Anyone in Japan? Need a controller... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1184 Views )

Burning Ranger
1590th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Anyone in Japan? Need a controller..." , posted Sun 8 Feb 14:59post reply

Greetings true believers! I was wondering if anyone was currently visiting or living in Japan who could help me with something (I think Red Falcon mentioned he was going there, and the Prof is there too, if I'm not mistaken).

Question: At the plethora of used games stores there, is it possible to find a Sega Saturn PS2 controller or a PS2 ASCII Pad? I am struggling between buying a joystick, sticking with my PS2 controllers, or another option when playing my PS2 fighters. What I don't want to do is buy a stick for my PS2 and a stick for my Xbox 360. Then I question my dedication to fighting games: I play them casually, and wonder if I should get a stick at all.

Can anyone help me with my conundrum/issues?

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Replies:

Maou
1588th Post

"Re(1):Anyone in Japan? Need a controller..." , posted Sun 8 Feb 15:17post reply

Well, if you're in the States, you could also much more easily grab Udon's Saturn-style controllers. Some people say that they're not quite the same as the original Saturn-style PS2 controllers, but I think they seem awfully close, and they feel great. I can finally do 360's, to IronD's elation. Sadly, I still neglect Zangief. Anyway, this could be an easier answer to the problem, and you could get them with several different mediocre Udon works...I put the Chun Li one in the link because she is always the answer.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Iron D
3171th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Anyone in Japan? Need a controller..." , posted Mon 9 Feb 03:00post reply

quote:
Some people say that they're not quite the same as the original Saturn-style PS2 controllers, but I think they seem awfully close, and they feel great. I can finally do 360's, to IronD's elation. Sadly, I still neglect Zangief.

Speaking of which, I'm going into a bit of 360-based depression. My 360s just aren't working in SSF2THDR. My Giefs and Hawks are getting raped online, and I don't seem to be getting any better. One Ken beat my Gief by simply jumping back and forth doing jumping roundhouses. WTF? What does a Gief have to do to freaking anti-air around here?

Hopefully I'll be doing much better at SFIV since Gief seems to have more options (and I can pull off 360s more consistently).

Sorry for OT rant. I'll now step aside and let Ranger's search for a controller continue.

Er.....

Time Mage
2760th Post

"Re(3):Anyone in Japan? Need a controller..." , posted Mon 9 Feb 05:27post reply

quote:
Speaking of which, I'm going into a bit of 360-based depression. My 360s just aren't working in SSF2THDR. My Giefs and Hawks are getting raped online, and I don't seem to be getting any better. One Ken beat my Gief by simply jumping back and forth doing jumping roundhouses. WTF? What does a Gief have to do to freaking anti-air around here?

I'm not an expert at all, but... Punch Lariat from crouch, maybe? Maybe the extra time you can wait while crouched will make the Lariat hit clean, or at least trade.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Toxico
4666th Post

"Re(3):Anyone in Japan? Need a controller..." , posted Mon 9 Feb 05:50post reply

quote:
One Ken beat my Gief by simply jumping back and forth doing jumping roundhouses. WTF? What does a Gief have to do to freaking anti-air around here?

Heh, actually your best anti air choices are doing a far standing strong punch from afar, or a from really close. However, with both moves you will most likely trade hits with the shoto. Your goal should be stunning them first, but you need to land more attacks for that to happen. When they'll start launching fireballs instead, you'll be subjected then to a whole new different circle of hell. Not to mention the stupid cripple your character becomes when they start playing seriously Blanka or Honda.

On topic -> Are Udon's arcade sticks any good? or are there other good, decent, better options out there? The sticks wouldn't be 'focused' in one game, but rather will be used for several titles and plataforms (with ps2 as a basis). Can anyone care enough share possitive or negarive comments?

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 28/01/09 (96 personajes)

Burning Ranger
1592th Post

"Re(4):Anyone in Japan? Need a controller..." , posted Mon 9 Feb 11:56post reply

quote:

On topic -> Are Udon's arcade sticks any good? or are there other good, decent, better options out there? The sticks wouldn't be 'focused' in one game, but rather will be used for several titles and plataforms (with ps2 as a basis). Can anyone care enough share possitive or negarive comments?

I have one of the Udon pads mentioned, and it's decent. I managed to buy it from a Gamestop on sale ($5 new!) and I can do a lot of moves on it...I have problems with DP's though.

I also have a Guilty Gear XX special edition ASCII Pad (with a 3/2 button setup). It's good for Guilty Gear and KOF.

Still, I am hesitant to spend more than $60 on a stick, again because I don't consider myself a super hardcore fighting game player anymore. I'll be content with a good pad that will let me do what I need to do.

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Iron D
3172th Post

"Re(4):Anyone in Japan? Need a controller..." , posted Mon 9 Feb 16:13post reply

quote:
I'm not an expert at all, but... Punch Lariat from crouch, maybe? Maybe the extra time you can wait while crouched will make the Lariat hit clean, or at least trade.

quote:
Heh, actually your best anti air choices are doing a far standing strong punch from afar, or a from really close. However, with both moves you will most likely trade hits with the shoto. Your goal should be stunning them first, but you need to land more attacks for that to happen. When they'll start launching fireballs instead, you'll be subjected then to a whole new different circle of hell. Not to mention the stupid cripple your character becomes when they start playing seriously Blanka or Honda.

I'll keep you guys' words in mind next time I get a crack at online play. Thanks!

Er.....

Maou
1589th Post

"Re(5):Anyone in Japan? Need a controller..." , posted Tue 10 Feb 06:44post reply

Yo Iron D, are you sure your 360 malaise isn't from the tooling around with the controls that they were talking about during production, with 360's being changed to maybe 220's, or some weird barely-half-circle movement? I was never digging the look of the "remix" so I haven't tried it, but unless this plan to retool 360's into an easier movement was cancelled, maybe you're doing 360's too well for your own good?

Also, Burning Ranger, the Udon pads rule, though I can't speak for the joysticks.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

NeoPenny
18th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Anyone in Japan? Need a controller..." , posted Tue 10 Feb 07:46post reply

as far as im concerned the SFIV pads coming out soon, are heavily influenced by the saturn pads.

as for the 360 if you want to go ahead and order via amazon the hrap, which is availaboe for 130 bucks and free shipping.

or you can always go for the SFIV fight stick or wait your luck on a TE stick.

as far as the ps2 pads go, yeah try to import.

the usb saturn pads, though can be easily found in ebay

Iron D
3173th Post

"Re(6):Anyone in Japan? Need a controller..." , posted Tue 10 Feb 15:12post reply

quote:
Yo Iron D, are you sure your 360 malaise isn't from the tooling around with the controls that they were talking about during production, with 360's being changed to maybe 220's, or some weird barely-half-circle movement? I was never digging the look of the "remix" so I haven't tried it, but unless this plan to retool 360's into an easier movement was cancelled, maybe you're doing 360's too well for your own good?

Well, you can still do 360s in SSF2THDR, but you can also do 632146+P instead. I prefer the classic method, obviously. And it still works, I just can't do it as consistently as I can normally.

Er.....