"Watchmen" , posted Sun 8 Mar 11:09post reply

ITT spoilers

Replies:

Juke Joint Jezebel
3650th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Watchmen" , posted Sun 8 Mar 11:13post reply

all i've gotta say is i've gotta see this damn movie again. i pulled three all-nighters before watching this and fell asleep during some vital parts, like Rorschach's death

and i think it's worth seeing for the intro alone, when they play The Time's Are A-Changin

ONSLAUGHT
3798th Post

"Who watches the Shuang?" , posted Sun 8 Mar 15:15post reply

quote:
all i've gotta say is i've gotta see this damn movie again. i pulled three all-nighters before watching this and fell asleep during some vital parts, like Rorschach's death

and i think it's worth seeing for the intro alone, when they play The Time's Are A-Changin

Spoilers ahead!

The movie was great. Even though it's almost 3 hours long, I felt it was too short, many subplots were left out, and I'm not talking about the Black Freighter comic, or the Under the Hood articles, I'm talking about stuff like how the psychiatrist was disturbed by Kovacs and the explanation of how he got his mask, the death of the first Nite Owl and how Dr. Manhattan tells Adrian that "nothing ever ends" foreshadowing that The New Frontiersman guy is going to pick Rorschach journal thus undoing everything Veidt did to achieve peace.

Some things were changed, obviously the ending is the first thing that comes to mind, but they never explain what Bubastis is (tied with the Squid in the comic), they had Rorschach find his "face" while escaping prison instead of getting another one at his apartment (and the ensuing exchange with his landlady), the Dr. Manhattan origin in which he just simply goes back to retrieve his watch, instead of being his girl's repaired watch,; the child killer getting stabbed instead of burned, and the end where Nite Owl watches when Rorschach gets killed by Jon and then proceding to punch the crap out of Veidt.

Sounds very negative, but I really liked the movie, I can't wait for the innevitable extended Bluray edition.

Spoon
1738th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Who watches the Shuang?" , posted Sun 8 Mar 16:15post reply

quote:
where Nite Owl watches when Rorschach gets killed by Jon and then proceding to punch the crap out of Veidt.

wait wtf seriously

don't tell me Veidt pulls some kind of, "You can beat on me all you want but it won't make a difference HAHAHAHAHHAHA" thing

Juke Joint Jezebel
3652th Post

"Re(1):Who watches the Shuang?" , posted Sun 8 Mar 21:01:post reply

i was pretty sad that the Rorschach mask story wasn't included. after the movie, i had to explain to my friends that Rorschach wasn't a superhero like Doc Manhattan, and that he was just wearing a special kind of fabric on his face. speaking of Rorschach, one of the huge things i was looking forward to was him jamming that cigarette into that kid's eye. i was also disappointed that they didn't include the death of the first Nite Owl. if anything in the comic pissed me off, it was his needless death, and it would have also been a nice extra scene to help show how much the world's gone to shit

even though the movie was fantastic, we whine because movies can never satisfy us the way the books can. things have to be changed if they want a successful movie

anyways, i found the opening sequence on youtube. go watch it before corporate America takes it down!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHdjchPkvdI

and if you live in one of those special countries, you just might be able to watch a better version of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhxjvSL1aPk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j7O9MyYleo

[this message was edited by Juke Joint Jezebel on Sun 8 Mar 21:13]

Sensenic
1668th Post

"Re(2):Who watches the Shuang?" , posted Mon 9 Mar 05:45post reply

quote:

+1!

My opinion overall, see ONSLAUGHT.

I think it was a rather unnecessary but very well done delicious fanservice candy for those who've read the comic: seeing memorable scenes from the comic in movement was fantastic.

I say "Unnecessary" because the adaptation was so literal they just took things out of it... The heavy cutting of Rorschach's chapter (of all) was what hurt me the most. It was the chapter that had the biggest impact on me in the original.
Whatever, all in all it doesn't add up anything and watching it instead of the comic just won't do.

Then again, if at least it motivated/s people to read it, maybe it'll have served some "bigger" purpose.

quote:

wait wtf seriously

don't tell me Veidt pulls some kind of, "You can beat on me all you want but it won't make a difference HAHAHAHAHHAHA" thing

No, I was scared at first too, but it was a minor change in the end. I think it's still in-character for Dan, and Veidt doesn't act evil-overlord-y either, he just patiently takes the hits, waiting for him to calm down.

quote:
i was pretty sad that the Rorschach mask story wasn't included. after the movie, i had to explain to my friends that Rorschach wasn't a superhero like Doc Manhattan, and that he was just wearing a special kind of fabric on his face.

Ah, I used that on my favor: a friend also asked me what was that mask, but I took the chance to tell him "go read the comic ò_ó "

quote:
Some things were changed, obviously the ending is the first thing that comes to mind, but they never explain what Bubastis is (tied with the Squid in the comic)

This one change I actually liked it... It was actually more verosimile for the "outer menace" to be the already-known-by-mankind Doc than some generic alien attack.
Of course, then there's Bubastis' issue. I take it they chose to keep her out of hommage... and maybe in order to make people ask, so they can be told "go read the comic" too. :p

貧乳神・・・

"Don't give me that crap about real life. There ain't no such animal."
-Felix Leiter-

Ishmael
3426th Post

"Re(3):Who watches the Shuang?" , posted Mon 9 Mar 06:46post reply

After watching it I'm still not certain what I think of the whole endeavor. The whole movie came across like a cover band that blares loudly through sections that the original artist played with subtly. I'm glad I saw it and it's fascinating that somebody actually made the film but I don't know if that means that I liked it or not. Oh well, this will give me something to cinematically chew on for awhile if nothing else.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

I did like the mean-spirited addition of having Lee Iacocca getting shot between the eyes. In a movie that was produced to within an inch of its life it was nice to see a cheap joke tossed in there like that just for the hell of it.

End of Spoiler

Megane
451th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Who watches the Shuang?" , posted Mon 9 Mar 14:40post reply

quote:
i was also disappointed that they didn't include the death of the first Nite Owl. if anything in the comic pissed me off, it was his needless death, and it would have also been a nice extra scene to help show how much the world's gone to shit

I remember that it was also a defining moment for Nite Owl II (Rorschach too, I think, did he stop Nite Owl from killing the dude?).

I think Veidt allowing to get hit at the end is, for him, some way to atone for what he did? He treats his pain as punishment or some sort?

I liked what I've seen, even though it's impossible to commit everything in the graphic novel to the screen. I kinda had to explain to my non-comic book savvy friends that the heroes, barring Big Blue, really didn't have powers, and their bone crunching, high jumping, wall breaking attacks were just stylization for cool points.

ONSLAUGHT
3799th Post

"Sequel announced!" , posted Tue 10 Mar 15:33post reply

Here!

Hagen de Merak
1002th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Watchmen" , posted Wed 11 Mar 09:27post reply

*spoilers ahead*

First off, I have to admit I thought the comic was ok, wasn't really my cup of tea. With that being said, I thought the movie did a pretty good job representing it, well at least compared to most comic to film adaptations. My only real complaint was the ending of the movie, putting the blame on Dr. Manhattan, rather than staging an "alien" attack like in the comic. Other than that, pretty good. I recommend it to anyone whose a fan of the comic.

Sensenic
1670th Post

"Re(1):Official game released!" , posted Wed 11 Mar 17:32:post reply

quote:
Here!

Almost as true to the original:
Here!

EDIT: Scanlines!

貧乳神・・・

"Don't give me that crap about real life. There ain't no such animal."