SS Anthology - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2405 Views )

Ishmael
3439th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"SS Anthology" , posted Thu 26 Mar 23:47post reply

Yesterday I received word that my copy of the US release of the Samurai Shodown Anthology is being shipped. The idea that I could finally have the SS games together in a domestic release is so odd it borders on surreal. Has anybody managed to try this often promised, finally delivered game? If so, any impressions?

Replies:

karasu99
103th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):SS Anthology" , posted Fri 27 Mar 03:33post reply

quote:
Yesterday I received word that my copy of the US release of the Samurai Shodown Anthology is being shipped. The idea that I could finally have the SS games together in a domestic release is so odd it borders on surreal. Has anybody managed to try this often promised, finally delivered game? If so, any impressions?

I jumped the gun and bought the Japan version a few months back, and it's great. I'm curious to hear what the differences are between it and the US version, if any.

Iron D
3187th Post

"Re(2):SS Anthology" , posted Fri 27 Mar 06:22post reply

I have already heard that the PSP version is busted, with the same damn problems that every SNK compilation on PSP has: horrible load times, control issues and sound issues.

Mind you, this was not from having played it. I got this from the Gfaqs forum from people who have played the import version.

Er.....

Toxico
4720th Post

"Re(3):SS Anthology" , posted Fri 27 Mar 09:49post reply

quote:
I have already heard that the PSP version is busted, with the same damn problems that every SNK compilation on PSP has: horrible load times, control issues and sound issues.

I never truly understood this, but I have always wondered : Will the US version add the Samu supi 0 supe version within the collection? And will offer the possibility of arrange soundtracks?

Depending on the answer to those questions, entire civilizations will be lost in horrible catastrophes.

obscene voodoo dance teleport

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 06/03/09 (99 personajes) <- se agregó a Nameless

Freeter
4449th Post

"Re(4):SS Anthology" , posted Fri 27 Mar 14:42post reply

quote:
Will the US version add the Samu supi 0 supe version within the collection?

Unless Obama mandates it to be so, I doubt it.

karasu99
104th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):SS Anthology" , posted Sat 28 Mar 00:47post reply

quote:

I never truly understood this, but I have always wondered : Will the US version add the Samu supi 0 supe version within the collection? And will offer the possibility of arrange soundtracks?

Depending on the answer to those questions, entire civilizations will be lost in horrible catastrophes.

obscene voodoo dance teleport

Allegedly it's not included, so we can stand down from the brink of disaster.

So, is there any compelling reason why it wasn't added? I guess the same question could be asked about SamuSupi RPG as well, but I honestly haven't wondered why IT was not included. Still, it seems an odd omission.

I should perhaps look at purchasing a stand-alone copy of Special, since it's the only game in the series that I've never played.

Juan
4502th Post

"Re(5):SS Anthology" , posted Sat 28 Mar 02:57:post reply

quote:
I guess the same question could be asked about SamuSupi RPG as well, but I honestly haven't wondered why IT was not included. Still, it seems an odd omission.

Most likely because they were stupid and lost the source codes (like the neogeo 64 samurai games). Or probably aren't willing to to translate a bunch of text for a compilation that won't sell enough to justify it.

[this message was edited by Juan on Sat 28 Mar 02:58]

Toxico
4721th Post

"Re(6):SS Anthology" , posted Sat 28 Mar 03:10post reply

quote:

Most likely because they were stupid and lost the source codes (like the neogeo 64 samurai games). Or probably aren't willing to to translate a bunch of text for a compilation that won't sell enough to justify it.

But there it wasn't an almost completed english patch on the works since long ago? Too bad they seemed to be using the PSX version of the game, that was a much more plainer & simpler version than the huge ass loading time of the NGCD version.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Abster
354th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):SS Anthology" , posted Sat 28 Mar 14:08post reply

quote:

But there it wasn't an almost completed english patch on the works since long ago? Too bad they seemed to be using the PSX version of the game, that was a much more plainer & simpler version than the huge ass loading time of the NGCD version.

Deuce is still working on the Samurai Spirits RPG translation project, based off of the NGCD version. I don't have any timetable available for any potential release, but you can see the latest regarding it in this post.

SS0/SS5 Special was initially planned to be part of the compilation but was yanked during development. It's entirely my guess, but I think it's because SS5 Special had violence and fatalities that pushed it into M rated material, and they wanted to keep the whole thing T rated. Remember what the Nevada-tan incident did to the SS series?

Toxico
4722th Post

"Re(8):SS Anthology" , posted Sat 28 Mar 14:25post reply

quote:

SS0/SS5 Special was initially planned to be part of the compilation but was yanked during development. It's entirely my guess, but I think it's because SS5 Special had violence and fatalities

Well, that's true for the japanese, but since long I have read somewhere that there it was a pretty good chance of them adding the zero special game within the compilation (as they added 94 and 98 to orochi hen). However I have only read about it in dubious news sites, I have never been certain on such fact.

For what I figured, that original AES version of zero special wasn't added to the compilation due to the fact that selecting censorship produced many in game bugs; not because it couldn't been censored (in the end, it's the same deal; since they won't add the 100% uncensored game to it). I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think that in the jp compilation the games are set to "censorship 2" from the 3 (or was it 4?) possible censorship levels available by bios (so, you miss certain juicy parts from the games).

On a side note, Toxic tan has made much worse, worse things than Nevada tan, so I fail to see the problem with that

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

Badoor
64th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):SS Anthology" , posted Sat 28 Mar 14:41post reply

I probably said the same thing on the Samurai Spirits Rokuban Shoubu topic a while back. Regardless, I think they don't want to release SS0/5 Special on this collection or maybe ever because of it being the final Neo Geo game ever released. Though after saying this I do feel kinda stupid to think such romantic ideologies would ever be expected from SNKP.

Nekros
171th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Sun 29 Mar 22:18post reply

Does this collection have graphic filters and some audio improvement on the original NeoGeo titles?

And does it support the Classic Controller? Metal Slug Anthology was a very poor work in this sense: it only works with the GC pad and ONLY with the analog stick (yes, no d-pad!).

Ishmael
3443th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Wed 1 Apr 23:49post reply

Amazingly, my copy arrived yesterday. In spite of all the delays and other problems that were piled on this collection it somehow managed to stagger across the finish line and get published. The scars from that ordeal are obvious even in the brief time I've spent with the game. I particularly like how no attempt was made to integrate SSVI into the US release. Instead it exists as a seperate entity that can only be accessed when you exit out of the rest of the game. For some reason I find that juryrigged approach to dealing with a small production budget charming and perfectly in keeping with SS's legacy. The collection also appears to have a mesmerizing amount of Engrish so SS's other major contribution to the videogame industry is also well represented.

Because I own a title that collects some of the best SS games I, naturally, am now curious about one of the worst. Has there been anything new about SS Sen recently? Was that game such a failure that SNKP isn't even going to bother with a console release?

karasu99
107th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Thu 2 Apr 03:25post reply

quote:
Instead it exists as a seperate entity that can only be accessed when you exit out of the rest of the game.

This is the same in the Japan version, so it's not specific to the US budgetless release. I think it's probably the same issue at work as with the ADK Tamashii/World Heroes Gorgeous/etc practice mode situation, where the version included is the console version, not the arcade version, and as such it's handled separately from the rest.

Plus it's a title that was recently released as an individual title, so it's possible there's some compression/decompression going on that excludes it from the standard menu.

I'd say it's still pretty impressive that these latter day SNKP titles are getting translated at all, given SCEA's attempts over the last near-decade to convince the US consumer that they don't really want any of those quaint old 2D games. Then again, maybe 2D fighters are now 'retro' enough to be fashionable again in the US.

Ishmael
3444th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Fri 3 Apr 01:49post reply

quote:
Does this collection have graphic filters and some audio improvement on the original NeoGeo titles?

I'm not certain what all was included with the NeoGeo titles so I'm afraid I'm not the best person to answer your question. I'm not even sure I know what's going on with the PS2 collection. There isn't any graphics filter listed in the options but SS1-5 look like they have been filtered while 6 doesn't. The closet thing I could find to a graphics option is that there's an option to move the center of the screen around if that's the sort of thing you enjoy doing but that's not quite the same thing.

quote:
This is the same in the Japan version, so it's not specific to the US budgetless release. I think it's probably the same issue at work as with the ADK Tamashii/World Heroes Gorgeous/etc practice mode situation, where the version included is the console version, not the arcade version, and as such it's handled separately from the rest.

Ah, that makes sense. When so many of SNKP's actions are inscrutable it's surprising to come across something that perfectly logical.

kofoguz
696th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Fri 3 Apr 10:39post reply

quote:
... I, naturally, am now curious about one of the worst. Has there been anything new about SS Sen recently? Was that game such a failure that SNKP isn't even going to bother with a console release?

I am wondering the same thing for a while..

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Ishmael
3461th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Wed 22 Apr 23:53post reply

quote:
... I, naturally, am now curious about one of the worst. Has there been anything new about SS Sen recently? Was that game such a failure that SNKP isn't even going to bother with a console release?

Speak of the devil, SS Sen is coming to the 360. The roster of Japanese games that eventually shuffle off to the 360 is fascinating.

Phoenix
909th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Thu 23 Apr 04:11post reply

quote:

Speak of the devil, SS Sen is coming to the 360. The roster of Japanese games that eventually shuffle off to the 360 is fascinating.

Wait a minute...does that list actually confirm Mark of the Wolves & KOF 2002 UM? I thought they were only rumors but now!!! SWEET.

Nekros
180th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Thu 23 Apr 06:01post reply

quote:

Wait a minute...does that list actually confirm Mark of the Wolves & KOF 2002 UM? I thought they were only rumors but now!!! SWEET.

No,no, they're ufficially confirmed.
SS Sen, KOF 98 and 02 UM, Garou and the new KOF Skystage are on their way to Xbox Live.
ROAR!

crazymike
1498th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Thu 23 Apr 10:31post reply

quote:

I'd say it's still pretty impressive that these latter day SNKP titles are getting translated at all, given SCEA's attempts over the last near-decade to convince the US consumer that they don't really want any of those quaint old 2D games. Then again, maybe 2D fighters are now 'retro' enough to be fashionable again in the US.

I've gone out and bought just about every SNK title released stateside for the PS2 except maybe 1 or 2 games. But I don't know what it says about my demographic, I rarely play or buy new games anymore unless it has an attachment to the old days (Street Fighter 4) or some niche game like Dynasty Warriors: Gundam because i'm a huge Gundam fan. Am I just picky or do I represent a generation of gamers cynical about modern games with all the cutscenes and deep learning curves? I spend more money on Xbox Live re-release titles than new games.

Ishmael
3463th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Sat 25 Apr 03:01post reply

quote:
I've gone out and bought just about every SNK title released stateside for the PS2 except maybe 1 or 2 games. But I don't know what it says about my demographic, I rarely play or buy new games anymore unless it has an attachment to the old days (Street Fighter 4) or some niche game like Dynasty Warriors: Gundam because i'm a huge Gundam fan. Am I just picky or do I represent a generation of gamers cynical about modern games with all the cutscenes and deep learning curves? I spend more money on Xbox Live re-release titles than new games.

Funny that you should mention learning curves when it comes to older and newer games. When going back to older games I often find that the AI can be so incredibly punishing that I find there's often only one set of actions I can take that don't result in instant death. Although the controls themselves may be simple the patience and memorization needed to get through some games from yesteryear make them harder to learn than many new games. This is particularly true of a number of old fighters where playing against the CPU doesn't teach me how to get better at the game. Far from it, actually. It instead teaches me to ruthlessly exploit any cracks in the psychic CPU's defenses in order to advance to the next round. There are times when I have wondered how I put up with this sort of thing back in the arcades.

Toxico
4727th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Sun 26 Apr 09:02post reply

quote:
There are times when I have wondered how I put up with this sort of thing back in the arcades.

It's diversity, now days games are much softer on the player, making him fell all cozy, warm and protected. You have plenty of soft options to escape something dislike able... Even with genres it was different, back in the old day there where genres where if you didn't play one or two games; you couldn't have access to any other game of that type at all. So it was either "eat it or shut it", there it was no "change it".

I miss the good old days, where I had to bomb, bash, burn, push, pull, play music and throw arrows to every block and corner of the map in the good old Zelda 1. Or getting lost in Tropical Island, or lacking that pass code that came with the manual.

.... Then again, I still have nightmares where I'm trapped in the world of the first Metroid game, with no possession at all; absolutely no clue of what to do nor where to go; farming mazes where every room is 80% alike the previous one while hungry beast dive quickly trying to violently feast on my brains. Those where the times, that's the feeling that I want on every game.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・

ktallguy
1095th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(7):Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Mon 27 Apr 11:40post reply

quote:
.... Then again, I still have nightmares where I'm trapped in the world of the first Metroid game, with no possession at all; absolutely no clue of what to do nor where to go; farming mazes where every room is 80% alike the previous one while hungry beast dive quickly trying to violently feast on my brains. Those where the times, that's the feeling that I want on every game.

You need to play Demons Souls.
I do miss that danger and thrill of exploration and learning. Fewer and fewer games give me that now. But I think there is a good balance you can create if you really control the experience well from the beginning.

Play to win.

Megane
454th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Mon 27 Apr 13:29post reply

quote:

It instead teaches me to ruthlessly exploit any cracks in the psychic CPU's defenses in order to advance to the next round. There are times when I have wondered how I put up with this sort of thing back in the arcades.

Maybe it's a mental exercise that was highly similar to platform boss battles back when they were the rage: Memorize the pattern, devise a series of actions that will ensure victory based on pattern, execute flawlessly, ????, profit.

Ishmael
3466th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):SS Anthology" , posted Tue 28 Apr 04:43post reply

quote:
Maybe it's a mental exercise that was highly similar to platform boss battles back when they were the rage: Memorize the pattern, devise a series of actions that will ensure victory based on pattern, execute flawlessly, ????, profit.

True, a lot of fighting games from that time period were still stuck in the Yie Ar Kung Fu style of game programming where it was, like you said, a series of boss fights instead of any attempt to simulate a human opponent.