The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread! - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2457 Views )

Shin Ramberk
354th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Silver Customer

"The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Wed 14 Jan 15:56post reply

Rules of the thread: Post your favorite meal, something that you cook for yourself plus what you drink with it. You may only submit one recipe and drink per post. Go!

I'll start off:

Cheese enchiladas with refried beans and Mexican salad on the side. Seven-Up or Sierra Mist to drink.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Replies:

Toxico
4625th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Wed 14 Jan 16:49post reply

quote:

tasty topic

You evil, evil man...

'Chorrillana' It's a local & easy to do dish that's pretty simple to shape up & adjust. The body of this artery buster is a huge plate of 'frieds', it is needed to add onion, people's choice meat (the juicer it is, the better for the dish), small dots of garlic, several kind of sauces (optional), it might even well with properly cooked corn any many other variable ingriedents that are requested at the time by the attendants.

The main strenght of the dish is that the serves are not meant to one person, but one dish itself is huge enough to feed 2, 3 4 or even more people depending on the plate size; so eating this with your friends, with your favourite band on the background & screaming at each other fighting over what happened in Espartaco's ending (ahoi! alternative pic) while doing the 'spoon war' over a huge plate makes you feel young again. About the drink is always, always 'black cat' wine.

Graphics examples of chorrillana (they are kinda small).
example 1

example 2

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 14/01/09 (92 personajes)

Amakusa
784th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Wed 14 Jan 17:45post reply

quote:
Rules of the thread: Post your favorite meal, something that you cook for yourself plus what you drink with it. You may only submit one recipe and drink per post. Go!

When you say 'self-cooked' for some reason I thought you meant something that cooked itself. I was reading the quest text for a World of Warcraft quest the other day where some crazy batshit gnome wants you to kill a bunch of lava lizards because the meat on them is already cooked.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Holiday
2598th Post

"Re(1):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Wed 14 Jan 17:54:post reply

Charbroiled steak with baby potatoes, iceberg lettuce and a nice glass of wine. Great thing is that everything be done in 15 minutes.

Good thing I have no smoke detector at my place. Charbroiling makes my place look like Tibet!

[edit]
Oh yeah you wanted the recipe as well. Well I just rub salt, pepper and oil on my steaks. If I'm using a cheap cut I jaccard it as well. Heat up your pan, throw it on and cook till you're happy with it.

For the potatoes, I just toss it in some oil and salt and throw it on the pan after the steak is done.

I shred the Iceberg lettuce and serve it with a basic vinaigrette of olive oil + salt + vinegar, or something else thrown in depending on my mood (mustard, spices etc.). Iceberg and steak go very well together I think!

For the wine, well I usually have a bottle opened all the time so I drink what's available.

[this message was edited by Holiday on Wed 14 Jan 18:02]

karasu99
45th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Thu 15 Jan 01:47post reply

Mine is very simple (compared to what's already been given), but it's a staple for when I'm cooking for myself:

One cup of cooked short-grain rice, seasoned with rice vinegar.
Top with tofu braised in a sweet soy, sesame, and ginger sauce.
A side of fresh, lightly steamed kale seasoned with black pepper and sea salt. Or for the kale-averse, some nice broccoli. Or whatever is in season.
Drink with a bottle of a favorite local brew, Rogue "Double Dead Guy" ale.

Mokona
463th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Thu 15 Jan 02:19:post reply

I do a pretty good pizza from scratch (the only thing is I use some "just add water" powder for the crust, but I've already done my own crust too, it's just to be faster). Having been doing one once a week since 2006 makes me pretty good at it too.

I'll submit my famous pork stirfry though. I put some rice in the cooker (somewhat sticky, not sushi rice, but italian style). Cut some pork in little cubes, cook it in a wok with a little olive oil. Add veggies (I use Arctic Garden frozen "Thai mix" veggies). Add sauce (I use some powdered stuff, you just add a little oil, soy sauce, sugar, peanut butter and water).

It's one of my wife's favourites, I also do it once a week. As for the drink, I usually just drink tap water.

Blah!

[this message was edited by Mokona on Thu 15 Jan 02:19]

Mokona
463th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Thu 15 Jan 02:26post reply

quote:
'Chorrillana' It's a local & easy to do dish that's pretty simple to shape up & adjust. The body of this artery buster is a huge plate of 'frieds', it is needed to add onion, people's choice meat (the juicer it is, the better for the dish), small dots of garlic, several kind of sauces (optional), it might even well with properly cooked corn any many other variable ingriedents that are requested at the time by the attendants.

The main strenght of the dish is that the serves are not meant to one person, but one dish itself is huge enough to feed 2, 3 4 or even more people depending on the plate size; so eating this with your friends, with your favourite band on the background & screaming at each other fighting over what happened in Espartaco's ending (ahoi! alternative pic) while doing the 'spoon war' over a huge plate makes you feel young again. About the drink is always, always 'black cat' wine.

Graphics examples of chorrillana (they are kinda small).
example 1

example 2

Man that looks good. There's a typical dish in Quebec Province of Canada (where I live) called Poutine that is similar in a way. It's fries with cheese curds on top and some gravy poured over (artery buster indeed), but there are some variations that include meat and look a lot like your dish. Geeze, you made me hungry!

Also, you made me a 10-year-old again with that pic from Les Mondes Engloutis. I used to wake up at 6:30 am to watch that show when I was a kid... I do not remember the ending, I'll have to get the DVDs someday.

Blah!

Maou
1569th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Thu 15 Jan 11:36post reply

カレー/Japanese curry, a big ol' vat for everyone. Strangely enough, to drink: milk!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

nobinobita
466th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Thu 15 Jan 12:20post reply

Toro
Chinese style Pork Belly
Yuengling

Great thread!

Time Mage
2755th Post

"Re(2):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Thu 15 Jan 19:04post reply

In summer, I make gazpacho quite often. There's nothing more delicious than a cold bowl of gazpacho with some good bread.

Everyone has their own gazpacho recipe, and mine is as following (for 4 people): put in a mixer a medium-sized clove of garlic, a medium-sized green pepper, a medium-sized cucumber (peel it before adding it), 1 Kg of red, ripe tomatoes (this is very important, the quality of the tomatoes is the key), one spoonful of salt, one spoonful of vinegar, and 4-5 spoonfuls of olive oil. Remember to cut everything a bit so that it fits well in the mixer, and to discard the hardest parts of the tomatoes (the white part on this image).

Once everything is added, mix them (add some fresh water if at first it can't mix it well), and wait until it becomes a thick, homogeneous mixture. Use a colander to remove the various seeds, rests of skin, etc, and add some fresh water. Serve very cold, and there you go! You can accompany it with some chopped up hardboiled egg, green pepper, or my favorite: soaking pieces of good bread it it.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

karasu99
46th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Thu 15 Jan 22:44post reply

quote:
In summer, I make gazpacho quite often.

Mmm! You're making me long for warmer weather. I love gazpacho!

ZamIAm
1764th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Fri 16 Jan 02:00post reply

I've gotten into making sweet potato waffles. No real preference for the drink though juice is good.

Holiday
2598th Post

"Re(4):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Fri 16 Jan 06:01post reply

Yeah gazpacho is great. I was forced to make it once after I found out that I had run out of cooking gas
Having an immersion blender helps a lot when making this. Just blend everything in a container -> put in fridge. I'm usually too lazy to strain mine!

Time Mage
2756th Post

"Re(5):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Fri 16 Jan 06:46post reply

quote:
I'm usually too lazy to strain mine!

But... but... It's fundamental! You don't get the same texture without straining it.

And I forgot to mention it, but Chorrillana looks... :D~~

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Black_Hayato
229th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Fri 16 Jan 13:50:post reply

Sweet n Sour Ham n Cabbage

I'm on a budget right now and this is a good meal that will last for almost a whole week for less than 20 dollars. The broth is especially good. Plus its scalable and a la carte. You mainly need, ham steak, cabbage, chicken broth, cider, honey and some spices.

Real easy and quick.

also pretty good:
Smoky-Spicy Sweet Potato Soup

[this message was edited by Black_Hayato on Fri 16 Jan 17:06]

Holiday
2599th Post

"Re(6):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Sat 17 Jan 01:21post reply

Time Mage:
Yeah, straining it makes the texture more wonderful. The smoothness is especially nice when you eat the gazpacho very very cold. Then again I also usually eat it with crusty, old bread so I don't mind it being a bit chunky.

Exodus will die if he sees that Chorrillana pic (if he's still vegetarian)

Black_Hayato:
Interesting recipes. I never imagined using hash browns like that. I guess it tastes pretty strong, but I'm curious enough to try it. Getting some of the ingredients here is a pain though.

>> 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
I never knew that EVOO was an acronym! The more you know.

Ktallguy
1067th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(7):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Sat 17 Jan 05:33post reply

I'm gonna be living in Japan by myself soon, which means that I'll need to start getting serious about cooking quick meals for myself.

I imagine it's simple enough to make things like okonomiyaki, but I'm wondering what quick meals people here prefer to make? I don't want to live on combini food forever!

Play to win.

Toxico
4628th Post

"Re(8):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Sat 17 Jan 08:42post reply

quote:
but I'm wondering what quick meals people here prefer to make? I don't want to live on combini food forever!

Learn how to make some really good noodles or some really good rice, once they are good enough you'll start adding ingredients to it by nature. In time, something like 30 minutes you'll wind up with some interesting combinations.

Also soups. They are mostly quick, clean & tasty.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 16/01/09 (96 personajes)

Spoon
1718th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(9):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Sat 17 Jan 13:25:post reply

quote:
I don't wanna die

I've always heard stories about people living on instant noodles, but those people are even dumber than the stories would say.

Instant noodles are just too expensive to live on, unless you are only eating like once or twice a day. Sure, the price of rice has gone way up in the past while, but even when people are complaining about rice being $1 USd/lb, but think about how much 1 lb of raw rice is compared to 1 bag of instant noodles (or even 2 or 3 bags).

If you aren't comfortable with the preparation and cooking of raw meat yet, it's fine to get some ready-to-eat (or practically ready to eat, like sausages) meat from the supermarket. This saves you from the time/effort needed to deal with raw stuff, while letting you experiment with it more freely.

I've always liked fried rice. To be honest, it should probably be called "refried rice", since it's usually made with yesterday's rice. The ingredients change depending on whatever I have available. I think of it like the grilled sandwich made of whatever you happen to have, except bigger and more filling and easier to share between 4 people. It is always good, because when you need to make it, everybody is always already in a hunger-induced daze. As such, the most common drinks that go with it are water, and nothing. The nothing is usually replaced with tea afterwards, as people will only have the mental capacity to do such things as brewing tea after having eaten food.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Sat 17 Jan 13:26]

Holiday
2600th Post

"Re(8):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Sat 17 Jan 15:18post reply

quote:
I'm gonna be living in Japan by myself soon, which means that I'll need to start getting serious about cooking quick meals for myself.

Actually Okonomiyaki can be quite hard to make

First of all, learning to cook rice is important. Most people just use a rice cooker and you can get a small one for pretty cheap. If you're more hardcore you can cook rice on a stovetop though! But another nice thing about rice cookers is that they keep the rice warm after it's cooked, so you can leave it to cook and forget about it.

And like spoon said, fried rice is nice with leftover rice, so you can cook more rice than usual and save the leftovers for this.

Miso soup is also brain dead easy to make. Just buy some miso paste and stir into water off the boil. If you're super lazy buy miso paste that comes with dashi in it so you don't have to add much more seasonings. You can put lots of things in the liquid (mushrooms, meat, veggies, tofu).

Learn how to cook Japanese curry too! Basic recipe = brown vegetables and meat in a pot, season, add water and throw in some Japanese curry roux cubes. Heat the mixture up some more until it's thickened nicely and you're done. Great thing is that you can make a large batch and it'll last you for a few days. You can also dilute the mixture some more to make curry soup that goes well with udon noodles.

There are also lots of other thing you can make from Japanese roux cubes - cream stews, beef stews etc.

Kikkoken
1189th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(9):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Sat 17 Jan 21:37post reply

My favourite on-the-go dish is a plateful of frog legs'n snails (all honouable French guys have a bucketload of freshly-severed frog legs in their fridge, to impress the girls).
Get the legs, boil them in the snails' slime with salt for 20 minutes, and serve with a side-salad of you choice. For a bit of crust,you can grind the snails' shells and spray the powder on the salad.
To finish the dish, pour the content of a 37.2 °Turkish salty yoghurt on the frogs. Enjoy this dish with a loveable friend.

Ishmael
3375th Post

"Re(9):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Sun 18 Jan 06:11post reply

quote:
First of all, learning to cook rice is important. Most people just use a rice cooker and you can get a small one for pretty cheap. If you're more hardcore you can cook rice on a stovetop though! But another nice thing about rice cookers is that they keep the rice warm after it's cooked, so you can leave it to cook and forget about it.

Speaking of which, is there a particular brand of rice cooker that people recommend? My current one is getting a bit dinged up but I'm uncertain what I should be looking for in a replacement.

This thread is putting the cafe back in MMCafe.

Iron D
3152th Post

"Re(10):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Sun 18 Jan 07:04post reply

quote:

Couldn't you also say that this thread puts the "MM" in MMCafe?

Er.....

Spoon
1718th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Re(10):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Th" , posted Sun 18 Jan 08:30post reply

quote:

just like a Mmmmmmmmmmuffins?

nobinobita
468th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Sun 18 Jan 08:49:post reply

quote:

Speaking of which, is there a particular brand of rice cooker that people recommend? My current one is getting a bit dinged up but I'm uncertain what I should be looking for in a replacement.

Get a cheap one. I've been using a $20 rice cooker from a Chinese market for the last 2 years and it works perfectly every time. There's really no advantage to the more expensive ones other than that they can keep the rice warm all day (usually drying it out in the process).

The only advice I have is to avoid the really small ones. Even if you're only feeding yourself, its handy to have a bigger one so you can eat the same pot of rice all day.

For a fun read on rice cookers, check out this recent entry from Roger Ebert's blog:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2008/11/the_pot_and_how_to_use_it.html

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Sun 18 Jan 09:32]

EddyT
779th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Th" , posted Sun 18 Jan 09:47post reply

quote:

No, you need T.Hawk to put the MM in MMCafe.

Because when he does his 360 throw he goes MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Iron D
3153th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Th" , posted Sun 18 Jan 12:13post reply

quote:

Because when he does his 360 throw he goes MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

So does Shin Mr. Karate in SvC: Chaos whenever he does his super uppercut.

*Attempts to jump in on Shin Mr. Karate*

Shin Mr. Karate: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

*Dies*

Er.....

EddyT
780th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Th" , posted Mon 19 Jan 00:37post reply

quote:

So does Shin Mr. Karate in SvC: Chaos whenever he does his super uppercut.

*Attempts to jump in on Shin Mr. Karate*

Shin Mr. Karate: MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

*Dies*

We need a new thread:

A vs B: Who will win?

First match: Shin Mr. Karate Vs. T.Hawk

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

KTallguy
1068th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Th" , posted Mon 19 Jan 02:27post reply

You guys rock.

I have a medium sized Zojiurshi rice cooker, and I recommend it even though it's more expensive than most. It's very reliable and you can set it to have rice ready at a certain time (like, after you get home from a date! Girls love the smell of cooked rice!).

It's funny, because if I have a recipe book and go to a US supermarket, I can make whatever is in the book, but the "go-to quick dishes" are really the focus here.

I've made some interesting fried rice in my day. Some of the weird things I've added: Edamame, squid, marinated bell pepper, (no frog legs or yogurt yet!)

One time I had a Japanese sweet potato, and I made these cinnimmon french fries with it using cinnimmon and brown sugar and some kind of oil to get it to stick on the potato. That turned out better than I expected.

One last tip: If you want rice that's ready to go any time, and you have a freezer and microwave, this tactic is great.

1. Make a ton of rice. I've mainly done this with Japanese rice.

2. Take out a person sized portion and arrange it nicely on top of a square of plastic wrap (saran wrap).

3. Wrap the rice while it's still warm, but make sure that the plastic doesn't get caught between the warm rice grains.

4. Stick in freezer.

Then, whenever you need rice, all you have to do is take out the rice packet, throw it in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, and take that and put it in a bowl. The freezing process also saves the moisture in the rice, so it doesn't come out dry, and it's very awesome for a quick meal or for preparing rice for frying.

Happy cooking!

Play to win.

Maou
1571th Post

"Re(10):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Mon 19 Jan 03:07post reply

quote:

ISH: I know some people say any cooker will do, but I say only Zoujirushi. They are the best, and everyone uses them. I've heard about people having annoying episodes with cheaper cookers, but nary a one with my beloved elephant brand. Strong words, but then, this is a Cafe, and we should not mince (hohoh) words. I just made two cups of rice and a pot of curry last night.

Holiday
2602th Post

"Re(10):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Mon 19 Jan 04:48post reply

>> Kikkoken
How can you have a complete meal of frogs and snails without puppy dog tails

>> Ishmael
For rice cooker brands, yeah Zojiurshi is one of the best, but I've used a Panasonic with good results as well. Get those new ones with the non-stick interior for easier washing up. Also, it's much much easier to cook brown rice in a rice cooker that has a brown rice cooking function as you have to presoak the grains first and cook them longer.
Rice cookers are also good for easy congee / okayu (japanese rice porridge).
Personally if I want quick small portions of rice I just nuke them in the microwave. I use a small claypot, add rice and water, and cook for about 15 minutes on medium. Let it rest for a few minutes when it's done and that's it.

>> KTallguy
Wow it's been a long time since I made frozen rice. I used microwave safe ziplock bags instead of clingwrap though. And yeah. the trick is to freeze them when they're still warm.

Maou
1574th Post

"best topic" , posted Mon 19 Jan 06:30:post reply

Shin, this is my favorite thread in a while...also like that it's yet another reminder of the many places/backgrounds the Cafe's fun clientele come from.

So, I like this enough I'm doing round two: I submit my spaghetti/American sloppy Joe supercombo:

Cut up beef, mix with tomato sauce, crushed garlic (garlic salt will do, but real garlic is really such a delight/necessity), basil, bay leaf, oregano, fennel (if one likes fennel), black pepper, and simmer for many minutes. This is a good special. But for your Super Arts, you must use the leftovers for the next day by adding 1/3 proportion of sour cream and then serving on a hamburger bun for the mysteriously named Sloppy Joe, a weird American conversion of spaghetti that I haven't seen elsewhere.

Drinks: spaghetti merits red wine, Sloppy Joe's probably deserves milk.

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 19 Jan 06:34]

Ishmael
3377th Post

"Re(1):best topic" , posted Mon 19 Jan 07:12post reply

Thanks for all the advice on rice cooker replacements. My cheap little cooker with its simple "cook rice/don't cook rice" switch has served me well but it may be time to upgrade to a cooker that has a wider variety of features.

nobinobita
469th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):best topic" , posted Mon 19 Jan 10:10:post reply

quote:

Drinks: spaghetti merits red wine, Sloppy Joe's probably deserves milk.

Nice recipes!

Speaking of wine, I recently started to make spiced wine. It's quick, cheap and easy and packs a nice warming punch. I highly recommend it to anyone who's weathering winter right now.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients: Cheap wine, sugar, 3 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, orange zest, brandy

Directions:
Empty a bottle of wine (or two or three) into a pot, heat it on the stove until its just under simmering. Watch for a little bit of steam to rise from it.

As it's heating add 3 cloves

Grate cinnamon to taste (or put in the whole stick).

Add sugar to taste.

Take an orange and grate some peel to taste.

Stir it around a little bit, as soon as its about to simmer it's ready (don't boil it).

Take some brandy, put maybe half a shot into a mug. Ladle some hot wine in there and you are set. If possible, drink it from a mug shaped like a shoe or Xmas stocking.

When making this I highly advise using cheap wine as the spices as the spices and sugar will overpower the taste of the wine. I like using two buck chuck from Trader Joes.

This stuff is great for cold weather.

If anyone else has a more proper recipe for Spiced Wine, I'd love to see it.

Cheers!

[this message was edited by nobinobita on Mon 19 Jan 10:12]

Maou
1574th Post

"Re(2):best topic" , posted Mon 19 Jan 11:36post reply

quote:

Cheers!

This sounds great, nobi...it's not wine, but after swearing each year that I was going to make Wassail around Christmas time, we finally made some of this spiced punch, and it was gooood. Brandy, cloves, cinnamon, fried apples...all makes for a good winter's hot drink.

EddyT
781th Post

"Re(3):best topic" , posted Mon 19 Jan 18:14post reply

I hope MadMan himself contributes to this thread. He's quite the chef.

For the most part, when I do have time to cook, I prefer stir-fry... but once in a while I'll make spaghetti or basic chicken wings with panko all over.

ZamIAm
1765th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Iron D" , posted Tue 20 Jan 00:13post reply

And where is your food contribution sir?

Tai-Pan
345th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):best topic" , posted Tue 20 Jan 03:21post reply

Well I personally like to prepare pasta (spaghetti, ravioli etc). I serve it with a bottle of good wine and good bread). And I would never give away my recipes but thank you for yours!!

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Maou
1575th Post

"Re(4):best topic" , posted Tue 20 Jan 07:47post reply

quote:
Well I personally like to prepare pasta (spaghetti, ravioli etc). I serve it with a bottle of good wine and good bread). And I would never give away my recipes but thank you for yours!!

Tai-pan, I'll use my thief's ability (see other thread) to get your recipies, which I am curious about...there shall be no "eat and run!"

Here, I'll add another easy but delightful meal to the mix that I'm making tonight, Omuraisu, Omelette Rice. Omelette with ketchup-mixed rice inside, mayonnaise on top. "Soul food" of a certain sort.

Maese Spt
466th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):best topic" , posted Wed 21 Jan 00:52post reply

This topic's influence is truly evil. Goaded by all this food talk I decided to try some baking experiments regarding indian style hotcakes to go with curry, a venture wich has put my kitchen on the verge of collapse for a good 2 days. Now my entire apartment is covered with a thin white powder layer, as if a bunch of Colombian gangsters had been partying hard all night at my place. Argh.

Anyway, I think I'll try that spiced wine mentioned above, it reminds me the stuff Ulysses and his merry friends used to drink during their orgiesbanquets on the Odissey.

Also, it seems I have been a master cooker of chorrillana for years without even knowing it!

Toxico
4634th Post

"Re(6):best topic" , posted Wed 21 Jan 01:36post reply

quote:
...a venture wich has put my kitchen on the verge of collapse for a good 2 days. Now my entire apartment is covered with a thin white powder layer, as if a bunch of Colombian gangsters had been partying hard all night at my place.

Creating a pile of smoke big enough to poison every person on a 2 blocks raidus is a natural (?) part of what cooking is. The main point is not leaving the experiments there, being an ugly & twisted memory; but being constant enough in your attempts so that those mistakes are corrected, improved & eventually become recepies that you can easily do on your own.

I remember I tactically grew scales the first time I made frieds, more than 10 years ago (don't ask), bur after tasting danger for so long I can now make perfectly healty & eadible potato based dishes

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 17/01/09 (96 personajes)

Ktallguy
1070th Post

"Re(2):best topic" , posted Wed 21 Jan 04:59post reply

quote:

Cheers!

I looove spiced wine!

Try putting apples/raisins in the mix if you like munching on something as you drink. The raisins get all plump as they absorb the liquid. It's awwesome.

Play to win.

Mokona
464th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):best topic" , posted Thu 22 Jan 02:10post reply

I'm at work and salivating reading the new entries... and at home, my Crock Pot is cooking some Chicken in a Curry-Dijon sauce.

Man, I can't wait for tonight!

Blah!

Oroch
1052th Post

"Re(1):The Favorite Self-Cooked Meal Thread!" , posted Thu 22 Jan 02:44:post reply

butter chicken with white long grain basmati and a some white wine, after dinner some crappy HAG decaf coffee and a nice lemon-mint shisha

*restaurants put sugar and ketchup in their butter chicken

[this message was edited by Oroch on Thu 22 Jan 02:45]

HAYATO
894th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):best topic" , posted Thu 22 Jan 17:00post reply

quote:

Cheers!

I looove spiced wine!

Try putting apples/raisins in the mix if you like munching on something as you drink. The raisins get all plump as they absorb the liquid. It's awwesome.

I usually add some pears, dried plums and peach bits and, after the concoction is ready I use to sepparate the solid parts with a colander. This way, you can use the pears and plums to prepare some warm desserts!!