general PS3 talk - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2619 Views )

karasu99
95th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 13 Mar 00:25post reply

So it looks as though I'll finally be able to afford a PS3 soon, if I really want to have one. Great, now that it's what, over a year after its release?

That said, I was wondering if some fine and helpful individuals here might be willing to help me actually weigh the pros and cons of buying one. Because a year ago I decided it just wasn't worth bothering with one, given that many of the titles available then were non-PS3 exclusive (important given that I already have an XBox 360), and the ones that weren't were not significant enough for me to bother with. (I should note up front that I am not in fact a Metal Gear fan ).

Here is my list so far:

Pros:
-Hey, new game system
-Downloadable games look good
-Some versions can be gotten with backward compatibility
-No region protection (still true?)
-Likely target for future 2D fighters

Cons:
-Lots of games are also available on XBox 360, which I already have
-Just don't know many games of interest still
-Expensive
-Many models do not, apparently, still support backward compatibility

And I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting.

So does someone feel like helping me out? I could, after all, just bag the whole thing and buy a ton of old Saturn games, or a PC-Engine with games, or whatever. I kindof feel bad that I am so halfhearted about what seems to be a decent enough piece of gaming hardware, but that's the way it is at the moment...

Replies:

nobinobita
488th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 13 Mar 00:40post reply

It's a solid system. I think the biggest pros going for it are:

1) It's a great Blu-ray player, and blu-ray disks look awesome

2) It can play media from burned dvds and even jump drives so you can just download stuff and plug it in and watch it on your TV.

3)Fumito Ueda will eventually make some sort of exclussive title for it... someday.

Also, it's pretty sturdy. I like my 360, but it's also broken down twice since I got it.

Maou
1609th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 13 Mar 03:29post reply

quote:

3)Fumito Ueda will eventually make some sort of exclussive title for it... someday.

Ueda is the single best reason to get one, I agree. Along with Flow(er) on download. But if one is waiting for Ueda to finally make a game, it's probably worth holding off till then so that the price can fall.

Ryuu Ga Gotoku 3/Yakuza 3 is apparently fantastic, too.

But aside from these things, I actually have no idea what people do with their PS3's beside wish that they liked Metal Gear Solid 4 as much as 1.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Ishmael
3429th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 13 Mar 03:31post reply

quote:

1) It's a great Blu-ray player, and blu-ray disks look awesome

As a follow-up to that, my PS3 also does a great job of upscaling my regular old DVD's. The problem is that it does such a great job that the difference between regular disks and blu-rays are often negligible. I might notice the differences more if I had a larger television or if I upgraded to a better set of eyeballs but for now my ramshackle entertainment system runs just about as well with either type of disk.

That either/or feeling extends to the PS3 and 360 as well. Outside of Ryu ga Gotoku and a few other notable exceptions most titles are, as you noted, avaliable for both systems. While I have a PS3 and am quite happy with it I'm not sure there's a large enough difference between it and the 360 at the moment to make it a must-buy console.

Freeter
4442th Post

"procon" , posted Fri 13 Mar 03:34post reply

Why must the JP PSN store taunt me with their HUGE PS1 catalog?

Stupid US store doesn't even have Intelligent Qube...

Nekros
167th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 13 Mar 03:49post reply

quote:

On a sad note: maybe not.
The "poor" audience reception and costs brings developers on multiplatform games or 360/Wii exsclusives. It also apply on shumps.

See in particular:
- Shikigami No Shiro 3 (Wii and 360, NOT PS3)
- Deathsmiles (360 only)
- Ketsui (DS and 360, NOT PS3)
- Dodonpachi (360 only)
- Otomedius (360 Only)
- Irubero/Illvelo (Wii only)
- Mamonoro (360 only)
The only exception is Soldner X

2D fighters are on both systems.

I don't think PS3 will became the target for that kind of games, even with RPGs is not the first choice of developers. The fact is that PS3 is no more like PS2 or PS1....

GekigangerV
1618th Post

"Re(1):procon" , posted Fri 13 Mar 06:38post reply

quote:
Why must the JP PSN store taunt me with their HUGE PS1 catalog?

Stupid US store doesn't even have Intelligent Qube...

I am sure if you asked nicely enough you could ask one of the Japanese residents of the Cafe to pick you up a ticket, give you the code and you pay them back.

I have been meaning to pick up a couple of Fatal Fury games and the Japanese version of MGS1, but haven't gotten the time to play them.

karasu99
97th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):procon" , posted Fri 13 Mar 07:15post reply

quote:
I am sure if you asked nicely enough you could ask one of the Japanese residents of the Cafe to pick you up a ticket, give you the code and you pay them back.

So then is it possible to have both Japanese and American points at once, or do I misunderstand?

Hum. Thanks everyone for the info, and by all means, let's continue the conversation, but I'm starting to lean toward getting one now, ever so slightly. It's too bad that PS2 compatibility is no longer supported-- I'll have to keep my elderly PS2 chugging along for when I really feel like playing Katamari or whatever.

Pollyanna
2655th Post

"Re(3):procon" , posted Fri 13 Mar 07:46post reply

quote:

So then is it possible to have both Japanese and American points at once, or do I misunderstand?

Well, it would be two different accounts. You would make a Japanese PSN account and you would use your "Japanese money" on that. For the US (or whatever) account, I imagine you would just use your credit card to charge it directly, not a point card.

So what I mean to say is, yes. Yes you can have both at once.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
489th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 13 Mar 12:53post reply

quote:

As a follow-up to that, my PS3 also does a great job of upscaling my regular old DVD's. The problem is that it does such a great job that the difference between regular disks and blu-rays are often negligible.

This is very true. My roommate has a giant HD TV and regular DVDs look awesome on it when upscaled, especially traditional animation. I've been going through alot of classic Disney and Anime on that tv. It's like seeing it again for the first time.

If you get a chance though, blu-ray animated features are gorgeous! Things like Tekkon Kinkreet and Cinderella are just dazzling. The old DBZ movies look awesome too since they are cel painted. The colors and linework really leap out at you (they used some really unique color schemes back in the traditional cel painting days!).

quote:

Ueda is the single best reason to get one, I agree. Along with Flow(er) on download. But if one is waiting for Ueda to finally make a game, it's probably worth holding off till then so that the price can fall.

Ryuu Ga Gotoku 3/Yakuza 3 is apparently fantastic, too.

I wish they'd drop some sorta hint on what Ueda is working on. Whatever it is, it's sure to wow us all.

I definitely gotta look into those other titles. Flower sounds eerily (upsettingly) similar to a game concept I had been working on (i wanted to make an online game where you are a seed and you blow in the wind and spread your flowers to other people's meadows). Kudos to those guys for getting such an unusual game out!

Pollyanna
2656th Post

"Re(3):general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 13 Mar 15:12post reply

quote:

my ramshackle entertainment system runs just about as well with either type of disk.

For whatever reason, the thought of playing HD content in a non-HD environment drives me crazy. Do you have an okay monitor? It might be fun to hook your PS3 up to it and see how it looks. I'd rather play HD stuff on a small monitor stuffed in a corner than a huge SD TV.

As for DVDs looking better, I find it's hit or miss. Sometimes "better quality" just means "the flaws are more evident". Even blu-ray stuff is like...50/50. Many movies I've seen on blu-ray have left me wondering why they bothered with an HD version. But on the bright side, the other 50% is gorgeous.

A strange example of something that had both was the blu-ray release of the "Planet Earth" documentaries. They have such a wide variety of footage (from different cameras) in there that it will switch between mediocre and jaw-dropping between scenes.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Zepy
1529th Post

"Re(4):general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 13 Mar 15:30post reply

quote:
For whatever reason, the thought of playing HD content in a non-HD environment drives me crazy.

I play SF4 on a dirty 10 year old SD TV and it's great! I can't even read the names of whoever I'm playing against.

Pollyanna
2657th Post

"Re(5):general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 13 Mar 19:07post reply

quote:

I play SF4 on a dirty 10 year old SD TV and it's great! I can't even read the names of whoever I'm playing against.

But can you read their moves?

That reminds me, I played 3rd Strike on my friend's parents' olllld TV once, and for some weird reason, when Chun Li did her hyakuretsukyaku her legs would completely disappear.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

kofoguz
694th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 13 Mar 19:58:post reply

quote:
That reminds me, I played 3rd Strike on my friend's parents' olllld TV once, and for some weird reason, when Chun Li did her hyakuretsukyaku her legs would completely disappear.

Elitist much lately?

Joke aside, nowadays to move on HDTV's is crazy, theyre still selling non-fullhd HDTV and there are new technology coming over Lazer-Vue and 3D ones and OLED's so its a bit risky for the ones like us whos not filthy rich...
I'm hoping for nnot so unreliable market, and a format to buy without regret.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm speaking locally. So that might not make sense when you dont consider that.

[sigtag][/sigtag]

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Sat 14 Mar 21:17]

Mokona
466th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):general PS3 talk" , posted Sat 14 Mar 00:09post reply

I've been wanting a PS3 for some time now. I'm different in the way that I will not buy a Microsoft system (call me what you will, but I'm not buying shit that dies at least 5 times on you in the first year).

The only real exclusive you need to be excited about is whatever Team Ico will unleash on our unready souls!

Blah!

Ishmael
3430th Post

"Re(4):general PS3 talk" , posted Sat 14 Mar 01:33post reply

quote:
For whatever reason, the thought of playing HD content in a non-HD environment drives me crazy. Do you have an okay monitor? It might be fun to hook your PS3 up to it and see how it looks. I'd rather play HD stuff on a small monitor stuffed in a corner than a huge SD TV.

Actually, I have a Sony Bravia -or something like that. Whatever the title is, it's a fine television and certainly an improvement over the cathode tube box I had before that would let out an audible "whump" noise whenever I turned it on. What I meant by my comment was that while I have a modest collection of electronic toys that work for me I don't have one of those massive high end entertainment packages that require a service plan to pay for.

While it's not as startling a jump as going from black and white to color must have been I agree that the difference between HD and SD is noticeable. But what I'm most enjoy about this shift in technology is the 16x9 screen and how much it helps when watching movies at home. HD is nice but I'm all about aspect ratios.

Maou
1611th Post

"Re(4):general PS3 talk" , posted Sat 14 Mar 04:49:post reply

quote:

(i wanted to make an online game where you are a seed and you blow in the wind and spread your flowers to other people's meadows).

Nobi, are you sure you didn't make Flow(er)? Then again, what makes this game so important is the gorgeous execution of it, since the basic idea is fairly simple, so I'm sure you'd love it even if it differs from what you envision making yourself. It's my favorite new game I've played since the DS remake of Fuurai No Shiren.

quote:
Planet Earth
Polly, strange thing about Planet Earth is that I saw it on HD-DVD when it was still around and thought it was uniformly breathtaking...maybe I haven't rewatched it enough, or maybe the Blu-Ray version looks more uneven in HD.

quote:
Ishmael's wumping TV
Ishmael, that reminds me of my venerable 13 inch Sony TV that has been around for 2+ decades. It made that good old "pu-ching" sound that an old CRT monitor will make, and it only had 13 channels, but it was blown up by lightning twice and still works to this day. I've sadly upgraded over the years to a state-of-the-art 20 inch CRT TV. Hmm.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 14 Mar 04:56]

nobinobita
492th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):general PS3 talk" , posted Sat 14 Mar 12:37post reply

quote:

(i wanted to make an online game where you are a seed and you blow in the wind and spread your flowers to other people's meadows).
Nobi, are you sure you didn't make Flow(er)? Then again, what makes this game so important is the gorgeous execution of it, since the basic idea is fairly simple, so I'm sure you'd love it even if it differs from what you envision making yourself. It's my favorite new game I've played since the DS remake of Fuurai No Shiren.

Haha I WISH i had. I'm kind of blowing hot air. That idea was one of many that we came up with during a brain storming/day dreaming session. Everyone can think of cool things, but it takes some special people to make em happen (I am working on some pretty cool games right now though). I'll definitely check out Flow(er) soon(ish). Thanks for the recommendation. Also, I've had my eye on Fuurai No Shiren ever since I saw the gorgeous new Akiman cover.

I have a soft spot for games with men wearing large hats. From Magician Lord to Chakan to... this top down Megadrive game that I'm going to drive myself nuts trying to find out the name of since it's been so long since i played it... they're all good.

Maou
1611th Post

"Re(6):general PS3 talk" , posted Sat 14 Mar 13:18post reply

quote:

Haha I WISH i had. I'm kind of blowing hot air. That idea was one of many that we came up with during a brain storming/day dreaming session. Everyone can think of cool things, but it takes some special people to make em happen (I am working on some pretty cool games right now though). I'll definitely check out Flow(er) soon(ish). Thanks for the recommendation. Also, I've had my eye on Fuurai No Shiren ever since I saw the gorgeous new Akiman cover.

I have a soft spot for games with men wearing large hats. From Magician Lord to Chakan to... this top down Megadrive game that I'm going to drive myself nuts trying to find out the name of since it's been so long since i played it... they're all good.

Yeah, check out Flow(er) as soon as you can. Really special, and given that we seem to keep having some aesthetic talk in other threads, I'm pretty sure that you in particular would really dig the artistic design.

And YES, Fuurai is absolutely wonderful. It's super-old and a friend who played it as a kid (I didn't have it) was always hoping to dig up the SFC version and did semi-recently, but I'd sadly only played Toruneko on PS up until then. But the outstanding art of that cover totally re-reminded me of how I need to play it, and we cruised through it the other day for a great time. But then, we've all talked about this before, I think, and all the adventure and tension of these games...there's not much about the game in English, I bet, but I think Jeremy "Toasty Frog" Parish covers it well: here and here.

...aaand I've derailed PS3 to DS again.

karasu99
100th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):general PS3 talk" , posted Sun 15 Mar 08:37post reply

quote:

...aaand I've derailed PS3 to DS again.

Bravo! Heh. Although I wonder if DS talk needs to be taken up in a new thread as well? it's an interesting discussion that I would love to join in. I'll leave it to others though-- I start waaay too many conversations for the new guy that I am.

So, it turns out that the PS3 is on its way. Anyone want to recommend any games for it? I have heard tell that Disgaea 3 is good, if I like that kind of thing (I do), and Demon's Souls appears to be good. I'll forewarn everyone though-- while I will gladly struggle through some Japanese games, I can read little or no Japanese, so things like heavy-duty RPGs are out.

Maou
1612th Post

"Re(8):general PS3 talk" , posted Sun 15 Mar 11:56post reply

quote:

I'll leave it to others though-- I start waaay too many conversations for the new guy that I am.

Nah, everyone here is crazy anyway, so we won't mind. Besides, there's always poor emagius whose glitched account has displayed "0 posts" on hundreds of threads.

Meanwhile, I like any thread that I can turn from a discussion about new systems into a discussion about 15 year-old games.

Pollyanna
2658th Post

"Re(8):general PS3 talk" , posted Sun 15 Mar 19:31post reply

Maou:

I might have worded what I said wrong.
It's not really that any of the footage looked bad or anything, it's just like...if you watched it in SD, it would probably look completely uniform, but in HD, there was a notable difference in film grain and little things like that between scenes. I mean, that only makes sense, since it's not like it was filmed by the same camera under the same conditions all the time.

Kofoguz:

It's getting harder and harder for me to be elitist these days. My paychecks are smaller, fewer and further between. I had to sell my golden throne and replace it with a silver one. I had to lay off my servants who carried me everywhere so that I could look down on people. Now, I have to resort to very high platform shoes instead. It's getting tough to look down on tall people, and when I trip, then everyone is looking down on me.

I didn't mean to criticize people who can't afford fancy setups, though. It just drives me crazy and it seems like it would be better to play out of a monitor than a crappy TV.

Ishmael:

Sorry I misunderstood. I would offer you a position as the "aspect ratio elitist" in the Elitist Club, but that wouldn't be very elitist of me, would it?

quote:

So, it turns out that the PS3 is on its way. Anyone want to recommend any games for it? I have heard tell that Disgaea 3 is good, if I like that kind of thing (I do), and Demon's Souls appears to be good. I'll forewarn everyone though-- while I will gladly struggle through some Japanese games, I can read little or no Japanese, so things like heavy-duty RPGs are out.

I've been wanting to try out Demon's Souls myself, but I don't have the money I used to, and I've had too many other games to buy. Looks like something I'd enjoy quite a bit, though. Urgh...that reminds me, I need to get back to Armored Core 4A.

Erm...guess there aren't a lot of exclusives to recommend for PS3 (not that exclusives are that big of a deal). Valkyria Chronicles is quite excellent, though.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Mozex
359th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):general PS3 talk" , posted Mon 16 Mar 06:17post reply

Am I the only one tempted to get a 720 television instead of a 1080 television right now since almost no 360/PS3 games run at 1080?

quote:

Pros:
-Hey, new game system
-Downloadable games look good
-Some versions can be gotten with backward compatibility
-No region protection (still true?)

Cons:
-Lots of games are also available on XBox 360, which I already have
-Just don't know many games of interest still
-Expensive
-Many models do not, apparently, still support backward compatibility

I don't think of the new models support backward compatibility. You'd have to get one of the older ones off ebay, and my understanding is people are really price-gouging for them. Also, the backward compatibility on these models is not as good as PS2-PS1 was, there are a few weird graphics issues.

If you want to play 2D fighters I recommend getting a Japanese PS2 and importing.

Be kind to goblins.

Mozex
360th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):general PS3 talk" , posted Mon 16 Mar 06:23post reply

quote:

But can you read their moves?

That's not a problem. Reading the super-dinky font makes it impossible to see who I'm playing against and I have to get off the couch to navigate the menus on my 27" CRT.

Until recently I've been using my PS3 on my old roommate's HD set and I'm sorely disappointed by the entire experience of PS3 on my SD set.

Mega Man 9 looks good ...

Be kind to goblins.

Pollyanna
2660th Post

"Re(2):general PS3 talk" , posted Mon 16 Mar 09:11post reply

quote:
Am I the only one tempted to get a 720 television instead of a 1080 television right now since almost no 360/PS3 games run at 1080?

Yeah, I think the only game I have that supports 1080 is Disgaea 3? Hahaha...

Still, I would recommend getting a 1080p TV if possible, for video stuff and to eliminate any possible regret in the future. You just have to shop around (and be patient) for the best deal. It's quite common to see 1080p TVs for the same price as 720s if you hold out for the right sale. If it was a $500 difference, I could see going for the cheaper model, but I can't see the point when a little patience will get you something better for essentially the same price.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Freeter
4445th Post

"Re(3):general PS3 talk" , posted Mon 16 Mar 10:05post reply

1080p is only worth getting for bigger screens, isn't it? I settled for a 26" 720p since it's only going to reside in my room and I probably wouldn't notice much difference.

Ishmael
3432th Post

"Re(7):general PS3 talk" , posted Mon 16 Mar 22:30post reply

Choosing between 720 and 1080 is probably more about the size of the set then anything else. Do they even make 1080 sets for the 26" range? If you are buying a television that's large enough to double as a futon then you probably should go with the best resolution you can but when it comes to the more petite sizes I'm not certain if there's a difference or if you even have a choice in the matter.

quote:
Joke aside, nowadays to move on HDTV's is crazy, theyre still selling non-fullhd HDTV and there are new technology coming over Lazer-Vue and 3D ones and OLED's so its a bit risky for the ones like us whos not filthy rich...
I'm hoping for nnot so unreliable market, and a format to buy without regret.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'm speaking locally. So that might not make sense when you dont consider that.

Speaking of local issues, a television station near me recently dropped their analog signal in favor of a full digital broadcast. The day before the switch the station's news service ran a report telling viewers what they needed to do in order to receive the new signal. The day after the switch the news service ran a report telling viewers what to do if they could not see the digital signal that the station was now exclusively being broadcast in. It was the finest piece of televised journalism I've seen in some time.

Oroch
1056th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):general PS3 talk" , posted Tue 17 Mar 14:53post reply

quote:
1080p is only worth getting for bigger screens, isn't it? I settled for a 26" 720p since it's only going to reside in my room and I probably wouldn't notice much difference.

Aye they do make 26's in 1080p

ive got a samsung 26 that doubles as my monitor and an hdtv as well

T-series i think

Freeter
4447th Post

"Re(5):general PS3 talk" , posted Thu 19 Mar 04:10:post reply

quote:
Aye they do make 26's in 1080p

Got my TV in yesterday, turns out it can display 1080p despite being advertised as a 720p.

Now I can play RE5 without squinting.

[this message was edited by Freeter on Thu 19 Mar 04:12]

Mozex
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):general PS3 talk" , posted Sat 21 Mar 12:53post reply

quote:

Got my TV in yesterday, turns out it can display 1080p despite being advertised as a 720p.

Now I can play RE5 without squinting.

Lots of 720P sets can accept a 1080p signal and will process the image to convert it to 720P before displaying it. That generally leads to image processing lag and de-scaling errors. Setup your console to output at 720P for the best experience.

Be kind to goblins.

karasu99
109th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):general PS3 talk" , posted Thu 9 Apr 05:18post reply

So, I finally got my long-awaited PS3, for those who care.

It's... better looking than the Xbox360, meaning both the console and what's onscreen. I keep finding things that I think Sony has done better than Microsoft did, like the aesthetics of the main menu screen, the soft orchestral music, the fonts used, the lack of outrageous advertising in the store, a generally more harmonious group of colors, a more comprehensive settings grouping, the use of actual currency in the store as opposed to 'ms points' or whatever (so that you can easily tell the value of a game, as opposed to MS and Nintendo's systems where they skew the value of a points to dollars, so you can get the illusion that you're spending less than you actually are), the ability to swap out the hard drive for a larger one without automatically voiding the warranty or having to do a hack job or spending $100+ for a drive that you buy for $20, the smaller controller, the built-in batteries and and ability to charge the controller on any device with USB 2.0 (and WITHOUT charging extra for the cable) on said controller, the sometimes reasonably low prices for game add-ons that should be priced as such, the generally better looking graphics overall, the built in wireless (again, rather than the $100+ accessory), the built-in Blu-Ray, the overall nicer drive bay, the design that is not quite as evocative as a 1998-era Compaq computer, and... well, a bunch of things I've probably forgotten.

Some might say that sure the PS3 has more stuff built-in than the 360-- it retails for a higher price. BUT, that's an awful lot of extra stuff for $399 (this is the 80GB model).

So, to conclude, I'm really happy with the PS3. Much happier than I thought I would be, back at launch day when it was priced ridiculously and was suffering the usual stupidly short-sighted shortages that Sony always has (and probably always will have). I would have bought one much sooner if not for these two (now overcome) problems.

Oh, one last thing: I got Little Big Planet, RE5, and Dynasty Warriors 6, and I will certainly buy Disgaea 3 before long. Anyone have any suggestions for relatively English-friendly imports? I'll assume that I should immediately buy Demons Souls, so OTHER than that one.

Maou
1620th Post

"Re(8):general PS3 talk" , posted Thu 9 Apr 05:42post reply

quote:
like the aesthetics of the main menu screen, the soft orchestral music, the fonts used, the lack of outrageous advertising in the store, a generally more harmonious group of colors, a more comprehensive settings grouping, the use of actual currency in the store as opposed to 'ms points' or whatever
This is more or less what separates the Japanese graphic design/visual aesthetics from its American counterpart, both in most games and in most graphic design/PR in general. The sensibility towards good graphic design is just so much rarer in the States, I've found. Hard to put my finger on it, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a Japanese product design with as much "ooze green" involved as Microsoft's Xbox line, for instance.

karasu99
110th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):general PS3 talk" , posted Thu 9 Apr 07:08post reply

quote:
Hard to put my finger on it, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a Japanese product design with as much "ooze green" involved as Microsoft's Xbox line, for instance.

And it's a shame, since I remember having some excitement regarding MS's choice to make the 360 mostly white, as opposed to black, which for years has been a sort of artificial locus of edginess in the States for a long time.

nobinobita
503th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):general PS3 talk" , posted Thu 9 Apr 08:11post reply

I agree, Japanese design is pretty top notch across the board. Just about every professional product I've seen from Japan has been extremely well thought out (at least esthetically).

quote:
Hard to put my finger on it, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a Japanese product design with as much "ooze green" involved as Microsoft's Xbox line, for instance.

http://www.strapya-world.com/images/world/img10063680107.jpg

Maou
1621th Post

"Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Thu 9 Apr 08:49post reply

quote:

http://www.strapya-world.com/images/world/img10063680107.jpg

Microsoft Japan should start advertising with this guy ASAP. It's already better than the old ads with Tokio (Tokio??!).

TrickyNishidake
24th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):general PS3 talk" , posted Thu 9 Apr 09:10post reply

quote:

Oh, one last thing: I got Little Big Planet, RE5, and Dynasty Warriors 6, and I will certainly buy Disgaea 3 before long. Anyone have any suggestions for relatively English-friendly imports? I'll assume that I should immediately buy Demons Souls, so OTHER than that one.

This isn't an import, but I suggest playing Drake's Fortune, I find it to be quite the complete package. Fun story, interesting characters, satisfying gameplay, a couple puzzles. Unfortunately, I don't think it's any cheaper more than a year after release though.

Maou
1622th Post

"Re(8):general PS3 talk" , posted Thu 9 Apr 09:44post reply

quote:
and I will certainly buy Disgaea 3 Flow(er) right away so help me god before long.

There we go.

Ishmael
3450th Post

"Re(9):general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 10 Apr 00:09post reply

quote:
This is more or less what separates the Japanese graphic design/visual aesthetics from its American counterpart, both in most games and in most graphic design/PR in general. The sensibility towards good graphic design is just so much rarer in the States, I've found. Hard to put my finger on it, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a Japanese product design with as much "ooze green" involved as Microsoft's Xbox line, for instance.

When I bought a second-hand XBox it came with a green semi-translucent controller that looked like a solidified hunk of Mountain Dew. Considering the way the XBox was marketed and the culture that surrounded it that controller seemed appropriate.

karasu99
112th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 10 Apr 02:58post reply

quote:
and I will certainly buy Disgaea 3 Flow(er) right away so help me god before long.
There we go.

Oh, trust me, Flow(er) was the first thing I bought. The procedurally generated grass alone was worth the price. Then I got Noby Noby Boy, which is good, weird fun.

quote:
When I bought a second-hand XBox it came with a green semi-translucent controller that looked like a solidified hunk of Mountain Dew. Considering the way the XBox was marketed and the culture that surrounded it that controller seemed appropriate.

Yeah, the XBox was something of a low point in terms of US game marketing. It was all "EXTREEEEEME!!!" and "SURRRGE!!!". At least they have calmed down some from those days.

Mokona
469th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 10 Apr 06:58post reply

quote:

This isn't an import, but I suggest playing Drake's Fortune, I find it to be quite the complete package. Fun story, interesting characters, satisfying gameplay, a couple puzzles. Unfortunately, I don't think it's any cheaper more than a year after release though.

It came with my PS3, and although it's not that long, it's an awesome game, great to show you what the system is capable of.
I'll definitely play through it a second time soon.

In a word, I also highly recommend it.

I just bought flOwer for my wife, and I'm happy to say that it's well worth the $9.99.

Blah!

Maou
1624th Post

"Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Fri 10 Apr 08:33post reply

quote:
There we go.

Oh, trust me, Flow(er) was the first thing I bought. The procedurally generated grass alone was worth the price. Then I got Noby Noby Boy, which is good, weird fun.

Yeah, the XBox was something of a low point in terms of US game marketing. It was all "EXTREEEEEME!!!" and "SURRRGE!!!". At least they have calmed down some from those days.

One day, they may even make a directional pad where you can...control the directions. Given that you have a 25% chance of going in the direction that you press, I'm convinced that it's actually just a 4 in 1 toss-up rather than a direct input.

Much flOwer love, good to hear!

KTallguy
1088th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Tue 21 Apr 22:48post reply

Have you bought Demon's Souls yet? It's such an awesome game. Niche as hell, but totally awesome. If you ever want to play online, my JP PSN is Hunter-KT. You'll need to find a stone so that I can summon you into my game though :)

Play to win.

karasu99
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Wed 22 Apr 02:21post reply

quote:
Have you bought Demon's Souls yet? It's such an awesome game. Niche as hell, but totally awesome. If you ever want to play online, my JP PSN is Hunter-KT. You'll need to find a stone so that I can summon you into my game though :)

I haven't gotten it yet, but it will probably be the next game I get within the next month or so. Plus I still have to figure out how to set up my JP PSN account.

I've been super busy playing Resident Evil 5 though. It's good, but I always have that problem at the beginning of Resident Evil games where I don't know what the hell I'm doing at the start of the game and nearly die during the easiest part of the game, leaving myself at a significant disadvantage going into the rest of the game, which I ultimately find pretty easy. It's like I should just carelessly play through the first half hour to learn my way around the controls and then start over. Plus, managing Sheva or whatever her name is kind of a pain sometimes. I'm hoping that part becomes more intuitive as I go on. Anyone have any advice on control schemes, etc.?

KTallguy
1091th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Wed 22 Apr 11:47post reply

My best advice is to find someone else to play it with, because the Sheva AI is balls.

Play to win.

Juan
4508th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Wed 22 Apr 12:28post reply

quote:

Demon's Souls is pretty nice. There is no greater heads up that an area is going to be difficult than when you see a bunch of blood stains where other people online died.

PSN is Buttermonster if anyone wants to play. Althought im still pretty lowbie and the next couple of weeks are going to be kind of busy.

ktallguy
1098th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Mon 4 May 18:01post reply

Beat Demon's Souls yesterday.

One of the best gaming experiences ever. It was really really so much fun. Overcoming a single boss in this game feels like beating the final boss in most games.
It's really the "Megaman" of dungeon crawlers.

Play to win.

Variable Savior
465th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Tue 5 May 10:29post reply

quote:
My best advice is to find someone else to play it with, because the Sheva AI is balls.

Oh god is that accurate. I swear she actually gets worse near the end of the game. You should get a trophy just for putting up with her arse...

On a separate note:

I'll looking to get a headset for the PS3 - anyone have any suggestions? I usually go with the 'official' release for such accessories (since they tend to last and work on future versions of the console) - is the Sony bluetooth headset the way to go?

Blood marks heaven's path

ktallguy
1099th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Tue 5 May 10:45post reply

I would get the Sony headset simply for reliability's sake. You can use any old bluetooth headset lying around, but it's not guaranteed that it will work.

Play to win.

Mozex
365th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Tue 5 May 12:24post reply

quote:
I'll looking to get a headset for the PS3 - anyone have any suggestions?

I've heard many people recommend the sony one because it works very well, has a nice little charging stand, and can apparently be used as a microphone while it's on the charging base.

I just synched the earpiece I got for my phone and called it a day. It seems to work well, but I haven't tested it in a game yet.

Be kind to goblins.

Mozex
366th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Tue 5 May 12:27post reply

While I'm thinking about charging, do the newer PS3's still cut all power to the USB ports while not turned on. It's annoying as all hell to have to leave my console on to charge controllers - I'm considering getting a powered USB hub and sticking it behind the couch.

Be kind to goblins.

Freeter
4453th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Tue 5 May 23:02post reply

quote:
While I'm thinking about charging, do the newer PS3's still cut all power to the USB ports while not turned on. It's annoying as all hell to have to leave my console on to charge controllers - I'm considering getting a powered USB hub and sticking it behind the couch.

Just charge it through your PC. That's what I do.

Mokona
473th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Wed 6 May 01:41:post reply

quote:
Just charge it through your PC. That's what I do.

My wife insisted, and I bought a 10 ft. USB cable for $9.99 and I game while I'm charging. (She was all "why the hell would they force people to use wireless controllers, I like my controller wired")

The sixaxis stuff can get a little weird with the cable, but it's nothing that you can't manage.

*Edit@Mozex* Yes, I got the 160Go (I guess it's one of the newer SKUs) and the USB is off if the console is off.

Blah!

[this message was edited by Mokona on Wed 6 May 23:55]

Mozex
368th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Thu 7 May 15:27post reply

quote:

My wife insisted, and I bought a 10 ft. USB cable for $9.99 and I game while I'm charging. (She was all "why the hell would they force people to use wireless controllers, I like my controller wired")

*Edit@Mozex* Yes, I got the 160Go (I guess it's one of the newer SKUs) and the USB is off if the console is off.

The great thing about this story is that the controller is still probably communicating wirelessly and just getting power from the USB ports. I know 360 controllers work that way - I'd assume sixaxis/dualshock3 do as well simply because it would be more work to add the wired communication feature.

I'm quite impressed with the 360's ability to power the USB ports until the controller is done charging if you shut the console down after tethering.

Be kind to goblins.

Grave
1162th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):general PS3 talk" , posted Sat 9 May 04:35post reply

quote:
I'm quite impressed with the 360's ability to power the USB ports until the controller is done charging if you shut the console down after tethering.

I had no clue that it could do this! That's awesome. Not awesome enough to justify still not including built-in wireless, but still!