Here's something we haven't done in a while.. - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2417 Views )

Iron D
3163th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Here's something we haven't done in a while.." , posted Fri 30 Jan 21:50post reply

An "explain your screenname, avatar and tag" thread! I know this has happened at least twice before since I've been a member of this place, but then again I've been a member for eight(!) years now and I know we haven't done this in over a year.

There's now enough new members that it's interesting again, plus I'm wondering what's up with some of your names/avs (what the hell is that in karasu99's av? What does Pollyanna's tag say? Why can't I stop staring at Onslaught's av?).

Also, as an added bonus question, what other screen names do you go by on other forums?

I'll start: back when I first signed up here, Iron Man was my favorite comic book superhero so my screen name is simply the Iron from Iron Man and the first letter of my real name (Darrin). It's incredibly uncreative, and unfortunately if I were to have to come up with a new name it probably wouldn't be any more creative.

My av is obviously Dudley. Why Dudley? Because you all have NO DIGNITY.

My tag is uninspired and simply symbolic of how absent-minded I can be.

I'm known by Iron D or IronD in most places, but I also go by IronDD and have at one point gone by the name "The Great Gatsby". That's a great book.

That's enough about me. Who's next?

Er.....

Replies:

Megane
450th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Fri 30 Jan 23:15post reply

I am Megane, I am an old lurker from way before, and I wear glasses.

My avatar is the Magnificient Bastard quarterback of the Deimon Devilbats, Youichi Hiruma.

ZamIAm
1766th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 31 Jan 01:11post reply

quote:
I'll start: back when I first signed up here, Iron Man was my favorite comic book superhero so my screen name is simply the Iron from Iron Man and the first letter of my real name (Demon)

Fixed...

Nekros
158th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 31 Jan 01:14post reply

Oh well...nekros is a word in ancient greek that means "corpse" or "dead body (only the phisical extent, without spirt/soul)".
I choose that to fit many nicknames given by friend or situation that points me as a moaning creepy guy obsessed with japanese videogames. Also, always dressed in black and with a depressve attitude (no, I'im not emo or whatever pop culture points towards).

Freeman from MOTW is a freak, but also a character that no one on heart would chose as avatar, so I'm for him. I've preferred other images, like Karasu one, but for now I'll stay with Freeman and his nail slashes.

karasu99
59th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 31 Jan 01:38post reply

quote:
(what the hell is that in karasu99's av?).

I hate to leave you hanging, but I've got no idea-- it's just one of the canned avatars from mmcafe-- the name of the gif is "saya009" if that helps. I should really just add my own custom avatar. I chose my current one because of its high 'WTF' value.

Let's see. I've been using 'karasu' since something like 1995, back when I first started contributing to some of the old Neo Geo and arcade-related newsgroups. I added the 99 years later when you could no longer just get a word registered as your username anywhere, and it stuck. Why karasu? I like crows, honestly-- it didn't really have much to do with the character from Ninja Master's.

I really don't contribute to any other boards that are game related anymore, but if you are familiar with Ground Kontrol in Portland, Oregon, you might see a high score from me as CHR, which are the first three letters of my name.

kofoguz
679th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 31 Jan 03:16post reply

Well my nickname, comes from my impatience, and weak memory. KoF- my real name is Oğuz (with a soft g, just pronounciate like there's no sibilancy. Actually I would like to professor to change it to Kofoğuz, since otherwise it looks so rude in Turkish.
Anyway my other nicknames are either koffan, kof_fan or kofoguz. Since I cant remember if I use something creative and different I use similar things.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I use crimsonflamer for dirty purposes.

End of Spoiler

My avatar is Gerard Butler as Phantom of the Opera cause I'm in love with both. Also most people think of me as a strange ghost who enters their life and goes. Also my slow times cause this.

kinda off-topic cant see exodus around here for a while, where is he?

[sigtag][/sigtag]

Spoon
1723th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 31 Jan 04:25post reply

quote:
(what the hell is that in karasu99's av?).

I hate to leave you hanging, but I've got no idea-- it's just one of the canned avatars from mmcafe-- the name of the gif is "saya009" if that helps. I should really just add my own custom avatar. I chose my current one because of its high 'WTF' value.

I wonder if it's from Saya no Uta now that you mention the "saya" part of the filename.

At first I thought it was an elephant.
Then I wondered if it was just a girl with her hair pulled over her face.

----

I picked the name "Spoon" not because of cars or The Tick, but because it's just a commonplace item and I couldn't be bothered to come up with a cool name at the time.

The avatar is an "ATA!" gif stolen off some Fist of the North Star official site years ago. It stays unchanged as my love for Fist of the North Star stays unchanged.

nobinobita
475th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 31 Jan 10:31post reply

My screen name is a reference to Nobi Nobita from Doraemon, which is the first thing I ever remember reading. It's still one of my favorite comics to this day.

I've been lurking on this board since man... the mid 90s?

Over that time I've had the pleasure of meeting a few other board members (Red Falcon, Stabo and the famous mr Tim Rogers).

My avatar comes from Sgt Frog, which is like the new Doraemon for me. It's a fun and gentle comic (with really excellent craftsmanship). That image in particular is from the "Wetraman" Chapter, which is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I don't have a sig cos it never occured to me to make one. I don't regularly post anywhere else on the net cept for Actionbutton a few times, and that was under the same screen name.

This is my favorite spot to lurk on the net.

Maou
1581th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"CAFE SECRETS" , posted Sat 31 Jan 10:44:post reply

quote:
Why Dudley? Because you all have NO DIGNITY.

DUDLEY! I was also similarly freaked out by karasu's picture, which always looked like a skinless face to me...who knew that it was actually one of the Professor's dastardly avatar creations!

So Maou (魔王) ("Dark Lord," "Mage King," "Demon Lord"..."Magus" in the US) was my favorite character in Chrono Trigger. Nothing like a villanous hero who tells you he'll just kill you if you get in his way when you ask him to join your party at the Brink of Time. I always liked the way he pulled on his gloves during battle to show he was about to mop the floor with you. Couldn't resist choosing his name years ago. Semi-relatedly, my love for Chrono Trigger is only rivaled by my dislike for Chrono Cross and Katou Masato.

Avatar-wise, on a Mario kick of late...everyone must fear the Hammer Bros.! Kinopio/Toad before that is always fun. Usually I just have Ghaleon (occasionally Zophar) from the Lunar series, since he's my very favorite RPG character. Relatedly, the signature is the line Ghaleon's ghost utters in Lunar 2 when he first appears, "Humans never cease to surprise me. What mysterious beings they are, humans..."

Super bonus plus alpha question: the Cafe is really the only forum I like, so Maou's basically it, though about once a year I like to contribute to Lunar-Net, where I show up as Temzin (aka Tempest, from Lunar~Silver Star Story). See you there! Or not!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 31 Jan 11:28]

Toxico
4654th Post

"Re(2):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 31 Jan 11:31:post reply

'Toxico', Toxic is used to describe some pretty weird and nasty things in spanish, so it fitted perfectly. Since I'm universally known as Toxic, in time it was necessary to create nicks for Toxic , but I mostly use them on spanish forums where People don't know me. My other nicks are Okashira "leader" (I had my grupies back in the day), Toxic Avanger (miss spelling from avenger, and has no relation to the movies) And Black Hole (The 4th dimentional akuma chojin from Kinnikuman, who had a very kick ass theme called 'bermuda mystery). Oh, and my mail uses 'toxic baron'.

My current AV & tag are mostly influenced by the upcoming 02UM, and it also expresses my worries that, instead of a biological son, I'm a failed clone from my evil scientist father. The quote is Boss Krizalid's introduction. "Meni yakitsuke te··· Shinu gaii" 'Imprint this image in your memory... And die'. It also goes with hand with the content of the link (a huge, insane, currently incomplete translation project for every KoF).

Oh, and my previous AV was 'Zabine Chareaux', a villain from Gundam F-91 (my first gundam), & the Tag was Black hole, and had quotes from his theme. 'akuma no kenshin ka, jigoku no shisha ka; ring de totsuzen aite ga kieru' "The devil knight, the messenger from hell; those who face against him will vanish from the ring".

I suppose the identity of my father explains a lot about the content of my posts, to those who have been reading me since long.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 28/01/09 (96 personajes)

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sat 31 Jan 11:32]

Pollyanna
2637th Post

"Re(2):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 31 Jan 11:33post reply

I earned the name Pollyanna for my cheery disposition (don't laugh!). This was years ago, of course, and I'm not nearly as cheery as I used to be, but I'm still much more positive and energetic than I seem online. I swear I wouldn't have to complain so much if everyone would just get their shit together!

The avatar is Kimura Kaere from Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei, one of my favorite anime/manga. It's very...uhm...profound.

The signature is a line of the Disgaea 3 opening. It's sort of like... "the anthem of our youth is "survival of the fittest.""

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nate
967th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 31 Jan 12:19post reply

Let's see...Nate is my actual nickname though I don't use it as much these days. Some people still call me that, though.

My avatar is the character Muse from Romancing SaGa 3, one of my favorite games. Most recently I did a playthrough in which I got a character who starts with crap equipment (Tatyana/Candy/Tart, etc.) and one of the weaker weapon types (IMO) to switch to axes, which have some of the hardest attacks to learn...and she learned all of the good ones! I still love this crazy game for things like that. Anyway, I like muse because she's adaptable to any weapon type...but she's usually stubborn/slow about doing so whenever I use her. I think I like Tatyana more but she's not as pretty. Only Iggy and maybe 2~3 other members will understand any of this tangent.

My signature is what Tiffany from Rival Schools/Justice Gakuen says when doing her attack.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

nobinobita
477th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 31 Jan 15:08:post reply

quote:

The signature is a line of the Disgaea 3 opening. It's sort of like... "the anthem of our youth is "survival of the fittest.""

Ah, that is a cool quote.

I'm curious, do you speak/write Chinese? Or is it just that the phrase happens to come out in all Kanji in the game?

Also Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei is a great show! It uses such sharp and focused imagery to hone in on such obscure and strange emotions. I believe it fits the definition of profound very well.

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sat 31 Jan 15:36]

Pollyanna
2639th Post

"Re(4):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 31 Jan 18:28post reply

quote:

I'm curious, do you speak/write Chinese? Or is it just that the phrase happens to come out in all Kanji in the game?

Also Sayonara Zetsubou-Sensei is a great show! It uses such sharp and focused imagery to hone in on such obscure and strange emotions. I believe it fits the definition of profound very well.

It's just all Kanji.

The only Chinese I know are Kanji that are the same in Japanese. So if I go to a restaurant in Chinatown, I know "chicken" "fish" and "beef".

As for Zetsubou-Sensei, have you seen the 2nd "OVA" opening? It just might be the most awesome thing ever.

Of course, I love the visuals in the show (especially the different styled endings), but it's the shaking my head and saying "It's true! It's true!" that really does it for me. It's a sort of "we have to laugh, because the only other alternative is crying" situation...hahaha.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

catalyst
448th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sun 1 Feb 01:54:post reply

Hello all! My stuff is pretty simple

the screen name Catalyst other than the scientific term I picked it for the other definitions "a person or thing that participates an event or change" or "a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic"

My Avatar is Lady from DMC4. I picked it because, hey what can I say? I like women. That and it was a play on words as well "Lady" which could represent any women.

My tag pretty much is the same response with the avatar. The link video is coming from Phoenix Wright. Characters are used to sing the song by Jimmy Soul - "if you wanna be happy for the rest of your life". Funny song with a representations that their are just some women who are outright f***sticks with a bit of a funny twist at too it.

Alright guys so whens the next AA meeting?!

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Sun 1 Feb 01:54]

Maese Spt
475th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sun 1 Feb 19:13post reply

I have a soft spot for these threads, but I'll do my best to keep it shot.

My nickname is the result of several infructuous attempts to register myself in the Cafe forums after lurking around here since late 90s. It means something along the lines of "grand master" in Spanish, and speaks of my humbleness and the low concept I have of myself. The Spt does not stand for "spit", but instead alludes to Sephiroth, a character I had a penchant for some years ago, when I was young and silly. However, I must admit I bear a certain resemblance to this oedipus complexed weirdo: I live surrounded by dusty books about most obscure matters, I tend to despise mankind and civilization, my sanity is at question more often than not, and I also enjoy loneliness only as much as wearing long dark coats.

With some modifications, that's the same alias I have been using on other places since I went online but, nowadays, pretty much the only board I frequent is this cozy and tidy Cafe we all know and love.

The avatar is Hild, the ultimate MILF, probably my favourite character of my favourite series, Ah! Megamisama. The signature is an AMG/Lucky Star spoof pic I shamelessly stole on mixi, I think. I don't even like Lucky Star, but I guess the pic struck the right chord on me, because is cute as hell.

Now, I've always wanted to know who the hell is the meganekko in the Professor's avatar... but I guess the man is not likely to post on this thread!

KTallguy
1080th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Mon 2 Feb 02:42post reply

I remember this thread from a while back!

KTallguy is the first letter of my name plus "Tallguy". I'm 192 cm (6'4"), which is tall enough, I guess. Though I have met taller.

My avatar is Changpo from Senko no Ronde, a game that I want to play more of and get better at. I may change it eventually, but I like her character design a lot for some reason.

My signature, "Play to Win", was inspired by Sirlin, who uses the same quote. I guess the point is that when playing fighting games, I try not to whine about getting beat up. Rather, I just try to force myself to get better.

Play to win.

Ishmael
3392th Post

"Re(1):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Mon 2 Feb 06:26post reply

Let's see what we have here...

My name is a reference to the narrator/main character of the novel Moby Dick. I always appreciated the character's rambling, observational view of life. Since all anyone can do on message boards is uselessly comment on events outside their control I figured it was the perfect name to choose. I've been dragging the Ishmael monkier around for a frighteningly long time, far longer than I've been posting here.

Although I change my avatar from time to time I always go back to Jigen from Lupin III. There seems to be a theme going here since he's yet another reserved fictional character. I also seem to stick to the same avatar since I feel that visual cues are as important as an actual name. Even before someone notices the name Ishmael they can see my picture and immediately know it's from me. Perhaps I'm doing a service for the illiterate members of the board?

My tag, by comparison, gets changed a great deal more frequently. Sometimes it's cute, sometimes it's funny, but it almost always features girls. The tags are strictly for me.

Maou
1583th Post

"Re(2):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Mon 2 Feb 07:02post reply

quote:

Although I change my avatar from time to time I always go back to Jigen from Lupin III. There seems to be a theme going here since he's yet another reserved fictional character. I also seem to stick to the same avatar since I feel that visual cues are as important as an actual name. Even before someone notices the name Ishmael they can see my picture and immediately know it's from me. Perhaps I'm doing a service for the illiterate members of the board?

Heheh, it's almost true. Jigen is an outstanding choice, and I always expect a clever or wiseass comment when I see his face pop up in a thread...just watched Episode 0 the other month again, some of Jigen's best scenes since Dead or Alive or so. And I don't mean Tecmo.

ZamIAm
1767th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Mon 2 Feb 08:53post reply

I chose ZamIAm because way back when I originally signed up I had problems when I registered Zamuel and ZamuelNow (which I'm commonly know as elsewhere on the Internet). Not surprisingly, my real first name is Samuel

Before I go into my sig or av, there is another important tidbit I must talk about for any of the newer people here who may not know about a specific in joke between me and Iron D.

When originally starting out, it was quickly realized that me and Iron D had a number of thing similar about us since we were both geeky black guys with odd identicalities. For instance, Donatello is our favorite Ninja Turtle. There's a few other things that aren't coming to mind right now (I think he also wears glasses). Thus, he deemed me his long lost twin. However, I like Lucky Glauber--a character he can not stand since, well, Lucky does seem a little stereotypical. Due to this I was deemed the "evil" twin. Pending on the situation I willingly maintain this moniker (note how sometimes I playful mess with D) though I occassionally attempt to reverse this and call Iron D the evil one either due to something he says or I simply "play innocent" as a counter.

My current av is of Leroy Green from The Last Dragon as he fimally obtained The Glow while my sig is of Static (one of my favorite heroes) and Carmen Sandiego (one of my favorite villains). I tend to change my av based on my mood (bought time to change it up to be honest) and have had things ranging from Lucky Glauber to Velma Dinkly from Scooby Doo.

Iron D
3164th Post

"Re(4):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Mon 2 Feb 14:15post reply

quote:

When originally starting out, it was quickly realized that me and Iron D had a number of thing similar about us since we were both geeky black guys with odd identicalities. For instance, Donatello is our favorite Ninja Turtle. There's a few other things that aren't coming to mind right now (I think he also wears glasses).

Of course I wear glasses. I'm a gaming/internet geek. This is almost a prerequisite...either that, or having lots of facial hair.

And Donatello kicks ass. He always won my heart due to being the geekiest Turtle. If I'm not mistaken, he was also the darkest shade of green, which I can relate to, being dark even for a Black guy.

Er.....

HAYATO
903th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Wed 4 Feb 03:25post reply

Well, as I've stated in many posts along these years, you'll all know by now (in case anyone actually attends to my posts, that is...) I'm a huge Capcom fan. My nick makes an allusion to the main character of the "Star Gladiator" series, Hayato Kanzaki. I satarted to use it after joining a manga club in my late teens in which, taking a nickname was almost mandatory (there were frequent allusions to people we only met on the Internet, and even some members who shared the same name). Before that, I used (and still do) other nicks, mainly "EDOOM", which came pretty useful when playing old games; text space was very limited back then...

My current signature comes from one of those "Galgrease" erotic posterbooks drawn by Shirow Masamune some years ago (from the "Galhound" series, IIRC). He's one of my favorite manga artists of all time, so I think he deserved a little love... Well, it's just an excuse to shamelessly advertise my almost defunct blog here, but hey! better Shirow than One Piece, don't you think?

And my av... well I think no Spanish cafeer should need an explanation, but it's very likely that the rest of you don't know about this: back in the middle 80's, Sesame Street arrived on our national TV channel and the Jim Henson Company decided to create a pair of localized characters to lead the kids show. One of them was a giant pink hedgehog called "Espinete" and the other one was the nondescriptable creature of my avatar, known amongst the children of the country as "Don Pimpón".

But of course, things aren't as simple as they seem, because this isn't any random pic: this avatar was customly made by me from an ancient photo which depicted a friend of mine when he was 5 and met those childhood heroes in person!!. Needless to say, they weren't the original costumes, but one of those cheap imitations anyone can meet on country fairs, wandering circus and the like... but he succeeded when most of us failed. Damn, he met Don Pimpón!!!!!

Maou
1586th Post

"Re(6):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Wed 4 Feb 05:07post reply

quote:
Well, as I've stated in many posts along these years, you'll all know by now (in case anyone actually attends to my posts, that is...) I'm a huge Capcom fan. My nick makes an allusion to the main character of the "Star Gladiator" series, Hayato Kanzaki.

Oh Hayato, you were so close...I read "Capcom" and was psyched that it was for NEKKETSU HAYATO, greatest gym teacher in the world---wish he'd been mine.

CharlesProphony
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Wed 4 Feb 07:21post reply

Hello, hello... Now for some horrible english to be sprinkled around here...

The nickname is something I made up once when I was playing RPG and ended up liking... It's almost 10 years with it...

The avatar is some quick and dirty sketch I made some years ago of Breda from Full Metal Alchemist, reflecting the interest I have about this manga and some other deeper preferences of myself...

The sig is just a link to my old and defunct blog... In portuguese.

Ex-Prophony

dr baghead
3781th Post

"Re(1):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Fri 6 Feb 22:20post reply

my name is Dr Baghead, on other forums I got by dr_baghead, drbaghead, and on one just to mix it up "Doc_Baghead" (but that sounds stupid) it's also my artist pen name. It's what I called Faust in GGX since he was Dr.Baldhead wearing a bag.

I think my av is a red x now, that symbolizes how I'm too lazy to make a new avatar... if it's still showing up however it should be a sign from the SF Zoo of a drawing of an X over a Bear's Mouth. I sign I always find funny because I have no clue what it means: Do not feed? Danger: Bears Bite? Warning: It's True This Bear Has No Mouth!? Notice to Bears: No Roaring?

All I can gather is this bear has a mouth and something in regards to it is off limits. Maybe if the Zoo got some better signs shit like Tiger Maulings and Guys Climbing into Rhino cages wouldn't happen (unlikely)...

... my sig is a custom Dan figure (whom I glad I made...my god the offical SOTA Dan is a piece of shit, but that's a different story) and offical Blanka figure quoting Bill and Ted... which just makes sense. It also links to my DA since everyone should go there, it's got nekkid lady drawings and stuff.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

Time Mage
2759th Post

"Re(8):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 7 Feb 09:00post reply

Hey! I like this kind of threads, why didn't I post already?

My nickname comes, obviously, from the Time Mage FF job. Back in 1997 or so, irc was stupidly popular, and although I didn't like it, some times I used it, and I had to use a nickname, of course. I tried one or two FF names I liked, but I think they were already chosen, so I remembered that awesome job in FFV who could use the mighty Meteo, and it was free, so...

You can also find me as Time_Mage or TimeMage, depending on the forum, but lately (lately = 2 or 3 years), I've also been using "Taim Meich", which is how someone from Spain who doesn't know English would write Time Mage if they heard it.

Regarding my avatar, this one is Kuroyanagi Ryo, the main judge during the Yakitate! Ja-pan manga. I L-O-V-E bread, as the character does, and I'm extremely picky about the quality of the bread I choose. Considering how pedantic the character is, and how pedantic I can be, it fits me great. And although I change avatars quite frequently, this one has stayed with me for probably more time than most.

My signature is a great line of the great Gene from the awesome God Hand. Confidence, style, and a great reference in one phrase: Impossible to beat!

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

sfried
331th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(9):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 7 Feb 12:46post reply

My name comes from a certain character from FFVI inspired by a certain Wagner play. You might also see me on some other forums bearing the same handle.

My icon is Guido from Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge, the not-so-known sequel to the SNES Super Scope game Battle Clash, the latter which do not possess. Guido is also the first opponent you fight in both games.

Burning Ranger
1589th Post

"Re(1):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sun 8 Feb 14:53post reply

Name: Burning Ranger, taken from the video game of the same name (though, the game's name is plural, "Burning Rangers"). I had an obsession with this game my senior year of high school back in 1998. Now years later, I've grown fond of the name and use a variation of the name in other place and on other boards.

AV Pic: The images come from a comic called "Tales From the Bully Pulpit." In the comic, Abe Lincoln is one of many summoned to do battle with Hitler's clone. The move he uses looks very similar to Ryu's signature Shoryuken (I think the artists and writers even verified that this was the move).

Signature Image: A photo from a movie I'm looking forward to: Star Trek. Despite what people say, I'm staying positive. It's almost like an "Ultimates" version of Trek.

Bonus question: On Shoryuken, I am "Burning Ranger" (but I rarely post there anymore). On Orochinagi's forums, I am "Branger."

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Iron D
3170th Post

"Re(2):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sun 8 Feb 19:20post reply

quote:

Signature Image: A photo from a movie I'm looking forward to: Star Trek. Despite what people say, I'm staying positive. It's almost like an "Ultimates" version of Trek.

Wait, does that mean that this movie is supposed to take place in a separate continuity?

Er.....

Burning Ranger
1591th Post

"Re(3):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sun 8 Feb 23:47post reply

quote:

Wait, does that mean that this movie is supposed to take place in a separate continuity?

That's the way I'm looking at it. There's a big time travel element to it, part of why Leonard Nimoy is in it. Plus, the way things look and the way things progress in the movie has that "different but the same" kind of vibe to it, just like Marvel's "Ultimates" series.

Mozex
357th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Mon 9 Feb 14:56post reply

quote:

If it doesn't then Trek continuity is fairly meaningless; not that they haven't retconned most of the original series already.

For instance there's an episode where Kirk doesn't know what car is (and manages to learn to drive a manual transmission in record time! - what a man) but the first trailer shows him speeding around in a convertible.

Be kind to goblins.

karasu99
65th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Tue 10 Feb 08:17post reply

quote:
If it doesn't then Trek continuity is fairly meaningless; not that they haven't retconned most of the original series already.

This has been par for the course in Star Trek in general in the past decade. As much as I enjoyed Enterprise, it rewrote so much of the series's backstory it wasn't even funny. This, after painstakingly trying to explain other strange continuity issues in other respects. Personally, I view the new movie as nothing more than an attempt to reboot the franchise to appeal to a younger crowd.

We should take this subject to a new thread, since I'm glad to see others are interested in talking on this subject.

Incidentally, Burning Ranger, I'm glad to finally know the origin of your av. For some reason Lincoln seems to be a strange kind of focal point for that kind of thing.

EternalNewbie
203th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 14 Feb 16:36post reply

Got my nick from my days of playing Everquest back when it first came out and out of all my friends I played with, never leveled up past 21 due to my need to explore the world at a low level and my dislike of grinding. Gone by the nick ever since.

As for my current avatar pic. Eh, mainly cause I'm too lazy to get a different one, but other than that; Servbots are stuck in their position of being low on the totem pole and they're okay with that just like me and my nick.

Shin_ATproof
1230th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sat 14 Feb 18:31:post reply

Shin=True
ATProof=80 Proof as in alcohol...no reason for using "AT", just felt like it.

I used to go simply by ATProof until I ran into a problem with my ISP like, 10 years ago. I came back as Shin ATproof...figured it was fitting since I'm truthful and brutally honest and never hold back what I feel. As such, I've seen myself sorta like alcohol, I can be your best friend and great to have around or worst enemy depending on how you take me LOL.

My avatar is Amano from Last Blade, he was available here on MMC, one of my best characters in the game and he is a character that I feel reflects me as a person...just wish I had his looks...and hair. Seriously, look at it!
It is a pompadour-mullet and he has huge sideburns...SEXY!

My sig is simply a rhyme that is basically: "(hell)yes, with lobster and shrimp"

I've used that one for a few years now on like every MB I go to. I have another that I don't use as frequently which is:
"Visualize Aya Hirano...using Dirty Talk"
I'd kill to hear her in her natural *moe-moe* voice talking sexy/dirty...especially to me.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

[this message was edited by Shin_ATproof on Sat 14 Feb 18:38]

Burning Ranger
1593th Post

"Re(5):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sun 15 Feb 02:05post reply

quote:

Incidentally, Burning Ranger, I'm glad to finally know the origin of your av. For some reason Lincoln seems to be a strange kind of focal point for that kind of thing.

A while back (maybe 2006), Honda ran a sale on President's day and it featured portraits of Washington and Lincoln that looked like fighting game portraits (they reminded me of art from SFA3 and KOF 99). I've been meaning to find that artwork again.

Nekros
159th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Here's something we haven't done in a w" , posted Sun 15 Feb 07:16post reply

quote:

A while back (maybe 2006), Honda ran a sale on President's day and it featured portraits of Washington and Lincoln that looked like fighting game portraits (they reminded me of art from SFA3 and KOF 99). I've been meaning to find that artwork again.

Was that something like this:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_nE_W2UGZeqQ/R7pZwmYVm5I/AAAAAAAABEQ/0QJwxiOGAPo/s400/PresidentsDay-w.jpg

Or was cartoonish?

nobinobita
478th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):Here's something we haven't done in a" , posted Sun 15 Feb 12:36post reply

quote:

My icon is Guido from Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge, the not-so-known sequel to the SNES Super Scope game Battle Clash, the latter which do not possess. Guido is also the first opponent you fight in both games.

aha! Thanks for sharing that link. Battle Clash was such a cool game. I love the sci-fi style Nintendo came up with in the 90s. Metroid, F-zero and Battle Clash had such cool settings. I liked to imagine they were all in the same universe. It would be great if Nintendo did a new adventure game in that style. I loved Metroid Prime, but it would have been even cooler if it looked more like the original art.

Nekros
160th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Here's something we haven't done" , posted Sun 15 Feb 20:04post reply

quote:

Battle Clash was such a cool game. I love the sci-fi style Nintendo came up with in the 90s. Metroid, F-zero and Battle Clash had such cool settings. I liked to imagine they were all in the same universe.

Oh yes! And don't forgot Cybernator and its "sequel".
Hagane also had some of the sci-fi wibe but with a darker tone, resulting in a cross evolution of MD games like Strider, Shinobi 3 and Wolfchild. But cool anyway, like most 90s games compared to what we get nowadays (childish manga and doped marines).

sfried
333th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Here's something we haven't done" , posted Mon 16 Feb 06:08:post reply

quote:
aha! Thanks for sharing that link. Battle Clash was such a cool game. I love the sci-fi style Nintendo came up with in the 90s. Metroid, F-zero and Battle Clash had such cool settings. I liked to imagine they were all in the same universe. It would be great if Nintendo did a new adventure game in that style. I loved Metroid Prime, but it would have been even cooler if it looked more like the original art.

That's something I was trying to do a little research on as well. 80's/early-90's sci-fi had alot of nice art. I even rebought my Super Scope 6 manual to replace my lost one, as LazerBlazer had a neat illustration of the ship you were "using".

quote:
My signature, "Play to Win", was inspired by Sirlin, who uses the same quote. I guess the point is that when playing fighting games, I try not to whine about getting beat up. Rather, I just try to force myself to get better.

As much as I'd like to complement Sirlin, there are alot of misguided fans who live only by this creed (whom I will refer to as The Acolytes of David Sirlin). Sirlin himself has warned of this apparent perception. Most of them will gloss over some apparent design flaws and accuse people who can't confirm to the setbacks as being scrubs, despite being adequately good with the game in question. Making a game have steep learning curves for the sake of "complexity" (a.k.a. trying to make economics out of your fighting game)? Some people need to know the two aren't mutually inclusive.

[this message was edited by sfried on Mon 16 Feb 06:13]

Time Mage
2761th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Here's something we haven't done" , posted Mon 16 Feb 06:14post reply

quote:
misguided fans

Are you aware that, every time that someone puts a link to tvtropes, I waste at least one hour of my life following the myriad of links there? Those should come warning, like the "not work safe" links >_<

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

sfried
334th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Here's something we haven't done" , posted Mon 16 Feb 06:23:post reply

quote:
Are you aware that, every time that someone puts a link to tvtropes, I waste at least one hour of my life following the myriad of links there? Those should come warning, like the "not work safe" links >_<

I'm sorry. I didn't know there was an apprent rule against posting links to that site. Or is everybody just quoting tvtropes nowdays?

[this message was edited by sfried on Mon 16 Feb 06:24]

Time Mage
2762th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Here's something we haven't done" , posted Mon 16 Feb 07:00post reply

quote:
I'm sorry. I didn't know there was an apprent rule against posting links to that site. Or is everybody just quoting tvtropes nowdays?

Nononono, I mean that the site is so absorbing, that if I am "unlucky" enough to click on a link to tvtropes, I end up browsing the site for an hour or more. But of course there's no rule against it. It's only that it's stupidly addictive xD

sfried
335th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Here's something we haven't done" , posted Sun 22 Feb 13:38post reply

By the way, who is the smoking woman in the Professor's icon?