MMORPG character and you - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1399 Views )

Holiday
2602th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"MMORPG character and you" , posted Sun 18 Jan 01:51:post reply

Been a long time since we had a poll? Anyway
Fantasy RPG - which character do you choose?
Sword / melee type- I want to wield the biggest sword
Magician type - I want to mow down everything but suffer for 100 levels first
Thief / Assasin - To clitical hit everything is the best
Archer / long range type - I like to click on my mouse a lot
Healer / paladin warrior type - I want to kill zombiiiies
I check the FAQs first to see who's the strongest
Weird job type - merchant / bard / blacksmith - because I want to be super special
The one with the hottest chick
Which one is the loli?
Others?

[this message was edited by Holiday on Sun 18 Jan 01:52]

Replies:

Toxico
4630th Post

"Re(1):MMORPG character and you" , posted Sun 18 Jan 02:01:post reply

Healer / support type. Unsurprisingly controlling people into fighting fits more my style than getting into the heat of things by myself.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 17/01/09 (96 personajes)

[this message was edited by Toxico on Sun 18 Jan 02:15]

Time Mage
2758th Post

"Re(1):MMORPG character and you" , posted Sun 18 Jan 10:46:post reply

I always think that next time I'll try a melee... Only to end up as the crazy psycho mage that blows things up. I like to be squishy... yet devastatingly powerful.

Speaking of which, next week I'll start playing FFXI, and of course, I've chosen the magic route: I'll be a Scholar, so that I can blow things up, but also cure if the team needs it (although I'll secretly wish I was blowing things up).

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

[this message was edited by Time Mage on Sun 18 Jan 10:48]

ONSLAUGHT
3795th Post

"Re(1):MMORPG character and you" , posted Sun 18 Jan 11:27post reply

quote:
Been a long time since we had a poll? AnywayPoll

Where's my huge, brutish, slow but devastating character? I don't feel the love

Grave
1160th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):MMORPG character and you" , posted Sun 18 Jan 11:50post reply

I really like paladins and I have one at 80 in WoW. Tanking and DPS is fine and all, but I'll probably never heal. Holy seems like the most boring pally spec by far. Outside of the occasional res, that shit just doesn't do it for me.

NeoRyu
1130th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):MMORPG character and you" , posted Sun 18 Jan 12:00post reply

I'm a melee man, in WOW have a 80 Enhancement Shaman, a 70 Rogue and 70 dps Warrior. Yeah healing is also a bore to me not to fun watching bars, better in the action than out imo.

Pollyanna
2624th Post

"Re(2):MMORPG character and you" , posted Sun 18 Jan 14:12post reply

I'm not really big into MMORPGs and I've gone a different route nearly each time. I never want to be a tank and I've been convinced that rangers are either boring or more trouble than they're worth. Other than that...anything, preferably something unique. I think I've made mages in the last few I've played.

What's most important to me is making a character that I love. I want to look cool and have cute costumes. If you're going to spend hours and hours with a character that represents you, then you gotta love it, right? I'm sure I've picked a class based on appearance at least once or twice...

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

KTallguy
1069th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):MMORPG character and you" , posted Mon 19 Jan 02:30post reply

I generally dislike MMOs... they're just too much of a time sink.

However in most RPGs I like characters that have thief/assassin like properties, OR characters that are long range rangers with invisibility, sneak, and/or talking with nature and animal abilities.

I like the "live off the land, read the signs of nature, get the drop on your target before they know it" kind of gameplay. When given the option, I always love to sneak.

Play to win.

Maou
1574th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):MMORPG character and you" , posted Mon 19 Jan 06:34:post reply

I don't play online RPGs so I converted this to the poll's origins, American-style adventure/RPG games. Since Quest for Glory is my favorite American RPG series ever, I chose my usual thief job, which is so much more fun...sneaking around, picking logs, breaking into buildings, throwing rocks. Far more fun than slashin' or tankin' around.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 19 Jan 06:36]

Megane
446th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):MMORPG character and you" , posted Mon 19 Jan 12:07post reply

quote:
Been a long time since we had a poll? AnywayPoll

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRDS!!!!!

Ikari Loona
240th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):MMORPG character and you" , posted Mon 19 Jan 21:28:post reply

I had to pick "Other" in the poll, since I tend to go for bare-handed monks/fighters - no weapons, no MP, no problem.

I've been playing FFXI for about a year now, and monk is, of course, my chosen job. Been enjoying blue mage too, since it's quite flexible and there's no need to buy spells (some are still quite tricky to get though).

There's also some satisfaction in tanking, taking on all of those attacks and surviving. I might end up leveling Paladin some day, already got a scroll for it I intend to use instead of selling, and raising defensive skills can be handy for most other jobs in the game.

quote:
I always think that next time I'll try a melee... Only to end up as the crazy psycho mage that blows things up. I like to be squishy... yet devastatingly powerful.

Speaking of which, next week I'll start playing FFXI, and of course, I've chosen the magic route: I'll be a Scholar, so that I can blow things up, but also cure if the team needs it (although I'll secretly wish I was blowing things up).

From what you're saying it sounds like black mage would be great for you, since it's the prime nuking job in the game.

Elemental Magic skill is what deals with that particular aspect of gameplay - BLMs excel at it, and SCH are second in line, and only when they use Dark Arts:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Elemental_Magic

In order to compare them:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Black_Mage

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Scholar

But since you only get to unlock scholar at level 30, odds are you'll have to level either white or black mage up to that level, and the other job to 15 as a sub. That's easier nowadays, as they've increased XP gains a few months ago.

Nuking jobs are expected to help with healing anyway, so while scholar can do both natively, it's not uncommon for other mage/support jobs to sub white mage for that. A friend of mine plays BLM/WHM, and that's quite common for the job.

Might as well toss in the link for those less familiar with the concept:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Support_Job

I'll finally be able to bring my laptop to my new apartment since I've found a way to deal with an electricity issue that was keeping me weary - if you end up at the Remora server look me up, I go under the name "Loona" there.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

[this message was edited by Ikari Loona on Mon 19 Jan 21:42]

EddyT
782th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):MMORPG character and you" , posted Mon 19 Jan 22:57post reply

The last MMORPG I played was Phantasy Star Online, and I was a magic user in that game. I like more challenging classes, rather than press a button multiple times and hack-and-slash my way through hordes of enemies.

I generally avoid MMORPGs because I know how much time is needed to invest in them, and it's a renewable type of gameplay, so I would be hooked for years. Nowadays, I tend to stick to games that I can put down after an hour or so, like fighters or classic arcade games and their remakes.

Zepy
1520th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):MMORPG character and you" , posted Mon 19 Jan 23:35post reply

I don't play online RPGs much due to a lack of time, but in most RPGs where you can pick a class I usually like using mage characters, mainly because I like dying in two hits.

Megane
448th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):MMORPG character and you" , posted Tue 20 Jan 11:57post reply

Hmmm, here's a secondary question:

If you were to choose a mage class, which element/s do you prefer often? (Element being a loose term here)

- Fire
- Earth
- Wind
- Water
- Wood / Plant (for those 5-element people)
- Metal (for those 5-element people)
- Lightning
- Ice (if you don't like water)
- Poison
- Light / Holy
- Dark / Shadow
- Other

Or, if you prefer disciplines over elements:
- Clerical Magic
- Druidic Magic
- Necromancy
- Elementalist (fireball tossing and the like)
- Psionic
- Bard skills
- Other

Ikari Loona
240th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):MMORPG character and you" , posted Tue 20 Jan 20:05post reply

quote:

If you were to choose a mage class, which element/s do you prefer often? (Element being a loose term here)

Poison - damage-over-time-even-if-you're-not-actively-attacking-anymore FTW.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Maese Spt
466th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):MMORPG character and you" , posted Wed 21 Jan 00:22:post reply

Polls! Man, do I love them...

I have to admit it: on the only MMORPG I have played, I chose my character class entirely based on the appearance. If I have to stick with this goddamn character for 500+ of endless grinding, it'd better be a decent-looking fellow. Funny enough, it ended up being a sword wielding character... my favourite character type on traditional table RPGs as well. I've always had a something for swords, you know. But they don't have to be necessarily huge or massive, as suggested in OP's poll... size is not *that* important

And as for wizardry goes, I've never been a big fan of magic in RPGs, but I suppose I'd go with an elementalist (fire or thunder) or a dark mage all the way.

EDIT: let me throw a new question into the fray:
do you chose your characters the same gender as yours, or the other way around? For me, I tend to find female avatars more entertaining.

[this message was edited by Maese Spt on Wed 21 Jan 00:39]

Ktallguy
1071th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(3):MMORPG character and you" , posted Wed 21 Jan 05:02post reply

Generally I lean towards Male avatars, as I like to envision myself in the game hitting on all the hot laydiezzz... but getting mashed into the ground in the process.

I like games that have both a male and a female main character where you adventure together or switch off.

Play to win.

Nate
966th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):MMORPG character and you" , posted Wed 21 Jan 12:12post reply

I like either clitical hit thief/assassin types OR healers. I went with the former because the description was funnier. Ranged attacking is always fun, and especially when you have a ton of critical bonuses. Getting hit isn't so fun, though. Not that that's what you should be doing as either of those classes anyway.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Megane
449th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):MMORPG character and you" , posted Wed 21 Jan 19:24post reply

quote:
I like either clitical hit thief/assassin types

I c wat u did thar

Amakusa
788th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):MMORPG character and you" , posted Thu 22 Jan 17:12:post reply

In Ragnarok Online I picked the healer class, and in Phantasy Star Online I picked the mage class (I can't be bothered to remember what they were called in those games). So inevitably when I started playing World of Warcraft I picked a Shaman because I thought I wanted to do damage and heal, but screw that, totems suck... I ended up with a mage.

So the answer is mage. I shoot things. Things die. I can teleport myself all over the darn place and like it (kind of a holdover from being the RO healer character that could do the same thing).

quote:

Water... no real reason, but it seems the most appealing despite the fact that almost every game relegates it to a healing art. Can't think of many games where you could use it as a destructive force and NOT call it 'Ice'... I mean, come on.

quote:

Or, if you prefer disciplines over elements:

Necromancy... kind of a holdover from Diablo 2 where Necromancy was made cool.

quote:

EDIT: let me throw a new question into the fray:
do you chose your characters the same gender as yours, or the other way around? For me, I tend to find female avatars more entertaining.

It's random, depending on the theme I set out for the character. If I feel that theme is better suited as a female, then I pick a female. More than that, it depends on how ugly as all hell the male/female template looks.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

[this message was edited by Amakusa on Thu 22 Jan 17:18]

Time Mage
2758th Post

"Re(3):MMORPG character and you" , posted Wed 4 Feb 07:05post reply

quote:
From what you're saying it sounds like black mage would be great for you, since it's the prime nuking job in the game.

Elemental Magic skill is what deals with that particular aspect of gameplay - BLMs excel at it, and SCH are second in line, and only when they use Dark Arts:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Elemental_Magic

In order to compare them:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Black_Mage

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Scholar

But since you only get to unlock scholar at level 30, odds are you'll have to level either white or black mage up to that level, and the other job to 15 as a sub. That's easier nowadays, as they've increased XP gains a few months ago.

Nuking jobs are expected to help with healing anyway, so while scholar can do both natively, it's not uncommon for other mage/support jobs to sub white mage for that. A friend of mine plays BLM/WHM, and that's quite common for the job.

Might as well toss in the link for those less familiar with the concept:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Support_Job

I'll finally be able to bring my laptop to my new apartment since I've found a way to deal with an electricity issue that was keeping me weary - if you end up at the Remora server look me up, I go under the name "Loona" there.

Bumping the thread because I was studying a lot and missed your message. I've already started playing (I'm on Ragnarok), and just yesterday hit BLM 18 (well, 19, since partying with a PL in the dunes gets exp quickly) and finished the SJ quest. I'll log in a moment to start raising WHM, all the way to 30, and the unlock SCH. I loved what I played from BLM, but I still want to be a SCH.

Regarding the links, thanks, but I'm pretty well informed: Before starting playing I was lurking for about two years on several FFXI forums and websites, ffxiclopedia among them.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"