Fighting game code: old vs new - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1803 Views )

karasu99
89th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Occasional Customer

"Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Thu 5 Mar 08:39post reply

While playing around with some older NeoGeo games lately on the PS2 (specifically Art of Fighting 1 and 2) I was struck by the vast gulf in control precision present in these older games, versus newer titles like the King of Fighters. It started me thinking about what is responsible for the difference-- and it's not something only just noticed; anyone who has played the first Fatal Fury knows how hard it is to consistently perform special moves. Granted, part of the problem might have been the arcade joysticks and the rough treatment they received, but playing through these games on the PS2 makes it clear that the games have stiffer control response, even with a nicely maintained Hori joystick like I'm using.

So this leads me to believe that it's an issue of how the control is implemented in the game-- perhaps making the detection of player input more forgiving in newer titles? Clearly SNK had figured the control scheme out by... let's say KOF94, where fairly complex moves can be performed pretty easily. What I'm interested in is what those adjustments were, although it may even stretch the otherwise broad bounds of the esoteric here on this board.

Does anyone else here share my obscure interest? I'm sure someone somewhere has reverse-engineered some of SNK's fighting game code, given the amount of sprite-ripping, emulation, and decompiling that goes on in the world, but a cursory Google search doesn't turn up much in English, so I thought perhaps someone knew a little more of the details form the Japanese-language world. For that matter, does anyone know what SNK used to code games on the NeoGeo?

Replies:

hikarutilmitt
490th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Thu 5 Mar 09:29post reply

Actually, this sort of thing interests, me as well. One of the biggest (or at least most noticeable) culprits to me has always been Mortal Kombat.

The arcade always felt perfectly fine and smooth, no delays or any sort of weirdness, yet any home version (and I mean ANY) would always feel laggy or kind of stiff. Not the kind of stiff where it had to be very precise (even though that's true too) but the kind where it felt like you had to somehow put extra pressure on the pad/stick at home to get anything to work, even though it really wasn't necessary.

The strangest thing about this is that even when they went the home release only route since Deadly Alliance they STILL felt this way. The only one that seems to not suffer from this, oddly, is Shaolin Monks.

Toxico
4710th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Thu 5 Mar 09:55post reply

quote:
anyone who has played the first Fatal Fury knows how hard it is to consistently perform special moves.

Atemi > out door sex.

I see you haven't tried to get hadokens and shoeyukens on SF1. It needs extreme accuracy.

quote:

So this leads me to believe that it's an issue of how the control is implemented in the game-- perhaps making the detection of player input more forgiving in newer titles? Clearly SNK had figured the control scheme out by... let's say KOF94

I always used to try to get the most accurated secuences for the moves (me is southpaw ), so I remember that in 94', when people did on '94 to get Benimaru's super, I couldn't get it constantly... However, when I realized through magazines that the actual move secuence was I could get it every time, even with faster than the people that did the other secuence.

I have never, in my life, performed shoryukens as , only on certain crappy snes games, where that secuence is the "correct" one, and doesn't exist (like the TMNT tournament fighters).

Well, while not exactly on topic, but I remember that by the time that real bout 2 came out there it was a huge uproar due to fucking up almost every DM move secuence to a stupid universal method. I remember reading on this very same boards, long before Iggy was born (well, technically it was other, in other server, but you understand me by now). That said change was at the request of some arcade operators that reported 'miss use' from the players to the arcade sticks. Dunno how truthful is that. I do think that in that year (98) was pretty much the... begginging of "hard" to do move secuences. KoF had easy inputs for a while, but most of the other sagas that had hard to do moves, started to.... well.... banish into thin air.

I don't know what kind of encoding was used for the mvs, but I bet people like chazmaru or rugal have the info right under their pillows.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 03/03/09 (99 personajes) <- se agregó Nameless

karasu99
91th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Thu 5 Mar 11:00post reply

hikarutilmitt, Mortal Kombat was for me much harder to perform the moves than Street Fighter/KOF. I think there are those who feel just the opposite, that it's SF/KOF that is imprecise feeling. Honestly though, SNES era ports were awful, control wise, across the board.

quote:

Atemi > out door sex.

I see you haven't tried to get hadokens and shoeyukens on SF1. It needs extreme accuracy.

That's for sure. SF1 is a much better example, actually, since it was SO early. FF1 is easy in comparison.

quote:

I have never, in my life, performed shoryukens as , only on certain crappy snes games, where that secuence is the "correct" one, and doesn't exist (like the TMNT tournament fighters).

Well, this touches on the fact that (like with Zangief's Spinning Piledriver) only a certain number of the key positions need to be met in sequence. I had a similar realization after years of only being able to do the piledriver with a 360 motion, before reading about the 'shortened' version. As for the Shouryuken, I had much more success with myself-- maybe that's why I'm a relatively poor player compared to some, as I blindly slam at the control.

I'm not sure exactly when this came about. It almost seems (and here I'll pick on AOF1 again) that a slower (or faster?) input speed is needed relative to the speed of the game itself, rather than a more complex or complete number of key positions being input.
quote:

Well, while not exactly on topic, but I remember that by the time that real bout 2 came out there it was a huge uproar due to fucking up almost every DM move secuence to a stupid universal method. I remember reading on this very same boards, long before Iggy was born (well, technically it was other, in other server, but you understand me by now). That said change was at the request of some arcade operators that reported 'miss use' from the players to the arcade sticks. Dunno how truthful is that. I do think that in that year (98) was pretty much the... begginging of "hard" to do move secuences. KoF had easy inputs for a while, but most of the other sagas that had hard to do moves, started to.... well.... banish into thin air.

I recall hearing the same thing, and it was unfortunate because it's part of what kept Real Bout 2 from being the very best game play of the RB sub-series. I wonder of it had to do with increasing complexity and complaints in that regard, especially at a time like that when arcades still had a little life remaining.
quote:

I don't know what kind of encoding was used for the mvs, but I bet people like chazmaru or rugal have the info right under their pillows.

I thought there might be some individuals here who would know much more than I ever wanted to know on the subject, so I'm glad a few want to discuss it. Hopefully one of those named will arrive with the information before too long. I'm also hoping that one of those powerful people can also direct me to code examples, but I might have to bargain away my soul for that level of detail. At least then I would be able to know for sure what the answer to my question is.

Iron D
3179th Post

"Re(3):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Thu 5 Mar 13:42post reply

Well, this is also slightly off-topic, but I wonder about the KoF collection. Now, I realize that Capcom's and SNK's move inputs have always been different (generally it seems to me that SNK's were harder to perform...with exceptions), but it seems getting moves to work with consistency in any of the games on the KoF Orochi collection is harder than it should be.

For example, I can rarely get the double fireball motion to work when my character is facing to the right (it works roughly once per round) but I can get it to work semi-regularly when my character is facing to the left. This is odd, because I typically have an easier time performing moves when my character is facing right (me being right-handed and all). It's to the point where I wonder if the ports are bad and/or there is some kind of glitch going on.

Compare the above with the SF Alpha collection, where I have few problems getting anything to work (including 720s and the Super Flash Kick "Triangle" motion)

On the other hand, I have no problem getting all of the moves to work in KoFXI.

Anybody else have problems with the inputs for KoF Orochi Collection?

Er.....

CharlesProphony
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Thu 5 Mar 14:19:post reply

quote:

Sometime ago I've been messing up with mame and some ooold fighting games... And I was surprised about the possibility of how the matter of difficulty is controlled on the game...

On default, just trying a hadouken takes you to a button mashing odyssey, but after losing the "n"th time to sagat, I just looked at the dipswitch config(yeah, no service menus at the time) and configured it to easy... From 7 tries mashing buttons, it started to miraculously spit fireballs almost like SF2. Make the command, ball flying, hit enemy, 35%dmg or something like that. And about dragon punches? Yeah, I think I know where snk got the idea for cheap bosses...

And Sagat became a piece of cake... Well, at least if he hasn't started with tiger rain and you end up dead with just 2 hits...

Ex-Prophony

[this message was edited by CharlesProphony on Thu 5 Mar 14:20]

Toxico
4711th Post

"Re(4):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Thu 5 Mar 14:23post reply

quote:

If I remember correctly, every pre 2000 KoF game where (in)famous for having incredibly stiff controls that needed a lot of practice.... I think people even game it a name, kinda like the "SNK boss syndrome" is for the toughness of the game, name which I can't really recall right now.

There it where many "train your inputs" FAQs back in the say. Of course, there is also the fact that the games where made and tested for the Neo Geo arcade controller, which was excellent from what I heard; and that translated that in other type of controllers, things where hard to get.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 03/03/09 (99 personajes) <- se agregó Nameless

Iron D
3180th Post

"Re(5):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Thu 5 Mar 18:04post reply

quote:

If I remember correctly, every pre 2000 KoF game where (in)famous for having incredibly stiff controls that needed a lot of practice.... I think people even game it a name, kinda like the "SNK boss syndrome" is for the toughness of the game, name which I can't really recall right now.

There it where many "train your inputs" FAQs back in the say. Of course, there is also the fact that the games where made and tested for the Neo Geo arcade controller, which was excellent from what I heard; and that translated that in other type of controllers, things where hard to get.

Really? I hadn't heard of this until now...although that would explain why I'm having such a hard time perfectly.

Does this mean that KoF 98UM controls more like the recent KoFs, since it was made specifically for non-Neo Geo consoles?

Er.....

Pollyanna
2652th Post

"Re(6):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Thu 5 Mar 18:19post reply

quote:

Really? I hadn't heard of this until now...although that would explain why I'm having such a hard time perfectly.

Does this mean that KoF 98UM controls more like the recent KoFs, since it was made specifically for non-Neo Geo consoles?

Yes. I haven't played the game extensively (I've had enough 98 for a lifetime, thank you), but I don't recall it having the old port problems of bad loading time and horrid controls.

Well, I say "horrid", but the mileage varies. The later PS2 KOF games had "kind of off" controls if I remember, but like...KOF 98 on PS is an absolute nightmare.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iron D
3181th Post

"Re(7):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Thu 5 Mar 22:35post reply

quote:

Yes. I haven't played the game extensively (I've had enough 98 for a lifetime, thank you), but I don't recall it having the old port problems of bad loading time and horrid controls.

Ah. It warms my heart to hear this. Thanks, Pollyanna.

Er.....

karasu99
92th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(3):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Fri 6 Mar 01:28post reply

quote:
I just looked at the dipswitch config(yeah, no service menus at the time) and configured it to easy... From 7 tries mashing buttons, it started to miraculously spit fireballs almost like SF2. Make the command, ball flying, hit enemy, 35%dmg or something like that. And about dragon punches? Yeah, I think I know where snk got the idea for cheap bosses...

I had never noticed that, but maybe it's because I've been playing SF1 on the PS2 port. This points to SF1 having 'simplified' inputs accessible just like later games. AND it tends to make me think (along with Toxico-sama's suggestion of pre-2000 KOFs as having less forgiving controls) that this whole thing is by design, not by a trial and error process of over the years realizing what works and what doesn't in terms of how input is handled. Or probably a combination of both, since I'm guessing controls got easier in 2000 in response to player/operator/marketing complaints or comments.

That definition of SNK Boss Syndrome is different from what I had always assumed-- that it was a matter of the bosses and their outrageous movesets/priority/unforgiving AI rather than one of player control interfering with beating them, but it makes sense.

Spoon
1737th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Fri 6 Mar 06:42post reply

It's a well-known issue that in ST, not only is the window for special move input very tight, but it is somewhat random. They made the window larger and removed the randomness in HD Remix.

The thing is, the size of the window for doing special moves never shrinks to zero, so as long as you do it right and do it really fast, you will still get it all the time. If you do it a bit slower, you might find yourself blowing a tire at the precisely wrong moment, though. Maybe Capcom was thinking about something akin to "tripping" in Brawl, what with random failures tipping the scales of a fight, or at least injecting a burst of tension into it. Unfortunately, since a sufficiently practiced/skillful player will almost never have this problem, it becomes more a nuisance than anything else.

There are certainly tons of ways to implement a command parser. I remember when I first learned about regular expressions, I wondered "what would be the cost to run a bunch of these every 1/60th of a second...".

Amakusa
794th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Fri 6 Mar 13:49post reply

quote:

That definition of SNK Boss Syndrome is different from what I had always assumed-- that it was a matter of the bosses and their outrageous movesets/priority/unforgiving AI rather than one of player control interfering with beating them, but it makes sense.

No, that's what SNK Boss Syndrome is. The moveset thing has/had a different name that nobody seems to be able to come up with.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Maou
1608th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Sat 7 Mar 13:43post reply

Great thread! For my part, I've always wondered to myself what makes some inputs seem harder when they should be equal...conveniently for me and my rival/teacher in all things Street Fighter, he's always preferred playing on the right, while I prefer the 1P position. To this day, I find it infinitely easier to do a Shouryuuken from the left than the right, even though quarter circles are no problem from either direction.

Possibly of interest is that as a Zero series fan, I found Third Strike much more difficult to input commands. I don't know if this is a tougher engine (what with the precision of the counter system), the PS2 port (I doubt it, it seems great), or what, but I find that the inputs are immeasurably more picky on this game than on say Zero 3, a cousin from around the same time.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Mozex
358th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Sun 8 Mar 00:50post reply

quote:
Great thread! For my part, I've always wondered to myself what makes some inputs seem harder when they should be equal...conveniently for me and my rival/teacher in all things Street Fighter, he's always preferred playing on the right, while I prefer the 1P position. To this day, I find it infinitely easier to do a Shouryuuken from the left than the right, even though quarter circles are no problem from either direction.

Possibly of interest is that as a Zero series fan, I found Third Strike much more difficult to input commands. I don't know if this is a tougher engine (what with the precision of the counter system), the PS2 port (I doubt it, it seems great), or what, but I find that the inputs are immeasurably more picky on this game than on say Zero 3, a cousin from around the same time.

I'm the same way with the left/right thing, and it only gets worse when on a d-pad compared to a joystick.

I've not noticed any difficulty in doing motions on the arcade/ps2 versions of 3rd strike.

Be kind to goblins.

sabo10
1425th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Wed 11 Mar 11:17post reply

SFIV recognizes

as QCFx2

and

as SRK motion (good for doing SRKs from a crouch without giving it away by standing briefly)

Spoon
1739th Post

"Re(8):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Wed 11 Mar 12:26post reply

quote:
SFIV recognizes

as QCFx2

and

as SRK motion (good for doing SRKs from a crouch without giving it away by standing briefly)

Probably the funniest thing in SF4 is being able to do etc. while you are on the defense so that you buffer the motion for DP no matter how your opponent attempts to cross you up.

sabo10
1426th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(9):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Wed 11 Mar 14:32post reply

quote:
SFIV recognizes

as QCFx2

and

Probably the funniest thing in SF4 is being able to do etc. while you are on the defense so that you buffer the motion for DP no matter how your opponent attempts to cross you up.

In SFIV how the fuck do you do the

c.jab > c.jab > shoryuken

stuff?

The shoryuken never comes out for me, its always 3 jabs. What is the timing of the inputs?

Spoon
1740th Post

"Re(10):Fighting game code: old vs new" , posted Wed 11 Mar 18:10post reply

quote:

In SFIV how the fuck do you do the

c.jab > c.jab > shoryuken

stuff?

The shoryuken never comes out for me, its always 3 jabs. What is the timing of the inputs?

SF4 marks the return of the much-hated "rapid fire jabs are not cancellable" mechanic. So your options are to either link each jab/short of the combo, or chain the first few, then link into the last one, and then cancel the last one into whatever special/super you want.

So your combo would be like:
jab (link) jab (cancel) DP

Alternately, if you have the space to do it, you could do:
jab (rapid fire) jab (link) jab (cancel) DP