Fighting games year in review - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3754 Views )

Spoon
1698th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 20 Dec 05:54post reply

Now that F/UC has been released on PS2, the last of the big fighting game releases are done for the year. And so, even though we've only played TvC for less than 2 weeks, we can begin retrospective on this year.

For starters, this is the first year in awhile where enough fighting games were released that we can actually look back on just this genre and say something other than, "Boy, the PS2 port of game XYZ sure sucked, but it's better than having nothing."

What fighting game surprised you (postively or negatively) the most?
Which fighting game impressed you the most deeply?
Which fighting game did you wind up playing the most?

Say whatever you want about fighting games this year; in fact, don't bother to make a point of answering any of those questions and just rant wildly. I know I will.

My opinion is that Gleam of Force (by French Bread, http://www13.plala.or.jp/french/french_index.htm) surprised me the least in that I expected an absolutely amazing game and got one, and it surprised me the most in that I don't usually get an amazing game when I expect one. The fighting game I had the most fun playing was Gleam of Force, followed by SC4 (CaS is still wonderful). The fighting game I played the most was probably Gleam of Force, for all the time I spent trying to understand the game and its characters. The fighting game that impressed me most deeply, particularly with its drive to make a fighting game that I really had not played before and succeeded in doing that and making a game that wasn't just a throwaway test, was Gleam of Force. On the whole, in a year full of releases, my favourite is Gleam of Force. I haven't liked a fighting game made by French Bread so much since they changed their name to French Bread.

Visually, the game that impressed me the most was SF4. The facial expressions in SF4 alone are more entertaining than entire other games.

Replies:

karasu99
31th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 20 Dec 07:04post reply

Okay, I'll try. It's hard to sort my opinions now that I think about it. I'm downloading the demo for Gleam of Force right now, by the way, based on the recommendation :)

Predictably, I really enjoyed KOF98UM. Which is not surprising at all given that 98 was always the year of KOF that loved the most and was best at.

Likewise, it was a little bit of a disappointment, since it made me realize how far I've drifted away from playing 2D fighters, and thus how much I've come to suck at them.
By far what I played the most was Real Bout Special. Since I didn't play it much when I originally owned the cart, I've been drawn back to it after the release of the Garou collections, and it hasn't disappointed me. Aesthetically the sprites are just gorgeous, and each time I play I notice something I've never seen before, like details of the background or subtleties of the character animations.

I think I'll add another question here too, if I may be so bold: what release in 2009 are you most excited about?

My vote is of course KOF2002UM. It's sort of the opposite of 98UM, in that this is a KOF I've hardly played, after my disappointment with both 2001 and 2003, so given all the apparent adjustments and expansions, it's like I get a second shot at it.

Gojira
2498th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 20 Dec 07:12:post reply

Negatively, I guess the one that surprised me the most was Dissidia. Although I never had much faith in it to begin with, I didn't think it would be so boring right from the outset. It's a pity because the music is great and the graphics are pretty clean for a PSP game, but when your gameplay involves large stages with nothing in them that you have to move slowly around, there's definitely something wrong with the concept. I'm not even that interested in wasting the time necessary to fish more attacks out of the inane "puzzle" game that comprises the story mode. Just a huge disappointment all around.

Hmm... I'd say 98UM simply because I didn't think SNKP would take it that far with the improvements. I thought I'd just be playing it for a week or two but I ended up tooling around and learning characters for almost 2 months. All the new moves and tweaks, even new characters and new versions of characters, it all felt very fresh and new in spite of the "same old" impression I got from screenshots. Of course the only reason I stopped was because more games were coming out, including what I'm getting to next...

SF4 by a longshot. I'm so glad that there's still a cool arcade near Seattle that's willing to foot the bill for a game that was predestined to come out on consoles anyway. The SF scene here is dedicated and full of life, so I've never had any trouble finding competition or having fun with the game. I just hope it stays that way when the console version comes out because sometimes these things can have the opposite effect.

EDIT: A couple more categories while I'm at it:
What fighting game are you most looking forward to in 2009?
Definitely the console release of SF4 now. The number of goodies they're adding to it just keeps going up and up, so I can't forsee any disappointment when my LE package comes in the mail this coming February.

What fighting game WERE you looking forward to but had to change your opinion?
KoFXII. Pretty much none of the characters I like made the cut, even Elizabeth who I had thought was guaranteed. Now I can only hope that there will be more characters in the home version and that at least one of them will be from my wishlist. Mary, Tizoc, Vanessa, Yamazaki, Kasumi, Heavy D!, Geese... come on SNKP. Just give me one.

shipoopi

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sat 20 Dec 07:14]

Shin ATproof
1229th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Answers questions + some personal thoughts" , posted Sat 20 Dec 16:28:post reply

Street Fighter 4 surprised me positively the most.
The initial screenshots and videos made me cringe and expect the worst. However, as time passed, it was really clear that Capcom really wanted this game to work. There was even reports of Capcom tweaking the hitboxes so the game worked like a traditional 2D fighter rather than a 2.5D game. Most people expected SFEX4 and were ready to shine on the game but Capcom managed to make the game play like a combination of SSF2T and 3rdStrike and that is really cool. Really, I was surprised with the finished product [the Arcade version], it is a very well made game and I absolutely cannot wait for the Console version, which is clearly going to be the superior version. The Console version was the original plan but the fact that Capcom put the game in the Arcades to get the system right speaks volumes for the quality of the game. 2009 will get off on a great start.

BlazBlue...by far.
Every single character in that game has an interesting play mechanic. Yes, the game may have many similarities to Guilty Gear but BlazBlue gameplay is probably one of the most original in a long time. Sure, one can approach the game like in Guilty Gear but that is only half of the game. The other half have is in the Drive attacks which are unique to every character in the game and they are all fun to use. Rachel for example can control wind to a limited extent and it affects the laws of motion in the game which she can use for offense and some defense methods. Tager has the power of magnetism and is able to have a manual vacuum effect with his specials. Heck, even Ragna's ability to steal life from opponents with every hit manages to add a whole new level to the gameplay that makes the overall gaming experience new and unique.

BlazBlue.
SF4 is like 3 feet away from the BlazBlue cabinet but I CANNOT walk away from this game. I played a beta at Anime Expo this year and I've been addicted to this game ever since. The finished product is so good...I absolutely cannot wait for the Console versions since I never have enough time and money to go to the Arcade to play this game. I also never have enough time to practice with all the characters I want to play...like Bang Shishigami. When I first saw him I was like "Kamen Rider Ninja?" AWESOME! Then when I got to try him, he was like Enja and Ibuki put together. Watched a dude the other day beast with him and it put a smile on my face. Actually that is something that happens with every character. I'm constantly going "OH WOW! NO WAY!" to all the cool strategies stemming from each character Drive attack ability.

So anyway...
Yeah, 2008 was an excellent year for Fighting game fans this year. There were some really big surprises like well, SF4 and Tatsunoko vs Capcom...honestly, who saw that coming? Heck this was even the first year since MK2 in which a Moron Kombat actually had a half decent engine to it. MKvsDC(who saw that one coming!?) was mildly amusing. So 2008 was a year where even mediocre or bad fighting game franchises seemed better.

Never got a chance to play VF5R or Tekken6 but I expect good things with the eventual Console release...at least they'll have online play. Until then, I'll just have to be happy with VF5 and T5DR.

I really wanted to play Arcana Heart 2 but no Arcade around here has picked it up. Probably because of the stigma by idiots who go "DURR loli fighter. HURR this game sucks...HURRDURR pedos need only apply." Likewise, the new Melty Blood looks like fun, I really got into Act Cadenza before both Arcades around here pulled the game. One of them is supposed to get the new one soon...so I have nothing much to say about it, just looked fun from the screenshots.

My only problem is that I really don't know if I can look forward to playing either game on Console since they'll probably be ported to the PS3 and/or 360 and I don't own either system and they'll remain import only.

I really like how Tatsunoko vs Capcom turned out. I played this today and I like what I saw. Love the baroque system, I fought a guy using Ryu and he totally hammered me. I hope that it leads to sequels and gets ported to the other systems. It is something everyone should check out.

Sengoku Basara X...
I really like this game. It has the best implementation of assists/strikers in any game...ever. In a way, I hope that future games will implement a system like that...or at least with SBX2? *prays*

I really do and I wish more people liked the game like I did. Sure, it has some serious balance issues like Hokuto no Ken but Hokuto no Ken is a game that managed to get some serious play for a few years despite its problems with balance. Sure I learned one of Toki's infinites after like an hour of play but my friends and I got pretty serious in the game and our matches with Kenshiro, Souther and Yuda were really fun. I hope that Capcom and ASW can make a sequel to SBX, maybe after the Anime starts to air on TV because there is a really good game in there and a sequel is all ASW would need to really make a title that is a solid B to a A+ game.

2008 also showed us how DLC can be a very bad thing for gamers considering the DLC whoring with Soul Calibur 4. Good game, I've had fun playing it but MY GOD WTF is wrong with Namco!? See, I'm cool with a game having hidden features and I don't have a problem paying for them but the crap like being able to buy Yoda or Vader just really pissed me off, that and all the added outfits for the characters. You're spending like $60 to buy half a game and then spend another $60 to unlock the other half of the game. I just hope with the eventual Console release of VF5R and T6, the DLC whoring doesn't get out of hand but I'm not holding my breath.

2008 was also a year that was very disappointing to SNKP fans. Sure we got KoF98UM...and it is awesome. Really awesome. But for the last year or so, SNKP in my opinion really dropped the ball with SSS and KoF12. SSS is such a terrible Frankenstien of a game...it doesn't know if it wanted to play like Soul Calibur, Kengo or Samurai Shodown. The end result is the freak'n Edsel of fighting games.

As for KoF12, I know that the delays are the result of some very long process to draw the sprites and make what looks to be the most impressive looking 2D fighter ever. I know that they took another half a year making the cast bigger but that doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is that reading some of the reports and seeing the game in action, KoF12 is going to be for the most part an incomplete game. It is the field test for KoF13, much in the way CvS1 was for CvS2.

I'm sure KoF12 will be a fun game, I'll definitely play it when I can but after being teased for like two years for this game and having to wait till like spring 09 to play a game that will only be like, half of what KoF13 will be puts a slight frown on my face...and you know what really puts a frown on my face? I'll have to wait till KoF13 to see Mai. WHY!? Did SNKP figure that she'd have like twice the animation of every character and to work on her would take even more time?

All I know is that KoF13 better have some T&A physics that put DoAX2 to shame!

Still, 2008 was an incredible year for fighting games...almost like the rebirth of the genre. For this reason, I really hope that the creativity and quality of development that went into the games of 2008 will continue the next year...as for KoF, the new KoF02 looks SWEEEEEEEEEET...my second favorite KoF looks to be getting even better.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

[this message was edited by Shin ATproof on Sat 20 Dec 16:28]

Iron D
3116th Post

"Re(2):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 20 Dec 16:37:post reply

I'm afraid I'm behind on this year's new fighters. I certainly haven't played the more niche titles like Arcana Heart or Battle Fantasia, and I've so far only played three fighting games released this year: SSF2THDR, SC4, and I played SFIV for ONE DAY. Oh, and then there's Super Smash Bros. Brawl, if one would count that as a fighter.

SSF2THDR. At first, before it was released I didn't care about it at all. But just before release, some combo vids and hype really managed to get to me. Then I played it, and I'm amazed at how the gameplay changes and online play have made it addictive and fun as hell.

So I'm very much pleasantly surprised; on one hand yes it is Super Turbo, but most of the changes are nice and welcome, the few I don't like I can ignore (replacing 360's? SACRILIGE), and online play is damn fun.

Of the three, SFIV was just...right on the mark. I was highly anticipating it, and when I finally got to play it, I can only say that it felt EXACTLY like I feel a SF game should. The 3d helps, instead of detracting from the gameplay and feel, and even online videos have not done the beauty of the game justice.

Brawl if it counts, and if not SCIV. Brawl I've played quite a bit, but I haven't played HDR, SFIV, or SCIV nearly as much as I'd like to have.

The home release of SFIV, closely followed by Tekken 6:BR.

At first I was most looking forward to SSBB. I wasn't at all disappointed; the game kicks serious ass. And again, if that doesn't count then SFIV.

Er.....

[this message was edited by Iron D on Sat 20 Dec 21:53]

Iggy
8783th Post

"Re(3):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sun 21 Dec 00:48post reply

I hate SF4 for preventing me from hating it as much as it deserves. It began from the start with the "no surprise, no risk taken" concept and took it very seriously. On the other hand, it did it so right you just can't criticize the execution of it. The core is rotten, but the rest is so well crafted I like it better than any episode of the Zero series, and I hate myself for that.
I suppose, if I happen to live in a house with a PS3 in it next year (cough) I'll take the opportunity to learn Gen, a character Zero always teased me with. And I'll punch me in the balls for such weakness.

The other big name of the year, KOFXII, is also a big problem for me. I respect all the hard work, the effort and the vision that was put in the game, but I just can't understand why they didn't go all the way and made it a 1 on 1 fighter. Having 20 characters is fine with me, but when you have to use 3 of them every time, it just constantly reminds you that you can't have an all female team, and feels like the cast is smaller than the original SF2's. I'll definitely buy it when it's released on console to support Nona's work, but if I play it, I'll try to convince my friends to play single versus mode. In the arcades, I already know I won't play it more than twice, just enough to have a look at everyone.

I'm eagerly waiting for the home release of Sugocana. I've been waiting to study seriously the series for a long time, and I hope the port is good enough to drag me into it.
My main concern is that the depth of the game might be so overwhelming that I wouldn't have the time, energy and loli resistance to go through it. And even if I do, I know no one around me will. I don't think I will be able to convince them to even try it with SF4 or KOFXII on the other console.

Finally, TatsuCap is the game that surprised me the most of all the fighting games of the year. I'm in love with it at a point that I can't even explain properly, especially since my relationship with the versus series has never been very good.
First, I love how Capcom managed the developments of this game and SF4, smaller budget and greater risks for Tatsunoko, and that feels so good. It feels like it is the only fighting game of the year that dares to take any risk, and I can't thank it enough for it.
My ties with the Tatsunoko character are as thin as the ones I had with the Marvel ones (but at least they look better). Maybe my love will wither as fast as it flourished, but at least I know it will remain a few more months, and that's all that matters for now.

First, as a character game, it's so much better than the simple Marvel/Capcom jointure of Dahlsim and Shuma Gorrath eating curry together. The endings mix predictable cameos (Devilot, Hauzer) with really obscure ones (Santana, Vector, and Astaroth who really need to be in the next game as a big Lightan character), and some ending are really enjoyable, between Iwan fighting the 3 mechas everybody thought (and hoped) would appear in his place, or the classic Chunli and Ryű SF2 ending reenacted by the Tatsunoko characters.

Most people complain about how there are less characters than in MVC2, but they don't know what they're talking about and need to shut up.
Out of the 22 characters, only 5 have appeared in other fighting games. That leaves the highest amount of totally new characters to discover and learn any game had in recent years, and the game deserves a lot of credit for it, especially compared to the old versus, who had 90% of their cast rehashed. Even Roll has been re-created instead of using her MvC version (which would have worked, but the developers chose to ignore the easy route).
I hated how much of the Street Fighters didn't seem to fit in the vs Marvel game; thanks to SF4, the game only has Chunli and Ryű, who have been proven to work well in this system, and Alex, who has been modified enough to actually fit in a VS game. There's no comparison possible with the terrible Zangiefs forcefully c/pasted that we had to endure in the other vs.
Batsu is the only slight deception, since he comes from a game very close system-wise with the vs series (he even had a launcher and air combos in the original game), but he works thematically with the Tatsunoko, and they gave him 2 twoplaton to add some variation, which is always nice.
The musics are perfect, and Roll's theme is my new destructive weapon against opponents with sensible ears, like the endless PSYCHOBAAAAAAL of times of old.
I'm surprised of the number of counters in the game. If I recall correctly, not a single character out of MvC2's 56 had any counter, and everybody thought they wouldn't work in the game. But here, Sôki has a normal counter, Karasu a super counter, Saki a super level 3 counter, and I might forget someone else.
Generally, I find the characters deeper and more technical than most of the MvC cast, and I like it very, very much.
I didn't have enough time to study every system (nor every character), and I'm looking forward to it. First and foremost, the game has a megacrash system, and that alone makes it so much better. I never understood why they hadn't put one in the old MvCs. The two fatties are of course totally useless, but they are really fun when you play casually with a friend and add even more variety.

The game has a lot of shortcomings, the whole internet has listed them, but now, I see an even bigger one. I want more! The exact same thing, with more characters and backgrounds, with their musical themes, new ideas, and hopefully as much love as anyone else in the game has received.
And it breaks my heart, because I know that will never happen. If it does someday, it will be with ugly morons with their underwear over their closes instead of the funny-looking 70's heroes, and the atmosphere of the game will be much less enjoyable.

In conclusion, I'm concerned with that brutal flow of fighting games we had this year, and that it may lead to another grim year once much of them will bomb. At least I think the game companies will anticipate that, and 2009 shouldn't be as hard as 99 was. Maybe SNKP will even survive! I wouldn't hold my breath for it, but who knows.
Either way, I suppose I will just end up playing KOF02UM the whole year, since it goes much farther than 98UM and that's just what I wanted.

Spoon
1699th Post

"Re(4):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sun 21 Dec 03:47post reply

quote:
If I recall correctly, not a single character out of MvC2's 56 had any counter,

This is somewhat incorrect.
Of all the characters that could possibly reasonably have a counter move, Magneto has a counter move.

Ishmael
3360th Post

"Re(1):Answers questions + some personal thoug" , posted Sun 21 Dec 06:54post reply

Blazblue really surprised me by not being terrible. My initial impressions were that it was going to be some sort of odd in-studio knock-off of GG but when I finally played it I was impressed that it handled well and had a nice presentation. I'm not sure if BB is my sort of thing but it's not the debacle I thought it was going to be.

The one that impressed me the least was SC4. I haven't had a chance to play it so it may be a great game for all I know. But between the DLC nonsense and the flood of material from outside sources the game itself seemed more like an easel on which to prop up adds for Star Wars material.

SF4. It may not be a perfect game but, man, does it know how to push my buttons. What sealed the deal for me was a match in which I saw a look of surprise and terror spread across Dhalsim's face as I unloaded a Crazy Buffalo Charge into him at point-blank range. At that moment two different, delightful senses of joy filled my soul. First was the joy of playing a game built with a sense of vitality and life. The second was the joy that can only come from beating another human being senseless.

It may have been KoF98UM but that's only because it's on a home console. The glitches and inexplicable CPU difficulty didn't exactly thrill me but it's still one of the KoF games that I genuinely like.

quote:
Sengoku Basara X...
I really like this game. It has the best implementation of assists/strikers in any game...ever. In a way, I hope that future games will implement a system like that...or at least with SBX2? *prays*

If there is one game recently that shows how easy it is to be so close and yet so far from being good it's SBX. In spite of all the testing and twiddling that Capcom did before its release, SBX still ended up being something of a mess. Like you I really hope someone at Capcom catalogs what the problems are and puts out an enhanced sequel. They couldn't possibly mess up the title twice, could they?

Toxico
4604th Post

"Re(2):Answers questions + some personal thoug" , posted Sun 21 Dec 07:02post reply

quote:
They couldn't possibly mess up the title twice, could they?

Remember that there it was necessary, at some point some 'Zero3', 'SFIII 3rd strike' and many others "more than a second version" to make up the game [2ch_kabe:]

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 09/12/08 (58 personajes)

Iggy
8785th Post

"Re(3):Answers questions + some personal thoug" , posted Sun 21 Dec 07:42post reply

quote:
They couldn't possibly mess up the title twice, could they?

I still don't see where they are going with this franchise, with the poorly thought Heroes expansion, that so unCapcomic fighting game because someone liked GGX, and the boring rehash on PSP. I think the team know they are now working for a wild horde of yaoi fangirls, but what does it mean for the rest of the series? I wonder if anyone at Capcom even knows.

Spoon
1700th Post

"Re(4):Answers questions + some personal thoug" , posted Sun 21 Dec 10:16post reply

I think I should give some kind of special mention to F/UC.

From what I had watched of it, aside from goofy things (mind you, I LOVE goofy things) like doing 100+ hit combos involving a woman tackling you and then slapping you while doing that ohohohohoho laugh, I thought F/UC seemed boring as heck. It was a combo-oriented fighting game with really long and generally boring-looking combos, with characters that jockeyed for combo opportunities in not terribly interesting ways. As opposed to, say, AH, which may come with equally or more longwinded combos and an awkward movement pace but makes up for those issues with lots of ways to maneuver and trap and play with the strengths/weaknesses of each character through the Arcana selection. Or HnK, which zooms so far off the scale of retarded comboing that it wraps around and winds up on the side of things that are wonderful and entertaining.

However, F/UC turned out to have a much better feel than I expected, as well as being less-terrible-looking than the videos of it made it seem. On the whole, all very pleasantly surprising.

Meanwhile, the game which continues to draw the most amazing knee-jerk responses, MONSTER AC, continues to be unreleased.

Count Hihihi
162th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Answers questions + some personal thoug" , posted Mon 22 Dec 04:30post reply

The console release of Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix 2 was GOTY in the Fight Manz category for me.

As for next year, I'm looking forward to KoF XII. I'll have to pass on the console release of BADASS.

Pollyanna
2615th Post

"Re(2):Fighting games year in review" , posted Tue 23 Dec 12:46post reply

Here goes. I'll get around to personal responses eventually.

SF4 for sure. I'm still only mildly excited about the home port, but when I first played it I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was much less like SF2 than I had originally thought.

Runner up goes to Tatsunoko Vs Capcom for all the reasons Iggy mentioned (except the music, which I find hit or miss). Although some of the characters are criminally bland, I was pleasantly surprised to see so many new and original ones.

Unpleasant surprise goes to Naruto something something EX something 4 on Wii, which is the sorriest excuse for a sequel I've ever seen.

Dissidia. I don't know if it's a really outstanding fighting game, but it's a really outstanding game. It has an original system (that works!), a great soundtrack, excellent control, surprisingly few camera issues, a good variety of fighters and TONS of stuff to do. Also, once you figure out how to play, the battles have an amazingly cinematic feel to them.

On the downside, the voice acting (mostly) sucks and the huge amount of customization makes it hard to play with your friends if they aren't into the game. Also, it's a bit hard to get into, which is what I blame for Gojira's negative impression of it. I can't say that he would ever like it, but I can say that his complaints seem to stem from a lack of understanding.

Probably still KOF XI. That game is the gift that keeps on giving. It's become my favorite fighter of all time, I think.

KOF 02UM. After what I've read here, the home port of BlazBlue is looking nice as well.

KOF XII. There are a lot of things I like about it, but in light of my continued love for XI and my enthusiasm for 02 UM, it just doesn't stack up.

Also Tekken 6 because I found out it's not coming out until...like...September. I was thinking like...2 months from now.

青春謳歌 弱肉強食

nobinobita
458th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Fighting games year in review" , posted Wed 24 Dec 03:14post reply

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm for ps3 impressed the hell outta me. At first I thought it'd just be a beautiful diversion. I liked looking at videos and I was curious enough to download the demo. But man, after playing the demo I knew I had to go out and get it.

It's got THE BEST cel shading I've ever seen, by a large margin, in game or prerendered, nothing else comes close. So much love, care, and expertise was put into the game's visuals. It's got this great hand crafted feel to it, and it's just so sharp and smart looking. They really did all they could to make it look like Norio Matsumoto's work (he's the guy that almost singlehandedly animated every memorable fight in the TV show). I could go on and on about the visuals (and maybe I will in a later post?) but what really got me was that the game is suprisingly fun.

The controls are great and intuitive and the way each character plays matches up with their personality. It's a great pick up and play game, and it actually feels "3d". You don't just side step, you actually have to run around and dodge, and some characters can set traps, which are much more devious when you throw in a Z axis. It's a great great casual pick up and play kinda fighter.

Did I mention that it's absolutely gorgeous?

I am so glad KOF XII is coming out in the form that it is. SNK really went all out with the visuals. It's the kind of game that I've been dreaming of for years: a true, high resolution, pixel art, smoothly animated game.

I LOVE it! And I'm really excited about the roster too. It's not just a bunch of young twenty something pretty boys (not that I mind those). You also have all sorts of big bruisers (I'm so glad Daimon is in there!) and a plump Cream Lemon/Project A-ko looking Athena.

On top of all that, the game is really really well animated with lots of personality and I enjoy the pace that it plays at (I can't think fast enough to play Guilty Gear style games, though I'm really looking forward to Blazblue).

Third Strike. If I could play just one game for the rest of my life this would be it.

KOFXII and Blazblue

SFIV. I just can't get over the look of it. It's not that it's 3d, I like alot of 3d stuff. For instance, Shadow of Rome was a beautiful looking game with big chunky dudes beating the tar out of each other. Or Devil May Cry 4. I just got that last night and I can't get over how great it looks. I spent about half an hour just staring at the Knight in white armor in the gallery mode--no exageration. I got more enjoyment from looking at that model rotating on my screen than I get from playing most games.

It's just that SFIV doesn't feel like Street Fighter to me. Every visual inch of it seems watered down for an international audience. Hell, the game's even being dubbed into english.

I know it plays well, but that's only half the equation for me. I understand they need to appeal to a broader audience, it's just that this game of all games signifies that from now on all major studio game releases will be as bland (at least visually) as most movies.

Buuut... 2009 is really looking up (KOF XII, Blazblue, Oboro Muramasa, Monster Hunter 3). So I'm happy.

(^__ ^ )

Iggy
8787th Post

"Re(4):Fighting games year in review" , posted Wed 24 Dec 04:12post reply

quote:
It's just that SFIV doesn't feel like Street Fighter to me.

Oh, come on. I know you mean visually, but you can't say that of a game that plays closer to SF2 than any other game where any of these characters have appeared since then.
quote:
Hell, the game's even being dubbed into english.
Wait, they dared replace Wakamoto by some random american dude for the overseas version?
HA! Give them some salt!

Spoon
1703th Post

"Re(4):Fighting games year in review" , posted Wed 24 Dec 04:40post reply

quote:

I always thought Chun-Li was the most oddly internationalized one of the whole bunch. She had spoken lines that were in Japanese ("Yatta!", "Kikkoken!", etc.), English ("Spinning Bird Kick!"), and Mandarin ("Xiexie").

Maybe it's actually an astoundingly thoughtful play from her story, that her time in Interpol has made her so fluent in multiple languages that even when she's fighting she shouts stuff in any given language.

But being that she was voiced by a Japanese person, everything she says sounds, well, Japanese-tinted. They'll probably decide to just take the boring route and grab somebody to say her lines with all the JP lines translated into English. But the SF2 fan in me hopes that they do something interesting with it.

Also, not counting grunts and such, I wonder who has the fewest spoken words in the game? Is it Zangief?

Iggy
8788th Post

"Re(5):Fighting games year in review" , posted Wed 24 Dec 04:56post reply

quote:
Also, not counting grunts and such, I wonder who has the fewest spoken words in the game? Is it Zangief?

Does "yoga" count as a word?
If it does, then, Blanka, I suppose.

Nekros
150th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Fighting games year in review" , posted Wed 24 Dec 20:37post reply

quote:

I always thought Chun-Li was the most oddly internationalized one of the whole bunch. She had spoken lines that were in Japanese ("Yatta!", "Kikkoken!", etc.), English ("Spinning Bird Kick!"), and Mandarin ("Xiexie").

Maybe it's actually an astoundingly thoughtful play from her story, that her time in Interpol has made her so fluent in multiple languages that even when she's fighting she shouts stuff in any given language.

But being that she was voiced by a Japanese person, everything she says sounds, well, Japanese-tinted. They'll probably decide to just take the boring route and grab somebody to say her lines with all the JP lines translated into English. But the SF2 fan in me hopes that they do something interesting with it.

In the console version you unlock the Japanese voices after beating the game for the first time. You can also swap between english and jap dub on a specific character instead of setting the whole spoken language for the game.

Nekros
151th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Fighting games year in review" , posted Wed 24 Dec 20:51post reply

Oh, I forgot:

SSFII HD Remix, well done and interesting in terms of gameplay tweaks but terrible in both graphics and animation.
KOF 2002 UM for the massive amount of balanced characters.
Tatsunoko vs Capcom that is really fun but have a terrible Capcom roster (the first choices are very good, but is near crap in the end).

KOF XII, except for the roster (no new faces, only "classic" chars)

Smash Bros Brawl, though I don't consider it a "real" fighting game.

KOF XII and BlazBlue.

SFIV. I believe that it has a fun and solid gameplay but I don't like it as a project with the SF2 devotion and SF3 reject thing in terms of cast and background storyline.

TreIII
159th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Fighting games year in review" , posted Thu 25 Dec 12:42post reply

Probably 98UM, for many of the reasons listed above. I really did not expect SNK to improve on this game as much as they did, and I'm loving them for the fact that they did.

That said, I have high expectations for 2k2UM next year. But one thing at a time, right? XD

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

I mean, let's forget the notion that Capcom even bothered to consider making another "Marvel Versus" style game. I'm also impressed with 8ing was able to really come out in style, this, along with Fate:UC, are probably the stuff that are going to be the real deal to put on their resumes, after having to deal with Naruto games for the last few years.

And if nothing else, it's damn fun, too.

Ehh...if it counts, Smash, easily. If not, probably 98UM.

KOF2K2UM. And if what a good friend told me comes to pass, maybe even Bushido Blade 3...

Sengoku BASARA X. As time went on, and the game got pushed back and delayed, and then the scene for it just went and dried up, I began to lose interest rapidly.

Thankfully, it wasn't too long until TvC would be announced in Famitsu in May. So, I guess it worked alright...

Dokuganryu wa Date jya ne you see?

Ishmael
3361th Post

"Re(4):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 04:44post reply

quote:
And if what a good friend told me comes to pass, maybe even Bushido Blade 3...

Could you elaborate on this?

Toxico
4610th Post

"Re(5):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 05:46post reply

quote:

I smell some of those "squaresoft president mailed me yesterday" posts

目に焼きつけて、死ぬがいい・・・
Last updated : 09/12/08 (58 personajes)

Maou
1556th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 06:18:post reply

quote:

I smell some of those "squaresoft president mailed me yesterday" posts

Wait, he doesn't e-mail you every night?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 27 Dec 06:32]

TreIII
160th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 06:43post reply

quote:

Believe it or not, a good pal o' mine actually is involved with the project, as the lead. He let me in on his "secret" about a week or so ago. I was actually inquiring about the status of another project, and he let that particular cat out of the bag.

This same person was involved in a number of other projects, both doujin and legit, over the last few years. This included Monster Ancient Cline, until creative and interpersonal disputes with ShoK caused him to take his leave. He still got paid for all his trouble, so no lasting skin off his nose.

So any way, now his newest thing is being the lead for Bushido Blade 3. I wasn't able to get THAT much outta him, but the follow snippets are what I did get.

* currently, the game is still at least 13 months away from being complete (so sometime 2010 is probably going to be the release date)

* will continue to use the Bushido Blade engine, and seeks to just add more to it (more weapons, stances and etc, is what I could glean); but in any case, OHKOs and all that good stuff will be back in style

* will be VERY, VERY gory; the game definitely is more of a Western/American-focused project

* will NOT be a continuation of the story from the last two games, and won't have any of its characters come back, due to the legal snafu with Light Weight (so sorry, no Tony Umeda)

* will be 360 exclusive, he and his team have no interest in developing the game for the PS3

* trying to shoot for showing off the game for the first time no later than Summer 09 (if not earlier)

* website, and other relevant information will arise "very soon"

Yeah, I know it all sounds good, but doesn't mean much until I, or rather, those actually involved with the project, start making it plain. Nevertheless, in the time I've known the guy, he hasn't given me reason to doubt him. Well, except for how Monster:AC started to fall apart quite rapidly, and didn't meet deadlines, but that was all beyond his personal control.... ^^;

Any way, that's all I got to say. And if I'm lying, may Red Falcon feel free to subdue me to any form of RL punishment fitting my "crime". ^^;

Maou
1556th Post

"Re(6):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 06:49post reply

He and his team only want 360? I would think that he'll develop wherever Square tells him to. Continue to use the Bushido Blade engine? From a decade ago? I realize that New Year's is the New April Fools, but still.

TreIII
161th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 07:02post reply

quote:
He and his team only want 360? I would think that he'll develop wherever Square tells him to.

While true, thus far, it seems he and his team get to choose what they wish to develop for. 360 is the only one he's interested in.

quote:
Continue to use the Bushido Blade engine? From a decade ago?

Well, obviously, it's not going to be 100% the same as the PSX classic. It's going to be upgraded and there's going to be a lot of differences.

Frankly, after having to deal with the Kengo games as the closest thing to a "spiritual follow-up", I'll be more than happy to return to something closer to the original engine.

Any way, I'm just reporting what I was told. I'll understand if you choose to exercise your personal "spirit of discernment", until more in the way of proof arrives.

Maou
1557th Post

"Re(8):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 07:10post reply

Fair enough. If this friend is Japanese, I'm interested in his opting for the Not Making Any Money strategy as far as platform choice goes, but otherwise, I guess it could be popular for the American hacknslash crowd on 360? ...Come to think of it, was Bushido Blade popular in any particular territory? It was among the flood of interesting weird things Square did with PSOne/FFVII money, and it's easy to forget what actually sold and what just caught your eye. Racing Lagoon???

TreIII
162th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 07:31post reply

quote:
Fair enough. If this friend is Japanese, I'm interested in his opting for the Not Making Any Money strategy as far as platform choice goes, but otherwise, I guess it could be popular for the American hacknslash crowd on 360?

Well, he made it plain: this was definitely an American/Western-centric project. That much was clear when he basically said it was going to be a "Very very very very bloody game" (his own words!).

If they work that "red-blooded American" angle, I think the game will do well enough, not necessarily in spite of it being 360, but perhaps because of it.

Oh, and he's not Japanese. He lives there now, and does his business there, but he's not a JP himself. He actually hails from Pennsylvania. Truth be told, if you are/were a part of the American East Coast FG scene in some way (like for Guilty Gear or etc.), you may have already met before.

quote:
...Come to think of it, was Bushido Blade popular in any particular territory? It was among the flood of interesting weird things Square did with PSOne/FFVII money, and it's easy to forget what actually sold and what just caught your eye. Racing Lagoon???

I wouldn't say that BB was an absolute smash hit, in any stretch of the imagination. But in any case, it obviously caught on enough, such that it got a sequel the following year, and a rather devoted following that was truly disappointed when Light Weight and Square broke company, and that effectively spelled the end of the series (or so we all thought).

Spoon
1705th Post

"Re(6):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 09:31post reply

quote:
This included Monster Ancient Cline, until creative and interpersonal disputes with ShoK caused him to take his leave. He still got paid for all his trouble, so no lasting skin off his nose.

Chipp Zanuff v5 from SRK

TreIII
163th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 13:55post reply

quote:
Chipp Zanuff v5 from SRK

*claps* Bravo.

Though, for the most part, he prefers to go by "AyaImmortal" as S/N now.

chazumaru
636th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(8):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 15:00:post reply

So Lightweight would have nothing to do with the project? What's the point? And why would that (and the focus on gore and American audiences) be much closer in spirit to Bushido Blade than Kengo? Or did I misunderstand the claim/goal?

Bushido Blade sold around 390.000 copies in Japan.
Bushido Blade 2 sold around 225.000 copies in Japan.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sat 27 Dec 15:04]

TreIII
164th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 15:47post reply

quote:
So Lightweight would have nothing to do with the project? What's the point? And why would that (and the focus on gore and American audiences) be much closer in spirit to Bushido Blade than Kengo? Or did I misunderstand the claim/goal?

Put it this way, it's going to be as much of a continuation of the older games as it's going to get. It's not going to be a 100% continuation obviously (Square doesn't even have the rights to the original characters or story), but Aya and his team are using aspects of the classic engine to new avail. That's good enough, in my opinion.

And yes, it looks like Light Weight's not going to be involved. But then again, seeing how the Kengo games sucked, maybe it's better that way. Getting the original devs is not a sure-fire means of a better game, after all. Plus, I don't think LW is interested in working with SE after what happened when they split...

Iggy
8792th Post

"Re(10):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 21:10post reply

quote:
But then again, seeing how the Kengo games sucked, maybe it's better that way.

Is this where we're supposed to laugh?
Or maybe you misunderstood your friend, maybe he wasn't talking of Bushido Blade, but of Samurai Spirits. Yeah, SSSen is going to be a hit in the US, that's for sure.

chazumaru
637th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(10):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sat 27 Dec 21:44:post reply

quote:
But then again, seeing how the Kengo games sucked

I am interested in an explanation of that statement, because this is the first time I read such an opinion. The Kabuki game for Xbox was average, but Kengo was full of interesting ideas and very respected among the few BB fans I knew.

As far as I remember, the essential problem with BB was that the community was already torn apart between BB1 and BB2, with many fans claiming BB2 betrayed the first one. These people were very supportive of the Kengo trilogy (I am not counting Kengo Zero for obvious reasons).

[edit] To answer the topic, quickly:

I went deep into World Heroes 2 Jet for the first time this year and I am surprised how much fun I have with the game, how much there is to study about this episode (and the series) in terms of design and testimony of its era, how many ideas and directions of WH were either ignored by other fighting games or only re-usd many years later. I used to have a nostalgic but condescending and halfway-ironic attitude toward the World Heroes series. This has completely changed in 2008. I wrote a big pile of text in French here (post#2092) if anyone who is not Iggy but speaks the language is interested (or even better, UNinterested) in World Heroes 2 Jet.

I am negatively surprised by pretty much everything regarding Street Most Boring Game Ever IV.

I am super impressed by XII. I love the looks, I love the direction it's going toward, I love the courage/stupidity of SNKP for financing such a game in such times. I love what I played of it at TGS (considering it was a really early version). Final result might be disappointing and I would have appreciated at least one more surprising (and/or female) character, but otherwise I am infatuated with KOFXII. And I had completely abandoned all hope about caring for KOF again.

RB2. I did not play many 2008 fighting game releases, so if we stick to those it should be the new Smash Brothers. Tatsucap will quickly replace it as I'll probably play it more in 2009.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

[this message was edited by chazumaru on Sat 27 Dec 22:07]

Ishmael
3362th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sun 28 Dec 05:09post reply

Thanks for the clarification on Bushido Blade. The thought that the game could be a SSSen blood-bath slouching around on the 360 fills me with dread but now at least I have a few more details about what might be coming up in the future.

TreIII
165th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Fighting games year in review" , posted Sun 28 Dec 12:39post reply

quote:
Is this where we're supposed to laugh?

I am interested in an explanation of that statement, because this is the first time I read such an opinion. The Kabuki game for Xbox was average, but Kengo was full of interesting ideas and very respected among the few BB fans I knew.

Go ahead and laugh, if you will. But I tried giving pretty much every game in the Kengo series (even Zero) a fair shake. I couldn't stand ANY of those games, and none of my fellows from our old Bushido crowd could do likewise.

I'll grant you that the series has some interesting ideas. But hey, many different games that I would come to hate did likewise.

quote:
As far as I remember, the essential problem with BB was that the community was already torn apart between BB1 and BB2, with many fans claiming BB2 betrayed the first one. These people were very supportive of the Kengo trilogy (I am not counting Kengo Zero for obvious reasons).

This is true.

But on the other hand, there were just as many fans of the second game that would defend it, just as strongly as those who would do so the first. These, like myself, are the ones who, more often than not, have no love for the Kengo games.

quote:
The thought that the game could be a SSSen blood-bath slouching around on the 360 fills me with dread but now at least I have a few more details about what might be coming up in the future.

While blood will definitely be a part, it's not exactly going to be a thing where the blood is going to try and cover up for poor gameplay. Gameplay DOES come first. He's not aiming to try and have this be another SS-SEN. He says he knows better than that, and I would hope so.

hikarutilmitt
485th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Fighting games year in review" , posted Mon 29 Dec 04:46post reply

quote:
If I recall correctly, not a single character out of MvC2's 56 had any counter,

This is somewhat incorrect.
Of all the characters that could possibly reasonably have a counter move, Magneto has a counter move.

Cammy has one with , as well.

On topic:

What fighting game surprised you (positively or negatively) the most?
Oddly, Street Fighter IV did both.

The first time I played it I had the unfortunate luck of playing when pretty much all of the arcade rats were there and it had already been at the arcade for a good while, so they already knew most/all of the breaking and SA goodness and I was trying to figure most of it out. Beginner mode was good for keeping this to a minimum, but the CPU is so weak it didn't serve any purpose, either.

2 months or so later I go back to play it and it's quite a bit different. I got my mind out of thinking I was playing ST or EX and just played it outright. Started learning to use SA appropriately and had a much better time with it, though it still hasn't given me that "this is awesome stuff" feeling I got with Zero 2/3 or EX+@/2+. The home version will change this, I am certain.

Sarcasm is about the only thing I can give here. Tekken 6 showed me how broken and pointless sequels can be when the previous game was already well worth playing. I'm hoping and EXPECTING Blood Rebellion to be better than this or at least be what 6 was supposed to be, because when I played 6 a few times it just felt like 5 with even more focus on offense and slightly prettier graphics.

VF5, no doubt. I still play it regularly and until SCIV came out it almost never left my 360. I have other things I'm playing at the moment but I can always go back and play VF5 and know I'm playing something good.