Arcades in San Diego - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1222 Views )

Mozex
355th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Customer

"Arcades in San Diego" , posted Sun 1 Feb 15:44post reply

I moved to San Diego this year, yay?, and I could use some tips on where to find some good arcades. Gone are the days of trips to Fry's electronics and Camelot - woe is me.

Also, decent comic book shops.

Be kind to goblins.

Replies:

GPA
48th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Arcades in San Diego" , posted Sun 1 Feb 16:52post reply

Not too much by way of selection, unfortunately, what area of SD are you in? There are semi-decent Tilt's in Mission Valley and Chula Vista, and there's (was? last time I was there was a year or two ago) a Nickle City in Rancho Bernardo that had a pretty good selection.

As for comic shops, Comics N Stuff has several locations, the best ones being the National City branch on Plaza Blvd, and their big store in El Cajon. I usually go to Comic Kaze right off the 805 Claremont Mesa exit- they have a really great selection and lots of indy stuff too.

quote:
I moved to San Diego this year, yay?, and I could use some tips on where to find some good arcades. Gone are the days of trips to Fry's electronics and Camelot - woe is me.

Also, decent comic book shops.

Mozex
356th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Arcades in San Diego" , posted Wed 4 Feb 10:40post reply

Thanks for the info, I'll check those out over the next few weeks. I'm in Claremont.

Be kind to goblins.

GPA
49th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):Arcades in San Diego" , posted Wed 4 Feb 14:14post reply

quote:
Thanks for the info, I'll check those out over the next few weeks. I'm in Claremont.

Been to Mitsuwa and Book Off yet? The Chop Stix in that plaza is pretty good, if you like Japanese food, too.

Iron D
3165th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Arcades in San Diego" , posted Wed 4 Feb 14:28post reply

quote:

There's more than one Claremont in California? There's one here in the Inland Empire (San Bernardino County), too.

Er.....

GPA
50th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Arcades in San Diego" , posted Wed 4 Feb 16:05post reply

quote:

There's more than one Claremont in California? There's one here in the Inland Empire (San Bernardino County), too.

It's actually more of an area in San Diego city, just a little north of Downtown. Btw, Iron D, didn't know you were in So Cal as well. Whereabouts in the Inland Empire are you? I'm in Redlands and Hemet from time to time.

Iron D
3166th Post

"Re(5):Arcades in San Diego" , posted Wed 4 Feb 16:15post reply

quote:

It's actually more of an area in San Diego city, just a little north of Downtown. Btw, Iron D, didn't know you were in So Cal as well. Whereabouts in the Inland Empire are you? I'm in Redlands and Hemet from time to time.

Northern San Bernardino. I also go to Redlands about once a week (usually weekends). One of my best friends lives there.

If you're looking for a pretty good comic shop, next time you're in Redlands you should check out Comic Quest. Great place with great people and a great selection of comics.

Er.....

GPA
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):Arcades in San Diego" , posted Thu 5 Feb 03:52post reply

quote:

Northern San Bernardino. I also go to Redlands about once a week (usually weekends). One of my best friends lives there.

If you're looking for a pretty good comic shop, next time you're in Redlands you should check out Comic Quest. Great place with great people and a great selection of comics.

Oh awesome, I'm really glad to hear that Comic Quest is still open! I used to go there pretty frequently, but its been a few years.

Iron D
3167th Post

"Re(7):Arcades in San Diego" , posted Thu 5 Feb 15:10post reply

quote:

Oh awesome, I'm really glad to hear that Comic Quest is still open! I used to go there pretty frequently, but its been a few years.

A few years? Did you get to know any of the guys that worked there at the time?

Er.....

GPA
52th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):Arcades in San Diego" , posted Thu 5 Feb 17:27post reply

quote:

Don't remember anybody by name unfortunately, but I remember an Asian guy that used to work there who would draw comics at the counter whenever I was there. I also used to play Samurai Shodown and Xmen COTA there alot.

Iron D
3168th Post

"Re(9):Arcades in San Diego" , posted Thu 5 Feb 22:11post reply

quote:

Don't remember anybody by name unfortunately, but I remember an Asian guy that used to work there who would draw comics at the counter whenever I was there. I also used to play Samurai Shodown and Xmen COTA there alot.

Wow. You weren't kidding when you said "years ago". They don't have either of those games there anymore, and there hasn't been an Asian guy working there since I've been going.

Er.....

GPA
53th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(10):Arcades in San Diego" , posted Fri 6 Feb 08:39post reply

Yeah, so I'm pretty happy to hear they're still around. Guess I'll have to make a trip up there sometime soon. How's their selection of indy stuff?

quote:

Wow. You weren't kidding when you said "years ago". They don't have either of those games there anymore, and there hasn't been an Asian guy working there since I've been going.

Iron D
3169th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Arcades in San Diego" , posted Fri 6 Feb 08:56post reply

quote:
Yeah, so I'm pretty happy to hear they're still around. Guess I'll have to make a trip up there sometime soon. How's their selection of indy stuff?

Pretty impressive. They've got all of the big name indy stuff: Invincible, Fables, Fell, Walking Dead, The Boys...and a lot of stuff that I never heard of. Hell, they even had the Udon Rival Schools comic for a while. It's why I'm such a regular customer there: their selection is great.

Er.....