Comic books - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1872 Views )

ONSLAUGHT
3791th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Comic books" , posted Sat 10 Jan 10:53post reply

So, I just finished reading Black Summer and Wanted, and was wondering if you guys could recommend good comic books, any kind will do, as long as they're good (I'm looking for miniseries mostly). I was reading Y the last man a few years ago, but I don't know if they ever finished it, and I'm still angry at Marvel for not continuing Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme (the last issue I read was the one with the Redstone Vs Hyperion fight, with Nighthawk and the Blur joining in at the end).
And please, no Manga.

Replies:

Toxico
4622th Post

"Re(1):Comic books" , posted Sat 10 Jan 12:25post reply

quote:
And please, no Manga.

I thought that Avatar had a small one shot that was supposed to happen between book 2 & book 3. Now, if you enjoyed the series or are building out fandom for the upcoming live action, I suppose picking it up for a low price (it's supposed to be old) or investigating something about it wouldn't hurt.

Also, I assume that you are up to date with most famous authors / sagas of old (I was re-reading the Dark Pheonix return & Weapon X something like 2 weeks ago, easily the 80's~90's was my favourite comic period). Lately the only thing in my mind have been dream hunters but I don't think my budget nor any kind of local store (they are worth crap here) will allow me to get it.

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 09/01/09 (76 personajes)

D`Cloud
253th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Comic books" , posted Sat 10 Jan 13:29post reply

i found all star superman delightful. its 1-12

http://www.dustinuy.com

Burning Ranger
1586th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Comic books" , posted Sat 10 Jan 13:41post reply

quote:
So, I just finished reading Black Summer and Wanted, and was wondering if you guys could recommend good comic books, any kind will do, as long as they're good (I'm looking for miniseries mostly).
And please, no Manga.

You'll want to read Kick Ass, which is an interesting take on a realistic youth superhero. Also, the same guy who wrote that is also currently doing the "Old Man Logan" story arc in Wolverine (it's not a mini-series per se, but its still very good).

Also, if it suits your fancy, Green Lantern is getting really good.

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Burning Ranger
1587th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Comic books" , posted Sat 10 Jan 13:44post reply

quote:

Oh yeah, and All-Star Batman (where the "Goddamn Batman" quote comes from). You can't go wrong with that (first 6 issues are out in hardcover). The Matt Fraction run of Invincible Iron Man.

Also, if you're into more indie stuff, I'm really fond of "Life Sucks" a graphic novel featuring vampires in an interesting and comedic way.

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Iron D
3144th Post

"Re(1):Comic books" , posted Sat 10 Jan 13:57:post reply

quote:
So, I just finished reading Black Summer and Wanted, and was wondering if you guys could recommend good comic books, any kind will do, as long as they're good (I'm looking for miniseries mostly). I was reading Y the last man a few years ago, but I don't know if they ever finished it, and I'm still angry at Marvel for not continuing Supreme Power/Squadron Supreme (the last issue I read was the one with the Redstone Vs Hyperion fight, with Nighthawk and the Blur joining in at the end).

Oh I could suggest a bunch of stuff if you don't care what kind of comics are being suggested.

First, about Y: The Last Man, it was concluded last year. Went up to issue 60, and that last issue was called the greatest single issue of last year by IGN. Haven't read it myself (or any of Y for that matter), but a lot of good things have been said about it.

Now for my recommendations: the first thing that comes to mind is We3. It's a story about a cat, dog and rabbit who are turned into military weapons. It's sad, it's gory, and it's a damn good story. Grant Morrison's the author. 3-issue mini-series that is available in trade format.

I'd also suggest Fell by Warren Ellis. This isn't really a mini, but there only 9 issues out, with the first 8 collected in a trade. Crime noir-ish type story. Very stylized and intriguing.

This one's a no-brainer, but if you haven't yet read Watchmen, you MUST find it somewhere and snatch it up.

Let me end this post by asking what you thought of Wanted. I've already read it, but I'm curious to hear what you thought of it.

EDIT:

quote:

Oh yeah, and All-Star Batman (where the "Goddamn Batman" quote comes from). You can't go wrong with that (first 6 issues are out in hardcover). The Matt Fraction run of Invincible Iron Man.

Having read the first 5 or6 issues of All Star Batman, I'd say that it was almost complete shit. Miller hasn't been good in years, and not even Jim Lee's art, while great as always, can save it. In fact, it seems that the only way that anyone can enjoy it is looking at it as an unintentionally funny story.

All Star Superman, on the other hand, is great. And this is coming from someone who normally can't stand Supes and loves Bats.

Er.....

[this message was edited by Iron D on Sat 10 Jan 14:06]

Hagen de Merak
996th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Comic books" , posted Sun 11 Jan 00:26post reply

quote:

And please, no Manga.

lol

ONSLAUGHT
3793th Post

"Re(2):Comic books" , posted Sun 11 Jan 04:01:post reply

Thanks everyone, I will try to get those books (and if that fails, well, that's why demonoid is back online). As for ASS (damn, what an acronym!), I've never liked Superman, the only good story I've read about him was Red Son.

As for Wanted, I loved it. I thought it was brilliant, like some kind of demented Watchmen (yes, I've read Watchmen many times). And yeah, this is my face while I'm fucking you in the ass!
Oh, by the way, how was the wanted movie? bad or utter crap?

[this message was edited by ONSLAUGHT on Sun 11 Jan 04:09]

dr baghead
3780th Post

"Re(2):Comic books" , posted Sun 11 Jan 05:28post reply

quote:
Oh yeah, and All-Star Batman (where the "Goddamn Batman" quote comes from). You can't go wrong with that (first 6 issues are out in hardcover).

Having read the first 5 or6 issues of All Star Batman, I'd say that it was almost complete shit. Miller hasn't been good in years, and not even Jim Lee's art, while great as always, can save it. In fact, it seems that the only way that anyone can enjoy it is looking at it as an unintentionally funny story.

Having read all of All-Star Batman I'd say it's ABSOLUTELY THE BEST BATMAN COMIC EVER.

The humor HAS to be intentional, and if it's read in a big chunk rather then 1 issue every 10 months (I'm kidding of course, they never release them that quick) running gags, and even an over arching story become more clear, so much so I wish they had made the first trade 1-8 and saved 9 for the next one, since it's pretty clear the next few books like 9 and 10 are going to be about the downfall of everything Batman has bulit... re-re-reading "Dark Knight Returns" as well shows some clear linkage between the two (I did the math but forgot the results, I believe it's 30 years between the two series, so it's kinda fun to see what got referenced, like the arcade and the DKR Batmobile being bulit in the background)

ASB is worth reading if you go in with the mind set it's an elseworld, supposed to be funny, and that Frank Miller was NEVER that good of a writer it just seemed better in the 90's

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

nobinobita
462th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Comic books" , posted Sun 11 Jan 09:57post reply

quote:
And please, no Manga.

I dunno if this is what you're looking for but there have been some really great comics from Europe. Here's a few of my recent favorites:

Sky Doll

Wizard of Oz

Blacksad

In some wonderful twist of fate, all of these comics have been transated into English. They're all top notch.

Skydoll is a fun, sexy sci-fi story with heavy Catholic themes. It's created by an artistic duo with a wide range of influences (they list Okama as one of their favorites so I approve). They got a Disney/Anime vibe going, but with a distinctly European flavor. Think of them as a more skilled version of J. Scott Campbell.

The Wizard of Oz is a virtuoso work by Enrique Fernandez, who is just really goddamn talented. He has an animation background which he fuzes with his classically empowered skills as a painter. Very very very good stuff. Some of teh best cartoony stuff you'll ever see.

Blacksad is a solid Noir story. It feels a little more like a true maudlin black and white movie than most modern revivals of Noir style storytelling. Don't be scared by the animal people. It's not furry. Though if you're into that sort of thing than you'll probably love this as well.

Oh also, check out Massive Swerve, by Robert Valley. Anyone and everyone! Please give it a shot!

He's not widely known though odds are you've seen his work before. Robert Valley is an amazing animator whose done key work on all sorts of awesome projects including:

Aeon Flux
Batman Subzero (he storyboarded it)
All the Gorillaz Videos
Aaliya's debut album
Lots of Cereal Commercials
Riddick Dark Fury
Guitar Hero II comercial
Yoshitaka Amano's 1001 Nights

As you can see he's worked all over the globe and has a really awesome, stylish worldy quality to his work. I think he should be a household name in animation, but not very many people know him. But you can buy his self published comic and support his work.

Enjoy dammit!

Iron D
3144th Post

"Re(3):Comic books" , posted Sun 11 Jan 13:56post reply

quote:

As for Wanted, I loved it. I thought it was brilliant, like some kind of demented Watchmen (yes, I've read Watchmen many times). And yeah, this is my face while I'm fucking you in the ass!
Oh, by the way, how was the wanted movie? bad or utter crap?

I didn't even bother to see it. The whole changing the oranization from super-villains to a group of uber-assassins turned me off immediately. Yes, I'm one of those geeks who looks for accuracy in their comic book movie adaptations. From what I've heard, if you put the fact that its based on the comic out of your mind (or better yet haven't read the comic) and don't mind the "mindless fun" type of movies then you might enjoy it.

Er.....

makatiel
223th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Comic books" , posted Sun 11 Jan 23:17:post reply

quote:

All Star Superman, on the other hand, is great. And this is coming from someone who normally can't stand Supes and loves Bats.

Is ASB the one with Robin in it? I read a couple of issues of it, then wept because Miller' writing is so damn juvenile. I used to love the guy and now I'm wondering if maybe he's mentally handicapped. What makes it worse is how much I still love Jim Lee's art.

A great series you should definitely read is Fables. Also, if you haven't already, you should pick up X-Statix, which has sadly ended. Finally, I've been reading Invincible and that's quite good too.

[this message was edited by makatiel on Sun 11 Jan 23:18]

Iron D
3146th Post

"Re(3):Comic books" , posted Sun 11 Jan 23:43post reply

quote:

Is ASB the one with Robin in it? I read a couple of issues of it, then wept because Miller' writing is so damn juvenile. I used to love the guy and now I'm wondering if maybe he's mentally handicapped. What makes it worse is how much I still love Jim Lee's art.

A great series you should definitely read is Fables. Also, if you haven't already, you should pick up X-Statix, which has sadly ended. Finally, I've been reading Invincible and that's quite good too.

Regarding ASB, that's the one.

Otherwise, I gotta say that you're a man after my own heart. You mentioned 2 of my 3 favorite ongoing series in one post. I would have suggested these to Onsie, if he hadn't said that he preferred minis.

Fables and Invincible do both kick all kinds of ass. I'm about to read the 11th trade of Fables (which is about the war between Fabletown and the Empire), and the 8th trade of Invincible (which...well I'm not sure what it's about yet...).

Er.....

makatiel
223th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Comic books" , posted Mon 12 Jan 08:57post reply

quote:
Regarding ASB, that's the one.

Otherwise, I gotta say that you're a man after my own heart. You mentioned 2 of my 3 favorite ongoing series in one post. I would have suggested these to Onsie, if he hadn't said that he preferred minis.

Fables and Invincible do both kick all kinds of ass. I'm about to read the 11th trade of Fables (which is about the war between Fabletown and the Empire), and the 8th trade of Invincible (which...well I'm not sure what it's about yet...).

I won't tell you what they were about, but I will tell you that I just picked up and read both trades 2 days ago and they were both pretty great.

I especially like the Invincible trades because of the writer and artist's commentary and sketches in the back. So funny and cool.

Iron D, something I recently enjoyed also (especially for the art), was Madame Mirage, by Paul Dini (who I'm sure you've heard of) and some newcomer to comics Kenneth Rocafort. Maybe take a look at it the next time you are in a comic store.

ONSLAUGHT
3793th Post

"Is gud man" , posted Mon 12 Jan 11:22post reply

quote:
the first thing that comes to mind is We3.

I just read this, and damn, it's a vey sad story... I don't know, but for some reason, it brought a tear to my eye.

sfried
324th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Comic books" , posted Mon 12 Jan 12:00:post reply

quote:
I dunno if this is what you're looking for but there have been some really great comics from Europe. Here's a few of my recent favorites:

Sky Doll

Wizard of Oz

Blacksad

In some wonderful twist of fate, all of these comics have been transated into English. They're all top notch.

Skydoll is a fun, sexy sci-fi story with heavy Catholic themes. It's created by an artistic duo with a wide range of influences (they list Okama as one of their favorites so I approve). They got a Disney/Anime vibe going, but with a distinctly European flavor. Think of them as a more skilled version of J. Scott Campbell.

The Wizard of Oz is a virtuoso work by Enrique Fernandez, who is just really goddamn talented. He has an animation background which he fuzes with his classically empowered skills as a painter. Very very very good stuff. Some of teh best cartoony stuff you'll ever see.

Blacksad is a solid Noir story. It feels a little more like a true maudlin black and white movie than most modern revivals of Noir style storytelling. Don't be scared by the animal people. It's not furry. Though if you're into that sort of thing than you'll probably love this as well.
I liked Sky Doll.

I've been meaning to get around the original Barbarella comics. It's too bad many European hits are not widely available in this yank-saturated comic book industry.

And I miss Asterix. I used to read that when I was a kid.

[this message was edited by sfried on Mon 12 Jan 12:01]

Iron D
3147th Post

"Re(5):Comic books" , posted Mon 12 Jan 16:58post reply

quote:

Iron D, something I recently enjoyed also (especially for the art), was Madame Mirage, by Paul Dini (who I'm sure you've heard of) and some newcomer to comics Kenneth Rocafort. Maybe take a look at it the next time you are in a comic store.

I have heard of it, but you are the first person to recommend it to me. Is it a mini or an ongoing, and is it available in trade format? Paul Dini can be hit or miss...Detective Comics right now is pretty decent, but Countdown to Final Crisis was complete and utter shit.

quote:

I just read this, and damn, it's a vey sad story... I don't know, but for some reason, it brought a tear to my eye.

Yeah, I got a little emotional too. At least the ending is, for the most part, a happy one.

Er.....

Time Mage
2751th Post

"Re(5):Comic books" , posted Mon 12 Jan 18:44post reply

I third Fables, is a truly exceptional comic series, with great characterization, interesting situations, and great drawing.

By the way, I'm also angry at Supreme Power being discontinued. You can blame Joe "Eh, it's magic!" Quesada for it >_<

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

D`Cloud
254th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):Comic books" , posted Mon 12 Jan 20:56post reply

i loved 52. you could also try that. 4 volumes.

Time Mage
2752th Post

"Re(7):Comic books" , posted Mon 12 Jan 21:05post reply

quote:

The problem with 52 is that the ending is totally stupid. There's so many awesome things in the middle that I was expecting something even greater in the end... Just to find it's the crap we've seen before with a facelift.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Iron D
3149th Post

"Re(8):Comic books" , posted Tue 13 Jan 01:01post reply

quote:

The problem with 52 is that the ending is totally stupid. There's so many awesome things in the middle that I was expecting something even greater in the end... Just to find it's the crap we've seen before with a facelift.

Really? You thought the ending was stupid? I liked it, as it was COMPLETELY out of left field and there was no indication that 52 was headed in that direction at all.

52 was definitely slow at times, but for the most part was an enjoyable read. And it was of course sooooooooo much better than Countdown.

Er.....

D`Cloud
255th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(8):Comic books" , posted Tue 13 Jan 01:25post reply

quote:

I dont know. I enjoyed not the plot, but the emotional character development from issue 1 to 52. Everything in the beginning that happened was nicely set up. and its the first 52 issue weekly comics.

Now countdown, thats a "great disaster" pun intended. Poor captain atom, involved in 2 crossover disasters.

Time Mage
2753th Post

"Re(9):Comic books" , posted Tue 13 Jan 01:55post reply

quote:

Really? You thought the ending was stupid? I liked it, as it was COMPLETELY out of left field and there was no indication that 52 was headed in that direction at all.

52 was definitely slow at times, but for the most part was an enjoyable read. And it was of course sooooooooo much better than Countdown.

I actually found 52 very enjoyable, indeed. But the final twist was, in my opinion, quite stupid. Yeah, it was unexpected an all, but I just don't like the way it just

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
returned to the multiverse.

End of Spoiler

Well, to be honest, I didn't like the Crisis event that lead to it either. I'm a fan of more intimate stories, so comics that consist of splash pages of all the heroes in the world uniting their efforts in a desperate struggle against an unthinkably powerful enemy aren't usually my cup of tea... I am digressing a bit, am I? What I mean is that most events in 52 were not that epic, but rather centered around certain characters, as D'Cloud points out, and that's what I liked. But when in the end,

you find that this is an epic fight to save not the universe, but all 52 realities that were left from Luthor's manipulation in the Crisis...

End of Spoiler

Things get out of hand and get pretty stupid in a moment, in my opinion.

D`Cloud
256th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(10):Comic books" , posted Tue 13 Jan 03:10post reply

i thought it was fine. 52 touched on everything from space, magic, street level and finally the multiverse.

I thought the ending fits. as booster started out as a defamed super hero to... the savior of the multiverse albeit nobody knows. the story doesnt really revolve on the multiverse per se. it could've been just earth. the multiverse is pretty much trivial to the story

End of Spoiler

makatiel
225th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):Comic books" , posted Tue 13 Jan 04:03:post reply

quote:

I have heard of it, but you are the first person to recommend it to me. Is it a mini or an ongoing, and is it available in trade format? Paul Dini can be hit or miss...Detective Comics right now is pretty decent, but Countdown to Final Crisis was complete and utter shit.

I haven't read too much of Paul Dini's non-Detective Comics stuff, but when I saw this I thought I might was well pick it up and see. I liked it generally, but what I really liked was the art and just Madame Mirage's "look".

Rocafort's art was very nice. It's not as technical as Jim Lee and not really as flared and exciting as Bill Sinkievicz (sp?), but kind of somewhere in between - maybe like a really toned down, non-crack addicted Jae Lee. Of course some panels look better than others.

Anyway, I'd easily recommend you to at least take a look at the art, preferably before you buy. If you share my taste in artists (Jim Lee, Joe Mad, Alan Davis, old Arthur Adams, Bill Sinkievicz, old Dale Keown, others...), you may like this guy Rocafort.

BTW, I forgot to ask and you never mentioned... what's the third series that you really enjoy, other than Fables and Invincible? If it's something I don't read now, I'd love to pick it up and see.

EDIT: I just remembered one more series to recommend: Preacher. Awesome, ridiculous, raunchy, bad-taste, low-brow, disgusting fun.

[this message was edited by makatiel on Tue 13 Jan 04:10]

Iron D
3150th Post

"Re(7):Comic books" , posted Tue 13 Jan 16:04post reply

quote:

I haven't read too much of Paul Dini's non-Detective Comics stuff, but when I saw this I thought I might was well pick it up and see. I liked it generally, but what I really liked was the art and just Madame Mirage's "look".

Rocafort's art was very nice. It's not as technical as Jim Lee and not really as flared and exciting as Bill Sinkievicz (sp?), but kind of somewhere in between - maybe like a really toned down, non-crack addicted Jae Lee. Of course some panels look better than others.

Anyway, I'd easily recommend you to at least take a look at the art, preferably before you buy. If you share my taste in artists (Jim Lee, Joe Mad, Alan Davis, old Arthur Adams, Bill Sinkievicz, old Dale Keown, others...), you may like this guy Rocafort.

Sure. I'll take a look once I get some cash, but I have to ask again: is it a mini or an ongoing, and is it collected in any trades yet?

quote:
BTW, I forgot to ask and you never mentioned... what's the third series that you really enjoy, other than Fables and Invincible? If it's something I don't read now, I'd love to pick it up and see.

EDIT: I just remembered one more series to recommend: Preacher. Awesome, ridiculous, raunchy, bad-taste, low-brow, disgusting fun.

That would be The Goon. The way you just described Preacher? I'd describe The Goon the same way, except that I would add that it's also one of the most consistently funny comics I've ever read. It's definitely dark humor. Eric Powell's art is pretty consistently awesome, and the stories run the complete gamut of emotions from sad to hilarious. The character development is consistent and well done, and the book has the greatest cast of characters I can think of outside of my other big two.

quote:

I'm a fan of more intimate stories, so comics that consist of splash pages of all the heroes in the world uniting their efforts in a desperate struggle against an unthinkably powerful enemy aren't usually my cup of tea...

Well Time Mage, based on your comment here, I can see hw you wouldn't like the ending. The bulk of 52 was these smaller scale character development stories that you talked about, but by the end it had turned into one of the larger scale splash page type of deals.

In fact, based on what you said here, I'd highly suggest Goon to you as well. It's chock full of character development, and isn't one of those two-page spread big event type books.

Er.....

Samson
120th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Comic books" , posted Tue 13 Jan 19:45post reply

I'm having a hard time finding comics that I'm willing to read twice.
Most of the things are read and and forget and that's too bad.

The one series that I've read several times and will read again is Preacher. The best comics ever. The art turned me off at first, which I'm ashamed of since now I consider Steve Dillon as one of the best artist in comics.
Hehe writing this just decided me to read the series again !

I really recommand Planetary, but the end has not been collected yet...

Another must read is That Yellow Bastard (Sin City). The best art+drama of the entire series IMO.

ONSLAUGHT
3794th Post

"Re(9):Comic books" , posted Wed 14 Jan 00:38post reply

quote:

Another must read is That Yellow Bastard (Sin City). The best art+drama of the entire series IMO.

Preacher was great, I think I will read it again as well. As for Sin City, TYB was good, but I prefer The Hard Goodbye.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3647th Post

"Re(10):Comic books" , posted Wed 14 Jan 04:15post reply

Try Hiboru no Shiwa.

I cried at the part when Akira left Miko forever.

sfried
324th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Comic books" , posted Wed 14 Jan 08:20post reply

quote:
Try Hiboru no Shiwa.

Uh, he did say "no manga".

Iron D
3151th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Comic books" , posted Wed 14 Jan 14:23post reply

quote:
Try Hiboru no Shiwa.

Dude, it's JJJ: the same Cafe member that once posted Japanese girl eating another Japanese girl's shit as it came out of her ass. I assure you, he's ignoring the "no manga" thing to pick on Onsy.

Er.....

shin ramberk
353th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Comic books" , posted Wed 14 Jan 15:51post reply

Has anyone read Scott Pilgrim?

I'm in the middle of reading the first volume. It is an American made manga romance-adventure-comedy. The story revolves around a slacker 23 year-old who is trying to win the heart of some girl. The fun part is the geeky comedy involved in the story. Video game and comic book pop culture plays heavily in the storyline. For example, Scott has to beat the seven ex-boyfriends before he can win the girl. When Scott goes to the convenience store he determines what soft drink to buy based on what power up he perceives he'll get from the drink. Its a well written story with a ton of fun geeky references. The other big plus is that it may have some fantasy elements, its not another super hero comic book.

Highly recommended!

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Megane
445th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Comic books" , posted Wed 14 Jan 17:22post reply

Ditto on Scott Pilgrim. It's pretty neat.

makatiel
225th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):Comic books" , posted Thu 15 Jan 03:05post reply

quote:
re: Madame Mirage
Sure. I'll take a look once I get some cash, but I have to ask again: is it a mini or an ongoing, and is it collected in any trades yet?

Oops, sorry about that. As far as I know, it's a mini that has all been collected into one trade. A one time, $15 investment then you're done. To be honest though, I wouldn't mind if there were more.

nobinobita
465th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Comic books" , posted Thu 15 Jan 11:20post reply

quote:
Try Hiboru no Shiwa.

I think he was making a joke.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3648th Post

"Re(1):Is gud man" , posted Mon 2 Feb 17:26post reply

quote:

it's because you have a soft spot for animals, you monster

i'm currently reading this. on the last issue right now. even though Iron D says it ends well, i think i'm going to be even more sad in a few minutes

dr baghead
3782th Post

"Re(3):Comic books" , posted Fri 6 Feb 22:43post reply

quote:

Having read all of All-Star Batman I'd say it's ABSOLUTELY THE BEST BATMAN COMIC EVER.

The humor HAS to be intentional, and if it's read in a big chunk rather then 1 issue every 10 months (I'm kidding of course, they never release them that quick) running gags, and even an over arching story become more clear, so much so I wish they had made the first trade 1-8 and saved 9 for the next one, since it's pretty clear the next few books like 9 and 10 are going to be about the downfall of everything Batman has bulit... re-re-reading "Dark Knight Returns" as well shows some clear linkage between the two (I did the math but forgot the results, I believe it's 30 years between the two series, so it's kinda fun to see what got referenced, like the arcade and the DKR Batmobile being bulit in the background)

ASB is worth reading if you go in with the mind set it's an elseworld, supposed to be funny, and that Frank Miller was NEVER that good of a writer it just seemed better in the 90's

I just found and read a copy of "The Dark Knight Strikes Again" and as I was hoping it adds another level to "All-Star Batman"

The amount of call backs is great...

I love that Hal's line of "You were right Bruce; We're criminals, We were always criminals, We HAVE to be criminals" in DKSA is actually spoke to him by Bruce in All-Star Batman

And although unrelated the fact someone in DKSA says "He's the goddamn President and he can do whatever he goddamn wants!" is very similar to Batman's line "I'm goddamn batman and I call my car whatever I goddamn want!" proves Miller is aware he's writting comedy

End of Spoiler

I'm rather upset there's no news on when issue #11 is comic out (are they waiting for more art from Jim? There's mention Frank turned in scripts while working on the Spirit so they MUST have at least a couple more of those to work on... I heard All-Star Supes ended, are they waiting for All-Star Wonder Woman/GL/Batgirl to start before continuing Batman? Or are the All-Star Books just canceled and I haven't found out yet?)

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

Hagen de Merak
999th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(9):Comic books" , posted Tue 17 Feb 02:48post reply

quote:

I really recommand Planetary, but the end has not been collected yet...

fuck the end hasn't been collected yet? great i just started it