Random Thread: Zombie Edition - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (4857 Views )

Ishmael
3428th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Fri 13 Mar 03:11post reply

It seems RE5 is out. Has anyone tried it? Any impressions?

Speaking of things that continue to move long after death, I recently became aware that there have been at least three new Sonic games released in the past six months alone. I do not know if these are good games or if they are yet more titles where poor Sonic gets grafted onto yet another unwieldly gimmick. All I know is that seems like an excessive number of games in such a short period of time for one franchise.

Replies:

Nekros
168th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Fri 13 Mar 03:51post reply

quote:

I played the demo when came out on Japanese marketplace. It was nice but didn't like it so much. It feels like it's not a Resident Evil game, is more a gaijin modern shooter wannabe.
Not exploration, nor puzzles, nor "horror" atmosphere, only shooting and running. Boring.

karasu99
96th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Fri 13 Mar 05:19post reply

quote:
It feels like it's not a Resident Evil game, is more a gaijin modern shooter wannabe.
Not exploration, nor puzzles, nor "horror" atmosphere, only shooting and running. Boring.

Guwah. I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately this is the direction the game has been moving in for some time. I want to be loyal to the franchise, though, in case one of them ends up being good like they used to be eventually somewhere down the line.

It's too bad we have to rely on other series to get a true horror game, like Silent Hill, but the unique B-movie feel (not too scary, but just scary enough) of the early games was truly great.

whitesword
1637th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Fri 13 Mar 12:59post reply

quote:

Super RE4 Turbo is excellent so far and has a very nice variety of environments, plus a healthy dose of secrets and hidden fun stuff, and I'm only halfway through! Also, the stun rod is , I don't even bother with a handgun anymore (I let Sheva keep all of its ammo), I just run around and electrocute everything.

My only complaints right now are the inability move stuff around in your inventory unless you go back to the intermission menu or juggle them around with Sheva, and the very limited control you have over Sheva's less than stellar AI.

quote:

I played the demo when came out on Japanese marketplace. It was nice but didn't like it so much. It feels like it's not a Resident Evil game, is more a gaijin modern shooter wannabe.

Please stop talking forever.

Hagen de Merak
1003th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Fri 13 Mar 13:30post reply

quote:

Super RE4 Turbo is excellent so far and has a very nice variety of environments, plus a healthy dose of secrets and hidden fun stuff, and I'm only halfway through! Also, the stun rod is , I don't even bother with a handgun anymore (I let Sheva keep all of its ammo), I just run around and electrocute everything.

My only complaints right now are the inability move stuff around in your inventory unless you go back to the intermission menu or juggle them around with Sheva, and the very limited control you have over Sheva's less than stellar AI.

Please stop talking forever.

hey whitesword, do you use this same name on youtube? lol

whitesword
1638th Post

"Re(3):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Fri 13 Mar 14:10post reply

quote:

no

Zepy
1530th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Fri 13 Mar 15:53post reply

Can you do co-op play through the entire game in RE5? I've only tried the demo and it's pretty fun, but my free time has been completely taken by 7th Dragon so I haven't thought of getting RE5 yet.

karasu99
98th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Fri 13 Mar 22:24post reply

quote:
completely taken by 7th Dragon

So then I'm guessing this is good? I looks beautiful, at least.

Iron D
3185th Post

"Re(1):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Fri 13 Mar 23:26post reply

quote:

Speaking of things that continue to move long after death, I recently became aware that there have been at least three new Sonic games released in the past six months alone. I do not know if these are good games or if they are yet more titles where poor Sonic gets grafted onto yet another unwieldly gimmick. All I know is that seems like an excessive number of games in such a short period of time for one franchise.

Let's see...the three games are Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Sonic: Dark Brotherhood and Sonic and the Black Knight?

I've heard very mixed things about Unleashed (mostly bad, even though I played a demo of the first stage and I thought it was fun), mixed things about Dark Brotherhood (although in this case it seems more good than bad...in fact I have a friend who says it's one of the funnest games he's ever played), and I've heard nothing but bad things about Black Knight (which is a shame since Secret Rings was such a great game).

Er.....

Zepy
1531th Post

"Re(5):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Sat 14 Mar 01:48post reply

quote:
7th Dragon

So then I'm guessing this is good? I looks beautiful, at least.

Hmm I personally enjoy it a lot but it's not a game that would be equally enjoyed by everyone I think.

The game is basically a classic RPG built around the sekaijyu system, so it has a proper storyline with towns, dungeons, and NPCs and all that, and you get all the character creation stuff from sekaijyu, but none of your characters will ever talk.

Good points:
- Old style RPG
- Lots of great NPCs, and with dialogue that changes as the story progresses
- Great balance in the battle system

Bad points:
- Takes a lot of time...? I'm not sure exactly why, but I'm in the 2nd half now and it feels like everything takes too much time to do
- Encounter rate is really high
- A large portion of the game is covered with damage tiles that you have to walk through
- Only one save game

Ishmael
3431th Post

"Re(2):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Sat 14 Mar 02:40post reply

quote:
Let's see...the three games are Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Sonic: Dark Brotherhood and Sonic and the Black Knight?

I've heard very mixed things about Unleashed (mostly bad, even though I played a demo of the first stage and I thought it was fun), mixed things about Dark Brotherhood (although in this case it seems more good than bad...in fact I have a friend who says it's one of the funnest games he's ever played), and I've heard nothing but bad things about Black Knight (which is a shame since Secret Rings was such a great game).

At least the DS game has its own identity and purpose. The other two look like they fall into the trap of having yet another gameplay mechanic that dilutes instead of enhancing what it is that makes Sonic games work. It makes the Sonic games a lot more clunky and interchangeable than I'm sure Sega wants them to be. For example, I'm not a big Sonic fan but up until a few days ago I honestly thought that Unleashed and Black Knight were the same game.

Hagen de Merak
1004th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Sat 14 Mar 03:19post reply

quote:

no

Freeter
4443th Post

"Re(2):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Sat 14 Mar 03:38post reply

quote:

I've heard very mixed things about Unleashed (mostly bad, even though I played a demo of the first stage and I thought it was fun)

Don't let the demo fool you. The Werehog stages are terrible and even some of Sonic's stages are frustrating.

Stick to the portables if you need your Sonic fix.

Nekros
169th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Sat 14 Mar 04:22post reply

quote:

I've heard very mixed things about Unleashed (mostly bad, even though I played a demo of the first stage and I thought it was fun)

Don't let the demo fool you. The Werehog stages are terrible and even some of Sonic's stages are frustrating.

Sonic is dead, face it.

whitesword: RE5 is anymore RE, it borrow a lot of things from western shooters and lacks the structure of the first episodes (are there any areas to explore like the manor and the police station? I guess not). RE5 is RE4 with a more intense shooting action: it isn't a bad game per se, but doesn't have the feeling of the series.
So be it: if you like shooters AND RE, you'll find RE5 a very good game.

Iron D
3186th Post

"Re(3):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Sat 14 Mar 09:17post reply

quote:

That's actually what I've been doing for the most part (that and actually going back and playing the 16 bit Sonics). That's a damn shame, too.

As a Sonic fan, I keep on hoping that SOMEONE out there that really gets Sonic will make another good Sonic game. Someone who realizes that what made the old school Sonic's great was level design, exploration and plenty of secrets to be found.

This "its all about speed" mindset that the people behind the more recent Sonic games seem to be going off of is just bullshit, and I don't know how anyone who actually played through even one of the 16-bit Sonics could think that speed and loop-de-loops were all that the Sonic games have going for them.

Er.....

nobinobita
490th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Sat 14 Mar 11:12post reply

quote:

This "its all about speed" mindset that the people behind the more recent Sonic games seem to be going off of is just bullshit, and I don't know how anyone who actually played through even one of the 16-bit Sonics could think that speed and loop-de-loops were all that the Sonic games have going for them.

I'm glad to hear such sentiments. For me Sonic has always been about exploring interesting places punctuated by bouts of blinding speed. There needs to be a balance.

I've only played the demo of Sonic Unleashed, and while it falls into the blinding speed category, it was still fun. It also seriously has the most realistic lighting I've ever seen in a game. I haven't tried the full game, but the kids that I know that have it seem to love it, while most adult Sonic fans seem to hate it.

This is actually the first time I've seen an online discussion of Sonic games without anyone making wild accusations of "raeping my childhood".

I don't mind Sonic doing weird things in games. I don't mind the wherehog mode. He already turns into a Super Saiyan, why not turn into a whereape too? There's also a level that looks like Dragon Way in there... Hmmm actually I would like to give the game a try.

I was actually very excited for the Sonic and the Black Knight game as well. When I was a kid, I used to draw Sonic wearing platemail fighting other knights using a sword, so it was nice to see that in game form. I'm sure most kids dreamed of Sonic doing different cool things like that. I just hope the game turns out to be good.

nobinobita
492th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Sat 14 Mar 12:21:post reply

I don't normally enjoy FPS style games, but I'm having alot of fun with Resident Evil V. Here's what I like about it:

1) I actually like the controls. Try out control setting A. You won't be able to strafe, but you will be able to run around and aim quicker. Control setting A feels more like a console action game than a PC shooter shoe-horned into a controller.

2) The animation is really damn good. This is another reason I like the controls. There's a good sense of weight to every action, every punch, kick, bite and gunshot has impact. It's very immersive. I don't get this same feeling from other shooters because they're usually weightless. They feel like I'm playing darts on a slip and slide.

3) I enjoy the stop and shoot dynamics. I do kind of wish I could run and knife things, but I don't mind steadying myself to shoot. It feels more realistic. I like that it imparts the sensibility that cool heads prevail. The game gives you moments to plan ahead ie: "I will shoot the boss in the head with the rifle then run up and melee him, please cover me and shoot him again when he recovers. We will reconvene at this spot up ahead, I'll cover the rear, you stay focused on the boss."

4) I enjoy being up close to enemies and being able to see them. I can't enjoy shooters where you're firing at tiny people from far away. I especially hate getting shot by tiny soldiers that I can barely see. I don't like games where the whole point is not to be seen. Why make cool looking designs when everyone is just hiding all the time anyway?

Anyway, I really really like the dynamic of strategically shooting limbs, then meleeing up close. It's just more fun than sniping people.

5) The game is really really really ridiculously good looking.

All the people are very distinct and interesting looking. Eveything feels authentic. I don't just mean it has impressive technology with lots of particle effects and light blooms and normal mapping, I mean the actual decision making on display, the actual artistry.

Chris kind of looks a little more roided up and douchey than I'd like (though I guess it makes sense... I mean, I'd probably work out like crazy and take whatever supplements I could if I knew I'd be heading into a war zone), but Sheeva is just stunning. She's really beautiful because she has this great, lithe, athletic look to her that I haven't really seen in a game before. She doesn't feel cheap or pandering at all, she looks like an actual, beautiful, healthy, unique woman.

And I can't wait to see more monsters. Capcom never disappoints with the monster designs.

Very few games are as visually thoughtful and rewarding as the good Capcom titles. This makes for a much more immersive experience.

That's how I feel about REV thus far. I went into the game optimistic and it's been a blast so far.

Also, i initially thought the title of this thread was "Random Thread: Zombie Eating" haha

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 14 Mar 12:23]

Gojira
2511th Post

"Re(5):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Sun 15 Mar 02:42post reply

I have mixed feelings about RE5. Yeah it looks nice, the game is even fun. But it's no RE game. Even less of one than RE4. At least RE4 tried to retain some element of horror; RE5 just abandons it completely, in both gameplay and story. I think I miss Mikami.

shipoopi

sfried
341th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Sun 15 Mar 07:48post reply

quote:
I think I miss Mikami.
Speaking about Mikami, I think Platinum Games deserve some love too.

Freeter
4444th Post

"Re(7):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Sun 15 Mar 11:36post reply

Does RE5 require installation on 360 also? I thought MGS4 was big, but this sucker needs FIVE gigs to install...better be worth it.

Pollyanna
2659th Post

"Re(5):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Sun 15 Mar 19:54post reply

I agree with pretty much everything Nobita said, although I also think the game is lacking "the Biohazard feel". Still, I buried the series a long time ago, and I'm not disappointed to see it continue its life after death in a violent, thoughtless kind of way.

Keep in mind that I haven't finished the game yet, though...my opinion may sour by the end. But for right now, I'm having so much fun it's almost sick and even if the game was awful, it's so beautiful that I'd gladly suffer through mediocre gameplay just to see all the sights.

quote:

Chris kind of looks a little more roided up and douchey than I'd like (though I guess it makes sense... I mean, I'd probably work out like crazy and take whatever supplements I could if I knew I'd be heading into a war zone), but Sheeva is just stunning.

I always considered Chris a meathead ("Ladies first...go first, Jill!" and "There are only useless books") so the look fits well enough for me. I like that he has big ears.

I was especially impressed with Josh's render/animations as well. His voice, facial animations and design all come together very convincingly. Like...he felt "real".

Actually, the facial expressions are just awesome on the whole. I'm pleased to see subtlety like that in a "big monsters big explosions" game. I wasn't sure if anything would ever match or top Lost Odyssey.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

karasu99
101th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Edition" , posted Tue 17 Mar 02:48post reply

Hey, new Cho Aniki come out this week for PSP.

I'd get it, but Cho Aniki is almost always a little disappointing to me, gameplay-wise. Plus, it looks to clock in at around US$70, which is a lot for a game I'll probably only play a few times.

Plus, new Brandish, also for PSP! I love the 1990-style art, but strangely enough, it reminds me of 1990-style American box art. Odd. I may have to pick this one up.

Ishmael
3434th Post

"Re(7):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Edition" , posted Tue 17 Mar 22:57post reply

So I finally picked up RE5. For me the RE games have always been about elements shamelessly stolen from other sources, a tin ear for dialogue, and a blissful cluelessness about how tacky the whole thing is. All those elements are front and center in RE5 so it feels like a direct continuation of the series to me.

The addition of Sheva, however, makes for a nice change of pace. Too often when you have a secondary character they end up being a total load, with you having to baby-sit someone who seems to have no sense of self-preservation. Sheva, however, seems like an active partner and is out actively engaging enemies while I'm still bumbling around with the controls. She's a bit too trigger happy for my tastes but it's still nice to have someone watching my back while I'm dealing with the latest crop of pharmacutical horrors.

I also like that Chris has a designated shouting button. Bellowing "Come on!" directly into Sheva's ear when nothing is happening will never get old.

In unrelated news, Udon is dumping the much malinged Rival Schools comic online.

sfried
342th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Random Thread: Decapitation Edition" , posted Wed 18 Mar 08:06post reply

For those in the UK: Does anybody have the MadWorld soundtrack yet?

Spoon
1741th Post

"Re(8):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Edition" , posted Wed 18 Mar 09:15post reply

quote:
So I finally picked up RE5. For me the RE games have always been about elements shamelessly stolen from other sources, a tin ear for dialogue, and a blissful cluelessness about how tacky the whole thing is. All those elements are front and center in RE5 so it feels like a direct continuation of the series to me.

The addition of Sheva, however, makes for a nice change of pace. Too often when you have a secondary character they end up being a total load, with you having to baby-sit someone who seems to have no sense of self-preservation. Sheva, however, seems like an active partner and is out actively engaging enemies while I'm still bumbling around with the controls. She's a bit too trigger happy for my tastes but it's still nice to have someone watching my back while I'm dealing with the latest crop of pharmacutical horrors.

I also like that Chris has a designated shouting button. Bellowing "Come on!" directly into Sheva's ear when nothing is happening will never get old.

In unrelated news, Udon is dumping the much malinged Rival Schools comic online.

I have to say that one of my favourite things about RE4 was how what's-his-face with the luger is programmed to crouch when you are pointing a gun in his direction. Rather than X-ing out the crosshair and not letting you shoot or otherwise chiding you, he does what we always wanted our damn bot helpers to do: get the hell out of the way.

sfried
344th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(9):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Edition" , posted Wed 18 Mar 12:18:post reply

quote:
I have to say that one of my favourite things about RE4 was how what's-his-face with the luger is programmed to crouch when you are pointing a gun in his direction. Rather than X-ing out the crosshair and not letting you shoot or otherwise chiding you, he does what we always wanted our damn bot helpers to do: get the hell out of the way.

Luis? In fact, I'd say Ashley was pretty cleaverly programmed too for someone you should be escorting.

One thing I don't understand with RE5 is why they added strafing and items went back to being permanently discarded as opposed to just being dropped.

[this message was edited by sfried on Wed 18 Mar 12:19]

Maou
1613th Post

"Re(8):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Edition" , posted Wed 18 Mar 13:08post reply

quote:

Wh, why isn't the comic like the covers? The interior drawings are so bizarre and flat (and I guess pretty bad) that they border on being artsy and abstract, though I doubt that's what they were going for. Even at their best, Udon doesn't really do it for me, but this seems different from what little I saw online of the Street Fighter comics they did. Odd!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Gojira
2512th Post

"Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Edition" , posted Wed 18 Mar 19:55post reply

quote:

One thing I don't understand with RE5 is why they added strafing and items went back to being permanently discarded as opposed to just being dropped.

Yes, there was really no point in the strafing they added. At best it allows you to hide behind walls more efficiently but then they went and added cover spots so I have no idea.

As for losing dropped items, I think I know why they did that. If you smash open a barrel and see something you don't want to pick up, as soon as you walk away your partner AI will almost always pick it up. So if you dropped an item and walked away, your partner probably would have picked it up, and that would have been frustrating.

shipoopi

Ikari Loona
243th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Edition" , posted Wed 18 Mar 20:51post reply

quote:

Wh, why isn't the comic like the covers? The interior drawings are so bizarre and flat (and I guess pretty bad) that they border on being artsy and abstract, though I doubt that's what they were going for. Even at their best, Udon doesn't really do it for me, but this seems different from what little I saw online of the Street Fighter comics they did. Odd!

Rey was an unfortunate addition to Udon's artist stable - his mini extra stories in the SF issues were bad enough, but giving him a whole series was franchise suicide. I figure they're just dumping the rest of what he did on the website so at least the work that got done gets some use, I doubt even RS fans would be willing to pay for more stuff handled like that.

The guy once stated in the SNK-Capcom forums he'd like to handle SNK stuff if Udon ever got a hold of that. Perish the thought!...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Ishmael
3435th Post

"Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Edition" , posted Fri 20 Mar 22:10post reply

Blazblue is confirmed for a June release in Japan.

Somebody claims that TvC might make it out of Japan at some point in the far off future. While I have my doubts it's fun to pretend, isn't it?

Good news for Sega: two of the Yakuza games made it onto the sales charts. Bad news for Sega: Ryu ga Gotoku 2, a game that came out three years ago, sold more copies than the debut of the latest Sonic game. If Sega ever does another crossover with Nintendo Mario is going to be facing off against Kazuma.

Freeter
4447th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Editi" , posted Fri 20 Mar 22:42post reply

quote:

Somebody claims that TvC might make it out of Japan at some point in the far off future. While I have my doubts it's fun to pretend, isn't it?

Still waiting on a non-Wii version.

quote:
Bad news for Sega: Ryu ga Gotoku 2, a game that came out three years ago, sold more copies than the debut of the latest Sonic game.

Based on how the latest Sonic games haven't been up to par, I'd say that's good news.

sfried
345th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Editi" , posted Sat 21 Mar 01:59:post reply

quote:
Still waiting on a non-Wii version.
Good luck on that one... Besides, what do you have against it being on Wii? There's always the Twilight hack...

What happened to that Tatsunoko crossover anime they were working on again?

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 21 Mar 02:08]

Freeter
4448th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Editi" , posted Sat 21 Mar 04:09post reply

quote:
what do you have against it being on Wii?

Don't want to have to buy another system just for one game.

And why would TvC not get ported to other systems? Did Nintendo pay exclusivity rights for it?

sfried
346th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Editi" , posted Sat 21 Mar 05:02:post reply

quote:

One game? Where have you been?

[this message was edited by sfried on Sat 21 Mar 05:07]

Pollyanna
2661th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Editi" , posted Sat 21 Mar 07:00post reply

quote:
One game? Where have you been?

Thank you for bringing up Fragile. I went through the game a while back, but never had an excuse to mention it. Have you played it? Did you enjoy it?

I need to get around to Mad World, but Biohazard has been eating up my time.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
493th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Editi" , posted Sat 21 Mar 09:06post reply

wow, Fragile looks great! I love the mood of it. I've been letting that music on that site loop for the last 2 hours while I work. It's amazingly unobtrusive and calming.

MadWorld is great. I highly recommend it to anyone. It's really fun, intentionally funny and the art style is really substantial. It's like a Takeshi Koike animation in 3d. It's the most fun I've had with a game in years.

Zepy
1532th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Editi" , posted Sat 21 Mar 12:39post reply

I had mixed feelings about Fragile, I kinda wish it was on the ps3 or the 360 so it could have some totally awesome scenery since the game was about exploring ruins.

I also wish they just took out the battle system altogether, the battle system was pretty crappy and the game could probably have worked better if they tried to make a pure adventure game.

I loved that personal frame a lot :(

Pollyanna
2662th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Editi" , posted Sat 21 Mar 13:38post reply

quote:

I loved that personal frame a lot :(

Oh God, PF! I loved her so much! Her voice actress really did an amazing job. I thought a lot of her dialogue was cleverly written, too. Actually, there was a lot of good writing in there. I cried so many times!

But yeah, the battles were a complete waste of time. Still, not as much of a waste as the climbing ladders climbing ladders climbing ladders at the dam.

It being on Wii didn't bother me so much because it still looked good. What did bug me was that they had some puzzles that utilized the wiimote, then seemed to give that up completely. Less focus on combat and more focus on that sort of thing might have done good for the game.

I also felt like the little side stories could have been a bit more relevant and the conclusion could've been a lot stronger.

I don't want to completely fill this with spoiler text, but I'll say I really liked the scene towards the end with the shopkeeper. I enjoyed his performance a lot as well.

Ah, you've seen the "Uragile" video, right? That nearly killed me. I think it was OUT to kill you.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Zepy
1533th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Editi" , posted Sun 22 Mar 00:42post reply

quote:
conclusion

Oh yeah, there's a comic out now that continues after the game's ending, I haven't actually read it yet so I can't give any impressions about it though. Actually I've completely forgotten about the existence of the comic till you mentioned the conclusion.

Also that Uragile is insane.

Burning Ranger
1599th Post

"Re(1):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Mon 23 Mar 11:34post reply

quote:

Back to the RE discussion: I played and finished RE5. I enjoyed it, but IMO, for a supposedly next gen game, it certainly doesn't play like one. For example...

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
There are scenes when you are in gunfights with zombie soldiers (they wield guns and stuff). Aside from the clumsy method of taking cover behind certain objects, wouldn't it be nice for the ability to move while shooting (or strafing)? I mean, you can do this in Gears of War...

End of Spoiler

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Black_Hayato
230th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Mon 23 Mar 14:55post reply

I enjoyed the game for what is was, but I kind of wished they had actually tried to add some horror and suspense. RE the game is becoming much like the RE movies. And while the modern Africa setting works, I think they missed an opportunity to go more into Africa's culture and mythology: AIDS, pyramids, vision quests, oral tradition, famine, etc.

Also Sheva's awsome. She'd be great for a globetrotting BSAA spinoff.

whitesword
1639th Post

"Re(3):Random Thread: Zombie Edition" , posted Tue 24 Mar 17:56post reply

quote:
I think they missed an opportunity to go more into Africa's culture and mythology: AIDS, pyramids, vision quests, oral tradition, famine, etc.

I wouldn't consider AIDS and famine as part of Africa's culture and mythology, just sayin'

Anyway, I'm now just as addicted to The Mercenaries as I was in RE4 and will probably attempt to get SS rankings in all stages with all characters even if it kills me

...help

Ishmael
3438th Post

"Re(4):Future Regret" , posted Thu 26 Mar 00:47post reply

The news coming out about Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma has me intrigued. While I have heard some very bad things about NG2 I have the -probably unfounded- hope that some of the gameplay issues in the original will be addressed in this port. Now that I think about it everything announced about this game fills me with ambivalence. The news that the game features Ayane is a good sign. The sight of Ayane wearing an outfit that's ugly even by Team Ninja standards makes me wonder just what this game is trying to accomplish.

Another game I'm cautiously looking forward to needs a bit of explanation. I recently picked up a very inexpensive copy of Army of Two. Under normal circumstances I would hate the game but the cheap price tag let me enjoy the title for all the wrong reasons. Because AoT turned out to be a guilty pleasure I find I have a hideous interest in Army of Two: 2. I don't expect it to be good but I'm hoping it will be bad in the way I enjoy. Not only do I want the two main characters to continue to bicker like the old married couple they are but I want the idiotic "pimped" option to be expanded upon to include the riot masks the characters sport. What's the point of having a gold and diamond encrusted machine gun if I can't have my character also wearing his bling directly on his head?

sfried
347th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Future Prospects" , posted Thu 26 Mar 13:32:post reply

Fans of the Professor (no, not our professor) living outside Japan: Rejoice!

[this message was edited by sfried on Thu 26 Mar 13:32]

Nekros
170th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Future Prospects" , posted Fri 27 Mar 04:04post reply

Some new footage of Katamari Tribute from GDC:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/1222996_1124.html

It isn't spectacular, has a very low detail and poligons but the cell shaded katamari is nice.

And a new game that has a PC Engine wibe:
http://www.mmv.co.jp/special/game/psp/umihara/movie/movie_01.html

Umihara Kawase is the name, is a completely new brand or a remake?

Spoon
1743th Post

"Re(7):Future Prospects" , posted Fri 27 Mar 05:05post reply

quote:

I'm pretty sure that that was already released in Japan. It looks almost exactly like the PSX one, which looked different from the SNES one. For some reason, I like the SNES one more.

sfried
347th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):Future Prospects" , posted Fri 27 Mar 12:44post reply

quote:

What happened with the DS remake being supervised by one of the designers?

Spoon
1744th Post

"Re(8):Future Prospects Past" , posted Mon 30 Mar 09:44post reply

http://archongame.com

The graphics are quite ugly and the developer's voice isn't fun to listen to, but the novel game mechanic looks very thoughtfully made. Then again, the FAQ says that they've been "playtesting for 4 years", which makes me wonder why they took so damn long to speak up about this project.

nobinobita
497th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Edition" , posted Mon 30 Mar 12:48:post reply

quote:

Awesome! It's (sort of) great to see that comic see the light of day!

A good friend of mine toned most of those comics. I actually toned a page or two myself at the climax when Batsu goes Super Saiyan/Kaio-ken x 3.

Those Felipe Smith pages look great.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 30 Mar 12:49]

Iggy
8869th Post

"Re(9):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Edition" , posted Mon 30 Mar 16:45:post reply

Quickly :

Fragile is unbearable. Those characters should never have talked. The character design is horrible. The controls are a mess, and the game design is poor at best.
There are a few great things lost in there : the wii-mote light or the gorgeous backgrounds. I have the feeling 2 different teams worked on the game, and the difference between the talented one and the worthless one make things even worse.

Paul no Daiboken (wiiware by Sega) is fun if you are over 30 and like oyaji jokes and japanese television. Its price is perfect for its objective value (500 points).

Demon's Souls is awesome. I think it's the first actual "must buy a PS3 for this game" to me (but I'm very picky on those). And from From!

The FAQ answer to "what kind of game is it?" is basically "King's field + Monster Hunter + [(Mario+Spelunker)/2 + (Torneco+Shiren)/2 + Diablo + (God of War+Wanda)/2 + (Wizardry+Busin)/2]/5 +
(Shadow Tower+Berserk)/2 + Niconico".

From a technical point of view, it's certainly far from great (Japan discovers Havok, yummy) but it has tremendous taste and direction. It has quite a few jawdropping moments, like a quiet place in the first level when you see a dragon the distance far, far away. It looks very peaceful, but suddenly you realize you will probably have to go and kill it at some point in the game, and the thing is HUGE even at this distance.
Oh, and also: the character's face creation tool is crazy (you can adjust ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, up to the space between the lips and the nose, and then between the lips and the chin. Or once you have chosen the sex of your character, you can adjust the male/female ratio grade by grade). Thankfully you can only customize the face, because that alone took us 2 hours for our first character. I even wished there had been a save point within the customize screen.

Currently, I have a hunter called Jupien (the lover of M. de Charlus) and a barbarian called La Champville (the 3rd old child abductor of the 120 days of Sodom). I love them.
But creating new characters is so time consuming I'm not even close to the first boss, while my roommate's priest Brigitte (the fearless once- exhibitionist ninja, now trying to abide for her crimes against fashion by slaughtering as many innocent knights as possible) is already near the 3rd level.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Mon 30 Mar 20:14]

Zepy
1534th Post

"Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Edition" , posted Fri 3 Apr 16:14post reply

quote:
Demon's Souls

I was wondering if I should get it, I guess I should!

Also 7th Dragon. That game got horrible in the second half because everything became really easy, it's almost like they didn't expect the player characters' level to go up as the story progressed, the enemies seemed to stop getting harder after a certain point. The only thing that kept me going in the game was the NPCs.

exodus
4171th Post

"Re(8):Future Prospects" , posted Sat 4 Apr 12:37post reply

quote:

What happened with the DS remake being supervised by one of the designers?

Still coming - I think it'll be released within the next two months or so? just based on my crappy memory.

Ishmael
3446th Post

"Re(9):Future Prospects" , posted Sun 5 Apr 05:19:post reply

I want to play Demon's Souls but I know that the moment I order a copy the US release date will be announced.

In other news, Yu Suzuki's role at Sega continues to diminish.

EDIT: In other zombie news, the Oneechanbara movie is getting a sequel. Who said that Japanese national cinema is dead?

[this message was edited by Ishmael on Sun 5 Apr 05:34]

nobinobita
499th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Future Prospects" , posted Sun 5 Apr 06:14post reply

quote:
I want to play Demon's Souls but I know that the moment I order a copy the US release date will be announced.

In other news, Yu Suzuki's role at Sega continues to diminish.

EDIT: In other zombie news, the Oneechanbara movie is getting a sequel. Who said that Japanese national cinema is dead?

Between these films and Yoji Yamada's recent offerings, I think the Japanese film industry is quite alive!

Maou
1618th Post

"Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Edition" , posted Sun 5 Apr 08:59:post reply

quote:
The FAQ answer to "what kind of game is it?" is basically "King's field + Monster Hunter + [(Mario+Spelunker)/2 + (Torneco+Shiren)/2 + Diablo + (God of War+Wanda)/2 + (Wizardry+Busin)/2]/5 +
(Shadow Tower+Berserk)/2 + Niconico".

So, mostly a roguelike, perhaps? Anything that's even remotely like Fuurai and Wanda+Colossus is my game of the year. Or longer.

Zepy: Any more impressions on 7th Dragon? We could have a thread. I'm so tired of every RPG to come out since...XII and Lost Odyssey, really, that I'm not convinced that I should play anything past Dragon Quest and Fuurai No Shiren on DS.

Ish: I find that Suzuki news crushingly sad. I think he's one of the great game creators. Shenmue is still one of the miracles of modern gaming to me. I remember how perfectly even starting out in Ryou's room recreated a Japanese atmospher, better than anything I've seen. In light of Shenmue's unpopularity, it's sadder still to see more modern but crass takes (GTA) or spiritual successors by other people (Ryuu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza) were able to do so much better now.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 5 Apr 09:05]

nobinobita
501th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Editi" , posted Sun 5 Apr 09:37:post reply

quote:
In light of Shenmue's unpopularity, it's sadder still to see more modern but crass takes (GTA) or spiritual successors by other people (Ryuu Ga Gotoku/Yakuza) were able to do so much better now.

*nods*

It's surprising how little credit Shenmu gets. I remember Nextgen.biz did an article a while back mentioning Quick Time events and they used Shenmu as an example of a game that did it wrong, while praising God of War for getting it right. A little historical context would have been nice.

It seems like current games journalists are often exceptionally uninterested in examining the history of games and the lineage of game concepts. Many publications like to put fourth this idea that games are in their "infancy" and that they are only now beginning to touch on their potential as emotionally engrossing media. I suspect this is because the writers started playing video games recently, and don't care to go back and see what came before.

What's most upsetting is that the opinions of those who still identify with the 8-bit or 16-bit era are often written off as overly nostalgic, or fanboyish, as if it were a bad thing to be a fan and be passionate about something. Cos you know, detached, objective opinions are the only ones that matter when discussing your favorite pastimes.

We now live in a world where most gamers don't know what Space Harrier is! Whatta world whatta world!!!

I have to add, Sega has been historically innovative yet completely terrible at getting recognition for it.

Just off the top of my head they invented the first real RTS in the form of Herzog Zwei, They invented 3d fighters (and the use of 3d models as responsive, fully playable characters) with Virtua Fighter, they invented and perfected realtime 3d cel shading in their first go at it with Jet Set Radio...

And well, they just don't get credit for any of it. They must have a terrible marketing team. The world is a dim and callous place, you can't just wait for people to recognize your genius, you have to bellow it out from the roof tops like David Jaffe, or that guy that headed up Bioshock.

Poor Suzuki. I hope he's not forgotten.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sun 5 Apr 09:47]

Spoon
1747th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Editi" , posted Sun 5 Apr 16:12post reply

quote:

I have to add, Sega has been historically innovative yet completely terrible at getting recognition for it.

Just off the top of my head they invented the first real RTS in the form of Herzog Zwei, They invented 3d fighters (and the use of 3d models as responsive, fully playable characters) with Virtua Fighter, they invented and perfected realtime 3d cel shading in their first go at it with Jet Set Radio...

And well, they just don't get credit for any of it. They must have a terrible marketing team. The world is a dim and callous place, you can't just wait for people to recognize your genius, you have to bellow it out from the roof tops like David Jaffe, or that guy that headed up Bioshock.

Poor Suzuki. I hope he's not forgotten.

It's often said in so many fields that first to publish is the winner. It's also said that history is written by the winners. But in the absence of winning, really loud marketing may suffice.

I don't remember Herzog Zwei being actually made by SEGA proper. Was it made by Technosoft or Tecnos? Damn those two companies for having almost the same name. Tecnos IS the Kunio-kun one, right?

My favourite defunct game developer is Looking Glass. Though they are arguably survived by the folks who have come to make Bioshock, in terms of genre innovation I don't know if anybody is ever again going to hit what Looking Glass did with FPS games (well, Red Storm did it once with the first Rainbow Six). The amount of different things they did with each successive game is dizzying. But in the end, people were a lot happier with the Dooms (network multiplayer was a real achievement, for sure though) and Quakes than with the wholly single-player affairs of the Looking Glass games.

I remember a long, long time ago when Quake 3 was new and the site called "polycount" (part of the then-vibrant "PlanetQuake"!) featured a model that was "toon-shaded". I don't remember all the details of it now, but since the programmable GPU wasn't such a common thing back then, the model artist had to do some kind of trickery with the model geometry in order to create the black-outline effect. Sure the model wasn't particularly animated (generic Q3 player model animation) nor did it fit at all into Q3 (since nothing else in the game looked like it), but it sure was spiffy!

Actually, edge-detection done at the geometry level is really cool. As opposed to, say, doing it as a post-processing effect where all you have to do is convolve a matrix on the image. But I fear I'm really diving off the random with that remark lol

exodus
4172th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Editi" , posted Mon 6 Apr 14:00post reply

quote:

It seems like current games journalists are often exceptionally uninterested in examining the history of games and the lineage of game concepts. Many publications like to put fourth this idea that games are in their "infancy" and that they are only now beginning to touch on their potential as emotionally engrossing media. I suspect this is because the writers started playing video games recently, and don't care to go back and see what came before.

this is a complicated issue, but it's not just about being uninterested - it's also about not knowing, or simply not understanding.

plus, it's certainly possible to do it first and do it wrong. people credit gears of war as the first game to get the cover system right in a third person shooter. a couple other games did it first, Gears pretty much did it best and most intuitively, to where other people would emulate it.

so it's "best" versus "first" or "most innovative," I guess.

Zepy
1536th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Random Thread: Samson/Adon Editi" , posted Mon 6 Apr 16:24:post reply

quote:
Zepy: Any more impressions on 7th Dragon? We could have a thread. I'm so tired of every RPG to come out since...XII and Lost Odyssey, really, that I'm not convinced that I should play anything past Dragon Quest and Fuurai No Shiren on DS.

I was kinda getting tired of RPGs too, and when I first started on 7th Dragon I remember thinking "wow I can still enjoy RPGs after all!", now that I've finished the game I'm not so sure anymore.

I think it will be pretty one sided if there's nobody else to give impressions of the game though! There's probably nothing left I can say about the game right now that's not negative.

I enjoyed the first half though.

[this message was edited by Zepy on Mon 6 Apr 16:44]

Nekros
173th Post

Regular Customer

"New Megadrive RPG on the way!" , posted Tue 7 Apr 01:45post reply

Pre-orders open on PIER SOLAR:
http://www.piersolar.com/index.php

A fanmade RPG on MD, with improved soundtrack in the MCD version. It seems very nice and warm-hearted.

I need to buy a Megadrive again...

Maou
1618th Post

"Re(1):New Megadrive RPG on the way!" , posted Tue 7 Apr 08:06post reply

quote:
Pre-orders open on PIER SOLAR:
http://www.piersolar.com/index.php

A fanmade RPG on MD, with improved soundtrack in the MCD version. It seems very nice and warm-hearted.

Hmm, the sketch on the front page made me have high hopes for a Lunar-inspired vibe with its Kubooka-esque character designs, but the in-game screenshots show a very very different art style. Hmm!

crazymike
1496th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):New Megadrive RPG on the way!" , posted Tue 7 Apr 08:36post reply

quote:

I need to make a game, might be a better get rich quick scheme than an iphone app...

Ishmael
3446th Post

"Re(2):New Megadrive RPG on the way!" , posted Wed 8 Apr 01:24post reply

In keeping with the Sega turn this thread has taken, I want to thank the person on this board (Nekros perhaps?) who recommended Valkyria Chronicles. I've barely started but I'm already enjoying making my cute little anime tropes fight and die in a hail of gunfire.

Zepy
1536th Post

"Re(3):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Wed 8 Apr 15:14post reply

In keeping with the Sega turn this thread has taken, Sega and Tri-ace are making End of Eternity, an RPG for PS3 and 360

Nekros
174th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Wed 8 Apr 15:42post reply

quote:
In keeping with the Sega turn this thread has taken, Sega and Tri-ace are making End of Eternity, an RPG for PS3 and 360

Mhhh is about gunfights (steam punk/tech fantasy themed) and characters remind me a young version of Sephiroth. Non so inspired at all, but is only at first sight so I may (and hope to) be wrong.

Ishmael: yup, it was me in the very firt time. Is an amazing game, both technically and gameplay-wise. A PS3 exsclusive really interesting, more than "the big ones" from Sony, imho.

Ishmael
3447th Post

"Re(5):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Thu 9 Apr 01:22post reply

Shadow of the Colossus to be made into a movie. I suspect it will suffer as badly as this property did in its transfer to the silver screen.

Maou
1620th Post

"Re(6):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Thu 9 Apr 01:47:post reply

quote:
Shadow of the Colossus to be made into a movie. I suspect it will suffer as badly as this property did in its transfer to the silver screen.

I know! Makes me sick to my stomach to think that one of my very favorite games will get torn to pieces by people too stupid to understand it. At least in the past it was primarily big franchises that wouldn't be doomed to only be associated with a bad movie. I'm sort of puzzled by the need to attach what's essentially an art-house game's name to a Hollywood movie, and at the same time by Sony's willingness to sell out the name of said game for what is sure to be insignificant profit.

Come to think of it, I'm sure the movie will run like God of War. God of War would make an awesome (and well-selling) Hollywood movie, rather than this.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 9 Apr 01:49]

nobinobita
501th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Thu 9 Apr 02:55post reply

quote:

I know! Makes me sick to my stomach to think that one of my very favorite games will get torn to pieces by people too stupid to understand it. At least in the past it was primarily big franchises that wouldn't be doomed to only be associated with a bad movie.

This is genuinely upsetting news.

The worst part is there's no incentive for them to make an actually good, or even accurate movie.

Anyone who really loved that game who complains will be disregarded as an effete fanboy and enough people will see it out of curiosity for it to make money.

Ho hum. After seeing progress on Dragon Ball the Movie, Avatar the Last Airbender and Wolverine the movie I'm starting to get used to the spectacularly heartbreakingly awful and confounding decisions that are made on comic/game/cartoon adaptations.

Well, who knows, maybe they could get Guillermo Del Toro to direct Shadow of Colossus the Movie? Then it might stand a chance of at least being visually entertaining.

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/hellboy-director-talks-gaming

And if we're really lucky, maybe we'll even get a Shadow of the Colossus: The Movie: The Game!

Spoon
1749th Post

"Suggoi. Arcana Heart 2." , posted Thu 9 Apr 08:34post reply

Has anybody else had the chance to play this spectacular PS2 port?

Reminds me of the PSX days, though at least it's better than no-tagging MvC.

Random and funny things about it:
- different characters cause different amount of slowdown... and no, this isn't restricted to characters that might throw tons of crap onto the screen.

- not version 2.6 (the current arcade version)

- hitting Retry after a match still does a full loading screen

- some sound fx seem to be mixed up

- some character frames are in usual resolution, while others are in much lower resolution. While cuts in quality were somewhat expected, the visual effect of this is quite jarring. What's worse, there's still the above-mentioned slowdown even with this in effect.

- can't select background in Training mode. It's a tiny thing, but come on.

Iggy
8871th Post

"Re(1):Suggoi. Arcana Heart 2." , posted Thu 9 Apr 16:27post reply

quote:

When the developers explain 1 week before the game is released why their port will be "not accurate at all" and then go in detail about which character will be particularly screwed up, I think it's a sign some things shouldn't have been done the way they have been.

Professor
2538th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(2):Suggoi. Arcana Heart 2." , posted Thu 9 Apr 23:22:post reply

quote:

When the developers explain 1 week before the game is released why their port will be "not accurate at all" and then go in detail about which character will be particularly screwed up, I think it's a sign some things shouldn't have been done the way they have been.

tsoes.hp.infoseek.co.jp//cgi-bin/uploader/src/up1528.jpg
tsoes.hp.infoseek.co.jp//cgi-bin/uploader/src/up1527.jpg

(can't direct link)
It looks like a Photoshop prank and yet, it isn't. Very scary.

It was developed by Ecole; That explains the Death Crimson quality.

[this message was edited by Professor on Thu 9 Apr 23:42]

Ishmael
3449th Post

"Re(3):Suggoi. Arcana Heart 2." , posted Thu 9 Apr 23:58post reply

quote:

(can't direct link)

Yeesh, now all it needs to do is erase your memory card and that port will be good to go.

quote:
Well, who knows, maybe they could get Guillermo Del Toro to direct Shadow of Colossus the Movie? Then it might stand a chance of at least being visually entertaining.

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/hellboy-director-talks-gaming

One of the posters at that link brings up an interesting question: where are the games from Mexico? Considering how much games have become part of popular culture the actual creation of games has been mostly limited to a few points on the globe. Aren't there studios and game creators out there in the rest of the world who have games they want to develop?

karasu99
111th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Suggoi. Arcana Heart 2." , posted Fri 10 Apr 00:06post reply

quote:

(can't direct link)

Yeesh, now all it needs to do is erase your memory card and that port will be good to go.

Ugh. This is all very great to know, now that it's almost certainly too late to cancel my preorder. I suppose I should take this as a lesson.

What is it with the two fairly high profile crap-ports lately? First KOF02UM and now this? And, come to this of it, GGXXAC for PS2 shipped broken as well (and then they sold-- SOLD-- a fix disc what, 6 months after?). Maybe I should swear off buying new 2D fighters for the PS2 or something.

Spoon
1750th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Suggoi. Arcana Heart 2." , posted Fri 10 Apr 04:39post reply

quote:

What is it with the two fairly high profile crap-ports lately? First KOF02UM and now this? And, come to this of it, GGXXAC for PS2 shipped broken as well (and then they sold-- SOLD-- a fix disc what, 6 months after?). Maybe I should swear off buying new 2D fighters for the PS2 or something.

02UM isn't that bad, considering all the new stuff they put into it, and the fact that there's no arcade release of it anyway. There are a few game-breaking bugs, but hey, GGXX has had game-freezing I-no bugs for what, more than 3 releases running?

karasu99
114th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Suggoi. Arcana Heart 2." , posted Fri 10 Apr 06:12post reply

quote:
02UM isn't that bad, considering all the new stuff they put into it, and the fact that there's no arcade release of it anyway. There are a few game-breaking bugs, but hey, GGXX has had game-freezing I-no bugs for what, more than 3 releases running?

No, you're right, I've just been smarting from seeing the list in Iggy's post of all the problems. I've enjoyed it though, so perhaps I should relax into Suggoi and hope for the best.

Professor
2540th Post

MMCafe Owner

"King Of Fighters film" , posted Sat 11 Apr 14:36:post reply

I'm kind of surprized that this hasn't been mentioned yet, but then there isn't much to be mentioned

"An adaption of the popular arcade and console game series, King Of Fighters revolves around the pursuit of three artifacts that will grant their owner unlimited power over reality"

So Darth Maul plays Rugal, that should at least be a bit interesting.

[this message was edited by Professor on Sat 11 Apr 14:43]

Gojira
2514th Post

"Re(6):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Sat 11 Apr 15:51post reply

Oh, we know. We're just taking a break from the uproar

quote:

And in case anyone thought this had a chance in hell of succeeding, Justin Marks is writing it. You know, the guy that wrote a certain Legend of Chun-something or other movie.

shipoopi

Evenor
684th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(7):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Sat 11 Apr 17:00post reply

Oh Bayonetta~

いつまでも残酷に腐るまで I LOVE YOU
何処までも卑猥に腐るまで I LOVE YOU

Ishmael
3454th Post

"Re(8):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Tue 14 Apr 01:37post reply

quote:
Oh Bayonetta~

That combination of a smooth jazz soundtrack and the stilted use of the English language was what really made the trailer work for me. While that preview has upped my interest in Bayonetta a great deal I am a bit concerned about how over the top those attacks are. Will they flow naturally as part of the gameplay or will they be awkward animations that end up making the game feel far more stitled than an action title should be? I think my main basis for that unfounded bit of worrying is that I have yet to find a game where transforming into an animal is actually fun.

Spoon
1751th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(9):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Tue 14 Apr 02:26post reply

quote:
where transforming into an animal is actually fun.

WISE FWOM YOUR GWAVE

Maou
1628th Post

"Re(9):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Tue 14 Apr 03:10:post reply

quote:
I think my main basis for that unfounded bit of worrying is that I have yet to find a game where transforming into an animal is actually fun.

This reminds me of the magnificent (?) Bloody Roar 3 (4?) semi-porn screencap thread here several years ago.

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 14 Apr 03:11]

Amakusa
795th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(9):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Tue 14 Apr 10:23post reply

quote:
I think my main basis for that unfounded bit of worrying is that I have yet to find a game where transforming into an animal is actually fun.

You didn't like Altered Beast?

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Pollyanna
2663th Post

"Re(10):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Tue 14 Apr 13:04post reply

quote:

You know, I play Altered Beast every few years for...some...reason. I don't think it's because I like it, though.

On a totally unrelated note, everyone needs to get Oboro Muramasa. I'm not far into it, but so far, it's been so awesome that it's nearly killed me 3 times.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Maou
1629th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Tue 14 Apr 14:20:post reply

quote:

You know, I play Altered Beast every few years for...some...reason. I don't think it's because I like it, though.

You know, I'm actually very curious about this Altered Beast thing. I feel like people always talk about it, but seldom fondly so much as with the same knowing distaste that marks a terrible cult movie that everyone has seen. Didn't this come bundled with the Mega Drive in the US or something before Sonic? If so, that would explain this ambiguous game's unambiguously large number of players...

[this message was edited by Maou on Tue 14 Apr 14:22]

Ishmael
3455th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Wed 15 Apr 04:47post reply

Is the gameplay of Oboro Muramasa any better then what was in Odin Sphere? While it was a striking game to look at, my enjoyment of Odin Sphere was hampered by the way it dished out frustrating, nearly unavoidable hits and a sluggish feel to every action in the game. Odin Sphere has a lot in common with Altered Beast now that I think about it.

nobinobita
505th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Re(10):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Wed 15 Apr 05:52post reply

quote:

You know, I'm actually very curious about this Altered Beast thing. I feel like people always talk about it, but seldom fondly so much as with the same knowing distaste that marks a terrible cult movie that everyone has seen. Didn't this come bundled with the Mega Drive in the US or something before Sonic? If so, that would explain this ambiguous game's unambiguously large number of players...

Altered Beast was the original pack in game for the Genesis, maybe for the Megadrive too. In any case it was the first MegaDrive game we got. I remember being blown away by the graphics and being scared of the undead guys and some of the bosses.

I think the game still holds up for its sheer weirdness. I'd say it's definitely like a cult movie, but not a bad one exactly. It's not like Troll 2 where it's so bad it's good. For me it's more like a Jess Franco movie, something very very peculiar that's unlike anything made today.

The game has a great grim atmosphere. The art style still stands out to me. It's very 70s fantasy, but more Frank Frazetta than Boris Vallejo or Julie Bell.

As dated as it is now, I think it still has a much more mature art style than most games today. Whoever did the art for the game also painted alot of 16bit game covers including the one for Brandish. I can't remember the artists name at the moment, but she's one of my favorites.

The game has alot of personality. There were some excellent artists working on it, and they made some very obtuse and abstract decisions in how the game was executed. Like for instance, there's an underground stage where you transform into a bear that can turn enemies into stone. I can't explain it, but it has some strange logic behind it, like a weird dream.

It might not have the best gameplay ever, but the experience of playing it sticks with you. Or at least it did for me.

Pollyanna
2664th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):New Sega/Tri-ace RPG on the way" , posted Wed 15 Apr 06:20post reply

quote:
Is the gameplay of Oboro Muramasa any better then what was in Odin Sphere? While it was a striking game to look at, my enjoyment of Odin Sphere was hampered by the way it dished out frustrating, nearly unavoidable hits and a sluggish feel to every action in the game. Odin Sphere has a lot in common with Altered Beast now that I think about it.

I'm so happy to hear this, because I'm always arguing with people about what a mediocre game Odin Sphere was. I loved the plot, the art and the music, but take all that away and you're left with an unnecessarily grind-heavy, sluggish, ridiculously food-oriented, repetitive sorry excuse for a beat-em-up.

Muramasa is nothing like that. It's still repetitive, but the system is fun and addictive...and as long as you don't play on easy mode, it's reasonably challenging as well.

It sort of reminds me of (3D) Ninja Gaiden, where there's a level of speed, precision and artistry to everything you do. Like...it's simple, but it's not boring, and no matter what you do, it ends up looking totally cool. I dunno...watch a video. It's at least as fun as it looks.

Of course, I'm still on the "honeymoon period" and it's rare that I end a game feeling as positive about it as when I started, but right now, the only thing I don't like about it is that it's a bit difficult to understand. The language borders on poetry sometimes and there have been numerous lines that have completely gone over my head.

Still, it's notably better than Odin Sphere in almost every way (not plot so much...) and like Odin Sphere, even if it DID stink, I would recommend it on "pretty factor" alone.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Zepy
1537th Post

"Re(5):Futomomomuramasa" , posted Wed 15 Apr 13:37post reply

They fixed almost all the things I hated about the battles in Odin Sphere! I like the game so far, I thought the random battles would get really repetitive after a while but they managed to introduce some variety with the stages.

The only thing about the game that I've found annoying so far is that incredible amount of traveling and backtracking through areas with nothing in them.

sfried
349th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):More survival horror on Wii" , posted Wed 15 Apr 13:55post reply

Takashi Shimizu is making "Feel", although I'm still pissed off about the Fatal Frame 4 incident.

Pollyanna
2665th Post

"Re(6):Futomomomuramasa" , posted Wed 15 Apr 18:28post reply

quote:
They fixed almost all the things I hated about the battles in Odin Sphere! I like the game so far, I thought the random battles would get really repetitive after a while but they managed to introduce some variety with the stages.

The only thing about the game that I've found annoying so far is that incredible amount of traveling and backtracking through areas with nothing in them.

The level layout is just kind of weak overall. The placement of save points, hot springs and shops seems kind of arbitrary...from a gameplay standpoint at least. I wish the world had been fleshed out a little more, so that it was more like a SOTN-styled Castlevania. That way, the backtracking wouldn't feel so much like running back and forth.

There are a lot of little things about the game that don't come together as well as they could, but I haven't found anything that's soured the experience for me...it's just that I don't think it lives up to its full potential.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Olivier Hague
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):More survival horror on Wii" , posted Thu 16 Apr 02:26post reply

quote:
Takashi Shimizu is making "Feel"

It's actually called "Kyôfu Taikan Juon".
Why they only translated the "kan" part of the title is beyond me.

Ishmael
3456th Post

"Re(9):More survival horror on Wii" , posted Thu 16 Apr 04:59post reply

quote:

So Shimizu is still doing that one thing he does except now in different media? More power to him.

I'm glad to hear that Oboro Muramasa gained the good looks of Odin Sphere while managing not to inherit its questionable gameplay genetics. I hope there's a section in OM where I can also pointlessly play with a cat but that would probably be asking for too much.

Nobinobita is right, Altered Beast was doing something in its presentation that not many games were doing then or now. Not only did it have that airbrush fantasy painting look going but it also really delivered the goods when it came to being an arcade game. For the price of one credit it gave you the chance to punch zombies until bone and rotting human flesh were flying all over the screen. Those people behind that old, odd Blue Skies in Games movement must have been thinking of Altered Beast when they were remembering the bright, cheerful games of their youth. In the end Altered Beast may not be the greatest thing in the world but it does deliver when it comes to delirious design and delightful levels of violence; it's like Oneechanbara if you replaced the girls with furries.

I can't believe I just wrote that much about Altered Beast. In a perfect world I would have also worked in references to the Matthew Sweet albums Altered Beast and Son of Altered Beast but you can't have everything.

Nekros
176th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):More survival horror on Wii" , posted Thu 16 Apr 05:57post reply

quote:

Feel is the team beyond the game, that's based on the movie franchise Ju-On (The Grudge). Ju-On literally means "ten grudges", and the game Ku-On has a tribute to it in its title ("nine grudges").
And don't talk about the Fatal Frame incident...I hate Nintendo a lot even without this.

Btw, did you notice about the new Shining Force?
http://kotaku.com/5212420/sega-plans-another-shining-force-for-an-unexpected-platform
Seems like a beat'em up crossed with an action rpg, tasty. But too bad for the moe chara design (again!)

nobinobita
506th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):More survival horror on Wii" , posted Thu 16 Apr 06:12post reply

quote:
it's like Oneechanbara if you replaced the girls with furries.

As a rule:

human body + animal head + six pack = furry

But Altered Beast is exempt from this equation.
Glad to see some Altered Beast lovin'.

Maou
1629th Post

"Re(10):More survival horror on Wii" , posted Thu 16 Apr 06:17post reply

quote:

I can't believe I just wrote that much about Altered Beast. In a perfect world I would have also worked in references to the wonderful Matthew Sweet albums Altered Beast and Son of Altered Beast but you can't have everything.

There is still time to correct this problem...I have high hopes! Interesting to hear about this odd odd game--thanks, guys!

karasu99
115th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):More survival horror on Wii" , posted Thu 16 Apr 06:48post reply

quote:

Glad to see some Altered Beast lovin'.

I should perhaps not bring up the GBA sequel to Altered Beast then? OOPS, too late.

While I didn't hate it, I found that there was remarkably little innovation given the 20 or so years between its release and that of the original game. But I guess I like Altered Beast enough that I played it anyway.

Olivier Hague
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):More survival horror on Wii" , posted Thu 16 Apr 06:53:post reply

quote:
Feel is the team beyond the game

I'm not sure where you got that. It appears to be developed by AQ Interactive.

EDIT: Wait. It's apparently published by AQ Interactive, but developed by Feelplus. I guess that might indeed be where they got "Feel" from.

quote:
Ju-On literally means "ten grudges"

Er... No, it doesn't.

Official site, by the way: http://www.juongame.jp

And two new Juon movies (for the video market, I believe?): http://www.juon2009.jp

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Thu 16 Apr 07:24]

Nekros
177th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):More survival horror on Wii" , posted Thu 16 Apr 22:52post reply

quote:
Feel is the team beyond the game
I'm not sure where you got that. It appears to be developed by AQ Interactive.

EDIT: Wait. It's apparently published by AQ Interactive, but developed by Feelplus. I guess that might indeed be where they got "Feel" from.

Ju-On literally means "ten grudges"
Er... No, it doesn't.

Official site, by the way: http://www.juongame.jp

And two new Juon movies (for the video market, I believe?): http://www.juon2009.jp

ooh, you're right. The kanji used for KU in Kuon is 9, but the kanji of the JU in Juon isn't number 10. Sorry, sorry.
So Ju is something related to "heavy burden", right?

Olivier Hague
132th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):More survival horror on Wii" , posted Thu 16 Apr 23:12post reply

"Curse", basically.