Gaming over the Holidays - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1612 Views )

Burning Ranger
1584th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Thu 1 Jan 05:10post reply

In this Thread: Games you are playing over the holidays (I didn't see a thread for this and felt it was appropriate).

I'll go first:

- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. My brother had a PS3 and the game, and he generously let me play through it. I can't remember how long it took me to finish it, but I saw all of the cut scenes (including the 1.5 hour ending). It's a good game, but I still think Snake Eater is the best so far. Extra kudos for all of the nerd/culture references and "MGS universe" throwbacks (including the PS1 Shadow Moses "cutscene").

- I also managed to stop at one of the last good arcades in Texas: Arcade UFO in Austin. There, I finally played SF4 (kept getting pwned with a Balrog player who amassed a 24+ win streak), Tatsunoko vs Capcom (fun, but took a while to get the hang of) and BlazBlue (excellent "Guilty Gear" style game which I hope gets a US release).

- Random Smash Bros. Brawl and Mario Kart Wii with the siblings.

Then I had to come back to my current home, where I'll celebrate new years and probably play Audiosurf.

Anyone care to share what they've been playing?

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Replies:

nobinobita
459th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Thu 1 Jan 06:41post reply

I just beat Devil May Cry 4.

It's the most fun I've had with a next gen game. Just a solid game all around, and it's my favorite next gen game visually. I'm suprised the game hasn't gotten more attention than it did (it took me months to get around to playing it myself).

Pollyanna
2617th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Thu 1 Jan 07:04post reply

Dissidia Dissidia Dissidia. Can't get enough of it. It's my game of the year. If I could get my friends into it, I could play it for months and months.

I can't even remember the last time I was interested in Final Fantasy anything so I don't think it's the fanservice aspect that's selling me on this game. It's just really unique, really well done and gives you tons of stuff to do. I can't speak for multiplayer yet (it may totally stink), but the single player mode(s) have been a blast.

quote:
I just beat Devil May Cry 4.

It's the most fun I've had with a next gen game. Just a solid game all around, and it's my favorite next gen game visually. I'm suprised the game hasn't gotten more attention than it did (it took me months to get around to playing it myself).

I thought the game was great, if a bit too short and repetitive. Actually, I usually like short games, but I don't like games that make you play the same levels over again. Having you fight the same bosses three times was kind of stretching things.

But on the other hand, the boss fights were so excellent in the game, I can't say I complained until everything was over and done with. It's the first game in a while that I started over on "hard" immediately after finishing it and I always say "better to have a 15 hour game you want to play twice than a 30 hour game that's a chore to finish."

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Burning Ranger
1585th Post

"Re(3):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Thu 1 Jan 07:57post reply

quote:
Dissidia Dissidia Dissidia. Can't get enough of it. It's my game of the year. If I could get my friends into it, I could play it for months and months.

I'm confused about Dissidia... is it a fighting game (as in, like Street Fighter, KOF, Tekken, VF, etc) or something else? I saw screenshots and to me, they look a little ambiguous.

Advanced Cybernetic Organism "Burning Ranger"

Pollyanna
2618th Post

"Re(4):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Thu 1 Jan 08:56post reply

quote:

I'm confused about Dissidia... is it a fighting game (as in, like Street Fighter, KOF, Tekken, VF, etc) or something else? I saw screenshots and to me, they look a little ambiguous.

It's definitely not a normal fighting game...even less so than something like "Smash Bros". If I had to compare it to something, I'd say it's a little like that Wii DBZ game...erm...Sparking Meteor? I think it's just "Budokai" in America?

But it's more like a "Vs action game". You have experience, customizable skill sets, new techniques to learn, equipment, accessories, summons, an extensive story mode, etc. etc. It's arguably TOO much.

But I like how different it is and I like how naturally cinematic the fights are. Like...your attacks and how your opponent reacts to them (dodging, parrying, etc) just look nice without the need for any fancy cinematics (excluding the supers, that is).

I hope that clears things up a little at least.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Iron D
3126th Post

"Re(5):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Thu 1 Jan 10:03:post reply

quote:

But it's more like a "Vs action game". You have experience, customizable skill sets, new techniques to learn, equipment, accessories, summons, an extensive story mode, etc. etc. It's arguably TOO much.

But I like how different it is and I like how naturally cinematic the fights are. Like...your attacks and how your opponent reacts to them (dodging, parrying, etc) just look nice without the need for any fancy cinematics (excluding the supers, that is).

I hope that clears things up a little at least.

I know this is kind of hard to gauge with the game being so customizable and all, but would you say there's any sense of balance between the characters or can you see some characters being blatantly better than others?

As for the question at hand, sometimes the games I start playing are completely random. In this case, I've recently picked up and started playing Jet Set Radio Future. I only played about 60-75% of the way through before, and now I'm going to actually beat the damn thing. I originally started playing the damn game 4 YEARS AGO, but I got frustrated with some of the controls.

And since I've gotten back into that, I've also been playing Jet Grind radio again. THAT was a freakin' awesome game, and both have some of the best game soundtracks ever.

Besides that, I'm playing the whole bunch of fighting games I normally play. Still playing a lot of CvS2, with the odd mix-ins of the KoF Orochi Collection, RB2, SSF2T (the original), Third Strike, Darkstalkers Chronicles, Tekken 5:DR, Alpha 3 and recently but very occasionally SvC: Chaos.

Er.....

[this message was edited by Iron D on Thu 1 Jan 10:21]

Pollyanna
2619th Post

"Re(6):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Thu 1 Jan 19:21post reply

I never could get into JSRF. I loved JSR, but somehow JSRF just didn't come together in the same way for me. I always hoped for an online multiplayer version though, just to have a (dancing) gang war.

Aaaaand....

quote:

I know this is kind of hard to gauge with the game being so customizable and all, but would you say there's any sense of balance between the characters or can you see some characters being blatantly better than others?

Tough call. Starting out, some characters are blatantly better than others, but many of them learn a very helpful move (or two) around level 40-50. I don't know when you learn your final move (I know at 63 The Warrior of Light is still missing one), so I guess the only way I could tell for sure is in an environment where every character is level 100 and has no equipment.

But I suppose there is also the perspective that underpowered characters could close the gap with an accessory combination that wouldn't be as useful to other, stronger characters.

Since I doubt balance was ever a big priority, I'm sure it's not particularly even. However, I can definitely say that all the characters have unique strengths and all of them have at least one incredibly effective move to abuse.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Nekros
154th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 2 Jan 00:11:post reply

My girlfriend gave me a X360 for Christmas, so I'm currently playing the games that came with that present (Left 4 Dead, Sega Superstar Tennis, Infinite Undiscovery and Sonic Unleashed).

Also, on portable sistems got LocoRoco 2 on PSP and Ecclesia on DS.
Mi Wii is stuck about Gyrostarr and TvC but also gives chance to Super Mario Bros 3 and Snes Zelda.

I look forward to Dissidia, reading that Polly wrote it gets interesting for me. Has it online multiplayer?

[this message was edited by Nekros on Fri 2 Jan 00:12]

Time Mage
2748th Post

"Re(8):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 2 Jan 05:32post reply

I'm just continuing my second Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn playthrough, and trying to finish FFXII: Revenant Wings (which is taking me some time, because the game is pretty mediocre).

I have like one million games awaiting to be played, but I can't play them, since I can't get distracted by new games if I want to pass the super-important exam I have this month. When I finish it, though, I'm going to enter into gaming berserk, and play anything that gets near me, for at least two months!

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Tai-Pan
340th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(9):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 2 Jan 06:25post reply

quote:

I have like one million games awaiting to be played, but I can't play them, since I can't get distracted by new games if I want to pass the super-important exam I have this month.

Don't worry about your super important exam!!

I've been playing Fallout 3 and I love it.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Pollyanna
2620th Post

"Re(8):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 2 Jan 08:28post reply

quote:
My girlfriend gave me a X360 for Christmas, so I'm currently playing the games that came with that present (Left 4 Dead, Sega Superstar Tennis, Infinite Undiscovery and Sonic Unleashed).

Also, on portable sistems got LocoRoco 2 on PSP and Ecclesia on DS.
Mi Wii is stuck about Gyrostarr and TvC but also gives chance to Super Mario Bros 3 and Snes Zelda.

I look forward to Dissidia, reading that Polly wrote it gets interesting for me. Has it online multiplayer?

Your girlfriend is very generous!

Anyway, Dissidia does have online multiplayer, but I haven't tested it out yet.

I really like(d) Locoroco 2. I liked the concept of the first game, but I didn't have any fun playing it. While I can't pinpoint what's so different about the second game, somehow it just comes together much better. It feels like the first game, only fun.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

Gojira
2499th Post

"Re(9):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 2 Jan 12:17post reply

Since I'm away for the holidays and my stuff is back home I've just been playing the Wii with my niece at my folks' place. For Xmas she got Wii Music from someone and Animal Crossing (which I gave her) and I decided to help her get hooked on Animal Crossing so I didn't have to suffer through marathon sessions of Wii Music. Now she barely even lets me play, LOL

shipoopi

Spoon
1707th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 2 Jan 13:45post reply

quote:

It kinda reminds me of any RPG-y thing that happens to have a versus mode: when is the game balanced?

Diablo 2 had PvP, which had different levels of balance depending on the levels of the characters, the equipment they had, etc. Sure D2 isn't exactly a dedicated fighting game, but think about it this way: if a naked Level 0 character could compete evenly with a decked-out Level 100 character, that would kinda defeat the purpose of the character-building aspect of the game, wouldn't it?

Personally, having to have to grind up a team to be a competitive level has often been a turn-off for me, because inevitably I'm far too underleveled to put up any kind of real resistance and end up having to have to use a copy of my friends' save data so that I can keep up. Unfortunately, that means we just end up having lame mirror matches, because the entire customization and character-building parts of the game have been jettisoned.

Iron D
3126th Post

"Re(7):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 2 Jan 16:32post reply

quote:

It kinda reminds me of any RPG-y thing that happens to have a versus mode: when is the game balanced?

Diablo 2 had PvP, which had different levels of balance depending on the levels of the characters, the equipment they had, etc. Sure D2 isn't exactly a dedicated fighting game, but think about it this way: if a naked Level 0 character could compete evenly with a decked-out Level 100 character, that would kinda defeat the purpose of the character-building aspect of the game, wouldn't it?

Personally, having to have to grind up a team to be a competitive level has often been a turn-off for me, because inevitably I'm far too underleveled to put up any kind of real resistance and end up having to have to use a copy of my friends' save data so that I can keep up. Unfortunately, that means we just end up having lame mirror matches, because the entire customization and character-building parts of the game have been jettisoned.

Reminds me of when I was into Pokemon back in the day. The versus never seemed worth it because either your competition was so low level that they weren't any competition at all, or your opponent was so high level that you never stood a chance.

Er.....

Time Mage
2749th Post

"Re(8):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 2 Jan 18:37post reply

quote:
Reminds me of when I was into Pokemon back in the day. The versus never seemed worth it because either your competition was so low level that they weren't any competition at all, or your opponent was so high level that you never stood a chance.

Yeah, that's why I never really played Pokémon competitively until this generation (not counting netbattle or similar programs, I mean), when in wi-fi battles both teams are autoleveled to level 100. sure, you still have to train for EVs and moves, and have to spend quite some time breeding for decent IVs and egg moves, but at least the grind to level 100 is gone.

"News flash big guy: You can wax on wax off all you want I'm still... KICKIN' YOUR ASS!"

Juke Joint Jezebel
3646th Post

"Re(9):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 2 Jan 21:07post reply

been spraying vulgar tags all over random Team Fortress 2 servers and staring at Zoey's booty in Left 4 Dead

IkariDC
756th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(10):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 2 Jan 22:03post reply

I've been playing Order of Ecclesia a lot. For the first time, I've been trying to collect everything in a Metroidvania game. I only have Dracula left to fight and I already collected every boss medal (you have to beat a boss without getting hit to collect it, it was a pain in the ass getting them all but it was really fun!), almost every item, all the glyphs and equipment minus headgear which is unlocked playing boss rush mode and I've got one enemy drop item left. This one is tricky because he's in the secret zone where you have to fight a lot of crap in lots of rooms and you cannot save.

I've been playing Art of Fighting Anthology and had to check Toxico's AOF3 guide on gamefaqs.

I bought Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon on Wii the other day and seems to be a nice game. The music is fantastic, so many classic FF tunes arranged in a variety of flavors.

Also, I've been playing the European release of Simple 2000 Series Vol. 107: The Honoo no Kakutou Banchou. I was sold on the premise and the game's cover art, but it's a very crappy fighting game.

Spoon
1708th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):Re(10):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Sat 3 Jan 04:43post reply

quote:

Also, I've been playing the European release of Simple 2000 Series Vol. 107: The Honoo no Kakutou Banchou. I was sold on the premise and the game's cover art, but it's a very crappy fighting game.

One of my favourite parts of the game is training up your stare. Whether he's staring down a soda machine so that it gives him a free soda, or some little pile of junk at the side of the screen that you didn't even think he was staring at suddenly falls, it's hilarious.

I didn't play the EU version of it, though. Any funny localization?

sfried
315th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Sun 4 Jan 02:09post reply

I really want to get my hands on Phantasy Star Zero...except my Japanese still isn't that great, and I have never played a Phantasy Star game in my entire life, let alone online.

And yet, this game is compelling me to get into it. It's like all those online RPGs without the fees.

Ishmael
3365th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Sun 4 Jan 05:16post reply

This holiday season I bit the bullet and picked up a PS3. Now that I'm sort of back in the loop of current hardware I can finally check out what the kids are raving about.

Somehow I found a copy of GTA4 for $7.00 so I picked it up even though I'm not a fan of the series. The allure of endlessly driving just to be doing it is still there but there is still little reason to get out of your car. This title really brings home my feeling that the GTA games are more about presenting you with things instead of letting you interact with things. Being able to watch my character watch television perfectly encapsulated my problem with the games.

Thankfully Fallout 3 lets me pointlessly fiddle with everything I come across. That, and the game lets me blast apart large ants with a machine gun. I'm don't think I'm ever going to get tired of machine gunning ants.

In game related spin-offs I managed to make it through both Resident Evil: Degeneration and Oneechanbara: The Movie. I don't know what the new year is going to bring as far as cinema goes but I do know it can only go up from here.

IkariDC
757th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Re(10):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Wed 7 Jan 06:12post reply

I recently started playing Super Princess Peach, which I had forgotten I bought when they slashed it's price and turns out it's a quite nice game. My progress halted when I received Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations in the mail, though. When I've got a new Ace Attorney game, every other game just doesn't matter at all!

Soooo, I'm on the third case and still the game hasn't delivered that 'Heavyweight champion' title it usually gets. It's not like I'm not enjoying it, but so far it doesn't feel superior to any of the other titles. Godot failed to impress me, although his theme is very nice.

quote:

One of my favourite parts of the game is training up your stare. Whether he's staring down a soda machine so that it gives him a free soda, or some little pile of junk at the side of the screen that you didn't even think he was staring at suddenly falls, it's hilarious.

I didn't play the EU version of it, though. Any funny localization?

Yeah, I expected that kind of silly stuff in the game. I don't get the 'throw a sandal like in Konami's Track & Field javelin throw to cause and impact that evaporizes everything in sight that somehow serves to get a weather prediction in the end' thought, it's just that crazy.

This game would be kinda fun it you weren't a complete badass of a character that starts almost with an empty move list that has to train different attributes so he has more chances to randomly learn moves from opponents he fights to fill up his move list and become a capable fighter. Sure, that's supposedly the fun part of the game, but it's a pain in the ass when you have to fight so much with so less. You're always in disadvantage and when you have to fight other high schools' leaders so they won't attack your high school, and when those leaders do have many moves to kick your ass, well it's just fun for a little while, then it becomes quite tedious.

It's Game Over when they attack your high school and you've got no followers left, right? About the localization, it's good. They translated some high school names and the leaders' nicknames into English. The name of the game was changed to Hard Knock High, which is the name of your high school. Check out the cover in that link.

Time Mage
2750th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Wed 7 Jan 06:56post reply

quote:
Soooo, I'm on the third case and still the game hasn't delivered that 'Heavyweight champion' title it usually gets. It's not like I'm not enjoying it, but so far it doesn't feel superior to any of the other titles. Godot failed to impress me, although his theme is very nice.

Just wait until the fifth case and you'll change your opinion. Well, maybe not, but I'd be really surprised.

Although I have to agree about Godot: Even after beating the game, he isn't very appealing except for his theme.

ZamIAm
1759th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(6):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 9 Jan 07:23post reply

quote:
As for the question at hand, sometimes the games I start playing are completely random. In this case, I've recently picked up and started playing Jet Set Radio Future. I only played about 60-75% of the way through before, and now I'm going to actually beat the damn thing. I originally started playing the damn game 4 YEARS AGO, but I got frustrated with some of the controls.

And since I've gotten back into that, I've also been playing Jet Grind radio again. THAT was a freakin' awesome game, and both have some of the best game soundtracks ever.

Do you have the original Xbox or a 360? If you have a 360, I have to find some time to assault you. Sadly, I have never played Future though from passing glances the DC game seems better in almost all respects except graphics.

I've been enjoying MK vs. DCU a lot and got to play some against a friend online. Bought some stuff that I haven't sat down and played yet like the GameCube version of Skies of Arcadia (I wish my DC version never went missing). Been playing some Flash games here and there. Participated in the public open beta for the upcoming game Death Vegas. Sadly, I haven't done anything with DreamStudio in a while but I have been trying to finish out a school game project.

Iron D
3134th Post

"Re(7):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 9 Jan 09:04post reply

quote:

Do you have the original Xbox or a 360? If you have a 360, I have to find some time to assault you. Sadly, I have never played Future though from passing glances the DC game seems better in almost all respects except graphics.

Just the original Xbox for now. And your assessment on the games is correct: JGR/JSR IS better than JSRF. HOWEVER, if you really liked the first one, I would still suggest you get Future for two reasons.

1) The game is still not completely horrible, and it IS a sequel to a great game that isn't unbearably worse then it's prequel.

2) The music is still awesome, and even includes remixes of a lot of the music from the first game. Which one has the better soundtrack? Highly debatable...and that's saying a lot, since I orgasm to the first game's soundtrack. But honestly, I can't even say which I like better after four years of debating this question in my head.

Er.....

Maou
1562th Post

"Re(8):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 9 Jan 10:04post reply

quote:

2) The music is still awesome, and even includes remixes of a lot of the music from the first game. Which one has the better soundtrack? Highly debatable...and that's saying a lot, since I orgasm to the first game's soundtrack. But honestly, I can't even say which I like better after four years of debating this question in my head.

Don't worry, Iron D, I will solve the problem for you: Future's soundtrack is wayyy better. I'm obsessed with anything Naganumi Hideki touches anyway (Sonic Rush's sound is out of control), and I think JSRF's got a lot more gonig on with the opening Concept of Love, Guitar Vader's catchy li'l I Love Love Love You, and the infinitely groovy remix of the original Rock It On. I've only ever played Future, so maybe that's why I didn't dig JSR's soundtrack when I heard it outside of the game, but I think Future's pretty groovy. I am a winner, got a hot hand.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

karasu99
39th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(9):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 9 Jan 12:40post reply

quote:

Don't worry, Iron D, I will solve the problem for you: Future's soundtrack is wayyy better. I'm obsessed with anything Naganumi Hideki touches anyway (Sonic Rush's sound is out of control), and I think JSRF's got a lot more gonig on with the opening Concept of Love, Guitar Vader's catchy li'l I Love Love Love You, and the infinitely groovy remix of the original Rock It On. I've only ever played Future, so maybe that's why I didn't dig JSR's soundtrack when I heard it outside of the game, but I think Future's pretty groovy. I am a winner, got a hot hand.

So what else has Naganuma done besides these three games and Ollie King (which is yet another AWESOME soundtrack)?

By a strange coincidence I was listening to the JSRF soundtrack this afternoon! For the record I prefer it to JSR too, although I missed Super Brother in the sequel.

Maou
1564th Post

"Re(10):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 9 Jan 13:57post reply

Not much yet, but regardless, This Is What U Need.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Iron D
3136th Post

"Re(9):Gaming over the Holidays" , posted Fri 9 Jan 20:27post reply

quote:
I've only ever played Future, so maybe that's why I didn't dig JSR's soundtrack when I heard it outside of the game, but I think Future's pretty groovy.

Well, that could be it. A lot of the songs in both games were made better because of when you heard them.

For those songs that were in both games, I prefer the versions that were in JGR almost universally. Especially "Power and Glory" and "Let Mom Sleep". What puts JSRF up there for me were the entirely new tracks, especially gems like "Scrappy", "I'm Not A Model" "Rockin' The Mic" and yes, even "Aisle 10" despite it's cheesy lyrics.

HELLOOOOOO ALLISOOOOOOON!

quote:
I am a winner, got a hot hand.

Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen!

Er.....