, but I think that's not the case. I, for one, love both of them with a passion.

In fact, I think the reason I love Dracula X so much (and utterly despise Vampire's Kiss for being such a poor, tasteless remake) is precisely because I had played and loved Castlevania IV before. Save for the genetically recessive Richter, who moves like a tetraplegic if compared with his nimble ancestor, Dracula X takes every theme and element of Castlevania IV (which were already superb) to a whole new level. Probably you can't fully appreciate how awesome Dracula X is if you have not played Castlevania IV thoroughly.

Pollyanna
2670th Post

"Re(2):Ode to CV 4" , posted Sun 17 May 12:44post reply

Speaking of atmosphere and blood suckers, I also went through Nosferatu recently. I recommend the game to anyone who hasn't checked it out (and doesn't hate Prince of Persia).

I guess I'll give IV another shot, at least to finish it up. Maybe I just played it too soon after Dracula X and was stuck on comparing the two. Actually, for the sake of this conversation, I still am...

quote:

And for Polly:

"filled with frustrating, unexpected deaths". I expect to die here and there, but I was surprised at how many times I threw my arms up saying "what the hell was that!?"

But, but... that's Castlevania for you! That's the playable essence of the series, isn't it? I don't see how is it any different from (most of) other classic Castlevanias, and from Dracula X for what's worth. Plus, I remember you saying something along the lines of "if there are not a few platform stages filled with Medusa heads pestering when you're trying to jump, is not Castlevania", so... where's the beef?

I like reasonably hard games. I like games that make you die frequently and that throw situations at you that make you say "there's no way in hell I can do this"...then you do it. But I like to feel in CONTROL of that, and that's where I think CV4 differs from Dracula X.

In the numerous times I've played through Dracula X, I don't think I've called "foul" more than maybe...once or twice on deaths. With CV4, I did numerous levels like...almost without getting hit, then found myself in situations where I was dying without really knowing why. Or...well, I knew why (I fell off the screen or whatever), but it was like I didn't understand the situation or how to deal with it...like the creators weren't "communicating" with me properly.

But that might be me, not the game. Or rather, me and the game just don't get along on some level. Also, this is an extremely common problem with many games...I was just expecting a lot when I went into CV4 and I was let down a bit. When I play older games, one of the big things I appreciate is "precision" in level design and I don't feel like the design in CV4 was meticulous enough.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1657th Post

"Grander Ode to CV 4" , posted Sun 17 May 13:26:post reply

quote:
it's the mood of that game that endures. The opening really is sublime and the game maintains a pitch perfect atmosphere that combines a sense of danger, adventure and horror in a very specific way. It's hard to describe in words and yet I feel it so clearly when I see the game.
Nobi, I think that a look at the very start and very end will do the trick! Polly, I think that the value of "IV" as a game lies here, in the sophistication of the transition from the sombre "Prologue" in an empty and foreboding countryside to "Simon's Theme," and of course with the haunting atmosphere created once Death is defeated and the candlelit corridor to Dracula's chamber opens. These thoughtful sets give "IV" the ability to hold a candle (ha!) to the high quality of Rondo even today, I think. Moving from Rondo down to "IV" would be difficult in light of the beauty of the evolution the PCE game showcases, but given proper consideration for its place in time, "IV" is really impressive.

Maese:
quote:

"filled with frustrating, unexpected deaths".
But, but... that's Castlevania for you!
That's a tough one. I feel that "IV," like Rondo, is generally quite fair. What sets it apart from trash like Dracula XX is that the brutally unfair Medusa-over-a-pit gimmicks are appropriately sparse and really test your mettle when they do show up. Dracula XX, being a hideous Frankenstein's Monster-like reconstruction of the pieces of Rondo's cadaver, subsists almost entirely on the trick of having a monster appear out of thin air over pits, catapulting Richter backwards to his doom every single time. My theory is that Dracula XX's core essence can be found in the difference between the last battle in Dracula X and Dracula XX. The bosses are identical, except that the battle with Dracula's demon form in Dracula XX inexplicably takes on a series of narrow pillars above a bottomless pit, guaranteeing that even one hit from Dracula will in all likelihood send you flying to your death.

quote:
For the record, one of my Halloween rites every year (aside from gettin dead drunk on any goth-like tabernacle I can find) is playing Castlevania IV and feel the bliss.
Well done! On years when Halloween doesn't fall on a weekend night for parties, I will turn out all the lights and play Dracula X~Nocturne in the Moonlight or "IV." Like to do my part on Halloween to kill the undead/spook myself. When you get down to the furthest, Hell-like depths of the castle in Nocturne on the PS and the winds are blowing outside in real life at night, it's something terrifying.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 17 May 14:26]

Spoon
1761th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Grander Ode to CV 4" , posted Sun 17 May 13:44post reply

I felt that the whole medusa/pits thing in CV4 was greatly mitigated by the landing slack whip trick (hold the attack button while in the recovery of a jump so that the moment you land on a platform, you are already in slack whip mode) and multidirectional whipping while in the air. The medusa heads still came at you at largely the same angles they did in any of the previous CV games, but now you had to tools to beat them off from many more angles than before, and that to me made it more fair...

... except when I didn't hit the diagonal I swore I did on the controller and my guy whips in the wrong direction and I get really steamed because I died and aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Though this is the standard "hardcore fan formula", I would be really really happy if they made more CVs with even more savage things than Medusas + pits provided they gave you even better tools to deal with them. You already have such an overabundance of tools and skills in the post-SotN environment that it seems a shame that your challenges are largely just boss killing, key collection, and clubbing endless hordes of monsters. The recent DS CV did have the bonus dungeons, but I'd be glad if they had sections of engaging platforming hardness in the principal campaign.

sfried
362th Post

Silver Customer

"Re:It's AMERICAN Tatsunoko Baybee!" , posted Sun 17 May 14:19:post reply

Confirmed by this month's Nintendo Power...

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/051609_201200.jpg [Image Attached]

[this message was edited by sfried on Sun 17 May 14:33]

Maese Spt
486th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Ode to CV 4" , posted Sun 17 May 19:08:post reply

quote:
found myself in situations where I was dying without really knowing why. Or...well, I knew why (I fell off the screen or whatever), but it was like I didn't understand the situation or how to deal with it...like the creators weren't "communicating" with me properly.

ドジっ子

No, seriously, I think you should give IV another chance. I can't conceive how someone who genuinely likes the Castlevania series would not enjoy Super Castlevania IV. I dunno, why don't you let it rest for a while, play another stuff, and go back to it when you feel like having some classic platformer action?

Oh, and can I totally identify myself with those "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" moments Spoon talked about. My favourite one is reaching some random stairs right after an excruciating set of platforms and then falling into oblivion just because I messed up with the controls and, clumsy me, pressed "down+jump" by accident. Oh, the bliss of the good ol' Castlevanias! This little jingle when you lose a life has become sort of a meme for me and some friends.

EDIT: Maou nailed it again regarding that horrible, horrible Dracula XX. Get out of my mind, will you?

[this message was edited by Maese Spt on Sun 17 May 19:12]

Iron D
3190th Post

"Re(1):Re:It's AMERICAN Tatsunoko Baybee!" , posted Sun 17 May 21:15post reply

quote:

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/photos/051609_201200.jpg [Image Attached]

As much as I'm not generally a fan of MvC2, I'm still hyped about this. Funny thing is, the hype here at the Cafe is mostly to blame for this interest in a game that I at first had no interest in.

Er.....

karasu99
140th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re:It's AMERICAN Tatsunoko Baybee!" , posted Mon 18 May 00:49post reply

quote:

Ah, well that's unexpected news! But good news nevertheless! I'm curious to hear how long this will take to be released! Hopefully since it's not by SNK it won't drag on for years as semi-vaporware. OH! That's right, I said it.

Seriously though, constantly updating firmware makes playing imports on the Wii a real pain, so I've never even bothered to try. It's great that for once Capcom (presumably) responded to an overwhelming amount of popular demand for a game tough-to-sort-out licensing.

quote:
Castlevania stuff

Why is it I always feel like chiming in on Castlevania discussions? I'm a big fan of both SNES CV games-- and I owned both back then as well. CV4 is one of those games that I got for Virtual Console only to find that to my delight I could beat the game with one set of lives after all this time. I think the reason I like it is that it expanded well on all of the best aspects of the first Castlevania but with nicer graphics and music. Plus (and I suspect I'm hardly alone among mmcafe-ers here) I was-- and am to this day-- a shameless Mode 7 aficionado. As for Dracula XX, back at its release I am pretty sure I was familiar with Rondo, but knew it was out of my reach (imported games being a much more difficult prospect then), so for me, it was a way to play some aspects of an otherwise unobtainable game. I don't recall thinking it was especially horrible, but then I didn't have Rondo to compare it with, and honestly I probably haven't played it since then, which is to say the mid-90's. I'd love it if they would release it for VC or otherwise, despite its crappy reputation, which I'm sure is at least somewhat undeserved.

Maou
1658th Post

"Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Mon 18 May 04:29:post reply

Maese:
quote:
EDIT: Maou nailed it again regarding that horrible, horrible Dracula XX. Get out of my mind, will you?

Hohoho, get out of your head with terrible memories like this monstrosity of a final fight? Yeah, this guy doesn't die and it thus appears to be okay, but note ye well: he did it with a barrage of axes he'd had to hoard. God help you if you die...this boss can only be beaten by the platform equivalent of level-grinding for hearts, and that's not the kind of challenge that the Dracula games are good for.

Karasu:
quote:
As for Dracula XX, ...I'd love it if they would release it for VC or otherwise, despite its crappy reputation, which I'm sure is at least somewhat undeserved.

Dracula XX is known by many things, such as Castlevania Dracula X and Vampire's Kiss, but seldom as "a good Dracula game." At least for me, heh. The charitable take is that it suffers by comparison to its godly pregenitor and that it should be evaluated as its own game. I'm already skeptical about this idea, since it borrows too many pieces (misusing them horribly) of Rondo to be considered an independent game in its own right. It's not a new symphony but an old one played incompentently by a drunken, retarded mad scientist of a conductor.

This comparison may seem unkind to the poor idiot child that is Dracula XX. Luckily, it can also be dismissed on its own meager merits. Ignore its Rondo connection and look at it as just another Dracula game, and you find: a sloppy, clunky Belmont to control compared with Simon in "IV," fewer levels than "IV" and less exploration than "III," coupled with awful level design of the pit-trap variety we've been talking about, and crummy music programming quality compared with "III" or "IV," suprisingly enough (edit: oh, I just noticed that Richter has NO recovery time when hit. WHAT?). I think that a VC release would only underline what a weak game it is, Rondo comparison or not, especially given that non-Japanese no longer have the 1994 social context of "Rondo won't come out, but at least we can get a small taste of it here this way." All this vitrol of mine is actually born of my own experience: back in the day, I played Dracula XX first, with no comparison with Rondo in mind. My immediate and lasting response: "Yuck."

We should have a random Dracula series ranting thread sometime in the semi-near future once our lines of thought have had a chance to regenerate. OR MAYBE the thread will be revived "once every 100 years when Christ's power is the weakest and scheming humans pray to the dark lord," as the instruction books say!

Also: Mode 7 rules. I too am oddly thrilled by it, maybe because it operates amidst 2D to do wonderful things. Final Fantasy VI still has my favorite world map of all games old or new, oddly enough.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 18 May 04:43]

Nekros
184th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Mon 18 May 05:27post reply

So basically:
If you play XX first you could enjoy the game, if you play Rondo first you couldn't?

I played XX via emulator about 8-9 years ago and it seemed a good game, a good platformer, a good Castlevania also. I never re-played it since then.
I played Rondo for the first time on the PSP collection and enjoyed it a lot. Maybe if I play XX today I can find it terrible compared to Rondo....

karasu99
141th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Mon 18 May 09:15post reply

Well! I'm guessing I should update myself on the world of SNES/SFC emulation it seems to see if my long ago memories truly do disappoint.

By the way, I should note that my favorite old-timey (as opposed to Metroid-ish) Castlevania is Bloodlines, which I keep hoping will eventually get the Castlevania Chronicles treatment, if only to provide a vehicle for its re-release.

And Maou, for some reason you were the one I suspected would love Mode 7 much in the way that I do! Not that I'm sure there is any shortage of such fans here.

Maou
1659th Post

"Re(3):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Mon 18 May 09:56:post reply

quote:

Chronicles

And Maou, for some reason you were the one I suspected would love Mode 7 much in the way that I do! Not that I'm sure there is any shortage of such fans here.

The Mode 7 rotating cylinder level of "IV" makes me sick to my stomach, but I love it. As for putting Vampire Killer/Bloodlines on Chronicles, they should! It started as such an odd and ill-fated label---if their goal was to bring obscure games to light rather than sell big, they did well to choose Akumajou X68000 instead of Rondo, but...huh? But if obscurity is the name of the game, Vampire Killer is the next in line! I liked the X68000 game, of course, though beating it in original mode was probably the single hardest platforming feat of my life, which all previous platforming training since a young age had been build towards (and that includes winning the original Super Mario Bros. 2/Lost Levels).

Anyway, Vampire Killer/Bloodlines is really interesting. While its graphics and sound quality are poor, I really respect how daring a Dracula game it is (so daring, in fact, that they divorced it from the main brand and didn't have Akumajou in the title, which I always thought was weird). I haven't ever felt the draw to replay it like other games in the series, but it's just as daring as "IV" in many ways with the variety of level design. Managing to feel like you were climbing the Tower of Piza on a lowly Mega Drive game was REALLY impressive.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 18 May 09:58]

Iggy
8901th Post

"Re(4):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Mon 18 May 14:24post reply

quote:
The Mode 7 rotating cylinder level of "IV" makes me sick to my stomach

And this is the reason why I always loved Chômakaimura/Super G&G more than this game: the rotating level actually DID took place in a stomach.
I only remember the yoyo oddness of Castlevania 4, the actually cool jump+downforward whipping, and of course the music of the first level. In comparison, I could still play Chômakaimura back and forth with a hand tied behind my back.

karasu99
142th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Tue 19 May 01:59post reply

quote:

And this is the reason why I always loved Chômakaimura/Super G&G more than this game: the rotating level actually DID took place in a stomach.
I only remember the yoyo oddness of Castlevania 4, the actually cool jump+downforward whipping, and of course the music of the first level. In comparison, I could still play Chômakaimura back and forth with a hand tied behind my back.

Iggy, you bring up yet another SFC/Mode 7 favorite-- still unmatched despite how good Gokumakaimura Kai is (points-- to it for 3D renders!). I was brought to tears several years ago when the GBA version was released with extra levels.

Say, I'd like to discuss DracXX further, but why don't we take it to a new topic, rather than continuing to highjack the random thread?

In other slightly less interesting news, it appears that the US release of Raiden Fighters Aces for X360 has occurred. Anyone buying?

Maou
1662th Post

"Re(6):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Tue 19 May 02:55:post reply

quote:

Say, I'd like to discuss DracXX further, but why don't we take it to a new topic, rather than continuing to highjack the random thread?

Hohohohoho! Karasu, that is exactly what random threads are most delightful for. It's an epic jostling of wills akin to Great Power politics of the 1900's as disparate random topics vie for attention in the random thread. My all-encompassing hatred for Dracula XX will surely usher in a new era of prosperity.

quote:
Iggy + whips, hmm
Iggy, I'm glad you reminded me of the directional whipping in midair. Most people remember the whip in "IV" as being movable while standing still, but that in fact was never that useful given that it did about 50% damage that way (outside of the excellent get-up move that Spoon describes so well)...but whipping in the air was where it was at.

Weirder memory: Akumajou Dracula X68000 (Chronicles), of all things, is the only other old-style Dracula game I know where you can whip downward while in the air.

Weirder-er memory: For some reason, you could only whip down-left or down-right, and not straight down or upward. This of course made the move almost as useless as Richter's double jump since given the bloodlust of the X68000 programmers, you couldn't possibly risk an extra hit of Simon's negligable health for a flashy down-forward whip that would probably miss.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 19 May 03:14]

karasu99
144th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Tue 19 May 03:17post reply

quote:

Hohohohoho! Karasu, that is exactly what random threads are most delightful for. It's an epic jostling of wills akin to Great Power politics of the 1900's as disparate random topics vie for attention in the random thread. My all-encompassing hatred for Dracula XX will surely usher in a new era of prosperity.

Indeed, I should bow to my board elders on this count. From here on, I'll start being part of the problem,rather than part of the solution. Incidentally, I should note that I don't disagree with you on the negative aspects of DracXX, I just want to try for myself and experience the burn.

quote:

Weirder memory: Akumajou Dracula X68000 (Chronicles) is the only other old-style Dracula game I know where you can whip downward while in the air.

Hum, I had never noticed that somehow, I guess because of its adherence otherwise to the Famicom-CV model. [tries][/tries] Hey, you're right!

Maou
1662th Post

"Re(8):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Tue 19 May 03:28post reply

quote:
From here on, I'll start being part of the problem,rather than part of the solution.
Haw, excellent! That's what we're all about around here.

Feel free to help poor XX weather the storm---I'd actually be interested to see if there is anything good about it that I've forgotten in my sea of sorrows. I come to bury Dracula XX, not to praise him.

...come to think of it, I guess that at least the remixed music of the first level isn't as bad as the rest of the remixes. Sometimes, I almost -like- the twangy guitar start and synth insanity. Then I punch myself, snap out of it, and listen to the original, but still, it does happen.

karasu99
145th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Tue 19 May 08:53post reply

quote:

Feel free to help poor XX weather the storm---I'd actually be interested to see if there is anything good about it that I've forgotten in my sea of sorrows. I come to bury Dracula XX, not to praise him.

Okay, this is extremely preliminary, but can I just say that the first level REALLY made me recall the mid-90's? Wow.

I didn't get very far though, because I'm on a deadline, but I'm going to play through as much more tonight as I can stomach/enjoy.

I will say, however, that it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. There's something aesthetically about SNES games vs. Genesis or TurboGrafx games-- I don't know, maybe the size of the color palette? The first stage music is also great, I agree. So, yeah. So far, so good, but we'll see.

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(10):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Wed 20 May 02:42post reply

quote:
Okay, this is extremely preliminary, but can I just say that the first level REALLY made me recall the mid-90's? Wow.

Stage 1 of Dracula XX is very much like stage 1 of Dracula X, only with better graphics and without the secret second path. The games diverge substantially after that stage.

I'll readily admit I like XX. I did play XX before X, however (and IV before either) and was comfortable with XX's level of difficulty. X is easy mode (and as Maria, it's a joke). As Maou mentioned above, the final boss battle against Dracula illustrates the difference between the two games well -- X's Dracula is a cakewalk (even the casual-game-loving IGA had to ramp him up with a third form for Chronicles), whereas XX's puts up an epic fight.

That said, I don't disagree with the assertion that X is a better game than XX, in much the same way that Super Mario Bros. 1 is a better game than its various hacked challenge modes floating around the web (or even The Lost Levels/SMB2j). XX is a cut-down mish-mash of X, and apart from the difficulty (which I'm biased about), lack of ugly anime, and stage 1 flame effects, is better in every way.

As for IV, it's best to think of it as a remake/reprise of Castlevania 1 instead of a "sequel". In that light, it's magnificent. IV wasn't meant to take the series down the X road, but to return the series to its roots/give classic Castlevania one last harrah! in a big and bold fashion, which it did beautifully.

Now, Bloodlines was the real clunker IMO. The look and feel of the game is more akin to a Castlevania knock-off than a Castlevania proper. Given that Bloodlines comes in the release chronology just after Dracula X and just before Symphony of the Night (ignoring Dracula XX), it also feels terribly out of place. Had it been released between III and IV, I suppose I would have been more receptive to it.

Red Falcon
6073th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Wed 20 May 03:25post reply

I actually feel similarly to Emagius. XX is not as bad as everyone likes to say it is, and the game looks particularly good. It just isn't better than X.

< Homeowner now.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Iggy
8905th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Wed 20 May 06:48post reply

quote:
Homeowner now.

Finally, something good coming out of this thread! Congrats!

Maou
1664th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Wed 20 May 11:51:post reply

quote:
The games diverge substantially after that stage.
...into darkness! Or at least, into questionable design and an awful awful awful rendition of Vampire Killer.

quote:
X's Dracula is a cakewalk (even the casual-game-loving IGA had to ramp him up with a third form for Chronicles), whereas XX's puts up an epic fight.
I'd still call XX's Dracula a wretched excuse for a last boss, more cheap tricks than an actual test of your mettle. If he can kill you in four hits, it's a good test (see Chronicles), but if he can kill you in one just because pits literally suck Richter into them after he rebounds helplessly with no recovery time after just one stray hit, I call that poor game design.

But I love your idea of XX as Super Mario Bros. 2 to Rondo's 1! Though in my book maybe it's like a special Brazilian Sega Master System port of a 4-bit retelling of Super Mario Bros. 2 to Rondo's 1, played in an emulator in Windows Milennium Edition. Give or take.

quote:
As for IV, it's best to think of it as a remake/reprise of Castlevania 1 instead of a "sequel".
Right you are! After all, it's the truth---while I still find it hilarious that Konami slapped the foreign version of the remake simply titled Akumajou Dracula with not only a IV but a SUPER. I wish it were Super Castlevania IV Hyper Fighting, though.

quote:
Bloodlines beatdown
Emagius, I'm sorta surprised at the dislike for Vampire Killer/Bloodlines, even though I could totally get how it might not appeal. I mean, the graphics and music programming quality (not the music---Yamane is great!) are really poor and unusual, making it feel like the gaiden that it is. On the other hand, I can't help but be impressed by the cleverness of the level design (aforementioned Tower of Pisa, for instance) despite the weak Mega Drive hardware. Maybe it's a case of limited system resources forcing the creators to be better designers in a fundamental level, divorced of glitz. Or maybe it would have been even more amazing on SFC, I'm not sure. I just really dig the variety afforded by the open countryside and riffs on Bram Stoker's story, plus the whole real-life Count Barthory villainess.

Red Falcon:
quote:
< Homeowner now.
Now Zoidberg is a homeowner!

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 20 May 11:55]

karasu99
148th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Thu 21 May 11:27post reply

quote:
I still find it hilarious that Konami slapped the foreign version of the remake simply titled Akumajou Dracula with not only a IV but a SUPER. I wish it were Super Castlevania IV Hyper Fighting, though.

Remember, though, that the SNES-era 'hook' was that is was SUPER, much like many of the first round of DS games names took the format <GAMENAME:D-WORD S-WORD> which I found to be just as dumb. I think that in general, the slightly more discerning (or obsessive) Japanese fan is more apt to perceive that a game for a new system, 6 or 7 years after the original was released, is a new game rather than the same old game for the older system.

Oh, incidentally, I've reached a conclusion regarding DracXX, having played through both games in the last few days. Both are decent graphically. The XX edges Rondo in some respects-- the overall look of XX is more colorful, brighter, and more solid, probably due to the differences in graphics processing between the two platforms. But overall the sprites in Rondo appear larger, the animation is smoother, and the darker palette suits the game more. Soundwise, I know that Rondo features higher quality sound, but somehow I prefer XX's music-- that's probably just personal preference though.

Now for the big one-- gameplay. I really wanted to prefer XX for some reason, but... I just can't. Richter's movements are wooden, he seems slower in relation to the enemies, he's slow to react to button presses, and worst of all, he has no hit invulnerability whatsoever after an initial hit-- meaning that in very early stages I would get hit during a jump by a medusa head on its downward arc, and then hit again by the same head on its upward arc. Often this would lead to my losing a third of my life bar if it didn't send me into a bottomless pit. This to me seems like either an extremely harsh adjustment of difficulty in response to a perception that Rondo was too easy, poor programming, or... maybe it's just that Richters kindof floats down from where he was hit, so that he can essentially be juggled, whereas Simon, in the earlier games, falls very fast (hence the infamous plunge-to-doom into bottomless pits in the first CV). The original Castlevania was tough and unforgiving, but the juggled-by-enemies thing is just too much. It doesn't make the game challenging, it makes it not fun. I have no idea why I didn't recall this from years ago, but in general I have improved as a player over the years, so maybe it's just selective recall or something.

One last note-- little touches, like the stage intro graphics, the quest aspect, the drama created by the opening duel on the coach-- they go a long ways toward making Rondo a great game. And, you'll note, they're all completely absent in XX.

So yes, Maou, I concede: you are right, Rondo is the better game, on all the counts that matter to me.

WHEW.

Maou
1666th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Thu 21 May 12:07:post reply

quote:
It doesn't make the game challenging, it makes it not fun.

[Emperor] Goooood! Your hate has made you powerful!![/Emperor]

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 21 May 12:09]

karasu99
149th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Fri 22 May 01:31post reply

quote:
It doesn't make the game challenging, it makes it not fun.
[Emperor] Goooood! Your hate has made you powerful!![/Emperor]

Hey, hey, hey... hate is a very strong word. I'd rather reserve my hate for small children. I'll view XX as something that I loved when I was younger, in a naive time, but that I can't enjoy anymore, like cartoons of the same era. And so another part of my youth dies.

Hey, but the soundtrack-- it's good stuff. I don't suppose anyone has the stage 1 SNES version just lying around that they might pass to me?

Maou
1667th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Fri 22 May 01:33:post reply

quote:
Hey, hey, hey... hate is a very strong word.
Look in your heart, you know it to be true.

Oddly enough, I do have "Blood Relations of Heaven and Earth" from XX, even if I like Rondo's better. Orrr you can grab it from the multimedia section of Kurt's wonderful Castlevania Dungeon, which I'm sure you know.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 22 May 01:35]

karasu99
150th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Fri 22 May 01:53post reply

quote:
Orrr you can grab it from the multimedia section of Kurt's wonderful Castlevania Dungeon, which I'm sure you know.

Ah yes, I know of that guy, but had forgotten. Thanks!

I may even end up grabbing the PSP Chronicle OST.

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Thu 4 Jun 01:53post reply

quote:
By the way, I should note that my favorite old-timey (as opposed to Metroid-ish) Castlevania is Bloodlines, which I keep hoping will eventually get the Castlevania Chronicles treatment, if only to provide a vehicle for its re-release.

At E3, Sony announced Castlevania Bloodlines for the PSP with a release date of November 10, 2009. Surely it's a remake in the spirit of Dracula X Chronicles.

This will be my second Day One purchase of a PSP game (the first, of course, was Dracula X Chronicles itself).

karasu99
152th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Thu 4 Jun 03:01post reply

quote:
At E3, Sony announced Castlevania Bloodlines for the PSP with a release date of November 10, 2009. Surely it's a remake in the spirit of Dracula X Chronicles.

Oho, that's the best news I've heard all week! I can't wait to hear more! And it makes our humble thread strangely prescient.

I should note, also, that for those Americans who don't want to drop $40+US on the import OST for DracX Chronicles, Amazon.com MP3 has it available for download for $9.99, which seemed a bargain to me, although I'm sure I could have found it via other more furtive means.

Maou
1670th Post

"Re(5):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Thu 4 Jun 10:33post reply

Actually, I think that John Morris preemptively slew this news before it could spread all over the Transylvania countryside---it's no longer posted on Joystiq, and I saw somewhere that it was a mistake and that they were referring to Assassin's Creed Bloodlines...which would make sense, since Joystiq is a bunch of screw-ups. Still, I was about to shout: "Vampire Killer remake?! It hasn't been 100 years since its last coming...some foul cultists must have resurrected it early."

karasu99
153th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Thu 4 Jun 12:11post reply

quote:
Actually, I think that John Morris preemptively slew this news before it could spread all over the Transylvania countryside---it's no longer posted on Joystiq, and I saw somewhere that it was a mistake and that they were referring to Assassin's Creed Bloodlines...which would make sense, since Joystiq is a bunch of screw-ups. Still, I was about to shout: "Vampire Killer remake?! It hasn't been 100 years since its last coming...some foul cultists must have resurrected it early."

Maou
1672th Post

"Re(7):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Thu 4 Jun 12:17post reply

Yeah, I'd really like to be wrong about them being wrong on this, too. Vampire Killer would definitely be the next logical entry in the Expensive/Rare But Awesome line after X68000 and Dracula X. Fittingly, I just played through the other day to the Tower of Pisa level I was raving about, and it's still outstanding.

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(7):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Sat 6 Jun 05:12post reply

quote:

I want to punch someone in the face. That was would have been the biggest news of E3 for me.

Maou
1676th Post

"Re(8):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Sat 6 Jun 05:41post reply

Joystiq continues to blow it for the team, as per normal. I want so much to be wrong about them not being wrong for once. Oh well, let's just use what Maese so kindly gave us earlier to groan.

karasu99
154th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Dracula XX burns at the stake" , posted Sat 6 Jun 06:44post reply

quote:

I want to punch someone in the face. That was would have been the biggest news of E3 for me.

Yeah... I'm still somewhat apoplectic after the rescinding of the news. Fortunately there is enough good news otherwise to make me smile a little. Like Sin and Punishment 2-- I was ready to claim surprise, but then Treasure has been resurrecting a ton of their old properties in recent years. I wish they would get on with bringing back Silhouette Mirage while they're at it.

IkariDC
770th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):Ode to CV 4" , posted Thu 11 Jun 02:50post reply

quote:

This little jingle when you lose a life has become sort of a meme for me and some friends.

Hey, I was the one that started it! But I was mimicking the jingle from the original Castlevania game. I just recorded and uploaded it because I was unable to find it on youtube. That stage is a pain in the ass!

Gojira
2535th Post

"King of Fighters Online trailer" , posted Tue 16 Jun 06:53post reply

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-the-king-of/51538

lol @ ending

shipoopi

Ishmael
3502th Post

"Re(1):King of Fighters Online trailer" , posted Wed 17 Jun 03:04post reply

quote:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-the-king-of/51538

lol @ ending

So I can punch clowns and occasionally switch genders by turning myself into an idol singer? It's everything I've always wanted in one game!

Spoon
1776th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Vanguard Princess" , posted Wed 1 Jul 06:54post reply

On one hand, it's yet another doujin fighting game made via Fighter Maker. On the other hand, it shows more polish than almost any other game I've seen made with Fighter Maker, and it's free, and it was just released like today.

http://suge9.blog58.fc2.com/

The girl named Lilith allows you to pretend that Steve Austin was a pretty little girl while you do stunners on people.