Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1970 Views )

karasu99
40th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Rare Customer

"Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sat 10 Jan 03:20post reply

I thought I would take the initiative and start a new thread to discuss the great soundtracks for Jet Set Radio, Jet Set Radio Future, and the works of Naganuma Hideki in general. Especially since we had talked so much about it over in that other thread about Holiday Gaming.

I had been thinking that a lot of the contributors never really did much else, which seemed odd to me, but then upon further investigation it turns out that some actually have. To wit: the Latch Brothers are a side project of Mike D of the Beastie Boys, and Scapegoat Wax has several albums to their name, available easily, even! It's a shame that other than these few games Naganuma hasn't been more prolific, because he's just great. His music in JSR was the game got me listening to game music again.

Oh, and Maou, I've VERY familiar with Sonic Rush-- especially Wrapped in Black!

Replies:

IkariDC
759th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sat 10 Jan 08:45:post reply

quote:
I thought I would take the initiative and start a new thread to discuss the great soundtracks for Jet Set Radio, Jet Set Radio Future, and the works of Naganuma Hideki in general. Especially since we had talked so much about it over in that other thread about Holiday Gaming.

I had been thinking that a lot of the contributors never really did much else, which seemed odd to me, but then upon further investigation it turns out that some actually have. To wit: the Latch Brothers are a side project of Mike D of the Beastie Boys, and Scapegoat Wax has several albums to their name, available easily, even! It's a shame that other than these few games Naganuma hasn't been more prolific, because he's just great. His music in JSR was the game got me listening to game music again.

I love Naganuma's Ollie King Original Soundtrack CD. It's from a skating Sega arcade only (I think) game, check it out if you already haven't.

Edit: Ok, so I missed that conversation and you already dig that CD, cool then! If the conversation is going to be brought here, I have to say that I like Jet Set Radio's soundtrack better than Future's. I still have to buy the soundtrack to Future...

[this message was edited by IkariDC on Sat 10 Jan 08:50]

Variable Savior
457th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sat 10 Jan 08:47post reply

I looove JSR (and to a lesser extent JSRF) and one of the major reasons why is awesome awesome music. I prefer the original's soundtrack of (to me at least) unknowns to the sequel's more familiar artists. I think part of the appeal is that I never really partook of that genre of music so I was floored by the soundtrack's eclectic mix of tunes. And to think that I actually almost passed on the title because I didn't think I'd like the music/style....

Favorites from JSR include Sweet Soul Brother, Super Brothers, Magical Girl, and Rock It On. I actually tracked down a Japanese release from Guitar Vader (Super Brothers, Magical Girl) just because of this game - apparently they have (had?) a few albums in Japan. The only real negative I can say about JSR's soundtrack is the Rob Zombie track in the US release. Did ever game in that era need a freakin Rob Zombie song??

Future had a great soundtrack but it didn't quite match the originals. I didn't like the JSR remixes as much as the original versions and didn't care for the Beastie Boys track (although the lousy level it was featured on might have had a hand in that). I was initially overjoyed to hear that one of my favorite songs from my beloved Cibo Matto was on the track but found that I tired of it quickly as it didn't lend itself to looping the way the other songs did (plus it was freakin edited).

JSRF still had good tracks though - particularly Oldies But Happies, Aisle 10, and Like This Like That.

Sighhhhh this thread makes me miss JSR....

Blood marks heaven's path

karasu99
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sat 10 Jan 09:10post reply

IkariDC, I do have the Ollie King soundtrack-- I managed to get it from Amazon Japan before they put a halt to international orders of non-print media. I thought I would like the JSR remixes it has on it, but I ended up preferring by far the original tracks like 'Brother Gone Away'. Anyone who's reading this should try and track down a copy.

Sweet Soul Brother is my absolute favorite though, the cheering at the end is the best-- it really encouraged me to win the race level that it was first played on. I also really like "That's Enough and "Sneakman".

quote:

I can't image, given its popularity in Japan, that JSR won't be re-released as part of Sega Ages. But yeah, I miss it too, especially after hearing that the proposed sequel for the Wii isn't to be (even though it was American-produced and lame-sounding, I still would have bought it).

karasu99
42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sat 10 Jan 09:11post reply

quote:
IkariDC, I totally love the Ollie King soundtrack-- I managed to get it from Amazon Japan before they put a halt to international orders of non-print media. I thought I would like the JSR remixes it has on it, but I ended up preferring by far the original tracks like 'Brother Gone Away'. Anyone who's reading this should try and track down a copy.

Sweet Soul Brother is my absolute favorite though, the cheering at the end is the best-- it really encouraged me to win the race level that it was first played on. I also really like "That's Enough and "Sneakman".

I can't image, given its popularity in Japan, that JSR won't be re-released as part of Sega Ages. But yeah, I miss it too, especially after hearing that the proposed sequel for the Wii isn't to be (even though it was American-produced and lame-sounding, I still would have bought it).

Variable Savior
458th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sat 10 Jan 10:03post reply

quote:
I can't image, given its popularity in Japan, that JSR won't be re-released as part of Sega Ages.

Hmmm I just don't know that I'd be interested in a port of JSR. As much as I loved (love) that game it's levels are kinda dated (read: small) by current standards. Plus I still have my DC and copy of JGR.

What I'd love is a revised version featuring the tagging and gameplay structure from JSR with the larger/expanded levels and trick system from JSRF. And of course a combined soundtrack. That I'd buy in a heartbeat

Iron D
3141th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sat 10 Jan 10:29post reply

quote:

Sweet Soul Brother is my absolute favorite though, the cheering at the end is the best-- it really encouraged me to win the race level that it was first played on.

I thought the coolest use of this song was at the very end of the game, when Beat sprays on that last message and the games ends with the cheering at the end of that song...really felt like a celebration of victory, you know?

quote:
I looove JSR (and to a lesser extent JSRF) and one of the major reasons why is awesome awesome music. I prefer the original's soundtrack of (to me at least) unknowns to the sequel's more familiar artists.

quote:
The only real negative I can say about JSR's soundtrack is the Rob Zombie track in the US release. Did ever game in that era need a freakin Rob Zombie song??

I find it odd that you think it was JSRF's soundtrack that had the more familiar names, when JGR actually had artists that I had heard of outside of the JSR games (including Rob Zombie, Jurassic 5 and Cold).

quote:
To wit: the Latch Brothers are a side project of Mike D of the Beastie Boys,

Actually it's BS 2000 that's a side project of Mike D's. They're the ones that made "Scrappy" which was remixed by the Latch Bros. Although as far as I can tell, maybe they're both Mike D side projects?

Er.....

Maou
1566th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sat 10 Jan 10:39:post reply

Like this, like that, like this this like that

I dunno, I still think Rock It On JSRF remix is just out of control...such a kickin' build-up. The original has a groovy start, but the voices drive one insane quickly. And Concept of Love and Funky Dealer I just love because they're funky.

Oh, and I think our JSR 1 conversation may get confused because I hear those poor fools at Sega USA placed a bunch of American stuff into the game, which interferes with the actual soundtrack comparison. Try the real tracklist on for size and let's see what people think. Speaking of which, Karasu, I'm pretty sure Amazon.co.jp will still ship music abroad...it's only games that are domestic only.

quote:

Now THIS is underloved! I don't recall the soundtrack being available widely (maybe through Sega Direct only?), which is a damn shame, because I think this is a much more even work than Jet Set. What U Need and Back 2 Back are too delightful, and I think I've listened to Bomber Barbara a million times while working out and

WAIT WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT

Jeh Jeh Rocket Blazy Mix, all the time. Now that is a baseline.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 10 Jan 10:45]

Variable Savior
459th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sat 10 Jan 12:23post reply

quote:

I find it odd that you think it was JSRF's soundtrack that had the more familiar names, when JGR actually had artists that I had heard of outside of the JSR games (including Rob Zombie, Jurassic 5 and Cold).

Well...

The key term here is "(to me at least)". As I said I don't/didn't listen to this style of music before buying JSR so I'd never heard of Jurassic 5 etc.

I was familiar with Rob Zombie but honestly I always felt that his song's inclusion was just a bad example of localization for the domestic release, Dragula just didn't fit with the other tracks and therefore I never really felt it was part of the actual soundtrack.

Even so - that would make one familiar artist on JGR versus two (Beasties, Cibo) on JSRF. Plus technically I knew several of the returning artists from the first game (Vader, Naganuma) so it wasn't as fresh I guess.

Hope that explains it

Iron D
3142th Post

"Re(2):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sat 10 Jan 13:39post reply

quote:

Oh, and I think our JSR 1 conversation may get confused because I hear those poor fools at Sega USA placed a bunch of American stuff into the game, which interferes with the actual soundtrack comparison. Try the real tracklist on for size and let's see what people think. Speaking of which, Karasu, I'm pretty sure Amazon.co.jp will still ship music abroad...it's only games that are domestic only.

Why would it interfere? I liked the additional songs, plus I don't see why it would hurt to have them since they were extra songs that, as far as I can tell from your link, didn't replace anything. Plus, I liked them....they didn't seem so out of place to me.

Er.....

Maou
1567th Post

"Re(3):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sat 10 Jan 14:08:post reply

quote:

Why would it interfere? I liked the additional songs, plus I don't see why it would hurt to have them since they were extra songs that, as far as I can tell from your link, didn't replace anything. Plus, I liked them....they didn't seem so out of place to me.

Ah, I mean like interfere like "talking about the actual soundtrack of Jet Set Radio and possibly Naganuma" as opposed to "talking about Jet Set Radio plus some alteration by Sega USA." The added songs may well be fine (everyone likes Jurassic 5), but that's not the soundtrack by the games' creators, it's a meddling insertion. Granted, this could all amble off into the liberties of "localization," but still. Plus Rob Zombie can go away.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 10 Jan 14:09]

Variable Savior
460th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sun 11 Jan 03:12post reply

quote:

Try the real tracklist on for size

Is this the complete tracklist for JSR? I ask because I don't see either of the Guitar Vader songs there and I find it odd that Sega of America would add tracks from a Japanese artist to the domestic release.

But I will say that if that's the case then I agree with Iron D - the domestic release has the best soundtrack (excluding Rob Zombie of course).

Maou
1568th Post

"Re(3):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sun 11 Jan 04:13:post reply

Guitar Vader is missing, but otherwise that should be all, I think. But I still don't think we can talk about the Sega USA additions being "Jet Set Radio's soundtrack" for comparision with Future unless the creators planned to have Jurassic 5 in their soundtrack. Which I doubt. Now, if we want to talk about Jet Set Radio vs. Jet Set Radio USA's soundtrack...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 11 Jan 04:14]

karasu99
43th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sun 11 Jan 11:39post reply

quote:
Speaking of which, Karasu, I'm pretty sure Amazon.co.jp will still ship music abroad...it's only games that are domestic only.

Sweet! Now I can fulfill my dream of getting every Guitar Vader album, ever, all at once! Especially since you just can't seem to find them in the states.

Iron D, my info about the Latch Bros./Mike D connection is 100% wikipedia-derived, I hate to admit, so it may be incorrect. Either way, Latch Bros have some great tracks.

While I wasn't a fan of the added tracks in the US version, I think it's great that some additional levels were added as well. If I have to suffer some Rob Zombie, oh well. PLUS, when JSR was re-released in Japan (as De la Jet Set Radio-- a great name, by the way), it included all the US additions-- and had an incredible SegaDirect exclusive package. PlayAsia still has it up on their site even though it's long been unavailable, but I'll admit it's a dream of mine to come across a copy of it somewhere.

So as an aside, can anyone recommend music that is similar in character and/or spirit to JSR/JSRF/OK/SR stuff?

Maou
1569th Post

"Re(3):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sun 11 Jan 14:02:post reply

Wikipedia!? citation needed

It's from a while ago, but did you ever listen to/play Bust A Move and Bust A Move 2? The songs in that game were wildly hit-or-miss, but the good ones are pretty great, and there's a good mix of electronic-funk to be found that reminds me ever-so-slightly of Naganuma. Kitty N always! Pander's hyper-speed Enka song from 2 is pretty Naganumanian, and Robo Z's a fun electronic trip in either game.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 11 Jan 14:03]

Iron D
3146th Post

"Re(3):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Sun 11 Jan 20:09:post reply

quote:

Iron D, my info about the Latch Bros./Mike D connection is 100% wikipedia-derived, I hate to admit, so it may be incorrect. Either way, Latch Bros have some great tracks.

Actually, after checking wikipedia myself, it looks like you might be right: It turns out that BS 2000 is a side project of Adrock's, not Mike D's.

Er.....

[this message was edited by Iron D on Sun 11 Jan 20:18]

karasu99
44th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Exciting JSR/JSRF Music conversation" , posted Tue 13 Jan 03:03post reply

quote:
Wikipedia!? citation needed

It's from a while ago, but did you ever listen to/play Bust A Move and Bust A Move 2?

Oh yeah, I know those! And yeah, I see what you mean about their resemblance to Naganuma. Plus they're really fun games!

I'm also told that Sonic Rush Adventure has similar music to Sonic Rush, but that's it's not by Naganuma. It's tough to track down though.

What I would love to see is a tribute album to JSR, or maybe even a remix. Not that the few of us talking about the music is any indicator for how much interest there actually is in it or anything. But still.

Hey, and it appears there is actually a photo of the Latch Brothers, of a sort. I hate to get hung up on those guys though. Anyone else know anything about the rest of the artists on the OSTs?