Original message (1298 Views )

nobinobita
480th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"Lost Planet 2" , posted Wed 25 Feb 09:53post reply

Just announced:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45849.html?type=

I'm really really damn excited for it after watching that video. It looks like next-gen Monster Hunter with guns and mechas. The multiplayer looks glorious. Plus it's nice to see a shooter where the people and environments and enemies are all distinct and colorful and cool looking.

The first Lost Planet was tons of fun. We've been playing it at my office for the past month. Surprisingly everyone likes it even more than Gears of War 2.

Replies:

Pollyanna
2647th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Lost Planet 2" , posted Wed 25 Feb 10:11post reply

quote:
It looks like next-gen Monster Hunter with guns and mechas.

Yeah, the video made me sad, because the first thing I thought was "Wow, that looks neat. I wish they would use some of these ideas on a next-gen Monster Hunter".

I don't dislike Lost Planet, but I think the legendarily bad plot has stuck with me more than anything else about it.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
481th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Lost Planet 2" , posted Wed 25 Feb 16:50post reply

quote:

I don't dislike Lost Planet, but I think the legendarily bad plot has stuck with me more than anything else about it.

The story was ... questionable, but the interesting setting and designs made up for that for me. I'm really excited about the multiplayer monster scaling stuff in the new one.

I bet the Wii Monster Hunter will have similar gameplay as well. I'm looking forward to both games. I think 2009 will be the best year for games in a very long time.

Oh also, have you heard about the Lost Planet Movie?

http://g4tv.com/e32008/videos/27228/Lost-Planet-Movie-David-Hayter-E3-Interview.html

I have my hopes up. I like David Hayter, and I have hope that this might be a fun sci fi movie along the lines of the original Predator or Aliens.

Ishmael
3414th Post

"Re(3):Lost Planet 2" , posted Thu 26 Feb 02:13post reply

I'm glad this topic came up since I was curious if Lost Planet was a franchise worth playing or not. The first game seemed to get decent buzz but I wasn't certain if that was because it was a good game or if there were simply so few games for the current generation of consoles at the time it came out that anything even halfway playable was given a passing grade.

Spoon
1733th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):Lost Planet 2" , posted Thu 26 Feb 04:46post reply

quote:

The story was ... questionable, but the interesting setting and designs made up for that for me. I'm really excited about the multiplayer monster scaling stuff in the new one.

I remember I tried to use the grappling hook on every single monster I could, and failing that, tried to climb onto the back of every single one that I could with the help of the terrain or one of the mechs/vehicles. I'm glad that that's been integrated as a normal part of the gameplay. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who wanted a shot at being a worm rider!

Burning Ranger
1595th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Lost Planet 2" , posted Sun 1 Mar 06:09post reply

quote:
I'm glad this topic came up since I was curious if Lost Planet was a franchise worth playing or not.

I found the game to be enjoyable, though at times frustrating and annoying. Movement is kind of sluggish, but still, it's good. And all that snow.

In fact, since they announced LP2, I've been tempted to replay the original.

For those who are interested, the PC version of LP is now $5 on Steam. Quite a bargain. Sale is only this weekend.

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Ishmael
3418th Post

"Re(5):Lost Planet 2" , posted Sun 1 Mar 06:59post reply

quote:

I found the game to be enjoyable, though at times frustrating and annoying. Movement is kind of sluggish, but still, it's good. And all that snow.

In fact, since they announced LP2, I've been tempted to replay the original.

For those who are interested, the PC version of LP is now $5 on Steam. Quite a bargain. Sale is only this weekend.

Thanks, it sounds like it's enjoyable even with some faults. Then again, how could any game that lets you ride around in robots and machine gun giant bugs not be enjoyable on some level?

ktallguy
1085th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(6):Lost Planet 2" , posted Mon 2 Mar 18:16post reply

LP is a very 'Japanese' shooter, almost like MGS4.
The fact that when you get shot and you're still alive, there is a large recoil animation and a falling animation, during which time you are invulnerable. Things like that make LP feel very different.

Also I still think LP1 has some of the most amazing explosions in a game ever.

I'm really excited that they are making this game, because I was pretty sad that Monster Hunter 3 went to Wii. Bringing in elements of MH and adding new environments and monsters, hell it's more accessible than Monster Hunter in many, many ways (for the western audience).

Very, very excited.

Play to win.

Burning Ranger
1598th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):Lost Planet 2" , posted Wed 4 Mar 10:47post reply

quote:

Thanks, it sounds like it's enjoyable even with some faults. Then again, how could any game that lets you ride around in robots and machine gun giant bugs not be enjoyable on some level?

Well it's also worth mentioning that for a while, online gameplay was decent. Of course, I'm judging this from some Xbox Live playtime I had on a Demo version of the original game before the actual release.

And the other description of it being a "Japanese" style shooter is correct. At times, it does feel like MGS4.

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

nobinobita
487th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Lost Planet 2" , posted Thu 5 Mar 13:43post reply

quote:

And the other description of it being a "Japanese" style shooter is correct. At times, it does feel like MGS4.

I have to second this, though I'd take it one step further and say it feels like an action console game. I feel like it's the modern equivalent of something like Turrican or Hagane, a fun action game with neat art where most of the fun comes in seeing what you will be facing next (it's more about exploration than addictive gameplay). It doesn't feel like a normal shooter at all (it's strange that "shooter" now means guy with gun in first or third person, and not a spaceship from top or side view).

It's a fun game though, and it's full of lots of nice little touches. The story is crap, but the setting is really well executed and more than makes up for the crummy story (though you might also feel that the crummy story is a waste of a good setting). The designs are really fun to look at, and the animation is excellent. The animation is very solid and improves the controls. Everything has an appropriate feeling of weight. Also, the monsters are really awesome. They've got really distinct designs, as if they crawled out of the Sagrada Familia (lots of elongated limbs and plantbud/honeycomb looking integument).

Also as ktallguy pointed out, Lost Planet has some of the most satisfying explosions in games.

And most importantly, sometimes when you shoot someone they will flail about firing wildly into the air before slumping over dead. Things like this make a game special.

Ishmael
3425th Post

"Re(8):Lost Planet 2" , posted Mon 9 Mar 02:56post reply

Because of this thread I picked up a copy of Lost Planet. Although I haven't spent a great deal of time with it I did enjoy what I've seen so far so thanks for the recommendation. The MMCafe BBS continues to provide me with all sorts of fun ways to waste my time. Speaking of which, while at the store I also saw a cheap copy of World Heroes Anthology. I didn't buy it but the fact I even looked twice at the box shows how well Toxico's thread did its job.